Metagame NP: RU Stage 15: Dog Days Are Over (Zygarde-10% stays RU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hello once again, the RU Council has decided to suspect test Zygarde-10%.

Zygarde's access to 'Thousand Arrows' gives it an incredibly spammable move that has no immunities, which makes it a nightmare for many teams to handle without resorting to very similar building structures and a specific pool of Pokemon. Zygarde's zero-drawback move combined with good attack, great speed, and solid movepool puts it right at the top of overwhelming threats to prepare for and has caused building to become increasingly restricted to an unhealthy extent. To compound this, Zygarde thrives even further in the offensive state of the meta and can quite easily take advantage of many builds due to a lacking amount of checks and counters that fit on those types of structures. All of these qualities make it an incredibly strong and consistently good Pokemon in the meta, and thus the council has determined that it is worthy of being suspect tested.

There will be no suspect ladder. Instead we will use the normal RU ladder which will remain open for the duration of the test. A message will pop up at the beginning of ladder games to indicate that the suspect is going on (Tagging Marty / Kris to implement, thank you!). Anyone who wishes to participate in this suspect test will use a newly-made alt with a suspect-specific tag to indicate that you are trying to achieve reqs. The requirements for this suspect test are the following:

• All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! RU ladder on a new alt with the following format: "RUSZ (nickname)" For example, I might register the alt RUSZ Feen to ladder with.
  • Do NOT impersonate other people in your ladder alt, do NOT use any usernames which are offensive, flame-baiting, or targeting specific users, and do NOT use usernames which could be interpreted as breaking any of the username rules on Pokemon Showdown! Failure to abide to this will result in you being barred from voting in this suspect, and potential infractions.
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play either minimum 40 games with a minimum GXE of 80 or 35 games with a minimum GXE of 82
The suspect test will last for 10 days, ending on Sunday 10th March at 23:59 EST.

/!\ NOTICE /!\
RU will not be tolerating any form of voting manipulation. Any attempt to manipulate votes can result in an infraction, loss of eligibility to vote in the current test, and loss of the Tiering Contributor badge. While we won't necessarily enforce super strict punishment, this won't be tolerated and will be handled accordingly. Voting manipulation can simply be described as attempting to get people to vote a way on the test in inappropriate manners. Bribing with teams to vote a certain way, directly messaging people to vote a certain way, publicly announcing "vote this way" all fall under voting manipulation. For more query feel free to PM me.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I personally believe Zygarde-10% is not banworthy in RU. While everyone's favorite dog is quite a strong offensive option in the metagame, solidifying itself as a consistent force over a fairly long span in the metagame, I definitely consider it to be among the group of "really good" Pokemon as opposed to something that is banworthy.

Usually, Pokemon are banned due to either a lack of counterplay or an overabundance of support they provide their teams relative to alternatives. While there are obviously some other cases and we have a tiering policy explaining it (here) in more detail, I do not think Zygarde-10% really is much of a unique case, so we can discard those prospects in this discussion unless others differ. In addition to this, we can throw away any beliefs that it might provide too much support to teams at it is clearly an offensive presence, not a supportive or defensive one. Given this, we should really be focusing on one question: does the RU metagame have sufficient counterplay, both offensively and defensively, to Zygarde-10%? My answer to this question would be an unequivocal yes, there is still sufficient counterplay to Zygarde-10%.

While losing Gligar a while back left the tier without a metagame staple that did the trick well enough, a great part of having actively played metagames is adaptability and I believe that between old and new faces, adaptation occurred to a sufficient extent. Offensively, a combination of Zygarde-10% being OHKOd by a majority of Pokemon that are on the more threatening side of the spectrum coupled with the common Scarf users handling it makes it a non-issue unless it is able to get a Dragon Dance or two off. While it is true this can be concerning, it is true that it is challenging to get a free-turn with such a frail Pokemon and it still hardly nets many OHKOs without the Z move, which it can only use once and has to time perfectly. Couple this all with the fact that the tier is not short on priority, which is all physical and quite threatening to Zygarde-10%. I do not find this grounds to ban it at all, personally -- the tier has sufficient offensive counterplay.

Defensively, however, it may be a bit less straightforward, admittedly. Upon Gligar's departure, a lot of people were worried that the slew of physically offensive Pokemon that resided in the tier would torment defensive teams, perhaps shifting the pace of the metagame. While it was true that Stakataka proved to be too much after Damanitan got one of the most convincing quickbans in recent memory, I think that the metagame settled quite nicely from there. Metagross proves to be a great addition to the metagame, having potential to be a supporter or breaker, but also finding itself oftentimes kept in check, at least at the start of games. However, I can see why people would grow concerned about the metagames ability to still respond sufficiently to Zygarde-10%.

The thing is that, going back to the aforementioned point on metagame adaptation as a form of compensation for losing Gligar, Pokemon such as Slowbro, Tangela, and briefly Torterra (although afaik, this was mainly in response to Stakataka) have become/became increasingly common. All of these Pokemon are things I would consider strong checks or full-on counters to Zygarde-10%. It is also worth noting that while Milotic is not as good as it once was, when many believed it was a top tier Pokemon, it is still a fairly common addition to teams and it can serve as a timely check as always. While this is a brief list, it does not account for numerous other answers/forms of counterplay that I am not as individually experienced with or simply did not feel like elaborating on such as: Cresselia, Porygon2, common Grass or Bug types coming in on easily predictable Thousand Arrows (this can be pretty big, too, as these Pokemon are not always easy to switch-in on themselves), most Mandibuzz, and my good friend Natalie's signature Pocket Monster, Donphan! The metagame has enough checks and counters to Zygarde-10% defensively, in my opinion.

One last thing is that I think any arguments pertaining to Thousand Arrows being potentially unhealthy are fair. However, potentially unhealthy elements need a sufficient abuser that makes them unhealthy in the context of the metagame to be banworthy or isolated in a tiering context to some extent. Given what I expanded on above, I do not deem the collective of Zygarde-10% with Thousand Arrows to be problematic. Therefore, while I acknowledge it as a strong metagame presence, I will be voting do not ban once I get reqs again.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[reqs in proper thread now that it's up]

Dog's a good mon that warps teambuilding a little bit. It's pretty frail, allows tremendous offensive counterplay, and doesn't have the individual breaking power to actually push through Cress/Tang/P2/Goli/Rhyp and co in early-midgame situations (unless it wants to click Outrage and subsequently get tossed by half the tier). I don't have a wall of text to write here (Josh already covered that ty friend), but this is probably the clearest cut no ban vote I'll be making since I voted on BW1 Dragonite nearly 7 years ago.

also phantom you missed a PERFECT opportunity to have the reqs tag be RUdogS

Last edited:
From my ladder experience as a trying-to-break-into-the-ladder person, ZyDog doesn't seem to be a problem. Thousand Arrows being spammable is its only advantage. Its frailty leaves it easily revenge killed, and physical walls like Slowbro, Mandibuzz, and Golisopod can easily switch in on any of its attacks without taking too much damage. It also needs Adamant nature to dish out real damage, leaving it outsped by Virizion and Raikou... I feel it's really decent at best, but doesn't exert too much pressure on play, and so I will be voting Do Not Ban

Got reqs with this team, have fun using it
Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Drapion @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Last edited:

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
So, I've been strongly against this potential ban for a while, and I can't say anything has changed much. Finchinator here and Nat in the previous thread largely expressed my perspective on why Zydog isn't an overly broken presence, but I still want to give my own thoughts on Zydog as a mon in this meta, with some of the pros it allows in building and how you can limit its impact, + some thoughts on the overall meta and just why I don't see this is something really worth pursuing.

So, to me Zydog didn't really change much in the past year, if at all, in what exactly you put it on a team for and what you can get in game. There was, admittedly, a small window where DD became radically threatening, as people started to blindly rely on Shaymin + Steel to cover the considered far superior CB set, which imo it still is. Gligar had a hard time covering it, but DD Zydog's trajectory as a metagame threat, to me, is largely similar to the one Barbaracle experienced: a small window where its unexpected impact as a wincon came out of nowhere and felt overwhelming, until most people started realizing that it's a threat worth prepping for. Now, again, there's the CB set that is mighty threatening, Barb doesn't have anything of the sort, on top of the best possible stab you can get since like Psychic in gen 1. Still, its impact on the meta doesn't feel very relevant to me as a setup wincon. It can do it sure, but that consistency is severely lacking.

So then, recently we've seen people come back to the CB set... To which the major change was Gligar rising, not necessarily because it walled it - it kinda didn't - but because it made Toxic threatening again to its bulky answers. The best game I played recently to provide an example of what Zydog does best would be in my ssnls series against Hurtadoo. In that game, I think I clicked Thousand Arrows only to revenge a Registeel, I clicked Toxic once to put pressure on the Slowbro, and Espeed to clean. On the latter, it was clearly a noticeable wincon from the beginning: My opponent's team is half composed of mons susceptible to the move when locked in late game. That being said, I find it hard to point this game as an example of Zydog being significantly difficult to handle, rather, I see it mostly as a reward of getting the gameplan I setup for myself to work. Hurtadoo had three really good answers to Zydog, all three great mons in their own right, so really that's where the remainder of the team comes in to facilitate that matchup. In another tour, I used the same team and faced a DD Zydog. There my own basically served as a fire check to Salazzle, safely revenging it because it's a stupid threat to my build, and that was really it. On the flip side, DD Zydog did... Well, nothing. Hazards force the defog way too much, which makes Pod very safe, and while my opponent tried to go for it, it just died to Bronzong since I knew darn well I was living anything at full. It's noticeable too that my team isn't really overly prepped for DD Zydog, but counterplay just... happens to be naturally possible.

So, what do I think of Zydog really, and why do I think it's important to keep it even if you could argue that, say, a Lycanroc probably would have had the same impact in those games? Oddly enough, Zydog to me feels extremely safe, which might be cause for concerns for some but I find quite important. I value Zydog as offensive utility extremely highly, with a good priority, threatening but fairly low powered stab, potential to go for broke if you want to turn up the aggression, and valuable flexibility in the last slot. Plus, it's a fast ground type, an extremely rare and valuable asset, and put all that together and I just think it's something that on the right team is amazing for the tier because it checks a lot of boxes that you want... But , despite the relative safety I feel having it in the back to check situations in game, you have to work for it, and yes, at times you have to take risks. Game one I threw my Virizion hard on the Houndoom because I couldn't risk Zydog, but losing Virizion could have been equally bad there when you look at its matchup against his defensive core. I just valued the Zydog route more. g2... what if I'm wrong and it's HP Ice? I lose to Salazzle that's what ig. On the other hand, my opponent there had to go for the risky route, going for broke because he was getting badly in the back with hazards and Mandi low. Nat referred to my game against KW in SPL, which is the opposite route. KW didn't want to risk the berry on Metagross - a standard counterplay really, so understandable - and also gambled on my Tangela switch to get traction back with Nidoqueen. That game is moreso a good example of how possible it is to turn back the clock on Zydog in game to me, and it's something I'm sure I alluded to. Knowing how to use Zydog means also knowing where you can just lose it stupidly, which is important but on the other hand can make you feel hesitant in game: It's definitely not "click TA and you're fine" at all.

I'm not going to go back to all the counterplay that's been quoted, again, others have done it very well. I'll reiterate though, that so much of the current counterplay is just good for multiple reasons, and one in particular is the ridiculous presence the fighting type has over this tier since the departure of Doublade and Gligar. Slowbro and Cresselia came back from the dead mostly because of that reason... But they also are superb counterplay to Zydog, in fact, they are better counterplay to Zydog than the type they are used to counter. Mandibuzz is rising because it's a pseudo fighting counter, is a good defogger by default, and also is just a good check to Zydog in general. I've seen people being upset about the Tangela usage and its perceived relation to Zydog, but honestly, Tangela is just really good in general, mon just doesn't die, has the best ability in the game, and has the utility moves you really want that makes it an annoyance to passive builds, and it's also something you can throw in on a few of the fighting types to keep them at bay. Donphan and Torterra are actually dope rock resists, Golisopod is Jesus, list goes on... Point is, most teams - even in SPL - have been using oddball picks, but it's because this meta is fricking oddball. There's a ton of exploration possible due to the relative volatility we are still in, and hardly any of it is completely linked to Zydog's presence. This isn't Stakataka forcing every single offensive team to have like a way to ohko it on every mon, counterplay to Zydog is far more rational and easy to execute, and again, isn't something you fully dedicate one slot to in building. It might happen in game but that's honestly normal. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how utterly busted fire types are in this tier and I for one don't view us losing one of the best offensive check to them as a positive when they're almost all ridiculous. Even fricking Houndoom can look like a superstar because this meta cannot check fire types to save its life. Oh and heck, have you considered running offence without a fast normal resist? Because that's also borderline impossible otherwise Linoone can 6-0 on a free turn. That's also a thing that makes Zydog actually valuable for offence otherwise we're running Scarf Meta / Ttrum on basically every team.

Sooo... yeah Zydog is amazing, one of the best tool for offence, a great mon to execute a gameplan around to win a game or make progress, and I certainly didn't want to badmouth it, I've considered it one of the top 5 valuable assets to teams since we got it really. But it really doesn't have the consistent gamebreaking impact or an absurdly high ceiling for little risk. And I for one can't help but feel that this is mostly because it's easy to pick on Zydog: It's unique unlike fightings and fires so hey it's a bit annoying to work around and it's one mon. I don't agree with that route at all and it just really plays down its utility in building with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)