National Dex novacane

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

:ss/latias-mega: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/clefable: :ss/heatran::ss/rotom-wash: :ss/landorus-therian:

Introduction

Gm all, this RMT is for a very special team attached to a very special song, and dedicated too all of the special people I have met on this site across the nearly 2 years I‘ve been on this site, and all the special and amazing memories that go along with it :]. Also, yes, this is the same 6 as the Tricking SM Sample but that‘s completely coincidental, and didnt even realise it was the same until someone pointed it out a week later lol. This team was honestly a team that I didnt expect to love using this much, nor pilot well as i’m more used to faster offense-y teams, so a Mega Latias balance was a bit different for me. This team also uses some sets which I have started using much much more, and think are amazing (looking at you Helmet CM Clef), and some personally underrated sets in the current metagame (PLEASE people use Z-Move Washer more, shits wonderful). Anyways, dont want to babble on, so lets get into the team!

Teambuilding Process

:latias-mega:
Mega Latias was the initial idea of the build, as I had gotten a bit tired of building fast paced offenses and wanted to try some bulkier stuff, and CM Mega Latias was a Pokemon I always found very fun if you played it right. I chose the Sub + SPower set since with Weavile so popular, feel Substitute forcing Triple Axel alongside a Rocky Helmet Pokemon would be really really fun, alongside potentially Hazard Stack letting me quickly wear down Weavile so Mega Latias could win.

:latias-mega: + :ferrothorn:
With the idea ingrained in my head of HStack + Helmet + Sub Mega Latias, I immediately jumped to Ferrothorn since that's a Pokemon which I thought was incredible in the current metagame, and after seeing a lot of Ferrothorn + Mega Latias builds in both NDPL and old SM replays, I was convinced to use it over the obvious other contender in Skarmory. Initially I had used a Rocky Helmet on it to go with my initial idea, but as ill detail later on I eventually swapped it to Leftovers and moved the Helmet to a different Pokemon.

:latias-mega: + :ferrothorn: + :clefable:
Clefable was a quick pick for the next slot, it let me slot in Stealth Rocks, a secondary Win Condition, as well as a Dark Resist to help with the likes of Ash Greninja, Weavile, and Hydreigon. I’ve always been a big Clefable advocate, and know how dumb its Calm Mind sets can be, but after playing around with the CM Rocks set for a bit, I realised in meta where Corv is uncommon, and so many Steel types like Mega Scizor, Melmetal, and Heatran so popular, not being able to punish them is horrible. I then decided to make Clefable Rocky Helmet instead as with Clef having actual consistent recovery, it could abuse the Helmet better, as well as opt for Thunder Wave over Stealth Rocks where I got inspiration from a common ORAS Clefable set which seemed demonic.

:latias-mega: + :ferrothorn: + :clefable: + :heatran:
Okay, here came the issue of both slotting Stealth Rocks, having some Volcarona and Serperior counterplay, and having a way to pressure Mega Mawile and Ferrothorn comfortably. Heatran was the fairly obvious answer here, and I just opted for a relatively standard SpDef set with Toxic to deal with Volc, and put a timer on Mega Charizard Y, which is a major threat since they are almost always paired with Weavile.

:latias-mega: + :ferrothorn: + :clefable: + :heatran: + :rotom-wash:
At this point I realised breaking Toxapex would be annoying since I was SPower MTias, and the likes of CM Tapu Fini, offensive Grounds such as SD Gliscor and Garchomp would be hard to break through. Rotom-W was a choice suggested by a friend, and not something I would think to use on a balance build like this. My skepticism quickly faded as I found out how useful this Pokemon was in battle. Pain Split was a tremendous asset against a lot of teams, and the defensive utility it in itself brought was extremely useful in tight situations.

:latias-mega: + :ferrothorn: + :clefable: + :heatran: + :rotom-wash: + :landorus-therian:
Ah yes, I forgot the number one thing all ND teams should have (for the most part). A Ground type. The team also felt quite slow, and with MTias being SubSPower, it meant SD Kartana and the Offensive Grounds were annoying. Scarf Lando T was the clear choice here, filling in all the holes I needed, and completed the team :).

The Team

:ss/latias-mega::poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
NOVACANE (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Recover
- Stored Power

Standard Sub CM MTias set, can instantly win games just based on preview and its easy to pressure and lure the likes of Weavile and Pex which can annoy you. Reflect Type is a cool and interesting option that over Sub, lets u beat shit like Sciz, Pex and Clef much easier, but I personally prefer Sub. Otherwise, fairly standard set.

:latias-mega: :ss/ferrothorn::poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
FOR THE PAIN (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Our CM Clef counterplay, as well as helps a lot with Reuniclus if Clef gets to TWave it or Rotom Thunder Paras. Is the KOffer of the team, so you really want to preserve it in the long run. Spikes being broken is also another reason, helps a ton with Weavile and Tar and the like if you play well. 12 Speed on Ferro is to outspeed Paralysed Clefable, so you can ParaFlinch it, and better chance to beat CM Flame variants.

:latias-mega: :ferrothorn: :ss/clefable::poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
PRETTY GIRLS (Clefable) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

CM Helmet Clefable, by far one of my favourite Clefable sets. Helmet is absolutely stupid, it means you can easily 1v1 past non Knock Ferro and HSlam Tran lacking Taunt. CM Clef is also an already absurd wincondition, and with how pressured Steels are with the team, and TWave to help hax through them, this Pokemon is a monster if played right. Otherwise, fairly standard set, I run 8 Speed evs to outspeed 4 Speed opposing Clef and Pokemon creeping Clefable such as 12 Speed Ferrothorn post Paralysis.

These are some notable calcs for things you can stall out and wear down with Helmet, assuming no flinch / crit:

252 Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Clefable in Rain: 195-229 (49.4 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Clefable: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

:latias-mega: :ferrothorn: :clefable: :ss/heatran: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
PITY PITY (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Just standard SpDef Heatran, Speed lets you creep Modest Magnezone and a bit more which is personal preference, and Max SpDef is fine as well. This gives more counterplay against Weavile as well as our Rocker. Overall, the set is quire standard, and i’ve experimented with Lava Plume > Magma to deal with offensive Grounds easier, but found the trapping factor to be much more useful in removing Toxapex.

:latias-mega: :ferrothorn: :clefable: :heatran::ss/rotom-wash::poke-ball:
CANT FEEL A THING (Rotom-Wash) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 136 SpA / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Thunder

This Bulky- Offensive Rotom-W set is a personal favourite set to use alongside the likes of Mega Lopunny or like Blacephelon. I prefer it to Nasty Plot since it lets you instantly eliminate Toxapex, instead of still being forced to Volt which is annoying. You can try Nasty Plot here, im just not a fan of it. The EV spread lets you OHKO Toxapex with Z-Thunder, outspeed Modest Magnezone and dump in Defense for better bulk.
:latias-mega: :ferrothorn: :clefable: :heatran: :rotom-wash::ss/landorus-therian:
LOVE ME NOW (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
- U-turn

Lastly, Choice Scarf Lando T fills out whatever rest the team needs, some solid speed control, a Ground type, a Fogger, and something to revenge the likes of Mega Lopunny and Mega Garchomp. Fairly self explanatory set, with 244 Speed letting it outspeed Arctozolt in Hail, and the rest in HP for bulk.

Threat List

:scizor-mega:
Offensive Mega Scizor can get annoying for the team as Rotom isnt Wisp and Tran is slower. However, if Clef gets to Para it then Heatran can RK it, and Rotom can still pressure it a lot since its a more offensive set and fish for Thunder Paralysis. If you keep Rotom alive OffMZor shouldn’t be an issue.

:weavile:
I dont really have hard, consistent switch ins to this thing, and you rely on wearing down Banded sets with your Helmet Clefable + extreme hazard pressure. Z-Move sets can get nasty, but its not unplayable. If you manage your team well then this wont be an issue.

:tapu-lele:
Since both my Steels die to Focus, CM Z or 4A or 3A Spoon Lele can get extremely hard to deal with, and you always have to get turns right and stay on top of the game. Generally against these specific Lele you have to sort of ”win first”, and outplay it. It isnt that hard in practice than on paper honestly.

:kartana:
Swords Dance Kartana can be really bad for the team if you dont play the early game well, you need wear it down into EQ range of Lando, and prevent it from getting free setup. If Lando gets knocked, then this is going to get much harder.

:charizard-mega-y: + :weavile:
Yeah, this absolutely mauls the team if played well, but is probably a 50/50 MU depending on how you play and their sets on other mons (Madness Fini, Knock Off or Sacred on Kart), and can easily outplay sun turns and get rocks up. Unfortunately, struggling against Char Y is a consequence of using Rotom and not Pex on your balances x).

NOVACANE (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Recover
- Stored Power

PRETTY GIRLS (Clefable) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

FOR THE PAIN (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

PITY PITY (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

CANT FEEL A THING (Rotom-Wash) @ Electrium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 136 SpA / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Thunder

LOVE ME NOW (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
- U-turn

Closing Words

Sometimes I cant believe I’ve only been on this site for a year lol, I‘ve met so many new people, made new memories, gone through numerous new experiences in my life. I’ve made a bunch of new friends, and unfortunately lost a few along the way as well. Anyways, dont want to slog this on for too long, so onto shoutouts!

R8 omicorio pannuracotta you three r legit my favourite people on this site, NGL i dont know if i would still be here larping without you guys, Thank you :].

AlphaRay01 LpZ 3MoreMinutes Noglastica SJKNOL Orangesodapop anique Haok Snak Lialiabeast @rest of u u all fucking suck @ everyone (ily all top 1 jerk oat)

Kate Aberforth Frito Lauriane lotiasite WSun1 baconeatinassassin chlo Icemaster Nol Fc Nevelle @ rest of dc u guys r like top 2 jerk but CAN be top 1 if u free degeneral (ily all :3)

Lalaya Eve nvk gorex ChrisPBacon Mario34 simp blce
Solaros & Lunaris Zen UT yuki dex spoo DerpyBoi Jordy Avaritia avyrie jonas iapt Ratio 413X Seldanna beauts Skooma Ballfire Lunala u guys are KINDA OKAY i guess… maybe (u all are amazing, and ty for being a part of my smogon experience)

if i forgot to tag u either then i probably forgot but u r still cool in my heart (but not cool enough that i remembered….)

1C8E1135-14D4-4526-AE82-A2209ADF8BD7.jpeg

stfu lotiasite be THANKFUL u even got onto here

also i cant believe i accidentally made my 1000th post a fucking spotlight reservation i am such a larper

Last edited:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
wtf i remember your 500th post, i was thinking no way adem really larped their way to 1000 posts in a so short amount of time. Turns out that was posted 7 months ago (which is still a quite massive amount of larp). Love u tho, you are easily one of my favorite people i've met on this website too <3

btw pings did not work, i nearly missed this lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)