ORAS NU no scrubs

scrub, n. \ˈskrəb\
1. a guy that thinks he's fly; known as a buster, sits on his broke ass
2. a guy that can't get no love from me, hanging out the passenger's side of his best friend's ride, trying to holler at me
3. often: a) doesn't have a car and is walking, b) lives at home with his momma, c) has a shorty but doesn't show love, d) wants to get me with no money

Historians have studied the nature of the "scrub" for thousands of years. This phenomenon began in the Paleozoic Era, when adolescent dinosaurs would try to holla at fine pieces of ass while hunting for their prey. But it didn't stop there. During the Zhou Dynasty of China circa 746 B.C. in times of famine and poor harvest, many a scrub approach women despite living at home with they momma because they simply could not afford to fend for themselves. Even still, throughout The Renaissance in many Italian cities, including Florence and Venice, scrubs would walk along the market with swag, collars popped, slacks sagging, seeking a female companion, only to reveal later on that they hang around all day instead of seeking stable income.

Today, the scrub is much easier to spot. With the advent of social media, all it takes is a single Tweet or Facebook post from a burned shawty broadcasting how scummy her man is for the entire world to know and thus for his reputation as a playa to be ruined and his credibility with the ladies to be diminished.

Today during this Rate My Team, we will discuss the modern scrub and the many ways to spot one.

Regice @ Choice Specs | Clear Body
160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe | Modest
Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / Sleep Talk

One of the many ways to spot a scrub is to watch out for how much he asks for things. Is he constantly borrowing money from you? Probably a scrub. Does he ask for rides everywhere? Almost definitely a scrub. Ladies, don't let your man keep you down. He's supposed to be the man in the relationship--not you. If he can't even fend for himself, how are you supposed to create a life together?

When you find yourself dating a scrub, the best solution is to destroy him. Specs Regice does that. Regice is a weird Pokemon in NU and one that it took me a long time to learn how to properly utilize. The best way to take advantage of it is to use it as an offensive tank. With massive special bulk, Regice can switch into a lot of special attackers in NU, but it can't do so multiple times throughout the match. By slapping Specs onto Regice, you give it the ability to switch in and strike back, really taking advantage of the switches it can get against many teams.

Prinplup @ Eviolite | Torrent
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD | Calm
Stealth Rock / Scald / Defog / Toxic

Another excellent way to know whether or not your man is a scrub is that he is a druggie. You want a clean man who you can take home to your parents, who you can start a family with, who you can trust. How are you supposed to lock down your man if he can't even control himself? Don't let him tell you that he only lights up every once and a while; if he lights up at all, it's too much. You're a strong, independent woman, and you can do better baby.

When your man is into drugs, you need to clear him from your life and protect yourself from him ever coming back. Prinplup's got you covered. With Defog and Stealth Rock, not only does he clear your life from the hazardous conditions that your man left behind, but he also makes sure that guy never wants to come back. Prinplup is probably the best hazard remover in NU because it's so bulky and can remove hazards and then set some for you. I'm using a specially defensive spread on this team because Prinplup is the only Fire resist on this team, and it's absolutely necessary to keep it alive and healthy to check threats such as Specs Typhlosion.

Lilligant @ Meadow Plate | Chlorophyll
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Sleep Powder / Giga Drain / Quiver Dance / Nature Power

Just because your man isn't into drugs and doesn't bum off you all the time doesn't mean he's the right one for you. A man can also be a scrub if he has no car. Thankfully, this one is much easier to spot immediately, and you can back away immediately if you see this from him. An independent man needs a way to get around, and there's no good way to do that without a car. Motorcycles don't count either; he still needs to get around in the winter.

Once again, Lilligant has you covered. If your man can't get around, Lilligant can make up for it by getting up and dancing. Quiver Dance Lilligant offers a few important things for this team. First off, it gives us a win condition against stall. Though it certainly won't be sweeping a well-built stall team from Team Preview, it gives you a way to finish the match once you've broken their core with Regice and Scyther. It also gives us an important check to Lanturn, one of the few defensive Pokemon in NU that Regice has no way to beat. Because Ferroseed is virtually non-existent due to the presence of Mega Steelix, Hidden Power Fire really isn't necessary. Instead, Nature Power: Tri Attack is a stronger neutral coverage move that comes with the benefits of occasionally inflicting status and dodging Sucker Punch.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry | Magic Bounce
248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Speed | Timid
Psyshock / Roost / Heat Wave / U-turn

Sometimes all a man has to offer is sex, and when that's the case, you should break it off immediately. Don't be fooled by how killer he is in bed--there's usually a reason for that. He probably has a lot of sex, which isn't something you want in a man, and even if he doesn't, there's still some reason why he's good at what he does. He probably has plenty of spare time to practice because he doesn't have any responsibilities! Don't ditch your man just because he's good at sex, but don't keep him around just because he's good at sex either.

Xatu has so much more to offer your team than your man does, so let him do his thing. Even though we have a Defog user, offensive teams are great at keeping up pressure and preventing you from finding the turns you need to remove hazards. Xatu denies this and also offers us a Fighting resist, which, as Soulgazer always says, you need at least two of on every team. Xatu also keeps up offensive momentum with U-turn by coming in on something that can't touch it and then pivoting into one of our offensive threats while the opponent switches into something more threatening themselves. The Speed EVs allow Xatu to outrun Jolly Sawk, which would be very threatening to this team without the Speed investment.

Scyther @ Choice Band | Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Aerial Ace / U-turn / Knock Off / Quick Attack

Do a background check on your man. You can do it online for free, and it can give you information that he will never give you himself. If your man is a criminal, you need to deal with him. You're trying to find a man you can trust, someone who will be there for you and will think before he acts. How can you expect these qualities from a convict? That's right--you can't. So if he tries to fuck with you, cut him.

And if you can't bring yourself to cut him, Scyther can. Choice Band Scyther is an insanely powerful offensive threat, and many teams are unprepared for it because people don't know how to use Flying resists when they don't use Mega Steelix. Most importantly, Scyther does an amazing job of helping Regice tear teams apart. When the opponent switches into something to take a hit from Scyther, you can simply U-turn into Regice and start clicking Ice Beam, especially against slower Pokemon and bulky Water-types that can't do much to Regice. Quick Attack is also our only priority on the team, so it's really important to keep around while the opponent still has faster Pokemon that could clean our team.

Steelix @ Steelixite | Sturdy
152 HP / 248 Atk / 16 Def / 92 Spe | Impish
Heavy Slam / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Roar

Just because your man isn't into drugs doesn't mean that he isn't bringing down your life in some way. If you find yourself stranded, looking for your man frequently, wondering where he is and why he won't answer your calls or texts, it is probably time to kick him to the curb. Some men like to jump ship and then come back when they need something, trying to butter you up and convince you that they won't disappear again, but his word is worth about as much as his reliability in the past--nothing.

When your man isn't there for you, it's pretty safe to rely on Mega Steelix because it checks about half the meta on its own. With massive bulk and the ability to serve as an offensive threat at the same time, Mega Steelix is an easy fit onto this team, which relies on soft checking most things and winning the game through sustained offensive pressure with bulky Pokemon. Because we already have Prinplup to set Stealth Rock, Steelix's last move is more flexible. At the moment, I'm running Roar in order to phase out offensive threats. The spread is pretty standard with some Speed to creep many defensive Pokemon, but I'm also running an Impish nature because it heavily accentuates Mega Steelix's already fantastic physical bulk.

Now that we understand the history of scrubs and how to spot one, none of us should ever have to settle for one. This team can further aid you in your quest to keep your love life scrub-free, so try it out. Specs Regice is a really strong set, and it works very well in this metagame because there are so few offensive Ice-types that no one really goes out of their way to cover them outside of slapping a Hariyama on their team, which this team has covered. Unfortunately, it does have a bit of a weakness to Life Orb Magmortar and pretty much any Fire-type that can tackle Prinplup, but other than that, it's a really solid team. Even that weakness isn't terrible because 1. Typhlosion is pretty much the only Fire-type in NU and 2. with enough offensive pressure, even those can be handled. Try it out, and make sure you let every scrub know that you want none of their kind.

Regice @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Lilligant (F) @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Nature Power

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- U-turn

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 152 HP / 248 Atk / 16 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Specs Regice is a great set that can beat Stunfisk and Shelgon at the same time ;_;.

I was tired of scrubs knocking me down the NU ladder left and right, and this team looks to be the cure to my issues. Thanks man :')

yo holly lordsquad as always. totally based, but I feel like fast fire types could throw you around a bit since you rely on prinplup to do much, and you kinda have a hard time playing around stuff like SD Cacturne and RD Ludi after only a bit of prior damage on certain mons. I mean you have means of pressuring them, but I feel like aren't necessarily safe especially with more passive mons like prinplup and xatu.

tbh you might wanna consider something along the lines of AV Yama over Scyther, in the sense that they can switch into fire mons one or two times without worry, and access to that extra priority and bulk + typing makes you a lot less weak to the aforementioned sweepers.

Your regice's ev spread is also kind of weird, 96 speed EVs doesn't really hit anything. I'd reccomend 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe to keep some extra bulk while still outpacing the nearest speed tier in 0/0 base 60s.

good shit like always ^.^

Regice spread is just to creep base 60s because few good players run 0 Speed. Another Fire resist would be nice, but Scyther helps make Regice good by U-turning on stuff that it loses to but Regice beat . The best option would probably be to cut Steelix for something that can check Fires, but I'm not sure what the best watt to approach it would be. For now I don't mind just showing little respect for them since Typh is basically the only Fire-type in the tier.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
honestly if mlix were gone id feel very confident suggesting mlix -> rhydon because it's obviously the most natural transition, covers your fire weakness without exposing too much. Ofc rhydon doesn't check CM Psychics, but you have a CB Scyther for it i guess but w/e mlix is mlix so there's no reason not to use it.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just call me Sheriff BT!
BT with AV.jpg
There is a new Sheriff in town! Your friendly Blametruth, and he is wearing formal attire and wondering if you've set a date yet? He is here to help me out on this rate and to just overall improve your team, and possibly your hearthstone battling prowess in the process!

Looking at your team we can see that you've thoroughly researched the scrub, and we're thinking about giving you some of that Youtube moneys for a research grant to further explore the ladders scrubbiness.

Regice:
Lets start off with the first member of your team Regice the Iceburg Pokemon, Blametruth has told me that he has a change that will help you and your team out 100%. That change is to put Assault Vest on Regice as this will increase his bulk and his looks and just overall effectiveness in battle. We would recommend keeping Sleep Talk on just incase you get knocked off so you can have some utility without your Assault Vest off.

Prinplup:
Now looking at this mon, it just isn't good looking and if you are gonna have it show up at your wedding to Blametruth it needs to be wearing formal attire. Putting Assault Vest on Prinplup just increases its overall looks and charms the other team into submission, honestly who needs an Eviolite when you have an Assault Vest? Like don't even care about the support moves, cause lets be real here, its gonna get knocked off and you'll have those options then.

Lilligant:
Lilligant is truly a terrifying mon, but it really doesn't have the bulk it needs to take specially offensive hits, to combat that Blametruth has recommended putting Assault Vest on Lilligant so as to take special hits better and just all around look classier. Blametruth really doesn't care that its the best special set up sweeper around, ASSAULT VEST EVERYTHING!!!!

Xatu:
Xatu may be hampered while flying, but putting Assault Vest on Xatu really is the only option here, it needs it to have a better matchup against special attackers and just take on the meta and ladder better.

Scyther:
Looking into Scyther one might assume that it is fly enough not to be running AV, well one would of assumed wrong because Blametruth recommends putting Assault Vest on Scyther and to just all around improve your laddering experience. If we could recommend putting two on, we would!

Steelix:
Now you would assume that having a mega stone would be the best option for Mega Steelix, and well you would be right. But mono Assault Vest is just what this team was destined to be, so putting Assault Vest on Steelix seems like your only option in this situation.

regice.jpg

prinplup.jpg

lilligant.jpg

xatu.jpg

scyther.jpg

steelix.jpg

will have up a real rate in the future, probably

the above post needs a big like imo...time to copy and use this anti scrub team imo. What does Tri Attack on Lilligant DO? lol, if it was up to me I'd replace it and add our lord and savior Modest Scarf Mesrit with Thunderbolt/U-Turn/Psychic/Healing Wish to be fair Vileplume also works in this spot to check fast Fighting types better,lol but to each his own! I like how we're dealing with fires here with Prinplup instead of AVest Hariyama! Actually your team seems to quite hate fast Banded/Scarfed Fighting types so I'd actually go with a bulky Scyther to deal with them,instead of Band. Again these are just tweaks I'm sugesting the team is p good as it is!. Cheers mate.

Just call me Sheriff BT!
View attachment 35148
There is a new Sheriff in town! Your friendly Blametruth, and he is wearing formal attire and wondering if you've set a date yet? He is here to help me out on this rate and to just overall improve your team, and possibly your hearthstone battling prowess in the process!

Looking at your team we can see that you've thoroughly researched the scrub, and we're thinking about giving you some of that Youtube moneys for a research grant to further explore the ladders scrubbiness.

Regice:
Lets start off with the first member of your team Regice the Iceburg Pokemon, Blametruth has told me that he has a change that will help you and your team out 100%. That change is to put Assault Vest on Regice as this will increase his bulk and his looks and just overall effectiveness in battle. We would recommend keeping Sleep Talk on just incase you get knocked off so you can have some utility without your Assault Vest off.

Prinplup:
Now looking at this mon, it just isn't good looking and if you are gonna have it show up at your wedding to Blametruth it needs to be wearing formal attire. Putting Assault Vest on Prinplup just increases its overall looks and charms the other team into submission, honestly who needs an Eviolite when you have an Assault Vest? Like don't even care about the support moves, cause lets be real here, its gonna get knocked off and you'll have those options then.

Lilligant:
Lilligant is truly a terrifying mon, but it really doesn't have the bulk it needs to take specially offensive hits, to combat that Blametruth has recommended putting Assault Vest on Lilligant so as to take special hits better and just all around look classier. Blametruth really doesn't care that its the best special set up sweeper around, ASSAULT VEST EVERYTHING!!!!

Xatu:
Xatu may be hampered while flying, but putting Assault Vest on Xatu really is the only option here, it needs it to have a better matchup against special attackers and just take on the meta and ladder better.

Scyther:
Looking into Scyther one might assume that it is fly enough not to be running AV, well one would of assumed wrong because Blametruth recommends putting Assault Vest on Scyther and to just all around improve your laddering experience. If we could recommend putting two on, we would!

Steelix:
Now you would assume that having a mega stone would be the best option for Mega Steelix, and well you would be right. But mono Assault Vest is just what this team was destined to be, so putting Assault Vest on Steelix seems like your only option in this situation.

I like the team but I think you should have eviolite on prinplup as it boosts its def and spdef and prinplup is an NFE so eviolite will give it the boosts instead of just one that assault vest gives but that is just my suggestion great team though!

Thanks for all the recent suggestions friends!

Also Master Sunny-EX Tri Attack hits Grass resists. That's it. Hidden Power Fire misses out on Fire-types, Hidden Power Rock does shit to bulky Grass-types, and Hidden Power Ice also misses out on Fire-types. Tri Attack at least hits all of those Pokemon for decent damage, only missing out on Steel-types, which doesn't really matter in a Mega Steelix meta because Grass covers that.

While this was an entertaining read, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on the drugs part. There is nothing wrong with a guy who enjoys the casual use of drugs.

congrats on winning the rmt of the week. you got a REALLY good team here! i dont know much about nu but the team looks really solid.

Just call me Sheriff BT!
View attachment 35148

Regice:

Prinplup:

Lilligant:

Xatu:

Scyther:

Steelix:

the only thing better than this in smogon is that "please unban this mewtwo set" thread that was around in OU.

Since this got bumped anyways, I updated this team today, swapping out Mega Steelix for Klinklang and Lilligant for AV Kangaskhan because the team was super weak to Magmortar, especially Assault Vest variants.

There you go darling BT. I have an Assault Vest on my team now. :heart:

don't feel obligated to change who you are and add assault vest to your life; if you keep employing this mentality, you'll begin to alienate those friends that appreciate you for who you are, instead replacing them with people that cling to you for the ideals you don't hold to be your own. you're a wonderful and unique individual, and there's no need to appeal to what's 'cool' if you don't find yourself agreeing to such ideals. the most important thing, as with most anything, is to just be yourself, and nobody in the world can do that better

i'll take my tr badge now

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
kanga av.jpg

Ah, what a fantastic choice in Assault Vest Kangaskhan. I mean you couldn't have chosen a cuter Pokemon to put matching Assault Vests on. Look at the little one, isn't it adorable? Your ladder expirience will be much more enjoyable with this Pokemon on your team. They should just give you double the Assault Vest, like a Parental Assault Vest and give you 1.83x Special Defense instead of the 1.5x. I'll talk to my contact at Gamefreak and see about having them add that in, in the next release.

klinklang blast shield.jpg
Now I'm not exactly sure how to fit an Assault Vest on Klinklang, so instead I had to come up with a totally new item! I decided to put in a Blast Shield! This new item not only increases your defense, it also protects you from all of the bullshit hax and scrubs! With a hidden ability that reduces damage taken from super effective Fire-type attacks by half making them only 1x effective. Wow what an amazing item :o! Blast Shield Klinklang will truly complete your team!

Regice / Prinplup / AV Kangaskhan / Xatu / Scyther / Klinklang

So finally doing that "real rate" I promised, seeing as you did an update and the meta is reasonably stable now I feel like I can give a quick rate.

I see bulky waters really giving your team a lot of trouble with the removal of lilligant as well as possibly Ferroseed if that becomes more popular again (this not so much cause you still have ways to beat it). There are a couple of things you could do to lure in Pokemon like Seismitoad and Quagsire. You could try Grass Knot > Toxic on Prinplup as well as Giga Drain > Heatwave on Xatu. Or you can switch out Klinklang for Sheer Force Mawile which would play a very similar role on your team to what Mega Steelix did. Of course it doesn't have the same amount of bulk like Steelix did, but it has two important things that it has over Klinklang. 1) It has access to priority with Sucker Punch (which would really help your team out seeing as you don't have a scarfed Pokemon and QA Scyther is rather weak). 2) it can lure in seriously damage Pokemon like Seismitoad and Klinklang with Play Rough. Klinklang is 2HKO'd with a bit of prior damage after Stealth Rock as is Seismitoad. Still a cool team built around Regice and I hoped that the small tweaks helped.

I figure you know the set Iron Head / Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Swords Dance | Fire Fang with a Life Orb and Sheer Force

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)