NFL Quarantine Thread: 2020-2021 Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually like the Colts trade for Wentz.

Though their offseason QB evolution last season was pretty poor last when they went Rivers over Brady.

There was no way Brady was an option.

The pool of open QBs was pretty small - ultimately, Indy had to choose between Carson Wentz, Jameis Winston or whichever QB Chicago would dump on the market were they the ones to acquire Wentz (probably Trubisky if they’re smart).

Indy had next to no choice. OOF.

I'll be pretty Bullish on Wentz and the Colts this yr.

Gotta at least attempt to get a franchise QB even if its a reclamation project.

It worked for the Titans.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Dream Scenario for the Pats is we trade for Marcus Mariota, realistic but still good scenario is we sign Jacoby Brissett in free agency. Worst case scenario is we trade too much for shitty players like Wentz or Garoppolo. So the wentz trade was a deep sigh of relief for me.

Dream Scenario for the Pats is we trade for Marcus Mariota, realistic but still good scenario is we sign Jacoby Brissett in free agency. Worst case scenario is we trade too much for shitty players like Wentz or Garoppolo. So the wentz trade was a deep sigh of relief for me.
Belichick was ready to dump Tom Brady 3 years ago for Jimmy G so he's 100% the Patriots starting QB next year if he gets cut by the Niners.

Belichick was ready to dump Tom Brady 3 years ago for Jimmy G so he's 100% the Patriots starting QB next year if he gets cut by the Niners.
Why would they cut Jimmy? He's a perfectly capable starting QB and they don't really have options to improve there. Plus he has a big contract so it'd be a big dead money cap hit. I'm sure Bill would love to have him back but I don't see a world where it makes sense for SF to cut him unless they somehow pawn his contract onto Houston for Watson

Aawin

whole lotta vibes in the city
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
NUPL Champion
I think SF sticks with Jimmy and try to protect him by addressing the oline (given Surtain and Farley are off the board by 12 and they don't want to reach on Jaycee Horn) Although I had them mocked to take Fields at 12 assuming that the Falcons don't go qb at 4 and go for someone like Micah Parsons, or the Lions aren't confident in Goff moving forward (Lions pick is definitely a case of BPA this yr), I think you ride it out and try to get him more protection to prevent what happened this yr to their offense at the QB spot.

Rumors are pouring in that Carolina is clearing cap to afford Watson, as they cut Kawann Short, Stephen Weatherly, Tre Boston, and Michael Palardy to save 19 mil total. Its also likely Teddy B is out of there as well, as he cut off contact with the team on socials. If that happens, they probably make an offer to Houston that includes their 1st rd picks of this yr and 2022 (the value is definitely higher than just two firsts).

Last edited:
Jimmy G is a league average QB who is hurt all the time.

A non-difference maker who is always hurt is not worth pursuing.

I dunno if the Niners will cut him without an alternative, but they quite clearly have the 4th best QB in the division and need to be looking to upgrade.

The Patriots would also be foolish to pursue him but every personnel move they've made from an offensive perspective (outside of oline) has been foolish for about 3 years so I'd expect it.

Last edited:
Jimmy G is a league average QB who is hurt all the time.

A non-difference maker who is always hurt is not worth pursuing.

I dunno if the Niners will cut him without an alternative, but they quite clearly have the 4th best QB in the division and need to be looking to upgrade.

The Patriots would also be foolish to pursue him but every personnel move they've made from an offensive perspective (outside of oline) has been foolish for about 3 years so I'd expect it.
You can't pursue a guy you already have. Jimmy is fine. Not amazing but if Joe Flacco can win a SB so can Jimmy. He's not really worth pursuing per se but what went wrong with the Niners this season was not Jimmy's doing. They already have him and he's not going to be cut unless the Niners somehow obtain a better QB through trade. None of the free agents still out there would be an upgrade.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
You can't pursue a guy you already have. Jimmy is fine. Not amazing but if Joe Flacco can win a SB so can Jimmy. He's not really worth pursuing per se but what went wrong with the Niners this season was not Jimmy's doing. They already have him and he's not going to be cut unless the Niners somehow obtain a better QB through trade. None of the free agents still out there would be an upgrade.
The disrespect to January Joe. 11-0 TD:INT ratio in the Superbowl-winning playoff run, one of the best runs by a QB in NFL history.

If Jimmy has that other gear in him like Flacco had that year, then sure a team can win with him. But even the ridiculously stacked Niners couldn't overcome his mediocrity a few years ago. I don't think he's a good QB at all.

Joe Flacco had the most outlier 4 game stretch of his entire career and won the Superbowl. He was great in the playoffs (Anquan Boldin and his vice-grip hands helped like Valkyries said).

Jimmy G's head coach actively tried to hide him in the playoffs. He Threw 27 TOTAL passes in his first 2 games and when he was asked to be serviceable in the superbowl he blew it.

In the last 15 years the only QB to have mid/terrible postseasons and still win the superbowl was Peyton Manning (twice).

TheValkyries

Patriots fans realizing how hard it is to be a franchise in the nfl without the greatest qb of all time boohoo this means they're too loyal to one of the greatest coaches of all time boohoo. Woah is us, we're forced to live in these dark times where we have to watch an undertalented team overperform god forbid.

The second you stop thinking about what ifs the happier you'll be as a fan. Brady left get over it.

Patriots fans realizing how hard it is to be a franchise in the nfl without the greatest qb of all time boohoo this means they're too loyal to one of the greatest coaches of all time boohoo. Woah is us, we're forced to live in these dark times where we have to watch an undertalented team overperform god forbid.
The reason for the team overperforming and being undertalented is one in the same though.

Years of offensive mismanagement, poor evaluations and the devaluation of the most important position with the best player to ever play that position is what got the Patriots into their current situation. The Patriots entire roster building process was built on the greatest player in the history of the sport playing for roughly 25-30% of what he was worth, elevating sub-par players at the skill positions and attracting free agents to play for less for a chance to win a ring and play with him. All it took was him leaving for the entire house of cards to collapse and the whole charade to be exposed.

If the Patriots don't change their roster building approach soon they'll be the worst team in the division.

The second you stop thinking about what ifs the happier you'll be as a fan. Brady left get over it.
I'm happy Tom Brady left the Patriots because it give him a chance to complete destroy every single negative narrative that still remained about him and hilariously only took him a single season to do so.

Its clear that the Patriots didn't have the necessary coaches, appreciation and roster needed for him to succeed. But it was still an absolutely horrendous blunder that is only overshadowed by whatever the hell the Texans are doing with Deshaun Watson (something that was also caused by ex-patriot coaches and front office people interestingly enough).

The Patriots look like clowns and the only thing that's still masking that is the leftover mystique, which has about a year left before it dries up.

TheValkyries

Wild how Brady left for a team that had a top 15 pick for 6 out of 7 years (meaning 13 top 45 picks over the past 7 years) and how wildly talented that roster is versus a team who perennially had to pick at the end of the first round. It’s almost like the nfl is actually pretty good at talent assessment and usually picks the meat off the bone by pick 15-20. This shit isn’t hard to grasp. But yeah man keep being mad at Belichick for being so good that we haven’t been able to have a good shot at a rookie player in 20 years.

It’s almost like the nfl is actually pretty good at talent assessment and usually picks the meat off the bone by pick 15-20. This shit isn’t hard to grasp. But yeah man keep being mad at Belichick for being so good that we haven’t been able to have a good shot at a rookie player in 20 years.
To say that with regards to the Patriots and their drafts (in particular their biggest needs over the last few years) is just the furthest thing from the truth.

They basically had their pick of receivers 2 years ago in one of the most loaded receiver drafts of all time, and took N'keal Harry over about 16 other players that were better.

Then ignored the position again the next year when it was the most glaring hole on their roster.

To say that you can only get good players in the top half of the first round is just wrong. They've had dozens and dozens of chances to address their specific needs and never do or completely misevaluate the player.

My personal favorite:
1615644036393.png

Last edited:

TheValkyries

The only consistent picks are top half of the first round. Everything else is mostly guesswork. N’Keal Harry is a great example as a guy who looked great and had a former NFL coach vouching for him versus someone like DK Metcalf who was physically a beast but looked like a baby giraffe in college. Also “loaded receiver draft” and yet no one was picked until pick 25? Kinda sounds like a mediocre draft class.

And yeah the Patriots missed some gems they had opportunities on but that’s literally the Draft because every other team around there also missed those gems. Brady was drafted 199 and you’re out here like “how could these nfl teams not see the future???” Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder, Kurt Warner was undrafted blah blah. The fact of the matter is that the top half of the first round is on average far better than the rest of the draft. And first rounders as a whole are vastly better than the rest of the draft. If you’re good you’re supposed to get worse that’s quite literally the design of the NFL. And yet the Pats have been good for 20 years. Clearly Belichick is a bad gm who undervalued Brady and forced him to take pay cuts that made Brady feel unwanted- oh what’s that? Brady just took a pay cut in Tampa? Huh.

The only consistent picks are top half of the first round. Everything else is mostly guesswork. N’Keal Harry is a great example as a guy who looked great and had a former NFL coach vouching for him versus someone like DK Metcalf who was physically a beast but looked like a baby giraffe in college. Also “loaded receiver draft” and yet no one was picked until pick 25?
AJ Brown was on twitter leading up to the draft literally begging the Patriots to draft him.

The Patriots passed on him twice for N'keal harry and their annual 2nd rd defensive back.

And yeah the Patriots missed some gems they had opportunities on but that’s literally the Draft because every other team around there also missed those gems.
The Patriots haven't just "missed" at the receiver position, they haven't drafted a single NFL caliber player at the position for over 10 years. You can't continuously miss on an important position like receiver and handicap your offensive attack every year in a passing league. Not to mention that they never once attempted to seriously address the tight end position via draft since Gronk.

Its 10 years of complete and utter incompetence drafting pass catchers. If you say its harder to draft players without a good first round pick fine, but I expect them to maybe hit on 1 or 2 of their picks at the position they've had the most glaring need at for a decade instead of being 0/1234324234234.

Clearly Belichick is a bad gm who undervalued Brady and forced him to take pay cuts that made Brady feel unwanted- oh what’s that? Brady just took a pay cut in Tampa? Huh.
The reports by Pats beat writers all pretty much state the Belichick wanted Jimmy to take over for Brady starting in 2018. I don't see how anyone can look at that and see it as anything other than a gross misevaluation of 2 QBs. Brady's play in 2017 (league MVP) forced Belichick to trade Jimmy, and probably won the patriots another superbowl (they obviously weren't winning with Jimmy in 2018).

Belichick had Brady in the building for 20 years, nobody knew the player better than he did. He's probably spent more time with Brady than any other person outside of his own family members, and yet he still didn't think Brady was capable of playing till 45. Brady earned the right to have his contract extended, but Belichick insisted on going year to year with him. He either did that solely because of Brady's age (actively betting against Tom Brady which never ends well) or because he saw slippage in Brady's play (which was due to the league worst skill talent Belichick surrounded him with). Whichever one of these it was doesn't matter because they were both obviously incorrect evaluations.

He also somehow failed to account to the leadership, accountability, intangibles blah blah blah that Brady brings to any team.

Brady dunked on every critic last year, but it was Belichick who got dunked on the hardest. Dude had the easiest choice in the world to bring Brady back but f'd it up. He's earned all the criticism that he's gotten over the last few months because he's the one that made the bonehead choices that got him to this point.

TheValkyries

It’s been days and I’m still grappling with “team uses salary cap to try and be more competitive” being used as an insult.

Right now the Patriots roster looks almost identical to the Ravens minus the incredibly dynamic top 5-7 QB.

Not sure I want my team to be a diet Ravens.

Also I'm the world's biggest Nelson Agholor stan and even I don't think Nelson Agholor should be making 4 million more per year than JuJu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)