ORAS NU NU Team Yet Again ("Generic" Sneasel + Gallade team)

So I haven't made a post in this forum since my old XY NU team. I want to get back into the NU meta, and thus I made this RMT. Descriptions are long enough to where this thread doesn't get locked. (Also the Touhou-themed nicknames were on purpose because the core sets I used actually had Touhou names for the two mons used)

Youmu (Haunter) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Haunter is a mon that just recently moved from PU to NU, and I definitely can see why. Life Orb Haunter isn't as common as say the Scarf variant, but it fits better on this team because of its access to Taunt which screws over both Mega Audino and Garbodor. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are STABs, and the latter takes care of the Fairy problem my two most prominent members have. Destiny Bond is a great utility move like I said, and so is Taunt. With Taunt and Life Orb this cockblocks Mega Audino. (Unless you come across the Psychic variant of offensive CM, but I've never seen anyone run it)

Remilia (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Keen Eye
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

The first part of my core, Sneasel is a beast in the current meta. Sure its preyed on by Rock and Fighting types, but it can still tear things a new one. Especially with this set, if you predict correctly of course. Choice Band Sneasel's advantage is immediate power, though with downside of course, of being choice-locked. All of these are STAB moves, and each have their own uses. Knock Off gets rid off items, Ice Shard is priority, Pursuit can trap, and Icicle Crash has consistently strong damage output, all of which are very neat. This set beats Ghosts and Psychics, which trouble Gallade.

Meiling (Gallade) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Zen Headbutt
- Safeguard

This was definitely the strangest drop to NU we ever had in Gen 6 in my opinion, and some are saying it's broken (Even when we just finished banning Magnets a week or two ago but whatever). Well this set compliments Sneasel in that it beats Fighting-types for the most part. The EVs are defensively inclined, and the moveset is also very bulk-like. Bulk Up is the main draw of this set, and with a lot of Rock-types in the tier (Among other types Gallade shits on) it can set up with ease. Safeguard is useful in guarding against status, Drain Punch is STAB and gives me recovery, and Zen Headbutt is Gallade's strongest Psychic-move, but its accuracy is a pain. (I lost a match just because I missed it)

Tenshi (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

Regirock's only here for a few reasons. For one, it beats Flying and Fire-types reliably, it sets up Stealth Rock, and it can paralyze with Thunder Wave. Stealth Rock is well, Stealth Rock, Stone Edge is Strong STAB, Thunder Wave is great for crippling opponents, and Drain Punch gives recovery and is useful as an attack to use against other Steel and Rock-types.

Patchouli (Uxie) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Signal Beam

Formerly a Samurott, this Uxie handles Fighting-types and sets up with Calm Mind. It keeps Samurott's niche of beating Quagsire via Giga Drain, and with Signal Beam it can hit other Psychic-types and opposing Dark-types. Colbur Berry helps with Knock Off, and the EVs are guaranteed to live a +2 Stone Edge from Rhydon and thus let me deal a lot of damage with Giga Drain. Psyshock is the STAB of choice because specials walls are rather common in this meta.

Yuugi (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

Kanga is filler on this team. But she serves a role in her priority, which is always helpful for a lot of situations. Fake Out is both a STAB and a good way to flinch opponents, Sucker Punch helps with prediction and beats Ghosts a bit easier, Earthquake is for Steel-types, and Double-Edge is a last resort and strong STAB move.

So, I want this team to be rated because, well, I just want to. I can't give a good reason. But if you have ACTUAL suggestions in order to improve the team (Moveset or Pokemon changes), let me know. Your suggestions help me become a better player. (That and trying to guess better, but that's only on me)

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yo, I would add some images to each of your pokemon just so it doesn't get locked. Just letting you know since I think this team is kinda neat, anyway overall the team looks pretty solid on paper, that being said, I have a few suggestions that could help to optimize your Touhou squad. The first change I would suggest is to make Samurott a full special attacker with taunt as the last move. What this does is help your match up against pokemon that get up hazards, which can be troublesome since your team lacks a defogger, plus you already have a bunch of priority on the your team so the inclusion of aqua jet seems kinda moot imo. The last change I would make is to change Regirock's ev spread to the following: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe with an impish nature. If I remember correctly, the attack investment lets you ohko most variants of Xatu which can stop you from getting rocks up which is important for a team with so many hard hitters. Overall, thats all can think of for now, hope I helped.

Tewi (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch

Sanae (Samurott) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Scarf Haunter / Sneasel / Bulk Up Gallade / Regirock / Special Samurott / Kangaskhan

Hey Melons, this team seems really solid, and there is really only change I would recommend either than what Rapture. is saying. Your team is really weak to opposing Gallade / Sawk at the moment, and the way I think you could fix that is by either replacing Gallade or Samurott with Calm Mind Uxie. This both helps your match up against strong attackers, as well as gives you something to switch in on opposing fighting types. I would usually reccomend using it over Gallade, but since your team is built around it, using it over Samurott is fine, as Giga Drain lets it beat Quagsire. It also helps your matchup against Malamar, which has the potential to sweep your team if Haunter dies. Overall a really solid team, and good luck getting back into NU.
Uxie @ Colbur Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 244 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Signal Beam

Changed Regirock's EV spread, though alternating between Taunt Samurott and CM Uxie to see which one fits my team better. Thanks for the feedback!

hey Melons-N-Soda

this team looks p solid, but then again when is sneasel + gallade not solid haha. anyways the biggest threat to your team that I can see is m-audino since scarf haunter has a tough time beating it since it gets a free +1 on sneasel and you have nothing solid to revenge it. (252 SpA Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 150-176 (36.5 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO) The CM Uxie suggestion is a good one and helps mitigate it, but since sneasel is on 70% of teams its kinda tough.

I think the most optimal change after the uxie suggestion would be to go with LO Haunter > Scarf Haunter. since i dont really see why you'd need the extra speed that a scarf provides considering you have a Sneasel, t-wave support w/ regirock, and Kangaskhan in order to R-Kill stuff. LO haunter lets you beat maudino with taunt, while still providing an opportunity to D-Bond against faster threats with the right prediction. The only other change that I would consider making is that if you do decide to go with Uxie > Rott (which you should), i would go with a spread of 120 HP / 252 SpAtk / 136 Spe. even tho you lose out on stuff like lilli and rotom, sneasel handles pretty much anything that you would normally outpace and you still outpace stuff like jolly gallade and ada sawk. The extra bulk allows you to chew a +2 Jolly Edge from a Rhydon and allows you to OHKO it, which can be crucial considering removing Rott removes your only priority that does significant damage to don.

cool team hope i helped.

: 120 HP / 252 SpAtk / 136 Spe w/ a Timid Nature

Haunter @ Life Orb | Levitate
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Timid
Taunt | Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | Destiny Bond

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)