Resource NU Creative / Underrated Sets

:ss/appletun: Creative / Underrated Sets :ss/arctovish:

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the NU metagame.​

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.​
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.​
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.​
  • It is able to successfully and consistently lure intended threats.​
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.​
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.​
  • It might be able to surprise and exploit Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.​
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in NU, for the sake of using it in NU.​
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.​
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.​
Some ground rules as well:
  • You must test your set before posting it here. Don't post something just because it "might" work, post it because it does. I'd recommend showing room tour replays or mid-to-high ladder replays over low ladder replays to prove your case.​
  • Include a readable format and description for all sets, explain what it does and why it's worth running in the metagame.​
  • Don't post joke or troll sets, this is for serious and competitive sets only (and I know what these sets are). Gimmick sets are A-OK if they are functional enough on a competitive team.​
  • Have fun!​

vikavolt.png

Vikavolt @ Throat Spray
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

This is a super fun late-game cleaner. Bug Buzz with Throat Spray gives you +1 special attack and you’re only revenge killed at +2 speed by Scarfers or something like Ninjask. You’ll need hazard removal to make this set work, as Vikavolt can get worn down quickly without Roost or Boots.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Here's some underrated (first two) and gimmicky (last two) sets I've used and had fun with on the ladder.

:drednaw: Lead Drednaw
Drednaw @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Bulldoze

What is in my opinion the most underrated lead atm, Drednaw has all the tools to start your battle of in your advantage. Against other suicide leads like Cursola, Golurk, and Sanda, Drednaw has a solid Liqudation or Bulldoze to take them out while setting up SR itself. Bulldoze and Head Smash means that Defog users like the Silvally forms or Skunktank have to watch out. It has some issues with Rapid Spin users like Eldegoss and the Hitmons, but both of those are easy patches with Cofag or Frosslass, and also have to worry about taking its STAB attacks not too well on the switch in; Goss and Hitmonchan both get 2HKO'd by Head Smash or Liqudation, respectively.

:rotom-fan: Wisp Hex Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Air Slash
- Hex

Ghost- and Flying-type coverage goes completely unresisted in the current NU meta; thats even better than its alternate form's Electic- and Ice-type STAB coverage! While Hex and Air Slash are a little weak, both Wisp and Nasty Plot give more room to for Fan to setup and wallbreak. With Wisp Hex support, Fan barely misses its Electric coverage, as it can punish and beat the Ground- and Electric-types that usually try to switch into it.

:hitmontop: Eject Pack Pivot
Hitmontop (M) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake

By giving up the very valuable Leftovers or HDB, Hitmontop can have a one-time pivot with its Close Combat. This allows it to switch into physical attackers like Scrrafty and CC when a defensive wall like Garb or Sanda tries to switch in, which can then bring in a strong special attacker like Specs Haunter or Drampa (or even Trapinch if thats still around). Beware of other Hitmon checks, especially Ghosts like Cofag and Golurk, as they will shutdown this method of pivoting quickly. It also makes Hitmon a worse hazard remover, so pairing it with a Defog user would help no doubt.

:orbeetle: Hypnosis-Blunder Orbeetle
Orbeetle @ Blunder Policy
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Bug Buzz

The double-dance Orbeetle sets tend to run Agility as a means to boost Speed, but Hypnosis and Blunder Policy can also work while providing the Sleep status for extra setup turns. Orbeetle is invested to outspeed Abomasnow and Adament Sanda with the EVs while still outspeeding scarf Toge at +2. The extra bulk allows it to survive Sucker Punches from Toxicroak and Skunktank, as well as have more room to fish for the Hypnosis hit or miss. Keep hazards off the field, and maybe try it on Veil.

Image result for golurk gif

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat

With generation 8, NU lost most of its Flying and Levitate Pokemon (only NU mons by usage are Haunter, Rotom and Unfezant) so being locked into Earthquake is actually not worrying, easing up on prediction. Golurk has a decent amount of utility with its bulk and typing to take advantage of slower / passive / choice locked pokemon and It's guaranteed to 2HKO everything at worst with its coverage.

Image result for rhydon gif

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance / Heat Crash / Megahorn / Toxic / Meme Move

Underrated spread from last gen that nobody uses anymore. Special Defense investment helps a so much if you don't care about outspeeding things. It gives you an easier time checking scarf Haunter, special skuntank. surviving specs draco meteor from drampa, blizzard from rotom and much more. :heart:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:ss/rotom-frost:
Rotom-Frost @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Most Rotom-F opt for Defog, Thunderbolt, or Will-O-Wisp as the last slot on Nasty Plot variants; I've messed around with Toxic a little as an alternative that better punishes Lanturn, and it's been pretty cool. I think it's admittedly worse than Will-O-Wisp because of the narrower scope of targets, but it's a fun tech that messes with the most stout defensive answer to Rotom-F.

:ss/silvally:
Silvally @ Life Orb
Ability: RKS System
Timid Nature
- Work Up
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Fun set I saw Davon use that I wanted to cop. Most Silvally run Choice Scarf or Swords Dance from my experience, but Work Up is a neat alternative that better handles most of the answers to it (Gourgeist, Rhydon, and Cofagrigus to name a few). It also breaks the broken sheep.

:ss/silvally-flying:
Silvally-Flying @ Flying Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

My favorite Silvally forme to use so far. This gives the best coverage I feel overall, and U-turn is good to pivot into something that stomps on Rhydon (I was using Swords Dance Perrserker on the team in question, but there are definitely other options).

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport
- Moonblast

My fav set to run on clef atm. You could run seismic toss for consistent damage but we all know Moonblast is broken even on weak mons like clef. Teleport allows clef to function as a slow bulky pivot while also passing wishes relatively safely. Basically pair this with something that can abuse poisons or choice locked haunter or any strong breaker.

1585227361518.png

Last edited:

Sjneider

swag to the yolo
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
stunfisk-galarian.jpg

Tear it apart (Stunfisk-Galar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Snap Trap
- Yawn

Introducing the Sjnunfisk, wanted to share the pancake set i used vs Expulso last week in NUPL bc I think this set is pretty cool. The idea behind this is very simple, snap trap + yawn forces sleep. This set is esp good vs teams with popular off-ers like rotoms, eldegoss since u can keep them up+ force sleep+ chip like ~50 ish %, which is just incredible mileage. Can definitely open the game up for something like scarf sawk.

Check out the set in action here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-494778

gif: pokemon gifs | WiffleGif

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Max def Clef makes for a surprisingly decent mixed wall. Now you're no longer directly forced out by a good chunk of stronger physical attackers (most notably Rapidash, Sandaconda, Gourgeist and Sivally) and have the option to cripple them / attack whilst avoiding 2HKO's unlike specially defensive variants.

252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 142-168 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252+ Def Cofagrigus Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 152-179 (44.1 - 52%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 120-142 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Sandaconda Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 105-124 (30.5 - 36%) -- 47.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Piloswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 109-130 (31.6 - 37.7%) -- 92.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Water Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 117-138 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 105-124 (30.5 - 36%) -- 49.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Ninjask Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 114-135 (33.1 - 39.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Wishiwashi-School Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 118-141 (34.3 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Stunfisk-Galar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 67-81 (19.4 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Drifblim @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Strength Sap

After experimenting with boots and defog i came to the conclusion that Drifblim is much better off with an offensive set. Can't remember if the french or the italians came up with this first but this set slaps. Icy Wind becomes a respectable 82.5 BP after Flare Boost and does good damage to shadow ball resists like Drampa and Unfezant. The speed lowering of Icy Wind combined with Strength Sap helps you take down faster mons like the Silvally's and Rapidash. Try it.

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
:swsh/cofagrigus:

Cofagrigus @ Room Service
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Fun gimmick. You win the coffin 1v1 under trick room and also become polter-proof'd , although that isn't very relevant now.

Sjneider

swag to the yolo
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
download.jpg

Vileplume
Ability: Effect Spore
Bold Nature
- Corrosive Gas
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Strength Sap

A very cool set that I think is worth trying out. I've seen a lot of filler on plumes 4th like Sleep Powder, Growth, Synthesis etc. but haven't really seen people use Corrosive Gas yet. For those who do not know, Corrosive Gas removes the target's item and is my personal favorite filler on plume. It is especially great at removing Leftovers from Bronzong/Copperajah that would normally "hard wall" plume otherwise, helping ur team break these bulky steels. A great progress maker and curveball to throw at ur opponents.

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1613279020832.png

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam​

Specsveon is one of my favorite underrated threats right now and a super powerful breaker in the tier. With perfect coverage in Fairy+Fire+Psychic in the tier, nothing can reliably switch in, especially not the Steel types that commonly switch into Sylveon. Psyshock also catches Salazzle, the only mon in the tier that resists the Fairy+Fire combo. Sylveon's naturally solid speed and bulk also let this come in easily on more defensive mons, majority of special moves in a pinch, or Fighting and Dark attacks, making it a reliable mon game in and game out. Oh, and Hyper Beam is a fantastic nuke in certain games, catching the KO on a bunch of mons that you would normally fail to knockout. It's a super underrated set that everyone should try.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
:ss/braviary:
BIRB (Braviary) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Roost
- Brave Bird
Actually created all the way back in BW NU, but this set is still amazing. Braviary has enough bulk when invested to set up a sub on almost all of the fat mons in the metagame and then snowball out of control so none of the offensive mons can deal with it. It only takes 1-2 bulk ups before you keep the sub against anything that would want to switch in. Mono-Flying coverage is still good enough to get the job done on everything, Steel and Rock types have no recovery and they can only take so many Brave Birds before they die. Speed is to outpace neutral base 65s, but you can run more bulk if you don't care. Bulk > Speed here, but don't be too slow. Just avoid Haze and you're good to go.

Braviary setting up on mons it has no right to set up on, then proceeds to win:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1280581510
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1280585575

Charizard @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge​

Belly Drum Charizard is a raidboss level sweeper that can take advantage of common defensive choices and find opportunities to set up a belly drum+flame charge to outspeed and OHKO just about everything. Some of these common meta choices I'm speaking of are Bronzong, Copper, Sylveon and Escavalier. The best way to beat this set is predicting the Zard switchin to your defensive mon and matching them with something that can OHKO. Frankly, there are some games you win just from team preview based on an unfavourable matchup From what I can find, the combination of Flying+Fire+Ground coverage is as perfect as you can ask for, either hitting for super effective damage or strong neutral damage.

Knowing your calcs and where you can be greedy is pretty important for using this set. It's definitely very aggressive and does not reward passivity.
I don't personally play it with screens because I find the playstyle really boring but it will obviously benefit greatly from that.

also: tru
2021-03-10 (2).png

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Throat Spray Exploud
:ss/exploud:
Exploud @ Throat Spray
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Exploud was originally hyped up as the replacement to Porygon-Z and Toxtricity but has proved to be underwhelming. One of its biggest flaws in the current metagame is the high usage of Steel-types and Diancie, meaning it doesn't get to use Boomburst much. This set gives Exploud the power of Choice Specs with the ability to switch moves so it can better play around defensive cores with Pokemon like Bronzong, Copperajah and Escavalier. Fire Blast is used over Overheat because you need to stay in to keep the boost.

Last edited:
SPECStacular Machamp

1618524483046.png

Machamp @ Choice Specs
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Vacuum Wave

This right here ladies and gentlemen, this is THE best fighter in the entier tier. No debate whatsoever. It can do massive damage, it never misses, AND is perfect for exterminating goons, pesky dinosaurs, heavy metallic creatures. The spread is... , well idk, I stole it from emvee's vid, but that's not the point. The point is, as shown in the replay below, specs machamp is goated.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1322201373-l3apstdbp6zllv1l2zz82pwt47e5d5opw - Machamp putting in WORK against Lilo

This one's for you GW, hopefully with the aid of this set you can actually become good at mons.
1618524952086.png

Mariannabelle

chill guy
Whimsicott @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic / Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Endeavor

Tired of Steels getting in the way of your [thing that gets walled by Steels?] Just use Whimsicott and annoyingly Sub up at them until you're nice and flimsy, then click good ol' Endeavor. Moonblast means you have something to finish stuff off with if you're ever alive after Endeavor, and Energy Ball is a cool attack too. Psychic lets you attack Poisons because those will also try to wall you.

With Bronzong/Copperajah/Whatever dead/nearly dead, nobody's stopping your Specs Espeon or Sylveon or whatever from wrecking shop. You should probably bring Dazzling Gleam on the former just for Guzzlord, though.

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Shedinja @ Choice Band
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Sneak
- Poltergeist
- X-Scissor

Shedinja is a great because it absolutely triggers your opponent; especially if you actually get use from it. The meta is not too hazard heavy, very little sandstorms and hail (Arctozolt might change that), and not many rocky helmets; thus it is prime shedinja meme grounds. This set is meant to get usage from inja in the most annoying way. Band lets you play for tricks on set up mons that like to switch in or mudsdales that like to press sr against you. If you maintain band, shadow sneak can act as a niche cleaner or a good answer to set-up sweepers that like to prey on the miniscule priority in the tier. The big point is that Copperajah struggles a lot against big poltergeists (85% to 2hko w/o band); as does anything that doesnt resist in a lower speed tier. I suggest pairing with starmie or blastoise and bringing at least two switch-ins to guzz.

Guaranteed switch-ins for wonder guard include: Arctozolt w/o hail, most Dragalges, lots of scarfers like flygon or pass (especially if you have identified the set doesnt have throat chop or knock off) or rotom-mow w/o wisp, Kindra w/o hurricane, comfy etc. Watch out for the rare gigaleth and rocky helmet garb tho.

Meteor Beam Diancie

Diancie_anime.png

Diancie @ Power Herb
Ability: Clear Body
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Beam
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire

Normally when you queue up against a diancie they have the standard Bodypress/diamondstorm/moonblast set. Great on balances and bulkier teams, but this version of diancie is better suited on more offensive teams. It works as a great late-game cleaner, being able to sweep weakened teams. This set utilizes power herb + Meteor beam along with Rock polish as it's primary sweeping tools. After a Rock polish, you're faster than many threats such as salazzle, talonflame, inteleon, starmie and many more. You also find many chances to set up, such as vs. the likes of talonflame, exploud, salazzle and many more. You also scare out many Pokemon, giving you opportunity to set up. Such instances include fighters, glastrier and tyrantrum. After a rock polish, you are able to OHKO many Pokemon that would otherwise outspeed and threaten heavy damage, such as starmie, offensive blastoise and inteleon. If you have already used up your meteor beam, no worries! +1 Moonblast still ohkos starmie, inteleon, braviary among other things. You can't ohko fire types anymore but it's not like they can hurt you back, giving you more opportunity to fire off strong meteor beams onto the opposing team. Mystical fire is great as well because you ohko rotom-c after rocks, you force heavy damage on steel types and you do more damage against the rare vileplume.

Of course this diancie set is not without its flaws. There's still a list of Pokemon capable of surviving a hit and firing back strong attacks in return. Most notably bronzong, copperajah, golurk and mudsdale. However, diancie can still get past these if they are chipped down enough. If any one of these are chipped down to below 60%, they risk being killed by a +1 attack. There's also another problem in that the most common scarfers, rotom-mow and flygon both revenge diancie. In these scenarios just try rock polishing twice, though that can be a little tricky at times.

Throw off scarfs and wear glasses

Talonflame @ Choice Specs
Ability: Gale Wings
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Toxic

Did you know?Talonflame get hurricane with SWSH new TRs.Say welcome to the 1st revenge killer in the tier.Thanks to specs boost,talon is able to pick off KOs on dangerous offensive with little chip needed.Gale Wings is the key of this set,allowing running modest and still outrunning everyone with priority most notably shell smash blastoise,agility critdra,dd flygon...yeah almost any HOs staples.Also able to lure common switchs to flame body defog set (mudsdale,rh flygon).
It needs some hazard control but gives good results !

:starmie:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 232-274 (88.8 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
:flygon:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 20 SpD Flygon: 238-282 (79 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
>Max hp
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Flygon: 238-282 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
:mudsdale:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mudsdale: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
:rotom-mow:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Mow: 192-226 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
:blastoise:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blastoise: 195-231 (65.2 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
:braviary:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Braviary: 256-303 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
:kingdra:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 211-250 (72.5 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
:vaporeon:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 40+ SpD Vaporeon: 186-219 (40 - 47.1%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
:dragalge:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Dragalge: 171-202 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:arcanine:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arcanine: 244-288 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:heliolisk:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Gale Wings Talonflame Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heliolisk: 107-126 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Here's replay from NU Open against HO (sadly hurricane didn't always hit) : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-556223

aggron___metal_burst_by_ishmam_d5n6agt-fullview.jpg

Aggron @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Metal Burst
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Probably works best on HO. Little prediction reliant because you're playing off the fact they're going to go w/ their big damage move vs you. Even vs something weaker, like a Mowtom VSwitch you're still returning 300+ damage to whoever they switch into. Custap then lets you smash to your death or get up rocks. Functions well enough against most common leads whether it be a rock setter or they lead off w/ something like Fetch or a strong pivot mon.

You're able to outslow 0 Spe Zong by 8 points.

Replay example of a successful trade

Last edited:
Eject Pack Duraludon:
1624960193590.png

Duraludon @ Eject Pack
1624959855410.png

Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 40 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Body Press
- Flash Cannon

I tried this set and I was pleasantly surprised about its effectiveness especially in HO. its access at DM + Eject Pack can be interesting in the tier. Flash Cannon is a great STAB who touch mons such as Diancie while B Press affects Steels .
216+ Spe for outspeed mons w 80s while 40 def is made for AV Coppe

40 Def Duraludon Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Copperajah: 182-216 (47.2 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Duraludon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Diancie: 268-324 (88.1 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Duraludon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Goodra: 284-336 (88.4 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (E belt goodra here)

Cm + Speed Swap Bronzong:
1624960560520.png

Bronzong @ Leftovers
1624960712163.png
/ Colbur Berry
1624960878694.png
/ No Items
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Body Press
- Psychic
- Speed Swap

Well this set is quite special. The idea is to beat Talon with Speed Swap + Heatproof while touching the steel types with B Press.
88 Spa allows to 2hko talon w psychic at +1 if you are speed swap otherwise talon can just spamming Roost I guess. Leftovers seems good for recovery, Colbur too for Knock Off and Itemless seems ok against Decidueye Poltergeist.

+1 88 SpA Bronzong Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 180-213 (50.1 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
168+ Def Bronzong Body Press vs. 156 HP / 0 Def Copperajah: 226-266 (53.3 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Copperajah Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Bronzong: 140-166 (41.4 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Heatproof Bronzong: 102-120 (30.1 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Decidueye:
Decidueye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Roost
- Defog
When thinking of Decidueye the standard sets that come to mind are sd/cb & specs. But in my opinion Decidueye also makes for a great defogger because it beats the three best Stealth Rocker in the tier aka Mudsdale, Bronzong & Diancie and can also act as a solid check to ID + Bpress Bronzong which is very threatening at the moment. It has a super versatile movepool with honorable mentions in Knock Off, U-turn & Toxic, each providing different utility options depending on your team and preference. Using no item to check Golurk / Dhelmise can also work.
It's not going to be a huge game changer but an underrated set nonetheless.​

pokemon-lunatone.gif

Credits to Skankovich for getting me hooked on this thing. It looks crazy at first but trust me, it's actually quite decent.

:ss/lunatone:

Lunatone @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Lunatone as a Pokemon doesn't appear very good or useful at a glance. However, it's not as bad as it seems. Lunatone in the meta is able to function as a strong Future Sight user. It's able to utilize its decent Special Attack to fire off big Future Sights, useful at pressuring the opposing side. It actually has quite a few switch-in opportunities as well. Being able to switch into the tier's fire types are pretty good, such as Salazzle, Arcanine and roosting Talonflame. It's also able to switch into Garbodor, Weezing, Mudsdale and more. Its coverage is also great, too. Moonblast hits Guzzlord hard, usually dealing 75%+, with the same for Scrafty. Things like Steel types and Drapion cannot reliably switch in due to Earth Power as well. I was able to use it effectively in the 1500 and 1600's for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Smack Down
- Payback

I have been using this set for a month or two now and it owns. Generally it is best off with Wish support or reliable hazard removal in order to compensate for the slight drop in defense investment when compared to the standard variant, but the trade-off offensively is huge. You are able to do a ton to Xatu, which opens up for SR opportunities as the game goes on or helping teammates like IDef Bronzong, choiced Fighters, etc. The damage output here is really good in general, too, allowing for Mudsdale to open up for physical attacking teammates, too. Just to attest to Payback's usefulness and some of the damage output, I will show a few relevant calcs below.

76+ Atk Mudsdale Payback (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Xatu: 204-242 (61 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76+ Atk Mudsdale Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76+ Atk Mudsdale Payback (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 260-306 (87.5 - 103%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)