Battle Stadium New team any help

Been playing for years just going through the games now after i got my ass kicked by my buddy, i said screw it, and trained competitive.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon

my special attacker. If my main sweeper doesn’t work i send out the three headed monster. Try to just straight overpower with nasty plot, and with 2 straight stab moves and one to take down those pesky fairy types. It usually last maybe one or two rounds.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bounce

my main man right here. Absolutely love this guy. After setting up dragon dance, then depending on what im facing, either dynamax to get even more speed with stab using airstream. My opponents usually quit or forefeit one he keeps going. dragon dance, life orb and moxie all together just pack that brute strength that every body hate to play against.

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 100 Def / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

my sorta tanker. Love setting up for my leech seed, or sleep powder to a mon that dynamaxs. He’s here now because of how heavy rain teams are. It’s superbulky and takes hits also helps get rid of fairy’s so it’s great

Excadrill (M) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

my fast whack a mole, kinda straight edge with swords dance, into iron head and earthquake, to usually get rid of pex or pesky bulky moms. Now poison jab, is there to annoy been playing around with it and find it actually does come in handy

Coalossal-Gmax (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Rock Blast

newest member of my team, here when i see a cinderace, ran into one too many of focus sash cinderace usuing counter and whipping out my gyarados. So gmax with rocks turns into constant damage. My hazards and burn mon,

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 44 HP / 160 Atk / 164 SpD / 140 Spe
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break

my big setter obviously use him first setup with taunt against moms that want to try to outsert me up. relfect and light screen make it so my gyarados can usually live against what he’d die too. And spirit break Stays when pesky hydration is here

my main goal is to straight overpower you, but i soon realized i can’t always do that. So i played around Wirh a couple of different mons, and found that this team just works but any advice, because i notice i really lack when it comee to trick room

Last edited:
I believe that there are multiple flaws in the team and one is your pokemon don't have the move protect on them which is a really good move in Doubles. I also think that you might not be running the proper sets or offering your Pokemon proper support.

The first thing I would do is remove Coalossal. Coalossal is a really good Pokemon when used correctly by having the proper support that it needs, but you have nothing that will help Coalossal function. Instead, you are running what appears to be a single battle set by having Stealth Rocks and Will-o-Wisp as well as running Heavy Duty boots as your item when Entry Hazards are not common or all that good in the Doubles and more specifically VGC format. If you want to run Coalossal then I would pair it with Dragapult and give Coalossal Weakness Policy so that you can hit yourself with Surf, get the Damage buffs from Weakness Policy and start going fast by switching your ability to Steam Engine as that is the best way to run that Pokemon.
Because you say you lack when it comes to Trick Room I would replace it with something that can better deal with that weakness.

Instead, I would replace Coalossal for Chandelure

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave
- Imprison

This gives you the ability to lead Chandelure against TR teams and use Imprison so that they can't use TR anymore, because you also have TR.

Other changes I would do are on the more minor side of things, but I believe potentially could help if you want to give them a try.

Venusaur @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Venusaur I feel like Wide Lens would allow you to hit those Sleep Powders more accurately and that maybe being a Tank with Leech Seed is too slow of a strategy. I potentially would even change Giga Drain for a higher damaging move just to be able to contribute more than just sleeping things.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon

Maybe Leftovers could be good, but I would say that you can't rely on getting up Nasty Plot 100% of the time and so Life Orb offers more damage if you don't. Timid also is better than Modest just because after you do get a Nasty Plot I feel like you are strong enough.

Excadrill @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 60 HP / 28 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect

I don't think Excadrill benefits too much from a Wiki Berry, so I instead was originally going to suggest Focus Sash, but since I put that on Chandelure then I would say try Weakness Policy as Excadrill can also be a strong Dynamax Pokemon.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Protect

Moving Life Orb to Hydreigon leaves Gyarados without an item, however, I think that Lum Berry might be able to help you even more than Life Orb as it means you can heal off burns or paralysis or sleep which are all things that stop Gyarados from doing its job of being a strong and fast attacker.

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Spirit Break
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Lastly is Grimmsnarl who I switched to a more standard spread. I don't know what yours is meant to do, but I think that all you need is some good survivability to set those screens and after that you are fine, so If you have any specific reason for your spread I would love to know, but as you never really explained the specifics then I am just going to offer up another option.
https://pokepast.es/f4a520883564d1e2

I believe that there are multiple flaws in the team and one is your pokemon don't have the move protect on them which is a really good move in Doubles. I also think that you might not be running the proper sets or offering your Pokemon proper support.

The first thing I would do is remove Coalossal. Coalossal is a really good Pokemon when used correctly by having the proper support that it needs, but you have nothing that will help Coalossal function. Instead, you are running what appears to be a single battle set by having Stealth Rocks and Will-o-Wisp as well as running Heavy Duty boots as your item when Entry Hazards are not common or all that good in the Doubles and more specifically VGC format. If you want to run Coalossal then I would pair it with Dragapult and give Coalossal Weakness Policy so that you can hit yourself with Surf, get the Damage buffs from Weakness Policy and start going fast by switching your ability to Steam Engine as that is the best way to run that Pokemon.
Because you say you lack when it comes to Trick Room I would replace it with something that can better deal with that weakness.

Instead, I would replace Coalossal for Chandelure

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave
- Imprison

This gives you the ability to lead Chandelure against TR teams and use Imprison so that they can't use TR anymore, because you also have TR.

I’ll give him a try, whenever i do use Coal, he does wonders espiclaly with steam engine, and setting up for more pain. But def will try him, idk how well he will work on singles tho

Other changes I would do are on the more minor side of things, but I believe potentially could help if you want to give them a try.

Venusaur @ Wide Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Venusaur I feel like Wide Lens would allow you to hit those Sleep Powders more accurately and that maybe being a Tank with Leech Seed is too slow of a strategy. I potentially would even change Giga Drain for a higher damaging move just to be able to contribute more than just sleeping things.

what move would you recommend instead of giga drain? Wide lens over black sludge? I mean i know it has more accuracy and all but wouldn’t black sludge be the better since leech seed is out. Venasaur is the only one i could even see benefiting from protect tho

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon

Maybe Leftovers could be good, but I would say that you can't rely on getting up Nasty Plot 100% of the time and so Life Orb offers more damage if you don't. Timid also is better than Modest just because after you do get a Nasty Plot I feel like you are strong enough.

i agree, leftovers does better i switxhed the two with gytrados and it just doesn’t feel right. Def gonna try that modest nature.

Excadrill @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 60 HP / 28 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Protect

I don't think Excadrill benefits too much from a Wiki Berry, so I instead was originally going to suggest Focus Sash, but since I put that on Chandelure then I would say try Weakness Policy as Excadrill can also be a strong Dynamax Pokemon.

never thought of weakness policy, i like that. Still can’t do protect I’m more offensive then trying to save them when they will get hit next turn if i use it.. what would another option be instead of protect?

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Protect

Moving Life Orb to Hydreigon leaves Gyarados without an item, however, I think that Lum Berry might be able to help you even more than Life Orb as it means you can heal off burns or paralysis or sleep which are all things that stop Gyarados from doing its job of being a strong and fast attacker.

life orb always belongs on Gyarados, espically with moxie and dragon dance. by the time he’s usually out and ready, there isn’t many mons who will stand up to him, espically when he’s dynamaxed. can’t do protect on him, it’s just a bad move, where earthquake comes in takes out pex, slash, and other mons who usually can 2hko my Gyarados.

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Spirit Break
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Lastly is Grimmsnarl who I switched to a more standard spread. I don't know what yours is meant to do, but I think that all you need is some good survivability to set those screens and after that you are fine, so If you have any specific reason for your spread I would love to know, but as you never really explained the specifics then I am just going to offer up another option.

for gsnarl, i have the spread so he can be kinda bulkier, and little more longevity i tried the basic snark spread, it didn’t work the way i like using him. I usually taunt for someone that i know have sub, will, then set up straight into my sets.

i usually don’t do doubles, 3vs3 is where i usually go. But I’ll try the chandelure, also with protect i never run it, it just never been one of my favorites.
But I’ll try these changes and see what they do

This is the actual vcg doubles team I’ve been using

Excadrill (M) @ Aguav Berry
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

keep his basic and simple, iron head for those pesky fairies. Earthquake just does. Rapid spin to get rid of the pesky hazards. And swords dance to out power. whneevr i see a opponent who i know will run a tyranitar or a team that will run something that can easily take out my gyarados i usually will run him.

Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 88 Def / 148 SpD
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break

he’s built different but for a good reason. Hefty attack to do damage incase it’s needed, def and hp to maintain some sort of bulk. But usual set up for gsnarl.. love setting him up, and then let him get wasted to put in one of my many sweepers.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Bounce

my beast! my go toguy for most situations. High attack high speed, moxie, dragon dance and life orb. Make this mon, a force to be reckon with. Add in max airstream, he’s gonna 9/10 always outspeed you after that and destroy whatever chance you have.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

my bulky Karen, helps defeat those pesky rain teams. Sludge bomb goes after the fairies. Leech seed helps me maintain a balance, against a substitue, or just annoy my opponent.

Hydreigon (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon

my special sweeper, ghost killer. Nasty plot into anything with leftovers

Togekiss @ Mago Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Psychic

meed this help with this one, i know dazzling gleam follow me and air slash. Psychic is there to go a giants most obvious threats. but he usually last a decent amount

notice I’ve been having issues with coaloassal with steam engine getting surfed unto

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Since the original team was supposed to be Battle Stadium Singles I went ahead and changed the tag. Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like this to be changed.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Cool team,

First off I'd change your Gyarados to Jolly. The ability to outspeed max speed Dragapult at +1 is a Big Deal, and Gyarados simply has enough power. It forces mons like phydef Corvi and phydef Lax to Dynamax to avoid the guaranteed OHKO with +1 Geyser in Rain, so I don't really see the need for added power. In fact a lot of Life Orb Gyarados usage have been just dropping Dragon Dance entirely, as the damage taken on the DD turn really makes dynamaxing inefficient in effective HP gained. Waterfall / Power Whip / Bounce is always used, and Outrage OHKOs opposing Hydreigon and Dragapult, but EQ can be used as last slot move. I don't see you having Toxapex issues though, so I think I prefer Outrage on this.

Excadrill's Poison Jab doesn't really hit anything. If you like rolling the dice, even moves like Horn Drill have a bigger payoff for the 30% chance. Lum Berry or Weakness Policy is also a pretty great item on SD excadrill, Lum especially vs Yawn Snorlax stuff. You don't have another Yawn counterplay so Lum here probs works for the team.

Grimmsnarl: EVs: 44 HP / 160 Atk / 164 SpD / 140 Spe is inefficient because it mathematically wastes EVs (160 Atk EVs = 156 Atk EVs at level 50) and also because you want to prioritize HP over SpD. 252 HP / 92 Def / 172 SpD Careful is the spread i recommend. If 160 Atk hits some benchmark, try calcing at level 50 to re-do your EVs.

I really don't see you having too big an issue with Trick Room with Taunt, Sleep Powder, and Screens lasting longer than Trick Room, but if you are really having issues you could consider more bulk on Venusaur to let it tank the CB Fishious Rend and Max Quake from Rhyperior so you can sleep and neuter them.

Finally, if it were up to me, sorry but personally I don't think Coalossal is viable so I would just use Hippowdon as your SR setter and get a different Togekiss solution - something like NP Rotom-H would work with the setup-support oriented team. If you don't end up being able to pick a mon to drop for a Rotom-H you should probably try Weakness Policy on the Excadrill so it can at least win 1v1 vs the Dynamax Togekiss. I'm not going to try changing too much of the Pokemon, so I'll just tweak some of the sets and call it a day, but if you are interested in winning more games I'd definitely recommend you try the last bit out.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)