ORAS NU NU Team based on very old BW RU team

This is like my third RMT for the NU tier but its one of my favorite tiers so yeah. Needless to say, here's a little history lesson:

Back when I first had Showdown, I had a RU team for BW that (IIRC) consisted of Magmortar/Kabutops/Lilligant/Rotom/Qwilfish/Sandslash. It wasn't really viable, but it was pretty damn fun to use. That and I got into an 100+ turns battle with a Munchlax of all things.

Of course, I wanted to bring back the memories this team provided me, of course with a few changes, to ORAS NU, a tier very similar to BW RU in terms of the mons that are usable/viable. The descriptions are pretty brief compared to my last 2 RMTs, but whatever.

So here it is:

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Sandslash was added due to the fact that I needed a good hazard remover and a good Electric immunity. What it does on the team is simple, but effective. The only major difference with this Sandslash is that I opted for Stealth Rock over Swords Dance as I have no other hazard setters on my team. Rapid Spin is really the only reason to use Sandslash on a team, that and well, Knock Off as well which helps against Spinblockers. This is probably my weakest link but it beats Skuntank and Garbodor which is good.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Nice ass switch-in to mons like Vivillon, opposing Lilligant, and Vileplume with Sleep Powder. Earthquake is on this set to help against opposing Fire-types not named Zard. Thunderbolt is what sets Magmortar apart from the rest of the Fire-types in the tier.

Lilligant @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Lilligant's basically my favorite Pokemon of all time and it's a great mon to slap onto teams in terms of a Grass-type. Now Hidden Power Rock and Yache Berry do cover some of Lilligant's counters, such as Abomasnow, opposing Magmortar and Flying types. (And unlike HP Ice this doesn't lose to Mantine)

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Choice Band Sawk is pretty much the best mon in the meta right now. The set I use here is pretty standard. Zen Headbutt helps against my Poison-type problem and Stone Edge is a fuck you to Flying-types.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Samurott is basically a win condition for the team. SD Samurott is one of the biggest threats in the meta even if Sceptile basically prevents it from being S-rank. Aqua Jet is priority, and Megahorn is a very fun lure into mons that often check Samurott. (Including CRADILY THE LEGEND)

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Scarftom is speed control. Trick cripples shit and Volt Switch makes it a good pivot. I chose it as my scarfer because the typing is good for my team.

Threats to my team:

Vileplume: Magmortar is my only switch-in to this thing. It depends on the Hidden Power used on Lilligant. Either I lose to this or lose to Zard or opposing AV Magmortar.

Sawk: Basically fucks with my whole team if it's not the non-choiced variant. Scarf sets are a mother bitch because Samurott can't KO it with its priority.

Pretty sure there's more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

(Something tells me I may need to replace Sandslash with Colbur SR Mespirit or something)

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Melons-N-Soda, in its current state the team is a pretty nice take on offense although I do agree that things like Sawk and Sceptile do pose quite a threat. With that being said, I have a few recommendations to help the teams matchup versus these Pokemon.
  • Flame Charge > Earthquake on Magmortar -
    while Earthquake is nice to round out Magmortar's coverage, you already have plenty of ways to handle fire types in the form of SD samurott and hp rock lilligant. The speed from Flame Charge can help Magmortar clean up late game while still being an excellent wall breaker early in the game to pave the way for Lilligant or Samurott to win. This spread of Magmortar also outpaces Sceptile after a flame charge boost which is a Pokemon that's very important for offense to have at least a few stops to it.
  • Life Orb > Yache berry on Lilligant - With this particular moveset, the extra power from life orb is appreciated to help muscle through things like opposing Magmortar a lot easier. Yache doesn't do too much for the team since Abomasnow is typically dead weight against offense and even plus 1 hp rock isn't doing enough to ohko.
  • - Colbur berry > Choice Scarf on Rotom - A bulkier spread on rotom would help to take on threats like sawk better. Something like a spread of 224 hp / 76 def / 208 speed with a timid nature + colbur berry with a moveset of wisp / hex / volt switch / pain split makes an effective fighting check since it still outspeeds jolly sawk and can cripple it with a burn for the rest of the game.
  • Choice Scarf > Choice Band on Sawk - With Rotom losing its scarf, you'll need another source of speed and Sawk makes a perfect choice since you have both Magmortar and Samurott to handle slower teams. As far as the ability goes, either Sturdy or Mold breaker works. I still prefer Sturdy on scarf Sawk but if you opt for Mold breaker be sure to run Earthquake over Zen headbutt
Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flame Charge

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 76 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hope you enjoy my changes and good luck with the team.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sawk sheer strength, ability to plow up through many of its checks all by himself and overall decent speed tier would be really difficult to replace for your team. Feel sawk role was so important slapping a fighting type in there with the goal to replace him wouldnt do the trick.

If you want an inmediate replacement regardless, you could try 2 options: banded primeape or a banded hariyama. Banded Primeaple possess a better speed tier than sawk but the inability of pressure psychics since it only has u-turn to hit them for good damage (it is something at least). Banded Hariyama dont have the speed but has the gargantuous power or pretty close to the power sawk had.

Combusken and poliwrath just wont cut it. Combusken would add more issues with ground types and poliwrath... idek.
Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Gunk Shot

Hariyama @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Close Combat

The metagame without sawk is literally 1 day old so for now you just gotta test your options. Maybe throh could make a comeback since this is the first time in forever NU have been without sawk. Good luck, Im gonna get more educated into NU myself as well.

Update:

I wanna get back in the tier again. This is a link to the last version of the team I used:
http://pastebin.com/QyvpXWGu

I've taken all of Rapture's suggestions, except for the Sawk-less meta I just replaced it Primeape. However, with this switch, I become much more weak to Weezing since Primeape doesn't get coverage against it. I'm still thinking of removing Sandslash for something, but I'm not sure what. I still want hazards on my team, but a spinner isn't really necassary because spinning just covers for one of my Pokemon now for the most part. That and Sandslash is very easily taken advantage of. I was thinking Steelix with a lure-esque feature like a Fire resist berry (what's the name of that berry again?) or a Special movepool. It's a been awhile since the Sawk/Gurdurr-less meta began, and I think it's stabilizing right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)