New to competitive and want some advice

I am new to competitive pokemon and would like some advice about my team please, and sorry if my English is not that good.

歩く獣 (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

I have heard from my friends that landorous therian is a good choice, so I copied one of their sets and so far, it had just been my first pokemon that sets up stealth rocks, with not much use other than u-turn damage and knock off support, it usually is one of the pokemon I sacrifise if stealth rocks are still active, I want to ask if the moveset is good enough or is choice scarf a better choice for landorous.

夜空の月明かり (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Knock Off

Another pokemon that my friend said is fantastic, so far serves as a wall and forcing dragons to switch, wish and then switching to another teammate, and knocking off items, but i am thinking if i should switch knock off for protect or teleport so wish could be more effective, the uses for it now is mainly see the moves of opposing pokemon and wall dragons like Dragapul

心を落ち着かせる波 (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

A member I got because i lose to it once, doesnt generally have much usage except for aqua jet on a fast pokemon, have not yet encounter a situation where i could freely increase my attack with belly drum and mainly keep using aqua jet, is the team member i am most likely considering to switch, but is doubtful because of the lack of water types in the tier.

ブレイジングスチール (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Heatran set my friend made for me, I found it to be the most useful because of the immune to burn ,sandstorm and poison, and could use toxic on a lot of pokemon, while earth power get rid of steel and poison types that can't be poisoned, taunt is very situational but i would use it on pokemon such as shuckle and stealth rock users, but now considering to switch for a better moveset, idea is toxic stall and walling attacks.

海辺の街の守護者 (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost
- Mystical Fire

My main damaging attacker, able to kill one or two pokemon every game, and partner well with heatran, maybe thinking of replacing roost with a damaging move and letting clefable wish heal latios, and maybe replace life orb with soul dew, sonce the damage after attack is pretty high. considered using latias but my friend said it can't kill most pokemon like latios, so also want advice on that if can.

ゴッド・オブ・ウォー (Tapu Koko) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

my electric type pokemon, but i am thinking of replacing it for another since i have too many fairy types, but so far can be useful for certain games with roost and thunderbolt, the terrarin also prevents sleeping which is great when dealing with spore mushrooms, but perhaps there is a better electrical pokemon choice.

I am ranked at about 1100 and would appreciate all the help i can get, thank you for reading.

i used your team to try and see how good it was. it work pretty well, but I think that it needs more variety. the team is pretty weak to poison types and steel types. (you are walled by defensive corviknight's for example) so maybe take out tapu koko for a grass or steel type (I prefer kartana or bisharp)

i used your team to try and see how good it was. it work pretty well, but I think that it needs more variety. the team is pretty weak to poison types and steel types. (you are walled by defensive corviknight's for example) so maybe take out tapu koko for a grass or steel type (I prefer kartana or bisharp)
thank you for helping me, i hope you have a great day

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
hey there, welcome to smogon! always great to see new faces around here. i think you have a solid foundation for a team here, however, i think there can be a few changes made to give this team a stronger structure and help with deal with a couple threats that you might deal with down the line. the following is a list of things that I consider problematic with/for your team; pult, kyurem, rillaboom, kartana, heatran, lack of removal, no water resist, and difficulty dealing with fatter builds. I've come up with some ideas that could potentially help you with what I've listed.

minor changes

current :clefable: set -> this :clefable: set

changing to this clefable spread allows you to patch up your weakness to pult & kyu, adding a semi reliable switch in to these mons on to the team while still maintaining a physically defensive presence for absorbing things like knock off or to check physical attackers that could cause you some trouble. this spread of evs has been gaining popularity and the first person ive seen post about it is Yugon from the teambuilding lab thread, you can read his explanation here. in conjuction with heatran, i think this will be sufficient counterplay to pult & kyurem. i put twave on to clefable because i really dont see the point of having wish on this team, so i put twave on clefable. twave can help cripple faster threats like pult to make them easier to deal with or you can just twave things that might cause you some trouble and hope for them to get full para'd.

current :landorus-therian: set -> this :landorus-therian: set

this is overall a small change and theres not a lot to explain, i dumped more physdef into lando to help you deal with things like garchomp. i put defog on lando to give you removal on this team. i put toxic on lando instead of knock off to help you cripple garchomp, opposing lando, zeraora and other things of that nature. since you have clefable with knock off i feel like there was enough flexibility to put toxic on lando. if you feel like it you can dump even more physdef into lando but i like to have a little personally.

rocks > toxic on :heatran:

im putting rocks on heatran as im removing them on lando and I do not intend on clefable being a rocker on this team

big changes

:azumarill: -> :urshifu:/ :rillaboom:

azu is a very mu fishy mon in the current meta and doesnt really fit on many builds other than hyper offense. sure bdrum is cool and can have some merit but having azu in this slot really limits the breaking ability of the team. azus poor speed tier doesnt really help either. I saw rillaboom being discussed here and 100% agree that it can be a great member for the team. glide also gives you some speed control, with glide being incredibly strong vs offense and banded rilla being one of the best breakers in the tier. I didnt want to just echo what everybody in the thread has been saying so i decided to give another option i think can be just as optimal as rilla. Waterfu can also be a great addition to the team. Waterfu pairs well with koko as they can removed each others checks and wear down their shared checks. Surging Strikes is a incredible option to annoy fatter teams and offensive leads, as well as being able to muscle past mons that will click sub like kyurem. Aqua Jet is also fairly reliable priority being able to revenge kill the majority of sweepers in the tier. Waterfu also acts as a soft check to tran which i did state can be annoying for you to deal with, however, it does have limited switchins. I'll leave two portables of the team (there is going to be a slight difference in them based on my next mon) at the end of the rate and you can see which mon you like to use more.

:latios: -> :dragonite:

latios is a pretty suboptimal pick currently and you already have team members that can annoy the mons youre trying to break with it. I saw the team was weak to kartana, rillaboom and heatran. This is a pretty big task for one slot to deal with but thankfully theres a mon that can deal with them. I thought dragonite would be the perfect addition to the team, while not just checking the mons I listed previously, but acting as a secondary water resist. multiscale can also give you an out vs some shenanigans' you might come across. defensive dnite is obviously a set im going to mention, however, I think if you decide to urshifu you can get away with running a defensive ddnite set. this can give you a late game sweeper after koko/shifu/tran get through the opponents defensive backbone. you can still go regular defensive dnite if you wish but i think defensive ddnite can be a fun pick because who doesnt like sweeping with dnite. if you pick rillaboom > urshifu i think youre mandated to go regular defensive dnite as you dont have the luxury of having two heatran soft checks like you would with wetshifu + dddnite.

importables
:tapu-koko::urshifu::clefable::heatran::landorus-therian::dragonite:
:tapu-koko::rillaboom::clefable::heatran::landorus-therian::dragonite:

hopefully this rate is helpful and you have fun with this team! obviously it is your team so you have final verdict on what can be changed, so you can take bits of what i changed or you can just take all of it. if you have any further questions, if i missed something or you come across a threat you don't really know how to deal with, feel free to pm me here on smogon! take care!

thanks for the help, i found this really important as i have trouble understanding match-ups, i really appreciate the time and effort gone in the post to help me out and thanks again for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)