Nintendo finally supports 6v6 singles (kind of)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Source (couldn't find it on the Global Link site for some reason lol)

As everyone knows, Nintendo since the beginning of time (aka Stadium) has loved the "bring 6, pick 3" singles format. For Battle Spot season 5 beginning on July 15th, Battle Spot special will be in a traditional 6v6 singles format.

There is, of course a twist. There will be no items. No Choice items, no Leftovers, no LO, and no Megas. The standard Battle Spot banlist will likely apply, so popular OU Pokemon like Keldeo, Kyurem-B, and Deoxys will be no more.

This is both a good and bad thing. If you were afraid Mega Kanga and Mega Gengar would wreck everything, then fear not as they are indirectly banned. On the other hand, the lack of items could make for a highly stallish metagame since many Pokemon depend on Scarf to check a certain threat, LO for OHKOs or 2HKOs, or Leftovers to stave off pesky residual damage.

What are your predictions/picks for this meta? As mentioned, I predict a highly stallish meta because many offensive threats are crippled by the loss of their Mega Stone or LO and residual damage is more effective in a meta without Leftovers. Hippowdon is an example of a great Pokemon that gains a lot, being able to set up Rocks and SS, heal itself, benefits from the loss of Keldeo, MegaZard, Mega Venusaur, etc., and better tank physical sweepers that no longer have LO. Expect a lot of Defog Latias to get rid of entry hazards. There is likely a lot more, but they will probably be brought up in the ensuing discussion ~_~

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
At first I read it as "Battle Spot singles will be in 6v6" and started to freak out. I never thought Game Freak would make 6v6 official, especially with such a silly rule as no items. Plus, I was starting to get rather attached to 3v3 :(

Anyway, no items is a really clever rule to add, since it seems like just that rule will help bring a lot of balance to an "inherently" unbalanced metagame like 6v6. The only thing that comes to mind that will be really annoying is...Swagger. I think in a 6v6 format people will bring a lot of dedicated SwagPlay teams which will be a problem. My usual strategy for dealing with Skillkeys is Lum Berry Fire Punch Dragonite...but obviously now, Lum Berry won't be a thing anymore. Is it time to use Own Tempo???

The Nugget Bridge blurb also says it is likely there will be no team preview? That will be interesting; I guess you could pull off a few surprises with that, but I'm not exactly sure what. I'll try to think of something cool.

Also the 15th is my birthday. That doesn't really have anything to do with this, but it is true.

Guessing sustain via recover/moonlight will be important in the no item 6v6 singles.

More interested in the
Detonation Velocity
from the source you linked XD

"
Detonation Velocity
This tournament will be open to all players from around the world and run from June 6th to 9th, 2014 after taking entry from May 29th to June 6th, 2014. It will use the same rules you may be used to on the Singles ladder on Battle Spot, but will offer a 10 minute match time limit with 15 seconds per turn and only 30 seconds in team preview. You’ll only be allowed to play 10 games per day."

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Eh, most games I play on standard 3v3 don't last that long anyway. The restricted decision time will hurt though...

Also Acrobatics will possibly be quite viable in Season 5 Special. The strongest mons that can use it include Hawlucha and Archeops, which can both Roost off damage and dish it out as well off their high attacking stats. Gliscor is another interesting option, as it can switch in on incoming Toxic, Acrobatics all over the place and also has access to Roost.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Nugget Bridge blurb also says it is likely there will be no team preview? That will be interesting; I guess you could pull off a few surprises with that, but I'm not exactly sure what. I'll try to think of something cool.
Team preview killed suicide leads, but most suicide leads like Infernape and Azelf ran Focus Sash. I'm also not sure if they're the most suitable leads in this kind of metagame, but perhaps you can surprise such a suicide lead with Espeon.

This feels more like gen 3 with new mons than RBY honestly.

Eh, most games I play on standard 3v3 don't last that long anyway. The restricted decision time will hurt though...

Also Acrobatics will possibly be quite viable in Season 5 Special. The strongest mons that can use it include Hawlucha and Archeops, which can both Roost off damage and dish it out as well off their high attacking stats. Gliscor is another interesting option, as it can switch in on incoming Toxic, Acrobatics all over the place and also has access to Roost.
Archeops and Hawlucha (remember that Unburden requires having had an item at some point, then losing it) are pretty lame options with Tornadus and Aero available. I can see physical Tornadus being really strong, it can run Defiant to boost against Intimidate mons or abuse those Prankster subs. It has just enough of a physical movepool to pull it off, Acrobatics / Superpower are mandatory but you can run U-turn, Bulk Up, Sub/Taunt (outspeeds most of those annoying SwagPlay mons), what have you for filler. Even without a Mega, Aero is faster than Archeops and overall more useful.

Anyway, no items is a really clever rule to add, since it seems like just that rule will help bring a lot of balance to an "inherently" unbalanced metagame like 6v6. The only thing that comes to mind that will be really annoying is...Swagger. I think in a 6v6 format people will bring a lot of dedicated SwagPlay teams which will be a problem. My usual strategy for dealing with Skillkeys is Lum Berry Fire Punch Dragonite...but obviously now, Lum Berry won't be a thing anymore. Is it time to use Own Tempo???
OH FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! There goes my hype. :( I hate battling people who rely on pure luck.

Swagplay teams are gonna be obnoxious to deal with. Time to bring out the Own Tempo Ludicolo with Fire Punch.

That is for the Ultra Fast! Double Battle competition where the team preview is disabled and only 3 Pokemon are chosen instead of the standard 4. If it's for this as well, I'll be glad with it too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)