Monotype New-age Ice (1600 peak)

There was a time before Home came out when I wanted to share a piece of something I had accomplished. Then Dynamaxing got banned shortly after. Needless to say, that ice age didn't last very long. But now that Home's out, and I'm well used to Dynamax not being allowed, here's a little something new I came up with.

Similar to the previous generation, I hit a solid high point (in this case, 1600) before slipping under after a mean streak of losses, so I might need a bit of guidance to help me get back up there

froslass trik.jpg

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond​

This was kind of an on & off thing I shared on the previous RMT, and a lot of you might be doubting this, but hear me out. Now that Jirachi's back and holding a stun gun to everyone's neck, this would prove to be the only way to guarantee I can level the playing field against it. Speedy scarf users would usually expect a sash and try to score a flinch or other opportunity for damage, only to fall for a mutually assured destruction The other big move is Switcheroo, which shuts down any other beefcakes hoping to take advantage of the fact that she normally hits like paper. Spikes give me an edge on the hazard game, and it leaves Shadow Ball as her attacking move. Other benefits include outpacing +speed Polteageist and Cloyster after a Shell Smash by just 1 POINT and KOing them with Shadow Ball, because it's super effective on one and melts the already poor special defense of the other

ninetales.png

Fimbulvetr (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Extrasensory​

Home's first blessing. Even with Aurora Veil no longer being AS exclusive, turns out she's still the best user for it. The other moves round out for STAB, coverage, or both. Freeze-Dry and Moonblast are pretty straightforward, but I can get why Extrasensory might seem unorthodox. At the time, I thought of how Poison-types usually like to step on her, and I wanted to give her a way to fight back. Psyshock wasn't cutting it, since Galarian-Weezing takes that right on the chin. And we'll talk about my ground coverage later, which admittedly doesn't always get the job done (also because Weezing usually floats over that)

kyurem.png

Cocytus (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt​

Home's second blessing. We all knew Dragon Dance was finally going to turn this thing into a menace, and it's kind of a bittersweet feeling that he's in proper Ubers now. There's a huge modification to what's usually recommended though: Substitute, and his HP investment. This investment gives him 405 HP, which gives him a little bit of needed bulk, but more importantly, 101 HP subs. The main target here is Galarian-Corsola, whose Night Shade can't break the bean bag in one hit, and other status moves can't touch. I didn't want Outrage to be pulling any confusion shenanigans, or to be deadlocked against fairies, so I went with the standard-issue bolt-beam coverage for moves

expand.png

Umaro (Darmanitan-Galar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn​

Pretty much THE only thing that's been left unchanged since my very first team's iteration. I'm hoping I don't need to explain too much about it, besides why there are two scarf bearers on the team, which is because Froslass is either giving up the scarf to something else, getting KO'd very quickly, or both. Flare Blitz hurts him hard when I need him against Steel, but it's the only way I can properly put a dent in Melmetal while he's still here. Earthquake's there over something like Superpower to act as my other poison killer, unless someone can change my mind

avalugg.png

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar​

I'm sure this might be the second-most confusing thing to most of you. It doesn't help that we're stuck with just four moves to put on a Pokemon. The basic gist of this is the usual physical wall, but you're probably wondering why there are no safety boots. With the current moveset, while he can't touch any of the ghosties like this, he can at least take away portions of a physical attacker's (such as Mimikyu) health, then tell him to shove off if he tries to get a boost. Froslass and my 6th pick lay out hazards too, so pushing things around has been a nice thing to have

piloswine.png

Woolly Bully (Piloswine) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Shard​

The chief beef. Covering the special attacks and setting up the other side of hazards is the hairball's role. Rock Slide is there to krump any outlying fire-types with safety boots on that Earthquake can't hit, and Ice Shard acts as my only way to get a priority attack off. The EV spread was a little something pulled from 7th gen, which mentioned something about Rock Slide guaranteeing a KO on Volcarona (who's coming back once the first half of the DLC comes out, so maybe that spread will become relevant again)

Problems:
  • Steel, obviously. There's no saving something from death against Melmetal, whose breaks through everything, though letting Avalugg die at least puts him down 36%, allowing Darmanitan to Flare Blitz him
  • Scarf-Darmanitan's still not the fastest thing in the world, because other viable scarf users tend to get the jump on him. Maybe it's time to invest in a better ice shard user?
  • Ninetales is my only true special attacker, leaving me fairly open to burns, Intimidate, and beefy boyz like Conkeldurr

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Fimbulvetr (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Extrasensory

Cocytus (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt

Umaro (Darmanitan-Galar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Roar

Woolly Bully (Piloswine) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Shard

Hi Rubicon solid peak and unique team here. However, I do have some suggestions for you in regards to your team.

Major Changes

:Mamoswine:
Piloswine ---> Mamoswine

Due to the nature of SS monotype being offensive and especially Ice teams, Mamoswine is a better option than Piloswine. Oblivious of course prevents you from a faster taunt user from punishing you. Focus Sash allows you to guarantee setup Stealth Rock. Endeavor allows you to bring the opposing Pokemon down to 1HP assuming you are down to your sash, which you can subsequently remove with Ice Shard. Adamant nature is fine to maximize power and a to have a stronger priority as there are not many notable Pokemon aside from Bisharp (which runs Adamant nature) that would outpace you. Mamoswine will also hit harder than Piloswine vs Steel teams, which you say you struggle with.

:Froslass: ---> :Weavile:
Froslass ---> Weavile

Although you present some justification for your unorthodox Froslass set, it could be a reason as to why you have fallen from your peak on the ladder. A Choice Band Weavile is a great wallbreaker paired with your Galarian Darmanitan, as it is able to remove key items from your opponents Pokemon with Knock Off, dent Steel- and Rock-types with Low Kick, and lastly, give you a stronger form of priority with Ice Shard as you stated in your "Problems" section at the end of your RMT.

Minor Changes

:Ninetales-Alola:
Alolan Ninetales

Extrasensory here does not accomplish much, instead, Encore can be used to punish setup users who want to set up alongside your Aurora Veil. Encore can also grant free setup for Kyurem-B if the opposing Pokemon is locked into a passive.

:Kyurem-Black:

Kyurem-Black

Without Chansey existing for the time being in Gen 8, the HP investment on Kyurem-B is not that practical, and you'd rather maximize your Attack investment to hit as hard as possible. Galarian Corsola is not the most common mon in the meta in the first place and when you encounter it, it will likely go for Will-O-Wisp or Strength Sap as you are able to Substitute on it freely regardless.

:Avalugg:
Avalugg

Avalugg becomes a far more reliable hazard remover while holding Heavy-Duty Boots over Rocky Helmet as it won't take Stealth Rock damage or perhaps a Toxic Spikes poison as it switches in. Not much to say here, but phazing with Roar is not needed as much over having reliable STAB move such as Avalanche.

That's all the suggestions I have, hope you find success with the team!

:Ninetales-Alola: :Kyurem-Black: :Weavile: :Mamoswine: :Darmanitan-Galar: :Avalugg:
(click on the sprites for the import)

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi Rubicon, Splash did a very nice job covering up patches for this team I have an optional additional suggestion that I think would help your team. These changes are not mandatory, they just hit different threats to your team than Splash's changes.

:weavile:
:darmanitan-galar:

I would switch their items for this main reason. Your team struggles against Choice Scarf Jirachi which is very common in Monotype right now both on Steel and Psychic teams. Weavile with a Choice Scarf can revenge kill that where as right now you can only hope you don't get flinched down and try to attack it. Choice Scarf Weavile can also revenge kill +2 Cloyster with Foul Play, or if it tries to setup on Weavile Low Kick two times should be able to KO it if Aurora Veil isn't up. The other reason being is Galarian Darmanitan is a phenomenal wallbreaker with Choice Band thanks to Gorilla Tactics, so it does not mind losing its ability to beat faster threats as it can threaten defensive Pokemon like Toxapex and Corviknight with more ease.

:kyurem-black:

Splash's suggestion was fine to change it to maximum EVs in speed, however since I am not using Choice Band Weavile I think this set can work better for you there. I know this was also in your team originally so coolness. I think if you wanted to run your 52 HP EVs on Kyurem-B to create 101 HP Substitutes that is fine, since Galarian Corsola is a pain. Again this suggestion mainly pairs with switching Galarian Darmanitan's and Weavile's items.

Here are the set changes: https://pokepast.es/81cf248f34587410
Hope you enjoy both versions of the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)