Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Fighting

Why It's Not Sunkern: This special wall is notable for its extraordinary healing ability with Synthesis and Leech Seed despite the lack of Leftovers or Black Sludge. Giga Drain is its main offensive move, and two of the primary Sap Sippers in the tier who can absorb Ivysaur's other attacks, Sawsbuck and Gogoat, don't appreciate taking a HP Fire, and neither do many Steel types, or Grass types which are immune to Leech Seed. Hidden Power Fighting means Ivysaur loses power against Gogoat but can better harm Bouffalant. As a Grass/Poison type, it is immune to Spore, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Toxic, and being poisoned in general, and absorbs Toxic Spikes on switch-in.

Grotle can be considered the physical equivalent to Ivysaur, though it lacks a Poison typing as well as a reliable counter to Sap Sippers.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Ivysaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Fighting

Why It's Not Sunkern: This special wall is notable for its extraordinary healing ability with Synthesis and Leech Seed despite the lack of Leftovers or Black Sludge. Giga Drain is its main offensive move, and two of the primary Sap Sippers in the tier who can absorb Ivysaur's other attacks, Sawsbuck and Gogoat, don't appreciate taking a HP Fire, and neither do many Steel types, or Grass types which are immune to Leech Seed. Hidden Power Fighting means Ivysaur loses power against Gogoat but can better harm Bouffalant. As a Grass/Poison type, it is immune to Spore, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Leech Seed, Toxic, and being poisoned in general, and absorbs Toxic Spikes on switch-in.

Grotle can be considered the physical equivalent to Ivysaur, though it lacks a Poison typing as well as a reliable counter to Sap Sippers.
I don't honestly see any use for Ivysaur. From a viability standpoint, it's not on the rankings list, which says a lot.
What does it do that Vileplume or Roselia can't? Pretty much nothing. It's completely outclassed in all ways, sorry man.
Not sure why you mentioned Grotle since that's not relevant in NU either, since Torterra is a thing.

Last edited:
I don't honestly see any use for Ivysaur. From a viability standpoint, it's not on the rankings list, which says a lot.
What does it do that Vileplume or Roselia can't? Pretty much nothing. It's completely outclassed in all ways, sorry man.
Not sure why you mentioned Grotle since that's not relevant in NU either, since Torterra is a thing.
In NU it really has no niche however in PU it does but thats a different tier which i wont get into.. Roselia can put up spikes and Plume has Black Sludge for passive recovery.

Not sure why you mentioned Grotle since that's not relevant in NU either :/
Grotle was just a side note really.
Ivysaur doesn't hit nearly as hard as Vileplume or Roselia but with Eviolite is bulkier than Vileplume on both sides of the spectrum, and bulkier physically than Roselia. I confess that I overlooked Roselia, which does have the better ability in Natural Cure and more offensive capability.
Hell, Roselia running a similar or identical set to the Ivysaur one I posted may be more viable.

Shelgon @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar
- Dragon Claw

With his 100 BS def / 65 BS HP and eviolite , Shelgon is a really good physical wall. And, if we combine this, with the dragon typing and overcoat for some spore/stun powder/sandstorm, it was a monster!
Some calcs :
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 151-178 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 150-176 (45 - 52.8%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 124-147 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 166-196 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

If you're opponent want to set up, you can roar ! With wish, he can become a solid defensive pivot.

I would like to bring forward a Pokemon that I feel has been greatly overlooked in the NU tier, one that can not only act as a support Pokemon, crippling the other team with mass paralysis and the removal of key items, but also as a quasi-sweeper if it can come in on with the right conditions. I present to you this Pokemon, Servine!

Servine @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 80 Def / 176 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Synthesis
Why it is not Bidoof:
First off, Servine's base stats are a tad on the mediocre side when compared to fully evolved Pokemon, however, this is to be expected for a NFE Pokemon. The saving grace of Servine is that its stats are in the right place for a support Pokemon, Speed and Defense. With the inclusion of an eviolite, Servince can withstand numerous blows and can switch into many Pokemon that desire to set up or are not expecting a grass Pokemon to switch into their moves.​

This now leads us to our second point, Servine's move pool. While not as offensively viable as many would like Servine has an amazing move pool for support play. I will admit there is a possibility for a set up coil or calm mind variants, but often I feel that Servine cannot take advantage of them as much as I would like. We can see this ability to act as a support (not a healer/cleric) in the moves of Glare, Aromatherapy, Gastro Acid, Knock Off, Leech Seed, Light Screen, Reflect, Mean Look, Synthesis, Taunt, Toxic and Worry Seed. All of these moves can be used to greatly hamper opponents that are switching in to counter Servine or those who are attempting to over predict.

This leads us to the final point that we will be talking about in order to prove Servine's ability to be used in the NU tier, Servine's dream world ability: Contrary. Contrary is the sleeper of this Pokemon set and was the reason that Servine's older brother, Serperior, was moved out of the NU tier. This allows Servine to come into Sticky Web, Memento and numerous other stat dropping moves and come out on top. This also gives Servine its quasi sweeping potential, Leaf Storm. Now Leaf Storm was a move we did not mention as it is largely used for offensive applications, however, in normal use Leaf Storm is kinda like single shot musket, one and done, as it drastically cuts the users Special Attack stat. However, with contrary it changes completely, acting more like a Gatling Gun; as the gunner speeds up and a rhythm is formed the field becomes littered in the corpses of Servine's enemies. With contrary, Leaf Storm becomes nasty plot mixed with a High Jump Kick. This allows the small grass snake to become deadly in the right circumstances, while in ordinary scenarios it can act as a potent crippler of speed and items.

In NU it really has no niche however in PU it does but thats a different tier which i wont get into.. Roselia can put up spikes and Plume has Black Sludge for passive recovery.
Well, Roselia is actually PU which means Ivysaur doesn't have niche even in there... And for FU I would rather use Gloom instead for a slightly higher physical bulk and special attack just losing a tad of special defense... Or just use Gourgeist and stop being that messed up after knock off (Gourgeist can kinda handle most Knock off)...

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, Roselia is actually PU which means Ivysaur doesn't have niche even in there... And for FU I would rather use Gloom instead for a slightly higher physical bulk and special attack just losing a tad of special defense... Or just use Gourgeist and stop being that messed up after knock off (Gourgeist can kinda handle most Knock off)...
The SpD set has no niche in PU, but it does get chlorophyll whi- oh wait nvm drought clause+Jumpluff/Victreebel exist

Srs tho, I'm rather enjoying using Clefairy. Its not that good, but it is just fun to use :)

The SpD set has no niche in PU, but it does get chlorophyll whi- oh wait nvm drought clause+Jumpluff/Victreebel exist

Srs tho, I'm rather enjoying using Clefairy. Its not that good, but it is just fun to use :)
Yup! Clefairy isn't easy to use, but it can deal with unprepared teams kinda easily after some Cosmic Power boosts... Heck if you are gutsy enough you can use a fully physically defensive with Calm Mind and after two or three boosts it will deal nice damage...

Magnemite @ Eviolite
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Why it isn't a Pichu: Name one other pokemon in NU that traps and beats Klinklang 1 vs 1. Ha you can't, I win! Aside from that its typing is great, 95 SpAtk is good by NU standards, you get a slow STAB Volt Switch and it baits Seismitoad with HP Grass like no other. Weakening Seismitoad is good for a lot of mons like Typhlosion, Archeops etc. It's dirt slow, its bulk is barely acceptable with Eviolite and max HP investment, it's Knock Off bait like any other NFE but in the end it has a niche and I definitely like it. You can change the EV's to make it faster at the cost of bulk, max speed outruns Seismitoad I believe and without investment you speed tie Granbull.
Magneton is NU now..... So yea.

Relaxed Dedenne

I COULD BE BANNED!
I feel Slow.... (Duosion)
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature @ Eviolite
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Trick Room
- Recover
Duke Nukem (Duosion) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature @ Evolite
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/[Ground]
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Why it isn't Tepig: This can be used as an offencive trick roomer or a calm mind user, it has usavle recovery but it also has 120 SpA so it hits like a truck, It might be slow but it has trick room so.. that makes up for it, the Calm Mind set can take some hits like.. 252+ Atk Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Duosion: 110-132 (32.9 - 39.5%) -- approx. 100% chance to 3HKO/252+ Atk Sawk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Duosion: 164-194 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO/252+ SpA Duosion Hidden Power Ground vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 160-190 (56.3 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery/252+ SpA Duosion Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 127-150 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers (Well you could set up on mantine] 4 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Duosion: 73-87 (21.8 - 26%) -- 3.2% chance to 4HKO

Last edited:
NEW DROPS 2 IN 1 SPECIAL!!!

Magneton @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs/Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull/Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Grass]

Why it isn't a Magikarp: It's the best mon in the tier right now lol, a mixture of great typing, great stats and great abilities makes it the dominant NFE mon in NU. With it's great typing, it switches in on fletch, Exeggutor etc. It has 3 very viable sets it can run, that being scarf, specs and eviolite all which are very effective and very easy to place in a team right now. It has great coverage and a variety of hidden powers to choose from, that being; HP fire, for ferroseed, HP grass for ground types, HP ground for opposing magnetons. It also has very limited switch ins, the best ones being lanturn and stunfisk, most volt switch blockers get 2HKO'd by flash cannon or hidden power so playing around magneton is very difficult, it can also run substitute on the eviolite set with analytic which hits hard and is bulky at the same time. It's abilities also all have a good niche, sturdy is great for taking on mons with eq very effectively, magnet pull is to trap things like magneton, ferroseed and klinklang, analytic is for getting maxinum damage on switch ins or mons faster than you. Overall magneton is definitely one of the best NFE threats in the tier right now due to previously stated reasons.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp/Taunt
- Roost
- Swords Dance/U-turn

Why it isn't a Feebas: Flying type is debatabley one of the best offensive typing's in the game, having a priority stab acrobatics is the main reason fletch is a giant threat right now, being able to easily revenge kill almost any mon without priority is a incredible talent for a mon to have. It's main niche is of course stab flying priority but it also has a wide range of support options, being will-o-wisp, roost, swords dance, tailwind, u-turn and taunt all being viable. It revenge kills top tier threats like gurdurr and lilligant which makes it a deadly threat. And contrary to popular belief, fletch can find many opportunities to set up in a game and is a great late game sweeper. Fletch is a really strong mon right now in the tier, the speed is to outspeed samurott aqua jet which is very helpfull and the hp is just leftovers. Don't let it's innocent stats fool you...

Last edited:
Yanma @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 SpD
Moves:
Hypnosis
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Giga Drain

This is best used as a lead, to 1) avoid Yanma's Stealth Rock weakness, and 2) because most people will expect the Protect
variant, and will set up hazards on it. Just put them to sleep and go to town. Giga Drain for the Rock type Stealth Rock setters, Air Slash for Roselias, and Bug Buzz for stab. Very niche, but in certain situations can be very useful.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature

- Rest
- Rain Dance
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse

Why it is not a Palpitoad : Sliggoo has access to a really good special defense, especially for a NFE, that makes it a great counter for a lot of special sweepers in the tier. One of its weakness is surely the lack of healing moves, but thanks to Hydration, Rest can regenerate all of its HP without the problem of the sleep, which assures Sliggoo an incredible staying power. With Toxic and Dragon Pulse (which does nice damages moreover), these special sweepers will die slowly but surely. This set has unfortunately problems, because it is totally useless against Steel or Poison types, and it is totally impossible to stay in front of any physical sweeper but, on the other hand, you can be sure that none Pyroar, Magmortar or Mismagius will be able to hurt and kill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)