np: SV UU Stage 0 - Start of Something New (Hello SV UU!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early impressions are that Tinkaton is a metagame superstar utility machine and is part of the reason why Weavile feels not busted. Rain is strong and Gengar is silly. Pawmot doesn't need Revival Blessing to be good but boy is Revivial Blessing an incredible move. Finally Espathra doesn't belong in the tier and should probably be quickban numero uno.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
was in a call with fellow gaming connoisseurs dex and Brambane as they crafted a truly epic rain squad if you're not using this you should reconsider why you're playing UU it's a trip

https://pokepast.es/dd87907167a1529e

very fun metagame so far here's some quick thoughts

:espathra: broken
:lucario: tera normal espeed is a menace though idk if it is that bad or if the nature of the metagame just lets it thrive
:pelipper::barraskewda: rain is strong and has plenty of abusers but you have to be wary of opposing priority offense
:azumarill: lol
:cloyster: lol
:pawmot: i feel this is easy to punish since it mostly just wants to click revival blessing but depending on the scenario you may be unable to stop it
:mabosstiff: this has no switch-ins but isn't too hard to force out after the fact
:bisharp: eviolite is definitely one of the sets of all time, ig at the end of the day it is a bisharp it's not like the mon is a passive blob
:mimikyu: tera is very nice for this guy and disguise is useful for halting the progress of opposing offense, though you do get cloyster'd pretty hard
:pincurchin::hawlucha: .,

Iron Thorns @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast

Timid w/ 23 attack ivs activates booster energy speed. Turn 1 outspeeds and sets up all hazards. Run with defiant bisharp and ghost type plus a terra ghost somewhere and click buttons

Last edited:
I get to use my 2 favorite Pokémon, :quagsire: and :Masquerain:
Also there isn’t a Pokémon thread reservation but I want them

Last edited:

SCARLET AND VIOLET UU IS LIVE!
I hope you're all as excited as I am for the new adventure into Paldea! We have a lot of new and fun Pokemon to play with, so let's get right into it.

Amoonguss moved from New to OU
Annihilape moved from New to OU
Baxcalibur moved from New to OU
Breloom moved from New to OU
Ceruledge moved from New to OU
Chien-Pao moved from New to OU
Chi-Yu moved from New to OU
Clodsire moved from New to OU
Corviknight moved from New to OU
Cyclizar moved from New to OU
Ditto moved from New to OU
Dondozo moved from New to OU
Dragapult moved from New to OU
Dragonite moved from New to OU
Garchomp moved from New to OU
Garganacl moved from New to OU
Gholdengo moved from New to OU
Glimmora moved from New to OU
Great Tusk moved from New to OU
Grimmsnarl moved from New to OU
Iron Hands moved from New to OU
Iron Moth moved from New to OU
Iron Treads moved from New to OU
Iron Valiant moved from New to OU
Kingambit moved from New to OU
Lokix moved from New to OU
Maushold moved from New to OU
Meowscarada moved from New to OU
Orthworm moved from New to OU
Quaquaval moved from New to OU
Roaring Moon moved from New to OU
Scizor moved from New to OU
Skeledirge moved from New to OU
Ting-Lu moved from New to OU
Torkoal moved from New to OU
Toxapex moved from New to OU
Tyranitar moved from New to OU
Volcarona moved from New to OU

Anything not in the above spoiler is valid for use in SV UU, so go nuts! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with :D
Hi Lily, Hi other UU players !! Since UU is at an Alpha tier right now, everything I'm gonna tell is my personnal opinion and based on few games on the tier.

I wanted to honour Lily with her idea of a rain team since Pelipper fell in UU. She wanted to play around something else than Barraskewda without Flip Turn and found an awesome forgotten pokemon : Floatzel. This thing was a potential monster in OU, I think this pokemon definitely have his place in the actual UU. Let me explain :

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Liquidation
- Ice Spinner
- Aqua Jet

This is the most classic set you can make. First, we will put Wave Crash since it's his new toy, best water move. You still have Liquidation, because as Lily already said, it's better to be able to hit a water move without dying of recoil. Ice Spinner is here to beat the Grass and Dragon like Arboliva, Salamence, Noivern, Brute Bonnet, Wo-Chien, Scovilain... Aqua Jet is completing the moveset to be able to RK pokemons like Weavile, Bisharp, or anything with a priority who want to RK.
Adamant allow us to hit stronger, we don't need Jolly nature because of Swift Swim. Band combined with Tera Water + Rain + STAB make him hit strong. I saw this thing doing 90% to a Tera Grass Krookodile with Wave Crash...

Since i'm (a bit) original, I did not copy her team and tried to do something pleasant to play and not to bad.

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

I use Noivern as a defogger, because in this tier, they are not really common or really good. Other than him, I can only see Drifblim/Talonflame as ""relevant"". There are good Rapid Spin users, such as Foretress, Avalugg, Tsareena or Donphan, but they are all slow and I wanted something with a great speed and which was able to use Rain as his advantage.
DM and Hurricane are here for the STAB, with a full accuracy Hurricane which is awesome, with Roost and Defog, since it's one of the last who get these two moves together. Boots are here to boost his staying power.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch

I first wanted to play him for the Defog + Pain Split combo when I saw he lost both lol. But I still have it on the team because of Scarf + Trick combo, with Volt Turn and Hydro Pump on rain. WoW was the last thing I thought useful on his moveset. It's a simple scarf who can benefit of rain and pivot (With U-Turn on Pelipper too it's useful to be able to keep momentum). About Tera, I put Water one on him just in case Floatzel would be dead without using his Tera.

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Taunt

To be honest, when I tried to find a good SR setter, I thought to Krook, which always was a good pokemon in UU old metas with Intimidate. I know there is some other really good pokemon such as Bronzong, Donphan, Copperajah, Hippowdon... but Krook have Intimidate which allow him to pull out of the game.
SR + Earthquake as a STAB, with Taunt to prevent other slower SR setter to put their hazards, and as a filler move, Rock Slide to hit Flying pokemon since he lost KOff. I put Rocky Helmet to punish U-turn, Rapid Spin and physical moves in general, with Intimidate, it's not that bad, but you can put Leftovers, obviously.
The Tera Steel can be changed, I just though it could be a good idea but honestly, I just can see this to be useful vs fairy types... You don't want to Tera him, anyway.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Bullet Punch

Last but not least, Hariyama. I just wanted to play this mon so badly, so I'm clearly not objective on this one. I wanted to play something bulky, with strong moves and a priority, and I absolutely love Hariyama.
So, this is a classic AV set with Thick Fat, which allow you to tank a lot of boosted mons and RK them. Fake out can be surprising on Rain Team when you don't want to waste rain turns, but it don't bother in general. Close Combat is the best STAB he have, Drain Punch could be an idea but I'm not fan. Headlong Rush is here to hit strongly with Ground coverage, but since he still have KOff, don't hesitate to change. Bullet Punch is here because it's a priority and it's always useful. You can put Ice Punch, Thunder Punch... Whatever you want.

Obviously, with this team, I use Damp Rock Pelliper. Surf + Hurricane since he lost Defog and Roost.
Here is the Pokepast

Here are some replays (I'm not really high in the ladder but I think my opinion is still relevant) :
Game 1 (VS HO with Spikes/Screens Klefki)
Game 2 (VS someone who was clearly trying some things, Arboliva is here)
Game 3 (VS Really strong team, Salamence, Copperajah, Slither Wings...)

What are your thoughts about this team ? About Rain and Floatzel ? Do you think HO will be strong in this tier too ? What do you think will be banned quick ? (Is Staraptor finally UU for once in 1465485 years ?)
Sorry for my english, it's 3 in the morning and I'm not fluent lol

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
First impressions
:sv/tinkaton:
Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
This is my preferred set atm, good Espathra check, though 4th slot is often contested with options like twave or protect, but I've found SD works best since it allows you to boost up in front of things like Espathra and Hatterene and start hitting real hard even as a defensive mon. Feels like a pretty important answer to a lot of stuff, seems easy to fit and brings in valuable utility, probably gonna be one of the pillars of the format for a bit. I also like pairing it with Noivern since they cover each other's weaknesses pretty well and Noivern is most likely the best defogger we have. Also helps to have a pivot with Tinkaton which can't get momentum by itself.

:sv/sandy-shocks:
Sandy Shocks @ Leftovers/Choice Specs
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Spikes
Surprisingly haven't see a ton of people using this, yes it gets walled by heattom and Spdef Grounds can be annoying, but it has a really good speed tier, breaks through Tinkaton which is one of the main special walls rn and sets Spikes pretty effortlessly, especially if running lefties. You could prob tech Tera Blast Water too to break through everything but spdef gastro since it just volts on washtom.

:bw/bisharp:
Bisharp @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Night Slash
Eviolite Bisharp is pretty dumb lol. You can kinda use it for defensive utility now, but it lacks recovery and gets worn down quickly, especially since its HP is pretty low. Evio is probably better than Blackglasses or Life Orb because the boost is so big for no drawback, so yeah this is gonna be annoying to kill.

:bw/slowking:
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Chilly Reception
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam
This is the one bulky water I'm able to live with this gen, it's just very convenient to use, especially because of how hard it shuts rain down. Also pairs well with Cetitan in theory, though that mon's power is very disappointing without a Bdrum so it's harder to make work than you might think.

And here's some rapidfire
:espathra: Pretty dumb, has some answers at least. Until Fire Tera Blast starts popping up.
:pelipper: I don't like UU rain, especially with Kilowattrel, but Slowking and Gastro should be enough to keep the archetype in check.
:brute-bonnet: Looks unironically good, strong Sucker Punch, Spore and CC are all super good, it's bulky and hits hard, though the typing is painful to work with.
:kilowattrel: The UU Zapdos. I haven't seen many people experiment with high HP sets with Roost, but Kilowattrel has the potential to annoy some teams pretty well I feel. Just a shame it doesn't get Defog.
:gengar: Hits like really hard, even with Scarf. Can mess up defensive teams with either NP or Trick too. Seems very versatile and strong.
:pawmot: I feel like this mon isn't too hard to keep in check on its own so Revival Blessing seems fine, even if annoying. Half health mons are generally not gonna be that bad to deal with.
:wo-chien: I don't know if it's my teams, but this is super annoying to kill despite the typing. You can always tera into a better defensive type too and Knock Off+Leech Seed allows you to cripple at least 2 mons generally.

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Played a few games of UU so far and wanted to highlight Haxorus in particular who I think might have a legitimate role in this generation's UU potentially thanks to Mold Breaker and it being a solid candidate to use tera.

:Haxorus:
Life Orb
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Adamant Nature/Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Outrage/Close Combat

Real talk, this mon is actually kinda cool to use in UU right now and a decent tera mon that can either SD or DD since you can get milage out of it offensively and defensively. Steel is a good Tera for this since it can cover dragon's weaknesses and lets it get STAB on Iron Head which is a decent coverage option for Scream Tails and also lets it not get ganked by Weavile outright. Mold Breaker means it can actually EQ pokemon like Rotom-Wash or Bronzong and also bypass Sturdy alongside unaware which makes it a pretty big threat to stall that can still do well against offense. With that said, it does have a very awkward speed tier where it's not quite base 100 so DD sets need to be wary of base 100+ scarfers like Staraptor. It basically has a lot of the same issues it had in previous generations.

It did lose scale shot which was a massive blow for its SD set so SD lost a bit of it's luster although it does have First Impression which can help it bypass its iffy speed as an option. I've tried pairing DD :Haxorus: with :Toxtricity: which uses a Shift Gear set just to experiment as a breaker core and it's pretty cool as a physical/special wall-breaking core that can bully slower teams while still being functional as a late game cleaner against offensive teams. Both mons happen to be extremely good tera users so that is something worth noting. Also, would recommend having a defensive backbone on something like that since priority actually can and will give the pair a lot of issues.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Played a few games on the ladder so far, some preliminary thoughts:

1) Scream Tail is great speed control to have, as well as a solid special wall to some of the common monsters running around. So far I've shut down a lot of would be Espathras with this + Iron Jugulis
2) The one guy who used Eviolite Naclstack, you're a fucking monster and I appreciate the pick. Really solid option that basically shut down my whole ass team (I also keep forgetting Purifying Salt absorbs status, so that doesn't help)
3) Desperately trying to make Gallade good, probably won't happen with all these wild ass speedmons
4) Who the fuck let rain and its abusers in pls quickban lmao

overall impression of the metagame is very positive so far, espathra and hawlucha are the only obvious brokens imo, not a fan of tera but I can live with it for the time being. Some good defensive mons I've used so far are tsareena, tinkaton, gastrodon, and florges. calm mind florges is a mon I would recommend a lot that I haven't seen much, tsareena is a pretty good remover and azumarill answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)