np: NU Stage 3 - Riders on the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we're not relying on Lovely Kiss missing but just to point out the repercussions of it missing, Jynx is more vulnerable than most in the event of an untimely miss (a lot of even weak threats like Quagsire being able to OHKO) unlike other common sleep users such as Tangela.

Yes I understand you just made a nominal list of things slower than Jynx, that's why I looked through the top 26 and picked out Misdreavus, Cryogonal, Miltank and Vileplume too. The list of Pokemon that Jynx can come in after a kill is much longer than the list that Jynx can safely switch into which looks quite sparse.

It's this guaranteed switch in that concerns me the most because Jynx can guarantee itself a shot at Lovely Kiss.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just so everyone knows: the final suspect discussion will take place on Wednesday, May 2nd at 5:00 pm EST on #nucouncil. After that, paragraphs will be due by Friday, May 4th.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is anyone else using Exeggutor as a physical wall with Lum-Harvest-Rest? It's bloody amazing. Tanks Sawk's banded Close Combats like they're nothing, walls everything else, and is almost impossible to OHKO.

It's survived:

U-turn from a statused Swellow
U-turn from Braviary
Ice Beam from Ludicolo
Ice Beam from Gorebyss

Rest has never left Exeggutor hanging. Harvest always kicks in when I need it, even at the end of the turn, when it still cures any status. It's a top physical wall IMO, and really holds my team together. Here's the set:

Eggy @ Lum Berry
Harvest
Bold
248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

-Giga Drain
-Psychic
-Rest
-Sleep Powder

With this spread, Eggy has a Special Defense stat of 166. And it's tanking Ice Beams... 0_0

IIRC the Speed EVs are for Tangela, I can't remember exactly. I was using 252 HP / 212 Def, but I discovered a jump point at 216 Def, so I just took it out of HP.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is anyone else using Exeggutor as a physical wall with Lum-Harvest-Rest? It's bloody amazing. Tanks Sawk's banded Close Combats like they're nothing, walls everything else, and is almost impossible to OHKO.
Hell yes. I only tested it out for a while but this thing was extremely impressive during that short time. Being able to recover 100% health instantly, repeatedly and with little risk is ludicrous. Psychic typing is cool, and so is it's massive Special Attack stat.

No we're not relying on Lovely Kiss missing but just to point out the repercussions of it missing, Jynx is more vulnerable than most in the event of an untimely miss (a lot of even weak threats like Quagsire being able to OHKO) unlike other common sleep users such as Tangela.

Yes I understand you just made a nominal list of things slower than Jynx, that's why I looked through the top 26 and picked out Misdreavus, Cryogonal, Miltank and Vileplume too. The list of Pokemon that Jynx can come in after a kill is much longer than the list that Jynx can safely switch into which looks quite sparse.

It's this guaranteed switch in that concerns me the most because Jynx can guarantee itself a shot at Lovely Kiss.
You know what this discussion reminds me of? Durant's Suspect discussion a few months ago for RU. People said that Durant had checks, and that its own ability (Hustle) caused its moves to all be 80% accurate. Repurcussions of missing would be huge, but at the end of the day the Pokemon was still broken.

Jynx reminds me of Durant for that reason only. LK is like Durant's Hustle in that it is a factor in the Pokemon's brokenness. Missing isn't so harmful - many Pokemon run Focus Blast in their movepools, and Focus Blast has the same accuracy (75%) as Lovely Kiss.

Part of the Suspect Discussion also mentioned that Jynx could 2HKO/OHKO almost all of the RU tier as well.

On the subject of Harvest users, I keep getting massacred by a Tropius in RU. I wonder how well Harvest Tropius does in NU, and have considered making a team dedicated to Harvest Tropius myself.

I don't want to derail too much: Durant had access to a godly speed tier as well as Baton Pass. It was able to survive revenge killing attempts by physical sweepers due to its great defensive typing and average physical bulk. You'll find in that case the suspect had high power, good defensive typing, almost unmatched speed (outspeeding almost the entire unboosted tier and being able to take a hit from things that do outspeed it and KO them back), good boosting move, and Baton Pass. I wasn't involved in the discussions so I don't know what my preference would have been on the matter but it has quite a few notable differences to Jynx.

@Lum Eggy, I tried one briefly and it did well. The status immunity was really awesome but I felt it just lacked a bit of power offensively and I wanted a quicker (and more assured) win against stall so I moved it on unfortunately. It also faces really stiff competition from Tangela who has (arguably) a better defensive typing and Regenerator but Eggy hits harder and has much more reliable recovery as well as being able to bluff sets. It depends on your playstyle really!

Well in fairness, STAB Ice Beam eliminates it. Also common threats like Absol, Zard, Swellow and Jynx, really hurt it's viability.

Exeggutor is a good mon, it's just that you'll be hardpressed to find a team that doesn't have multiple Pokemon that can't tear through it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So we officially reached majority on the suspect votes. The results are: Jynx is banned, Heat/Damp Rock are unbanned. I'm leaving this thread open until tomorrow so that we can discuss everyone's opinion on this test. Tomorrow, there will be a new NP: thread containing the paragraphs in the op (in addition to a new surprise thread!) Jynx will also be banned on the ladder tomorrow when I can get a hold of someone to change it.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Excellent news, teambuilding should be a lot less restrictive without having to worry about Jynx at every turn.

YES ! My team is finally free from a huge threat :P

Now let's see if rain/sun are really a problem or if they remains unused.
I'm pretty curious about this, and about what can be the new huge threat (if there's already one).

just pointing this out but Gorebyss lost one of its greatest checks last night, let's see how much that affects its usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)