Metagame NP: Stage 0 - We've Only Just Begun (Welcome to SV NU) [Quickbans Post #142]

Status
Not open for further replies.
:SV/masquerain:
Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Sticky Web
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
Combining the 2 uses this mon has into one set, allowing a decent check to most grass types of the new tier, also I love them. They baby.

things that I think look a bit Yikes (TM) right now:

:sv/mabosstiff:
A Stakeout mon with an actually decent Speed tier, incredible Attack, and insane coverage to smash through any Dark resists equals one :worrywhirl: the only mons I can find that can handle the combo of Crunch/Jaw Lock, Play Rough, and Psychic Fangs are Skuntank and Houndoom which doesn't bode well. Would not be surprised to see this thing QB'd come March.

:sv/oricorio-sensu: :sv/oricorio-pom pom:
Top 10 Mysteries That Baffle Scientists To This Day. Number 1: How The Fuck Did RU Keep Mismagius But Let Oricorio-Sensu Drop??? Seriously, the combination of Quiver Dance and the Tera/Revelation Dance interaction makes these two birbs in particular insane. Yet another duo of mons I can't see staying past March.

:sv/venomoth:
yet another QD sweeper, the former face of RUBL trades the insane coverage of the Oricorios for pure wallbreaking power with Tinted Lens. Sleep Powder to cripple threats and force switches serves as the cherry on top. Yet another mon that I'm not sure will stay come March (seeing a pattern here??)

and some mons I haven't seen mentioned yet/a lot that I think could be pretty good/fun without being broken:

:sv/jolteon:
yes ik haha jolteon noob trap. however, I think Jolteon actually has a chance to be good in this meta thanks to the addition of Calm Mind in its moveset, plus Terastallization + Tera Blast giving it options to break through would-be checks and counters like Sandaconda and Goodra. definitely a sleeper pick rn imo.

:sv/veluza: :sv/bruxish:
grouping these two together bc they're very similar as Water/Psychic physical attacker feesh. both of them have their pros and cons: Bruxish has much better Speed and access to Wave Crash at the cost of less bulk, and Veluza has much poorer speed, but makes up for it with the absolute insanity that is Fillet Away, while also having slightly better bulk and the option to go special with Stored Power if you so desire. they both have their places in the meta and I could see them both being good tbh.

:sv/dudunsparce:
HOW HAS NOBODY TALKED ABOUT THE FUNNI TROLL SNAKE YET THIS DUDE LOOKS INSANE. it's movepool and stat distribution is MASSIVE, giving you plenty of sets to choose from. coil hyper drill and cm boomburst are probably going to be the two most common sets, but the last two moveslots on each set can be changed to check and counter different things. hell, you could even go for more out there defensive sets, like glare + hex for status spreading and stealth rock + dragon tail for phazing, and I haven't even gotten to tera but it's just as customizable. genuinely think this thing's going to be like A tier minimum when things settle down.

:sv/chansey:
it's chansey. it speaks for itself.

overall, this meta looks very funny and I'm excited to give it a try, looking forward to seeing all of the insane tech that comes up :bat:

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
Well, after playing in tier for a tiny bit, I want to talk about a teamstyle I think is doing quite well at the moment...

Screen Teams:

:morgrem: Morgrem has prankster screens + parting shot and taunt, be aware of dark types and because you cannot do anything to them but otherwise a fine setter for the tier.

:jumpluff: Fast Pokemon with Encore to stop set up and Memento + U-turn to pivot in your abusers. Fine enough, just be wary of some scarfers with ice type moves i guess.

Nothing else i've really seen so far so i guess we'll see other ones pop up as we go.

Abusers

:zangoose:
Belly Drum Pokemon with priority move and good coverage, pretty solid. You need to be careful of spiritomb because that can shut you down if you aren't careful as well as faster Pokemon that can take a Tera Normal Quick Attack. Overall very solid though and I hope sees a lot of use here.

:venomoth: I don't know exactly why this is here but this is probably our best Quiver Dancer the tier has to offer, tinted lens means only quad resists actually resist like Oricorio-Sensu or Toxicroak but coverage hits them fine anyway. Just be careful of Chansey, seems to not be able to break that sadly.

:gogoat: Surprisingly strong, tera has made this Pokemon a lot more viable in my personal opinion and when i used it, it actually performed pretty well. I think water is a better tera typing because grass + ground has a lot it cannot hit very well but i included it there just in case you want Gogoat not to be completely reliant on tera.

:farigiraf: Another suprisingly good Pokemon that I have been using. Armor Tail stops priority from ever being an issue and with the Fairy tera typing, you flip your weaknesses into resistances. Screens really help this a lot since its HP stat is massive so boosting those defensives help a lot, click agility, click calm mind and your good to go. Main problem i found was only steel types like Copperajah without something like Tera Fighting but if i boosted high enough even then i could do about 70% to them with stored power. Overall, pretty nice.

:dudunsparce: I suppose i should mention this one, its good at what it does. Boomburst is still really strong, Agility + Throat Spray wasn't too bad in my experiences and Calm Mind functions fine enough too. Lots of fighting types about so I recommend Tera Ghost so you can be immune while boosting Shadow Ball.

:spiritomb: Pretty Good, Spiritomb seems to have a good MU versus a lot of the meta and a Calm Mind set does wonders on screens, lack of fairies means this is the perfect environment for Spiritomb thrive. Pressure also helps in Calm Mind wars versus other Pokemon.

Those are the notable ones i've seen so far in ZU, thanks for reading and happy laddering in NU!

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:ss/Jumpluff:
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Strength Sap
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder

this guy fucks, all the rock and steels are super poverty and having a general fastmon to dissuade quiver dance bugs + choice item fighters is very nice. strength sap is perpetually broken; sleep powder is perpetually broken, therefore it follows that jumpluff is perpetually broken (/s). give it a try tho

Played about 10 games so far, quick initial thoughts:

:sv/Drifblim: :sv/Carkol:
Options for hazard removal are very limited, to say the least. In terms of Spin, your only option seems to be Carkol, which is very exploitable as it tends to let it scary attackers or eats up your Tera type. Defog has more options- it's just most of the mons that get it have better sets to run. You think Oricorio wants to be stuck on Defog duty instead of playing with its new Quiver Dance? Only mon I've seen on Defog duty is Drifblim, which has nice traits but is not that hard to predict. Fun fact: Drifblim is NOT an answer to boosted Passimian. Honestly, removal straight up isn't worth it on a lot of teams right now because the best options don't really work without back-up support.

:sv/Passimian:
Speaking of, funny soccer monkey looks like it's going to be a premier offensive threat in NU once again, at least in the early stages. Fairies are basically non-existant, which makes its classic combo of CC + Knock + U-turn very hard to handle, and means Choice sets are perfectly free to run Rock Slide for Flying types. This thing looks to be one of the tier's best Scarfers and can be really hard to handle if Defiant gets triggered.

:sv/Goodra:
What was that about no Fairy types? After AV Goodra proved underwhelming, I slapped on Specs. If the opponent doesn't resist your attack, they kind of just die. It doesn't seem overwhelming yet, I've seen that it can be played around with hazard pressure. But offense teams definitely need to watch out, especially since 80 Speed honestly isn't too bad atm. Surf + Tbolt + Flame are ideal coverage for most scenarios, though Sludge Bomb can answer a surprise Tera Fairy.

:sv/Copperajah:
Loving this guy as a Rocker thus far. Has a good match-up vs other Rockers bar Sandaconda, Heavy Slam + EQ is good enough for a lot of the tier. Been running Whirlwind in the last slot to scramble screen teams, though Play Rough is a nice alternative so Fighting types don't switch in for free.

:sv/Bruxish: :sv/Rotom: :sv/Vaporeon: :sv/Mabosstiff: :sv/Scovillain:
Not as much to say on these guys. Bruxish got two really strong STAB and Band requires a good deal of dancing, though it goes down pretty easily. Rotom is really annoying but the lack of removal options means it get worn down quickly with Rocks up. Vaporeon seems one of the best defensive mons and is probably carrying bulky teams atm, though Choice attackers like Goodra and Bruxish can easily cleave through it with certain options. Mabostiff- since when is this thing that strong?! As for Scovillain: I played against manual sun, and under sun this thing has no switch-ins. Neutral Overheat did about 47% to my offensive Goodra, and that was before Tera Fire. Do not underestimate manual sun.

:ss/Toxicroak:

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
Tera Type: Dark
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat

I can't help it: this mon will always be good in NU. Poison types have to run lefties now, useful water immunity, substitute for the thunder waves, tera dark-sucker punch is fun with Medicham :medicham: around and having CC is amazing... finally

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Early thoughts

:sv/oricorio-pom-pom:
"It doesn't want to run defog when it can qd instead" Brother, I'll be taking YOUR Quiver Dance instead. Nifty defogger that beats other defoggers.

:sv/whiscash:
Whiscash used Stealth Rocks!
Whiscash used Spikes!
Whiscash fainted!
A better suicide lead than Lycanroc imo.

:sv/zoroark:
It's not particularly strong, but it is faster than all of the quiver dancers. Doesn't have a super-effective move against most of them, so you're gonna have to chip them down a bit before hoping Knock Off KOs.

:sv/vaporeon::sv/drifblim:
Get Haze'd nerd. Decently bulky options for teams needing a sponge. Vape is slightly stronger and supports the team better, Drifblim has useful immunities to Fighting spam.

:sv/dudunsparce:
Got swept by this once, so it must be good. 125/80/75 is really good bulk, can go either Physical with Coil and Paraflinch shenanigans, or CM Boomburst. Rattled is cool if you're Tera Fairy since Knock Offs and U-turns are going to boost your speed.

:sv/eelektross:
Someone is probably going to talk about this later down the line, but AV sets are a good switch-in to many of the quiver dancers and can handle rockers like non-BP Sanda and even the CASH to some extent. Consider using if you're looking for more offensive options.

:sv/lilligant:
An overlooked option for good reason, but still a usable option. Tera Fire or Tera Electric are probably the better options, though if you really hate Goodra, use something else.

My favorite tier returns!!! So excited to play this meta, though I am worried about a few mons/cores.
First things first, I wanted to toss out a duo who make fantastic partners in this tier:

:SV/Chansey:
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam/Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

:SV/Glimmet:
Glimmet @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock

Glimmet invites special attackers who Chansey sets up on and Chansey forces in physical threats that Glimmet can abuse late game to set up t spikes. The Glimmet set provided absolutely doesn't matter in this case, what really matters is CM tera ghost Chansey with TSpikes support. Chansey is already terrified of knock off so tera ghost just doubles down on that while completely fixing it's fighting weakness and any problems it has vs the guts/Facade mons (I love zangoose, Ursaring, and squawkabilly in NU). Focus blast let's you nail normals but the accuracy and low PP really come back to bite you. Dazzling is probably better overall for that reason. Beware the calm mind/quiver dance wars cuz 8 PP on soft boiled does become a pretty serious problem.

The beauty of this pair is that they give you hazard support and an unbreakable special wall, while also giving you a super strong wincon to play for. As far as team options, you gotta have a good physical wall that can withstand the fighting/dark assault that Chansey will invite before and after it tera's respectively. They also pair well with psychic wall breakers like medicham, veluza, or bruxish who can force progress vs fighting types that come in on Chansey. Zoroark also deserves some mention as a scarfer on these teams. The answers to Chansey and Glim are so specific and necessary that zor can get such good progress by pretending to be one of them. Zor also can trick specs/scarf vs a Chansey check/counter to ruin it and make way for a sweep.

Hey, y'all! Catalisador here leaving my First Impressions on the new SV NU tier.

:sv/medicham:

Medicham stands out as an incredibly powerful breaker right now. Very little can check it defensively, namely Hattrem. With sets ranging from Choice Scarf to Choice Band and AoA, it is definitely a power house in the early meta. The set that stands out to me, however, is Trailblaze 3 Atks or Trailblaze + Bulk Up. The boost from Traiblaze turns Medicham's mediocre Speed into one of the highest in the tier, leaving very little room for offensive checks to revenge kill.

:sv/passimian:

Similarly, Passimian possesses a great Speed tier coupled with incredible coverage options in Knock Off, Gunk Shot and Earthquake. Access to U-Turn also allows it to provide momentum for teams, which, in a such a fast-paced meta (like early metas tend to be), is really important. Very little can actually switch into Passimian's movepool and the mons that do usually don't appreciate having their items removed via Knock Off.

:sv/bruxish:

Bruxish's Strong Jaw boosted Psychic Fangs coupled with its secondary STAB in Wave Crash leaves very little defensive counterplay. It is definitely one of the most threatening wallbreakers in the early metagame, with limited checks such as Quaxwell and Slowpoke. Also, an overlooked set is the Bulk Up + Taunt one, which breaks down defensive cores with ease.

:sv/mabosstiff:

Choice Banded Mabosstiff stands out as an offensive powerhouse that can singlehandedly beat stall with its Stakeout-boosted Crunches. Thanks to Stakeout, nothing can really safely switch in into its potent STAB, especially when coupled with great coverage in Play Rough. Definitely a mon worth keeping an eye on.

:sv/hattrem:

Hattrem quickly solidified itself as one of the best checks for Medicham. Furthermore, Magic Bounce gives it a unique niche, especially since the tier lacks diversity when it comes to efficient hazard control options.

:sv/slowpoke:

Slowpoke seems really hype right now as a check to both Medicham and Bruxish thanks to its unique typing combination. Coupled with reliable recovery in Slack Off and utility moves such as Chilling Water and Thunder Wave, it stands out as a unique defensive pick right now.

:sv/crocalor:

Crocalor provides a unique role as a defensive check to the menancing Quiver Dance abusers in the tier right now thanks to its Unaware ability. Coupled with partners such as Hattrem to mitigate its weakness to hazards, it looks like a very solid pick right now.

:sv/quaxwell:

Quaxwell stands out as the premier spinner of the tier, only facing competition from Toedscool. Definitely pretty cool too see the duck get some real usage! :)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
In terms of Pokemon that seem a little too good from first impressions:

:Goodra:

Goodra is absolutely potent, which is a movie many NU players have scene once before. Much to our dismay, the cast this time around is almost void of Fairy types altogether, which makes Choice Specs and Tera Dragon quite the burden. Even the most specially bulky Copperajah or Vaporeon can only do so much thanks to coverage and the lack of reliable hazard removal we see, too. Couple this with Goodra's immense natural special bulk enabling it and you have the perfect storm for a relatively slow, but tanky and practical, breaker to get out of hand. I cannot imagine this thing lasts forever.

:Venomoth: & :Oricorio-Pom-Pom:

Quiver Dance sweepers are absolutely potent right now. While I have more experience with Venomoth and find it to be the most offensively potent of the two noted here, both Venomoth and Oricorio-Pom-Pom are challenging to handle. I am abstaining to comment on other Oricorio forms as I have yet to touch them myself or see them as much. Venomoth perhaps moreso due to the fact that Tinted Lens circumvents a lot of type-based counterplay, which makes the Terastallization fail-safe suddenly less viable into it. Options like Sleep Powder and Morning Sun become possible, too, as it truly only needs Bug Buzz, especially when it opts to boost itself with Tera Bug to topple on top of everything, Oricorio-Pom-Pom functions with a little more finesse and strategy perhaps, but it also is very hard to minimize. I have noticed a slew of random Tera Electric users, which can sometimes minimize the problem, but this is such a substantial opportunity cost in the builder and battle that I do not see this alone as a saving grace for Oricorio-Pom-Pom.

:Medicham:

This one is a lot easier: Medicham has no counters and a very small handful of checks. You do not switch in to it regularly, especially not without outpredicting it. This is an unhealthy dynamic riddled with guesswork and games devolving into trade-wars rather than being rich in strategy over prolonged stretches.

Not yet sold or fully enlightened on :Mabosstiff: or :Zangoose:, but I have already heard complaints and I am sure we will engage more on these topics in the coming days.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
In terms of some Pokemon I find as likely good additions who we have not had in recent generations:

:Vespiquen:

Perhaps I am jumping the gun, but I like it as a Spiker in this hazard centric metagame. It provides a unique defensive profile that allows for you to 4x resist Fighting and be immune to Ground. Obviously the rock weakness is painful and it is quite reliant on Heavy-Duty Boots, but Vespiquen has been very viable for me thus far.

:Morgrem:

If screens is a playstyle that surfaces much at all, Morgrem will be plenty viable and perhaps even NU by usage. This Pokemon has not really been in NU circles as we have had alternatives and Grimmsnarl even finished last generation in NU, but it is amusing seeing the trickle-down here with the limited dex. Finally, Parting Shot is a great tool to open the door for certain sweepers.

:Klawf:

This thing can do a lot movepool wise and even ability/placement wise. I am sure Regenerator is best overall on it and will lead to a good niche, but Anger Shell is such an amusing ability and enables some lead applications as well. I think Klawf will be a great NU option.

:Farigiraf:

This thing is the devil; good luck stopping it once it gets some boosts up. Perhaps one of the most support reliant Pokemon, but it has an enormous upside that can leave unprepared teams without any response.

:Tauros-Paldea-Combat:

A nice offensive presence that may get overshadowed a tad by competition right now, but still has a distinct niche and will get better if others settle down or things like Medicham ever get looked at, giving it more team opportunities.

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
  • I'm surprised no one is talking about :basculin-blue-striped: when having conversations regarding Bruxish. We have like one water immunity in this tier, and Tera Water Adaptability Wave Crash just nukes everything else in the tier and its faster than a lot of the stuff that has potential to make the tier its bitch: Oricorio formes, Medicham, Moth, Zangoose etc
  • I have been impressed with Assault Vest :goodra: tbh. Specs is for sure a very very dangerous set but go run some calcs with all the QD mons running around and its a pretty decent check to them. Moth/Lilligant cannot Sleep Powder due to Sap Sipper and Fire Blast still 2hkos them after they have one boost.
  • I have returned to monke :passimian:. This thing has been doing the same thing since gen 7, Scarf is always good speed control, hits hard, now has like Tera Fighting/Poison to break harder.
  • :tinkatuff:. Definitely the best steel and best fairy in the tier imo. The bulk + defensive typing is too good not to use rn with great support options in Thunder Wave, Knock Off, Rocks and Encore. Only issue with this mon is that 4mss is a nuisance because I feel like this really wants to run Encore but you want to have Play Rough so you're not the most passive mon in the world. If you have a secondary rocker, Encore probably fits there. Mold Breaker is also nice since :hattrem: is actually seeing some usage.
I need to get back into the forge to make some more heat but the mons I think should be good are like :flapple:, :flareon: potentially with Tera Normal, :luxray: could also be nice as well.

Hey guys Flareon is actually good

:flareon:
Flareon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Attack
- Trailblaze

Tera Normal not only gives STAB Quick Attack, but let's Flareon actually utilise its Guts ability properly with Flame Orb and STAB Facade. Trailblaze for Speed and Flare Blitz for powerful coverage.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
I'm surprised no one is talking about :basculin-blue-striped: when having conversations regarding Bruxish. We have like one water immunity in this tier, and Tera Water Adaptability Wave Crash just nukes everything else in the tier and its faster than a lot of the stuff that has potential to make the tier its bitch: Oricorio formes, Medicham, Moth, Zangoose etc
I’d agree that it’s one of the most practical Water types offensively right now, and it probably should see more usage. Just the water STABs allow for breaking and later game revenge killing stand-alone, which is more than enough to justify placement on some bulky-O teams. My main issue is we are seeing an influx of Vaporeon, and this can give it free chances to CM or Wish, which leads to a dead sequence with a full momentum reset. I feel like with hazards being up so often, this is a huge disadvantage to these type of offenses. Because of this, I would really focus on Basculin with something that abuses Vaporeon only like Toxicroak or a Spiker of your own to make it think twice and keep it honest against potential double switches. Earlier today I faced a nice tempo core with it and I felt like 1-2 wrong turns would spell doom for me, was really nicely done.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Long post incoming.

:sv/Veluza:
DO NOT USE SHARPNESS ON THIS LOOOL. Running Sharpness means you will always lose to Vaporeon. Veluza's second ability, Mold Breaker, allows Veluza to hit Vaporeon with its Water-type STAB if it decides to Tera Dark to prevent Psycho Cut. Stored Power sets are really strong and are much better into the current meta. Veluza has Blastoise potential in the future, especially with its versatility, so it's something to keep in mind when building.

:sv/goodra:
Idk who thought it was a good idea to not have many Steel- or Fairy-types this gen, but I really hate them. Goodra is very potent right now and has great set versatility. Specs sets are strong and spammable, physical Scarf sets are decent revenge killers, as well as the unkillable Acid Armor set that eats your 2HKO moves for breakfast and laughs in your face. Can't wait for March to say bye to this thing-- hopefully as fast as UU banned Espathra.

:Lycanroc: :Bruxish: :Basculin: :Zangoose:
These are the main priority users that don't rely on Sucker Punch (next section). All of them have extremely strong priority especially paired with Tera. None of them are as defining or powerful as Goodra or Venomoth (with the exception of Bruxish) but still pack a strong punch that you should try when building.

:Honchkrow: :Toxicroak: :Zoroark:
I originally underestimated Honchkrow, but it is actually really good. Scarf sets are annoying to deal with when there are so few Dark resists. Toxicroak can blanket check Lycanroc and Mabosstiff by resisting their STABs as well as using Tera Dark to beat Vaporeon and Bruxish while also boosting its Sucker Punch to insane damage levels. Zoroark can Sucker Punch, Knock Off, U-turn, etc. It definitely has a niche in current meta, though it hasn't been defined too much yet.

:Tinkatuff: :Crocalor: :Quaxwell: :Hattrem: :chansey:
These are all great NFEs. Tinkatuff is THE role compression machine with its Fairy/Steel typing, Mold Breaker Stealth Rock, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave. Crocalor is definitely one of the best checks to all of the Quiver Dance Pokemon. It even has access to Roar which surprised me when I saw it get used in a battle. Quaxwell is not only a great Rapid Spinner, but even has potential to sweep due to Rapid Spin + Moxie as a pseudo-set up. Hattrem shines (once again) in a hazard filled meta, Nuzzle is annoying to deal with since there are no clerics. Chansey is Chansey.

:sv/Farigiraf:
I haven't actually used this or seen it be used, but while writing this I was thinking about it and its potential. Armor Tail is an amazing ability which can stop obviously all priority, but most notably Honchkrow's Sucker Punch. Double Dance sets with a Fairy tera has very little counterplay.

:sv/Glimmet: :sv/Whiscash:
Glimmet is a funny hazard setter on HO. It has an insane 115 Special Attack, which allows it to push through some leads if they stay in expecting you to just set up hazards. Whiscash has a good typing, SR, and Spikes with a Taunt immunity. HO is definitely great and these 2 Pokemon are a reason why.

:oricorio: :Oricorio-Pa’u: :Oricorio-Pom-Pom: :oricorio-sensu: :venomoth: :frosmoth: :vivillon: :Lilligant:
Not much to say other than they're all dumb and I hope they all either get banned or restricted (QD ban?) when Alpha ends.

:Vaporeon:
Another Pokemon I said would suck this gen. I was wrong, SubCM sets with Stored Power are definitely scary due to Vaporeon's great bulk and high natural Special Attack.

:Medicham: :Mabosstiff:
Both are great sweepers and frankly do need banned when Alpha ends. Tera Fairy Medicham has no switch-ins other than... Dedenne? Mabosstiff is the same way- you need a Skuntank or Paldean Tauros to deal with it.

No Calc-ing yet cause tier is new but a playstyle that has worked really well for me has been Sand
Specifically: A core of Sandaconda && Lycanroc
lycanroc.png
Lycanroc @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Rock
Adamant Nature
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Psychic Fangs

Lycanroc hits really hard for STAB Stone Edge, making it a really strong Wallbreaker. Likewise, Accelerock and Sand Rush allows you to revenge kill Quiver Dance abusers and Scarf-ed mons respectively. Psychic Fangs deals with Screens, Passimian and Toxicroak while Close Combat helps you deal with Copperajah and bulky normal types.
sandaconda.png
Sandaconda @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Spit
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Endure/Stealth Rock/Substitute
- Glare
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Sandaconda is just there to set the sandstorm and Eject Button allows a free switch to Lycanroc. Glare can help cripple set-up mons. Endure helps you come in one more turn for another 4 extra rounds of sand, while sub allows you to punish passive players who switch out, as EQ and Stone Edge hits hard on any mon. Hazards can also be useful. Tera Steel is just for fun, I have never Tera'd it.

Good team members that can pair up with this core are mons that allows you to switch in to Sandaconda easily, and revenge killers that can aid frrom Lycanroc's revenge killing and Hazard Setters to help Lycanroc kill secure. Two mons I have been using are Magneton && Brusxish
magneton.png

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Tera Type: Ground/Ice/Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast/Body Press

Scarf Magneton does quite a lot of damage to the tier with its Volt-Cannon combo. Analytic is good as it punishes anybody that switches out and Volt allows you to gain momentum. Tera Ground lets you hit Crocolar harder, while Ice just has good overall synergy for Bolt-Beam coverage. Flying helps give immunity to ground and resistance to fighting and helps with Fighting types. Body Press is just a niche option in case you don't want to Tera.
bruxish.png
Bruxish @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Strong Jaw
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Wave Crash
- Swords Dance/Liquidation/Agility
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs

This ugly looking thing is actually so fun to use and that makes me love it even more. It has a good speed tier although it gets outspeed by Oricorios. Heavy Duty Boots allows it to come in free from hazard and webs to spam its strong attacks. Strong Jaw Psychic Fangs and Tera Water Wave Crash pack such a punch even when unboosted by SD. Aqua Jet allows you to pick of fast squishy mons that outspeed. SD boosts your weak Jets but Liquidation provides an alternative to Wave Crash. This mon pairs well with Lycanroc as each of them can serve as Wallbreakers or Revenge Sweepers simultaneously.

Last edited:

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
I don't wanna be the guy to bring up an Eeveelution, but thoughts on Jolteon on this meta?

:sv/jolteon:

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ice/Fire/Grass
Timid Nature
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Shadow Ball

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-1790042961

here's a replay from a room tour final, specs jolteon feels like a good pivot and speed control atm with the limited number of ground switchins and resists, the ability to check Oricorio forms and Vaporeon, revenge kill the fast banded waters like Bruxish/Basculin and also potentially check a few other options with certain tera types (ice/grass for sandaconda for instance). Partners pretty well with a lot of mons depending on what your team needs, especially the number of flying and water types we have here for some nice synergy.

Another mon I think is really potent in HO is Farigiraf, a lot of people seem to forget Prankster works on it and you can snowball some setup turns real fast.

:sv/farigiraf:

(Farigiraf) @ Leftovers
Ability: Armor Tail
Tera Type: Fairy /Fighting
EVs: 252 Def / 76 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam/Tera Blast

Having Indeedee's psychic terrain also gives you some extra boost on Stored Power, but honestly you probably won't need it. Run with screens and go wild. I don't know this is in NU, I thought it felt pretty potent in RU and would've stayed there.

Lilo

formerly Test Techles
is a Tiering Contributor
So NU is finally here and I will take this post to highlight the good (instead of the qd moths and corios)

:Lurantis: This mon seems like a cool addition to the tier. Access to defog, contrary leaf storm and a potential tera fire u are set to handle most if not all rockers in the tier

:Jolteon: For once i see myself interested in quick feet flame orb jolt due to the speed tier and ability to outspeed even +1 moths and corios (cool cm addition as well)

:Scyther: Getting CC just made this mon even better

:Eiscue: with tera i can see this getting some utility (probably on stall of all things)

:Dudunsparce: Sub CM was a set I ran on current RU with decent success so I presume it will be better here

:Banette: Underrated mon, access to knock sd and Stab priority, after one sd and a cool tera could be gg (cb is appealing ngl)

Looking through NFE I remembered the existence of a mon you may remember if you played Gen 6 NU/PU

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Facade
- Taunt/Throat Chop

Bulk Up Vigoroth was one of the most threatening and annoying Pokemon back in Gen 6 PU which ultimately sent him to PUBL. Even in Gen 6 NU meta which was utterly saturated with Normal mons, Vigoroth managed to carve a niche back then. Now with access to defensive Terastalization, he's ready to take on the tier once more.

Also all NFE Fairy sucks, I miss Clefairy, of all things, CLEFAIRY

So, Dark types, Psychic types, Fighting types. They are all so prevalent in this tier. But we cant forget that we also got around 20 Normal-types, lol. I have been playing with a lot of them and I wanted to share a bit of my experience.

1675370884994.png

Ursaring @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam / Crunch / Play Rough
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tera Ghost Ursaring sets up against Choice locked Tauros-Paldea, Medicham and Passimian. It also prevents boomburst from CM Dudunsparce, but I dont think you can hit back without Crunch, as Dudunsparce also runs Tera Ghost. Max Spd investment is useful against QD users, and you can use Ursaring to absorb Sleep Powders, Tspikes, and use it as a setup opportunity. You get to 408 SpD with Eviolite!

1675370919864.png

Braviary @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 204 Def / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Now, there's this beast. One of the best defoggers (not like we have many). Access to Defiant gives it a decent niche against other defoggers, if u dare to switch into one of them. Tera Flying is decent against Medicham, as otherwise Banded CC would kill you. 204 Def is enough to survive a Adamant LO Close Combat from Medi. Fair trade!

252+ Atk Life Orb Pure Power Medicham Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 204 Def Braviary: 341-402 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1675370954282.png

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Yes, another Zangoose mention. But its just so good! Facade hits really hard, and the only thing that can reliably counter you is like, Spiritomb? Good Tspikes absorber, just like Ursaring, but without having to rely in mono STAB. Rock Slide is the coverage of choice over Night Slash and Ice punch, as it kills Drifblim without triggering Aftermath. Quick Attack can take some kills, but I havent been able to kill anything with it yet. Pairs well with Crotomb :blobthumbsup:

1675371075790.png

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Headbutt
- Horn Leech
- Play Rough / Double Edge
- Zen Headbutt / Wild Charge

I offered a late game cleaner, a defogger and a wallbreaker. Now, we have a form of speed control. Headbutt sawsbuck is a true beast! It outspeeds common scarf users like Passimian, Mabosstiff and other base 80 Scarf users. The only scarfers that can outspeed it are like, Tauros-Paldea and Zoroark? Both arent common choices. Tera Normal Headbutt deals a lot of dmg and the 60% flinch chance seems more like 100%. Works really well when paired with Glare Sandaconda. Horn Leach for some recovery and the other 2 moves are just fillers.

Last edited:

Peum

formerly Mandibuladel5555
No one is talking about Tauros Combat, the MOST underrated mon on this tier, Tauros Combat doesnt need a Scarf or a Bulky set to be good, May I present to you:

:SV/Tauros-Paldea-Combat:
Tauros-Paldea-Combat @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Trailblaze
- Stone Edge

1675378493652.png

After getting to number two after being carried by this set, I might say that this set is CRAZY, the fact that I've never encountered on the ladder a mirror set is unbelievable.

With the speed of Tauros being able to outspeed most of the threats in NU, it just needs to click trailblaze one time to outspeed every scarfer that can threaten it: Goodra, Braviary, Copperajah, Quaxwell, Farigiraf are all a smart part of the mons that die after a Bulk Up. Jolteon, Braviary holding Scarf, Passimian holding Scarf all get outspeed after a Traiblaze and Tera Rock kills Drifblim, Crocalor and Flareon with Lum berry getting rid of the threat of Quiver Dancers and wow users.

252 Atk Tera Rock Tauros-Paldea Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Crocalor: 240-284 (65.5 - 77.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Tera Rock Tauros-Paldea Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Drifblim: 500-590 (99.2 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tera Rock Tauros-Paldea Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 349-412 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Tera Rock Tauros-Paldea Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Medicham: 165-195 (63.2 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

ItzaDelta

formerly I-Deepblue-I
Overall im having fun with tier :D, how about you all?

:oricorio_pom_pom:
Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dancer
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Tauny

This thing is sooo broken
The set i'm using aims to take advantage of other Quiver Dancers (yes, even Oricorios! Taunt prevents Dancer from copying Quiver Dancer), Chansey and many other defensive and offensive Pokemon (at max defense, this thing is surprisingly bulky!)
The Tera typing can really be whatever since it's just useful for hitting grounds and grasses without wasting a slot on Hurricane.
Haven't tried out the other forms yet but it's very likely they'll get the boot once we're out of Alpha.

Some other observations:

:copperajah: Very good Pokemon, being the only steel, it shouldn't be a surprise that it's good, SPDef with Stealth Rocks is probably its best set.

:medicham: / :passimian: / :tauros_paldea: All strong fighting types, Medicham is basically impossible to switch into consistently (especially with Tera Fighting) and destroys offense completely with its Scarf set. Passimian has all the coverage it would need and U-Turn + Knock Off. Finally, Tauros is the best one defensively, making use of Bulk Up and its better speed out of the three fighting types.

:bruxish: I didn't expect this thing to be this good, it hits like a truck with both Wave Crash and Psychic Fangs + priority in Aqua Jet, and that Fighting resistance actually comes in pretty handy often. Definitely don't overlook this fish, because it's shaping up to be a pretty formidable wall breaker.

:goodra: This is broken lol, only Copperajah and Chansey take its hits well and one doesn't have recovery and the other is exploitable as hell. It also can probably run other sets but that's the one I used, definitely banworthy.

:chansey: Not fond of it. Exploitable as ever, weak to Knock Off but I guess it still does its job relatively fineeee

:rotom: I haven't seen this one at all outside of me using it so I am gonna give it a shout-out for being a ghost with pivoting and electric STAB, that'll always come in handy.

:zoroark: Honestly has potential? Very fast for the tier, has U-Turn, STAB Knock Off, can cripple something with Trick...just don't rely on Illusion and you got yourself a pretty damn good mon.

:vaporeon: Wishes and hazes on special attackers like always

EDIT: Forgot to mention :klawf:, been trying to experiment with it as either a Stealth Rocker or an AV Mon that threatens setup sweepers, since the combination of Regenerator and Knock Off lets it take more hits than one would expect looking at its stat spread but I haven't been able to make it work just yet :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)