Strategy & Metagame NU Pokemon that are better in RU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah another article

I'm basically going to be talking about the Pokemon that reside in NU, but perform better in RU than they do in their home tier. This idea did, admittedly, work better when hail was still allowed in RU, but I'm considering making a seperate section for the Hail Pokemon since it was only recently banned.

Standard:
Roselia
Zangoose
Tauros

Hail:
Rotom-F
Glaceon
Walrein

I'm also considering doing a section for Pokemon that are amazing in both tiers, and actually are better than most of the RU Pokemon themselves. This would involve Pokemon like Alomomola, Golurk and maybe Samurott (not sure if I'll do this section or not atm).

I can get the hail mons, since they had permanent hail in RU but not NU. With hail's banning, though, I'm not quite sure how much is really left. Can you quickly describe why Tauros, for example, would be better in RU than NU?

Most Pokemon will fare better in lower tiers just by nature of weaker / less bulky foes, but sometimes they find niches in a higher tier by being able to counter major threats or taking advantage of common field conditions that the lower tier might lack. I'm just curious how the Pokemon you mentioned would be better off in RU~

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't really say they're "better" in RU, most NU mons are there for a reason. HOWEVER, it's very clear that there are several NU mons that also can perform well in RU (like the RU RMT last issue where Oglemi used two NU dragons), so I'm sure one could write about several NU mons through the perspective of the RU tier. A change in title is in order, and like Jellicent said, hail is now banned and thus your NU examples aren't as viable without Snow Warning, but other than that, this would be for a good article that could help RU battlers to look below their tier for decent mons.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Lasagne21 We have yet to make a new WAWD for this issue, so it was only now I noticed that someone had actually submitted a similar article pitch (which I approved prior to Issue 29's release):

ScraftyIsTheBest said:
So basically, I'm going to list every one of NU's top threats, and give an explanation as to how they perform in the RU metagame. By Top threats, I'm basically going to take the ones that are S-Rank on the viability thread, and analyze first what basically makes them top tier in the NU tier, then get to just how they perform in RU; if they have any position or usefulness, and if they are good Pokemon in the tier. In short, this is rather similar to the OU/Uber article from issue 26, except this is on NU's Top threats, and how they perform in RU. This will then be followed by a conclusion, as always.
Now, while you didn't mention that you were going to focus on NU's S layer, am I correct to assume that many of the your picks would be chosen from there? If so, you might wanna contact ScraftyIsTheBest and see if he's open to co-operate with another writer. If you were planning to bring up pokemon in the A or B section, then maybe you should hold off to Issue 31 as we wouldn't like two articles with close to identical subjects (even if the featured mons wouldn't be).

So yeah, first come first served I'm afraid. :V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)