Other Metagames Nuke Em!' [A Monotype Ice Team] (Peaked 1619 ELO)

Eyyyyyyy this is Uncle Stunny again, and I gots an ice team! A while ago I made an ice team that actually got accepted as a starter team, so this time I wanted to make something out of the ordinary. I actually got the layout for this while tutoring Joshz, so I took it and added my own sets! When fiddling with it on the ladder, surprisingly it did fantastic on only the trial run. I managed to go 16-1 for a while, which surprised me because ice never does that well on the ladder. Soon later after that, it managed to peak above 1600s on the Monotype Ladder, which is amazing, and has only been done 1 other time in ORAS. Here is the proof for that if your curious. As for ladder peak, all I remember was I was somewhere above #50, here's the proof for that at the time before I went a bit higher later on in the contest. Mega Glalie lemmie mention, is a ticking time bomb. It's a pretty good Physical Wallbreaker/Suicide Kamikaze/Whatever other terms it goes by, it's just really cool (plus nobody uses it!). Here's how the teambuilding worked:

So when I started helping Josh make an ice team, he really wanted to try out Mega Glalie, since he was personally not a fan of Mega Abomasnow, and he wasn't keen on doing Megaless either, so we branched out from there.

Considering he didn't want Mega Abomasnow, we decided to then add Lapras, so we could have a good chance of beating water, so it isn't just Kyurem alone. Lapras is also very nice in the fact that it is 1 of 3 viable checks to scizor. It compliments Glalie well since it's a nice bulky special attacker, and can usually handle most of the things that (somehow) wall it from the physical side.

Hazards are almost always a must, no matter what type of team it is. We also needed a handy mon that could resist fire attacks, so we eventually decided on adding Piloswine. With Eviolite, its defenses are multiplied greatly, and its already natural bulk becomes even better. Thick Fat is very helpful for incoming fire attacks, making him an easy switch in.

The team was lacking speed, so the 4th mon we decided on was Weavile. Psychic is also an overused type right now as well, so he also helped a ton with sweeping that. I can't complain, he's pretty awesome, and he's a great cleaner in general.

After some time thinking, the 5th mon we decided on was Articuno. The reason it was at first chosen over Avalugg, the preferred choice of hazards control, was because the team was very physical-offensive heavy. Articuno also helped a bit against fighting, seeing as it is neutral to the type, and Hurricane hit pretty hard with little special attack investment. It was also fun to spam it for confusion, get toxic going, and take advantage of pressure, it was pretty evil.

The last mon chosen for the team was Kyurem-B, which is pretty much a necessity on all ice teams. At first, we ran it Scarfed seeing that weavile was the only pokemon with good speed, which made sense, and it also, along with Articuno, helped keep Keldeo for the most part in check. The team's layout looked pretty good, so I took it, changed a few things, and called it a team.

Tinkering with Articuno was fun, but it was too weak to SR to be an efficient defogger, and it really cocnerned me that it also took away Piloswine's SR, especially when Piloswine was out, so I was stuck playing without hazards. In addition, the team had problems with Terrakion, Bisharp, and other common physical attackers Articuno couldn't handle well. That's where I swapped it out for Avalugg, I wanted to at least give Articuno a chance, but in the end it just didn't fit. With it being gone, I changed Kyurem's set to Specially Biased LO, given the team could easily be walled by common physical walls, so having that was helpful, despite the loss of speed. This was the 1st product I settled on.

After a while, the team felt lacking without Scarf Kyurem, it was harder to pull off a successful sweep with only Weavile. That being said I changed Kyurem back to being scarf, but then there was the problem that I was lacking in special attackers. I've always wanted to try Specs Froslass out, so I could still have a way to beat Psychic, as well as still have a fast attacker. It also gives me an Immunity to Fighting, so that matchup was slightly easier. With Lapras, it also formed an Immunity Core against Keldeo's 2 main STABS, so that was also not as frighting to handle. This eventually became the final product.

The Nuke (Glalie-Mega) @ Glalitite

Ability: Inner Focus
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge / Frustration
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

The team was pretty much built around the underused Mega Glalie. He is so much fun, and can wreck a lot of mons within the metagame. I opted for Adamant instead of Jolly because, I'd rather boost it's sorta mediocre attack stat instead of risking speed tying with the plethora of base 100s, mainly Mega Charizard Y. Glalie is an absolute powerhouse, and an overall underrated physical attacker. Once it's weak/it's done it's job/needs to take out something fast, it would just go Kaboom. (Fun Fact: When Refrigerate boosted, Explosion gains a base power of 325, not counting STAB.) It's so powerful, it can even 2KO mons that would normally resist ice attacks, that in itself is a pretty amazing feat. If you'd like you can use Frustration over Double Edge to avoid recoil, but I see it as already fairly frail, so I preferred more damage over health, given it could just explode at any time in the match. Here's some Juicy Calcs:
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 283-334 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 327-385 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 189-222 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 151-178 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 339-400 (111.5 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Lapras @ Choice Specs

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Frost Breath

Lapras is fairly new to the scene for ice monos, but that does not mean it's a force to be reckoned with. With 294 special attack, yea it's nothing special, however with Choice Specs, its boosted to much more usable levels. With the ability Water Absorb, it does a great job of cleaning water teams, and healing a tiny bit on switch ins (scald is very common right now, so that's a very nice feature to have). Freeze Dry allows you to hit water mons supper effectively, which is almost like pseudo Bolt Beam Coverage in 1 attack. With it's water typing, it's also neutral to fire attacks, and also has the ability to hit them super effectively. It's HP stat is giant, and its defenses are above average, making it a pretty nifty tank. 136 speed evs allows you to outspeed 8 speed invested Mega Scizor, meaning, with Hidden Power Fire, you will almost always OHKO it after SR. Frost Breath is a pretty nifty tool, as it can check physical defensive Mega Sableye, even after it's boosted. It also helps break common set up mons such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, ect.

Piloswine @ Eviolite

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 176 HP / 92 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard / Icicle Spear

Piloswine is the Special Defensive tank for the team, as well as hazards setter. With Thick Fat, he is the team's only fire type switchin. Stone Edge is to help check Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona primarily, being able to live most of their attacks. For the last slot, I prefer Ice Shard as it can chip at weakened pokemon, allowing for fast and easy take outs/revenge kills. However, if you'd want the additional stab, by all means Icicle Spear is also pretty good.

Froslass @ Choice Specs

Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Frost Breath
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

Froslass at the time of trying it was very new to me. I've never been a fan of the suicide lead set, because outside of that it's pretty useless when there's so much more you can do with it. A Choice Specs set allows it to gain a much more offensive presence, and thanks to it's part Ghost Typing, its completely immune to Fighting attacks! Frost Breath is preferred over Ice Beam, again because it can break through (typically) Calm Mind boosting sweepers since it'll always result in a guaranteed critical hit. Switcheroo can be pretty handy, especially on walls/boosting sweepers, so it locks them into 1 attack, and allow you to develop your next plan of action with a bit more ease. With a Timid Nature, it's Special Attack is definatley a bit underwhelming, more so than Lapras, but, you just have to trust that it can do its job well.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake / Roar
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

The team's Physical Wall, and hazards control. Avalugg is literally a godsent for ice, with gargantuan defense, and a usable attack stat to check some of Ice's deadliest threats. This list includes: Terrakion, Bisharp, Victini, Mega Lopunny, and much more. Your closest to reliable means of revenge killing major threats. With Sturdy, it can sometimes take out other threats, on emergency. He's a must on ice teams, you almost never can't have a good ice team without him.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Focus Blast

The team's late game sweeper/cleaner. Coupled with great bulk, amazing attack stat, and it's speed tier thanks to Choice Scarf, he is 9 times of of 10 my go to mon to finish up games. There's not very much that can take a STAB outrage. With its bulk it also has the ability to take 1 V-Create from Vinctini (in the off chance Piloswine and Avalugg are out), so that can be pretty handy for taking that out. All and all great mon, this is pretty much a must to have on every ice team along with Avalugg.

Threats:
Oh Boy.....may wanna grab some Coffee for this one.

Fighting Teams: This is a very difficult matchup, however doable. If you manage to take Cobalion, Terrakion (and most Priority if Froslass is taken out early) Froslass and/or Kyurem can sweep.
Steel Teams: These in general, Mega Scizor especially, are also an autoloss 8 times out of 10. There isn't a lot you can do, especially if they have Doublade to block Rapid Spinning hazards stack away. Lapras, Kyurem, and Froslass can be helpful here, but, there's only so much you can do.

Fire Teams: Not an autoloss! Yay! Anyways, this 1 you at least have a better chance. It's all about taking out Char Y, and fast scarfers, and pressuring with hazards to prepare for a sweep with Kyurem.

These are the major threats to worry about, I'll save the time and not go through the more minor things that are a lot easier to handle. Thanks for checking out my ice RMT though, I hope you enjoy the team, because I certainly have! It is arguably 1 of my best builds alongside my Ground Team, so you know its great! :)

If its alright, I'm gonna keep a few custom spreads to myself ;)

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Frost Breath

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 176 HP / 92 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

Froslass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Frost Breath
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Focus Blast​

Joshz I am super happy to be your tutor bro, Thanks for making this team with me, I hope you get as much use out of it as I am!

dusk raimon Thanks for convincing me to make this RMT! <3 you bro (no homo)

Anttya Your 1 of my best friends on PS (even though I completely and utterly flood your pms rip), and you helped me clean up the team a bit. Your awesome fam! :D

scpinion Notice me sempai! Anyways, tagging you bc your an awesome RO (your probably told that enough lol), and would be cool to have this RMT on Team Showcase, as the only other ice team is my main 1 rip.

iVid Great friend, your a great presence on the forums (I'm terrible lol, but, I'm trying my best at least). Your just awesome lol

Suspensse Stealing my ground strats much imao? Anyways, great friend, I love battling you on the ladder/just asking for advide lol.

ThimoTheUltimateBOBO The Gang's all here lol. Anyways, you make me laugh a lot, and your just amazingly awesome period.

Unfortunatley since I was laddering for a test run of the team, I didn't save a lot of replays because I didn't expect the team to do as good as it did. Most of them are good enough though, I'll maybe add more once I ladder more with the team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-289984051 vs Ghost
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-289969951 vs Psychic
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-289958890 vs Dark
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-289954409 vs Bug

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry I didn't get to rate this yet, but since I promised here it goes.

So, since your team is an autoloss against Fighting as of now, I'd like to make a really interesting suggestion. Agility Articuno can have a field day against Fighting-type teams if it has the opportunity to set it, and is a really unexpected set next to the bulky variants. Now, the real issue with this change, is it doesn't really have a slot to put it in based on your team. Honestly, I'd suggest putting it over Mega Glalie or Weavile. Both swaps come with downfalls, the former making you lose the Pokemon you built the team around and a great wallbreaker, and the latter making you lose Knock Off and a speedy cleaner late game. I'd honestly suggest getting rid of Mega Glalie, because besides being a nuke, it doesn't really help late game.

From there, I feel like you can make your Kyurem-Black set more Physical, as you now have two effective Special Attackers. I'd also suggest making it Choice Scarf > Life Orb, as you lack a lot of immediate Speed on your team. From that point, the team is even stronger, and can handle Fighting-type teams more effectively.

>
or

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Fire]

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earth Power / Ice Beam / Iron Head / Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Rock Slide

Yoooooooo stun, cool ice team you got there, if you wanna avoid threats to charizard y and mega medicham i suggest making mega glalies ability Jolly > Adamant to help make it 328 with charizard y and mega medicham to not worry about not outspeeding them. I also suggest adding in a cloyster to help out in dealing with fire teams, psychic teams, and bug teams. After 1 shell smash its over, and it has much more viable physical capabilities. I suggest Changing Weavile to Cloyster as weavile is good for its speed and knock off ability, but ehhh its not gonna do as much unless your facing psychic teams or normal teams with eviolite pokemon.

Yoooooooo stun, cool ice team you got there, if you wanna avoid threats to charizard y and mega medicham i suggest making mega glalies ability Jolly > Adamant to help make it 328 with charizard y and mega medicham to not worry about not outspeeding them. I also suggest adding in a cloyster to help out in dealing with fire teams, psychic teams, and bug teams. After 1 shell smash its over, and it has much more viable physical capabilities. I suggest Changing Weavile to Cloyster as weavile is good for its speed and knock off ability, but ehhh its not gonna do as much unless your facing psychic teams or normal teams with eviolite pokemon.
With changing Glalie to Jolly, you only have a 50-50 chance of dealing with those threats. Instead of taking those risks, I made it a full pledged physical wallbreaker instead. As for cloyster, tbh I may try that, the 1 problem I have with it is it's weakness to priority (once its down to 1 HP, and the opponet has an unweakened mon that holds priority, that's it), I probably wouldn't replace weavile for it though. I may just try Kyurem scarfed like twix suggested, and preserve glalie and Lapras a bit more to deal with physical walls. Thanks for the suggestions though! :)

Lets see... cloyster COULD be a big boost... especially vs.. well ice
tbh I love the team enough as is stunny :) in most case it looks like a solid no cloyster ice, something rarely done

With changing Glalie to Jolly, you only have a 50-50 chance of dealing with those threats. Instead of taking those risks, I made it a full pledged physical wallbreaker instead. As for cloyster, tbh I may try that, the 1 problem I have with it is it's weakness to priority (once its down to 1 HP, and the opponet has an unweakened mon that holds priority, that's it), I probably wouldn't replace weavile for it though. I may just try Kyurem scarfed like twix suggested, and preserve glalie and Lapras a bit more to deal with physical walls. Thanks for the suggestions though! :)
You could try using SS Cloyster with Explosion if you REALLY want to get rid of a water type, even Empoleon doesn't take it all that well (nearly OHKOs at +2) not really the best option out there but considering how it makes late-game cleaning easier, I think it's something. Otherwise seems like a pretty fun and solid team to me :D

Man,mono-fighting totally destroys this team,and highly recommend having hail up,cause this team is gonna need it.Otherwise,it seems pretty fun,especially with the underestimated mega glalie.I would really advise you to run Jolly Glalie,cuz if you want to go for the last chance explosion,you might not want to get outsped.

Man,mono-fighting totally destroys this team,and highly recommend having hail up,cause this team is gonna need it.Otherwise,it seems pretty fun,especially with the underestimated mega glalie.I would really advise you to run Jolly Glalie,cuz if you want to go for the last chance explosion,you might not want to get outsped.
Fighting has about an 80% chance against Ice, there really isn't anything you can do about it, the same situation is with steel as well. As for Jolly Glalie, again, wgat are you outspeeding? Your only going 50/50 to speed tie with base 100s, which I kinda see as a waste as opposed to guaranteed power. Thnx tho.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fighting has about an 80% chance against Ice, there really isn't anything you can do about it, the same situation is with steel as well. As for Jolly Glalie, again, wgat are you outspeeding? Your only going 50/50 to speed tie with base 100s, which I kinda see as a waste as opposed to guaranteed power. Thnx tho.
Running Jolly can give you more of a chance to take on Charizard Y with Glalie (50/50 is better than 0), although that's about it.

The extra power is a blessing, but getting that explosion off and not getting yourself outsped is gold.If you really want to have a chance against fighting types,articuno might be considered,but 6 pokemon slot syndrome is getting to that team,and i really think nothing can be done about that.Running hp fire on lapras might take care of the steel,but then again,only one pokemon has access to that,and getting lapras in safely might have you to use a pokemon as a death fodder,but thats pretty much what can safe you from getting swept by steel.

The extra power is a blessing, but getting that explosion off and not getting yourself outsped is gold.If you really want to have a chance against fighting types,articuno might be considered,but 6 pokemon slot syndrome is getting to that team,and i really think nothing can be done about that.Running hp fire on lapras might take care of the steel,but then again,only one pokemon has access to that,and getting lapras in safely might have you to use a pokemon as a death fodder,but thats pretty much what can safe you from getting swept by steel.
Again bud, outsped by what? (besides Mega Char Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)