Tournament NeverUsed Snake Draft I: Week 2

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

art credit: Zephyr2007

Spreadsheet
Tournament Rules and General Guidelines

Matchups:

The New Bark Noctowls (4) vs (3) The Sav Mode Sjneasels
SS: Xiri vs Jrdn
SS: Davon vs Excal
SS: GW vs Lyss
SS: kay vs Lilburr
SM: EviGaro vs Realistic Waters
SM: poh vs Jytcampbell
ORAS: Abejas vs babyboyblues
Bo3: MrAldo vs Andyboy

The Pablodors (4) vs (4) The Solaceon Swellows
SS: Roseybear vs Vaboh
SS: lax vs atomicllamas
SS: snaga vs Expulso
SS: Meri Berry vs tko
SM: Maple vs Gefährlicher Random
SM: ima vs London Beats
ORAS: watashi vs Ren-chon
Bo3: mncmt vs Garay oak

The Only Rotom Fans (2) vs (5) The Dewford Duckletts
SS: Confide vs elodin
SS: Bouff vs Sabella
SS: Skysolo vs tlenit
SS: PinkDragonTamer vs Splash
SM: Osh vs Ajna
SM: 0NI vs Feliburn
ORAS: Chaitanya vs Evan.
Bo3: Teddeh vs Eternally

The Nimbasa Ninjask
(5) vs (2) The Coumarine Cramorants
SS: TDK vs Ho3nConfirm3d
SS: robjr vs Luck O' the Irish
SS: Sensei Axew vs Thiago Nunes
SS: Kushalos vs Decem
SM: Bushtush vs quziel
SM: Staxi vs pattek
ORAS: banks vs The Goomy
Bo3: Finchinator vs Pepeduce

Deadline is Sunday November 15th @ Midnight GMT -5

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
predictions, only gonna comment on matchups if I know both the guys playing or have strong feelings about one of the players

The New Bark Noctowls vs The Sav Mode Sjneasels
SS: Xiri vs Jrdn
SS: Davon vs Excal - Excal is really good, but I think Davon's week 1 loss can be somewhat attributed to him not being the most effective ORAS player + it being close overall
SS: kay vs Lilburr - I feel like Lilburr is the better overall player but that kay knows the tier better and is probably more likely to bring some wack bullshit that matchup fishes the fuck out of Lily
SM: Evi vs rw - I can never predict against rw...
SM: poh vs Jytcampbell - the memories of Jyt clutching out an NUPL game will never go away
Bo3: Bobby Dagen vs sjneider

The Pablodors vs The Solaceon Swellows
SS: odr vs Tony
SS: lax vs atomicllamas
SS: snaga vs Expulso
SS: Meri vs tko
SM: Maple vs Gefährlicher Random - one of the sm goats, can't bold against him in good faith
ORAS: watashi vs Ren-chon - assuming Ren-chon brings some variation of ted balance, even then I'm just very high on watashi as a player
Bo3: mncmt vs Garay oak

The Only Rotom Fans vs The Dewford Duckletts
SS: Confide vs elodin
SS: Averardo vs Sabella
SS: Skysolo vs tlenit
SS: pdt vs Splash
SM: Osh vs Ajna - I feel like usum nu is synonymous with osh at this point
SM: 0ni vs Feliburn - 0ni will probably bring some random nfe like frogadier
ORAS: Chaitanya vs Evan.
Bo3: Teddeh vs eternally - i think etern has a distinct advantage in 7 and 8 and probably has already innovated the next big thing in 6 to where he will win the series, but it should be close I think

went exactly even with the ape after week 1 (12/24), looking to gain some ground this week

SS: Xiri vs Jrdn - jrdn loses points for using a pre-dlc team last week, but i think he'll be more motivated to build in this mu. should be a good one
SS: Davon vs Excal - excal looked rly good against lax last week, whereas davon had questionable moments. i'm going with the upset this time
SS: kay vs Lilburr - i have a gut feeling that kay wont try and cheese, and i like lilburr's piloting skills in a mu of conventional teams
SM: EviGaro vs Realistic Waters - predicting against waters in SM is a mistake
SM: poh vs Jytcampbell - i think jyt is the better player and probably has better support behind him in SM
Bo3: Bobby Dagen vs Sjneider

SS: odr vs TonyFlygon
SS: lax vs atomicllamas - lax had a shaky g1, but i expect him to improve as the meta gets more clearly defined
SS: snaga vs Expulso - im almost afraid to see what snaga brings in SS after a truly wild exhibition in SM last week
SS: Meri Berry vs tko
SM: Maple vs Gefährlicher Random - i think grandom looked a lot better in his w1 mu than maple did
ORAS: watashi vs Ren-chon - fooly looked in-form in oras in week 1, hard to bold against him here
Bo3: mncmt vs Garay oak - Garay played really well last week, i think he has a sizeable edge in oras and SM

SS: TDK vs Ho3nConfirm3d - i think the kinds of teams tdk likes to play naturally do very well against ho3n's offensive style, and hes a better pilot
SS: robjr vs Luck O' the Irish - I think irish will go against the grain and surprise w/ a cool team this week
SS: Sensei Axew vs Thiago Nunes
SS: Kushalos vs Decem - kush vs elodin was an absolute mess, but i expect him to clean it up this week with a better team
SM: Bushtush vs quziel - bush looked rusty in w1, but i think another week of playing the tier should allow him to clean his play up a bit
SM: Staxi vs pattek
ORAS: banks vs The Goomy - i feel like goomy's willingness to go out there will work well against banks' more conventional style
Bo3: Finchinator vs Pepeduce - finch got all his bad luck out of the way week 1 and i think he has a sizeable edge in all 3 tiers

gogo duckletts!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
predicts! sorry my SM ones are so brainless lmao im too new for some of these. gl to all teams [especially the swellows]

:noctowl: The New Bark Noctowls (4) vs The Sav Mode Sjneasels (4) :sneasel:
SS: Xiri vs Jrdn - ok Jrdn is a fine player but 0 chance i predict him after he brought a OLD META team last week lmao what the hell. it also won somehow?? though to be fair he lost if odr hit a stone edge. hopefully the sneasels build more this week, which should be easier now that week 1 replays give teams a good sense of the meta.
SS: Davon vs Excal - slight upset pick here given that davon is the #1 overall pick, but i dont think he's as dominant as that placement suggests and excal played well vs lax, winning if not for a first turn wake at the end of the game. davon's team was super standard (Oops i didnt finish this one -- it was standard but good, though it p much had 6 of the top 8 mons, i think excal had some cool stuff to exploid that so edge to him)
SS: GW vs Lyss - gw brought no volt immunity week 1 so i want to predict against him just for that. fuk u gw. but he's def more established in the tier and enthusiastic abt building / playing the new meta (esp since he'll probably be in circuit playoffs). also one of the sneasels slots brought a team from pre dlc last week?? so idk if renny will have the team support needed to get this win.
SS: kay vs Lilburr - Lilburr's for sure a better player, even tho her win wk1 came through some fortunate flinches she had a solid team and id still favor her here
SM: EviGaro vs rw - sm nu = ss ru so evi is auto bold
SM: poh vs Jytcampbell - poh is cool and a room driver now (yey) but jyt is def a more estalished player, high chance
ORAS: Abejas vs babyboyblues - abejas probably a bit favored because bbb is new and i dont think he played particularly well against watashi, but that's a very tough opponent for someone making their first foray into the tier. bbb has received a lot of hype as a player, tho, and will probably do better in future weeks as he learns the tier more. he should also have good oras support from neider & the other nupl veterans on the team, so wouldnt be surprised to see a stronger performance (and a win) here
Bo3: Bobby Dagen vs sjneider - neider is a better player, has more understanding of each tier, and probably cares more about this tour

:rotom-fan: The Only Rotom Fans (5) vs The Dewford Duckletts (3) :ducklett:
SS: Confide vs elodin - Confide played an excellent game vs Tony week 1; his Mesprit tech hit perfectly, and he put tons of pressure on tony's solid & standard BO to get himself in position to do that. elodin also had an amazing tech hit perfectly with CUSTAP EGGY, which was amazing to watch. honestly this could go either way, im gonna guess confide (prob biased bc he beat my team) but legit anything can happen. hopefully confide wins so we can see the replay
SS: Averardo vs Sabella - i think they are equal as players -- sabella is more accomplished and prob has a higher ceiling, but he doesnt always reach it in these lower tier PLs (snakes?) so id say they are equal there. the only rotom fans' high number of active ss players will probably give avedo a building edge
SS: Skysolo vs tlenit - the above building edge doesnt apply to this mu because i think tlenit is a better player; after a lot of success with very cool PU teams I am personally excited to see what he uses in NU
SS: pdt vs Splash - pdt made a really aggro read vs me early on to try and get the edge by doubling his rhydon in on my crobat, except his spdef escav didnt force out my vapo strongly enough so i stayed in and kod the rhydon. he can make good aggro plays like that but sometimes the risk/reward bites u. in this mu i'd def say pdt is more established in nu and as a player in general, so he should be favored. despite what happened wk1 i hope he continues to play aggressively, easy to take ur foot off the gas once a big prediction goes wrong but im confident he'll get better at those reads
SM: Osh vs Ajna - osh is excellent in sm nu; ajna is an excellent player too, but after taking down another sm nu boss in gefarlicher random i think osh has the edge here. anything can happen though, this is an excellent matchup
SM: 0ni vs Feliburn - see evi prediction
ORAS: Chaitanya vs Evan. - chait prob could have taken his week 1 game, but less familiarity with the meta led him to fumble that lead a bit. his 8-2 or something record in ORAS RU this RU Snake makes me confident he can pick up ORAS NU at a high level too, esp if given teams that let him play more proactively
Bo3: Teddeh vs eternally - eternally's favored slightly in each old gen, but the point i had at the top abt ss building might mean teddeh can gain an advantage there. his ss game vs garay was extremely close. this should be a very competitive series, look forward to watching it

:ninjask: The Nimbasa Ninjask (7) vs The Coumarine Cramorants (1) :cramorant:
SS: TDK vs Ho3nConfirm3d - based on tdk's team last week i think he will matchup well vs ho3n's standard offenses. there was a quagsire, regirock, and porygon2... so yea things look good for the offense matchup, ho3n sticks to the same stuff most of the time which can be exploitable
SS: robjr vs Luck O' the Irish - wack that the only player im picking against is goated robjr... but with his team in a snake tiebreak and him unable to make last week's game, he will prob be less motivated for this tour than irish, and irish is good enough to take advantage of that. i mean robjr will obviously have a great shot if he puts effort in but he was subbed last week so im going to favor irish. (for what it's worth his sub won, so the finches definitely have a good bench too. idk. just let me find a way to not make this 8-0 ninjasks, alright)
SS: Sensei Axew vs Thiago Nunes - axew (on the sheet) (1-1 nu in snake) is more active/accomplished in nu, both are pretty good up-and-coming players but that gives axew the edge to me.
SS: Kushalos vs Decem - kush lost and decem won wk1 but ... it's still Kushalos, one of the nu greats. he brings more unconventional stuff than decem (see: np claydol :O) and that should work better this week, where having replays will mean he can ct standard now that there is an established standard meta.
SM: Bushtush vs quziel - as someone else said bush looked rusty week 1 but he is a better player and should def be favored here
SM: Staxi vs pattek - pattek is a friend, havent seen him in any subforum tours tho. idk if staxi plays sm nu that much but i know he's been active in these nu tours, plus he has finch's team support there, so edge
ORAS: banks vs The Goomy - banks is for sure good in oras nu and has more team support in the tier [even tho it's not strictly necessary since she knows the tier well]. goomy isnt bad but wasnt particularly impressive from week 1 game so i will stick with banks
Bo3: Finchinator vs Pepeduce - "'finch got all his bad luck out of the way week 1 and i think he has a sizeable edge in all 3 tiers' - evan" -me, i agree with that assessment, pepe is a respectable player but not versed in nu enough (and not quite skilled enough) to be favored versus the strong Bo3 pool in this tour

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
I dont know this tier, but i have been watching some games, soooo predicts!

The New Bark Noctowls 6 vs 2 The Sav Mode Sjneasels
SS: Xiri vs Jrdn - The former needs to step his game up in nu regardless he won last week. Latter has been fire as of late (outside of last weeks game) and im a believer he keeps carrying Sjneasels through this tournament as long he has up to date team. Otherwise nvm!
SS: Davon vs Excal - Davon is good, but so is Excal, if there was option to pick a tie, i would probs go for that. Davon wins in 26 turns.
SS: GW vs Lyss - Honestly I would love to see Lyss keep claiming W's in this tour. Been watching Lyss games lately and like a lot this lad! Unfortunately GW owns this tier soooo.... :< please prove me wrong
SS: kay vs Lilburr - Again one of those closer pairings and could go either way. Lilburrs game has been on point lately and I dont think that will change here
SM: EviGaro vs Realistic Waters - Usually I would probably highlight RW's name here, but I feel like there has been something missing and EviGaro never disappoints. She clutches this one.
SM: poh vs Jytcampbell - Fan of Poh whenever he keeps playing on his level, go get em!
ORAS: Abejas vs babyboyblues - I have to be honest here, i am not familiar with babyboyblues, but hopefully im about to after this one. Therefor i have to HL abejas in this
Bo3: Bobby Dagen vs Sjneider - Most likely we're looking forward to see 2-1 series and personally i do not mind that. Two good players and i feel like home crowd will keep Bobby Dagen slightly ahead in this series

The Pablodors 4 vs 4 The Solaceon Swellows
SS: odr vs TonyFlygon - OH! this is heat MU indeed. Last time I saw Tony playing NU he killed the competition and I have no reason to believe otherwise here. Im not sure who double checks his teams, but I see Garay Oak in BO3 meaning this should be more than fine.
SS: lax vs atomicllamas - Atomic is great lower tier player but so is Lax. Playing wisely Lax is ahead, but wouldnt be surprised if LLLLLLLamas brings with him a favorable match up.
SS: snaga vs Expulso - Snagas Snake went a bit better than Expulsos so im giving the edge therefor to Snaga. Same pretty much than with LLamas game, Expulso has every tools in his trick book to get match up favoring him.
SS: Meri Berry vs tko - Hmm, no idea about this one. Very close, but if I had to highlight one, it would be Meri Berry. The few games within last couple weeks I have seen from him has been solid playing.
SM: Maple vs Gefährlicher Random -
SM: ima vs London Beats - big alpha plays paired with strong mental wins games -ima. i guess this goes to ima again then!
ORAS: watashi vs Ren-chon - very interesting match up to follow, but NU is kinda ren-chons world no matter of gen. He keeps doing well. Not to forgot Watashi being excellent player, but again, only one can get highlighted
Bo3: mncmt vs Garay oak - I dont remember when i witnessed last time garay losing, so ill highlight him as long he keeps winning

The Nimbasa Ninjask 6 vs 2 The Coumarine Cramorants
SS: TDK vs Ho3nConfirm3d - Ho3ns game relies partially on match up and getting a slight edge there. If he finds a way to abuse shaky meta he will turn this around. TDK should win more often this pairing, but thats the beauty in BO1 games when u can mess with MUs
SS: robjr vs Luck O' the Irish - based on last weeks games Robjr seems to be top of this meta while Luck O' Irish still figuring things out. Kinda would like to see O' Irish finding his groove, i've enjoyed his games in earlier NU meta games
SS: Sensei Axew vs Thiago Nunes - Close one, but based on latest games I have seen from both I think Thiago Nuness performance has been better and deserves a highlight here
SS: Kushalos vs Decem - Clutchalos seems never get tired of winning and good for him. I believe he grabs another one from here and starts a new fresh streak after last weeks loss
SM: Bushtush vs quziel - Now after Bush is again running free in the wild I dont see anyone stopping this train. Rusty or not, just wait for it
SM: Staxi vs pattek - Interesting pairing and havent seen them playing too much NU personally, sooo ill just go with Staxi :man_shrugging:
ORAS: banks vs The Goomy - Banks is solid all arounder and i am not too familiar with The Goomy, so theres that unfortunately
Bo3: Finchinator vs Pepeduce - "against every odds" im highlighting pepe here for a good reason. Pepe is amazing player with capability to bring unorthodox stuff. This can and most likely will catch lot of opponents off guard and clutch games. In BO3 series there is room for off hits, but I do believe Pepe comes out of this with W

Last edited:

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
the addy is still flowing through my veins so im gonna throw my hat into the ring with some UNBIASED SS/ORAS predicts

Noctowls vs Sjneasels:

SS: Xiri vs Jrdn - did he bring an old meta team last week? yes. did he win off a dodge? also yes. i still think jrdn played it well, and assuming jrdn doesnt load in an old snake team again i'll favor him. avenge me, comrade.
SS: Davon vs Excal - davon played a fantastic SS game last week, and considering how consistent he's been in NU this gen there's not many ppl im bolding over him.
SS: GW vs Lyss - it was honestly only a matter of time, but here's the sorry dont know you predict. sorry lyss, don't know you.
SS: kay vs Lilburr - I think this is about 50/50. lilburr has more tourney experience from what i can tell but the early game last week was frankly messy, although when escav is out here flinching things perhaps that doesn't matter. kay had always been solid at figuring out new metas quickly and i'll give him the edge for that
ORAS: Abejas vs babyboyblues - Abejas is one of the few ppl still around and very much alive from ORAS days, so i was looking forward to seeing what he would bring. He proceeded to load a Teddeh RMT. im not mad, just disappointed. I'm inclined to think the noct's have the edge in oras support (tho them giving davon the special zard/special skunk team, a team that is probably a 4/10 team in the current meta, was bizarre) but at the very least abejas is def way more familiar with the tier.

Pablodors vs Swellows:

SS: odr vs TonyFlygon - this is a pure push from my perspective. i dont have reason to believe either have a bigger reason to care, and they both looked solid last week, with just some unfortunate things w odr pushing a stone edge wide left and tony running into a perfectly timed salac berry. should be a good one.
SS: lax vs atomicllamas - as of now i dont think there's really any reason to not bold lax against basically the entire tour pool.
SS: snaga vs Expulso - expulso has played much more NU from what ive seen, but that matters less in the new meta. gonna give him the edge here just cause i think he's likely more motivated. this is very much a game i can see coming down to someones tech hitting
SS: Meri Berry vs tko - i have no insight to add for this one. both shoulda won last week barring some mons style bs. formal prediction: whoever is able to faint more mons on the other team will win
ORAS: watashi vs Ren-chon - over the last year renchon has been one of the best players in oras and the laziest in the oras builder. feel like watashi has the edge as a player, and from what i can tell he gives enough of a shit to bring something that doesnt have a rough mu vs eurobalance

Only Fans vs Duckletts:

SS: Confide vs elodin - confide has been super consistent this gen in NU, props my man. elodin's just the more experience player overall tho, and the conversion p2 was neat. hopefully we'll see some more cool stuff. small edge here imo
SS: Bouff vs Sabella - think sabella's a bit better of a player
SS: Skysolo vs tlenit - from what ive seen tlenit is very much a player who thrives in the builder and likes winning games before they begin. the lack of NU experience isnt ideal in that lens, but he's a pretty solid player regardless. i'll bold here
SS: PinkDragonTamer vs Splash - just gonna throw some respect on the dudes name for their slam run
ORAS: Chaitanya vs Evan. - so idk who was responsible for chaitanya's prep last week, or if there was any, but the team choice there imo is pretty hard to justify vs someone who has basically demonstrated theyre perfectly fine loading up teddeh balance each week and outplaying. Evan could very well be crust but he didnt demonstrate he was last week imo. overall, if evan gives a shit i'd expect him to go positive in this pool.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)