ORAS OU no more parties

Hey all,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I used to play a lot of battle tower in BW/XY/ORAS, but recently I've been lured into the showdown. All told, I've probably been playing here and there for a month, and this team has taken me the furthest.

I wanted to create a team that allows slower, bulkier sweepers (like Mega-Metagross and Manaphy) to run train on the opponent, so I knew that I'd have to give them additional support with entry hazards, especially sticky web.

UPDATE: I've scratched the sweepers, Manaphy and Metagross, and replaced them with Mega-Gardevoir and Dragonite. The same principles of the team apply, with Shuckle+Klefki laying entry hazards and Klefki slowing down opposing threats. At the same time, I've given Heatran more offense, switching up the nature and moveset to act as a sweeper, too.

Basic game plan: Size up the opponent's squad at the start of the match, identifying the Defog/Rapid Spin pokes. If they have none, set up entry hazards with Shuckle+Klefki. If present, proceed with caution. Put some pressure on the other pokes with toxic, Intimidate, entry hazards and wait for the spinner/fogger to appear. That's when it's time to go crazy with Heatran (Earth Power/Magma Storm for Excadrill, Scizor and Skarmory) or Landorus-T (Knock Off for Lati@s and Starmie or EQ on Excadrill).

Once the spinner is gone, lay down a sticky web (and Rocks for fliers) and look to sweep with Mega-Gardevoir, Dragonite or Heatran, switching out to Landorus if threatened by a physical sweeper or Klefki to slow them down.

upload_2016-4-9_17-33-15.png

mr_305 (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

This guy was my starting point as he's been one of my faves forever. He's bulky enough to survive a scald from Slowbro, and he can wreak havoc on fire/steel/grass/fairy pokemon. Typically he comes in sometime after Shuckle to melt steel, burn grass and scare fairies. If I know a switch is coming (and they're not rocking many steel types) I'll throw a toxic out to begin wearing them down. Roar is to phaze any major setup sweepers. I also switch to Heatran when Klefki is scared by fire and swallow a Flash Fire.

upload_2016-4-9_17-42-57.png

pizza luvr (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Toxic

This kid is really the star of the show! He's nigh impossible to 2HKO, so he usually gets a sticky web in before annoying in other ways. Encore the opponent's Scizor (or any other set-up sweeper) if you anticipate a Swords Dance and switch into Heatran. Same for leech seeders and stealth rockers. It'll force a switch and you can bring in some of your offense. A major part of the game plan hinges on sticky web, so it's critical to protect Shuckle until the entry hazard removal is gone.

upload_2016-4-15_12-59-8.png

big sneeze (Mega-Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Taunt

If she comes in with a sticky web set up, she can hit like a truck with Hyper Voice. Really, anything that isn't a steel/fairy poke (and even some of those, too, with Focus Blast) are going down pretty quickly. She isn't all that slow on her own, but of course her defenses are weak, so it's imperative that she has some support with entry hazards and paralysis. Taunt is for Slowbro and Clefable who threaten with T-Wave.

upload_2016-4-15_12-57-25.png

y33zy (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake

After I've removed spinners and laid down the web, this bro comes in to hit hard. He can even switch in on a spinning Excadrill to knock it out with an EQ or get some revenge kills with Extreme Speed. If he gets a DD up, he's rocking any opponent's offensive threats and plenty of defensive ones, too.

upload_2016-4-9_17-39-36.png

unlock (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Reflect

In a word: Annoying. Pretty much my panic button. For instance, he can come in to slow down threats to Dragonite and Gardevoir with prankster T-Wave, pile on the entry hazards with priority spikes, or poison a whole host of enemies. If they run fire pokes, I switch to Heatran to get a flash fire boost. Reflect in the face of Azumarill, Scizor and Bisharp or any pokes who could set up.

upload_2016-4-9_17-36-37.png

choppa (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This pup switches in once my balloons have popped or if the opponent is carrying some heavy artillery. He can intimidate physical sweepers and check their entry hazard removal. With Knock Off and Earthquake, he's good for annihilating their spinners/foggers, like Lati@s, Starmie and Excadrill.

Threatlist: Any setup sweeper can be dangerous, since I don't have a way to burn them. I can intimidate with Landorus-T or slow them down with Klefki, but that's about it. Heaven forbid they have a priority move, because then I'm in trouble.

upload_2016-4-15_13-5-16.png

Bisharp is the biggest problem my team faces, as his defiance takes advantage of Sticky Web. Heatran can kill him, but if he Sucker Punches anyone else, it's a problem. Sometimes Klefki comes in to paralyze him, but that's not a tried and true method of defense.

upload_2016-4-15_13-7-33.png

Serperior is an issue, too. Luckily Heatran can kill it with Magma Storm, but contrary jumps all over sticky web.

upload_2016-4-15_13-9-14.png

Azumarill with a belly drum and an aqua jet is nearly unstoppable. Klefki can paralyze, but he's hitting everything else on my team hard.

Attachments

Last edited:
I edited slightly, but if you're looking for more, please let me know and I'll add on.
It's better then before. I'll give it a rate

Manaphy - Manaphy is an easy fix. I think you should put leftovers over lum berry on it, because basic recovery is practically a requirement if you wan't to sweep, otherwise you get 2HKO'd. and if you expect thunder wave, just don't switch in! Simple as that.

Landorus - Scarfed landorus is just a tad bit over rated. It's 10x better in battle spot singles or doubles, which is why I think you should run stealth rocks landorus. It truly does get the job done! It's a defensive pivot which is absolutly perfect for a team such as your own, and it gets knock off coverage to smash through walls.

Shuckle - I get that your teams gimmick is sticky web, which is very useful, but I think you shoud give scarfed tyranitar a try. If you are going to replace scarfed lando with rocks lando, you need a scarf user, and tyranitar is the perfect replacement as it also gets up sand which could be WAY helpful for your team.

Manaphy - Manaphy is an easy fix. I think you should put leftovers over lum berry on it, because basic recovery is practically a requirement if you wan't to sweep, otherwise you get 2HKO'd. and if you expect thunder wave, just don't switch in! Simple as that.

Landorus - Scarfed landorus is just a tad bit over rated. It's 10x better in battle spot singles or doubles, which is why I think you should run stealth rocks landorus. It truly does get the job done! It's a defensive pivot which is absolutly perfect for a team such as your own, and it gets knock off coverage to smash through walls.

Shuckle - I get that your teams gimmick is sticky web, which is very useful, but I think you shoud give scarfed tyranitar a try. If you are going to replace scarfed lando with rocks lando, you need a scarf user, and tyranitar is the perfect replacement as it also gets up sand which could be WAY helpful for your team.
I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes... despite my love for Shuckle!!

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hey there. This is a very solid build, and I couldn't find much to say.
  • Air Balloon < Leftovers on Klefki. The passive recovery is definitely useful, and Ground types are not that big of a deal that you have to run two Air Balloon users. Your Klefki spread should allow it to endure a few Ground type attacks anyway.
  • Toxic < Earth Power / Ancient Power on Heatran. You have 3 Toxic users, so giving Heatran Toxic is kinda redundant. Earth Power gives you the coverage, though Ancient Power can be used to hit Talonflame if you think it's worth it.

Firstly, changing Shuckle would change the whole playstyle of the team, which primarily focuses on hazard-stacking, so it's best not to change that. Secondly, Lum Berry Manaphy is a great status absorber because after Manaphy sets up, the opponent is most likely going to try and status Manaphy to force a switch, though having Leftovers isn't a major problem. Also, if Rain Dance was used, or if this was a rain team, Lum Berry would be useless because Hydration removes Manaphy's status inflictions. Finally, Choice Scarf Landorus gives the team a bit of speed control, which is what it definitely needs.

Last edited:
Hey there. This is a very solid build, and I couldn't find much to say.
  • Leftovers > Air Balloon on Klefki. The passive recovery is definitely useful, and Ground types are not that big of a deal that you have to run two Air Balloon users. Your Klefki spread should allow it to endure a few Ground type attacks anyway.
  • Toxic < Earth Power / Ancient Power on Heatran. You have 3 Toxic users, so giving Heatran Toxic is kinda redundant. Earth Power gives you the coverage, though Ancient Power can be used to hit Talonflame if you think it's worth it.
Firstly, changing Shuckle would change the whole playstyle of the team, which primarily focuses on hazard-stacking, so it's best not to change that. Secondly, Lum Berry Manaphy is a great status absorber because after Manaphy sets up, the opponent is most likely going to try and status Manaphy to force a switch, though having Leftovers isn't a major problem. Also, if Rain Dance was used, or if this was a rain team, Lum Berry would be useless because Hydration removes Manaphy's status inflictions. Finally, Choice Scarf Landorus gives the team a bit of speed control, which is what it definitely needs.
If you predict when status is coming or know it's a risk then you don't need lum berry. Also, it's less of replacing pokemon and more of changin rolls. Heres a chart:
For a stealth rock user:
Shuckle_icon.png
<
645-s.png

For a scarf user:
645-s.png
<
Tyranitar_icon.png

Ask any expirienced player and that's what they will say. And I know that's in general, and not for the team, but his team doesn't need sticky web! And if it had sticky web why would he need scarfed landorus? Just put in mega metagross because there speed is down. After these improvements he also doesn't have to worry about hazard removal destroying his team, because he isn't sticky web dependent. Also tyranitar sets up sand which is WAY helpful for his team because most of the members arent effected and by the time manaphy can come out and do a late game sweep the sand will be long gone. Chip damage also destroys focus sash users which could easily wipe out a huge section of his team. In fact, I think if breloom sets up enough it could probably sweep even with sticky web up (a big chunk of his team takes nuetral or supper effective damage from mach punch). In fact, if he wanted to go all the way he could replace mega metagross with sand rush excadrill and make it a sand team! It would be pretty easy to replace something on his team with a mega pokemon. That is all.
Wow did I really just type all of that? FML :D

Sobi

Banned deucer.
If you predict when status is coming or know it's a risk then you don't need lum berry. Also, it's less of replacing pokemon and more of changin rolls. Heres a chart:
For a stealth rock user:View attachment 60140<View attachment 60141
For a scarf user: View attachment 60141<View attachment 60143
Ask any expirienced player and that's what they will say. And I know that's in general, and not for the team, but his team doesn't need sticky web! And if it had sticky web why would he need scarfed landorus? Just put in mega metagross because there speed is down. After these improvements he also doesn't have to worry about hazard removal destroying his team, because he isn't sticky web dependent. Also tyranitar sets up sand which is WAY helpful for his team because most of the members arent effected and by the time manaphy can come out and do a late game sweep the sand will be long gone. Chip damage also destroys focus sash users which could easily wipe out a huge section of his team. In fact, I think if breloom sets up enough it could probably sweep even with sticky web up (a big chunk of his team takes nuetral or supper effective damage from mach punch). In fact, if he wanted to go all the way he could replace mega metagross with sand rush excadrill and make it a sand team! It would be pretty easy to replace something on his team with a mega pokemon. That is all.
Wow did I really just type all of that? FML :D
Heatran has Stealth Rock, so giving Landorus Stealth Rock is completely unnecessary. And the whole point behind haircaptain 's team is to stack hazards, even if some of their team members may not need them. Taking out Shuckle in a Sticky Web / Spikes / Stealth Rock hazard-stacking team is kinda like taking out Mega Scizor / Thundurus in a VoltTurn team, and replacing them with Pokemon that don't learn U-turn or Volt Switch. As a good rater, you mustn't change Pokemon of a team because there's a Pokemon that does it better but actually doesn't do near the same job as the original Pokemon. To prevent a full discussion of this topic, if you have any questions, PM me--I don't want to clog up this thread.

Reactions: TPP
Heatran has Stealth Rock, so giving Landorus Stealth Rock is completely unnecessary. And the whole point behind haircaptain 's team is to stack hazards, even if some of their team members may not need them. Taking out Shuckle in a Sticky Web / Spikes / Stealth Rock hazard-stacking team is kinda like taking out Mega Scizor / Thundurus in a VoltTurn team, and replacing them with Pokemon that don't learn U-turn or Volt Switch. As a good rater, you mustn't change Pokemon of a team because there's a Pokemon that does it better but actually doesn't do near the same job as the original Pokemon. To prevent a full discussion of this topic, if you have any questions, PM me--I don't want to clog up this thread.
He had 2 rock users originally and with shuckle replaced he keeps that number. Plus, hazard stacking usually cosists of spikes, toxic spikes and SR for switch in damage. Sticky web is usually cositered a different playstyle. Most hazard stack teams don't even consitter sticky web! Examples: http://pastebin.com/LfUxYETK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)