np: SS UU Stage 8.4 - Spellbound (Aegislash Unbanned, Victini Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
happy 1k to me

Hi again everyone, we're back with yet another suspect test. Following Terrakion's departure to UUBL, we believe that there is still plenty of optimisation to be done in the metagame, and since we have some downtime we believe it's finally time to revisit Aegislash.

Aegislash is obviously an extremely potent Pokemon, having been banned from UU twice now and also being banned to Ubers for two generations straight, and one glance at its stats make it pretty clear why. With its great bulk and great offenses depending on form, it's one of the hardest-hitting wallbreakers UU has ever seen, and it has some pretty solid defensive utility too. Its typing is unique to it and gives it great immunities to Normal, Fighting and Poison, while also giving it handy resistances to Fairy, Grass, Dragon, and Rock. Sword and Shield also gifted Aegislash with the best coverage move it could ask for in Close Combat, meaning that even very bulky Dark-types like Umbreon and Incineroar aren't truly save against it. So why are we retesting it?

Well, Aegislash was banned pretty narrowly in a council vote. The community survey results also showed that people would be fairly willing for a retest to occur. While it's true that Aegislash does not have a single true counter, UU is in a position where stacking many checks to it such as Kommo-o, Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Krookodile, Nidoqueen, Zeraora, Mamoswine, Galarian Moltres, Chandelure, and Keldeo is much easier than it used to be, and there are plenty of others, too. In addition to this, there are many unexplored forms of counterplay that we believe could resurge and prosper to handle not only Aegislash but other Pokemon too; an example is MIlotic being quite useful against Aegislash, Kommo-o, and Krookodile, or Incineroar being excellent against Aegislash, Amoonguss, and Slowking. Aegislash also has many flaws; its typing is a double-edged sword (ha), leaving it weak to common attacks like Knock Off and Earthquake, and its good bulk is marred by its vulnerability to all forms of entry hazards and its relatively low Speed.

Aegislash is of course extremely lethal, but it seems entirely possible that it won't dominate games the way it used to. While much of the council is unsure about whether or not they would vote to free it, we felt that it was a good idea to run this test for formality's sake if nothing else, and many of us believe that Aegislash can find a healthy home in UU.

The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE is fine.

GXEminimum games

Other than that, the test will operate as always. There will be no suspect ladder. Instead, the standard UU ladder will remain open. Those who wish to participate in this suspect test will instead use a fresh, suspect-specific alt. All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! UU ladder on a fresh alt with the following format: "UU8A (Nick)." For example, I might register the alt UU8A Lily to ladder with. You must meet the listed format in order to qualify.

Participants will have until Sunday, March 21st at 8:59 PM GMT -5 to meet voting requirements and post in the Alt Identification Thread. PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR CONFIRMED SUSPECT RESULTS HERE - there is a dedicated thread for identifying your suspect results. Happy laddering!

Last edited:

Lily

is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
We also have another announcement.

:ss/victini:
The UU council has unanimously opted to quickban Victini from SS UU.
While this may come as a surprise to many, Victini's prowess is pretty much unmatched within the tier. It's impossible to punish its incredibly potent moves, as all forms of counterplay are blown away by specific coverage or simply cannot stand up to repeated attacks or U-turns; for example, Slowking is Victini's best (and pretty much only) form of counterplay on balance, but even that is 2HKOd by a Bolt Strike or Thunder, while fringe options like Milotic can suffer the same fate. Pokemon such as Incineroar are easily outlasted over the course of a game because of Victini's resilience to entry hazards via Heavy-Duty Boots. Victini's incredible power and versatility are not the only reasons for this decision, though; we recently banned Latias and Terrakion, two Pokemon that were largely responsible for keeping Victini in check, and we are set to lose Slowking in the April shifts - while we do not tier based on the future, it is something to be considered, and it was one of the many nails put in Victini's coffin.

We will be retesting Victini at a later date. We're unsure when this will be; potentially after the April shifts, potentially later - it depends on the state of the meta at the time, but we feel this is the best course of action for UU right now. Rest assured that this isn't the final word for Victini (unless OU opts to steal it!).

Tagging Marty - please remove Victini from the UU ladder and add Aegislash in its place, thank you!! Best of luck to everyone laddering for the Aegislash retest!

LNumbers

When it's all been said and done, I'm still my #1
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why retesting Aegi is bullshit
The only reason to unban or even consider to restest aegi was to have a more solid switchin vs rak in terms of its STABS. Now that rak is gone, it provides 0 value as a (more or less) defensive short-term answer to the metagame´s most prominent threats. In other words, it doesn´t do sth different than the other mons in terms of being a check. Moreover, it´s presence will be obnoxious. I mean, we have discussed this here and there before, but you really can´t get past the grasses in this metagame and sets like subtox aegi completely destroy them. More importantly, we already have other mons who can take advantage of them easily, so it´s NOT needed.

Moving on to the real problems
Aegi is very versatile meaning it can almost run anything: Band, Specs, Mixed Spell Tag , SubTox, SD, ... the list goes on. Each of those sets had around 1-2 checks in the previous metagame while the mixed spell tag one had basically none. But what has changed? Well, hippo and hydrei are gone... yep. Hippo. And. Hydreigon. Two of the mons that were able to pivot into aegi on certain (!!) moves, so they weren´t guaranteed checks either. Without hippo in the tier, sets like sd or band will get more usage than before and we still haven´t talked about the specs or mixed spell tag sets. It´s just gonna be an issue to figure out which set it´s gonna run and play around it on top of that. It´ll probably be the most antimeta mon in the tier should it get unbanned. This is just ridiculous after several people told me that tini would be broken due to its versatility which isn´t wrong per se, especially when taking into account that slowking will leave soon. Quickbanning tini is probably a good step to take for the long term, but potentially allowing aegi back into the tier can set the tier back from its ideal state.

I sincerely believe that aegi brings more problems to the tier rather than solving existing ones, which is the same opinion I had when it was previously uu. The difference now is that we've lost mons like hydreigon and hippo that helped keeping it in check before, and we have access to less tools than we did before.

re: Victini :Victini: - While I think quickbans are terrible for the environment, if it was truly unanimous then can't really argue - it would have been banned on a suspect anyways if that was the case so this just saves time.

re: Aegislash re-test :Aegislash: - I have no problem with this, I think it's always good to re-test banned mons to see how they live up to the current meta. If it is truly still broken, it will get banned anyways, and if the council allowed it to get re-tested then that means at least somebody believes there's a chance it may be ok. So, I'll be giving it a chance and seeing how it plays out. I will reserve opinions on whether or not it's ok until after getting reqs.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
I see a lot of people upset about the mere presence of a suspect test. Why? Aegislash was not unbanned, there was majority public opinion supporting a re-test, and it was previously quickbanned months ago by a narrow margin after a second vote. If Aegislash is truly broken, then it will be banned a significant margin by the public. Problem solved. The only thing you lose are 2 weeks of ladder which everyone hates anyway.

As for Aegislash itself, I am happy to see it finally get tested. I think once people get past the "holy crap, Aegislash en UU?" phase they will see it isn't that bad. I cannot comprehend anyone can make their full opinion before Aegislash is even allowed on ladder. At least give it its fair trial before calling this test a mistake

Lily

UU Leader
Quick rectification because I'm dumb: the suspect prefix is supposed to be UU8A, not UU9A. If you've already started laddering under a UU9A alt then feel free to keep using it, my bad.

Also please keep the one liners to a minimum. There have been like 5 already and I don't want to have to clear them out anymore, use Discord if you'd like to have a conversation. Will make a further post on my thoughts on Aegislash soon enough, but I'd appreciate if people would at least, you know, try the Aegislash ladder before saying it'll be broken. We are not the same tier we were 4 months ago and you're silly if you think you can say that Aegislash will be broken based on theorymonning alone.

ramolost

parfum quartier
I see a lot of people upset about the mere presence of a suspect test. Why? Aegislash was not unbanned, there was majority public opinion supporting a re-test, and it was previously quickbanned months ago by a narrow margin after a second vote. If Aegislash is truly broken, then it will be banned a significant margin by the public. Problem solved. The only thing you lose are 2 weeks of ladder which everyone hates anyway.

As for Aegislash itself, I am happy to see it finally get tested. I think once people get past the "holy crap, Aegislash en UU?" phase they will see it isn't that bad. I cannot comprehend anyone can make their full opinion before Aegislash is even allowed on ladder. At least give it its fair trial before calling this test a mistake

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I think this is a really interesting set of decisions, it's always more fun when stuff is happening and people are arguing LOL so let's see... The Victini quickban, with the knowledge that Slowking is extremely likely to rise seems very fair, I haven't really seen much defending of it compared to the bashing it's been getting from all quarters recently. Hardly an exact science, but at least it'll be getting retested down the stretch at some point so we can give it a fair chance.

I said this a couple of times on Discord, but the most surprising thing to me about the Aegislash retest is that there wasn't time given to see how the metagame would develop in the wake of the Victini ban. I think it changes a lot of dynamics within teambuilding and seeing those play out might have given the chance to make this decision from a more informed position. Testing it after Terrak has been banned does seem weird but a lot of the good counterplay to Aegi is a LOT easier to fit as a result of banning Terrak, so that could definitely help it's case for staying. I'm actually really looking forward to building some teams and seeing how this all plays out, well up til I inevitably play screens HO 1/3 games anyway!

1615247671020.png

I heavily disagree with the decision to quickban Victini. There was no room or opportunity for the community to discuss and give input on this, and it seems very brash to quickban something immediately after we have just finished a suspect test.

In the future, I hope to see quickbans reserved for things that are obviously and unanimously agreed upon to be broken (I.e., Marshadow in gen 7 OU), rather than Pokemon that only suspect worthy.

I'm sure the council has their reasoning for taking this approach, but it does not sit well with me.

Edit: Please also read Kitten Milk's post on this. Sums up my thoughts nicely.

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Given that the council is actively trying to look for ways to improve the quality of the tier and gauge player opinion on it, it'd be awesome if we could cut down the number of meaningless posts and memes, especially after Lily posted about it. I know it's all meant for fun but just post it on discord and actually add meaningful discussion to the thread please.

I'm also not sure why some people are getting so upset about this decision. Victini being problematic is nothing new and the community seemed to think this when we put out our last survey. I can understand some resentment over not letting the meta settle, but when we were talking about testing it this morning, TDK brought up a good point:
TDK Today at 11:00 AM
i dont rly think testing is the best choice
because if slowking dips i think peoples opinions will change a lot
so if it doesnt get banned
and slowking dips
r we just gonna qb?
if so
whats the pt of testing it

Although I was originally against a quickban despite everyone on council thinking Victini was unhealthy, the more we talked about it, the more okay it seemed. I highly doubt that Terrakion leaving is somehow supposed to make Victini more bearable, and if we can retest it after shifts in a few weeks and the majority of the playerbase found it problematic *with* Terrakion in the tier, why the outcry? Especially if Slowking, the most consistent answer to it which gets 2HKOed by coverage, ends up leaving.

As for the Aegi retest, I was also originally against this and I absolutely think it's still broken on paper. This is a RETEST though, not us freeing it. Go have fun and ladder in a fresh meta for 2 weeks. If it's as broken as most, including myself, think it is, then put your trust in the playerbase that it will get banned. It won't affect UUPL. It won't affect UU open. It was a very close council vote (including very experienced and knowledgeable people like Hogg, TDK, and Tony voting DNB at the time) that was talked about multiple times and also got decent traction from the playerbase. The meta is completely different now than it was back then. If it's broken, it'll be banned.

I hope to see some more helpful and interesting discussion after this. We're constantly looking for feedback and staying in touch with our community, so please share your thoughts and test out the ladder!

edit: for clarification on the post below, I wouldn't read into this:
(Now on to the first point: to begin, according to the UU survey, pre the terrakion ban 50% of the council voted for victini to be banned, and 50% voted against it. According to Lily in the post above, that has now shifted to 100%. This is definitely a dramatic shift -- and given that the only thing that's changed is that Terrakion was banned, I can only assume that the justification for the 50% of council members whose votes changed was contingent on that shift.)
how it's stated. I voted for a Terrakion suspect > a Victini suspect and I believe others did as well, and that's why it was around a 50/50 split on Victini; not because we'd be against it being banned (I wouldn't have), just that we didn't think it was the correct first step in the meta. Hope that clarifies at least a bit.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I'd like to throw my two cents in wrt the Victini quickban as well -- I'm strongly opposed to it, largely due to two factors: first, the justification for a quickban seems arbitrary, self-contradictory, and not in line with the way tiering has happened for other threats. secondly, the decision to quickban victini is extremely out of line with the overall opinion of the tier and its players.

I'm going to start with the second point, because I think it's the most objective and obvious. On the community surveys sent out a few weeks ago, a whopping .7% of the community voted to quickban victini. Not 7%, .7%. Another 20% or so were strongly in favor of a suspect, and the other 80% of the playerbase was either actively against a suspect test (and a ban), or interested in a suspect at some point in the future but not clearly in favor of a ban.

In fairness -- the meta has changed since that survey. Terrakion isn't here anymore -- and while Terrakion definitely was a strong offensive check to the vast majority of victini sets, I don't think its presence or absence is polarizing enough to change those numbers too drastically. From a purely subjective standpoint, I haven't seen anyone advocating for a victini quickban after Terrakion is gone, and it was never mentioned as something that was likely or conditional upon Terrakion being banned. Like many other people, I feel like this quickban is pretty out of left field -- it's definitely been mentioned in the larger discourse around the tier, but never in a way to where it seems like it was a serious option on the table.

For there to be this huge of a disparity between the community and the council (.7% vs 100%), there are only a few conclusions you can draw. The first is that the tier has just changed that much in the intervening few weeks -- as I mentioned above, such a shift would probably be accompanied by popular community calls for victini quickbans and discussion of victini needing to quickban if terrakion left the tier -- none of that was present. The second is that the council and the larger community don't agree on this subject. This seems far more likely -- and I think it's understandably frustrating to see the community so actively against a quick ban (again, fewer than 1% voted for it in the survey) to seemingly no avail.

Now on to the first point: to begin, according to the UU survey, pre the terrakion ban 50% of the council voted for victini to be banned, and 50% voted against it. According to Lily in the post above, that has now shifted to 100%. This is definitely a dramatic shift -- and given that the only thing that's changed is that Terrakion was banned, I can only assume that the justification for the 50% of council members whose votes changed was contingent on that shift. Here's the thing: I don't think that's a particularly invalid assumption to come to. But it's literally been... two days since the ladder was updated to account for Terrakion being banned? There hasn't been a single UUPL battle post-Terrak meta or any other tournament without it but with victini? It's weird to me that in these two days, every single council member that previously voted DNB on a theoretical suspect gained enough experience in the post-terrak meta to decide unequivocally that victini was not only banworthy, but worth of a quickban.

There's only one other factor other than Terrakion -- the future shifts. This is where I have a particular problem and where I think the argument presented in this thread is self-contradictory. You can't say "we do not tier based on the future" if you're literally using it as a "nail in its coffin". That is tiering based on the future. I think this particularly strikes a sore spot for me because I brought up slowking leaving during the Terrakion suspect and was (rightfully) shut down for speculating. Why is it no longer unacceptable to consider potential future rises and drops while making tiering decisions? I'm asking not only for this case, but for clarity in the future, as it seems like there's a lot of mixed messaging regarding this.

I value and respect all the hard work of the council, and I don't want this to come off as attacking them or their choices -- I realize you'll never be able to please everyone. But quickbanning a mon that less than 1% of the community wanted to QB, skipping the suspect process entirely, and including self-contradicting language about future drops in the justification makes it easy to feel that the council isn't listening to the community at large or playing by the same rules -- and in the interest of clearing up that sentiment, I think more explanation / reconsideration of this decision is necessary.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
While the UU discord implodes on itself, I’d like to advertise some mons to help out with the new blade on the block.

:ss/moltres-Galar:
Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Wrath
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Nasty Plot

I used this just before Aegislash was banned And it gets even better with terrakion kicking the bucket. Bulky Goltres is a near counter to most special Aegislash set bar like, Head smash LOL.
RestTalk gives it longevity, and Nasty Plot lets it break past some stall teams, and let’s it be a great sleep absorber from the likes of tangrowth and amoonguss.

:ss/tangrowth:
Speak of the devil, Tangrowth happens to be an amazing pivot against either side of Aegislash’s attacks. Assault Vest sets can come in on powerful shadow balls, and the set has gotten better since Terrakion left so it isn’t as forced into Rocky Helmet, which can go toe-to-toe against the dreaded banded variants and even SD sets to sleep it or cripple it with a relatively strong knock off.

Now for some less in-depth things to hold off Aegislash...

:incineroar: can stomach a few stabs to gain momentum with parting shot, doesn’t like CC or subtox

:krookodile: chople sets can take on CC sets alongside intimidate, ability to force hazards against a switch out, doesn’t like subtox or specs

:zarude: outright invalidates subtox and can force BU on king’s shield. doesn’t like specs or CC

and that’s most of what I got! Just remember, if you think it’s doom and gloom versus this demonic dagger, then fear not! It’s not ALL bad.

Lily

UU Leader
I heavily disagree with the decision to quickban Victini. There was no room or opportunity for the community to discuss and give input on this, and it seems very brash to quickban something immediately after we have just finished a suspect test.

In the future, I hope to see quickbans reserved for things that are obviously and unanimously agreed upon to be broken (I.e., Marshadow in gen 7 OU), rather than Pokemon that only suspect worthy.

I'm sure the council has their reasoning for taking this approach, but it does not sit well with me.
I don't mind people disagreeing with this decision whatsoever but I have qualms with a few things in this post.

The idea that there was no room for the community to discuss and give input on this is misguided. It was brought up in the survey that was brought out over a month ago and the community has been free to talk about it since before that too - it was also mentioned as something that would be acted upon in the op of our last metagame thread. There is also the PS! room, the UU discord, and I'm sure there are plenty of private avenues where the tier is discussed too. Perhaps it wasn't discussed enough, but that isn't because there was no opportunity to do so. In addition, Terrakion being banned only helps Victini realistically - might open up some niche short-term checks like Incineroar a little more but that's nothing compared to losing such a prominent revenge killer.

As for the second part, this is not a quickban akin to that of Marshadow, Mega Pinsir etc. in the past because unlike those there is absolutely going to be a Victini retest in the reasonably near future (unless OU steals it, in which case there's nothing we can do anyway). If you disagree with this then that's fine but to me it is a completely separate situation and should be treated as such, the comparisons don't really make sense.

Again, if you're unhappy with the quickban that's totally fine, I get it. It's impossible to please everyone when tiering, no matter what approach you take, but saying that the community had no input is extremely unfair - there were *lots* of opportunities, this is not a mon that propped up out of nowhere, it has been discussed for a while now both internally in council discussions and elsewhere. There will also be more opportunities to discuss it whenever it's retested. I'm sorry if that isn't satisfactory, but tiering this generation is pretty awful and while I don't think every decision or method is perfect, I do genuinely believe this was the best course of action the tier could have taken right now.

I'd like to throw my two cents in wrt the Victini quickban as well -- I'm strongly opposed to it, largely due to two factors: first, the justification for a quickban seems arbitrary, self-contradictory, and not in line with the way tiering has happened for other threats. secondly, the decision to quickban victini is extremely out of line with the overall opinion of the tier and its players.

I'm going to start with the second point, because I think it's the most objective and obvious. On the community surveys sent out a few weeks ago, a whopping .7% of the community voted to quickban victini. Not 7%, .7%. Another 20% or so were strongly in favor of a suspect, and the other 80% of the playerbase was either actively against a suspect test (and a ban), or interested in a suspect at some point in the future but not clearly in favor of a ban.

In fairness -- the meta has changed since that survey. Terrakion isn't here anymore -- and while Terrakion definitely was a strong offensive check to the vast majority of victini sets, I don't think its presence or absence is polarizing enough to change those numbers too drastically. From a purely subjective standpoint, I haven't seen anyone advocating for a victini quickban after Terrakion is gone, and it was never mentioned as something that was likely or conditional upon Terrakion being banned. Like many other people, I feel like this quickban is pretty out of left field -- it's definitely been mentioned in the larger discourse around the tier, but never in a way to where it seems like it was a serious option on the table.

For there to be this huge of a disparity between the community and the council (.7% vs 100%), there are only a few conclusions you can draw. The first is that the tier has just changed that much in the intervening few weeks -- as I mentioned above, such a shift would probably be accompanied by popular community calls for victini quickbans and discussion of victini needing to quickban if terrakion left the tier -- none of that was present. The second is that the council and the larger community don't agree on this subject. This seems far more likely -- and I think it's understandably frustrating to see the community so actively against a quick ban (again, fewer than 1% voted for it in the survey) to seemingly no avail.

Now on to the first point: to begin, according to the UU survey, pre the terrakion ban 50% of the council voted for victini to be banned, and 50% voted against it. According to Lily in the post above, that has now shifted to 100%. This is definitely a dramatic shift -- and given that the only thing that's changed is that Terrakion was banned, I can only assume that the justification for the 50% of council members whose votes changed was contingent on that shift. Here's the thing: I don't think that's a particularly invalid assumption to come to. But it's literally been... two days since the ladder was updated to account for Terrakion being banned? There hasn't been a single UUPL battle post-Terrak meta or any other tournament without it but with victini? It's weird to me that in these two days, every single council member that previously voted DNB on a theoretical suspect gained enough experience in the post-terrak meta to decide unequivocally that victini was not only banworthy, but worth of a quickban.

There's only one other factor other than Terrakion -- the future shifts. This is where I have a particular problem and where I think the argument presented in this thread is self-contradictory. You can't say "we do not tier based on the future" if you're literally using it as a "nail in its coffin". That is tiering based on the future. I think this particularly strikes a sore spot for me because I brought up slowking leaving during the Terrakion suspect and was (rightfully) shut down for speculating. Why is it no longer unacceptable to consider potential future rises and drops while making tiering decisions? I'm asking not only for this case, but for clarity in the future, as it seems like there's a lot of mixed messaging regarding this.

I value and respect all the hard work of the council, and I don't want this to come off as attacking them or their choices -- I realize you'll never be able to please everyone. But quickbanning a mon that less than 1% of the community wanted to QB, skipping the suspect process entirely, and including self-contradicting language about future drops in the justification makes it easy to feel that the council isn't listening to the community at large or playing by the same rules -- and in the interest of clearing up that sentiment, I think more explanation / reconsideration of this decision is necessary.
I wanted to discuss this elsewhere but I guess it makes more sense here. Forgive the poor formatting but I'm not quoting over and over on mobile.

"On the community surveys sent out a few weeks ago, a whopping .7% of the community voted to quickban victini. Not 7%, .7%. Another 20% or so were strongly in favor of a suspect, and the other 80% of the playerbase was either actively against a suspect test (and a ban), or interested in a suspect at some point in the future but not clearly in favor of a ban."

You are right but you're also skewing these numbers, which is mostly my mistake since I never should've let this be an option. By lumping indifference in with either category you create an imbalance and I made these categories much vaguer than I should have by including options like "it is very strong but should not be suspected over other elements" as ultimately this is pretty useless information, it doesn't give us a hard yes or no about whether or not this voter thinks Victini is unhealthy or not - they could think it's fine, or they could think it's broken but less broken than something else. I think dropping 80% as a number is misleading but you have a good point here and I'm sorry for that. Worth noting is that this survey was quite some time ago at this stage and that we were just over the ban of Victini's best check (meta hadn't yet developed) and also that Terrakion, an incredible offensive check, was still around and being slated. Things have gone actively in its favour since which is the main reason for this decision.

"I think it's understandably frustrating to see the community so actively against a quick ban (again, fewer than 1% voted for it in the survey) to seemingly no avail."
I disagree here - not voting for it does not mean you are opposed to it. In fact, a significant portion of the community agrees with or is fine with this decision as can be seen through discussion on this thread and on Discord. Again, misleading numbers are pretty unfair.

"Now on to the first point: to begin, according to the UU survey, pre the terrakion ban 50% of the council voted for victini to be banned, and 50% voted against it. According to Lily in the post above, that has now shifted to 100%. This is definitely a dramatic shift -- and given that the only thing that's changed is that Terrakion was banned, I can only assume that the justification for the 50% of council members whose votes changed was contingent on that shift."

No, not really. This has been a very hot discussion for weeks now - highlighting the problem is often all it takes for people to actually realise what's wrong. Let's look at Alakazam, a Pokemon that's picking up in usage right now and is being considered as banworthy by some. Do you think this is because of the Terrakion ban? I think that would be a pretty silly notion. No, it's because of a) metagame shifts and b) spotlights.

Things often work out in favour of another thing passively. For example, as Zeraora became more and more dominant, Victini became better because it performs well against Nidoqueen, Grass-types and other Pokemon that check Zeraora. These two Pokemon then created a chokehold on the meta that severely worsened bulky Steels like Celesteela and Jirachi which in turn was great for Alakazam, it just took took people a while to notice. Metagames are ever evolving and adapting - Victini, Zeraora and others put a pretty unhealthy restrain on it that was difficult to address, but at large the community and council felt that Victini was the straw that broke the camel's back. Things just change, it isn't always the result of some massive shift or ban.

"You can't say "we do not tier based on the future" if you're literally using it as a "nail in its coffin". That is tiering based on the future. I think this particularly strikes a sore spot for me because I brought up slowking leaving during the Terrakion suspect and was (rightfully) shut down for speculating."

I thought I worded this clearly enough but to be absolutely positively clear, we were taking action on Victini regardless of Slowking's presence in the tier. The reason it was brought up is that it is effectively a guaranteed rise and I thought it'd make sense to at least mention it - it was not a driving force or anchoring reason to ban it. What I will admit - and this is where it gets complicated - is that the decision to quickban & retest specifically rather than suspect test was contingent on Slowking's position in UU. This was my fault for not putting it in the OP but as TDK pointed out, the reasoning was as follows:

We are set to lose Slowking. If Slowking was to be lost we would most likely have quickbanned Victini without question as all counterplay is pretty much gone at that point. If we had suspect tested it now and it was voted to stay, we are in an awkward position - a Pokemon is voted to remain UU, and its sole consistent check is removed from the tier a week later. What do we do? The answer is nothing - the community has already spoken, and we're p much stuck with a ruined meta.

How do you address this? Two ways.
A) Wait for Slowking to leave and then quickban or suspect test
B) Quickban and retest later when the time is right

Neither of these were ideal, but our hands were pretty tied. We don't tier based on the future but it is not something we can ignore when it is nigh-guaranteed and also fast approaching.

None of this is supposed to imply that this decision was handled perfectly. I do not even remotely believe it was and I think a lot of that can be put down to me & my inexperience as a leader - I rushed this a bit, that's for sure. However, I don't think there was an easy solution here no matter what we did. I'm sorry that you feel like you're not being listened to - I sent you a DM earlier, feel free to reply to it if this response is still unsatisfactory. I do hope I can do better for you & for this community in future but I can promise you that as it stands I'm trying my hardest to do what I think is right & I'm sorry if that doesn't align with your own thinking. Please don't hesitate to talk to me if you feel as though you need to air more concerns or if I didn't address something properly, it is 3am after all and I'm sure some of this is more rambly than it should be.

Lily did I ever tell you I loved you? This is just icing on the cake, buddy.

As far as Aegislash is concerned, I'm not sure. While it's probably broken, I can see potential for stuff like Incine to reappear (and be not garbage), as well as other mons like Zarude that were already decent getting better, which is always cool. Stuff like Milotic (which has seen some recent use in the tour scene and the samples thread) also adds another quality to its checkbox of capabilities. Overall, while I personally don't think Aegislash will stay, I think it'll be cool to see for a while. Who knows, maybe it'll actually not be broken!

fuck tini

None of this is supposed to imply that this decision was handled perfectly. I do not even remotely believe it was and I think a lot of that can be put down to me & my inexperience as a leader - I rushed this a bit, that's for sure. However, I don't think there was an easy solution here no matter what we did. I'm sorry that you feel like you're not being listened to - I sent you a DM earlier, feel free to reply to it if this response is still unsatisfactory. I do hope I can do better for you & for this community in future but I can promise you that as it stands I'm trying my hardest to do what I think is right & I'm sorry if that doesn't align with your own thinking. Please don't hesitate to talk to me if you feel as though you need to air more concerns or if I didn't address something properly, it is 3am after all and I'm sure some of this is more rambly than it should be.
First off, your post was good, and I'm not going to really discuss most of it since Victini QB is not something I'm terribly passionate about atm as I stated earlier - while I don't like quickbans, this was inevitable, and even though I don't like the decision I understand the process that went into it and I think it would have almost assuredly been banned in a suspect anyways, with or without Slowking.

What I instead want to focus on is this statement. I don't think anyone, including any of the shitposters, one liner posters, counterposters, counterarguments, or absolutley ANYONE else, thinks this way AT ALL about you. And, I think, to some degree, you do know that also. Aint nobody gonna talk about "inexperience" when you work harder than anyone else I've seen and I am 100% convinced everyone else feels the same way. It's not easy modding a forum, especially when you care about it as much as you do. And you have been doing it far before you became TL as well.

Fact is, you have other people working with you to make decisions, and even though I don't know you on a personal level, based on what I've seen from you I know that NONE of your decisions you make are going to be without input from a significant amount of other individuals. I mean, look at the Tini decision. It was UNANINMOUS council vote - you obviously cannot put something like this on you simply because you are TL. And everyone knows that too - we all really do appreciate everything you do in helping this community.

UU is a great community, and I am so happy that I've become more involved in it here, and you, along with others, have personally helped me grow a lot. It's not like that everywhere, trust me. The fact that you seek so much input and want to actively help the community achieve an enjoyable experience for all members helps make this community what it is. I really appreciate it a lot, and so does everyone else, and I don't feel bad saying that because I know they do.

but MOVING ON TO AEGISLASH so this isn't just a purely off-topic post:

:ss/Aegislash:

I haven't played that many games yet, but so far so good. That's all for my Aegislash opinion atm. But let's move on to something else entirely:

:bw/Alakazam:

Yoooo where are my NP Alakazam switch ins? That NP Zam team from the Sample Teams thread is tearing up the ladder these days, and since it's a well constructed team it's pretty terrifying. Chansey? Nope eats like 70% from +2 Focus Blast. Jirachi? Shadow Ball will KO most variants, and will ALMOST KO even max SpD. Celesteela takes just as much as Chansey with Focus Blast. Slowking takes just as much as Jirachi. AV Tangrowth??? Nope 80% from +2 Psychic - I guess you can switch in once while it uses NP and try to KO it after taking 80% damage, but any sort of chip and it's over. So where is the switch in? Really, where is it? The answer is, it's in your head with a good predict and that's it.

I am not suggesting Alakazam is broken or needs a test or needs to be banned. It does lose to Zeraora, Scizor, Bisharp, and (Shadow Sneak Aegislash), and I think having Offensive Checks does say something towards something being banworthy. I am just saying - it seems to be worse than Terrakion and Victini and it has just taken a while for people to realize it I feel. It also seems worse than Aegislash. And I don't even have Alakazam on my ban meme-chart, that's how unexpectedly it has risen in dangerousness recently. Please don't misconstrue this as me favoring a ban on Azelf's top competitor, this is totally not that at all and def not a ploy to try to have Azelf gain viability. Perhaps, instead, everyone here can offer some suggestions on how to deal with this "Alakazam" and we can see what happens with it moving forward.

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt
I am not a big fan of retesting Aegislash. The main problem with it when it was originally banned was that it had a huge array of sets, each one with insane amounts of viability, requiring different Pokemon to counter, and those counters are prone to getting worn down at the speed of light. Come March 2021 and we have virtually no dark types, and no hippowdon. Every since the community poll asking for people's takes on Aegi was announced I have asked about a thousand times why we're retesting Aegislash from a balance perspective. In fact it's been exactly a month since I first asked:
1615304459037.png

And I've never gotten a decent answer that wasn't "hey, it makes the ladder fun." And, speaking of which, the make the ladder fun argument has good intentions, but is really not a good leg to stand on. I think Victini's versatility and synergy and glueness makes the tier INFINITELY more fun that introducing Aegislash in a tier with no ghost resists. Aegislash is going to be unhealthy as fuck for the tier and I don't think anybody has many doubts about it, so why retest it?

I also really dislike the Victini quickban. A lot of people agree that it would have been banned eventually-but if victini would've been "inevitably banned", then how on earth is Aegislash good enough for suspect? The only conclusion I can draw is that the majority of the community/council thinks that Aegislash is more balanced than Victini. Which isn't true, because the community polls showed that opinion on victini was split-as was Aegi's. Why not give Victini a proper suspect test? I am not insulting the Council or their decisions and I honestly understand the reasonings behind it, but a quickban on victini after a poll proving that people were split on it feels insulting when Aegislash is retested at the exact same time because of the very same poll.

Of course, Lily has addressed this on post #20 with the quote "As for the second part, this is not a quickban akin to that of Marshadow, Mega Pinsir etc. in the past because unlike those there is absolutely going to be a Victini retest in the reasonably near future." This is actually great news, except it's a bit strange. If there is absolutely going to be a victini suspect in the future, why not...suspect it now instead of going through all the controversy of a quickban?

TL;DR I don't like the reasoning behind the retest or the qb. I think I'd at least find it fair if Victini and Aegi got a suspect (not that it would make Aegi any more balanced).

Personal Claim:
Personally, as like what LNumbers said, I really don't think giving Aegislash a retest will help anything in the long run nor do I see it really useful, and it probably will just cause even more tension for the tier. Terrakion being banned through suspect test and Victini being qb'd are two great things but the decision of Aegislash actually being UU again, imo is absolutely awful. It has a multitude of sets to distinguish itself upon other breakers in the tier, withholds one of the most sheer and prominent offensive typings in the metagame, and has just about all the tools it could possibly ask for. There are only just a limited amount of Pokémon that can check one set, and for that it may not even be easy to fit all of them reliably.

What I think it is for the meta:

I definitely don't think we need Aegislash right now as it's not like it also has a defensive role for something that's crazy in the tier, that something else can't handle. I could see why maybe you feel the need to see how it does in UU, but at the same time there's really no need to push this mon. I think personally the fact that Aegislash is as said again known for prominent stabs and coverage, and a multitude of versatility is all the reason for why it doesn't need to be down there. Also to take advantage of it's low-speed with Pursuit, does not exist. So you can't at the least offensively trap it. So I personally feel like offensive counterplay is just gonna have to be up to certain dark and ground types which have to hit hard and fit on teams. So personally yeah I wouldn't like to see this thing stay at all. Not to mention Chansey being down here might even just make Aegislash more good since it get's free opportunity/can use it as setup fodder to it's heart content.

Analysis:
Overall, the suspect is kind of pointless imo, but I really don't want the sword/shield to stay. Tbf it's also just weird to want to drop something down when there is already at least 5 pokemon that shouldn't even be down in this tier. So maybe it's just ladder or the way the council feels about the metagame, but with Aegislash for certain should stay where it is. I'd rather have more leave from UU then more be in UU. Well anyways thanks for listening to my pep talk.

ramolost

parfum quartier
I am not a big fan of retesting Aegislash. The main problem with it when it was originally banned was that it had a huge array of sets, each one with insane amounts of viability, requiring different Pokemon to counter, and those counters are prone to getting worn down at the speed of light. Come March 2021 and we have virtually no dark types, and no hippowdon. Every since the community poll asking for people's takes on Aegi was announced I have asked about a thousand times why we're retesting Aegislash from a balance perspective. In fact it's been exactly a month since I first asked:
View attachment 321992
And I've never gotten a decent answer that wasn't "hey, it makes the ladder fun." And, speaking of which, the make the ladder fun argument has good intentions, but is really not a good leg to stand on. I think Victini's versatility and synergy and glueness makes the tier INFINITELY more fun that introducing Aegislash in a tier with no ghost resists. Aegislash is going to be unhealthy as fuck for the tier and I don't think anybody has many doubts about it, so why retest it?

I also really dislike the Victini quickban. A lot of people agree that it would have been banned eventually-but if victini would've been "inevitably banned", then how on earth is Aegislash good enough for suspect? The only conclusion I can draw is that the majority of the community/council thinks that Aegislash is more balanced than Victini. Which isn't true, because the community polls showed that opinion on victini was split-as was Aegi's. Why not give Victini a proper suspect test? I am not insulting the Council or their decisions and I honestly understand the reasonings behind it, but a quickban on victini after a poll proving that people were split on it feels insulting when Aegislash is retested at the exact same time because of the very same poll.

Of course, Lily has addressed this on post #20 with the quote "As for the second part, this is not a quickban akin to that of Marshadow, Mega Pinsir etc. in the past because unlike those there is absolutely going to be a Victini retest in the reasonably near future." This is actually great news, except it's a bit strange. If there is absolutely going to be a victini suspect in the future, why not...suspect it now instead of going through all the controversy of a quickban?

TL;DR I don't like the reasoning behind the retest or the qb. I think I'd at least find it fair if Victini and Aegi got a suspect (not that it would make Aegi any more balanced).
since im the council member who first brought up a tini qb and brought up aegi retest (adaam was first), ill try to answer this. although, im pretty sure moute will write a post to answer the exact same thing later today so if u dislike my post you will have a better version in a few hours.

so i'll start with : what exactly has changed etc etc etc

so first of all, like adaam pointed out, the council vote was a very close one, and some council members (me at least), voted for a quickban but wanted aegi retested in the future. in that perspective, aegi retest make a lot of sense, at least to me.
what changed ??? a lot of things changed. we banned aegi when gapdos and blaziken just dropped, and hydreigon / hippo rose. it was also not so long after the gengar, volcarona and something that i just forgot. at the time, aegislash was fore sure the best mon. if u remember this meta and u built in it, u do remember how hard the builder was and i just ended up with the same team everytime coz if i changed something a broken would just win. this was one of the reason i voted ban. i do believe now that building is less more restrictive, especially after we banned tini. it gives more room to account for aegislash in the builder without giving up on not checking other mons. but drei and hippo are still OU, what makes it ok ?? well tbf i dont know if its ok but i believe that the metagame tends to be offensive and, while theres is not solid counter to aegi (goltres and incin i guess but eh), we have a lot of offensive checks and its pressured a lot.
so here come that (we had a lot of variations of this in the thread) : Aegislash is going to be unhealthy as fuck for the tier and I don't think anybody has many doubts about it, so why retest it?
im not saying aegi is balanced or unhealthy but the mon been there for like what ??? 20 hours and you guys already say its broken (or healthy like solo but hes dumb as fuck) without even trying the mon. this is straight up dumb and its not the point of a retest : you have 2 weeks for that.

now about tini :
well most members were opposed to a tini qb at first. i first brought up that we should qb tini like 2 weeks ago i believe, in council chat. i think there is no way to punish tini in the metagame and the checks are easily getting abused. however, why quickbanning it and not testing it. well i wanted to quickban tini and test something because i thought that only banning tini wouldnt change much. however, TDK brought a solid argument (see IP posts before posting) : if we test tini, suspect will end up late march and if we keep tini and slowking rise it would just be super awkward, since slowking was the only tini check. it wasnt an easy decision for sure but we thought it was the best one. tini wasnt "inevitably banned" and thats the problem actually ! although, lily didnt ask us : are you in favor in a tini qb but : are you in favor and a tini qb and a retest after, which is way more different.

In regard to aegi well i just got req and beat ramos ass when he was using it so it must be shit https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1297341967
shut the fuck up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)