New to competitive, first weather team [SUN]

As the title says, this is both one of my first teams and my absolute first weather-based team. It's based off of the sun, and it's worked surprisingly well against the teams I've battled so far, including other weather teams.

The order of my 'mons doesn't matter; I don't always lead with one in particular, although I have preferences. Unless it's threatened by team preview or it's another sun team (who I'd expect to set up weather for me), I'll try to get Espeon or Ninetales out first.

Changes to original movesets are bold, while things I'm considering changing in the future will be red.

The Screener​

Espeon@Light Clay (252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Def)
Timid Nature//Magic Bounce
``Light Screen
``Reflect
``Hidden Power Fire
``Psychic

Espeon is obviously my screener. Set up whatever she can (usually Reflect first, unless the first Pokemon the opponent uses is a special attacker), then hopefully switch out for later screens. Unsuspecting Foretress that switch in on her don't appreciate the Hidden Power, while Psychic is the STAB of choice.
[[Here the hidden power type is what I'm most reconsidering. It gets a sun boost and hits unsuspecting scizor/foretress/ferrothorn, but other than that it's not too useful. Morning Sun would be nice to have since this is a sun team, but I don't want to sacrifice a screen or be completely walled by Dark-types.]]
Espeon will be the first to go when I make changes. She will most likely be switched for a Heatran or Volcarona, depending on which performs better in tests. Heatran will be of the Magma Storm trapping variety, while Volcarona will be a bulky Quiver Dancer with Morning Sun for heals.

The Sun
Ninetales@Leftovers (144 HP, 252 SpA, 112 Spe)
Timid Nature//Drought
``Sunny Day
``Flamethrower
``Solarbeam
``Hidden Power Ground

My weather-inducer. Not much likes to take a Sunny Day boosted Flamethrower to the face, and SolarBeam/Hidden Power Ground mop up most of what doesn't mind it (water types and Heatran). Sunny Day gives her an edge in weather wars and can force switches.
[[Again, hidden power type is up for speculation. When I chose my team's powers I mostly focused on what I'd need for threats or counters; Ninetales is mostly stopped by fire types, and water HP is weakened in the sun. Sunny Day is there for weather wars, and it's helped win against sandstorm teams for me.]]

The Defensive Sweeper
Latias@Leftovers (252 HP, 228 Def, 28 Spe)
Bold Nature//Levitate
``Calm Mind
``Dragon Pulse
``Recover
``Psyshock

Once Latias is behind screens, her defenses are very strong, usually allowing her to set up one or two Calm Minds. Dragon Pulse is an accurate STAB that won't drop her Special Attack and force her out, while Recover sponges up damage she takes. SolarBeam was for sun utility, but Psyshock, after a few boosts, can OHKO Blissey and Eviolite Chansey, two major threats here.
[[SolarBeam has been changed to Psyshock; I had it there for a sun-based attack, but I haven't had anything I've used it on over Dragon Pulse so far. Psyshock is an option to hit Blissey harder. Defensive spread, especially behind dual screens, helps her set up Calm Minds and sweep.]]

The Wisher Wall
Vaporeon@Leftovers (248 HP, 252 Def, 8 Spe)
Bold Nature//Water Absorb
``Ice Beam
``Hidden Power Grass
``Wish
``Protect

A relatively bulky wish-passer. She absorbs threatening water type moves and occasionally forces switches. Ice Beam takes care of Dragons that she encounters while Hidden Power Grass hits opposing Water types. Wish, with HP investment, can strongly heal just about anything on the team, and with Protect, she can take the heal for herself.
[[ No water type moves because of the sun, but Ice Beam still does good damage. Considering changing hidden power type because of all the SolarBeamers I have on this team already, but it catches Swampert by surprise when they'd switch out otherwise.]]
Vaporeon is most likely being replaced with a counter to rain teams. Current thoughts are a Zapdos or a Magnezone.

The Sun-Speed Sweeper
Venusaur@Black Sludge (4 HP, 76 Att, 176 SpA, 252 Spe)
Lonely Nature//Clorophyll
``Earthquake
``Growth
``Solarbeam
``Sludge Bomb

An obvious choice for the sun, Venusaur is a dangerous force with boosted speed. If he can get a Growth in, Solarbeam wreaks havoc on just about anything that doesn't resist it (and a few that do). Sludge Bomb is another STAB. Earthquake and a slightly more attack-oriented EV spread could be an option for Heatran. Leech Seed has been replaced with Earthquake and the EVs/nature to run it effectively.
[[No Sleep Powder because of the accuracy, although a reliable status inducer would be nice to have. Speed EVs could be reduced slightly in favor of bulk or attacking power on either side, but it lets Venusaur be somewhat quick outside of the sun if need be.]]
Venusaur has been made into a dual-attacker, with Earthquake in lieu of Leech Seed. EVs are still up for speculation, but, after a Growth, not much can handle his attacks. It's possible that I may change Sludge Bomb out for Sunny Day.

The Spinner and Physical Attacker
Donphan@Leftovers (252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def)
Adamant Nature//Sturdy
``Rapid Spin
``Earthquake
``Fire Fang
``Ice Shard

A necessary part of this team, as Spikes and Stealth Rock can take a large chunk of Ninetales' HP off if set up. Toxic Spikes can be absorbed by Venusaur, while Donphan can spin away other hazards. His attacking options give him a powerful STAB in Earthquake, a sun-boosted Fire Fang, and a decent priority move that finishes off Focus Banders and hits flying types hard.
[[Fairly physically defensive attacker and my team's spinner. Fire Fang and Ice Shard for sun-boosted and priority coverage, as most think that Donphan usually carries only RS and EQ for attacks from what I've seen. Sturdy, after leftovers, helps him guarantee removal of hazards against non-ghosts unless many layers of Spikes are down.]]
Fire Fang may be switched out for Stealth Rock, but if I run a Heatran, that will be my SR setup. Fire Fang has proved itself useful under the sun and out of it for removing unsuspecting Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc.

Potential Future Teammates
Espeon Replacements

Heatran@Wide Lens OR Leftovers (220 SpA, 252 Spe, 36 HP)
Timid Nature//Flash Fire
``Magma Storm
``Earth Power
``Taunt
``Stealth Rock

Volcarona@Leftovers (240 HP, 216 Def, 52 Spe)
Bold Nature//Flame Body
``Quiver Dance
``Bug Buzz
``Fiery Dance
``Morning Sun

Vaporeon Replacements

Zapdos@Leftovers (124 HP, 236 SpD, 148 Spe)
Timid Nature//Pressure
``Thunderbolt
``Heat Wave
``Roost
``Hidden Power Grass

Magnezone@Leftovers (4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe)
Timid Nature//Magnet Pull
``Thunderbolt
``Hidden Power Fire
``Flash Cannon
``Volt Switch​

Aside from Ninetales herself, Fire Fang on Donphan, and Hidden Power Fire, nope. SolarBeam is my main use of the sun (I tried to make the team boosted by the sun but not reliant on it), and the others' attacks are for boosted coverage.

What would you recommend changing for a dedicated fire abuser?

Hi. Dragonite is extremely dangerous once it sets up. As such, I suggest Stealth Rock > Fire Fang on Donphan to limit its opportunities of doing so.

Good luck :)

This doen't seem like espeon beneits you a great deal. With Donphan, Magic Bounce is kinda redundant, and Dual Screens don't help your team a great deal because it's pretty bulky; even Venusaur itself is a fairly bulky mon, especially with Leech Seed. I would suggest potentially testing Volcrona over Espeon as a powerful cleanup sweeper and win condition. Since your team as a whole seems to have a bulky offensive theme, a bulky Quiver Dance Volcorona is the set I would suggest. Additionally, it has pretty cool synergy with Latias, because Latias weakens Heatran for Volcrona while Volcorona can switch in to force out or obliterate other steel types that give Latias trouble.
I would also recommend changing Fire Fang on Donphan to Stealth Rock, because without it, you are very weak to Multiscale Dragonite. While abusing sun Fire Fang seems cool, it doesn't offer Donphan any coverage he didn't already have, with Earthquake being a much better option against the vast majority of steels. Stealth Rock breaks Focus Sashes, and is very useful in ensuring KOs for offensive Pokemon, which your team has aplenty.
Finally, because your team has some issues with Heatran, who is able to wall 4/6ths of your team and definately won't stay in on Donphan (Ninetails is better at luring it, but not completely reliable because it is so easy to wall with other Pokemon and heatran often carries Protect) I would suggest changing your Venusaur to a mixed set with Earthquake - this allows it to easy dispose of any enemy Heatran foolish enough to try to wall it.
Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Growth
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire

Volcorona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance

I agree with FastFlygon mostly. Although I think neither Espeon, Latias, nor Vaporeon benifit at all with sun. Everything bar Donphan is vulnerable to Tyranitar who sometimes carries Ice Beam. The only water types that are really used are Rotom-W and Politoed, which Vaporeon isnt 't doing much to. The main problem with sun teams is keeping it on the field because Polioed and Tyranitar can just come in whenever they feel like it, and ruin your momentum. The second issue is dealing with dragons ofcourse. To solve this issue I highly recommend you use Dugtrio and Heatran. Heatran does a fine job at luring in both the frog and giant lizard thing. This makes use of his signiture move Magma Storm that will keep them on the field, finish them off and not have to worry about them again. Not only can it trap but take on dragons too, especially the Lati twins if you keep the sun up to brush off Surf. Dugtrio is a secondary solution because Heatran can't do everything on its own. Dugtrio can also remove big problems like Heatran, Terrakion and Blissey/Chancey. If you are going to use Donphan then Volcarona makes a nice sweeper. It can support Dugtrio too if you decide to go with the Focus Sash set, but I perfer Life Orb.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Evs: 128 HP / 220 SAtk / 160 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Magma Storm
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse
-Taunt

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 Atk / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Evs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power Ground

P.S. Venasuar would benifit having Sunny Day, Solarbeam and Hidden Power Fire.

Earlier today I edited Venusaur to be a mixed-attacking set with Earthquake over Leech Seed, and a nature/EVs to match. I'm on another computer now, so I can't tell you exactly what the spread is, but it has proved invaluable so far. I'm considering removing Sludge Bomb for Sunny Day, but I'm not sure if it should go on another 'Mon to keep the move or not.

I have been considering testing something else in place of Espeon, although I very much so enjoy the dual screens. Volcarona and Heatran both seem like a nice choice, and I may test that. My main concern, however, is getting too reliant on the sun; I tried to make a team that benefits from the sun but is not destroyed by not having access to it. Surprisingly, sand teams aren't all that threatening to me. I haven't had a time yet where a sand team wins the weather war (admittedly this is usually due to Donphan, as someone pointed out, but my Ninetales and Latias have both wiped out weather inducers), but rain teams are indeed a challenge.

As for swapping Fire Fang for Stealth Rock, I'm very reluctant to do so; it has netted me many KOs on Ferrothorn, Scizor, and others who are weak to fire who don't expect it. I may run it on Heatran if I put one on my team.

Dragonite has indeed been a pain, so I will try to find somewhere for Stealth Rock no matter what.

As for Vaporeon, I've been considering moving her aside for another Pokemon, but probably not another Fire type. I need something effective for removing water threats, especially those on rain teams (so Venusaur is mostly out of the picture, as Politoed won't be staying in to take a sun-charged SolarBeam to the face). Any suggestions on that front? The first thing that comes to mind is a Zapdos with Thunderbolt, Heat Wave (for sun operation), Roost, and some Hidden Power. I'm unsure of what EV spread I'd run (bulky or speedy attacker), though. Another option is a Magnezone. Opinions?

TL;DR: Taking all of the options posted into consideration, wondering how to best deal with Politoed (most likely as a Vaporeon replacement), hopefully will get back here later with the updated team.

How do you deal with rain? I would try fitting tbolt somewhere on your team or at the very least give vapy hp electric.

Try replacing espeon with this guy and see if you have an easier time.

Genosect@life orb/choice scarf
timid download
252 spatt 252 spe
tbolt
bug buzz
flamethrower/ice beam
u turn/filler

If your worried about the double fire weakness don't be. I've run both ferro and forry on sun teams and they seem to have a "fire alarm" if you will. Just use your prediction wisely here.

My last post mentioned rain team counters; also, Genesect is not officially released, and thus isn't in any tier as of yet.

About to edit first post with changes I've made and plan on making.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)