NOT the scl meme thread (please do not lock this arcticblast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
5 Deep Fucking Value Players

Drivetacos - is one of the most active DOU players on PS over the past couple of months. I have played some old gens with him and he is very capable of playing or at least testing in all of them. He is a solid player and I think he will be an even better teammate as he is very eager to compete and play at the highest levels. He has a good mind for building and is a smart player.

Karnisbroken - take a look at the room tour leaderboard and you will find his name near the top of the list. Don't take that lightly, he has dominated a few notable established players which should deserve him a starting spot in SS.

MADARAAAA - an Italian player (need I say more?), he could be the next Qwello or Umbry. And I am not even kidding, on my way to the top of the ladder for the DOU ladder achievements he was my most feared opponent. His teams are original and extremely good. He almost never makes a bad play. Give him a chance on your team and he will show he is not just a ladder hero.

entrocefalo - I have not seen him sign up yet (do it) but when/if he does you should strongly consider. Having made it to top 4 of the DUbers tour (losing closely to DaWoble) he has shown ability to compete with the best. Although best known for DUbers, I believe that will translate easily to SS DOU, he is still in the winners bracket of seasonals.

Voltix - I shouldn't have to say this name, but will just in case you forgot. Voltix is a long time player experienced in multiple gens who is capable of starting on any team. A student of Lord Tenzai and still in seasonals winners bracket, this might be a break out year for him.

All these players are Platinum God approved. If you draft a singles main over any of them I will kill you

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i wanna give a big s/o to all the viability ranking posters. i think its inspiring how you manage oi likewhore so much that when you one time manage to snipe bunny's anime viability rankings your whole little post is made to beat (hence why such low post:like ratio) you get all the hahas back

i'm sorry i didn't get it done in time but i wanted to post the anime VRs before draft went up and i just got lazy. here's my final draft version :)

and like last year: don't discuss this list, nominations are closed
note that these are not ordered within their own respective tier i can't be assed to do that

Tier 1
Neon Genesis Evangelion (+ The End of Evangelion)

Boy has to pilot a cyborg to stop Angels from destroying the Earth. A mammoth franchise and one of the medium's most seminal works upon its 1996 release, who managed to retain its cultural relevance through the sheer power of its character writing. Captivates a teenage angst and trauma in a densely packed story with meaningful symbolism and an extensive cast. A story that examines hurt, but also reminds us with cautious optimism that we can learn to love ourselves. Until THE END OF EVANGELION shreds you to pieces. Episodes 7-10 are a relatively rougher patch, but never does Evangelion sacrifice aesthetic or directorial quality elsewhere. Ping me on Discord if you ever want to talk Evangelion; I'll literally never stop

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (+ Rebellion)
Chronicles a group of girls who are offered the opportunity to become magical girls to fight witches. The result of a ridiculous amount of talent congregating to release a TV series that pushed boundaries without losing mainstream popularity. SHAFT's finest director Yukihiro Miyamoto and his knack for abstract and sensorial photography strings everything together. Under him works a team specialized in extravagant goth architecture and gorgeous color palettes. Visually Ume Aoki's cutesy character designs contrast Gekidan Inu Curry's nightmares Svankmajer-inspired witch designs. Yuki Kajiura's sweeping classical music aides Gen Urobuchi's melancholic script. Every element contributes to the 2010s most complete audiovisual experience, but what is remembered most strongly are the powerful characters with their own arcs who have been ripped dozens of times over, never telling those stories as convincingly as Madoka Magica does.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
When industrialists threaten to steamroll the valley of the wind, its princess comes to save it. Hayao Miyazaki's sophomore theatrical release sees him adapt his own eponymous manga. It's evident the story Miyazaki is constrained by the movie's length, always hinting towards a world with a history far larger than Miyazaki's canvas can portray. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is rough around its edges, notably with overnarration in its first half hour, but quickly unravels and encapsulates Miyazaki's recurring themes: a powerful young girl as main character, antiwar sentiments, and environmentalism. We're faced with the ugliness of humanity and how imperialist conquest has polluted the Earth, but its ending is more beautiful than you could imagine.

Liz and the Blue Bird
Two lesbian high-schoolers in the music club have their relationship deteriorate and struggle with the looming threat of graduation. Naoko Yamada's quest for realism has proven successful with Liz and the Blue Bird; a story that communicates most through character acting. Every movement, like a flinch, looks tiny but means so much. It's what defines these young girls struggling to navigate through relationships: being in love, realizing one's sexuality, envy, and mixing that all with unknown career prospects in the most tumultuous period of your life. Yamada's lesbian love story is an ode to animation and film, laden with scenes that are odes to clunky teenage love as well.

In this Corner of the World
Sunao Katabuchi's film examines the traumatizing World War 2 through the lens of an innocent housewife. This one hurts in how it succinctly portrays loss; that of oneself and their innocence, but also the literal deaths of neighbors and family members. But the reason I was bawling by the end of In this Corner of the World was not just because of grief. Simultaneously it is a celebration of family life, and camaraderie that allows step-by-step rehabilitation. It's a powerful romance that grapples with archaic societal expectations of women, but instead of following stereotypes they're celebrated for their individual strength. In this Corner of the World is laden with powerful scenes laced back-to-back, with every bit of its canvas obsessively detailed by Katabuchi's team. A melancholic grace and beauty coats this passion project and my favorite anime film of the 2010s.

Little Witch Academia (OVA)
A klutzy girl joins the witch academy following after her childhood role model, but it turns out she has no talent for magic whatsoever! This is the happiest concoction of Miyazaki's magical realism and TRIGGER's explosiveness you could dream of. The 25-minute OVA is an exhilarating wonderland of beautiful magic and uncharacteristically tight storytelling from Yoh Yoshinari. TRIGGER's strongest post-Gainax showing despite being so brief.

Ping Pong The Animation
Top ping pong players across the city prepare themselves for two big tournaments. The idiosyncratic Masaaki Yuasa adapting a manga from contemporary legend Taiyou Matsumoto; a match made in heaven. Ping Pong is a particularly interesting recommendation for Pokémon players, because the series is a character study for different competitors. It doesn't fall into shounen clichés, instead being a mature insight on how success burdens players at the top. The experimental visual style might be jarring at first, but later on you'll realize it allows for extra fluidity and expression which works in Ping Pong's favor. Has a killer soundtrack by Kensuke Ushio as well.
"The hero has no weakness."

Spirited Away
A young girl accidentally finds herself in the spirit world. Spirited Away is so overwhelming. It's easy to see why it transcends anime and lingers in the universal film canon since release: no other Miyazaki movie perfectly captures the ethereal melancholy of finding one's place in the foreign adult society, growing out of your childhood in the process. Chihiro's growth is certainly empowering as she goes from stumbling all over the place into contributing to the oiled machine. What sets this movie apart in Miyazaki's filmography for me, besides the unique child protagonist, is its moments of solemnity. Peace when Chihiro stares over the vast ocean; melancholy in the train; waiting at a stop. Spirited Away feels weirdly familiar, yet so intangible, as if a fleeting memory of waking up in the middle of the night and walking into the living room greeted by your parents' friends. And that doesn't even begin to mention the visual perfection, but I know tears start flowing as soon as Chihiro walks through that tunnel and is greeted by the greenest landscape I've ever seen. And that doesn't even begin to mention Joe Hisaishi's iconic soundtrack, but I know tears start flowing as soon those pianos soar in One Summer Day.

A young Avatar awakens in the middle of a 100-year war and learns he's the only Airbender left. It's a well-renowned Nickelodeon classic for all the right reasons: an immaculate balance between comedy and suspenseful writing with an excellent character cast. It's a testament to the series' writing that there's still long-standing debates about our favorite character. While most people would lean towards Zuko's outstanding redemption arc, one could just as easily point towards Sokka's development out of male insecurity, powerful girls like Katara or Toph, chillin' war criminal uncle Iroh, or any of the series' recognizable side characters. While Avatar is slow to start, by the second half of its first season it's on an unstoppable roll, peaking at the iconic Ba Sing Se arc. ATLA is a series for the ages and near compulsory viewing because I'm sure literally everyone would get something out of it.

FLCL
A cynical young boy's life is turned upside down by an alien who can put robots in your head. FLCL's off-beat presentation is sure to scare some viewers off, but for others it'll feel like the OVA is made for them personally. It's because Kazuya Tsurumaki's chaotic denpa directing explores purposelessness in puberty like few other shows does. FLCL's a stylish exhibition boasting some of anime's greatest animators at the height of their creativity, while looking at unrequited relationships, sexuality, and other difficult aspects of growing up within just six episodes. On a real 'viability' ranking this would be a bit too hit-or-miss to rank in tier 1, but because FLCL is very brief and a life-changing experience for some I'd still recommend anyone to check it out. Tag me on discord anytime if you want a 12 paragraph write-up on why Mamimi Samejima is my favorite character ever written.

Demon Slayer
In essence Demon Slayer does exactly nothing new, but it's strength lies in how well it distills and executes shounen tropes. It's no surprise the Infinity Train sequel surpasses Spirited Away in the box office; the series got all the necessary ingredients to grip its audiences. Tanjiro is a typical good-hearted main character, but his quest to turn his little sister from a demon to a human again carries genuine emotional gravitas. He's not overly naïve or driven by romance and instead by a familial bond which culminates into the iconic Hinokami ep 19. Demon Slayer also counts a wide cast of already memorable side characters each with stylish or straight-up beautiful designs and personalities that bounce well off each other. While one might criticize ufotable's compositing, there's an undeniable quality to the series' urban Taisho-era aesthetic and effects-heavy animation. It's in tier 2 because your mileage may vary on by-the-numbers shounen, but Demon Slayer is one of the most refined in its genre.

Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight

Tomohiro Furukawa's solo debut: Revue Starlight is a captivating slice-of-life drama about eight girls who are invited to a mysterious audition process for their upcoming stage performance's leading role. It's easy to recognize the numerous aesthetic flourishes Furukawa absorbed while working as Ikuhara's right-hand man on Penguindrum and Lesbian Bear Storm. Starlight is filled with powerful stage directing, spacious storyboards, and meaningful recurring symbolism all tied together with a strong sense of style. Fumiaki Kouta's action direction is similarly marvelous, always striking a balance between visual motifs and dynamism within fights. Starlight's narrative overarches into a poignant critique on Takarazuka's talent mill grinding out many actress' passion, with a warm-hearted layer of camaraderie and mutual admiration over it. The series is as much a story about what is sacrificed for a new star to be born as it is a slice-of-life about lesbians pranking each other in their dorms. Someone might critique it for slightly thin characterization, but even then there's a sequel film slated to release in three months. Excited to see what Furukawa does in the future, one of very few truly exciting directors in the industry!

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
Human princess Sya doesn't care about being captured by the demon lord because she just wants to sleep all day! Sleepy Princess might sound like a gimmicky premise, and its punchline remains the same, but the strength resides in its increasingly elaborate setups as Sya develops friendships with a wide cast. While the demon lord struggles to keep his deceptively strong hostage in control, his minions can't help but feel sympathetic towards Sya despite her (literally) cutting down anything in her path to sleep. There's a consistently heartwarming vibe going on because every new gag is built upon the princess' last interaction with any of the characters within the series' entertaining side cast. Sleepy Princess won't be for everyone, and it's episode slapstick setup causes it to slip on occasion, but its barrage of cute reaction faces and countless heartwarming moments instantly propelled it to my all-time favorites.

3-gatsu no Lion
A depressed shogi prodigy goes through a professional slump.

Wolf Children (+ other Mamoru Hosoda)
Mamoru Hosoda is indubitably the most commercially viable of Kunihiko Ikuhara understudies, being one of few anime directors recognized by the larger public for Mirai no Mirai. He boasts an expansive repertoire of different movies but has spent last decade making movies about young children in urban fantastical societies. Although Hosoda's career at Ghibli never came to fruition - he was initially supposed to direct Howl's Moving Castle - you can easily see the whimsical magical realist edge that defines Miyazaki's repertoire. There's a number of bangers in Hosoda's filmography such as The Boy and the Beast, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and storyboarding Samurai Champloo's opening (one of the best in anime history I must add) but the consensus is that Wolf Children is his most affecting script. It's about a young mother who moves to the countryside after the father of her two wolf children dies. It's a beautiful story about self-identity and working hard through adversity, but finding beauty in simplicity as well.

Haikyuu!!
The tiny Hinata has incredible jumping skills but is inexperienced, whereas 'king of the court' Kageyama is refined but too selfish. Together they bring out the best in each other.

Samurai Champloo
A young girl convinces two samurai to guard her while she looks for a mysterious man that smells like sunflowers.

Akira
A top-secret child breaks loose and unlocks powers within Tetsuo, a biker gang delinquent

Pokemon

Akudama Drive
Relentlessly stylish cyberpunk drama/thriller written by Danganronpa's Kazutaka Kodaka. Many episodes take on a different tone from the previous - sometimes it's a battle royale, a train heist, slice-of-life about runaways in a dystopian near future, or a horror - but tight writing and Tomohisa Taguchi's directing ties it together in one satisfactory cohesive and aesthetic package. One of my favorites from last year for it relishes in its emotional scenes as much as it does in its extravagant fight choreographies. A great original with the caveat some people might dislike Kodaka's writing style and characterization.

The Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari are tier 3; the rest is tier 3.5-4 with the exception of Nise which is a 5)
I love it, I hate it. I love it, I hate it. I love it, I hate it. I'd never recommend Monogatari to anybody, but I got two boxsets of its light novels on my desk. Some of its scenes are stomach churning, but I could rewatch Bakemonogatari on a loop. It's a series defined by Nisio Isin's contradictories, where his narratives about overcoming teenage trauma has child molestation played for laughs a scene later. A story about a lesbian learning to come to terms with her sexuality is followed by one where a 13-year old is inspected with lecherous voyeurism. Sometimes Monogatari is brilliant, other times you wonder why the fuck someone would ever write this. At times a wonderful journey that treats teenage trauma with the gravitas it deserves, at other times a pretentious mess. Often it's all of that at once, but Tatsuya Oishi's visual presentation is undeniable. His perfectionism and abstract direction elevates Monogatari into a class of its own compared to derivatives like Bunnygirl-senpai, and as such it's no surprise that other installments rank lower.

Kemono Friends
Attack on Titan
Princess Connect! Re:Dive
Kakushigoto
Space Control Luluco
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Symphogear
Kill la Kill
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Your Name (+ other Makoto Shinkai)
The iDOLM@STER
Gal & Dino
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
New Game!
Miru Tights

Dr. Stone
Fate/Grand Order: Babylonia
One Punch Man
Fate/Zero

Shokugeki no Soma
Kakegurui
Keijo!!!!!!!
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Steins;Gate
Bleach
Boku no Hero Academia

KonoSuba
Oregairu (Bunnygirl-senpai)
Sword Art Online
Elfen Lied
No Game No Life
cringe shounen with self-insert black haired male characters and/or incest shows and/or seasonal romcom ecchis and/or isekai and/or things that ends up on r/animemes
+ your favorite anime

that's all for this year folks. u can tag me on discord so if u want to explain a placement for each show

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
My Journey to get #1 on the SS DOU ladder under an alt named "IloveKyle" because I love pain or MJTG1OTSDLUAANIBILP for short. (Failed lmao)
Probably the theme song
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 11.43.50 PM.png

Highest I reached
Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 11.50.20 PM.png

Yeah, I wasn't really close imo.

Imagine having a good transition.

I did this for the sole purpose of getting drafted, which I believed was my only hope (it was lmao) because I didn't think I was very good at this game. That opinion has not changed one bit there.
My sad lack of confidence aside, this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was still horrible don't worry! Just not as much as I thought it would be.
I actually think I became a better player from this! Of course that was a low bar to begin with/ I learned such things as considering your opponents options, fusion bolt the fini, etc. (also that I hate using tr).
I used exactly two teams the entire time, which I won't reveal as they are quite literally my only teams.
I was in a close game against Qwello once! But then I choked. Really badly. And that's about all i'm proud of from MJTG1OTSDLUAANIBILP.
Things i'm not proud of: Outlucked Outskilled memo by hitting a double protect
Lost to GenOne like ten times and didn't win one.
I'm forgetting something.

Oh! and I missed 5 flip turns in a row from a single muddy water accuracy drop! smile

Yeah i'm likewhoring at this point lol.

Would I recommend you do this? Yes, because you're statistically better than me (I saw the opportunity and I took it)
Would I do this again? haha no
Am I stalling this out for no reason? ye
Do I need to stop asking questions I immediately answer? yes

alright i'm done
aforementioned battle against Qwello: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1274852793

I can only do self deprecation humor :(

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Greetings, people of the DOU community! This my first time posting rankings of any kind, but anyway, here are my personal Power Rankings for DPL 7, along with short descriptions and what I project to be their line-up. A short disclaimer: I'm, of course, not including Squirtles, the undisputed, objectively #1 team of DPL 7.

#1. Hau'oli Haxers

SS: Yoda2798
SS: Nido-Rus
DUU: Demantoid
SM: YoBuddy
XY: Mishimono
BW: Biosci
Bench: Akaru Kokuyo, Eisenherz, Sakura, Ninjadog

I've seen people rating this team last and I'm honestly confused??? as this is the only team out of 5 with no hole in any of the playing slots. The line-up I projected have all proven to be good at the tiers they play in, and the average level of talent on the team is high enough that it can make up for the lack of any "true star" as this team is capable of exploiting the all the other slots that opposing teams will have weaker. Yoda2798 is a kickoff winner, and Nido-Rus had a great DWCOP run; Demantoid and Mishimono are together and are both respectable DUU players, with Mishimono I personally rate higher at XY. YoBuddy has had respectable performances in SM, and Biosci is the old reliable. The team also isn't lacking in teambuilding either, there's reasonable flex among the starters, and the bench is also respectable themselves as pilots. I don't see this team missing out on playoffs barring a US Central-level meltdown. Also, YoBuddy in SS and Yoda2798 in SM is also a possible line-up for this team, as Yoda2798 doesn't seem like a builder, it's easier to recycle in an oldgen, and both are good at the other tier still.

#2. Galar Ghosters

SS: Grandmas Cookin'
SS: Zigh
DUU: the_bandit
SM: emforbes
XY: Z Strats
BW: MetalGro$$
Bench: Mr.GX, Maki, Oravlatore, Enzonana.

The defending champs, KyleCole's team most notably features the return of their pairing with emforbes. emforbes has expressed desire to play XY in their signup, though I assume theywill be fine manning Gen VII considering their winning relationship with Kyle; this team, IMO, is scarier with emforbes in SM and a proven capable XY player in Z Strats holding Gen VI, though the team is likely still fine with the two placed vice-versa. The team also has Grandmas Cookin', who bossed up for Team Canada in WCOP, as well the hyped rookie the_bandit in DUU, who I see performing well. The team features good talent all around, though it does have a weakness in its second SS slot and BW I think; I think Zigh has more to prove and I wouldn't be surprised to see them play well, and MetalGro$$ is in the hardest old gen and while they did perform well in the last Classic, they could still be left quite exposed here since I also don't see much in terms of team support in the team. All in all, the team has a solid lineup with emforbes there to bring it home in whatever tier they play, and it's a matter of if the supporting cast can bring it home and whether or not they can hold the line in BW I think.

#3 Team [Logo Pending]

SS: Qwello Lee
SS: frania
DUU: EternalSnowman
SM: MajorBowman
XY: Human
BW: Yellow Paint
Bench: GenOne, Toxigen

AuraRayquaza, now no longer snubbed as a manager, is back for DPL 7, and this time he's no longer capped at 3k picks for starter slots. The Spectral Thieves notably feature a really strong SS DOU core in Qwello Lee and frania, the former the year's biggest standout and Invitational winner, and the latter a known hard worker and reliable player all around that's also proven to have the goods in the past with a circuit win of their own. MajorBowman is there to man SM, though I think they have to prove that they can shake off the crust. I believe Human is a capable XY player; they have a VGC background and are a good fundamentals player all around, and I think it's a matter of them showing that they can bring it in XY DOU itself. The team does have a notably weaker DUU and BW though; nobody on the team has a winning background in DUU as far as I can see, and while Yellow Paint can play BW the odds are still stacked against them in this field. I also don't think the team has much in terms of teambuilding power; the team's performance, it seems, depends on whether or not the SS DOU slots can boss up, and if the other slots can hold their own.

#4. Spanish Heroes

SS: Voltix
SS: Tenzai
DUU: SMB
SM: TonyFlygon
XY: JRL
BW: Mizuhime
Bench: emma, Yuichi

Juan Maestros has a pretty thematic team here with Spaniards, notably starring the SMBoat himself. I personally think this team is very respectable and I like everyone here as players; I'm not overly enthusiastic on their chances of beating the teams I rated above, though. The team is solid all around, but there aren't really any standouts aside from SMB, and if SMB mans DUU then they'll have a black hole for a playing slot as well. JRL has performed well in XY last year despite being new to it and has shown to bring results, while Voltix, Tenzai, and Mizuhime are players that I respect; relative to the players on other teams though, they rank around the middle of the pack in their respective tiers, it seems. SM will look like to be a hole that needs to be filled; I personally project TonyFlygon to play there considering they're just simply a good player™, but ignoring them not being a "true" doubles player I also don't think the team has the metagame knowledge and building power for SM (unless we consider SMB just giving an SM team and calling it a day as reasonable). I also don't see JRL as a builder for XY, though ig SMB can also help with that? Overall, it does feel that this team lives and dies by SMB's performance, and even then the rest of the team would have to be punching above their weight class. I do note that this team would be much better with SMB in SM and yuichi manning DUU, and mayhaps such a lineup could make an appearance.

#5 Santalune Storms

SS: Shadowmonstr7
SS: zeefable
DUU: AtmosphereVGC
SM: stax
XY: qsns
BW: DaWoblefet
Bench: London13, Arcticblast, laptops

This team is very interesting, as they could either boss up or just flop and it's tough to see an in-between. This is mostly because they have qsns and stax, two very very good players that, at the same time, are also possibly quite crust. And then there's their other star in DaWoblefet who, while good, is in BW, and we all know that BW giveth and BW taketh away. The Gen VII slots also seem like they're in the middle of the pack; Shadowmonstr7 is an Invis qualifier and AtmosphereVGC did well enough in the last DUU tour, though whether or not they can boss up in their respective fields in DPL 7 is to be seen. Word on the street is that zeefable is really good though, with my sources stating that they've been repeatedly drafted for NPA, so maybe they can be poised to impress for the Storms here? Whatever the case is, we have a very volatile Storms squad that can either do some serious damage or just dissipate as quickly as they came.

Excited to see how close the lineups I thought are to reality :cwl: If you have any grievances with my ranking, my advice for you is to show the goods in DPL 7; here's to a fun, competitive and overall great experience for the tour!

Last edited:
Are you unsure of how to profess your love?
Do you or your partner enjoy puns?
Would you just like your DPL manager to know how much you appreciate them drafting you?
If you answered "Yes" to one or more of these questions, use a SingleThunder Valentine's Day card to let that special someone know how you feel!
Happy Valentine's Day!

youre  todays omaSTAR_final.png
Love you to the Moon and Back Lunatone_final.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)