Klinklang has been one of the most prominent threat in the ZeroUsed metagame for months. Its great bulk and excellent defensive typing offer it numberous setup opportunities notoriously on common defensive staples like Tangela, Articuno, and Alcremie. After a Shift Gear it can easily dismantle teams without a sturdy Steel-type resistant Pokemon with its powerful STAB Gear Grind. Indeed, most Pokemon are either too weak to take out a Shift Gear boosted Klinklang or too frail to survive a hit from it.
The main concern with Klinklang's Shift Gear sets is how difficult it is to answer them in the long run. With Toxic, Klinklang puts most of its checks like Stunfisk, Coalossal, and Alolan Persian on a timer, and it lets it reliably weaken even ones with reliable recovery like Palossand, Sableye, and Rapidash. Offensive teams also struggle to revenge kill Klinklang as it outspeeds every Choice Scarf user except for the rare Alolan Persian and doesn't get threatened by the most common priority moves in Thwackey's Grassy Glide and Piloswine's Ice shard, and can play around Sucker Punch with Substitute.
Furthermore, Klinklang is not limited to its Toxic set and has other options. Wild Charge tears through bulky Water-types like Qwilfish, Poliwrath, and Silvally-Water that can check quite well mono Gear Grind sets. Magnet Rise lets it take advantage of would be counters Ground-types like Alolan Dugtrio and Galarian Stunfisk. It can also run Facade to alleviate the weakness to Flame Body and Static users, letting it work even outside teams with a cleric.
That said, Klinklang can struggle to get into a position where it can clean. The high popularity of clerics like Articuno, Miltank, and Alcremie means it is hard for Klinklang to consistently make progress against the checks it cripples with Toxic, especially since they often carry a recovery move. They can often outlast Klinklang due to it relying solely on Leftovers to get its health back. This makes Klinklang particularly weak to any form of chip damage like Rocky Helmet from Miltank, Spikes, and coming into resisted attacks like Tangela's Giga Drain and Articuno's Freeze-Dry, and means it cannot afford to lose its item to Knock Off or Corrosive Gas.
- ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 77 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 77 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 81. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 77 GXE will suffice.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be ZUKK. For example, I might signup with the ladder account ZUKK Tuthur.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- The aspect being tested, Klinklang, will be allowed on the ladder.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- The suspect test will go on for about 11 days, lasting until September 15th at 8:00 PM GMT +2, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message me or anyone else on the ZU council. Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!
Avoid posting one-liners or posts that do not contribute to any discussion. They will be deleted.