Metagame np: SS DOU Stage 1: When I Grow Up | Dynamax Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is optimal. In the noban<50% case people who voted No Ban don't get a voice in the final meta between the two options. So it would be better actually to hold a secondary vote after this (either chronologically after or simultaneous, as another choice that might not be used in the case that No Ban >50%).
Yeah, that's my bad with being careless about the math. I aimed for too much simplicity. A better setting would be allowing secondary options only for no-ban voters.

But if the individual votes consists of ranks (which is the status quo), it's possible to conduct the two suspect votes at once and sidestep Arrow's Theorem with pairwise comparison. Pairwise comparison is literally perfect, when not deadlocked. But removing the option to vote no-ban sandwiches will resolve the deadlock and essentially conduct both the primary and the secondary votes in a single step.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Yeah, that's my bad with being careless about the math. I aimed for too much simplicity. A better setting would be allowing secondary options only for no-ban voters.

But if the individual votes consists of ranks (which is the status quo), it's possible to conduct the two suspect votes at once and sidestep Arrow's Theorem with pairwise comparison. Pairwise comparison is literally perfect, when not deadlocked. But removing the option to vote no-ban sandwiches will resolve the deadlock and essentially conduct both the primary and the secondary votes in a single step.
There are already people in this thread who have indicated that they would like to vote with No Ban in the middle. Tactical voting in the way you're suggesting doesn't make any sense; if you honestly feel that the other Ban option would hurt the metagame more than a lack of bans, then you can put it 3rd in your list. Once the 3rd place option is removed, everyone's preferences between the other two is all that matters anyway, so their comparative ranking is all that matters.

The voting system will stand as I explained it earlier, and will also be clarified in the OP of the voting thread when it goes up. There's not much of a point in continuing to discuss this here, so let's redirect the conversation to Dynamax and Weakness Policy and their place in the metagame.

I've played competitive Pokemon on and off for a while, but doubles has consistently been my favorite meta for years. I've played casually for most of that time, but upon hearing Dmax was being suspected, I decided it was time to finally do a suspect test and go for the requirements to vote for a major mechanic that I really have enjoyed using this generation.

I could come up with a pretty paragraph or two about why dynamax shouldn't be banned or why I'm right and you're wrong yada yada back and forth, but I'm going to keep it simple and just explain why I like using dynamax in doubles. I think what I like the most is that dynamax is special in doubles because of its' unique ability to give team buffs to the mon beside it. This creates wonderful synergy opportunities, even crazy stuff like the Cherrim + dmax Zard I used when the meta first came out, because it finally made a Pokemon I love, Cherrim, usable (although obviously not optimal). Aside from fun teams though, when my opponent dynamaxes, I'm often choosing what 1 or 2 pokemon I can afford to sacrifice for the rest of the match, or which pokemon I can encourage my opponent to target while I try to take out their mon next to the Dynamax pokemon. It's really made me step back and think about every move more fully because every turn matters. However, I've often found you can often come back from a 3-6 deficit when your opponent leads with dynamax, and I think being able to manage your resources to keep your team alive, to keep your team attacking first, or to help your team punch through a wall has become much more dynamic with the inclusion of dynamax.

That said, I have found the usage of Weakness Policy to begin to strongly resemble previous use of Beat Up. Two of the opposing Pokemon interact with each other for one to become stronger, or one bulky pokemon dynamaxes to brace for a supereffective hit that lets it become stronger. Wp can be used with dynamax or without, and while I usually am able to deal with these tactics I still find it rather braindead and annoying. I definitely think DOU would be less frustrating without these tactics involved, and as has been brought up before, why should we be second-guessing about dealing a super effective attack against a threatening foe?

So as per the runoff vote:
1) Ban WP
2) Ban nothing
3) Ban Dynamax

I am NOT very good at dou, and am fairly new so I'm fully aware that what I'm saying is likely not very relevant

While I've been playing in this format I can say I don't enjoy dynamax, however think it would make more sense to ban certain parts of it, I suggest instead of full out banning dynamax or wp, have a rule which is you cannot dynamax while holding weakness policy, I know that it may ruin some strategies however allowing some strong weakness policy pokemon to stay prevelant without it taking half the damage and the doubled attacks.

I haven’t quite gotten my reqs just yet (getting there), but I suppose its as good a time as any to give my hot take. I don’t have a ton of time to write this out, so it may be a bit sloppy

From the start of this generation, I always saw Dynamax as a fairly ridiculous concept. Like Z-Moves, I know the devs meant well with making something that let shitmons have a chance against Godmons. But that always seems to slightly fall on its face when Godmons get ahold of it lol

Small rant aside, I don’t feel Dynamax is ENTIRELY cracked in this setting, and I do feel like it is fairly fun for the most part, but I CANNOT say that this mechanic is balanced in any way. While Max Knuckle/Ooze are damage capped at 95BP and choice items being nullified, that seems like the only balancing measure they actually took with this. While you can chock most of this up to poor team building or “git gud”, never have re really seen something that can find one small crack in any squad and damn near blow you completely open before. And something like that just doesn’t seem healthy to me. 6v6 has always had an inherent team matchup issue, but this is just blown to extreme levels with Dynamax to the point where in certain situations, a player can feel neigh hopeless. Being able to just hit the Kaiju button and just live almost any attack that’d normally delete you from existence and hit back with a nuclear warhead of an attack is just mind boggling

We’ve seen the result of Beat Up in combination with this as well as the Weakness Policy. And honestly yes they are bullshit. But look at this picture. From my exp, these strats, while annoying, have never actually been super meta-defining or just immediate game-enders unless you just had a REALLY shitty matchup. But with Dynamax, these strats have gone from memes and somewhat decent plays to being complete bullshit in an instant. This was NEVER an issue pre-Dynamax, but here we are now.

So my question is how long are we going to keep ignoring the Gmax Copperajah in the stadium here? Why are we going to try to keep removing things that on their own aren’t even close to broken in order to try and keep a clearly cancerous mechanic around? I don’t want to remove a generation’s Identity-defining mechanic anymore than the next guy, but let’s look at things realistically here imo

But that’s just me. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I’m most likely going to be voting Pro-Ban

In a perfect world, we should honestly make a side ladder with Dynamax still intact considering it does get banned or the opposite if it does not. Doubt that’s on the table, but just a thought :)

Last edited:
Dynamax is a great way to counter fake out, roar, whirlwind, or trick room. You instantly receive great coverage and on top of life orb damage is immense. With landorus coming back, running defiant or competitive and dynamaxing really scares landorus/incineroar away. If we want the game to be more well balanced, we should keep dynamax so the game stays well rounded. People will have to think out of the box to make good teams. Dynamax is a great way to keep Pokemon from becoming the game of shuffling intimidates again.

Like srobbied said, Dynamax is actually a great way to counter stuff that was unnecessary safe before , and i found it pretty balance in his own way (of course the game normally revolves around using your dinamax better than the opponent one, but is the mechanic of the generation (and is the same of using your gem/z move/ mega way better than your opponent, just a new mechanic), and is not the a stupid % of the game, just a good one that you have to play around and take in consideration instead of crying because you don't want to adapt .

Weakness policy is the toxic as fuck one, in singles is pretty much balanced because u actually have to take the opponent hit so is gonna hit u hard, but in doubles is so easy to activate it yourself ,so you are boosting your atack just by receiving 5% damage , less than a life orb recoil, is not like you need the dynamax bulk , that is just a bonus

Another question of course is if someone need a ban,(Charizard ejem ejem), but that would be individual , just like megas

And this is maybe my opinion but i think than Dynamax actually makes the skilled player have a better win rate over the non skilled one, because knowing when and which pokemon dynamax and how, is skill , the same way than stalling the dynamx and pivoting, if you don't know how to do it, yeah is busted because is gonna destroy you, but if you know how, is gonna be manageable

So in conclusion : Dynamax good , counter stuff than needed a little more counter , healthy and skilled , Weakness policy unhealthy as fuck with or without Dynamax , doesn't matter how strong actually is (a lot btw),

PD1: the other unhealthy stuff is ally switch, is not as unhealthy than in vgc because you have 6 pokemons and not 4, but it just force coin flips than decides the game without any real skill involved ( is not like protect which in case you attack the protected carry you only lose one turn (which is the objetive of protect after all), here if you hit the coinflip, the opposite carry attack you and you lose)

PD2: a meta where i can get the reqs in the minimum games playing the 3 kanto initials is a good meta and i'm not gonna change my mind in that :D

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
But that’s just me. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I’m most likely going to be voting Pro-Ban
I find this odd since I have found the reason to ban absolutely non-compelling.

Does anyone have replays or something to show instances of Dynamax being broken? Every argument in favor of banning so far feels like "I do not like this thing" even though the burden of proof lies with the pro-ban camp. If Dynamax were actually broken you'd think you may see a pretty big variety in abusive mons and situations but most of the arguments are just "oh darn this really hurts matchups" without many examples, specific or otherwise. Show us! It seems pretty telling that, in this thread, there are more numerous and high-quality replays (thank you Jon) showing good interactions with max rather than bad ones.

I don't care if OU did it, I don't care about "maybe one day big Kartana will come and destroy us", I don't care about incredibly vague reasons to ban it. Just show us some specific games or states or strategies that show that Dynamax, and not something else, is the problem. This has not been sufficiently done and so I just straight up do not understand anyone's reason to ban it.

Does anyone have replays or something to show instances of Dynamax being broken? Every argument in favor of banning so far feels like "I do not like this thing" even though the burden of proof lies with the pro-ban camp. If Dynamax were actually broken you'd think you may see a pretty big variety in abusive mons and situations but most of the arguments are just "oh darn this really hurts matchups" without many examples, specific or otherwise. Show us! It seems pretty telling that, in this thread, there are more numerous and high-quality replays (thank you Jon) showing good interactions with max rather than bad ones.

I don't care if OU did it, I don't care about "maybe one day big Kartana will come and destroy us", I don't care about incredibly vague reasons to ban it. Just show us some specific games or states or strategies that show that Dynamax, and not something else, is the problem. This has not been sufficiently done and so I just straight up do not understand anyone's reason to ban it.
With all due respect, I haven’t entirely seen many super solid reasons for the mechanic not being broken. Clearly some Pokémon utilize it far better than others, but that’s just the nature of the beast. And I’m not sure where OU or Kartana came into the equation (even though Kartana sounds positively horrifying to deal with when Dynamaxed). The point I and others made is a lot of basic and formerly extremely niche things, examples being Beat Up and self-WP or WP in general, are blown to ludicrous extremes thanks to Dynamax. And we all know on their own, these strats and such aren’t anywhere close to being unreasonably hard to deal with or even worth a damn half the time.

And I’m sure we’ve all been on the ladder or in a random game where we’ve been blown wide open due to one tiny error or just one generally Bad matchup, or by Charizard just existing (ban Zard plz & thx <3 ) andthe opponent just clicking their Kaiju button and getting free kills. And I’ve done the same to others and I can’t help but feel it was pretty fucking cheap Tbh

I do find Dynamax fun. But fun doesn’t always equal healthy. And I damn sure don’t feel this mechanic is healthy without some type of limitations put on it
Frankly I feel like we should do something similar to what Uber is doing with it atm, with having a Dynamax-specific banlist. But I don’t really see that happening here anytime soon. And unfortunately our options with this is either all or nothing. So honestly atm I’d rather just go with nothing

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

I linked some replays of it being problematic in my response to his post that you've referenced, which was only two posts below. I've also made a few posts in this thread where I've done my best to explain reasons past what you've stated here, and I don't really feel like restating them, so feel free to look for those on pages 1+2. I personally am not putting *any* weight on OU's tiering decisions, and I haven't seen others doing that either.

Can somebody explain this voting system like I'm 5? Break it down barney style because how is reaching a 60% majority even going to happen ?

This voting system seems rigged that its not the amount of first place votes that will win, but it will be the second option that will always win.

So if most people want dynamax banned and put ban WP as their second option. The second option is going to win after adding votes from the third option to the second. No ban will be the majority third option thats not even a debate.

This system seems to give the exact opposite outcome of the majority. It seems like what you really want banned you should put in the number two spot.

Nevermind, me watch youtube video, got real smart

Last edited:

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
With all due respect, I haven’t entirely seen many super solid reasons for the mechanic not being broken. Clearly some Pokémon utilize it far better than others, but that’s just the nature of the beast. And I’m not sure where OU or Kartana came into the equation (even though Kartana sounds positively horrifying to deal with when Dynamaxed). The point I and others made is a lot of basic and formerly extremely niche things, examples being Beat Up and self-WP or WP in general, are blown to ludicrous extremes thanks to Dynamax. And we all know on their own, these strats and such aren’t anywhere close to being unreasonably hard to deal with or even worth a damn half the time.

And I’m sure we’ve all been on the ladder or in a random game where we’ve been blown wide open due to one tiny error or just one generally Bad matchup, or by Charizard just existing (ban Zard plz & thx <3 ) andthe opponent just clicking their Kaiju button and getting free kills. And I’ve done the same to others and I can’t help but feel it was pretty fucking cheap Tbh
Dynamax does not need to be proven "not broken", it needs to proven "broken". The burden of proof lies with the pro-ban camp.

Majorbowman certainly made a fine point about Dynamax being a common denominator in things that have become or were broken but I am not convinced that banning Dynamax is the conclusion one should make from this. Sure, it has enabled certain strategies previously stupid to become genuinely good or busted, but why should it be prioritized to preserve these formerly useless strategies over a far more in-depth mechanic? It seems safe to say that this mechanic adds more depth to gameplay, as I am not convinced matchups are across the board worsened or unfair strategies are promoted as claimed but I'll get to this later.

I think it is fair to want to ban Charizard rather than Dynamax because of how stupid Wildfire is but it takes far more suspect mons than Charizard and a friend or two to warrant banning Max, it's a much "bigger" and less intuitive ban. If you were playing ingame, which I believe should be a factor, it would look really stupid to a casual viewer that there's a giant red button that neither player ever presses or is allowed to press.

I linked some replays of it being problematic in my response to his post that you've referenced, which was only two posts below. I've also made a few posts in this thread where I've done my best to explain reasons past what you've stated here, and I don't really feel like restating them, so feel free to look for those on pages 1+2. I personally am not putting *any* weight on OU's tiering decisions, and I haven't seen others doing that either.
Allow me to explain a few bits.

You and Jake certainly expanded thoughts, but I am seeing quite a few pro-ban posts that are basically equivalent to banning for the sake of it.

I had seen your replays already but I thought they were much less convincing than those posted by Ezrael. One replay was WP Dragapult, one was Charizard, one was Durant. I'd say the first two are potentially broken and Durant is certainly not but, if Dynamax were broken, you should be saying that Durant was also broken. There are plenty of mons better than Durant. If, maybe, you were arguing Dynamax was broken at the point were Beat Up and stuff were still allowed the argument would be stronger as there are more targets but as of right now, it seems there are two at most. I believe two bans, whether it be some combination of Weakness Policy, Charizard, or Dragapult (this seems the least likely) is a more simple and intuitive ban than removing Dynamax. Ezrael's replays show more varied uses of dynamax that encourage interactive games over matchup, even though they also include arguably broken set ups like self-proc WP Dragapult. Basically, every win/loss in every replay linked was about as deserved as Pokemon in the past has allowed so I don't believe that any replay I've watched has suggested Dynamax was the problem.

So if a small number of bans, at this point in the meta, were all that was necessary that would suggest that there were no reason to currently ban Dynamax, as it seems fairly stable with the bans that have already been made. It is possible that as the dex expands a largely number of mons may be able to promote uncompetitive strategies that take advantage of maxing later, but that's all hypothetical and you can always decide to ban at that point.

Last edited:

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it mentioned somewhere this was happening and couldn't help but poke my head in to read some of the reasoning. Wanted to quickly reply to this:
From the start of this generation, I always saw Dynamax as a fairly ridiculous concept. Like Z-Moves, I know the devs meant well with making something that let shitmons have a chance against Godmons. But that always seems to slightly fall on its face when Godmons get ahold of it lol
This is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of Dynamax as a mechanic. Dynamax is a mechanic available to every Pokémon in the game (aside from a select few). The primarily purpose is not about making worse Pokémon better. You can only do that by giving boosts to certain Pokémon -- so Mega Evolution, the signature Z-Moves, and now Gigantamax. So what does Dynamax do?

Dynamax is the first generation-defining mechanic that Game Freak has added in the last 6 or so years which adds competitive depth to the game. It's a mechanic that leads to a better player being able to showcase that they are better more often than not. This is because it adds several opportunities for meaningful decision-making both before and during the match. It's a mechanic that can be used offensively or defensively depending on the situation. It's an additional factor to consider when choosing your four moves. You need to think more about which Pokémon you have on the field to best take advantage of secondary effects. You have to think about timing and choice of 'mon to Dynamax in a dynamic fashion. It's everything that Mega Evolutions weren't. I don't think that "I don't want to learn to effectively use this mechanic" is a very strong stance to take.

And yeah, when I saw the first video of Dynamax I had the same "Ugh why would you make us go through a new Megas / Z-Moves no no no" reaction. I've been happy to be proven wrong so far.

So it mentioned somewhere this was happening and couldn't help but poke my head in to read some of the reasoning. Wanted to quickly reply to this:This is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of Dynamax as a mechanic. Dynamax is a mechanic available to every Pokémon in the game (aside from a select few). The primarily purpose is not about making worse Pokémon better. You can only do that by giving boosts to certain Pokémon -- so Mega Evolution, the signature Z-Moves, and now Gigantamax. So what does Dynamax do?

Dynamax is the first generation-defining mechanic that Game Freak has added in the last 6 or so years which adds competitive depth to the game. It's a mechanic that leads to a better player being able to showcase that they are better more often than not. This is because it adds several opportunities for meaningful decision-making both before and during the match. It's a mechanic that can be used offensively or defensively depending on the situation. It's an additional factor to consider when choosing your four moves. You need to think more about which Pokémon you have on the field to best take advantage of secondary effects. You have to think about timing and choice of 'mon to Dynamax in a dynamic fashion. It's everything that Mega Evolutions weren't. I don't think that "I don't want to learn to effectively use this mechanic" is a very strong stance to take.

And yeah, when I saw the first video of Dynamax I had the same "Ugh why would you make us go through a new Megas / Z-Moves no no no" reaction. I've been happy to be proven wrong so far.
Its not a fact that I “don’t want to learn to effectively use this mechanic”, and I’m not denying that it allows the better player to shine a bit more than usual. The problem imo comes with the implementation of this. I’ve played plenty with it in this format as well as vgc and the online battle stadium. From what I’ve personally experienced, it just seems to break a lot of matchups in ways that are sometimes near impossible to come back from. Some strategies are neigh-brainless with this on top of being unnecessarily difficult to stop or effectively play around. On top of some specific Pokemon mentioned a few times previously being completely ludicrous thanks to this mechanic.

And I’ll admit my fault about “making worse Pokémon better”, but that’s seemingly been their mission for the last 6 years and this to me seemed no different.

Anyways, that’s just my view on things

Well i haven't played much this gen , so maybe i don't have the full view of this situation, but what strategies are neigh-brainless or imposible to play around without weakness policy involved? (besides CHAR and not other one, destroying everything), because for me it was the other way around, thanks to dinamax, games were actually more skill involved

Pd: taking a "good" decision, is not always a good move, you have to take the BEST decision every turn, not just a good one, and yeah dinamax like happens in a lot of ubers metas, tend to punish that more because as long as your opponent is playing perfect you have no chance to come back of your not perfect play, but i don think thats bad tbh, like we said in HS , if i have a 100% win route and a 95% one and i choose the 95% one i deserve to be haxed and lose

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I don't have any particular brief to carry regarding this suspect; I'm personally inclined to do no ban > WP ban > Dynamax ban, but I could flip no ban and WP ban. I'd like to offer some thoughts about Dynamax though, which perhaps some people could find useful.

Unlike suspects in previous generations, where I was laddering for the most part without exposure to the suspected Pokemon at hand, in this suspect I was able to experience all of my opponents taking advantage of Dynamax. So unlike a Marshadow suspect test where I would see the Pokemon maybe 2-5 times in 45 games, I was able to experience opponents from a wide variety of skill levels using the suspected element at hand. Some of the things I was looking for included:
  • Did the impact of Dynamax influence my losses against players I thought were less skilled than me?
  • Did the impact of Dynamax influence my wins against players I thought were more skilled than me?
I would answer both of these questions negatively. In the losses I took, I think the majority came down to play, with a couple seeming to heavily depend more on luck elements (though I could just be biased) and one due to incorrect mechanics on the simulator. I played against several opponents I would consider to be very intelligent, like Nails, and I don't feel like a negative influence of Dynamax was impacting the result of the game.

Dynamax seems to be used in three different ways, so far as I can tell:
  1. Trying to get a snowball at the start of the match; attempting to punch holes in the opponents team to limit resources in the mid and lategame.
  2. Reacting to an opponent's Dynamax to maintain a neutral board position; using additional bulk to leverage an exchange of Max Moves that results in either player not gaining too much.
  3. Preserving for a lategame cleanup against a weakened team, where the opponent has limited resources to be able to handle a lategame Dynamax.
I think there is far too much emphasis on 1) as being a problematic influence on the metagame. Opening with early Dynamax may seem initially appealing, but it is often a dangerous thing to do, since the opponent generally has more HP and has more options to maneuver with Protect and switches. It also obligates that you maintain consistent pressure on the opponent; if you lose a Dynamax after just a couple hits, you're going to be in big trouble. I do find 1) to be frustrating sometimes in VGC, because there losing a Pokemon is losing a much greater % of your team, which forces a midgame and endgame sooner. But in Doubles, I quite frankly don't have that same issue, because I have more flexibility simply by having additional Pokemon. This brings me to another point:
  • Certain Pokemon depend on being dedicated Dynamax users to be most effective on their team, and some Pokemon are very obviously not going to Dynamax in most games
Pokemon like Charizard, Durant, Lapras, Dragapult, Rhyperior, and others depend much more heavily on their ability to Dynamax to be successful. If you opt to Dynamax another Pokemon on your team, these Pokemon are typically significantly worse off, which forces your hand to prefer Dynamaxing those Pokemon. But that comes at the cost of being limited at Team Preview. Unlike in VGC, where I am not obligated to bring my "dedicated Dynamax user" every game, in Doubles, you are, and there's a significant opportunity cost in not Dynamaxed them. It's like bringing double Mega stones with Kang and Tyranitar in Gen 6; your Tyranitar is simply inherently worse off if you Dynamax the Kang. The trouble with these dedicated Dynamax targets in DOU is that you very rarely have option 2) available to you, to Dynamax reactively to your opponent (and most of the time you're using them to try to accomplish 1) ). Your opponent also knows it and can prepare their gameplan accordingly.

Similarly, though this is more obvious, Pokemon like Incineroar, Dusclops, and Gothitelle are not good Dynamax users. The point of this is that the options for the opponent's Dynamax are more limited. Within a good team, having multiple potential Dynamax users is important. Simultaneously, however, your opponent cannot Dynamax all of their Pokemon. I think it is healthy for the game to ask "if x Dynamaxes, these others can't; how can I take advantage of that?", etc.

It seems to me that Dynamax generally has the following weaknesses:
  • Stat drop cycling
  • Status
  • Preferring to have a lot of HP when Dynamaxing (maxing a mon post-Focus Sash or a WP boosted mon at 30% doesn't tend to work out well)
  • Pressuring unfavorable damage trades (I kill your Dynamax without my own)
  • Speed control (for very hyper offense Dynamaxed Pokemon)
  • Opposing Dynamax (doesn't really count for the purposes of this suspect imo)
In addition to particular weaknesses relevant to the specific Pokemon.

With respect to Weakness Policy: I think if you have a healthy Weakness Policy Dynamaxed Pokemon, like Dragapult or Necrozma, they are very, very difficult to stop. I also find it more challenging to deal with Weakness Policy + Dynamax in Doubles OU than in VGC. In VGC, your opponent is locked into their team throughout a best-of-three set, and once you find the Weakness Policy, that's the only one they can have. In Doubles OU, there are multiple viable items that Pokemon like Tyranitar, Melmetal, Excadrill, etc. can use, and you typically have much more limited means of discovering it since you're not team locked. While you can't Dynamax multiple Weakness Policy Pokemon, it's moreso that if you happen to get a Weakness Policy boost, then you can max that. I am not particularly impressed by side-procing Weakness Policy, as it seems to obligate a commitment to 1) in your style of Dynamaxing or else risk not being able to pivot to the proper board position in the mid or lategame (an example that comes to mind is this game from SPL). It is good, but I don't find it to be the sort of "omg if it happens I can never lose" sort of strategy I sometimes see advocated. I'm not convinced it is so good that it necessitates a ban, but certainly if I were to pick between Weakness Policy and Dynamax itself, I'd pick banning Weakness Policy.

Finally, and this is really getting out into the weeds here, but I have noticed a general trend of Doubles OU players who also frequently play VGC saying Dynamax is fine, while players who play DOU more exclusively tend to be pro-ban. I personally think this is because VGC players have been forced to learn how to deal with Dynamax in a way DOU players haven't. I remember at my first few live tournaments for VGC that I felt Dynamax was pretty overwhelming; I didn't really know how to push my advantage while I had it, and I didn't know how to beat the opponent's. I felt as if I was forced to learn how to deal with it, since for VGC, there was a 0% chance Dynamax was not being allowed. That was the new normal, so if you didn't learn how to deal with it, you simply just won't do well. After additional experience, I feel like Dynamax is perfectly fine in VGC, and that it's even more reasonably balanced in Doubles OU simply by merit of having more Pokemon. I don't mean to imply that Doubles OU mains are lazy or incapable of utilizing counterplay, or that top Doubles OU players can't reasonably come to the conclusion that Dynamax is broken from experience or other reasons. However, I do think Dynamaxing adds a new, healthy, competitively rich depth to the game that players looking to replicate success in older generations in identical ways would prefer to do without. They just don't like having to learn this additional fundamental mechanic, and would prefer it be like it was before. This paragraph shouldn't influence whether or not you think Dynamax is broken, and it isn't a reason for or against banning it, but it's simply an observation.

Last edited:
Welp, I tried to get the voting requirements but ultimately failed on two different accounts. On my first account, I got to nearly 80% GXE when I then lost a game due to getting double Rock Slide flinched, and shit pretty much hit the fan after that. (Man, I got pissed.) I never even got close on my second account.

I'm glad that there's now the option to vote for Weakness Policy ban, which I probably would've done if I got the requirements.

Also, here's one of my ladder games that had a stupid ending: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1090565718

Ladder was too dead for me to actually reach the 45 games:
1586165599545.png

So I'll just post what I found in this thread.
In Doubles OU gaining momentum relies on a whole lot of different strategies compared to singles. Fake out, tailwind, paralysis, quash, all strategies to try and outspeed your opponent to gain momentum. Dynamax ruins this in several ways: fake out flinches do not work, max airstream raises speed of *both* opponents, and especially due to the way speed works in gen 8, that tips the scales quite a lot. Second, dynamax provides additional bulk that allows your opponent to tank hits they normally could not have, rendering paralysis/tailwind/quash for momentum useless as well. That brings you to the point where all the metagame revolves around is dynamaxing at the correct time to tear a hole in the opponent's team to the point where they can not recover.

So why do I think Dynamax is the problem instead of weakness policy? First of all because I did not use weakness policy on my laddering team, and I always found that Dynamax was tipping the scales to a ridiculous extent. Setting weather, boosting offensive stats of both my pokemon or boosting the defensive stats of both to ensure they could tank another hit. Secondly, because whenever I encountered a weakness policy mon, it was *always* the one to Dynamax, while not all Dynamaxed opponents were carrying WP. If WP needs Dynamax to work, but Dynamax works without WP, it is clear that Dynamax is the broken one. Finally, what I encountered most was either Dynamax Melmetal with WP (because Melmetal itself is also broken) or Tyranitar with WP coupled with Excadrill. While both threats are dangerous, I feel that Dynamax is the thing that ultimately breaks it. Melmetal's Max Steelspike boosts its already astronomical defense and Dynamax adds to its enormous HP stat. This allows it to not only live the hit that triggers WP, but also take additional attacks while Dynamaxed.

Dynamax is so ridiculously strong that it doesn't require any of the tactics normally used in Doubles OU to gain or maintain momentum. It is immune to some of the most common counters to threats, and is overcentralising. Weakness policy without dynamax is still dangerous, but much more manageable without Dynamax.

Edit: the team I used in case anyone is wondering: https://pokepast.es/42d7defa5d3867a3

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With at least 30 of 58 possible votes at the time of this post, Dynamax has crossed the 50% threshold and the remaining votes cannot change the result of the suspect.

Dynamax is now banned from SS Doubles OU.

If this is either your 4th vote in Doubles OU or 10th vote across all tiers, please PM me and talkingtree with links to all of your votes so we can nominate you for Tiering Contributor.

Thanks to all who participated in the suspect, whether it be qualifying to vote or posting your thoughts in this thread. Your contributions to the conversation and the suspect process are important!

Maybe if Dynamax didn't give both the user and its teammate stat boosts, or if the strongest Pokemon that could use it were low-BST ones like Thievul and Morpeko, then maybe I could consider it healthy.

Anyway, I've been playing the post-DMax ban meta a fair amount over the last week, and boy has it felt like a much-needed breath of fresh air so far. GMax Charizard is nowhere to be seen (Hallelujah!), Melmetal can't just pile on a plethora of stat boosts anymore, and Dragapult... well, I've never really had much trouble with it myself, but nice to know it can't DMax and torture anyone else anymore. And I think it's just as well DMax got banned when it did, because Volcarona, Metagross, Garchomp, the Kami trio, and the Tapus are coming out later this year and would all become pure nightmare fodder if they could use it. As for WP, it seems to have done exactly what we all said it would do if DMax got banned, and I hardly see it much at all now. I won't say the new metagame is perfect; Melmetal is still ridiculous (albeit more manageable) and weather spam is nearly reaching a fever pitch even without any standout DMax mons, and I'm not going to ask anyone to hurry up with an effort to unban Beat Up, but on the whole, I enjoy it a lot more than I did the pre-DMax one so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)