Announcement np: BDSP OU Suspect Process, Round 2 - Afterglow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader

:dp/manaphy:

(Thanks Lily for the song suggestion!)
Hello everyone! As promised, the BDSP OU tiering council will be suspect testing Manaphy.

Manaphy has been possibly the single most notorious Pokemon in the tier among the wider community since the very start. It's not hard to see why- with its great coverage, solid stats, potent pure Water typing, and access to Tail Glow, it was set to be a threat from the get-go. Its bulk and defensive typing stands out amongst wallbreakers of its caliber, allowing it to survive monstrous hits like Specs Latios's Draco Meteor when given HP investment- this bulk often gives it the opening it needs to set up once, after which it can OHKO the vast majority of the tier. As such, it is quite difficult to prevent Manaphy from getting at least a single KO when it hits the field, which many see as fundamentally unhealthy.

Manaphy has a decent amount of flexibility to its staple set, which consists of Tail Glow, Surf, Ice Beam, and Energy Ball. It can be ran with HP or Speed investment, with both options having distinct upsides and being well-suited to different Offense styles, like Sticky Web and Screens, respectively. Its item slot is flexible too- while Leftovers is the most common choice, the likes of Wacan Berry, Salac Berry, Quick Claw, and several other niche items have been used to decent success, as Manaphy is very unreliant on its item to do its job. Even other moves, such as Rain Dance to boost Surf and activate Hydration, Skill Swap to bypass Unaware, and Substitute to more easily enable Salac Berry and ease prediction, have been used effectively.

However, it is important to note that Manaphy almost never sweeps well-built teams. Versus more offensive teams, its mediocre base 100 Speed and reliance on setting up due to its poor immediate power means that it typically gets chipped while setting up, enabling it to be picked off by foes like Latios, Gengar, Garchomp, Alakazam, Starmie, and more, such as the decently viable Raikou. The former two often running Choice Specs and Thunderbolt makes them especially effective revenge killers of Manaphy from very high health, and Latios is even immune to the Sticky Web Manaphy is sometimes supported by. Manaphy's requirement to set up in order to get anything done means that it's easy for offensive teams to pressure it on the setup turn, making it difficult for Manaphy to stay healthy enough to set up more than once.

Versus stall, standard Manaphy is quite easily shut down by Unaware Clefable, ironically making Stall the safest playstyle versus a notorious wallbreaker. While Skill Swap or Rain Dance Manaphy can cause issues for certain stall teams, dropping one of Manaphy's coverage moves can severely impact its threat level in other matchups, and these moves still don't guarantee victory- Skill Swap Manaphy will fall flat if the stall player can switch Clefable out and then bring it back in, especially if they have a Mantine or healthy Blissey to pivot through, Rain Dance Manaphy can have issues with Wish + Protect Clefable stalling it a fair bit, and both are totally invalidated by Shedinja stall without extremely well played hazard support. Of course, while Unaware Clefable is great on stall regardless, it could be argued that Manaphy all but forcing it to be ran on stall is unhealthy. Additionally, more balanced, and therefore slow, teams struggle versus Manaphy if their speed control isn't very strong or is handled prior to Manaphy entering battle. These teams aren't considered very viable in the current meta in general though, with them typically facing vulnerabilities to several other fast attackers like Latios, Gengar, and Alakazam; however, Manaphy is probably still the biggest culprit in their low viability.

It should also be noted that Manaphy faces competition in its roles. As a Water-type breaker, it competes with Azumarill, Crawdaunt, and Feraligatr, which respectively offer similar setup potential and a Fairy typing, nuclear power, and amazing sweeping potential with Dragon Dance. All three notably boast a better matchup versus stall as their raw power lets them bypass Clefable, and their priority or Speed boosting makes them similarly potent, if not better, versus offensive teams. Azumarill and Feraligatr even fit on similar styles: the former enjoys both Screens and Webs, and the latter is a Screens staple. As a fast special setup sweeper, Manaphy faces competition from the likes of Gengar, Alakazam, and Calm Mind Latios/Latias. None of these match the combination of bulk and coverage Manaphy possesses, though, which leaves Manaphy distinctly unique.

In summary: Manaphy is a notably bulky setup attacker that regularly claims at least one KO per battle, although it is often quite simple to limit it to that single KO with already great Pokemon like Latios, Garchomp, and Gengar revenge killing it. Teams with weaker speed control, such as ones that rely on priority or Choice Scarf users, can struggle more with handling Manaphy unless they opt to run Unaware Clefable or Mantine. While Manaphy is not the council's biggest concern currently, we can respect people considering it an unhealthy presence and would like to respect our promise by holding a suspect test.

• ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.
GXEMinimum games
  • You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be BD2M. For example, I might sign up with the ladder account BD2M Eve.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • We will be using the regular BDSP OU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
  • The aspect being tested, Manaphy, will be allowed on the ladder.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a Council member or BDSP Metagames moderator, to which we will edit in confirmation. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
  • The suspect test will go on for two weeks, lasting until January 24th at 11:59 pm (GMT+0), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. However, this thread will be strictly moderated, moreso than the average OU forum thread. Our moderators will apply discretion as to what is appropriate. Please read and keep in mind the following before posting:

• No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspects;
  • No discussion on the suspect process -- this includes testing Manaphy vs other potential suspects;
  • You are required to make respectful posts;
  • You are required to read this thread before posting.
  • Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
  • Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the OU Council and the OU Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
    • Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
    • You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
    • Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderater.
    • Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
    • This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message a BDSP OU Council Member or BDSP Metagames forum moderator, or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
    • Extra Manaphy-specific note: DON'T use "Tail Glow is a better Nasty Plot" or similar statements as a pro-ban argument; this logic is frighteningly common for how little it actually proves. Cotton Guard is a better Iron Defense, but that doesn't make Dubwool a better Body Press user than Corviknight in SwSh OU.
Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message a BDSP OU Council Member. If you have any questions about the moderation of this thread, feel free to message a BDSP Metagames forum moderator.

Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!

Last edited:

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Going to unlock the thread early this time, please don't post any rushed one-liners or likefarms I trust you all :blobthumbsup:

IMPORTANT EDIT: The GXE requirement will be raised back to a minimum of 80% now that the metagame is more settled.

Last edited:

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
I’m going to be honest here, during the rain era and a little bit of time post rain I was all for a manaphy quick ban or suspect even ahead of latios. This was during the charity bowl when clef/mantine balance was spammed every match that’s not rain. But a lot has changed since then and now I consider manaphy to only be an A tier mon at best. Now that’s not throwing shade at manaphy. It is still undeniably one of the 5 best mons in the meta but just not ban worthy imo.

:latios: is by far one of the best checks to manaphy with specs draco ohkoing all non bulky variants. It is also due to the fact lati stayed which caused balance to be less and less seen on ladder and the kick off tour. That is where I believe is the main benefit of using manaphy. Destroying balance and BO builds where you can easily set up and put a dent in the opposing team with only 1/2 mons that can even consider revenge killing.

You can also definitely argue the fact that it is because of manaphy, balance has been considered more niche but I believe that is more on the fault of latios. This is most evident in the recent sample teams update, none of the teams will struggle against manaphy and has no problem vs it on paper. I’ll detail later below on why manaphy is a non factor vs any of the samples and one thing to keep in mind. There is only a single balance/BO in the entire samples. I’ll probably be voting for dnb if I do try reqs this time around.

(Listed in order by sample)
HO #1: No set up room and only notable target is gater/azumarill which both live an energy ball and do significant damage back.
HO #2: Same issue as HO #1 but instead of gater it is cloyster in this situation.
HO #3: Same story here. No set up room, everything lives and does significant damage back.
Dramag #1: Can put in work if played right vs empoleon but it’s most likely an 1 for 1 trade.
Dragmag #2: Even worse as the only change is jirachi>empo which can pivot out easily into a revenge killer.
Offense #1: No notable target outside of ttar.
Offense #2: Not doing shit here.
The only BO: Would you look at that, the only balance build that manaphy can even set up against. This build can definitely be crushed by manaphy if played right.
Stall #1: Stone walled by cm unaware clef.
Stall #2: Stone walled by cm blissey.
Stall #3: Stone walled by shed but outplayable if sand is in play.

TLDR: Manaphy does it’s best job vs balance/BO builds and you just don’t see those much if at all in the current meta. Which really doesn’t allow it to shine or be of any use in most matches.

Last edited:
From the current metagame trends I experienced during BDSP OU, I think Manaphy is transitioning from an awkward phase. During rain spam it was arguably the most broken mon outside of Blaziken at the time, but once the metagame settled down a bit, it looks like manaphy isn't as a huge threat as it once was.

Yeah, you can argue that tail glow + its good bulk makes it hard to kill especially once it sets up, but the metagame as seen some slight changes that doesn't make it pose as an immediate threat. We've seen pokemon like choice-scarf/specs Rotom-Wash, Empoleon, Blissey that are splashable checks rather than niche answers to manaphy. Latios can easily wear down manaphy and could be argued that latios is a bigger problem in this metagame than manaphy. Unaware clef still remains supreme but manaphy can also run skill swap.

Overall, I think there are more manaphy answers than what we first started off with when the metagame was new and volatile. Do I think manaphy is good? Yes, no doubt. Broken? Depends who you talk to, but based on the metagame trends rn, I think it is not broken as of right now.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
I’m going to be honest here, during the rain era and a little bit of time post rain I was all for a manaphy quick ban or suspect even ahead of latios. This was during the charity bowl when clef/mantine balance was spammed during every match that’s not rain. But a lot has changed since then and now I consider manaphy to only be an A tier mon at best. Now that’s not throwing shade at manaphy. It is still undeniably one of the 5 best mons in the meta but just not ban worthy imo.

:latios: is by far one of the best checks to manaphy with specs draco ohkoing all non bulky variants. It is also due to the fact lati stayed which caused balance to be less and less seen on ladder and the kick off tour. That is where I believe is the main benefit of using manaphy. Destroying balance and BO builds where you can easily set up and put a dent in the opposing team with only 1/2 mons that can even consider revenge killing.

You can definitely argue the fact that it is because manaphy, balance has been considered more niche but I believe that is more on the fault of latios. This is most evident in the recent sample teams update, none of the teams will struggle against manaphy and has no problem vs it on paper. I’ll detail later below on why manaphy is a non factor vs any of the samples and one thing to keep in mind. There is only a single balance/BO in the entire samples.

(Listed in order by sample)
HO #1: No set up room and only notable target is gater/azumarill which both live a energy ball and do significant damage back.
HO #2: Same issue as HO #1 but instead of gater it is cloyster in this situation.
HO #3: Same story here. No set up room, everything lives and does significant damage back.
Dramag #1: Can put in work if played right vs empoleon but it’s most likely an 1 for 1 trade.
Dragmag #2: Even worse as the only change is jirachi>empo which can pivot out easily into a revenge killer.
Offense #1: No notable target outside of ttar.
Offense #2: Not doing shit here.
The only BO: Would you look at that, the only balance build that manaphy can even set up against. This build can definitely be crushed by manaphy if played right.
Stall #1: Stone walled by cm unaware clef.
Stall #2: Stone walled by cm blissey.
Stall #3: Stone walled by shed but outplayable if sand is in play.

TLDR: Manaphy does it’s best job vs balance/BO builds and you just don’t see those much if at all in the current meta. Which really doesn’t allow it to shine or be of any use in most matches.
This is a pretty good start on this argument and I'm gonna quote this while I'm giving my two cents about it
First of all, as we all probably noticed, Manaphy dropped quite a bit in usage since last time (down to a mere 11%), and the reasons are simple: while it's a great Pokèmon to use on paper, with a good deal of set variance and splashability, it can't quite get the job done in this metagame and you're just better off fielding clickers that can actually win by themselves in the current builds, like Feraligatr or Azumarill (which are also more easily fieldable), not to mention it can't deal with every comp at once (3 Atks does best against offense but loses on Stall, Sub helps certain MUs like ScarfTom or Gastro, RD cleans the Clefable BOs, and so on), not to mention there are just... better Pokémon doing the "Imma break this tier by means of my special boosting move!" (hi :gengar: and :alakazam:), not to mention the ever-present :latios: checking every possible Manaphy variant (except Salac if you Meteor it from full, I guess), and every stall team having something, from :clefable: + :blissey: (which also conveniently check every other special attacker mentioned above), to :shedinja:... all of this basically means Manaphy is dealt with in this tier, right?

Wrong.

Or to better put it, you're right... but the problem isn't that Manaphy is broken - it's not, and it doesn't need to be broken! - it's because it's unhealthy. Manaphy still represents a level of power creep this tier can't reliably handle, which is clearly showed by straight up deleting certain builds from existing (really, good luck using Slowbro in this tier), and every Balance or BO can't genuinely take shape thanks to Manaphy existing (of course, not just Manaphy), especially in higher ladder; the reason I'm mentioning this is because Manaphy actually finds more usage the higher you go, from 9% in the unfiltered stats to 11% in the 1630 ones, to almost 13% in the highest, meaning high ladder actually KNOWS that Manaphy is still a menace to be aware of, even if the difference isn't that radical.
Manaphy still hasn't changed from the start, and it's still a clear problem you need to address in the teambuilder; it's just that the tier adapted to it by virtue of having actually broken stuff floating around, namely Latios and Gengar warping the tier to extreme levels. Either way, this is still a level of power the tier should never face, so if I ever will get around and actually get reqs, I will be voting ban.

Really, this is honestly the fault of whoever thought Latios was healthy to begin with,
and if this also stays unbanned we will suffer for another month at least until Gengar gets the axe, so please

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Manaphy broke. Ban ok thanks.

In all seriousness the auto rain ban did very little to temper the prince of the sea. He’s still absolutely devastating to many many teams. While abusing hydration rest is no longer as easy, it’s still not too hard to get manaphy in on something he scares out for a setup. Manaphy’s good enough natural bulk makes getting rid of it generally pretty difficult, and while being hard to kill doesn’t make something broken on its own, manaphy’s combo of such a devastating boosting move, decent speed, and passable bulk make it far too powerful, especially in the mid/late game, where ones revenge killer might not be around. I find it similar to Dracovish in early SWSH in the way it can completely and utterly take over games if you don’t have specific counterplay. For these reason I believe manaphy deserves to be banned.

forgive my unorganized mess of a statement, I wrote this while in lunch break lol

This is a pretty good start on this argument and I'm gonna quote this while I'm giving my two cents about it
First of all, as we all probably noticed, Manaphy dropped quite a bit in usage since last time (down to a mere 11%), and the reasons are simple: while it's a great Pokèmon to use on paper, with a good deal of set variance and splashability, it can't quite get the job done in this metagame and you're just better off fielding clickers that can actually win by themselves in the current builds, like Feraligatr or Azumarill (which are also more easily fieldable), not to mention it can't deal with every comp at once (3 Atks does best against offense but loses on Stall, Sub helps certain MUs like ScarfTom or Gastro, RD cleans the Clefable BOs, and so on), not to mention there are just... better Pokémon doing the "Imma break this tier by means of my special boosting move!" (hi :gengar: and :alakazam:), not to mention the ever-present :latios: checking every possible Manaphy variant (except Salac if you Meteor it from full, I guess), and every stall team having something, from :clefable: + :blissey: (which also conveniently check every other special attacker mentioned above), to :shedinja:... all of this basically means Manaphy is dealt with in this tier, right?

Wrong.

Or to better put it, you're right... but the problem isn't that Manaphy is broken - it's not, and it doesn't need to be broken! - it's because it's unhealthy. Manaphy still represents a level of power creep this tier can't reliably handle, which is clearly showed by straight up deleting certain builds from existing (really, good luck using Slowbro in this tier), and every Balance or BO can't genuinely take shape thanks to Manaphy existing (of course, not just Manaphy), especially in higher ladder; the reason I'm mentioning this is because Manaphy actually finds more usage the higher you go, from 9% in the unfiltered stats to 11% in the 1630 ones, to almost 13% in the highest, meaning high ladder actually KNOWS that Manaphy is still a menace to be aware of, even if the difference isn't that radical.
Manaphy still hasn't changed from the start, and it's still a clear problem you need to address in the teambuilder; it's just that the tier adapted to it by virtue of having actually broken stuff floating around, namely Latios and Gengar warping the tier to extreme levels. Either way, this is still a level of power the tier should never face, so if I ever will get around and actually get reqs, I will be voting ban.

Really, this is honestly the fault of whoever thought Latios was healthy to begin with,
and if this also stays unbanned we will suffer for another month at least until Gengar gets the axe, so please
On your point about balance not being able to take shape because of manaphy, while that is absolutely true is banning a pokemon based on its ability to beat an allready struggling archetype enough of a reason? The goal of banning a pokemon is to make a teir more competative, not to make all styles viable.

On your point of usage stats, the mentioned increase in usage as ELO increases does not mean manaphy is unhealthy. Usage stats combine a great number of factors and changes in usage between all pokemon is generally expected as you change ELO filters. Just because a lower ELO uses a pokemon less than a higher ELO does not say much about that pokemon esp at such a slight difference. The difference could come from something as simple as higher ELO players dont use as many trash mons so they use better mons that are viable instead. Usage stats do not lend themselves to being interpreted into a single diffinitive conclusion with reliable accuracy.

On your point that the teir has adapted to manaphy so it is manageable but still unhealthy, is adaption to good pokemon not a natural part of metagame development?

So far you have said a lot of surface level persuasive points but I feel that a deeper level must be discussed as a better determinant of manaphy's effect on the teir.

If this post comes across as a deliberate attack on your credibility I did not mean to have it be so, only that I feel the topics you have brought up could be more deeply discussed .

DON'T BAN MANAPHY
I would like to consider all the archetypes in the current meta which is ho,bo and stall.
==>first lets see stall as we all know it easily counters Manaphy. Blissey tanks all its moves and can thunderwave it even So not much to say about this.
==>secondly its balanced .Now balanced also doesn't have any trouble the reason is simple it has both offensive power as priority usually or at least has blissey to tank its hits and slow it down with thunderwave.
==>And lastly as ho player I know you usually have to sacrifice one pokemon in order to stop this pokemon but this isn't a big loss as ho players usually know that in order to get momentum in ho usually you have to sac one or two pokemon to setup sweep. SO in this case also it isn't a big threat.
With this I cover the 3 main archetypes . This is my first post so I wanted to start it off easy with a post dealing with how every archetype can counter it.
Thank You

Ill vote Manaphy to stay in the tier.

1641913002225.png

Eve has some good points in the post above that i can definitely agree with and Manaphy in my eyes is very unique, not outclassed setup water type pokemon compared to waters like Feraligatr and Azumarill still tho its not too threatning. If the Latios vote was different then my approach on Manaphy would be different too.

Offensive teams very often run 1, 2 or even 3 threats faster than Manaphy completely shutting down or worst case simply trading against it. Latios, Gengar, LO / CB Garchomp, Thunderbolt Starmie, Togekiss all these pokemons more than often tend to trade with Manaphy and shutting down its breaking opportunities. Often u dont even need to trade, you have options like Thunder on Specs Latios, CB Outrage on Garchomp, Scarf Rotom pivoting easily forcing Manaphy to go for wack Energy Ball against a dragon or a defensive steel. Heck even sticky webs that Manaphy is supposed to shine on arent consistent and reliable at all currently. Finally Offense outside of Speed, Power and typings to pivot against manaphy also runs spdef behemoths as all in one check for the relevant special attackers including Manaphy. Roar Empoleon, Spdef Scizor, Jirachi, even Tentacruel all one way or another get value or help you play around Manaphy. Scizor Jirachi both eat the +3 atks decently well and can bring with u-turn something with safety giving you breaking and revenge killing opportunities aswell as forcing Manaphy out. Tentacruel gets up tspikes, removes hazards, hits, gets rid of items and empoleon also absorbs the attack and forces Manaphy out. Plenty of options to deal with it both offensively and defensively for a tier with such a small pool of pokemons.

Defensive teams (which btw are very viable and consistent as we see in tours and high ladder, Glace74 im lookin at you) also have adapted and found tools to deal with it. Surprisingly i find Manaphy be more threatening to offense than Defense which is weird for a Pokemon meant to wall break or even stallbreak as we have seen in other generations like ORAS and SM with its many options of skill swap, EVs & Item flexibility and Rain Dance sets. Maybe because vs offense it alteast gets 1 kill, 1 trade which is more than it currently does to defense. Calm Mind Blissey is the number one tool all defensive teams fit that specifically targets and beasts all variants of Manaphy (if u say LO ua demon).
You are able to switch hard Blissey into Manaphy, absorb the +3 hit even from modest, Calm Mind up, Heal, absorb the next +6 hit and keep boosting beating it 1v1 unless u get crit which ofc u give many opportunities for but thats how stall and balance is and then they start complaining. Other than that Balance always runs one fast threat usually something like Weavile or a Lati to revenge kill easily and stall always fits an Unaware Clefable (not quag, quag is wack) that shuts down Manaphy easily unless skill swap which is rare and random costing u coverage on manaphy. Finally if 2 of the most common tools for defense werent enough people spam Shedinja too making Manaphy an opportunity to spread status and shadowballs or shadowclaws if u like your shedinja killed by Garchomps.

Overall Manaphy looks perfectly fine to where it is atm, a balanced, strong and unique setup pokemon with different role and purpose on a team than any other pokemon.

europe.pnggreece3.pngmedicham.pngQC-Splash-small.gif

Last edited:
I'd like to view it in a different way: Are Manaphy's viable counterplays, namely checks and counters likely still viable w/o Manaphy in tier?
Counters:
CM :Blissey: : won't be seen (×)
Unaware :Clefable: : clef is too good (√)
:Mantine: : won't be seen (×)
:Shedinja: : can still be used to counter stuff like Latios and Azumarill, but I believe stall has better choices (×)

Checks (Only counting OU usage mons):
:Empoleon: : Somehow relevant still but loses one of its biggest niche (×)
:Latios: :Latias: : Still going to be relevant (√)
Scarf :Rotom-Wash: : Still going to be relevant (√)

So definitely a lot builds are present in the tier mostly because of Manaphy, but on the other side theres also quite a few builds that will still be very releavant without Manaphy. I don't personally hold an opinion on Manaphy right now but I hope it can inspire you :)

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
On your point about balance not being able to take shape because of manaphy, while that is absolutely true is banning a pokemon based on its ability to beat an allready struggling archetype enough of a reason? The goal of banning a pokemon is to make a teir more competative, not to make all styles viable.
I mean when a Pokèmon is almost singlehandedly the reason why some archetypes can't be played the situation is definitely different than "I can't use Mismagius because Gengar is better"

On your point of usage stats, the mentioned increase in usage as ELO increases does not mean manaphy is unhealthy. Usage stats combine a great number of factors and changes in usage between all pokemon is generally expected as you change ELO filters. Just because a lower ELO uses a pokemon less than a higher ELO does not say much about that pokemon esp at such a slight difference. The difference could come from something as simple as higher ELO players dont use as many trash mons so they use better mons that are viable instead. Usage stats do not lend themselves to being interpreted into a single diffinitive conclusion with reliable accuracy.
That's fair, but this is also why we have different ways to read usage stats, and it's true that on higher ladder the trash mons get filtered away but that doesn't fully explain why Manaphy is still more used than other water breakers, for instance. I fully believe Manaphy's rise as you get higher in ladder is proof of people actually finding success with it as other Pokémon didn't got a not-so-marginal (2% in the scope of 10s is a lot) increase; top5 is basically the same. Of course they can't be interpreted as X because nobody really knows what's the reason behind Manaphy's increase, but it certainly tells *something*

On your point that the teir has adapted to manaphy so it is manageable but still unhealthy, is adaption to good pokemon not a natural part of metagame development?
The metagame also developed around Scizor having 50% usage, is that okay? No. This point makes no sense whatsoever, it's fine to talk about metagame development because it sure changed from the Blaziken days through now, but nothing really changed for Manaphy, the things it can kill it still kills, the metagame just shifted towards using more brokens than Manaphy, but it can still can clean through teams to a point Stall has CM Blissey as one of the reasons for it, since UnaClef can be broken quite easily in the match (not to mention the otherwise useless Mantine); this isn't metagame development, this is a cry for help (same thing as Shadow Ball Blissey for Gengar, and you absolutely CAN'T say that is healthy or I will hotlink you at the SS Spectrier suspect before you can even type it)

So far you have said a lot of surface level persuasive points but I feel that a deeper level must be discussed as a better determinant of manaphy's effect on the teir.
feel free to add something else, then!

also echoing QY_CS' post, if a Pokémon makes weird or just otherwise useless counterplay appear out of thin air I don't think its a part of "metagame development"

My opinion on Manaphy has drastically changed from around a month ago - when I was so dead set on wanting it out of the tier. But now... I'm not so sure. The meta has developed into a more concrete shape and that shape has adapted to Manaphy far better than I anticipated. It's brought to life some of the glaring weaknesses about Manaphy that were initially overlooked.

While the gold standard set of Glow + 3 attacks has near perfect coverage, the issues comes down to 2 problems that it has to choose between: investing in either bulk or speed. Without bulk it's a easier target to pick off with faster revenge killers, most of which don't need to burden themselves with a scarf restriction since it's base 100 speed isn't that impressive against opposing offense. However if it invests in bulk and not in speed, the likiness of it's sweep being halted is much higher.

Some developments have emerged to help remedy these issues such as Wacan Berry to help patch up it's bulk issue against the common scarf Rotom Wash, offensive Starmie, and the occasional Raikou. Salac has cropped up as a means of bypassing it's speed issue and getting Manaphy into a position of full on sweeping offensive teams that would normally revenge kill it no problem, and slotting in Substitute helps to proc it more consistently. Quick Claw also fits into this boat and has seen enough experimentation to be mentioned, although I personally think that it's far too gimmicky and luck dependent to want to run it over it's other options.

Mana's move variety does have some alternative options in between the mentioned choices of Skill Swap, Sub, or manual rain + Rest for the instant heal with wake from Hydration that help it aleviate some of it's weaknesses in certain matchups. Swap forces unaware Clef to switch out and usually forces a sacrifice in order for it to come back in and restore it's ability to check Manaphy - also forcing the rare Mantine into a complete stalemate since taking it's water absorb leaves it unable to wear down Mana with Scald. Sub give additional safety for it to setup, dodges twaves and helps to proc Salac if running it. And Rest + manual rain makes wearing it down much harder - almost instawinning against stall. Unaware Clef has a hard time keeping up with this set since it not only naturally boosts it surfs, it prevents it from being twaves and also cuts off moonlight recovery. Wish protect can only stall for so long as well and will lose without CM. Any Blissey lacking CM also folds to this set, making it a nightmare in particular for many stall teams barring a Shedinja.

But the tradeaway hurts several of it's matchups in return. Cutting 1 of it's moves from it's "golden" coverage moves let's be played around far easier by a good number of mons depending on what is sacrificed. For example, cutting Eball for Skill Swap lets opposing waters, even offensive ones, come in and safley check it both defensively and offensively. Or if you cut Beam the Lati twins, Dragonite, and even Tangrowth can come in without fear and abuse it. Without Sub activating salac becomes a very delicate game of calculations and finding the perfect opportunity to get you the needed range. And Manual rain manaphy has hard time getting going against offense.

Pairing up Mana with webs or dual screens/veil are both viable options people have tried and tried again in an attempt to make the blue blob broken, but unfortunately both have been proven, for better or worse: inconsistent. Gliscor and bulky Scizor's prominence as lasting Defoggers with momentum makes keeping these up very difficult - and the common premier spinner Starmie's favorable matchup against every webber in the tier doesn't help either.

Manaphy is the definition of perfect on paper - but not in practice, as it can't do everything at once. Every player naturally goes into the builder and the battle prepared to deal with the standard varriant, and most good teams can play around it reasonably. And if the other options pop up, that means it's sacrificing on something that can be exploited - which is what usally happens. While I think Manaphy is a powerful element in the meta, I don't think it's the problem (anymore). The meta has adapted to it comfortably and isn't groaning or buckling under the weight of it being in the tier.

And to address the discourse on whether Manaphy invalidates balance or the reason as to why balance is almost dead in the meta rn, to that I say: No. While Manaphy is potent and has a favorable matchup, but is still reasonably managable for balance by itself. Manaphy is also one of the few tools balance is using to cling to life rn, since it's flexible enough to fit a team with a variety of partners and help in the fight against offense and stall alike. While it does force prep in the builder, Manaphy is not the main culprit of what's hurting balance's viability; that dishonor belongs to a certain spooky ghost that's heavily warping teambuilding and games with it's lack of answers and I hope to see investigated further after the conclusion of Manaphy's test.

It's definitely a doozy to say this after my firm stance a month prior, but for all these reasons based on my personal experience and noted trends on the ladder, I am gonna support the camp of Do Not Ban on Manaphy.

Last edited:
I mean when a Pokèmon is almost singlehandedly the reason why some archetypes can't be played the situation is definitely different than "I can't use Mismagius because Gengar is better"

That's fair, but this is also why we have different ways to read usage stats, and it's true that on higher ladder the trash mons get filtered away but that doesn't fully explain why Manaphy is still more used than other water breakers, for instance. I fully believe Manaphy's rise as you get higher in ladder is proof of people actually finding success with it as other Pokémon didn't got a not-so-marginal (2% in the scope of 10s is a lot) increase; top5 is basically the same. Of course they can't be interpreted as X because nobody really knows what's the reason behind Manaphy's increase, but it certainly tells *something*

The metagame also developed around Scizor having 50% usage, is that okay? No. This point makes no sense whatsoever, it's fine to talk about metagame development because it sure changed from the Blaziken days through now, but nothing really changed for Manaphy, the things it can kill it still kills, the metagame just shifted towards using more brokens than Manaphy, but it can still can clean through teams to a point Stall has CM Blissey as one of the reasons for it, since UnaClef can be broken quite easily in the match (not to mention the otherwise useless Mantine); this isn't metagame development, this is a cry for help (same thing as Shadow Ball Blissey for Gengar, and you absolutely CAN'T say that is healthy or I will hotlink you at the SS Spectrier suspect before you can even type it)

feel free to add something else, then!

also echoing QY_CS' post, if a Pokémon makes weird or just otherwise useless counterplay appear out of thin air I don't think its a part of "metagame development"
Ok I'll add more

I'd argue that more factors that just manaphy are preventing balance from being good. Latios likely chief among them. If balance was a reliable and good archetype and then manaphy began tearing it up then it would be a different story. Also your right that the situation of pokemon X doing pokemon Y but better, is completely different than manaphy ruining balance.

Yea I guess we look a usage stats with a fundamentally different view. The usage stats increase likely does come at least partially from good player finding success with it, but that is to be expected as we can agree Manaphy is a good mon. Usage stats do indicate something, and are great for looking at trends, and being an indicator of viability, but that something is hard to pin down and justify while taking all factors into account.

Adaption to pokemon that are centralizing like scizor and gengar is absolutely normal, and it is part of a metagame. It may not be 'ok' always but it is natural. Back in the earliest days of the meta people adapted to the clef spam by running specs psychic on Latios, and shadow ball on blis is a natural part of adaption. People will do whatever they can to better handle the meta, even if it is a reaction to an unhealthy force. The fact of the matter is that teams have adapted to better handle manaphy. Whether it is as overcentralizing force as say Keldeo in BW forcing these adaptions, or something like swampert in adv running refresh to handle toxic better, is what this suspect ideally will determine.

All in all I feel that manaphy is not as overcentralizing a force as other mons like gengar, and that the adaptions to it reflection upon it's status as a good, very viable mon, and less that it is an extreme unhealthy presence.

As of now I do not feel manaphy is exceedingly broken, but that's not to say it is not past the line in terms of metagame impact, and that I cannot be persuaded otherwise.

If you have more to add I am excited to hear it.

Blimax

https://www.youtube.com/c/Blimaxx
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Having played BDSP OU for quite some time now and after lining 3 accounts in the Top 10 of the Ladder (you can still check) I have a mixed opinion about Manaphy.
I have said multiple times in the past as well that Manaphy is the Volcarona of BDSP OU. No matter whatever you do, you have to keep a check for it when you teambuild regardless you face it or not, else its gonna sweep you at a certain point of time, similar to what Volcarona does in SS OU. You have to keep a check no matter what.
Now what does Manaphy have over Volcarona?
(1) More Bulk
(2) Immediate Pressure
(3) Less weak to hazards specially rocks
(4) No 4X weakness and surprising movepool.

Now stressing on the 4th point, Manaphy is a very unpredictable mon. There can be multiple sets running around, all are equally scary, unlike Volcarona which literally has only 2 very predictable sets.
Manaphy beats most of its checks.
You say Blissey is a check, unless Blissey is at full and has Calm Mind, every Blissey will die.
Latios/Latias is no check for Manaphy, they don't appreciate coming in and taking Ice Beams to the face. Even Specs Draco doesn't kill Bulky Manaphy.
Unaware Cleff gets destroyed by Scald Variants, they just burn you, switch out and again put pressure. Experienced players know what I am trying to say here. And If Manaphy has Skill Swap, gg Cleff.
Only reliable Manaphy check is Mantine (Shedinja is no check) but then again you are wasting a mon just to check Manaphy.
However after stating all these facts, aren't we not able to check Manaphy. I think most of can deal with Manaphy some way or the other.
But this doesn't change the fact that Manaphy is pressurizing Team Building a lot.
Is it broken though? Some say Yes! some say No!
Well that's the purpose of suspect testing it.
The BDSP Council is doing an excellent job in maintaining this meta and people are actually enjoying playing BDSP, unlike the ban everything in SS OU, the SS OU meta is not fun at all.
So s/o to the BDSP guys (Kris and Team).
I am excited to see what the result is gonna be, nor can come to a decision of what to vote having getting reqs.
This is gonna be an interesting one though my gut says its gonna be a 55-45 in favor of Manaphy to stay.

Reqs Proof -

Proof.JPG

I have played a fair bit of BSDP OU by now using a variety of teams like Webs, VoltTurn, Hyper Offense, Sun, Dragon spam, Stall etc. and after using all these teams I don't find Manaphy to be unreasonable to deal with for any of them.

Manaphy is quite a unique mon in the fact that it relies on setting up with Tail Glow and it's bulk in the land of instant powers of Choice Bands, Specs, Life Orbs and Power Boosting abilities. Coincidently all of it's Water type peers in OU have these power boosting abilities and make use of those items. Even more ironically the thing that keeps Manaphy in check imo is the fact that it needs to uturn to use Tail Glow, the very thing that makes it distinct, to start dishing out damage. It even errs on the weaker side before the boost. Even offensive mons like Latios, Weavile, Gengar can survive it's moves quite comfortably without the initial boost not to say anything about defensive mons. Now I will demonstrate how some team structures play around Manaphy, mostly restricting it to a 1 for 1 and the competition it faces from it's water peers.

1) Against Offensive teams - On an offensive team you would have around 2-3 mons faster than Manaphy and even against Offense, Manaphy needs the Tail Glow boost to get those OHKOs except very few mons like Breloom, Mamo, Infernape etc. so it will get one kill while getting chipped and then be in range for your faster mons for the rest of the game. Therefore only getting one kill at the most. And that is best case scenario, mons like Specs Latios, Scarf Breloom, Specs Gengar, Banded Chomp etc. directly switch into it and OHKO after rocks.

Starmie and to some extent Feraligatr would have performed better in this match up due to the former's blinding Speed and latter's potential Dragon Dance and more importantly, both having instant power so playing a hit and run role getting more mileage rather than going for a 1 for 1. Their bulk is not to point of Manaphy taking Specs Draco Meteors but they can still take a reasonably big hit. Azu can Belly Drum and wash away the entire offense with Aqua Jet situationally getting a 1 for 6 instead of 1 for 1.

2) Against Balance teams - Now balance is inarguable worst vs Manaphy as it is notorious for being a balance breaker. Their best option against Manaphy is Unaware Clef which very viable and useful even outside of Manaphy, SpD Emploeon or CM Blissey but even without these, balance can play around Manaphy. For example - A common core for such a team is SpD Scizor and Defensive Rotom W with a ground rocker like Gliscor, Chomp, or Donphan. Let's say you at least run 2 mons faster say Specs Lati and Band Ape on such a team. Now with this you can play around Manaphy, limiting it to 1 kill.

When Manaphy comes in you can either go to Scizor and take +3 Surf nearly dying and Uturn out into Latios and revenge or go directly into Latios do heavy damage with Draco, die to +3 Ice Beam, even if they Ice beam on the switch, you take around 50% only and still throw out Draco before dying, and Infernape outspeeds and revenges and if they save it, Sciz don't let it get kills rest of the game as it is simply too low on health to set up again. These were the best case scenario as well. If they do anything other than the moves I mentioned on the switches, then they don't get even that one kill.

This was just a little scenario, it could have been even other mons than the ones I mentioned. the sentiment is that you can either sack your defensive mon to safely go into your offensive mons while getting the necessary chip or go directly into your offensive mon to put them in range of your other offensive mons.

I am not pulling this out of nowhere, I have played a majority of my games with balance and this was the procedure that I followed and it does actually work, not just on paper, maybe players who have played this playstyle can also confirm or perhaps even shed light on a better route to follow vs Manaphy.

Again, I would personally prefer Starmie in this match up as it can 2HKO Sciz and also does better against your revenge killers. Gator also possesses instant power and the ability to set up to be faster than your offensive guys. Crawdaunt can instantly break the defensive backbone of their team with Uturn support of it's own.

3) Vs Stall - I actually got reqs with Stall because I wanted to see how much does Stall struggles with Manaphy as people were saying that Manaphy still beats Stall with Fancy tricks like Skill Swap and Rain Dance or even just Scald. I actually had the opportunity to face the Scald one and Skill Swap one when I had Unaware Clef as the answer to it and honesty, Skill Swap isn't a problem if you always keep Blissey high health so you can go to it and switch back to Clef. Keep in mind that they only will get 1 opportunity to do this as Moonblast is a solid 4HKO after Rocks and they have to Tail Glow twice and then Skill Swap to pressure Blissey on the switch. Scald is also not that much of an issue as you can just initially go to Blissey on Manaphy and start Seismic Tossing them until they Tail Glow and only then go to Clef. Doing this they are chipped down uncomfortably quickly and you can also Heal Bell Clef with Blissey against Manaphy itself next time. I have not run into Rain Dance yet and that honestly seems threatening with Moonlight being cut down but I admittedly don't know the interaction well.

Other than Unaware Clef, CM Blissey is used to answer it, asides from Crit it does the job decently well but is shaky at best because it needs to be at full. Mantine does the job very well vs all Manaphys aside from double switching with Rocks up but that prediction goes both ways.

My favorite answer is however Shedinja on Shedinja stall because no matter what, Manaphy can't take it down aside from Skill Swap and you still use the switch into Blissey, back into Shedinja tactic. People brush it away as a gimmick but it is super legit as it blanks Latios, Manaphy, Starmie, Scizor, Lucario, Breloom, Mamoswine, Azumarill, Empoleon, a lot of Garchomps, a lot of Gliscors and Magnezones, and as always it is super annoying vs Choiced mons in general. The double Defog duo of Glis and Skamory is sufficient as Hazard control and heck I heck I have even seen Rapid Spin Starmies on these builds on top of Double Defog. (I have a horrible memory of running a DragMag where only one mon could touch Shedinja and I couldn't even get up Hazards)

One more thing to note is that to run these tricks, it needs to give up on one of Energy Ball or Ice Beam, giving former up means Water types like Starmie, Rotom W, become great checks to it and giving latter up means Latios will eat it alive.

Against such a matchup, nobody would argue Crawdaunt is the King of breaking stall and would be multitudes of times better than Manaphy. Ferliagatr also does admirably well vs Stall.

(Sidenote - People don't run stall as there is a giga threat on the ladder right now with LO Modest CM Recover Psychic Shadow Ball Alakazam with enough HP to take 3 Seismic Tosses. Mans specifically built it to break Stall. It Calm Minded Twice and 2HKOed Blissey with Psychic. I watched all my boys die, took 2 of my losses.)

So that is how I think Manaphy fares against the major 3 team styles. Realistically you will lose one mon to outside of Stall but mostly not more than that. Some people raised concerns about this 1 for 1 being unhealthy but there are so many mons who can just come in and force kills like SD Chomp, Specs Latios, LO Starmie, Banded Staraptor, Band Infernape, Banded Weavile etc. All the mons I mentioned have Speed eclipsing Manaphy except Raptor which still matches him, they don't spend a turn setting up except Garchomp and all of them can come in multiple times and force multiple kills due to this. An even more insane example is Breloom who can achieve so much value even it if can't force a kill just with Spore.

I read Blimax's post above mine and he said that it exerts immediate pressure which is kind of ironic as my entire argument was that it does not posses immediate power. I get what he was trying to say was that it is immediately Pressurizing as it threatens Tail Glow and then the ability to OHKO a majority of the metagame but I feel like that one turn that it needs to set up Tail Glow is what is allowing people to hold on against it and reasonably well too. I feel this is that one instance of being unique not being a good thing. Mons nowadays are all about instantly killing with no setup and all his water type peers can attest to that. Very few mons setup nowadays and that too on switches they force like Weavile, Chomp etc. An offensive mon using it's bulk to setup and then get kills is always going to suffer being chipped down way quicker than the hit and run style of other mons, especially since it is almost requires to setup to make things happen for Manaphy. Due tot his reason, I feel like Starmie and Ferliagatr, fit my playstyle more and I would almost always get more mileage from them rather than Manaphy.

Honestly, I didn't see this suspect test coming at all and there are at least 5 more mons I personally see being more problematic than Manaphy currently and due to all the reasons I listed above, I would be voting, DO NOT BAN.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
i dont have anything to add on the argument, i'm just replying at things

I'd argue that more factors that just manaphy are preventing balance from being good. Latios likely chief among them. If balance was a reliable and good archetype and then manaphy began tearing it up then it would be a different story. Also your right that the situation of pokemon X doing pokemon Y but better, is completely different than manaphy ruining balance.
There is indeed a Gengar on the loose threatening the whole metagame and balance alongside it, but Manaphy is literally THE Balance breaker since three generations, so uhhhh.........

Adaption to pokemon that are centralizing like scizor and gengar is absolutely normal, and it is part of a metagame. It may not be 'ok' always but it is natural. Back in the earliest days of the meta people adapted to the clef spam by running specs psychic on Latios, and shadow ball on blis is a natural part of adaption. People will do whatever they can to better handle the meta, even if it is a reaction to an unhealthy force. The fact of the matter is that teams have adapted to better handle manaphy. Whether it is as overcentralizing force as say Keldeo in BW forcing these adaptions, or something like swampert in adv running refresh to handle toxic better, is what this suspect ideally will determine.
of course it's normal not wanting to lose against the biggest unholy threat we have, but if the MEASURES taken to get said threat out is to either die and TRY to rkill everytime (because its not like your team will die against <random scarfer> of the tier) or run suboptimal sets or Pokémon (no, Shadow Ball Blissey is not a good set, it's just needed for the stupid ghost and smart brain man) it tells then there's a problem with said threat. A more poignant example of this is when higher tiers get Ditto usage in it, which is a indicator that 99% of the time there's something wrong with it to the point it can only face a faster version of themself; we're not running Ditto to check Gengar, but the process is the same since we're basically forced to rkill it at any point since Plot clears everything
It's just honestly a byproduct of this mess that we're still able to somewhat comfortably deal with Manaphy, since most of the measures taken against the other big threats work on the blue ball too, but that doesn't mean Manaphy isn't still completely unhealthy, removing out of sight one archetype and almost another if not for CM Blissey and Mantine (no, Shedinja checking a Pokèmon means literally nothing since it's literally Shedinja's nature to do so)

I read Blimax's post above mine and he said that it exerts immediate pressure which is kind of ironic as my entire argument was that it does not posses immediate power.
point was that you're bound to get caught in a +3 Manaphy as soon as you see it on team preview, so of course it exerts pressure off your team as soon as it's brought in, since you KNOW the blue ball is going to click that move and kill any one in sight (at least once); thats the meaning of putting pressure on your team

My favorite answer is however Shedinja on Shedinja stall because no matter what, Manaphy can't take it down aside from Skill Swap and you still use the switch into Blissey, back into Shedinja tactic.
This is far from the first time I've seen folks making this honest mistake (and I've unfortunately also had a few sour apples rage about it on the ladder thinking something was wrong/broken with Showdown while piloting my own Shedinja team when they tried it). To help stem this bit of seemingly common misinformation: Skill Swap does not work on Shedinja - Wonder Guard is one of the few abilities completely immune to the move. Unless you're opting for Shadow Ball on your Manaphy, it's incapable of beating the bug in a 1v1. (this is a reason why Flame Body Tran, Rough Skin Chomp, or a weather setter like Ttar makes for good Mana partners)

Here's a link to Bulbapedia on Wonder Guard's properties for those who still need an official confirmation.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Guard_(Ability)
And here's also a test replay to confirm it:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1490115508

This is far from the first time I've seen folks making this honest mistake (and I've unfortunately also had a few sour apples rage about it on the ladder thinking something was wrong/broken with Showdown while piloting my own Shedinja team when they tried it). To help stem this bit of seemingly common misinformation: Skill Swap does not work on Shedinja - Wonder Guard is one of the few abilities completely immune to the move. Unless you're opting for Shadow Ball on your Manaphy, it's incapable of beating the bug in a 1v1. (this is a reason why Flame Body Tran, Rough Skin Chomp, or a weather setter like Ttar makes for good Mana partners)

Here's a link to Bulbapedia on Wonder Guard's properties for those who still need an official confirmation.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wonder_Guard_(Ability)
And here's also a test replay to confirm it:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8bdspou-1490115508
Wow you learn something new everyday, this actually makes Shedinja even better against Manaphy!

Also isn't standard Shedinja Shadow Ball, just to prevent Rough Skin Chomp? It sucks for Shedinja that Safety Goggles and others aren't in the game, it would have had a field day. But to be fair at that point Shedinja would just run Heavy Duty Boots.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Also isn't standard Shedinja Shadow Ball, just to prevent Rough Skin Chomp? It sucks for Shedinja that Safety Goggles and others aren't in the game, it would have had a field day. But to be fair at that point Shedinja would just run Heavy Duty Boots.
some of them still run sneak for obvious reasons fyi, although we're getting off thread here

Reactions: zoe
Had a thought I've held onto for awhile.

Imo this meta has been a knot ball to begin with, I've been tooting that horn for awhile and my thoughts still haven't changed. A lot of what I've been trying to say has already been spoken on either end, which I appreciate, and both sides of the argument create compelling evidence which makes the decision to ban or not ban it that much harder. In any case I believe this much is true; it's unhealthy. Manaphy simply creates too much pressure on the builder, and as much as its set variety is linear it is obviously potent and goes so far as to break archetypes. This isn't to say that these cannot be adapted to, or that it is unnatural to adapt to them, rather it is the measures of adaption which are concerning. Manaphy obviously isn't the only threat to create this pressure in the tier (as is evident), indicating that it may not be the only culprit we should look at. I wholeheartedly believe that we are not in a balanced state right now, but to pick at a knot ball you have to find a thread. It may or may not be that banning Manaphy is the first step in doing that.

Personally, I'm split between Do Not Ban and Ban sentiments. On one hand it will be interesting to see how the meta develops, yet on the other I believe that Manaphy bolsters an unhealthy meta, so it would be good to remove it. In any case I'm perfectly happy riding out the apocalypse in lower tiers. Even if I don't enjoy OU at the moment I'm sure others do. Good luck to anyone going for reqs, have fun!

I thought Blimax's and Smashburn's posts were really good - Manaphy could clearly go either way, but the underlying question both posts are really addressing is what makes a healthy meta? A good team has plans for all the main mons on the viability rankings, and some are obviously more constricting that others, and different players will disagree on which mons those are - there was recently a labour of love asking to ban Gilscor which was clearly unpopular, but to me the post was very detailed and a fair opinion and this type of discussion is healthy for a metagame.

While I won't offer an opinion on Gliscor in this post, I'd like to look at the example of SS OU as a metagame with issues. There are many complaints about SS OU being slow and dull - I think an important part of this is that Ubers is not really it's own tier. There are three mons in the A ranks and above of the SS Ubers VR that have been / are in OU, but only the offensive powerhouse Darm G has been banned, while the more traditionally defensive mons Lando-T and Ferrothorn remain in OU. To me, this is baffling and great evidence supporting the criticisms, as Uber usage stats would ban Lando-T and Ferro from OU and probably make SS OU more exciting.

Clef and Garchomp could be argued to play a similar role in BDSP. There is no formal Ubers VR yet but they are acknowledged to be two of the better mons in Ubers and remain a core part of OU. Yes, there is counterplay in each case (Clef can get taunted and overwhelmed while "just use ice moves / :Quagsire: bro" applies to Chomp), but their success at a higher level means they must be pretty good and fundamentally there is counterplay to every pokemon, even Mega Ray and Zacian C.

So this brings me back to what we want the BDSP OU meta to be. I'd ideally like it to have a diverse array of threats and playstyles, so each game feels exciting and different, but also not too many games decided on match-up - the "just right" of meta diversity. As I don't want a tier as pro-defence as SS OU, I'd vote DNB. Drizzle is what put Manaphy over the edge, as it gave it immediate power and / or made it obscenely fat with 100% healing as well as it's current tail glow sweeps, causing problems for every type of team. However, I'd also rather Scizor didn't have c.50% usage because of the main OU special threats, so do support some tiering action even if I don't think banning Manaphy is the answer. But my version of a good meta is not necessarily yours / the council's, and we should all discuss this.

For example, in the builder for BDSP I've got to consider how I beat both offense and stall, as these seem to be the two best team comps at the moment; Skarm-Bliss should be a focus as much as Latios. If we want balance to be more viable by removing Manaphy, that would also make stall better as it wouldn't have to run 2 from Bliss / Clef / Mantine / Shed just to stop our little blue friend, and I don't want that either. However, if Clef was raised to Ubers on usage with Chomp, therefore balancing a Manaphy ban for stall, then the special offense threats would need some balancing but after that it sounds like an overall better meta to me.

In conclusion, it would be great if there could be more discussion of what makes a great metagame, and so we could work towards it and be clearer on a Manaphy ban or not.

Counterpoint: The Spectrier suspect test in Sword & Shield. Sure, Blissey could use Shadow Ball to try to beat Spectrier, but... I would not consider that metagame development, only a desperate attempt to adapt to an overcentralizing threat. And to be honest, Blissey - the special wall to end all special walls - needing Calm Mind to not lose to Manaphy is something I would consider rather telling.

1642051438182.png

Evidently my run for requisites didn't go as smoothly as other people in the thread, but surprisingly none of those losses were to Manaphy. As a matter of fact, I only faced 6 Manaphys, which people allude to be unhealthy for the current metagame. Although Manaphy exerts immediate pressure with tail glow, it does need to spend a turn to become god which allows you to play around it.
Against more offensive teams Manaphy speed tier limits its potential to sweep with most offensive teams having multiple responses that outspeed Manaphy and that can reliably revenge kill such as Latios, Gengar, Garchomp, Infernape, Rotom-W, etc. Or deal enough damage that it won't get the opportunity to get out of hand, which would apply to bulkier Manaphy sets. Moreover, the tier is currently full of very strong priority users such as Scizor, Breloom, Lucario, Dnite, Infernape so if for say your fast pokemon misses out on the KO Manaphy is still not a threat. Finally, some specially defensive pokemon do take +3 attacks just fine such as Scizor and Jirachi and spdef Empoleon which can uturn to bring in something that threatens it or phase it out.

For more defensive cores, the only Manaphy that seemed problematic was a rain dance Manaphy with rest/tail glow and scald and even then I beat it with unaware clef (wish stalled lucky I didn't get burnt but thats just pkmn and started cming). CM Blissey also counters it accordingly, which like Savouras brought up, is strange for a pokemon that's meant to wall and potentially stall break and even Shedinja has made its recent appearance on numerous stall teams and allows it to spread status and chip down, hence, leaving Manaphy as pretty much dead weight on more offensive teams that encounter these fatter builds which would explain its measly 12% usage rate for a mon that's being considered as unhealthy. For these reasons, Manaphy faces competition as a premiere wall breaker from other threatening water types such as Crawdaunt and Azu who offer immediate power or to sweep.

In my opinion, a strong revenge killer, the combination of fast offensive mon + priority or even a strong defensive core do reliably check Manaphy and limit its potential. Personally, I find Manaphy to be completely balanced in the current metagame as a potential wall breaker. Perhaps we're all just oblivious to its unhealthiness due to more seemingly broken pokemon in the tier that if were to disappear would unveil Manaphy's brokeness.

But for the time being, my vote will be for Manaphy to stay in BDSP OU

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
Did I just see an argument in which Manaphy getting banned would benefit stall to a point the metagame would be slowed? Jesus christ 0 meta awareness since Stall is genuinely the olaystyle that isnt giving a damn about everything here

Not gonna lie I don't even get what's wrong with SS OU today seeing how it's genuinely pretty balanced so far and it still has a whole deal of offensive threats, all good but not that you just need to outoffense your opponent every battle, like its happening right now
If anything, banning Manaphy (and Gengar and possibly Tios) would bring out bulky offenses and balances again, while stall genuinely doesn't really give a damn about all three (you would just not be forced to use CM Blissey anymore, and the niche picks would be gone)

I still think getting Manaphy away so I don't have to think about it in the builder when I want to build any kind of offense or stall would be fantastic, as unhealthy of a Pokémon this is (I still see basically every post just discussing what it does against offense but nothing else other than "pls no ban its not broken", which shouldnt be a point at all), but the tier has more problems than just Manaphy, on that I fully agree
(and yeah, Scizor at 50% is a symptom of a bad metagame right now)

Eve

taking a break
Community Leader
This post contains my own personal opinions and isn't a council post, just something I'm writing before I head out for the day

To start off with the obvious: no, banning Manaphy will almost certainly not further Big Smog's pro-stall agenda. As we said in the original suspect post, stall is the most safeguarded playstyle against Manaphy in the entire tier as it stands, which is one of the several reasons it's such a prominent style. If you want to break stall right now, Crawdaunt does that better than Manaphy ever will. Also, to more specifically address a specific line of argument: SkarmBliss is not only not what makes stall tick in BDSP, it isn't even what makes stall tick in DPP anymore, with Clefable largely overshadowing the other pink blob. It's a decent core at best and dismantling it is not difficult in the slightest.
Biases aside; If you're actively anti-stall, you should unequivocally want Manaphy gone so that other playstyles get more breathing room, and Balance isn't forced to become Stall or Bulky Offense to exist.

I wanna talk about the general state of the tier next. Simply put, I don't think it's good. Balance has been found dead in a ditch, Stall is dominant despite having common hard-lose or extremely unfavourable matchups, and everyone else just has to resort to out-offensing the big brokens (often with other brokens) to not succumb to them trivially getting a KO, or resort to using Scizor on 50% of teams, in the case of Latios. It is pretty apparent to me that the power level of certain mons is just too high right now, and the rest of the tier is forced into the most min-maxed, polarized responses imaginable to account for this; if you're not using fast nukes, there's good odds you're using hard stall. I think Manaphy is a culprit in this, with its consistent counterplay being either: extremely fast and strong Pokemon, or extremely specially defensive Pokemon that can offset Manaphy's boosting. Both of the italicised clauses are, to me, what makes Manaphy laugh at balance's tendency towards more utility or pivot-focused speed control (including Choice Scarf users), and more catch-all defensive Pokemon that aren't tailored to handle an extremely bulky and powerful setup sweeper with a good defensive typing and perfect coverage. Both of these tend to be reasonable defenses against traditional, balanced setup sweepers and cleaners, but versus Manaphy's raw bulk, solid Speed, and power, they fall short.

That's another thing- most potent setup sweepers usually have frailty issues, damage issues in the short-term, coverage flaws, or some combination of these. Manaphy just sort of doesn't, which naturally leads it into this polarized checklist of things you're required to have in order to not autolose. Luckily, this checklist includes Latios, which is an extremely spammable fast and strong offensive threat that is strong against... everything except Stall, which can generically shrug it off like they do to most things, and Hyper Offense teams that generically out-offense it like they do to most things. I feel like there's some sort of trend with the most overbearing Pokemon and how polarizing their counterplay requirements are, and how that forces the metagame into a bad shape, but I might just be imagining things. yes this is sarcasm

To conclude: this tier needs to be de-polarized for real developments to occur, and Manaphy is one of the several culprits. If I get reqs I will almost certainly be voting ban.
To other voters: I implore you to give more consideration to Manaphy's effect on metagame health, rather than purely whether it has answers.

Have a nice day, and happy discussion!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)