SV NU NU Trick Room team

I've been playing around with trick room in multiple tiers and NU seems to be quite a nice fit for the strategy. The team at the moment consists of four Trick Room setters and two physical abusers. Pokepaste.

:sitrus-berry:
Exeggutor-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Flamethrower / Calm Mind​

Alolan Exeggutor offers great type coverage as it has a quite unconventional typing for a trick room setter. Harvest with Sitrus Berry makes for a great combo to keep his HP up and able to take neutral hits consecutively while setting up TR. Dragon Pulse and Giga Drain are my STAB moves of choice but one could argue Harvest provides enough healing so Energy Ball might be justified. For the last slot I have used both Flamethrower and Calm Mind, each with their own advantages. Flamethrower offers more coverage and a surprise factor (Tsareena is a common switch-in) but with some Harvest luck Calm Mind can make Al-Ex an unstoppable sweeper. EVs are for max offensive power but with Calm Mind set more defensive distribution could make sense. Tera Fire is a must as it turns Exegg's quadruple weakness ice into a resistance while giving STAB to Flamethrower.

:heavy-duty-boots:
Slowbro-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Shell Side Arm
- Fire Blast​

Galarian Slowbro is the only pokemon in the team with more of a utility role than offensive one altough it can still threaten specific Pokemon in the tier. Along with setting up trick room, Glowbro's job is to spread poison especially to common set up mons. Shell Side Arm hits Fairy-types for decent damage and Fire Blast can catch opposing Steel-types off-guard. Galarian Slowbro's great typing and ability allow it to set up trick room multiple times per match without suffering too much from it.

:power-herb:
Diancie @ Power Herb
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Meteor Beam
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock / Encore​

Diancie is my most common lead as, thanks to its bulk, it can survive almost anything but Steel-type attacks once before setting up trick room. Since the other half of the team is physically offensive, I opted for a special set with Power Herb. After consuming Power Herb diancie can threaten much of the tier with a boosted Moonblast but it also makes her an excellent knock-off absorber as it resists Dark naturally. I've used both Stealth Rock and Encore for the last moveslot and both have their advantages. Tera grass turns weaknesses into resistances and the defence EVs are to survive Earthquake from some common threats. It is crucial that Diancie stays alive for as long as possible if the opponent has Fire-type wallbreakers as the rest of the team is quite weak to Fire.

:leftovers:
Malamar @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots / Metronome
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fighting / Dark / Stellar
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond / Tera Blast​

The last trick room setter, who is also an abuser in its own right, is Malamar. While its defensive stats leave a lot to be desired for, with the right play it can steamroll most of what stands in its way. Contrary+Superpower is the go-to play with Malamar, each use boosting its attack and defense more. Knock Off has great synergy with Superpower as it's super effective to common Ghost-type switch-ins. Being the only Knock Off user of the team, Malamar should also attempt to remove known problematic items such as eviolites. Destiny Bond is a great pair with trick room as you can activate it on the last turn of trick room and if the opponent goes for a non-damaging move or a switch, Destiny Bond is still "active" for the next turn (as long as you are slower than the opposing mon). Tera Blast with tera Stellar is another solid option as it gives Malamar an unresisted stat-boosting attack thanks to Contrary. However, terastalization is usually more valuable on other team members which is why I have rarely used it.

:wide-lens:
Glastrier @ Wide Lens / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chilling Neigh
Tera Type: Ghost
Brave Nature
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance​

First of two physical sweepers of the team is Glastrier. Amazing stats, great ability and solid offensive movepool make Glastrier really hard to counter under trick room. Since neither Icicle Crash nor High Horsepower are 100% accurate I have opted for Wide Lens as my go-to item as it boosts the accuracies to 99% and 100% respectively. I do admit that it might be more a mental boost than anything else so if you don't get phased over a few misses here and there, Heavy-Duty Boots is a solid alternative too. If possible, Glastrier should be used as a late game sweeper because it plays so well with his ability. Tera Ghost is to take down one more opposing mon after trick room ends if you're certain they're going to hit you with Close Combat.

:choice-band:
Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
Tera Type: Steel
Brave Nature
- Poltergeist
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam​

Last but not least, Choice Banded Golurk completes the team with its almost unresisted STAB Poltergeist which deals massive amount of damage to anything that's not immune to it. Golurk has many great abilities out of which No Guard is my favorite as I can run Dynamic Punch as the second coverage move with high damage and 100% confusion chance. And no, there is no STAB Ground move on the moveset as it is really not necessary. Stone Edge deals super effective damage to Fire-types while also killing every bird the opponent might switch into in hopes of avoiding an Earthquake. Used correctly, Heavy Slam can annihilate common bulky Fairy-types of the tier that the rest of the team might have a hard time against. Tera Steel is to both boost said Heavy Slam but also giving solid defensive type coverage.

Last edited:

Miyoko

Nature lover
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Hi! I like the trick room idea. But a few things to be noted.
1. Please provide a pokepaste for the team. You have provided sets but please provide an overall pokepaste using pokepast.es
2. Please mention the matchups against which this team is weak. The matchups and pokemons against which u faced problems.
3. Certain changes are required for making this team better

i) Use Draco Meteor + Leaf Storm on :exeggutor-alola:
Basically since this mon is a trick room setter, u don't need harvest for anything. U can run frisk to scout for oppo's item. This will help u in late game. U can run eject pack + Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor Exeggutor-alola which helps u switch out freely. This will help u switch out safely with no risk of ur oppo doing a prediction.
:sv/exeggutor-alola: :eject pack:
Exeggutor-Alola @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm
- Flamethrower / Calm Mind
ii) U can try using damaging :slowbro-galar:
U can use Nasty Plot special attacking slowking-galar, u can set up trick room and then set up sweep with only one Pokemon just like u r doing with the malarmar. U can just replace toxic since it has no use for trick room teams so just try using trick room in that slot. U can also try Trick room + Three attacks. This means u can highly damage ur oppo before trick room ends. So try these things.
:sv/slowbro-galar: :Heavy-duty-boots:
Slowbro-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpA / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Overall the team was already very good. I liked the team a lot already even without these changes but u can try these things and I am pretty sure that they will help u a lot. Good luck laddering with this team and Thank you!
:sv/mew: Bye :sv/mew:

Hi! I like the trick room idea. But a few things to be noted.
1. Please provide a pokepaste for the team. You have provided sets but please provide an overall pokepaste using pokepast.es
Thanks! I have edited the Pokepaste in the first message with the current team configuration

2. Please mention the matchups against which this team is weak. The matchups and pokemons against which u faced problems.
I think the biggest bane of my existence with this team right now is wish+protect-spamming, especially :umbreon: with foul play and toxic. It can single-handedly kill any trick room momentum I have going on and spread poison around while doing it. Foul play also deals massive damage to my physical sweepers which means they don't get many attempts at taking :Umbreon: down. :Espeon: and :Sylveon: have w+p sets too but they are much less threatening to me due to their typing and stats.

i) Use Draco Meteor + Leaf Storm on :exeggutor-alola:
I tried this set for a while and to be frank, it doesn't work as well as the harvest set. I really like Exegg's ability to switch in and completely wall certain choice-locked water-types such as :basculegion: and :inteleon: and harvest lets it do it throughout a match. With the eject pack I felt like it was more of a one-trick-pony and it would be toast the second time it entered the field. However, I did switch back to using calm mind which works especially well with harvest against special hitters. I can set up trick room and take a hit, berry heals me and when the next hit comes I can already have one calm mind boost under the belt.

ii) U can try using damaging :slowbro-galar:
The nasty plot set is a clear improvement on the team because like you said, now Glowbro can actually threaten some mons instead of just serving as a utility. The attacks I'm running are fire blast and sludge wave; I did try with psyshock for a while but it feels like it doesn't effectively counter anything in the meta like the other two attacks do.

Thanks a lot for input!

Miyoko

Nature lover
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
I tried this set for a while and to be frank, it doesn't work as well as the harvest set. I really like Exegg's ability to switch in and completely wall certain choice-locked water-types such as :basculegion: and :inteleon: and harvest lets it do it throughout a match. With the eject pack I felt like it was more of a one-trick-pony and it would be toast the second time it entered the field. However, I did switch back to using calm mind which works especially well with harvest against special hitters. I can set up trick room and take a hit, berry heals me and when the next hit comes I can already have one calm mind boost under the belt.
I can understand the issue u faced, u can use Harvest set then. I didn't realise that part that exeggutor-alola can easily hit water mons and tried to neglect it since it was a trick room setter. That's why I said u to use that. Glad to hear that the other changes worked :)

One last update on the team as I went 15-1 on the ladder after some tweaks. Currently standing at #31 on SVNU ladder:
1709245272185.png

Here are the changes versus first post:

:Exeggutor-Alola: @ :Sitrus-Berry:
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind​

I reverted back to my old CM set and boy does it work well. Like I said in another post, there are some notable choice item water types that Exegg loves to switch into. This gives me either a free Trick Room or a free Calm Mind. This set also completely walls a wish-protect :umbreon: if it runs TWave instead of Toxic.

:Diancie: @ :Power-Herb:
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Meteor Beam
- Moonblast
- Earth Power​

Instead of Stealth Rock (or Encore), I opted for Earth Power as a third coverage move. Especially after one Meteor Beam boost it works well against Pokemon who resist Moonblast and if I can't afford to use a two-turn move. Having a Ground move also means I'm not entirely walled by any Steel type, notably :copperajah: or the occasional :Klefki:.

:Slowbro-Galar: @ :Heavy-Duty-Boots:
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SpA / 100 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot​

As outlined in my previous post, Glowbro is now more offensive with Nasty Plot and two attacks. Steel types love to switch into predicting Poison moves which allows him to either get a boost or surprise with a Fire Blast.

:Malamar: @ :Leftovers:
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fighting
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond​

Last and the least notable change is Malamar's IV and nature changes. I no longer run min speed on him which opens surprisingly many doors for counter plays. It now outspeeds opposing :umbreon:, :hitmontop:, :brute-bonnet:, :scrafty:, :klefki: and many more while still being slow enough to be an asset under Trick Room. This has allowed me to lead with Malamar more often and try to get momentum from the get go.

Full Pokepaste can be found here; Glastrier's and Golurk's sets have not changed. At the moment the team has quite nice synergy and coverage for the current meta. Tomorrow the tiers will update so it will be interesting to see if that requires me to change anything. Right now I couldn't name a single Pokemon that is a constant threat to the team. There have been times when a physical sweeper that outspeeds everything has been able to run over the team pretty much unresisted. Most notably this happens with :choice-band::emboar: but that requires that both :diancie: is down and I can't Tera Fire :Exeggutor-Alola:.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)