New to Smogon, RMT please

Thanks for taking the time to review my team. I've done reasonably well on the ladder with a team I've created based on personal preference yet works pretty well. Sadly, my losses so far include a UU team ;_;. Please give me a few pointers, as I am a fairly new battler. Also, please note there are no images here. Forgive me, as I haven't figured out how to add images yet.

Without further ado...

Team at a glance:
Mamoswine
Gengar
Scizor
Lucario
Heatran
Bronzong

Mamoswine @ Lum Berry
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

My lead, able to set up Stealth Rock while being able to take out other leads with it's move set. Ice Shard is for priority damage, able to OHKO a few common leads and for dragon types. Earthquake is for one of the highest STAB-ground moves in the game, and Stone Edge rounds off the set, able to hit virtually any pokemon in the game. The Lum Berry is to shrug off any statuses, which I have found to be a problem every time I played. I usually play with Item Clause anyways.

In benefit to the team, Mamoswine sets up Steath Rock, a ready addition to any sweeping team. I can switch him into an electric pokemon and follow with the appropriate move. Also, he can be cannon fodder when I need a free switch.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Modest
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Fire

The special sweeper of the team. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast has total type coverage, with Thunderbolt to do massive damage on bulky water-types, excluding Swampert. Hidden Power Fire is for the high usage of Scizor and Fortress, and hits many others for super effective damage. Modest is the nature, since I don't plan on outspeeding other pokemon with Hidden Power Fire limiting my Speed IV to 30.

Gengar switches into ground and fighting moves aimed at Heatran, Lucario, and Bronzong, then hit back hard with the appropriate move. Also, he can switch out into Scizor or Lucario when a Dark type pops up.

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technitian
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-Brick Break
-U-Turn

Swords Dance Scizor doesn't nearly get enough love. I send him in on predicted Dark/Ground type moves and Swords Dance on the switch. With a Technitian boosted Bullet Punch, Scizor can do massive damage. Brick Break is for coverage, able to hit many things Bullet Punch can't, with breaking screens as an added bonus. U-Turn is a utility move. With a Swords Dance, U-Turn kills or damages many pokemon, and allows me to switch while doing damage into the appropriate pokemon. Also, Scizor doesn't plan on sticking around after he's attacked with a bug move. A kill with any other move, such as bug bite or X-scissor, will result in the switch in of a threat. Focus Sash is to be able to set up with Swords Dance unless he's taken residual damage.

Scizor's my Revenge Killer and main physical sweeper, helping to absorb attacks aimed at Gengar. It has synergy with Gengar and Heatran, able to switch into Earthquakes and Fire moves respectively.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Subsitute
-Explosion

Heatran is my secondary Special Sweeper, bringing the pain on the enemies of my team. Earth Power is for hitting the many pokemon supereffectively. Fire Blast is for a insanely strong STAB. By switching in on a fire move, Heatran can subsitute on the oncoming switch. Explosion rounds off the set, dealing massive damage when he's at low HP.

Heatran is my counterpart to Scizor, Lucario, and Bronzong, taking in fire moves with ease. When the predicted Earthquake appears, I'm safe behind my Subsitute, allowing a free hit. If I need to switch, I can either explode or switch to Gengar or Bronzong, who take no damage from ground moves.

Lucario @ Muscle Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SpD/252 Spe
-Agility
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Ice Punch

My secondary Physical sweeper. Agility is for outspeeding threats, Close Combat is for a strong STAB fighting move, Crunch for Ghost/Psychic types, and Ice punch for the remainder of the types. With Agility, Lucario doesn't need to worry about being outspeeded, save priority moves or other Agility users.

Lucario switches in on Dark Type moves aimed at Gengar and Flying/Dragon Types. With the natural resistences of a Steel Type, Lucario can take neutral damage from many types. When psychic moves come into play, Lucario can also switch into Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/96 Spe
IVs: 0 Spe
Nature: Relaxed
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Explosion

The wall of an offensive based teams. Bronzong switches in on predicted ground and psychic moves, sets up the appropriate screen, gyro balls for a bit of damage, then explodes out. Light clay improves the effect for the screens, extending the turns they stay on the field. Gyro ball is to damage the other pokemon until Bronzong is close to death, in which he explodes out.

Bronzong is the cannon fodder of the team. He can take the moves aimed at every other pokemon on my team, set up useful defences, then go out with a bang. Though he's an odd ball on a team of offence, the team can't work without him, as he guarantees a free switch for his allies while setting.

So that's my team. Please improve/review my first set. Constructive Critisicm is great, but no trash/trolling please. Also, if I have failed to follow the forum rules, please let me know. Thanks!

Haven't read the whole thing yet. One paragraph only, actually. But Lucario, Bronzong, Mamoswine, and Scizor all die to fire. I HIGHLY recommend fixing this, as a fast fire-type could sweep much of your team. I'll rate more after I actually read it. Tomorrow.

Hi, to add images

On the rate,

Infernape RAPES This team HARD
, Koing everything in your time, plus, Heatran can't take Close Combat. The only thing Infernape can't beat is Gengar, which can be KOed by Infernape's Team members.

Having Lucario and Bronzong seems redundant, only giving you more weakness to Fire. I think Swampert Lead would being doing much more better than your Mamoswine. With only Grass weakness, it can be covered by Heatran. So use this set:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ev's: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpD
Moveset:
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Beam
~ Roar / Protect / Surf

O.o Gengar looks ok, but with Modest Nature, its going to be Outsped by Infernape which isn't good, so use Timid > Modest. Or you can tryout Subspilt Gengar, that annoys Blissey and many more :). Moveset is Shadowball/FocusBlast/Pain Spilt/Substitute.

On Scizor, i think 252 Hp/252 Atk is better on SD Scizor, giving him more Bulk to take more hits. Scizor's Item is funny, why Sash when you have Heatran to take Fire-type moves? Use Leftovers > Focus Sash. On Scizor's Moveset; use Bug Buzz > U-turn, Bug Buzz gets technician boost :)

Slapping Choice Scarf on Heatran seems better, to revenge kill and stuff. So, use Hp Grass > Substitute, or you might want to use Torment Tran, and use Flygon > Bronzong.

You have Gyarados Weakness, that can KO everything in your team with its STAB Waterfalls, to prevent that from Happening, use defensive Rotom-C > Lucario it fairly beats Scizor, Lucario that also can cause Danger.

Next, you might wanna use Mixape to break Stall, stall seriously fucks up your team, so yeah use this set:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
Ev's: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Moveset:
~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower
~ Close Combat
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power Ice

Good Luck!

Ok, I read the whole thing now. I think Bronzong should be your lead. Mamoswine looks more like a physical sweeper to me, with his moveset. Plus, he's a little fragile. But Bronzong is bulky enough (with maxed out defenses) to take a hit, set up rocks, take two more as he sets up screens, and explode. The screens would give your other guys adequate time to set up with SD or Agility, so a sash won't be needed on Scizor. Also, your items seem off to me, but I'll leave them be. Lastly, this team, other than Bronzong, is basically one giant sweeper. Dread the day when you meet a Super Tank. Try to be a little less fragile is a all I'll say now. Remember the Golden Rule of battling. "Go with the least cheap thing that still wins battles"

As I've said, Heatran absorbs the fire type moves aimed at them. Any other criticism?
Heatran cannot POSSIBLY take EVERY fire move aimed at an ENTIRE TEAM. For one thing, Fire/Ground has delicious coverage (ask heatran, he uses it on nearly every one of his sets.) So anything like unscarfed flygon can fire blast, and when your heatran comes in, just EQ the next turn.

DO NOT let opposing heatran sub up on you, because if he gets a sub on a switch, he kills a man. Scizor, mamo, and Gengar get NAILED by Fireblast, and Luke and Heatran feel the sweet fury of Earth power. Fireblast does a number (might not kill) your bronzong as well.

Agiligross does you up the butt too. After a single agility, Standard Agility Metagross can
-outrun and meteor mash mamoswine for an OHKO,
-outrun and meteor mash Gengar for an OHKO (if Gengar is below 70% and the opponent doesn't want to take the risk, he can T-punch for the KO as well),
-outruns and 2HKO's your Scizor with Earthquake (Scizor can't do much to this 130 base Defense beast in the one turn it has),
-outruns and OHKOs your Heatran with Earthquake
-outruns and OHKOs your Lucario with Earthquake (unless Lucario has his OWN agility up, but I seriously doubt that would happen. I mean, we are basing this off of a Metagross who already has an Agility up, so you wont be finding time to set up.)
-Bronzong is the only one who isn't outright decimated, as Tpunch will be a 4HKO (assuming full health bronzong, no screens) Explosion does 45.9% - 54.1%, so you could Reflect up, whittle him down with LO, and Explode after a few turns.

One Metagross counter is not enough.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On Scizor, i think 252 Hp/252 Atk is better on SD Scizor, giving him more Bulk to take more hits. Scizor's Item is funny, why Sash when you have Heatran to take Fire-type moves? Use Leftovers > Focus Sash. On Scizor's Moveset; use Bug Buzz > U-turn, Bug Buzz gets technician boost :)
I think you mean Bug Bite, cause Bug Buzz is a special Bug move, lol.

But technician applies to moves with less than 60 base power. Both Bug bite and Bug buzz have 60 and 90 respectively, so neither will get Azlan's alleged technician boost. You may as well keep U-Turn as a utility move. But with Scizor's speed, it won't be as good as a switch out. By the way, Azlan is right. SD will cover any loss in attack, so divert EVs to HP for bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)