NU Stage 10 - Jynx Suspect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there.

Voters are as follows:

This thread's primary purpose to discuss Jynx. Everyone is welcome to participate in this discussion, though voting members are expected to post and participate. Examples of things that should be talked about in this thread: your experience with said threat (using it and facing it), what beats said threat, your opinion of its effect on the metagame (whether positive or negative), etc.

This thread will be closed in 3-4 days - please make your arguments and cases for or against Jynx in here. A thread will be posted in uhh Policy Review or wherever the usual voting takes place. Keep in mind that Raseri will be posting it, because I'll be out on vacation.

There was talk of having a time to discuss it on IRC; no specific time is not finalized, but feel free to discuss Jynx there (#neverused) whenever you like.

Definitely not a shameless c/p of the last thread. Nope.

Last edited:
Just going to write what I think people should realize about Jynx before voting on this suspect.

It is flat-out not broken. This may sound like a really strict and blatant statement, but it just isn't. Is it a great mon? Yes. With access to some really good dual STAB offensive moves, a sleep move to get rid of its checks and counters, and a coverage move or a setup move, its movepool is simply glorious. Tack on a water immunity and some great speed and you have one fantastic mon.

That's where the positive traits of Jynx end. Despite being really fast, Jynx is extremely susceptible to forms of physical priority with its godawful physical bulk. Not to mention, its weakness to Stealth Rock greatly hinders the survivability of it, further pushed over the edge if one goes with the LO set. Speaking of its survivability, good luck switching in on attacking moves, even resisted special hits because Rocks are still going to wearing you down constantly.

Another common complaint is that Jynx's checks and counters are really weak or gimmicky or that there are none. In reality, there is a really decent amount of mons you could be using to check Jynx that fill a wide variety of other roles on your team. Examples include Metang, (Stealth Rock setter, Flying and Normal check) Bronzor, (Great addition to stall teams and can boost with CM) Gurdurr, (Bulky Sweeper and Utility sets) Muk, (tounches) Specially defensive normals, and anything faster than it. These aren't exactly hard to come by, nor are they hard to fit on standard teams. It wouldn't even be uncommon to see 2 of these mons on the same team. Like I've said before, Jynx has certainly encouraged the use of certain mons, but all that Jynx has done is allow them to shine. All Jynx has done is add some diversity to our tier and made certain threatening mons easier to check. Examples include Serperior, Carracosta, Scolipede, Samurott, Alomomola, and more.

pls read, voters.

Edit: Added some details, I hope I addressed most of what Django was asking for.

Last edited:
First of all I'd like to talk about what banning is, and why it isn't something that should ever be done without serious consideration. Reading through the posts in the previous thread made me realize that a lot of people discussing banning Jynx were doing it for entirely the wrong reasons. I've collected a few quotes to illustrate some mistakes people have in banning Jynx

I'm no longer that certain that it needs to be banned, but I do believe that the metagame would be more enjoyable without it.
Banning things because the metagame might be better without it just isn't logical. This entire ban is about the metagame now and whether or not Jynx is broken in it. I am also very opposed to banning something that you don't think is broken, but you think makes the metagame not fun. Why? Because that is among the most subjective ways of voting there is. What you deem to be fun or not really doesn't matter at all if you're not 100% convinced its broken. I find Ludicolo to be no fun to play against, its good but no fun. Not banworthy. I don't see what is different with Jynx when its stated that you're not certain it needs to be banned.

If you're not 100% convinced that Jynx needs to be banned, it isn't broken. Banning something that you have second thoughts about just doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if Jynx is broken at all but i'm sure that before metagame was better since makes avalaible a lot of mons than the current metagame, the only bad thing about the past metagame was that "musharna staple"
I stole a bit of a post from JabbaTheGriffin in a blind voting thread that tells me why you should vote no ban on Jynx.

Remember, if you are unsure about a Suspect's tiering, do not vote to Abstain, vote Do Not Ban instead.
Banning a Pokemon is very serious, banning something because you don't like what it does to the metagame when you're not sure if its broken is illogical. Having a hazard abusing metagame isn't bad like you imply, you seem to be leanign towards a ban because the metagame is different than before, not because Jynx is broken.

I am adamantly against banning Jynx. I believe that checking her in this metagame isn't that difficult, and all the Pokemon that are used to defeat her have use against other threats in the tier. Being weak to stealth rock, u-turn, and pursuit also doesn't help her case.

I'll post more later, if you have any questions just let me know!

No one can deny that Jynx is possibly the biggest threat in the current metagame. Does that mean she's broken, however? Honestly, I think not. There are plenty of checks and counters that can deal with her easily. Her physical frailness is a big downfall in what she can succeed at. This makes her very weak to almost all priority (except Aqua Jet and to an extent Ice Shard, though even that does a decent chunk). Because of this, even Pokemon who are weak to one of Jynx's STABs like Gurdurr and Muk can beat her once she has a bit of chip damage done to her. Any faster physical Pokemon can almost guarantee a kill (Scolipede, scarf Primeape etc). Poor defense is one of Jynx's biggest drawbacks imo.

I'll probably say more at some other point, but I want to make it clear that I don't think Jynx is at all broken.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if I come off as a dick during this post!!

Just going to write what I think people should realize about Jynx before voting on this suspect.

It is flat-out not broken. This may sound like a really strict and blatant statement, but it just isn't. Is it a great mon? Yes. With access to some really good dual STAB offensive moves, a sleep move to get rid of its checks and counters, and a coverage move or a setup move, its movepool is simply glorious. Tack on a water immunity and some great speed and you have one fantastic mon.

That's where the positive traits of Jynx end. Despite being really fast, Jynx is extremely susceptible to forms of physical priority with its godawful physical bulk. Not to mention, its weakness to Stealth Rock greatly hinders the survivability of it, further pushed over the edge if one goes with the LO set. Speaking of its survivability, good luck switching in on attacking moves, even resisted special hits because Rocks are still going to wearing you down constantly.

Another common complaint is that Jynx's checks and counters are really weak or gimmicky or that there are none. In reality, there is a really decent amount of mons you could be using to check Jynx that fill a wide variety of other roles on your team. Like I've said before, Jynx has certainly encouraged the use of certain mons, but all that Jynx has done is allow them to shine. All Jynx has done, is add some diversity to our tier and made certain threatening mons easier to check.

pls read, voters.
You've listed the positive traits of Jynx - thanks. You've listed the negative traits of Jynx - thanks again. You've then made a bunch of statements about Jynx without providing a single shred of evidence. I could just go ahead and make the exact same post, but instead say:

"Another common complaint is that Jynx's checks and counters are really weak or gimmicky or that there are none. In reality, there is a really small of mons you could be using to check Jynx that fill absolutely 0 other roles on your team. Like I've said before, Jynx has certainly discouraged the use of certain mons, and all that Jynx has done is completely stop them from being viable. All Jynx has done is completely ruin a good NU metagame.

pls read, voters"

What sort of reasoning is this to base any sort of vote on? What voter in their right mind would read that and think "gee, he sure convinced me with a well reasoned argument". If you're going start off a post with "Jynx is flat out not broken", you better be damn sure you have some solid reasoning and evidence behind that.

First of all I'd like to talk about what banning is, and why it isn't something that should ever be done without serious consideration. Reading through the posts in the previous thread made me realize that a lot of people discussing banning Jynx were doing it for entirely the wrong reasons. I've collected a few quotes to illustrate some mistakes people have in banning Jynx

Banning things because the metagame might be better without it just isn't logical. This entire ban is about the metagame now and whether or not Jynx is broken in it. I am also very opposed to banning something that you don't think is broken, but you think makes the metagame not fun. Why? Because that is among the most subjective ways of voting there is. What you deem to be fun or not really doesn't matter at all if you're not 100% convinced its broken. I find Ludicolo to be no fun to play against, its good but no fun. Not banworthy. I don't see what is different with Jynx when its stated that you're not certain it needs to be banned.
I think that something being broken and something making the metagame "not fun" go hand in hand, and I think you're misinterpreting what people mean when they say "not fun". For me, a metagame which is fun is one that is competitive, and a competitive metagame will more than likely not contain any "broken" elements. I can't speak for the user who posted what you quoted, but for me the very notion of having fun while playing pkmn relates to something being broken or not.

Every suspect in Pokemon is completely subjective, since we've never attempted to mathematically prove whether or not something is broken. Sure we use damage calcs, usage stats etc, but at the end of the day they are just backing up a users subjective opinion on whether something is broken. We don't have degrees of subjectivity here, what we do is completely subjective.

If you're not 100% convinced that Jynx needs to be banned, it isn't broken. Banning something that you have second thoughts about just doesn't make sense.

Banning a Pokemon is very serious, banning something because you don't like what it does to the metagame when you're not sure if its broken is illogical. Having a hazard abusing metagame isn't bad like you imply, you seem to be leanign towards a ban because the metagame is different than before, not because Jynx is broken.
I agree with you about not being 100% convinced. You can't just ban something because of a whim. I don't get what your saying about hazards but w/e, I also agree you can't just ban Jynx because the meta is different. It has to be Jynx which is broken.

I am adamantly against banning Jynx. I believe that checking her in this metagame isn't that difficult, and all the Pokemon that are used to defeat her have use against other threats in the tier. Being weak to stealth rock, u-turn, and pursuit also doesn't help her case.
Speaking of subjectivity.

If people are going to make such sweeping claims can they at least back them up with evidence, and a bit more logical reasoning. I know you don't think its broken since you can check it, but I have no idea how you claim to check it, what those Pokemon actually do, and thus whether or not your assertion that Jynx isn't broken is based on solid reasoning or just something you've smoked up. I'm not trying to call you out Ras, I think you know more than most people that this type of reasoning without evidence can be harmful, particularly in a suspect thread when voters are trying to make up their mind about a suspect.

btw I do have an opinion on Jynx I just wanted to get this out there before more people just start claiming Jynx isn't broken without backing it up :/

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Like I've said before, Jynx has certainly discouraged the use of certain mons, and all that Jynx has done is completely stop them from being viable. All Jynx has done is completely ruin a good NU metagame.
can you list some of these "unviable mons" for our reference because i sure as hell can't think of any pokemon that has become unusable after jynx dropped into the tier.

also you're talking as if jynx was already deemed broken and makes the metagame unfun, but that's just the opinions of the pro-ban people. which set are you guys talking about that is broken? life orb? sub np? scarf?? why don't you list some evidence that it's actually broken?

i'm going to assume that you think lo 3 attacks is broken, since that's what pushed jynx over the top last time. first of all i don't get why you think that it is counterless when metang beats it when it switches into lovely kiss even when it doesn't have sleep talk. you have to hope for a long sleep while hitting 3 focus blasts in a row. if you switch out and come back later, you've taken 50% damage from stealth rocks and metang is still able to come back in later to wall you. even if you do manage to kill metang, you automatically lose momentum against offensive teams, and risk being trapped by the likes of scolipede and tauros. jynx rarely manages to get more than one kill against offensive teams unless you want to risk another one of your pokemon to take a huge hit on behalf of jynx. on stall teams its a different matter, but all stall teams should have one solid check to jynx. on my team i used wartortle, and it could take attacks well from jynx and toxic it, which basically ends it's life. what i'm trying to say is that jynx will rarely get more than one kill against any well built team.

time to take this one paragraph at a time.

I think that something being broken and something making the metagame "not fun" go hand in hand, and I think you're misinterpreting what people mean when they say "not fun". For me, a metagame which is fun is one that is competitive, and a competitive metagame will more than likely not contain any "broken" elements. I can't speak for the user who posted what you quoted, but for me the very notion of having fun while playing pkmn relates to something being broken or not.
You personally may have views that align "fun" with "competitiveness", and in your particular case that may make voting along those lines OK. But your views on the two do not necessarily speak for all of the voters. I want to make sure that people understand that we're voting on whether or not Jynx is broken, not whether or not Jynx is fun for the metagame. If by chance someone had a different view of what was fun in a metagame and voted on those standards, they wouldn't be voting for a competitive metagame at all. Again I would like to bring up Ludicolo (my personal bitchmon). I think it can make the metagame not fun, but I would never vote to ban it. Why? Because my personal views on fun and competitiveness do not align 100%. Only if they align 100% is it acceptable to vote for what you think is fun, because you're voting to change an entire metagame. I hope I explained this well enough, if I didn't I'll try again.

Every suspect in Pokemon is completely subjective, since we've never attempted to mathematically prove whether or not something is broken. Sure we use damage calcs, usage stats etc, but at the end of the day they are just backing up a users subjective opinion on whether something is broken. We don't have degrees of subjectivity here, what we do is completely subjective.
Oh of course it's subjective, but there are varying levels of subjectivity that need to be recognized. Banning because it's no fun is much more subjective than banning something because it has 0 counters. I know you understand this, and I hope the voters do as well. If there was an objective way to determine "brokenness" we wouldn't need a vote at all because it would be unanimous.

Of course that doesn't mean we can't analyse Jynx and try to remove the veil a little bit. I don't understand how you can say there isn't degrees of subjectivity here. A person who backs up their post with information and data, although still subjective, is in a completely different league from someone who supports a ban because they don't like the new metagame here.

Yeah it's subjective, but we can at least be smart about our subjectivity.

I agree with you about not being 100% convinced. You can't just ban something because of a whim. I don't get what your saying about hazards but w/e, I also agree you can't just ban Jynx because the meta is different. It has to be Jynx which is broken.
The hazards comment was another part of the post i was referencing. It basically stated that the new metagame was to hazard focused so we should ban Jynx. Which is very poor reasoning. I didn't want to litter my post with quotes. I'm glad we can agree on the rest though! :)

Speaking of subjectivity.

If people are going to make such sweeping claims can they at least back them up with evidence, and a bit more logical reasoning. I know you don't think its broken since you can check it, but I have no idea how you claim to check it, what those Pokemon actually do, and thus whether or not your assertion that Jynx isn't broken is based on solid reasoning or just something you've smoked up. I'm not trying to call you out Ras, I think you know more than most people that this type of reasoning without evidence can be harmful, particularly in a suspect thread when voters are trying to make up their mind about a suspect.

btw I do have an opinion on Jynx I just wanted to get this out there before more people just start claiming Jynx isn't broken without backing it up :/
Okie here we go. I was discussing the philosophy behind Jynx before throwing in my personal opinion as a little add-on at the end. Nice of you to go at that. Want a list of checks to Jynx? Here we go.

Scolipede
Kangaskhan
Musharna
Primeape
Seismitoad
Charizard
Serperior
Gurdurr
Tauros
Haunter
Metang
Piloswine
Zangoose
Liepard
Skuntank
Klang
Muk
Probopass
Regice
Wartortle
Electabuzz
Floatzel
Simipour
Simisage
Simisear
Bastiodon
Flareon
Grumpig
Hypno
Linoone
Magmar
Munchlax
Ninjask
Scraggy
Zebstrika

Now of course they aren't Jynx counters. Many of them are just Pokemon that can defeat Jynx if they get in at the right time. But on some level, these are Pokemon all capable of defeating Jynx. Is that a nice enough list of checks for you? Defensive teams will struggle more, but its not just Jynx they're struggling against, the metagame is working against stall as a whole. I can't justify banning a Pokemon that is so frail and not incredibly difficult to check. A lack of counters means nothing in gen 5. In this particular metagame, there are enough ways to defeat Jynx that she doesn't overwhelm the tier. She has made some Pokemon worse, but that has absolutely no bearing if she doesn't overwhelm the current tier. What I'm trying to say is that Jynx making Braviary worse means nothing, how good a Pokemon used to be should have 0 bearing on votes.

okie done for now

I've expressed most of my thoughts on Jynx and its impact on the metagame in my post in the now locked thread, but Raseri's post has really made me stop and think. I was heavily in support of banning Jynx, and would still be delighted not to have it in the tier. However, I now realize that my view on this was entirely subjective and personal, based off of personal preference.

I mainly wanted to ban it because I was repulsed by the way that a single Pokemon (ok Scolipede plays a big part in this too I guess) pretty much completely changed the metagame. I was under the notion that warping the entire tier around it is just overcentralization, but taking a closer look, I can see that NU now deals with Jynx remarkably well. The fact that it couldn't simply continue the way it was before saddened me, and I don't like the way that the metagame has shifted to a faster and more offensive approach dominated by Spikes, but I guess that's just the way it is. Raseri's points are good, as his extensive list of Pokemon that beat Jynx one on one, but most of all I appreciate him reminding me that if I'm not absolutely 100% sure if something is broken, then I shouldn't vote to ban it. I wasn't sure even before his post, but that settles it. Guess I'll vote to keep Jynx in the tier.

Edit: also don't everyone bite my head off here lol but I kind of wish we could have talked a bit about Riolu in the suspect thread; NU is pretty ill equipped to deal with the little rascal, considering ease of setting hazards, difficulty of getting rid of them, and lack of priority that actually outspeeds Riolu. The only one I can think of is Kangaskhan, but a good Riolu team easily deals with Kanga. Prankster users in Liepard in Volbeat also rarely have the room to run Taunt, while non Prankster Taunts dont work due to Protect and Copycat. I know this is only for Jynx discussion, but just something to keep in mind?

Last edited:

Django

is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okie first of all FLCL, I merely put that paragraph in there to prove a point about claiming something without giving evidence. I'm glad you responded though since it shows exactly what I meant to show - claims are completely meaningless without evidence. For the record my opinion isn't even the same as what you quoted. Also for the record I agree with you 100% about Metang; its a great check, and in the majority of cases will beat Jynx. Nothing to see here moving on.

Onto Raseri: OK fair enough, fun =/= competitive to you completely. If thats not the case then obviously you shouldn't vote like that, and I trust our voters are smart enough to realise this. I should probably expand on what I mean by fun. When I say fun == competitive what I mean is that if a tier is competitively balanced then it will, by definition, be a fun one to play. Conversely, if it is not competitive as it contains one or several broken elements, then it won't be fun to play. It might be fun for a few games sure, but playing it for a significant amount of time and dealing with the broken elements (lets say we put Rayquaza in NU) will not be fun after time, as it causes every single game to be based around that broken element and either using or beating it. So yeah, people have different opinions on what is fun to them, but I think we can all agree on what would NOT be fun. Anyway, lets move on!

About degrees of subjectivity: agreed there is a difference between basing your reasons for banning Jynx on data and logic rather than just "Jynx is black lets ban it". The point I'm trying to make is that at the end of the day our opinions are still subjective, and so telling someone else theirs is invalid because they are being subjective is kind of a shakey leg to stand on. Sure you might be less subjective than they are, but it's still subjectivity. tl;dr I'm bad at wording stuff suspecting is all subjective lets accept that and move on.

I didn't mean to go at you :( You asked if people had anymore questions and I did: what is your reasoning? Sorry if it came off badly!

Anyway, that is indeed a nice list of checks. Something which I notice about the ~majority~ of them is that they will struggle to switch in to Jynx. Certain Pokemon like Hypno and Grumpig will manage, sure, but I would argue that these are, by and large, sub par Pokemon which are outclassed by Musharna (and Gardevoir) in the extreme. They also struggle to fit onto a large amount of team archetypes. Yes they do have some redeeming features (Thick Fat and Insomnia are great) I still don't think it justifies using them over other Psychics in the tier, despite their uses against Jynx. But anyway, I am not here to argue specific counters and checks, since we could go on about that forever (and even if a Pokemon has checks and counter, it can still be deemed broken - Darkrai in OU is countered by Scarf Sleep Talk Heracross - but I'm rambling).

What I DO want to argue is that Jynx's presence in the metagame is a negative one. Whether or not it is negative enough to be banned I don't know. Voters can decide that. I just want to point out several things which Jynx does to the tier which I deem to be negative. If you disagree that's fine, but that's just like, your opinion man. Seriously though if you disagree I want to hear why :)

1. Sleep: I think we can all agree that Sleep in BW is pretty much complete bullshit. The incredibly offensive nature of all of the BW tiers mean that once a Pokemon is put to Sleep it will, in a lot of games, not wake up. This makes reliable Sleep moves incredibly powerful (even Semi-reliable ones such as Lovely Kiss) since you essentially has a 75% chance to remove a Pokemon from the game. This places a much greater emphasis on abilities that counter Sleep (Insomnia etc) as well as Sleep Talk. "So what?" I hear you cry. Well, for one, the Pokemon that carry the Sleep countering abilities are either a) shit at switching into Jynx or b) bad or outclassed Pokemon in general. Sleep Talk is also a poor move on most Pokemon, especially due to the way ResTalk sucks this gen, and using a precious moveslot on this is something I would hate to do. "Why does this all matter??" I hear everyone screaming. Because we are playing to win. We build teams with the intention of maximizing our chances of winning. By running these abilities on sub par Pokemon (using Hypno over Musharna for example) we are lowering our chances of winning. This is because against every team that does not have Jynx, Musharna will give you a greater chance to win. Similarly, against any team that doesn't have Jynx, Sleep Talk will be a waste of a moveslot, and your chances of winning have lowered since you're playing with 23 moves instead of the opponents 24. "But Jynx isn't the first sleep user in NU!!" Of course not. But this brings me to point number 2...

2. It's Speed: Jynx is, by NU standards, fast. Base 95 outspeeds a large majority of the metagame and while there are a number of great Pokemon faster than Jynx, there will still be something on your team that Jynx is faster than. This is the key difference between Jynx and other sleepers (ignoring Jumpluff for the moment, I'll get to that later...) because it immediately threatens your team with Sleep when it comes out. Something like Tangela, on the other hand, is much less likely to outspeed the Pokemon it is facing and thus becomes easier to deal with in terms of sleep. The effect of this on the metagame is that base 95 becomes the speed to beat, considerably more difficult to do than base 80 or so. This places a much higher value on anything that is faster than Jynx (as a large portion of Raseri's list was), and, in general, the faster you go the frailer you are. This can mean that many teams are now built around Speed (a very easy way to deal with Jynx!), and thus the metagame becomes faster, frailer - to a degree which I believe to be negative. At a certain point everything is so frail that games can descend into the "I kill you you kill me I kill you" games which I think are part of the least skillful (read: competitive) games that can exist in Pokemon. Now, the fact is that faster sleepers exist, so why hasn't this happened before? On to number 3...

3. It's power and versatility: The key difference between say, Jumpluff and Jynx, is that Jynx provides an immediate and powerful threat to your team with its high offensive stats and base power STABS (as well as coverage with Focus Blast). Jumpluff requires turns to set up before it's threatening, or it just SubSeeds and no one cares. To prove this look at the list Raseri gave, how many will enjoy switching into either of Ice Beam, Psychic/Psyshock, or Focus Blast? Not a lot. This leaves you stuck between a rock and a hard place: do I switch out and get slept (risking being hit with powerful attacks) or do I stay in and take the same risk? This is just the effect of its power. Its versatility, on the other hand, can mean that switching in death fodder to what you thought was LO + 3 Attacks, can now be a disaster because it just used Sub and your dealing with Sub NP. Now, LOTS of Pokemon force this same issue (risking staying in vs switching out, as well as having multiple sets i.e. Samurott) but the issue is that if you get it wrong, Jynx punishes you so much harder. Predicting the wrong set puts you so much further behind than it would vs Samurott. Similarly, the lack of really solid switch ins means that its much harder to reliably deal with the LO 3 Attacks set without either overly preparing for it or running specific counters like Metang. Further, the advantage in the risk vs reward situation is so much in favor of the Jynx user. Lovely Kiss combined with the rest of Jynx's qualities mean its such a low risk to just throw out a Lovely Kiss, and if it connects you've crippled one Pokemon and can likely do so to another with one of your powerful attacks. Now, the reason I think this is bad for the tier is similar to Sleep: We are trying to maximize our chances of winning, and the number of sets Jynx can run, along with the power of those sets, means we have to overprepare for them (at least I find myself doing so) and thus leave ourselves open to a large number of other threats.

Now, none of these things alone are necessarily bad. It is the combination of all three which causes Jynx to have, what I believe to be, a negative effect on the metagame. The reliance on anti-sleep factors causes inferior Pokemon to gain usage where they really shouldn't, and can leave you vulnerable to any team without a Jynx, it's Speed creates a much faster metagame with lots of frailer Pokemon, creating an unenjoyable "I kill you you kill me" metagame, and its overwhelming versatility means it can be almost impossible to prepare for all the sets adequetely. I might be overestimating these effects, but this is the way I see it, and I have a pretty large feeling a lot of you will disagree with me, but oh well.

A metagame changing is, of course, not necessarily a bad thing. However, when it DOES change, you have to look at why and how it has changed, and decide whether or not those changes are a positive or negative thing.

edit: Holy shit this is long i am deeply sorry

Django I promise to respond to you tonight :) you raise very valid points that I can't wait to talk about! (I just have to leave for work soon)

I just wanted to let you guys know of a few things that have been decided on by me and Zeb. The voting thread should go up this weekend (note to self get permission to post there). And, we may still choose more voters! If you are not currently chosen to vote, but make superstar posts in this thread you might still be added. This will cap at 2 people being added at most, and likely no one will be at all, but it is a possibility. The opposite is true as well, if you are a current voter and post like an idiot and make me question your sanity, I WILL remove your vote. Thank you and everyone keep posting!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going to comment on Django's rant on Jynx because it brings up many important points I want to address.

1. Sleep: I think we can all agree that Sleep in BW is pretty much complete bullshit. The incredibly offensive nature of all of the BW tiers mean that once a Pokemon is put to Sleep it will, in a lot of games, not wake up. This makes reliable Sleep moves incredibly powerful (even Semi-reliable ones such as Lovely Kiss) since you essentially has a 75% chance to remove a Pokemon from the game. This places a much greater emphasis on abilities that counter Sleep (Insomnia etc) as well as Sleep Talk. "So what?" I hear you cry. Well, for one, the Pokemon that carry the Sleep countering abilities are either a) shit at switching into Jynx or b) bad or outclassed Pokemon in general. Sleep Talk is also a poor move on most Pokemon, especially due to the way ResTalk sucks this gen, and using a precious moveslot on this is something I would hate to do. "Why does this all matter??" I hear everyone screaming. Because we are playing to win. We build teams with the intention of maximizing our chances of winning. By running these abilities on sub par Pokemon (using Hypno over Musharna for example) we are lowering our chances of winning. This is because against every team that does not have Jynx, Musharna will give you a greater chance to win. Similarly, against any team that doesn't have Jynx, Sleep Talk will be a waste of a moveslot, and your chances of winning have lowered since you're playing with 23 moves instead of the opponents 24. "But Jynx isn't the first sleep user in NU!!" Of course not. But this brings me to point number 2...
I really want to emphasize this point because it's my main beef against Jynx. Not the sweeping prowess, because while impressive it does have many checks that work by outspeeding it by natural speed, priority, or Scarf. Rather, it's Jynx's potential for a two for one. FLCL mentioned that on any well built team, Jynx won't be killing more than one pokemon. And given his reasoning, I can see where he is coming from, although the implications of a pokemon battle mean that anything can happen, and an equally well built team with Jynx has the opportunity to sweep even more given the circumstances of the matchup and battle. However, this is not factoring in the mechanics of Sleep in 5th gen, where even by sleeping a pokemon with Sleep Talk, you are heavily decreasing it's usefulness on the opposing team, and many times it will not wake up, giving you free turns to keep up your offensive pressure -- not just with Jynx, but with complimentary sweepers.

In competitive gaming in general, and not just pokemon, the concept of a two for one is usually a make or break point in terms of being "broken". I don't know how many people play Yu Gi Oh, but Pot of Greed was a two for one card in which there was practically no reason not to run it in a deck because it gave you more value than it was worth putting in your deck. In 4th gen, I had great success with a core of Explosion Pokemon because at least one of them would net me two kills for the price of one. If a pokemon is able to render two pokemon useless at the expense of just one pokemon, then you immediately put yourself at an advantage simply by using Jynx. Sorry if my non-pokemon example sucks, but this is what I'm seeing here. If you play Jynx well, you are guaranteed at least one thing gone, whether it be through sleep or through attacking, many times you can even get two. Sometimes, sleep can be arguably worse than having a pokemon fainted, because it gives you an opportunity to set up on said Pokemon should the opportunity arise.

2. It's Speed: Jynx is, by NU standards, fast. Base 95 outspeeds a large majority of the metagame and while there are a number of great Pokemon faster than Jynx, there will still be something on your team that Jynx is faster than. This is the key difference between Jynx and other sleepers (ignoring Jumpluff for the moment, I'll get to that later...) because it immediately threatens your team with Sleep when it comes out. Something like Tangela, on the other hand, is much less likely to outspeed the Pokemon it is facing and thus becomes easier to deal with in terms of sleep. The effect of this on the metagame is that base 95 becomes the speed to beat, considerably more difficult to do than base 80 or so. This places a much higher value on anything that is faster than Jynx (as a large portion of Raseri's list was), and, in general, the faster you go the frailer you are. This can mean that many teams are now built around Speed (a very easy way to deal with Jynx!), and thus the metagame becomes faster, frailer - to a degree which I believe to be negative. At a certain point everything is so frail that games can descend into the "I kill you you kill me I kill you" games which I think are part of the least skillful (read: competitive) games that can exist in Pokemon. Now, the fact is that faster sleepers exist, so why hasn't this happened before? On to number 3...
The concept of Speed tiers isn't foreign to 5th gen at all; off the top of my head Excadrill and Torndus-T gave everyone headaches in OU. Lo and behold, they are Ubers now. I'm not trying to parallel their case with Jynx's case because Jynx is obviously much more frail than those two, but Jynx makes the NU metagame more speed dependent because of how crucial the 95 speed slot is.

However, I don't think 95 speed is that diffucult to beat. Even in NU, running Scarf on most Pokemon let you outspeed base 95. The magic number to hit is 318. That means you need 212 speed on a scarfer to outrun Jynx. Anything base 50 and above in NU has the potential to outspeed it with a Scarf. And there are many, many viable Scarf users in NU that can do more than simply beat Jynx, because most Scarf users are simply checks to Jynx -- and that's all you need. Swellow, Zebstrika, Electrode, Floatzel, Tauros, Charizard, Simisear, Scolipede all come to mind as pokemon that don't even need to run Scarf to beat Jynx.

While I think that Speed is an important factor to assess, my personal opinion is that Jynx's speed is manageable and isn't unhealthy for NU. However, that's my opinion -- and I respect your opinion too.

3. It's power and versatility: The key difference between say, Jumpluff and Jynx, is that Jynx provides an immediate and powerful threat to your team with its high offensive stats and base power STABS (as well as coverage with Focus Blast). Jumpluff requires turns to set up before it's threatening, or it just SubSeeds and no one cares. To prove this look at the list Raseri gave, how many will enjoy switching into either of Ice Beam, Psychic/Psyshock, or Focus Blast? Not a lot. This leaves you stuck between a rock and a hard place: do I switch out and get slept (risking being hit with powerful attacks) or do I stay in and take the same risk? This is just the effect of its power. Its versatility, on the other hand, can mean that switching in death fodder to what you thought was LO + 3 Attacks, can now be a disaster because it just used Sub and your dealing with Sub NP. Now, LOTS of Pokemon force this same issue (risking staying in vs switching out, as well as having multiple sets i.e. Samurott) but the issue is that if you get it wrong, Jynx punishes you so much harder. Predicting the wrong set puts you so much further behind than it would vs Samurott. Similarly, the lack of really solid switch ins means that its much harder to reliably deal with the LO 3 Attacks set without either overly preparing for it or running specific counters like Metang. Further, the advantage in the risk vs reward situation is so much in favor of the Jynx user. Lovely Kiss combined with the rest of Jynx's qualities mean its such a low risk to just throw out a Lovely Kiss, and if it connects you've crippled one Pokemon and can likely do so to another with one of your powerful attacks. Now, the reason I think this is bad for the tier is similar to Sleep: We are trying to maximize our chances of winning, and the number of sets Jynx can run, along with the power of those sets, means we have to overprepare for them (at least I find myself doing so) and thus leave ourselves open to a large number of other threats.
I agree that Jynx has lots of different sets it can run, but I don't feel its versatility is unhealthy. If it's a scarfer, it's going to switch out a lot more than if it was LO. That leaves you more susceptible to residual damage via Rocks. If it's Sub NP, its coverage is hindered, and it is also without Lovely Kiss. Steels make a great response to this, as things like Bastiodon are now true hard counters to Jynx. If it's LO + 3 attacks, you can beat it with speed, which as I discussed before, shouldn't be too hard considering the nature of NU at the moment.

But I understand that your argument seems to be that the unpredictability of the sets and the punishment you get from guessing wrong seems to make it broken. My opinion is this: such is the nature of Pokemon. You see many tournament teams running lures and surprise factors in order to catch the opponent off guard. Additionally, bringing Jynx in on certain pokemon may hint as to what set it is, primarily with the choiced items. If you bring in Jynx on something normally faster than it, then I know you are probably scarfed.

My take on it is this: trying to figure out what set your opponent is running adds to the competitiveness of the game. Factors such as what pokemon he's brought in already and what he brings Jynx in on give you hints as to what set the Jynx is running, and it's our responsibility as seasoned battlers to catch these hints and clues to make the best personal decision. Even if things seem to be unpredictable, many times more often than not, they actually are predictable.
---
tl;dr, I really like the points that Django brought up, as I think these are the main factors concerning Jynx and I think he covered all of them thoroughly.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that Django does bring up a lot of good points as to why someone might want to vote to ban Jynx. All of those things are definitely annoying qualities of Jynx, and I would love it if I could vote to ban it because of all of that. However, while those factors alone easily make Jynx banworthy, there are also things that hold Jynx back from being a huge broken threat and something that we would absolutely need to dispose of.

First off, Jynx cannot get a free switch into almost anything in NU. Yes, if you are lucky, you can bring Jynx in against a Water-type move and not only find a free switch, but also recover the damage taken from Stealth Rock upon switching in. The issue here is that one of the only Water-type Pokemon that can't really do much to Jynx—Wartortle—can carry Toxic (or even Gyro Ball '<') to make its life immediately harder than it was before. Very few Pokemon carry Water-type moves that don't get STAB on them, and Scolipede, one of the few who does, can obviously OHKO it without much hassle. Aside from this, almost every physical attacker can either OHKO or deal serious damage to Jynx, and most special attackers usually have something to hit it for super effective damage or carry some type of status move. Of course, having a Pokemon that has trouble switching in does not make it bad by any means. There are other ways of obtaining a free switch, whether it be a slow U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch or through coming in after a teammate has fainted. Obviously getting Jynx into play isn't the easiest, but again, it's not impossible.

So what do you do once Jynx has entered the battlefield? This is one of the things that makes Jynx arguably broken and such a bitch for stall teams that don't carry a defensive counter for Jynx (since there aren't that many of them). Obviously you'll probably have to fodder something off to a Trick and/or Lovely Kiss, which is never fun. Trick is really hard to deal with since there's no way of knowing whether or not it's coming unless you happen to have something out that knows Protect. Lovely Kiss is both harder and easier to deal with. It's harder because if you switch in something to sleep fodder and it dies, you're down a Pokemon. It's also harder because if you don't carry something that is easy to sleep fodder or you don't carry a Heal Bell user, especially against offensive teams that offer few free switches, you're pretty much fucked out of whatever Pokemon gets put to sleep. But this is for defensive teams where I'd argue that a Trick is more dangerous than a Lovely Kiss because Heal Bell users aren't exactly -difficult- to come by on stall/defensive teams. Trick can ruin one of your Pokemon, especially if it catches you off guard.

The reason why I am emphasizing against defensive teams is because I've rarely had an issue with Jynx on offensive teams. It's really not THAT difficult to keep up offensive pressure and make sure Jynx doesn't get a free switch. Yes, you are going to have to carry faster Pokemon on your team than what you used to be able to if you want to be well-equipped to handle it, but that's not even that big of a deal. Sawk, Braviary, Rotom-A, etc. are all still incredibly viable Pokemon, but they are harder to fit on a team now versus before when Jynx was not in the tier. You might argue that this is a bad thing because now you are required to use frail offense in order to beat Jynx, but this isn't even the case. In fact, I would argue that the presence of faster, frailer threats, such as Primeape, Jynx, Charizard (which isn't really frail but the Stealth Rock weakness makes it hard to tell), etc. has provided a huge boon to stall and bulky offense, as the sheer power of huge threats like Sawk, Gardevoir, and Braviary is less of an issue now than what it used to be. I have primarily been running bulky offense lately because the tier is filled with viable Pokemon that prosper in this playstyle, and it rarely if ever gets boring for me for that reason. On top of that, with faster Pokemon that don't hit as hard becoming more and more common, it's so much easier to check and counter them than what it used to be.

jynx irl

Something else that was brought up multiple times in the previous thread that I wanted to bring back up is that Jynx is really easy to wear down. Upon setting Stealth Rock, Jynx will have four switches if it's not running 4 HP EVs (which for some reason is pretty common). Leftovers Jynx gets more, but it also doesn't hit as hard without a boost which is difficult to attain. Life Orb Jynx, its most powerful set, gets even less than that. This wouldn't be a very big deal if it was really difficult to force a switch against Jynx, but because of its inability to take even neutral hits and the fact that its Speed isn't by any means impossible to beat, it's not at all -that- difficult to force it out. On top of all of this, the second you get up a layer of Spikes, it can switch in three times at the most. Setting a layer or two of Spikes has gotten so much easier with the presence of Scolipede (and of course, Roselia and Garbodor aren't rare either). With Life Orb, hazards, and an ability to switch in on almost any offensive move, Jynx is just inherently easier to beat now than what I'm sure it was back when it was originally banned.

In the end, I agree with everything in Django's post. It's all valid. But it's also not taking into account all of the pressures surrounding Jynx. There are plenty of Pokemon that outspeed Jynx which have always been plenty viable but now are often chosen over previously dominant threats. Even some defensive Pokemon have a good matchup against it. For specific examples of these, see Raseri's list. I can honestly say that while I would typically prefer to run Musharna over Grumpig or Hypno, neither of them are garbage Pokemon. Grumpig walls Charizard barring the rare Swords Dance sets in addition to Jynx and offers both Heal Bell support and phazing. This is pretty huge for stall, as both of these Pokemon are very threatening and can be covered in one teamslot, something which Musharna cannot do, while also providing concrete support for the team in the form of phazing. The main thing that makes Musharna a strictly better Pokemon is its access to reliable recovery and superior physical bulk. I don't really know about Hypno because I've never used it, but I know that it can use Wish which is really nice! Munchlax also handles Jynx pretty easily, and it's really not as bad as everyone (including me!) used to say it was. Another thing I want to bring up about these Pokemon is that you aren't being forced to use them in order to beat Jynx; these are just the ones that TECHNICALLY do it the most reliably. If people were really being forced to use these Pokemon in order to defeat Jynx, they wouldn't be in the 100s in usage.

Jynx is a really powerful Pokemon with a really powerful sleep-inducing move. It has left a clear impact on the metagame thanks to its Speed to beat and its power to wall. I feel like it's without a doubt the easiest one to vote to ban, but I'm apprehensive because the flaws that hold Jynx back are really prominent and not easy to brush aside with something like Pursuit support from Tyranitar a la Landorus in OU. Using a spinner to handle hazards in order to give Jynx more switches into the battlefield is often more of a waste than it is a benefit. There are so few ways of circumventing the hazards that wear Jynx down. There's almost no way to bring in Jynx without losing a Pokemon. Once Jynx DOES get in and has put something to sleep, it's basically kill or be killed. These are big enough issues on their own to keep me from feeling secure in voting to ban Jynx and are the main reasons why it will be hard to change my mind on the matter when I do cast my vote (assuming I get to keep it, of course).

tl;dr Django has good points about what makes Jynx good but not about what I feel keeps it from being broken

EDIT: yo I am reading DTC's post now and I realized that I forgot to mention something in this slew of a post that I hope he didn't already mention but that I feel is really important to bring up. Jynx is great offensively and bad defensively, as we all know. But one of the things about it is that this makes Jynx a Pokemon that is not easy to slap onto any team. Even offensive teams need -some- kind of synergy behind them, and Jynx's lack of both bulk and resistances make this hard to do. The only saving grace in this regard is its Water immunity which I already explained to be less stellar than it may seem. Add onto that a Stealth Rock weakness, and you're going to be even more pressed for teammates, especially offensive ones, as having multiple Stealth Rock weak Pokemon makes it even easier for your opponent to put defensive pressure on your team. It's not like Genesect where it actually has a lot of resistances and few weaknesses or even Landorus that had two immunities and a few good resistances. If you are going to use Jynx on a team, you pigeon-hole yourself a bit into what partners you can effectively use with it. This is something that was really noticeable for me when I was building my team for the NU STABmons tournament. I found myself cutting Jynx because it was simply too difficult not to use multiple Pokemon that were weak to Stealth Rock (that, and I already had two that were weak to it as it was and really did not want to add a third, so I ended up scrapping Jynx and another mon for mons not weak to Stealth Rock that could come in on some free switches from my teammates). This isn't to say that this alone makes Jynx not broken, but it's a huge thing to consider when teambuilding; you can't just use anything and everything with Jynx unless you want to build a team with six mons that just hit really hard, which in my experience, works a lot better in OU than in NU.

Last edited:

I think both Django and Plus raise very good points. That said, I still do not think Jynx is broken, as will be explained throughout this post.

The fast sleep inducing combined with Jynx's offensive presence is the main reason why some people want Jynx banned. I agree that these two factors are extremely devastating together, but I think the flaws Jynx has are enough to make Jynx not ban worthy.

Jynx, as a fragile Pokemon with multiple weaknesses, is naturally forced to "hit-and-run". As a "hit-and-run" Pokemon, it is inefficient at its job; it is Stealth Rock, U-turn, and Pursuit weak. These three weaknesses are huge for a Pokemon that wants to come in and attack and then go right the hell out. The Stealth Rock weakness means Jynx can not come in very often; the U-turn weakness means you can either kill it with the revenger or obtain momentum; and the Pursuit weakness allows you to get a guaranteed kill on her.

Jynx also has the issue of having trouble dealing damage. What do I mean by that? I mean that she struggles to switch in, and has to KO the Pokemon, otherwise she will either die, be massively crippled, or in the best case scenario, take 40% from some special attack, which is still significant. Switching in with Jynx is a very risky business, as she lacks resistances and will be punished heavily by mispredicting (this includes situations switching in and while attacking with Jynx). Lots of Pokemon are punished when they mispredict, but this problem for Jynx is exemplified by her fragility.

Now let me address the issue of sleep regarding Jynx. Saying sleep is "practically" a KO is an exaggeration. Lum Berry, Sleep Talk, and Heal Bell are all good options (especially Heal Bell) for dealing with Jynx. Heal Bell has an extremely wide distribution and many NU Pokemon can use it to great effect. Offensive teams do not have as much room to use Heal Bell, but we have established that Jynx has some issues vs offensive teams. Musharna, Misdreavus, Lickilicky, Audino, Miltank, Gardevoir, and many other Pokemon can easily fit Heal Bell in their moveset. In fact, there are some teams I've made where I noticed I had 2-3 Pokemon that could viably use Heal Bell, Some Pokemon are obviously not as relevant as others, but it is easy enough to come by a cleric in NU, and it definitely is not just for Jynx. Lum Berry and Sleep Talk are obviously less common, and using one of these JUST for Jynx is a waste, but there are certain Pokemon that can use them without losing much at all.

I find Jynx's usefulness vs a team the number of Pokemon she can outspeed (which don't have priority that is not Aqua Jet/Ice Shard) and OHKO. If there are not many Pokemon on the team that she can do that too, she loses a lot of viability, considering that she sure as hell cannot take a hit. This is especially annoying for Jynx because she has a limited amount of space to actually come into a battle: revenge killing, a risky prediction, or a slow U-turn/Volt Switch/Baton Pass. If a team has multiple Pokemon that can be OHKO'd by Jynx, then yes, Jynx will be a huge problem. In that case, you could throw on a Pokemon like Metang or Munchlax, who can wall Jynx for a long time, or a faster/bulky Pokemon with U-turn/Pursuit. These Pokemon have more usage than just beating Jynx (Munchlax is not amazing -- but it can beat Charizard as well which is extremely useful. Walling Charizard is super hard for any team). I do not think Jynx is very troublesome for stall teams, as they can fit Pokemon that check her really well like Regice and Lickilicky, and also have plenty of room for a Heal Bell Pokemon or two to cure that nasty sleep. I personally think Pokemon like SubBU Braviary and Choice Specs Charizard are more scary for stall teams, but that is for another time.

Jynx is certainly very versatile, but you can generally deduce the set she is using based on her team and when she is sent out, like Plus explained. In addition, a lot of the Pokemon that beat one set, can still do relatively well vs another, just you may to play around her differently. Cores like Alomomola + Regice can generally handle pretty much any Jynx set, while still being an extremely solid core in general. Another thing regarding Jynx's versatility is... most of the time, it is going to be Choice Scarf because of it being its most consistent and effective set. Life Orb + 3 attacks is an "explosive" set; it works extremely well certain game but lacks consistency and utility overall, which is why most players use Choice Scarf despite the Life Orb (or Nasty Plot/Sub Kiss) set being a viable choice.

In conclusion, while Jynx is an extremely powerful threat, she is not impossible to prepare for. There are plenty of ways to prepare for her, and she is probably one of the easiest Pokemon to punish thanks to her fragility. Her results can be somewhat inconsistent from game to game, as she is reliant on finding Pokemon she can outspeed and OHKO, and she is very difficult to bring in. You can say she puts a strain on teambuilding, but think about Pokemon like Choice Band Sawk -- you can deal with them, but the second you don't have something like Musharna / Misdreavus / etc or a bunch of really solid resistances, you will be punished heavily. I do not think Jynx puts enough strain on teambuilding nor is threatening enough in everyday situations to deserve to be banned.

Last edited:
I wish we had
codes. Where are the horizontal rules? And seriously, I have to type the centering tags manually? For reals, XenForo, get with it. :mad:

Guess I have to make my own rules out of magic stars and ice crystals.

There are other ways of obtaining a free switch, whether it be a slow U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch or through coming in after a teammate has fainted. Obviously getting Jynx into play isn't the easiest, but again, it's not impossible.

-snip-

There's almost no way to bring in Jynx without losing a Pokemon.
I would say that a slow Volt Switch/U-Turn is just about the greatest way there is, and deserves some notice. I haven't finished the run-through of my Bulky Offense team that uses this method to bring in Jynx, but so far it is going fantastically and I highly recommend it. If, say, Probopass can't beat something but can take a hit from it, you have yourself a free switch. It's one of my new favorite ways to grab momentum in an instant.

On to the meat of this post, I'm about halfway through a test I'm running where I'm doing 30 or so battles with four separate teams. On other ladder teams I've had quite a bit of experience with Jynx anyhow, but I wanted to focus specifically on Jynx's effect on teambuilding. Here are the team styles:

Speed Offense, utilizing Jynx
Speed Offense, without Jynx
Bulky Offense/Balance, utilizing Jynx
Bulky Offense/Balance, without Jynx

I haven't been testing Jynx at all on defensive teams because I almost never use them and I therefore doubt that the results would mean anything at all. Here's what I've found so far, having only fully completed my trial runs of Speed Offense with and without Jynx. Of course, the sample sizes are relatively small, but there's only so much I can do in a few days. ;) I haven't broken up the styles of offense of opposing teams because it's hard to tell sometimes when I'm not the one making the team.

At the risk of rambling, here are my mostly unabridged thoughts.

With Jynx, Against Offense:
On this particular team, Jynx was one of my two primary sweepers, utilizing a Scarfed set with Lovely Kiss and three attacks. (Psychic, Ice Beam, and Energy Ball, for the curious.) What I found is that while Jynx will outrun many offensive Pokemon such as Sawk, Scolipede, Swellow, and others with a scarf, practically every offensive team I faced had at least one 'mon that could outrun the Psy-chick. Most had two methods of outrunning her, whether through priority (mach punch Gurdurr, bullet punch Metang, etc) or in one case Prankster Tailwind Murkrow slamming a scarfed Sawk through the sound barrier.

With some assistance from the rest of my team, including a scarfed Zebstrika (scarf Charizard in earlier editions, before I decided I needed more speed), I was almost always able to disable one or both of the 'mons that the opponent had to check Jynx. To be clear, base 95 is fast, but there is an entire niche for anything that can outrun it, and another for any scarfer that can beat out scarfed Jynx. On my own team, I made sure to have something that could beat the speed tier. I knew there would be opposing Jynx out there, so I prepared for them. This is not something I oppose at all. I think it's fantastic that 'mons like Zebstrika and Rapidash and whatnot are seeing usage because of their ability to absolutely own Jynx if they get a free switch. On the other hand, I don't recall there being any battles that Jynx didn't KO at least two, sometimes three or four foes. It might be the team's style of preparing everything for a Jynx sweep, but in any case Jynx can sweep like almost nothing else I've used in this tier. About the closest thing I can compare it to is Sawk before Jynx dropped down. If you can arrange the battle state so that Jynx outruns everything left on the field, it can usually hit hard enough to blow away the rest. If it can't, well, that brings me to the final section of this test writeup.

Lovely Kiss is really, really, really, good for this playstyle. There are ways of getting around it, of course, but not every Pokemon has a way. Oftentimes, if there is only one or two bulky Pokemon left that Jynx can't brush aside, they are slow enough that a lucky trainer can just put them to sleep and walk on through. However , there is a large degree of luck involved. If you miss, Jynx can't take a hit from even some defensive Pokemon. I mean, its physical bulk is absolutely atrocious. If the foe wakes up early, or, worse, has a Lum Berry on hand, Jynx is also completely screwed. Offensive teams that I fought tended to have at least one Lum berry. Lum berry is the best Jynx check in the game. Seriously, if you go for a Lovely Kiss and the opposing 'mon just recovers from it instantly, Jynx is boned. Nothing good can come of giving the foe a free move when you have such a ridiculously frail sweeper in. Against an offensive team where most everything can hit at least decently hard, you will be lucky to keep your Jynx alive at all if you screw up and waste that turn.

With Jynx, Against Defense:
Against defensive teams, Jynx took on a somewhat different role. She didn't quite hit hard enough to break through some of what the rest of my team could, and there were an irritatingly large number of Metangs that my set could not deal with. However, Metang is not difficult to deal with by using the power of teamwork. Golurk in particular stood out on this team for accomplishing this task, as did its precursor, Seismitoad. I would posit that this is a very important aspect of using Jynx; Jynx is very good, but requires some support like everything else. Jynx is not an army of one. It is hard to wall, but so is Charizard. It cannot win against defensive teams on its own. For every Metang or Grumpig that has risen up in usage to face Jynx, there is something that has a new niche of beating up those checks for Jynx.

Unlike against offensive teams, Jynx could not clean up entire defensive teams by herself once one or two threats were disabled. She could sometimes disable one with Lovely Kiss, and she certainly made life hell for opposing Alomomola and whatnot that are generally more physically oriented, but she was not always the MVP in such matches. She would get one KO, occasionally two, and possibly a landed Lovely Kiss atop that. This is very good, but I've run other teams where my Golurk has gotten similar results, or my Sawk, or my Swellow. Although none of them have put an enemy to sleep, which is incredibly handy.

Lovely Kiss is about as good against defense as offense, but with some notable differences. Very few defensive 'mons I faced carried a Lum berry. When a team is fighting Jynx, it's important to waste as little time as possible in getting it away. (Though a well placed Toxic can turn that right around.) Wasting a few turns on getting your cleric in, clearing up the Lovely Kiss, and working your Jynx resist back in can be effective, but woe betide ye if Jynx puts your cleric to sleep. I have not played nearly as much defense myself, so I am less sure of the strategies used by defensive teams to counter her.

~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~
These next two sections will be mercifully short because I don't feel that the lack of Jynx is quite so relevant to the thread as its presence.
~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~​
Without Jynx, Against Offense:
To make something clear, most of my speedy offensive teams do not utilize Jynx. While I have found her to be very useful, she is also very well known at this point and most teams carry checks. As with my other offensive team, this one had several important roles to be filled. It needed wallbreakers, just like the Jynx team, it needed something reasonably fast with decent killing power, and it also needed something that could go blazing fast as a revenge killer or endgame cleaner. Jynx filled the role of the fairly-fast-and-fairly-powerful 'mon on the other team, but this one made use of a pretty wide variety over time. While the 'role' is not something carved in stone, it is a niche that Swellow, Primeape, Charizard, and even Sawk could be said to have filled during this team's development. In short, Jynx is a 'mon that provides an important fusion of combination of power and speed, but often fails to provide enough power against defensive teams or speed against offensive teams. Her versatility is perhaps her greatest strength. Not every team needs Jynx to fill this role.

Without Jynx, Against Defense:
This team actually didn't find as many defensive teams as the other. From what I saw, however, Jynx can be easily replaced in such a situation. While she has her uses, in particular that fast Lovely Kiss, I didn't miss her at all after replacing her for this team. There are other ways of breaking stall. In fact, there were times with the other team where I really wish I had brought SD Samurott instead! I didn't have much success with Nasty Plot Jynx; perhaps it would have been useful to try more. It was difficult to find setup turns against the more popular (to my eyes) offensive teams.

~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~​
General Notes on Switching In with Jynx: I think that the key to dealing with spikes and stealth rocks is to not bring in Jynx until you really mean it. Constant switching will wear her down very quickly, especially since she can be forced out again very easily with strong priority or a faster revenge killer. On these offensive teams, the first time I brought in Jynx was generally the last. On occasion, I found it handy to scare out an enemy with Jynx coming in for a revenge kill, but Jynx needs to retain all the bulk she can to survive a priority attack or two. Not to mention that switching in and out leaves you open to a Pursuit, which will just crush Jynx if she can't KO the 'mon threatening Pursuit first.

~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~♢~☆~
Do I think Jynx should be banned?
No, or at least not entirely. Her stats aren't too off-kilter for NU, and her coverage is great but not dominating. The metagame is adapting to her, but I don't feel that it's needlessly warped. Offensive teams always needed to have a fast finisher anyhow, it's just that now they need to be a tad faster. If anything needs to be banned, it's only Lovely Kiss. That is what sets her apart; that fairly accurate sleep move. And even that I'm not sure of. I was leaning towards a ban before, but after intensively utilizing her this past week or so, I don't see her as being a bad influence on the metagame. (Except, possibly, Lovely Kiss' ability to utterly shut down slower checks.) If Gen 5's sleep mechanics were less ducks-on-wheels retarded, Jynx would fit in pretty well.

Apologies again for the wall of text.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In competitive gaming in general, and not just pokemon, the concept of a two for one is usually a make or break point in terms of being "broken". I don't know how many people play Yu Gi Oh, but Pot of Greed was a two for one card in which there was practically no reason not to run it in a deck because it gave you more value than it was worth putting in your deck.
I don't even play nu, but are you seriously comparing Jynx to freaking Pot of Greed? Pot of Greed is one of the cards that should never never be unbanned because with how the game is currently it is: Did you draw it first? you basically win or at least get cards that help you with your victory plan. If you are seriously going to compare Jynx to a yugioh card at least pick an accurate one like Tour Guide from The Underworld. Op as fuck last year but easy to beat/tame in today's meta.

And I know not every team needs Jynx to be good, so the comparison to motherfucking Pot of Greed is even worse.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't even play nu, but are you seriously comparing Jynx to freaking Pot of Greed? Pot of Greed is one of the cards that should never never be unbanned because with how the game is currently it is: Did you draw it first? you basically win or at least get cards that help you with your victory plan. If you are seriously going to compare Jynx to a yugioh card at least pick an accurate one like Tour Guide from The Underworld. Op as fuck last year but easy to beat/tame in today's meta.

And I know not every team needs Jynx to be good, so the comparison to motherfucking Pot of Greed is even worse.
I'm not. I was using it as an example to explain the concept of a two for one, a concept which applies to Jynx, but not to be made as a comparison between the two. I am aware that every team does not need Jynx to be good. Sorry if my example sucked, but the intent of my post wasn't to detract attention away from Jynx towards a completely different game. The discussion should pertain solely to Jynx, not the validity of my alleged comparisons. I'm not very appreciative of the tone of this post, but you probably didn't mean for anything to be a personal attack.

Last edited:
In the previous thread, I was adamant about Jynx being a ban-worthy Pokemon. I still feel the same way now and am not really heavily convinced that it's not.

The main argument for keeping Jynx, from what I understand, is that it's a frail Pokemon and is susceptible to all three entry hazards. Due to this, it "balances" her out in that despite her huge offensive presence, her inability to switch in easily and constant residual damage taken makes up for it. However, I don't personally feel that this is enough of a justification for it to remain in NU.

Firstly, I think people might be over-exaggerating Jynx's inability to switch in. There are a multitude of ways for it to be brought in without taking a direct hit. A slow Volt Switch or U-turn from the likes of Probopass or Eelektross guarantees Jynx comes in with only entry hazard damage taken if they are up. Saccing a Pokemon is another common method to bringing it in safely. Think of offensive Scolipede who tries to get as many layers of Spikes as possible and goes kamikaze mode. This is common on more offensive-based teams. It's also possible to bring Jynx in if you predict a non-damaging move. I mean, sure it can be difficult in some cases, but really, once Jynx does make it in, everything is instantly in the Jynx user's favour. The upper-hand you have when you bring Jynx in against a slower target is huge. If the opponent makes even one mistake or misprediction, consider yourself essentially scoring two free kills. If you thought it was going for the Lovely Kiss as you bring in your Choice Scarf Primeape, but it instead goes for the Life Orb Ice Beam and OHKOes or just sets up a free Substitute and does work from there, that's really unfortunate. I would consider Jynx's moveset versatility one of the major reasons why it's such a powerful and, in my opinion, an overpowered threat for NU. To respond to something my good friend Plus stated here:
But I understand that your argument seems to be that the unpredictability of the sets and the punishment you get from guessing wrong seems to make it broken. My opinion is this: such is the nature of Pokemon. You see many tournament teams running lures and surprise factors in order to catch the opponent off guard. Additionally, bringing Jynx in on certain pokemon may hint as to what set it is, primarily with the choiced items. If you bring in Jynx on something normally faster than it, then I know you are probably scarfed.
It's kind of different with Jynx I think. Like, Landorus is probably a good example of an unpredictable Pokemon in OU. It can run Choice sets, support sets, Rock Polish sets, and even a double-booster set. The thing is, though, Landorus has really solid checks and counters to it, which makes this unpredictability somewhat bearable as you can work around it. With Jynx, though, people don't typically have that kind of capability. The checks and "counters" to Jynx are quite limited. Like I said before, if you make one small misprediction against Jynx, you've put yourself in a very difficult position. The fact that it can even neutralize one of the opponent's main answers to Jynx via Lovely Kiss is far worse than one can think. In essence, Jynx will always give the user an upper-hand the instant it's brought in.

Another thing that I heavily dislike about Jynx is that it basically molded the entire NU metagame around itself. Between it's great Speed tier, high offensive presence, and access to the Lovely Kiss, players are literally forced to carry multiple Jynx answers. Stall and defensive teams are losing potential because Jynx demolishes them with its scary Substitute + Nasty Plot set. Players have to resort to using Pokemon such as Metang and Bronzor just so they can manage it better. But even then, those aren't even good enough to deal with it from a defensive perspective. Both can be easily neutralized with Lovely Kiss. RestTalk Metang is probably the best Jynx answer because of this, but RestTalk Metang itself is such a horrible set and oftentimes ends up being a sitting duck for the whole game. All Bronzor can do is use Toxic, which will fail if Jynx is of the Substitute kind, and an unboosted Flash Cannon might not even break Jynx's Substitute. It can probably Calm Mind as that is what all Bronzor sets should have, but between Bronzor's lack of Leftovers, atrocious offenses, and reliance on Calm Mind/Toxic to do anything significant, it is just so easily taken advantage of by Jynx's teammates that I really can't see it being the be-all-end-all of Jynx answers. It's the same deal with Munchlax too. Lovely Kiss is probably not as hurtful on defensive teams thanks to the majority of them carrying RestTalk and Heal Bell users, but it's Jynx's offensive prowess that typically overwhelms defensive teams and forces them to carry the aforementioned Pokemon. This is very unhealthy in my opinion. So now because of Jynx with her threatening offenses and Speed, the metagame has shifted more to the offensive side. This more-or-less results in a "I kill you, then you kill me, then I kill you" playstyle like Django (who I agree with very much) stated. This is unhealthy as well.

All in all, the fact that one Pokemon alone has the ability to single handedly shape the metagame around it, neutralize its minimal counters and unreliable checks with Lovely Kiss, run three amazing sets with completely different answers for each, imbalance the metagame by shifting it offensively and reducing the viability of stall/defensive styles, and basically force every competitive player to carry multiple Jynx checks and counters make it a broken Pokemon that should be banned from the metagame.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wanted to wait till the usage stats came out to write my "Official tennisace Suspect Post 2013(tm)" but I want to quickly respond to the point that Django and Plus both agreed upon as (presumably) pro-ban supporters: Lovely Kiss.

In order to safely use Lovely Kiss, Jynx needs to either: switch in on a (hopefully) weak attack, or come in after a teammate gets killed.

-Switching in on a weak attack:

Jynx has one immunity, and every single Water-type has a way of dealing with Jynx:

-Mola, Wartortle, and Lapras have Toxic,
-Samurott has Megahorn
-Floatzel and Basculin have Crunch
-Ludicolo has Giga Drain which is a 2hko
-Seismitoad has EQ and Earth Power, both are 2hkos
-Gorebyss has Signal Beam (though it's really uncommon)

Alright, well what about some other common targets that Jynx likes to switch in on? Tangela and Exeggutor both have Sleep Powder and Leech seed, and Exeggutor can straight up OHKO with Specs Leaf Storm. In reality, there are very few opportunities for Jynx to switch in, since the metagame as a whole has skewed towards offensive. I'll go into it more in-depth in my next post, but there has been a decline in purely defensive Pokemon with no offensive presence, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This means that basically every Pokemon that Jynx would want to switch into has a way to deal with it, simply because defensive teams need a more reliable way to do damage than just hazards + smart switching.

-Coming in after a kill:

This kind of defeats the point of a two for one, since you have to lose a mon to guarantee a 100% safe switch! It's in reality a 2 for 2, assuming that: Lovely Kiss hits a Pokemon that isn't already status'd (and hits in general because it hits 5% less of the time than Stone Miss), Jynx then proceeds to KO a Pokemon that is being sacrificed, and then finally Jynx dies to a revenge kill itself. Saying Jynx is always a 2 for 1 is nice, but it very rarely works out in practice.

That's all I'm going to say here for right now, since again I want to wait for the July usage stats that are coming hopefully tomorrow.

edit: Fuzznip sniped me and reminded me about the slow Volt-Switch, but those have other problems that I'll probably bring up in my full post.

I'd like to expand upon a point Treecko made in his post regarding "Jynx does not contribute much to a team besides her offensive presence". I find that while Jynx is a very good Pokemon, using her on anything besides an offensive team is hard. Not only does she have very little resistances/immunities -- she also makes it more difficult to use status conditions. If a Pokemon gets paralyzed / burned / poisoned whatever, all of a sudden those could be used to switch into Jynx's Lovely Kiss for free. Yea sure these Pokemon will be easier to outright kill... but it's taking advantage of what the opponents did to your Pokemon. Not to mention you can always switch into a really weakened Pokemon into a Lovely Kiss, and then either let that Pokemon die and revenge Jynx later or switch to another Pokemon. As I said earlier, Jynx is probably one of the easiest Pokemon to punish with offensive pressure, because of that SR, U-turn, and Pursuit weakness.

I don't think Jynx is that bad when it comes to "killing" playstyles either... stall can generally deal with Jynx just fine, as Pokemon like Regice / Lickilicky / Munchlax / Metang are all good on stall, and Heal Bell is very common (and it's definitely not very common because of lovely kiss). RestTalk is also fairly common on stall on Pokemon like the aforementioned Regice/Munchlax. Offensive teams can punish Jynx very easily with offensive pressure, and don't mind sacrificing stuff to Lovely Kiss. Balanced/Bulky Offense teams I would say have the most trouble. Jynx is really annoying for them, but honestly I'd say it's a good thing that happened because they were by far the best playstyle in the previous metas. Jynx coming down helps even the gap between bulky offense and offense. Now don't get me wrong: I don't think a Pokemon that totally owns a specific playstyle is healthy... but Jynx doesn't "totally own" balanced/bulky offense; it is just dependent on how you build it. Alomomola + Regice, Metang, Lickilicky, Sneasel (ehh not much of a fan of it, but it's a very nice Pokemon vs most offensive teams), Skuntank, Primeape, Charizard, etc. all fit decently on balanced/bulky offense.

I agree that sleep is a really annoying status condition, but I don't think that + fantastic offensive presence necessarily fits the bill of a broken Pokemon. It's perfectly possible to prepare for Jynx without bending so far backwards.

Django

-Coming in after a kill:

This kind of defeats the point of a two for one, since you have to lose a mon to guarantee a 100% safe switch! It's in reality a 2 for 2, assuming that: Lovely Kiss hits a Pokemon that isn't already status'd (and hits in general because it hits 5% less of the time than Stone Miss), Jynx then proceeds to KO a Pokemon that is being sacrificed, and then finally Jynx dies to a revenge kill itself. Saying Jynx is always a 2 for 1 is nice, but it very rarely works out in practice.
Just want to point out that this isn't strictly the case. More often than not Jynx is going to be used on a very offensive team, one that often sacrifices a Pokemon or two in order to get hazards up (Golem, Scolipede etc). Lets say the Jynx user has a 1% Golem left, saved after setting up Stealth Rock and maybe hitting something with EQ, which they then sacrifice to bring Jynx in. Golem has more than done its job at that point (and won't be useful at all later in the game since it's at 1%), so throwing it away is something the Jynx user can very easily afford to do. Jynx can very easily force two for ones in situations like this. On the other side of the coin, people can sacrifice similarly useless Pokemon to Jynx in order to get a revenge killer in, but the risk of sacrificing something against Jynx (as I've said before) is much greater due to its versatility. I do agree its not so simple as "Jynx always forces 2 for 1's" since it is very hard to switch in, but it does have its methods (slow Volt Switch or hell even just using it as a lead) but it's also not as simple as "Jynx rarely forces 2 for 1's". :)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's kind of different with Jynx I think. Like, Landorus is probably a good example of an unpredictable Pokemon in OU. It can run Choice sets, support sets, Rock Polish sets, and even a double-booster set. The thing is, though, Landorus has really solid checks and counters to it, which makes this unpredictability somewhat bearable as you can work around it. With Jynx, though, people don't typically have that kind of capability. The checks and "counters" to Jynx are quite limited. Like I said before, if you make one small misprediction against Jynx, you've put yourself in a very difficult position. The fact that it can even neutralize one of the opponent's main answers to Jynx via Lovely Kiss is far worse than one can think. In essence, Jynx will always give the user an upper-hand the instant it's brought in.
If you're going to compare Jynx with an OU Pokemon, please at least provide an accurate comparison. Landorus was versatile, but it wasn't so versatile that you had to worry about 5-6 different sets. It had two main sets: U-turn (the one that you left out for some reason and the same one that many of people targeted when arguing to ban it) and Rock Polish, and the rest were incredibly obscure. When you faced Landorus, you had to wonder, "should I switch to a defensive check/counter that will be roasted by U-turn or should I stay in and hit it hoping it will Rock Polish?" With Jynx you have to wonder, "what should I sacrifice for sleep fodder?" Jynx isn't really unpredictable that much because its Nasty Plot set is incredibly matchup reliant; stall might struggle with it (probably not that much since most stall teams either carry something it can't do much to, like Metang, or something that can phaze it, like Munchlax), but it will pretty much never get the chance to set up against a good offensive teams. Its Life Orb set is good, sure, but it has all of the issues that people have brought up in this thread: it is easy to force out because of its frailty, susceptibility to faster Pokemon and basically every Scarfer, weakness to Pursuit, and weakness to U-turn, among other things. And the Scarf set (which is its best set in the opinions of many) isn't that hard to wall but makes for a great revenge killer and late game cleaner. Besides that, unlike Landorus, you can usually tell pretty easily what set Jynx is running from the moment the game starts, and even when you can't, you can usually tell from the moment it hits the battlefield. Landorus was pretty much just good old Landorus; good luck telling if it's going to U-turn and switch to a Pursuit trapper to take out your Celebi or Latias or Rock Polish and sweep your team. If you're going to make comparisons to other Pokemon in other tiers, at least make valid ones please.

Another thing that I heavily dislike about Jynx is that it basically molded the entire NU metagame around itself. Between it's great Speed tier, high offensive presence, and access to the Lovely Kiss, players are literally forced to carry multiple Jynx answers. Stall and defensive teams are losing potential because Jynx demolishes them with its scary Substitute + Nasty Plot set. Players have to resort to using Pokemon such as Metang and Bronzor just so they can manage it better. But even then, those aren't even good enough to deal with it from a defensive perspective. Both can be easily neutralized with Lovely Kiss. RestTalk Metang is probably the best Jynx answer because of this, but RestTalk Metang itself is such a horrible set and oftentimes ends up being a sitting duck for the whole game. All Bronzor can do is use Toxic, which will fail if Jynx is of the Substitute kind, and an unboosted Flash Cannon might not even break Jynx's Substitute. It can probably Calm Mind as that is what all Bronzor sets should have, but between Bronzor's lack of Leftovers, atrocious offenses, and reliance on Calm Mind/Toxic to do anything significant, it is just so easily taken advantage of by Jynx's teammates that I really can't see it being the be-all-end-all of Jynx answers. It's the same deal with Munchlax too. Lovely Kiss is probably not as hurtful on defensive teams thanks to the majority of them carrying RestTalk and Heal Bell users, but it's Jynx's offensive prowess that typically overwhelms defensive teams and forces them to carry the aforementioned Pokemon. This is very unhealthy in my opinion. So now because of Jynx with her threatening offenses and Speed, the metagame has shifted more to the offensive side. This more-or-less results in a "I kill you, then you kill me, then I kill you" playstyle like Django (who I agree with very much) stated. This is unhealthy as well.
Every good stall team needs to carry answers to multiple Pokemon. Jynx is no exception, and I'd argue that Jynx is FAR less threatening to stall than a huge variety of threats, such as SubBU Braviary, mixed Eelektross, most Charizard, etc. Every stall team needs answers to all of these Pokemon. If you don't have one, you're not going to be successful, and you shouldn't cry that such a Pokemon is broken or unhealthy for the meta because you failed to prepare for it. You're acting like Jynx is the hardest thing to check, and it's really not. Munchlax shits on the mono-attacking set. Metang does too, especially ones with Sleep Talk. +6 Jynx can't even OHKO uninvested Metang from full. Meanwhile, Metang has a couple of turns to wake up and KO it back. If you wake up, break its Sub, and then Bullet Punch Jynx, voila, it's handled. There are plenty of other Pokemon that do fine against it as well. On top of this, most Ice resists also typically do fine against it. Please play with a stall team before you talk about what threatens it, because I can honestly say that I've been using it extensively and the Pokemon I brought up before were all far more threatening than any Jynx ever was. Also, a short mention on Bronzor: at +1 SpDef without any SpDef EV investment and just max HP, Bronzor can take two +6 Ice Beams. Good luck beating it since you will usually switch Bronzor immediately into Jynx and start Sleep Talking your way up. Munchlax is also a be-all-end-all answer to Jynx, as it OHKOs with Return or Double Edge or Whirlwinds it out, and with an arbitrary amount of SpDef investment (I know it typically runs more than this but I don't remember how much exactly):

252 +6 SpAtk Jynx Ice Beam vs 252 HP/160 SpDef Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax (+SpDef) : 34.81% - 41.14% (3 hits to KO)

Please back up your claims with evidence. It's frankly quite painful to see comments like:

"This is very unhealthy in my opinion. So now because of Jynx with her threatening offenses and Speed, the metagame has shifted more to the offensive side. This more-or-less results in a "I kill you, then you kill me, then I kill you" playstyle like Django (who I agree with very much) stated."

I don't think I've seen this in any one of my battles that I played on the ladder while I was laddering for reqs. I understand that the ladder is not entirely indicative of the metagame, but you'd think that in around 100 battles (of which I only lost around 12) I would see this at least once, and I never once saw it. I was playing with a bulky offensive team that literally had 1 Pokemon that could outspeed Jynx (Scolipede) and seriously rarely if ever struggled with it. It seriously sounds like a lot of theorymon to me. I understand that our laddering experiences were probably a bit different, but there's no way that they were so different that we saw entirely different metagames.

Also, I apologize if I my posting may seem a bit pointed, but I feel that the points brought up in the post were either an outside perspective on what the metagame probably looks like in comparison to what it actually is or just ignoring the other things that were brought up in this thread. I don't mean to be rude at all when I say any of this, but NU is my baby and I don't want to see something get banned because of points that don't take the whole picture into consideration.

If you're going to compare Jynx with an OU Pokemon, please at least provide an accurate comparison. Landorus was versatile, but it wasn't so versatile that you had to worry about 5-6 different sets. It had two main sets: U-turn (the one that you left out for some reason and the same one that many of people targeted when arguing to ban it) and Rock Polish, and the rest were incredibly obscure. When you faced Landorus, you had to wonder, "should I switch to a defensive check/counter that will be roasted by U-turn or should I stay in and hit it hoping it will Rock Polish?" With Jynx you have to wonder, "what should I sacrifice for sleep fodder?" Jynx isn't really unpredictable that much because its Nasty Plot set is incredibly matchup reliant; stall might struggle with it (probably not that much since most stall teams either carry something it can't do much to, like Metang, or something that can phaze it, like Munchlax), but it will pretty much never get the chance to set up against a good offensive teams. Its Life Orb set is good, sure, but it has all of the issues that people have brought up in this thread: it is easy to force out because of its frailty, susceptibility to faster Pokemon and basically every Scarfer, weakness to Pursuit, and weakness to U-turn, among other things. And the Scarf set (which is its best set in the opinions of many) isn't that hard to wall but makes for a great revenge killer and late game cleaner. Besides that, unlike Landorus, you can usually tell pretty easily what set Jynx is running from the moment the game starts, and even when you can't, you can usually tell from the moment it hits the battlefield. Landorus was pretty much just good old Landorus; good luck telling if it's going to U-turn and switch to a Pursuit trapper to take out your Celebi or Latias or Rock Polish and sweep your team. If you're going to make comparisons to other Pokemon in other tiers, at least make valid ones please.
I only used Landorus as a random example of a Pokemon that carries multiple sets that have different answers to them, nothing more, nothing less. I could've used any other Pokemon with such versatility here, but Landorus popped up in my head first so I just went with that. I felt like that's kind of how Jynx performs in that the three sets that it generally runs (Choice Scarf, Life Orb + 3 Attacks, Substitute + Nasty Plot) are each very different and have different answers to them. This why I believe that the moment Jynx comes in, the Jynx user has a huge upper-hand because the opponent has to make a good guess at what it's going to do. "What should I sacrifice for sleep fodder?" is a good question when one sees Jynx, but keep in mind that Jynx isn't always going to throw out a Lovely Kiss first. If you think it is when in reality it uses Substitute or flat out attacks you, and you switched into something to absorb that sleep, you potentially just lost your sleep absorber or you gave Jynx a free opportunity to boost up. It can easily knock out at least two Pokemon if you make the slightest of misplays. Like Plus said in one of his posts, Jynx is pretty much a two-for-one deal. It gets to cripple a Pokemon for potentially the entire match via Lovely Kiss and proceed to either set up or just go for some big damage afterwards. So the point I was trying to get across with the Landorus comparison is that Jynx is versatile enough to run three impressive sets that each have completely different ways to be dealt with. The same checks you use for Nasty Plot won't apply to Choice Scarf. With Jynx's limited counters, this can be proven very difficult and what makes Jynx such a strong offensive presence.

I don't think it's easy to determine what Jynx is going to do when it comes in. It'll be pretty obvious if it comes in on something like Swellow because you know it's Choice Scarfed, but other than that, it's hard to say. Will it Lovely Kiss? Should I stay in in case it uses Substitute? Is this a Nasty Plot variant? If you answer any of these questions wrong, you are way behind your opponent now as you panic to catch up. I'm sorry if I used a bad example here, I was just trying to mention something that was versatile yet had legitimate checks and counters, and Landorus made sense in my head. Jynx does have checks and counters, but the majority of its checks do not enjoy taking one of its STABs, and its counters are very limited. It's best counters are pretty much just Munchlax, Bronzor, and Metang I believe, all of which are underwhelming Pokemon outside of checking Jynx really well to be honest. I wouldn't want to force myself to use these on my more offensive teams to guarantee Jynx doesn't sweep me. Metang is obviously the most offensive of the three, but if you use it offensively, it has a harder time tanking Life Orb Focus Blasts (I think it's 2HKOed iirc) and definitely doesn't enjoy taking a Lovely Kiss on the switch. Again, my apologies if I'm incorrect here. I don't mean to cause too much trouble, I'm just stating some of my observations and experiences I've had with Jynx.

Every good stall team needs to carry answers to multiple Pokemon. Jynx is no exception, and I'd argue that Jynx is FAR less threatening to stall than a huge variety of threats, such as SubBU Braviary, mixed Eelektross, most Charizard, etc. Every stall team needs answers to all of these Pokemon. If you don't have one, you're not going to be successful, and you shouldn't cry that such a Pokemon is broken or unhealthy for the meta because you failed to prepare for it. You're acting like Jynx is the hardest thing to check, and it's really not. Munchlax shits on the mono-attacking set. Metang does too, especially ones with Sleep Talk. +6 Jynx can't even OHKO uninvested Metang from full. Meanwhile, Metang has a couple of turns to wake up and KO it back. If you wake up, break its Sub, and then Bullet Punch Jynx, voila, it's handled. There are plenty of other Pokemon that do fine against it as well. On top of this, most Ice resists also typically do fine against it. Please play with a stall team before you talk about what threatens it, because I can honestly say that I've been using it extensively and the Pokemon I brought up before were all far more threatening than any Jynx ever was. Also, a short mention on Bronzor: at +1 SpDef without any SpDef EV investment and just max HP, Bronzor can take two +6 Ice Beams. Good luck beating it since you will usually switch Bronzor immediately into Jynx and start Sleep Talking your way up. Munchlax is also a be-all-end-all answer to Jynx, as it OHKOs with Return or Double Edge or Whirlwinds it out, and with an arbitrary amount of SpDef investment (I know it typically runs more than this but I don't remember how much exactly):

252 +6 SpAtk Jynx Ice Beam vs 252 HP/160 SpDef Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax (+SpDef) : 34.81% - 41.14% (3 hits to KO)
I realize that stall teams must prepare for multiple Pokemon, this is a given. However, I find that preparing for Jynx is very specific. The only viable Pokemon that fit on stall and counter it decently are Metang, Bronzor, and Munchlax. That's pretty much where it stops. Also, they aren't 100% reliable given that all of them can be worn down pretty easily given their lack of reliable recovery (they're forced to run Rest usually). Like, if Munchlax takes ~10% of residual damage before Jynx comes in, it will be 2HKOed by LO Focus Blast with Stealth Rock when it does come in. Specially defensive Metang fairs better against Focus Blast, but it still faces the same issues as Munchlax and I'm not sure if people even run max HP/max SpD Metang. And when you say this: "Meanwhile, Metang has a couple of turns to wake up and KO it back" -- a decent player probably won't keep Jynx in, he should be satistifed enough that the opposition's Jynx answer is crippled. This gives him opportunities to threaten Metang out and keep it sleeping until awoken by a cleric. RestTalk Bronzor is pretty much the best there is when it comes to dealing with Jynx on stall. But knowing that I have to carry Bronzor to guarantee Jynx doesn't cream my stall teams is disappointing to say the least... It's a pretty sucky Pokemon and can easily be taken advantage of I'd say.

Please play with a stall team before you talk about what threatens it, because I can honestly say that I've been using it extensively and the Pokemon I brought up before were all far more threatening than any Jynx ever was.
Stall was the first team style I used when I started playing NU again, so I have a somewhat decent understanding of its workings. Jynx was always a top threat in my books, being able to come in against various Pokemon given that most of them are just supportmons and lack any real offensive pressure. If I allowed it to set up once, I was pretty much done. Sometimes I'd be able to phaze it out and such, but it'd just come back in and do the same thing. I tried both Metang and Munchlax as well, but they weren't guarantees and more often then not, they'd allow something else to set up and cause major problems. I'm probably just a bad stall player, but Jynx is seriously such a huge nuisance that I don't think can be denied. Bronzor's the be-all-end-all Jynx counter, not the other two.

Also, I apologize if I my posting may seem a bit pointed, but I feel that the points brought up in the post were either an outside perspective on what the metagame probably looks like in comparison to what it actually is or just ignoring the other things that were brought up in this thread. I don't mean to be rude at all when I say any of this, but NU is my baby and I don't want to see something get banned because of points that don't take the whole picture into consideration.
No need to apologize, I appreciate and respect your response. I'm not the best at coherently conveying my views usually and more often than not gets people irritated, but I try. I'm definitely not ignoring the other things that are being brought up, it all makes sense. However, I am personally just not convinced that Jynx's negatives outweigh it's positives. This is clearly not what the majority thinks from what it looks like, though, so I'm pretty much on my own with this viewpoint. Oh well. Again, I apologize for my lackluster points. I think that's all that will come out of me for now.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Quoting my post from Suspect because Raseri said I could.

ebeast said:
Jynx has a lot of things going for it, but the way those perks function is not absolute. For example Jynx has Dry Skin, but outside of switching into a Water-type attack it has difficulty coming into Water-type Pokemon such as Samurott, Ludicolo, and Seismitoad. (Even Alomomola can be annoying to switch into because Toxic seriously puts Jynx on a timer) Jynx has high base Speed to outspeed a ton of Pokemon, but is really weak to priority attacks due to its awful Defense. Jynx has fantastic Special Attack and excellent STABs in Ice Beam and Psychic, but, assuming the Scarf set, it cannot hit everything at once; Ice and Psychic resists are everywhere in NU and not just for Jynx. The Life Orb set gets around Scarf's problem of being unable to hit everything at once by having the freedom to use whatever move it pleases, but now it has to deal with being worn down much faster due to Life Orb recoil while having more trouble against offense and still being pressured hard by priority. SubNP can get around both Scarf and LO's weakness to priority by hiding behind a Substitute, but now it faces even bigger coverage issues than Scarf did. The clear pattern is that while Jynx's sets have strengths and weaknesses, there is no set that provides that high reward all of its sets are capable of giving without having to deal with some sort of inherent problem, be it with Jynx or the set itself, that prevents it from being totally unstoppable.

If anything has any chance of breaking Jynx it would have to be Lovely Kiss. The problem is that the best set Jynx can run, Scarf, can't always utilize it to the best manner. (Don't get me wrong LK is still great on Scarf) Life Orb utilizes LK the best because it can put something to sleep and then start attacking, however LK doesn't stop LO from having its inherent flaw of having difficulty vs offense; it simply makes Jynx better suited against it so its not a liability. Even with LK, SubNP still has a whole bunch of problems particularly in that it relies on monocoverage to get things done. Even with LK, the Scarf set doesn't immediately lose its counters; the fact that its locked in means that it's forced out, and has to take more entry hazard damage while that counter is still alive to take on its attacks and force it out again.

In my opinion I think Jynx right now benefits the metagame by making it easier to check dangerous Pokemon, mainly Carracosta, Scolipede, and some Water-types. Even though I'm primarily a defensive player and I like my stall, I don't think Life Orb Jynx's existence making stall harder to function is anything to really be worried about. What I think makes a metagame ideal is being one that is competitive and skill based rather than one where every strategy or Pokemon is viable and usable; and Jynx doesn't hurt that.
I haven't changed my opinion on Jynx since I last posted, but I do want to echo DTC in that while Jynx is dangerous when given a free switch, that is actually harder said than done. Jynx's typing defensively is terribad and it struggles to come in on anything that isn't a Water-type attack. (and even then ofc Water mons have things to hit it with) Coming in via U-turn and Volt Switch is cool, but that's more of Jynx + teammate getting shit done rather than Jynx by itself, which is the thing we're suspecting. It's basically just supporting it by giving it a way to overcome one of its flaws; kind of like how Sawk/Primape + Pursuit mon works. However, Jynx isn't capable of slaughtering everything just because it has a free switch via U-turn or VSwitch; there is no guarantee that the Pokemon you get the momentum on is gonna die to Jynx, which is not really an unlikely case given the amount of checks and Pokemon that can tank a hit that Jynx has. Even if it does come out though it's not the end of the world, teams should be prepared for both Life Orb or Scarf variants of Jynx; if they don't that's their fault. (Your team is not prepared for *insert NU threat here*? Prepare to die, it's the same with every Pokemon in every tier.) Life Orb is very strong, but an SR weakness, LO recoil, and not being hard to check via priority or Scarf Pokemon means it doesn't last all that long at all. Jynx can switch out sure, but that SR and LO weakness seriously stack quickly and it's not like Jynx OHKOes every Pokemon in the tier so it will be switching a lot. On top of that its put in a checkmate position by U-turn and Pursuit, which is really annoying for a hit and run Pokemon. Scarf is the best set in the metagame right now, but it also has problems that I already mentioned in my quote above; by limiting itself to one move it cannot make use of Lovely Kiss as effectively and is not hard to check, counter, or even Pursuit trap with Skunk.

I don't agree with Treecko that Jynx is hard to fit in on teams nor do I agree with Django that Jynx is mainly found on really offensive teams. Even though Jynx's typing+defenses+SR weakness seriously sucks, Dry Skin and the utility of its revenge killing abilities don't really make it hard to fit on teams to be frank. As for it mainly being found on really offensive teams, that is just not true; it fits on all sorts of teams that aren't too defensive. FLCL and I play bulky offense and Jynx is found of most of our teams just because having Scarf Jynx around for all the dangerous mons it checks never hurts. Life Orb on the other hand is indeed found more on offensive teams like Hot N Cold's, but the problem with using Life Orb Jynx on HO teams is that when it's check or forced out the team doesn't really have anything to take a hit so you're forced to sac something or take heavy damage. Yeah Jynx had something to do with changing the Speed tiers up, but the addition of Primeape and Scolipede would have done the same anyways and back even before the drops, Pokemon like Haunter and Sawsbuck were already starting to step up the general Speed of NU. I also don't agree with anyone who says that the metagame has become overly offensive. While the metagame has definitely gotten more offensive it's nowhere near the point of "you kill me I kill you". Bulky Pokemon are still used and some even better in this metagame: SpD Ludicolo, Klang, Mandibuzz, Kangaskhan, SubBU Braviary, Musharna, Alomomola, and Misdreavus just to name a few.

Like I said in my original post I do think having Jynx around benefits the metagame as a whole because before Jynx, Water-types like Samurott and Ludicolo could much more easily spam Hydro Pump and Pokemon like Shell Smash Carracosta and SD Samurott were harder to check. And again like I said, the way stall does against LO Jynx doesn't matter anyways, (plus it's not like stall has no way around Jynx anyways) having every playstyle be viable is too idealistic and will never happen in BW. The tier has never been kind to stall and a typical Spikes stacking HO teams can give stall nightmares without ever needing to resort to Jynx.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I realize that stall teams must prepare for multiple Pokemon, this is a given. However, I find that preparing for Jynx is very specific. The only viable Pokemon that fit on stall and counter it decently are Metang, Bronzor, and Munchlax. That's pretty much where it stops. Also, they aren't 100% reliable given that all of them can be worn down pretty easily given their lack of reliable recovery (they're forced to run Rest usually). Like, if Munchlax takes ~10% of residual damage before Jynx comes in, it will be 2HKOed by LO Focus Blast with Stealth Rock when it does come in. Specially defensive Metang fairs better against Focus Blast, but it still faces the same issues as Munchlax and I'm not sure if people even run max HP/max SpD Metang. And when you say this: "Meanwhile, Metang has a couple of turns to wake up and KO it back" -- a decent player probably won't keep Jynx in, he should be satistifed enough that the opposition's Jynx answer is crippled. This gives him opportunities to threaten Metang out and keep it sleeping until awoken by a cleric. RestTalk Bronzor is pretty much the best there is when it comes to dealing with Jynx on stall. But knowing that I have to carry Bronzor to guarantee Jynx doesn't cream my stall teams is disappointing to say the least... It's a pretty sucky Pokemon and can easily be taken advantage of I'd say.
I would agree that those 3 pokes are the biggest threats to jynx for stall teams. But what is the maybe the best way to deal with these pokes that might push jynx over the top? Sure, lovely kiss is going to temporarily disable these pokes, but most of them will carry sleepover. Tricking a choice scarf, however, is going to make these pokemon almost useless. Trick is such a powerful move on scarfed jynx. It is going to make not only these "reliable" counters useless by locking into a fairly predictable move, it is a problem for almost all stall teams and even teams in general. Jynx also doesn't care if it has an eviolite or an item like that because it really doesn't need an item to do its job of firing off strong stab moves and sleep (of course it helps, but in almost most cases, tricking the scarf will benefit you over the opponent). I really think trick in conjunction with lovely has really been overlooked- it is essentially 2 options of severely crippling (besides flat out attacking of course) a poke that almost no pokemon has the ability to handle both moves (except like sleep talk tauros, who really cannot take an ice beam or psychic anyway). Without even attacking, being able to get off these 2 moves in a battle ( a fast sleep then a trick) can alone give you your "2 for 1" situation, and any additional attack that can be fired off by jynx is an even bigger bonus. Now actually getting the opportunity to switch in 2 times ( and I guess lovely kiss actually hitting) is another story, in where you might have to sacrifice a poke to do so or get a slow voltturn off, but I think trick makes it a huge threat to stall teams that may not carry more than 1 poke faster than jynx with or without a scarf, and really any team in general.

On these post, very good points on both side.

I want discuss more about an objetive data which is how you can deal with Jynx in different teams, I take a list from 1850 Usage Stats of the "best defensive checks" of Jynx:

| 27 | Metang | 7.79708%
| 44 | Regice | 4.92801%
| 57 | Bastiodon | 3.30256%
| 77 | Flareon | 1.94485%
| 82 | Lapras | 1.72828%
| 84 | Munchlax | 1.61736%
| 113 | Klang | 0.92763%
| 125 | Hypno | 0.74537%
| 127 | Grumpig | 0.70187%
| 224 | Bronzor | 0.04699%

These of this are the best defensive checks which are rarelyused many of them. Probably the only true counter of Jynx are Metang (Sleep Talk), Grumpig and Bronzor. The rest of them are most dedicated depending what set runs Jynx; for example Regice, Bastiodon, Flareon, Lapras, Munchlax and Klang lost against Jynx version all out attacker and NP + 2 atk (this last is uncommon but not less dangerous).
And this mons are very dedicated for full defensive teams, the only viables for more balance and bulky offense teams are Metang and Klang with a ridiculous usage between both of them.

Jynx has a big advantage against the big part of slower mons than her such Carracosta, Samurott, Musharna etc (look NU viability ranking and usage stats), take a lot advantage while put too pressure on this threats also you need have different check and stuff to beat her, in my opinion best way to deal Jynx is with faster mons on balance / offensive teams that have no problem with Jynx like Charizard, Scolipede, Tauros, Swellow, Scarf users mostly with U-turn like Braviary and Primeape (which beat Jynx and keeps momentum at the same time). Against most slow threats Jynx is where Jynx really shines since very versatile with: LK + great coverage + strong SpA + Nasty Plot => destruction.

For example I need run on Skuntank Lum Berry to LK on Jynx and then be a decent check which in other way my Skuntank should got Sleep, then free Sub Jynx and NP, Jynx uses Nasty Plot and kill me and repeat the same process, this process is a bit lucky because LK misses 1/4 times and too depends about the turn to sleep but this is the real potential of Jynx because you cant complain about luck. This is a good example thought, you need run this on Skuntank because aparently look a good check to Jynx but in a bad scene is set up fodder to Jynx which get a boost when is sleeping, i know that you can get sleep another mon like Golurk which is free for Jynx also you need predict the move right and in the worst case a mon get sleep if you try with some good Revenge Killer to Jynx like Primeape is only this, this way to beat Jynx is risky imo Because you're risky one of the best way possible to deal with Jynx on early/ mid game that its speed mostly with uturn or priority to beat her, if you lost "this" (bc risky, the mon dies or get sleep) you're in a big disadvantage with you rest of slower mons that can get hko or 2hko or just free setupp for Jynx if nothing is sleeping.

btw, i used some mons of my rmt like example xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)