Metagame NP: RU Stage 1 - I Lost Something in the Hills (Indeedee-M banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katy

Banned deucer.
:dhelmise:
Dhelmise @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide / Earthquake / Synthesis
- Rapid Spin

i think dhelmise has an amazing dua-stab options in poltergeist and power whip which are both high bp moves. dhelmise can also use rock slide / earthquake for the many fire-types in the tier like charizard, ninetales and salazzle. dhelmise is an amazing check to virizion as well and with the access to poltergeist it has a much more threatening ghost-type stab and can inflict serious damage on most opposing pkmn due to the sheer strength of poltergeist and dhelmises good physical stat. i can defientely see this set in the upcoming future.

:ninetales:
Ninetales @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Scorching Sands

ninetales is one of the big winners with being able to make use of scorching sands as it can finally get rid off its counters in coloassal and tortunator. it can also inflict serious damage on salazzle with scorching sands and hit it with 4x super effective damage, so psyshock / extrasensory are kinda replaceable because most of the ru-tier will get hit by the strong fire blast and the coverage in solar beam.

:claydol:
Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Teleport
- Scorching Sands
- Toxic

claydol can also make use of scorching sands instead of earth power as a great utility mon which is also able to maintain momentum due to its access to teleport. i think scorching sands might see use on this mon as well as it is not that much weaker and also has a burn chance kinda like scald.​

So, this month's tier shifts are gonna be wild O.o

Bouffalant moved from OU to RU
Exeggutor-Alola moved from OU to RU
Lurantis moved from OU to RU
Luxray moved from OU to RU
Politoed moved from OU to RU
Sandslash-Alola moved from OU to RU

NU:
Miltank moved from OU to NU

PU:
Dedenne moved from OU to PU
Dunsparce moved from OU to PU
Emolga moved from OU to PU
Exeggutor moved from OU to PU
Golduck moved from OU to PU
Kangaskhan moved from OU to PU
Lickilicky moved from OU to PU
Lilligant moved from OU to PU
Lopunny moved from OU to PU
Lycanroc-Midnight moved from OU to PU
Marowak moved from OU to PU
Pinsir moved from OU to PU
Sandslash moved from OU to PU
Shuckle moved from OU to PU
Stoutland moved from OU to PU
Tauros moved from OU to PU
Wigglytuff moved from OU to PU

Honestly, I don't see any of the drops having a huge impact in the meta. Maybe Wigglytuff as a wish pass user?

EDIT: Also, as expected, we lost Rillaboom, but also snorlax, steelix and Coperajah. F

Last edited:
You're missing a few:

Ditto moved from UU to RU
Espeon moved from UU to RU
Heliolisk moved from UU to RU
Machamp moved from UU to RU
Ribombee moved from UU to RU
Xatu moved from UU to RU
Fuck Xatu is back, only after a month of it being gone. The rest are solid drops though, as all these mons were RU staples last gen and will do the same stuff they used to do

You're missing a few:

Ditto moved from UU to RU
Espeon moved from UU to RU
Heliolisk moved from UU to RU
Machamp moved from UU to RU
Ribombee moved from UU to RU
Xatu moved from UU to RU
I think those are drops that were already in the game. The list was only from the new mons. But yeah, those are much more significant XD
I am interested in heliolisk a lot, as we get another sun abuser/water check depending on the ability used

YO WHAT LAX WAS TAKEN?? Where’s my fire and ice resist gone? Edit: AND LIX??? Anyway I think all the uu drops are gonna have a big impact on the tier:
super fast and strong, can abuse with indeedee (who should get the ban hammer soon imo, tired of having to run a dark+lix) and gives us another big scarfer.

sun abuser, another strong, fast scarfer, and honestly is a good mon, who def doesn’t miss hidden power at all, super glad that it dropped, it’s gonna be fun.

flex on these trainers machamp flex! Absurdly strong guts breaker, good AV user, and Will fuck shit up.

surprised it took this long tbh. This mon will not just simply be webs, it can also be modest scarfer, timid specs, or lo. Looks to be fun ngl, don’t know how much I will use it tho.

fuuuck xatus back. I need an offensive rocker, wait I can use golurk lol. But fr it’s cool to have it back I guess. Did I miss it, no, but it’s back now soo

now the new mons that I think will at least have a niche in the tier:
sap sipper def will have it’s uses, and can work, but is slow asf. Above average defenses tho, def a niche at least.

specs can work, and so can TR. but I think that’s it for this guy. I would be happy if proven wrong tho.

Contrary to what people will think, I think it can also be of some use, not much, but can take advantage of vapolix vapo and uhhh rhydon? (Idk can’t believe lix is gone too) and accumulate boosts pretty easily. I used it to some success in usum, so ima try it out a bit.

gotta be honest, not to sure what Luxray can do, but it got agility, and can agility on a switch and get guts activated? It’ll hit hard, but don’t see it being used that much outside of that.

My boi is back to be an ok spinner maybe, set up spikes, dope, and set up veil with the slush rush. Idc what people say, I will always prefer having this guy set the veil with another hail user. Fast and gives support to a veil team, well worth a slot on Veil HO.

we lost the other thicc Phat mon, but got this one - yea I want lax more, but this can be of good team support with rocks, body slam paras, milk drink, and heal bell. It’s not just gonna be useless. It never was tbh

Sun will appreciate a fast abuser, but it legit only has grass moves lol. Maybe can be an ok quiver dancer? It was in BW at least. Tho I really don’t think so.

a decent hyper offense lead with SR/Spikes/Rapid Spin/Eq but that’s it. Cool it got spikes.

it does shuckle things and always will. It was only a matter of time before it died down in ou and came back.

I’m actually excited for this bull. It’s fast, strong, and can actually be of use I think. The Sheer force this bull can deliver at team preview can be terrifying, at least in my opinion. It will tear slower teams apart.

people keep staying wish and teleport, which is cool and all, and this thing has a huge hp stat, but no defenses, and I just don’t think it will be in the meta at all. It will need to wish itself a lot more than clef needs to in ou, since it doesn’t have magic guard, or a pure fairy typing. Sorry but tuff luck wiggly.

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Yo, time to talk about relevant changes for free interactions. I'm not particularly familiar with the editor on Smogon so sorry in advance for any errors.

Rises:

1593616877336.png

Personally, I never cared for it, but its niche as a pure Steel type Rocks setter was hard to underestimate, combined with the highest Attack out of all the Rocks setters (tied with Rhydon) and solid coverage let it run a Banded set that tore holes though defensive teams. It was a pretty flexible offensive mon in general. I've seen sets from SubCurse to Life Orb Sheer Force to even Occa Berry. While I can see the meta missing it considering it was A- on the pre-DLC viablity rankings, I feel other mons will fill in the role it had on teams.

1593617229785.png

LETS GO, I ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS THING. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I feel that Snorlax was constraining teambuilding too much due to its insane bulk (160/65/110, which turns into 160/130/220 against Fire and Ice type moves, both of which are common in the metagame) that gave it a great defensive presence, an Attack stat that lets it hit non-resists hard, the ability to patch up its mediocre defense with Curse and force switches on most defensive mons in the metagame due to its bulk and Curse, which is what allows it to set up in the first place, solid coverage in Body Slam and Darkest Lariat that can slowly wear down checks with Paralysis chance and ignoring defensive buffs respectively, and a typing that gave it only one weakness that has a ton of resists in the meta. That's not even mentioning the cheesy Belly Drum sets that

This would all be fine in a vacuum since Snorlax, by itself, is pretty easily to handle, but the main problem comes with the cores that it can form. VileLax in particular is one of the most annoying cores to face, both of them covering each other's weaknesses extremely well while having reliable recoveries and bulk. Often, when either I used it or I played against someone else using them, it would require an entire team effort in order to take down one of them, and it usually took a very long time to do so, making games boring and unfun to play (this is all my personal opinion btw). Or it would require a not neccasrily viable mon to handle it. Out of every Pokemon on the pre-DLC viablity rankings that's B or higher, the only ones I can see being able to deal with this core are CM Virizion, Specs Drampa, NP Ninetales with Psyshock, (maybe) Raichu-A, NP Toxicroak, a weird Sub Bulk Up Gallade set I've been tinkering with, and Malamar. Adding a bulky Water type to this core limits the mons that can deal with the core even more, and many of these wallbreakers are hard to put onto teams.

Sorry for losing track, I'm just very passionate about Snorlax. As for its impact on the meta, it was an insanely good Fire and Ice type check, and with it gone, I feel like the previously neutered Fire types will be able to rise again.

1593618646842.png

Not much to say here, anyone who's been playing the tier recently knows how popular it is and how solid of a blanket check it is to many of the tier's offensive treats due to a great defensive typing, an enormous Defense stat, and ability to set Rocks was invauable. Personally I used it on my team after Drampa rose in usage, and with it gone my team is much more susceptible to it defensively. Gonna miss it.

1593619509937.png

Despite being released midway through the month, it was such a threat in NU that it was able to outpace the second most used mon (Sandaconda) by double. As for its impact, it somehow found its way into Top 10 in usage while it was here, and while I never personally had trouble with it, its coverage + Technician + high Attack and Speed stat gave it insane wallbreaking powers. I can see UU getting bored with it since Scizor was barely able to hang onto OU usage and the most popular mons directly hinder it, but as for when it comes back? I don't know.

1593622470175.png

Easily the most impactful of the rises, Grassy Surge turned Rillaboom from a solid but underwhelming Choice user into a devastatingly unpredictable mon capable of running many sets while providing great support to its defensive teammates with Grassy Terrian's passive healing. Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Grassy Seed, Leftovers, Life Orb, even Terrian Extender (sometimes) were all viable sets and Rillaboom in general could be modified to fit all but stall teams, which aren't really viable in the meta anyway, and the tier will heavily miss its offensive and support presence. It checked a lot of bulky Waters, so I can see those being on the rise to combat the Fires that are on the rise after Snorlax's departure.

Drops:

Honestly, despite the many drops we got, very few of them will leave an impact of the tier imo. Probably a 1 in 10 ratio, but I'll only be talking about the ones I find impactful.

1593624607224.png
1593624624010.png

Both Magic Bounce Screens users from Johto are finally back after a long departure for one and a short departure for the other. Both of them have reasons to be used over the other. Espeon hits harder, is bulkier on the special side, is faster, and isn't weak to Rocks, while Xatu can viably run a physically defensive set, has a 4x resistance to Fighting types moves, is immune to Ground type moves/Sticky Web, has recovery, and can pivot. I can see Xatu being more popular overall but Espeon's niche as a more offensive MB mon is definitively there.

1593626323681.png

Very good mon imo. Grass Knot to hit Rockers and Gastrodon, dual STABs to hit everything else and bypass Substitute, and enough space for a coverage move or Volt Switch (it also gets U-Turn if you don't feel like dealing with Ground types when gaining momentum). Specs, Life Orb, and Scarf I can all see being viable offensively, and defensively an immunity to Ghost and Water moves is helpful although it's frail otherwise. It also gets Solar Power, meaning it can work on Sun teams despite a lack of boosting moves. Weaknesses to Fighting, Ground, and Fire sorta with Dry Skin sets combined with physical frailty makes it hard to switch into non-resisted moves, but overall I can see it becoming a premier offensive threat.

1593626827324.png

I honestly have no idea what to think. On paper it looks stupid; solid bulk, insane Attack stat, good coverage, access to coverage and priority to wear down checks, and is the only viable Guts user in the tier, giving it a niche to separate itself from the other Fighting types. But lots of the top tiers in the meta are very good at dealing with it in some way or another, either by stalling it out with recovery or with chip damage with Burn + U-Turn/Volt Switch/Flip Turn. It's also very slow, meaning revenge killers like Passiman and Indeedee-F can take it out with little risk (especially Indeedee, who can set up Psychic Terrian to invalidate priority). Personally I'm leaning more towards a Banded set being viable, trading being able to trade moves and needing a turn to setup with more immediate power and a extra coverage moveslot. Both sets are easily worn down though. I think it's going to hit a weird place in the meta where it's good but generally outclassed.

1593627856950.png

You know Kingler? NUBL mon that runs Sheer Force Life Orb with setup or a Scarfed set sometimes? Give it a higher speed tier, more coverage, no setup, and effectively what you get it Tauros. With Normal/Fighting/Dark moves that have very little drawback and no recoil (apart from CC), it hits the entire tier for at least netural damage while punishing switch-ins with its sheer power. I may be overrating it a bit, but with Steelix gone and a lack of Normal resists besides Rhydon and Coalossal, I can see this becoming a very good wallbreaker...at least for this month. If/when both Copperjah and Steelix come back, it might see lower usage, but for now little is stopping it from rampaging to my knowledge.

And I think those are the most relevant tier changes imo, with everything else either having a small niche or simply unviable in my eyes. Although I consider myself knowledgable of the tier, I can make mistakes and would love to see possible corrections made to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)