Tournament NUPL VI - General Talk Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
couple ppl asked for this in the nu discord. i did most before the w1 went out, but the rest is according to lineups in it. formatting is kinda rough and it was a bit rushed, but i hope people enjoy!

FINCH POWER RANKS

Reckless Rhydons:

Cdumas20500
M Dragon13000
lax12000
dodmen11000
Snou9000
HANTSUKI7000 dundies
HJAD6500
Askov3000
teal63000
DurzaOffTopic3000

SM: lax - Good player as shown by results this past SPL, but many question how motivated he will be after being unjustly robbed of a manager spot, which likely led to him only going 12k. If he is active and keeps his head in the game, then he will likely go positive, which is worth the 12k price tag, but that is not a sure thing.
SM: dodmen - Great player when he doesn't click too much, but has tendencies to make things harder than they need to be because of just that. Has an underrated grasp on NU and although I disagree with him on stuff like Sneasel, he sure as hell knows what he is talking about when it comes to NU in general and a lot of people do not take this into consideration. No activity or motivation issues either, so likely another positive starter here.
SM: Cdumas - Part of the ungodly Ruiners jerk, alongside lax, that seemed to frequent NU. He did really well in SSNL and actually knows what is going on, so pair that with him being a top-notch SPL/WCOP/Snake OU player to begin with and I'd say you get another strong starter. Not as surefire as the first two in my personal opinion, but likely has the highest upside of the three to compensate if he stays up-to-date with the tier and teams.
ORAS: Snou/dundies - Inexperienced slot with ok overall player who will likely use Teddeh/Lax teams here, nothing special and will likely struggle to break even. EDIT: they p much swapped this slot and dodmen's sm slot, but what I said for both still stands
BW: HJAD - Guy who has rebranded as a PU player and honestly isn't awful, but uses some pretty questionable stuff and tends to bank on luck more often than most players (which he tends to get). Yea, I'm salty about that BW NU series we had a while back, but anyway he's solid enough to probably go even.
DPP: M Dragon - The GOAT, hands down unstoppable here.
ADV: teal6 - teal is kinda a goofy player and I think he will be pretty low effort, but he has insane zen and he fits in on pretty much any team, so he should do alright. ADV field is actually respectable this season though, so I don't expect him to do insanely well unless he has more experience than I think. EDIT: apparently durza is in this tier, so nvm they have one 0-7 slot among a buncha fire ass other slots!
Bo3: Teddeh - Teddeh has established himself as solid in SM after a strong SPL showing and he has been one of the better ORAS players for a long time, but his BW game is a big question mark. With only HJAD as support, this could hold him back, but with his two other strong suits, he should very much be able to compensate. All things considered, solid enough to go positive, but not a sure thing.

subs: Askov and DurzaOffTopic - Pretty random grouping of two not-very-well known users, including the notoriously cringeworthy DurzaOffTopic. Won't matter much with their line-up, thankfully.

Overall: 8/10 -- Few holes in old generations (mainly ORAS, but BW/ADV do not stand out as good either), but they're capable enough there to be ok considering top notch SM potential and great DPP/Bo3. Synergy will likely be a big factor here considering that Lax and Dodmen are friendly, Lax and Cdumas worked together in SPL, and Teddeh has ties to a number of people on this team dating back throughout his time in tours. High expectations for this team, but they are by no means outright favorites considering the strong competition, so execution will be big.

---

Vibrant Vivillons:

shiloh21500
Earth12000
col499500
obii8500
Ajna5000
Gondra4000
Gunner Rohan3000
Slide3000
DrReuniclus3000

SM: TDK - Obviously a solid player, but he tends to have some "off" tournaments in various PLs historically. In terms of predicting if this is one of them, I doubt it will be. He is surrounded by relatively friendly faces such as obii, Gondra, col49, rozes, and manager Eternally. He has sufficient support and plenty of reason to be motivated given the aforementioned synergy, so I'd expect TDK to go positive, even in a tough SM pool.
SM: Gondra - Gondra is a good player who is not afraid to take risks, so this likely puts him a step ahead of your average NU forum player here given team support, but he also is prone to making potentially costly misplays at times and if he is not familiar with the tier, then this could hurt him, so I expect him to go roughly even with a high ceiling and a low floor proving to ultimately balance out.
SM: Gunner Rohan - Always had a bit of a thing going with NU and he's found his way onto this team once more. Gunner is prone to misplaying as well, but he should still be able to hang. I expect him to range from subpar to average depending on how up-to-date he is with current NU, but this is sufficient for an SM3.
ORAS: earth - Promiscuous discord posting and forum persona presence aside, earth has established himself in NU recently and with his main supporter rozes on the roster, he should be fine with teams and preparation. Execution is not exactly something he stands out for, never really striking me as too flashy or high ceiling of a player, but he is good enough to compete with just about anyway still. I think he is middle of the pack, but I am not sure if the ceiling to dominate is there when compared to other ORAS players.
BW: obii - Doesn't really have any BW experience and team support of Rozes is nothing special either when it comes to a metagame that predates him. All things considered, probably a bit below average here.
DPP: col49 - I mean sure he will do well if he shows up and plays, but lmao the odds of that happening are about the same as their discord channel being able to survive a week without earth spamming some random chicks in the chat followed by "mood" or something similarly edgy with a hint of flirtation. Hopefully DrReuniclus or Ajna can fill in here as I have no clue who the fuck Slide is.
ADV: shiloh - Good player who doesn't always manage end games well, but has probably a few more eyes on him than normal because he is coming off the tourban, so I expect him to go even or positive even if this is far from familiar territory to the him.
Bo3: eternally - Cooled off as of late and not sure if he ever has touched BW, but decent ORAS and strong SM likely land him at least a bit above the bottom of the Bo3 competition. Wouldn't bet on him going positive here, however.

subs: Ajna, Slide, and DrReuniclus - Nothing too out of the ordinary here. Ajna sticks to RU primarily, but is a fine overall player, and DrReuniclus has been on this team before, so he should be sufficient as a substitute. No real idea who the fuck Slide is though.

Overall: 7.5/10 with potential to be much higher if things click, but lower if they get off to a slow start -- More holes/uncertainties than the Rhydons, but also higher upside. If col49 is active and TDK/Gondra play to their full potential, then they are the best team hands down imo. If multiple of those do not work out as planned, then it may be a long season for Rozes and co.

---

Moneymaker Musharnas:

cb jose altuve corvettes15000 tangelo
Chill Shadow10000
Shaneghoul9500
Astolfo9000
Z+V7500
Garay oak7500
fatty7500
Megazard6000
Santu4500
lolbro4500
Eternal Spirit4000
Shuckleking873000
Sir Kay3000
yogi3000
Robert Alfons3000
Gefährlicher Random3000

SM: Gefährlicher Random -I mean you almost make it too easy when you have the word "random" in your name for fucks sake, but obviously this guy is a complete unknown to the tournament community and will probably end up being one of a five man rotating SM slot given this massive ass roster!
SM: Z+V - Tendencies to "click" and take unnecessary risks hold Z+V back from time to time, but he has a steady grasp on the tier and a knack for effective innovation that is respectable. This is a strong field, but I think he will be up to the task and do alright. I expect him to go about average and put in a lot of work on his team, so consider him easily worth the 7.5k price tag.
SM: Garay oak - Assuming he cares and tries, Garay oak is a really dangerous value pick here. He has potential to outplay anyone out there and he also is competent at NU. I have pretty high expectations for this slot and can actually see him going positive.
ORAS: Shaneghoul - This guy is kinda washed given what I know, but he at least used to be solid during part of ORAS, so maybe he will be ok? Can't see him doing much better than even tho, if he can pull that off. Kinda weak spot, but not a complete hole at least, especially with depth.
BW: Chill Shadow - Inexperienced in BW NU, but ready to explore and a good overall player, so probably fine.
DPP: fatty - If active, he's alright. If not, then probs gonna end up being a platoon spot like multiple others here.
ADV: Megazard - Mediocre compared to competition, but surprisingly solid overall, so he will hang a little, but I still expect subpar results.
Bo3: Eternal Spirit - Good player who will get held back by top-notch competition with actual tier competencies. His team support is also all over the place, which can be good, but can also be problematic. Potential to do ok, but likely will struggle against the other Bo3s.

subs: wayyyyy too fucking many to list! they are important here though because you bet your ass raseri is gonna spread playing time around like money in a communist society, so hf lads!

Overall: 3.5/10 -- It could be worse, but Raseri really did not focus much on forming a strong starting line-up so much as support and numbers, which likely will hurt this team when it comes to actually winning weeks against opposing strong starting rosters. Miracles can happen and they have before, so do not count them out, especially with SM NU GOAT Tangelo in the wings.

---

Busted Team Player Cats:

Hogg22000
soulgazer16000
crayon pop10500
Poek9500
Lycans7500
Stan Soojung7000
Lednah4500
Sam3000
zugubu royale3000

SM: Rodriblutar - Soft-spoken, but obviously one of the best NUers right now. Should go positive for sure.
SM: Poek - Seemed to lose some motivation for Pokemon during SPL, but he's now in a buncha mini-team tours, so perhaps he has gained some steam. Good player who can do well with FLCL teams.
SM: Lycans - Similar to Poek in terms of skill and position -- should do alright with FLCL teams.
ORAS: Lednah - Unsure of if he has any ORAS experience, but he will get teams and do alright probably. Just may be outclassed by some of the better mains in the field, but not necessarily a hole here.
BW: soulgazer - Probably the best BWer in the field.
DPP: crayon pop - Idk if he plays DPP NU, but fine overall player. Should go neutral or maybe positive a little, but tough competition.
ADV: Hogg - I honestly had hogg down as a 10k ADV option, but he went for like 22k, which is probably a bit steep, but he's probably good enough to hold his own in ADV and win some. With that said, the field is far from as weak as it was a couple years back, so we'll see if he can pull away and dominate to match the value of his price tag.
Bo3: FLCL - Probably the best NU player oat aside from yours truly (jokes, FLCL should do well obv).

subs: Stan Soojung, Sam, zugubu royale - probably ok considering the first and third provide some new gen support and Sam can sub into whatever, especially ADV

Overall: 7.5/10 -- Probably has the least holes of any roster, but has a few slots that are not as strong as the others. The thing that makes them great is that these spots are still filled by generally solid and experienced tournament players and they all have team support, so it should be enough to do well and likely make their way into playoffs.

---

Listless Lilligants:

Tricking23500
Sacri'14000
PursuitOfHappiny7500
Jarii7000
robjr7000
amber lamps5500
quziel3000
Laurens3000
Shadestep3000
Orphic3000

SMU: PursuitOfHappiny - Has easily sufficient metagame knowledge, but clearly lacks experience in tournaments and is likely very raw. Low expectations here in terms of getting wins individually, but likely worth the price tag in terms of team support and expertise in NU.
SM: robjr - Rob's pretty fire tbh, but idk if he will be able to do great against a strong field. Probably average.
SM: Sacri' - Sacri's had a great track record in NU thus far and I expect him to go positive.
ORAS: Rapture - For years, I have known Rapture/Shadowtags as a council member and contributor, but never have I once really known what he did or if he was any good at Pokemon. I'm pretty sure he has had a team before once or twice and played before, too, but I still do not have the slightest clue as to how good he is. If he hasn't stood out to me at this point, either I am fucking dumb as shit and ignorant or he's probably nothing special. Leaning towards the latter atm, but both are likely true tbh.
BW: Jarii - No clue why he is in BW and it seems like a big mismatch ngl. I do not think he has much experience and he isn't going to pick it up enough to compete with top end players over the course of one tournament, so this is likely a hole.
DPP: amber lamps - Mediocre, but good enough to win a couple probs.
ADV: Kushalos - Kushaloat will go positive wherever you put him, but buckle the fuck up before he starts clicking moves lmao.
Bo3: Tricking - For the most expensive player in the draft, he can keep up playing wise for sure in the Bo3 slot, but I think that he is disadvantaged in terms of tier knowledge and teams (idt he builds a ton?). Overall, he will probably go about average as this stuff hasn't stopped him before a ton, but yea I am not sure if the hefty price tag is fitting.

subs: quziel, Laurens, Shadestep, Orphic - All SM/ORAS dudes that will be helpful and likely worth the 3k as a sub/spot starter, but aren't great players themselves that will standout. One of the better sub groups, probably. Daily reminder that Laurens's teams are WOAT btw.

Overall: 4.5/10 -- Some strong points and definitely quite a few average ones, but the fire power aside from 2-3 guys simply is not there and there are a couple potential holes, so it leaves them closer to the bottom of the pack than the middle.

---

Dilly Dewgongs

Tangelo10500 Meeps
Bughouse10500
Hikari10500
ADVANTAGE7500
bugzinator7000
CanadianWifier6500
Bushtush5500
qsns5000
cb aaron judge5000
Welli0u3500
0Nl3000
snagaa3000

SM: snagaa - I mean he has a weird view on risk-vs-reward, but he is at least decent enough to win a few games in this field. I wouldn't expect a ton, but should be worth the 3k price tag, yea sure.
SM: cb jose altuve corvettes - If he actually tries hard, he's good for sure. He tends to mishandle late-game situations when he doesn't think things through fully, but he has enormous upside in terms of creativity and metagame knowledge from the builder, so if he cares in this team setting, then expect big things. Better than tangy, anyway, lol.
SM: honchkrow - Tennis is alright and has a style that actually handles the metagame's norms quite well usually, but it may take a week or two to ease back into big tournament play for him, so we'll see how that goes for him.
ORAS: Christo - Solid, but not top notch in an NU setting. Should do well and probably go a bit positive here.
BW: cb aaron judge - Honestly idk the first thing about cbt in BW NU post-2013, but I have no clue why Bugzy isn't here when he went 8-0 last time he played this shit and has some absurd NUPL record whereas cbt is going to be coming straight out of like SPL 5 with this shit. Free my dude Bugzy rn.
DPP: Bughouse - Speaking of ??? decisions, Hikari is also benched and Bughouse is in DPP. Bughouse was a fire ass teammate last year and he got robbed as shit, but he still went negative and Hikari is a long-time solid tournamnet player with a solid NUPL track record, so this is a head scratcher, too. I expect Bughouse to go like 3-4 or so depending on the small things. He's alright, but can get outmatched by the top end players for sure. Might not be worth the 10.5k price tag, but will be a great team presence and fine line-up add on, just really unsure about it in this context, especially with Bushtush of all people in ADV lmao.
ADV: Bushtush - Lmao it's bad enough that we got this black Canadian ass inflating his already far too large ego by being the most expensive dude on a team for some unknown reason in OUPL, but now you're letting him play some old man pokemon so he can act like some experienced veteran when really he's just the new kid on the block that runs crying home to mommy whenever he falls off his training wheels bicycle aka whenever he plays a good player not named ABR and gets tossed as shit. This no ADV NU player lmao. jk jk bush is probs solid bop
Bo3: The Goomy - He's my individual w1 opp, so I won't say a ton, but he's hella creative and I'm looking forward to some good games!

subs: bugzinator, CanadianWifier, qsns, Welli0u, 0Nl - Fucking semi-army in this bitch. Free Bugzy, but yea these subs are probably gonna be pretty quiet, but can substitute in and do alright for the most part. They have plenty of support in line-up anyway.

Overall: 5.5/10 -- Good team, but not great. Could be a bit better with a different line-up, but has the tools to be a middle-of-the-pack playoff contender. They also have a lot of synergy and motivated guys, so that makes them dangerous and I definitely factor that in. I like this draft, but I don't love it.

---

Klinklang Gang:

jake13000
Nat12000
Disjunction10500
Evan.8500
Honko6000
Kaori5000
Ren-chon4500
Luck O' the Irish3000
AJB3000
Coconut3000

SM: blunder - Obviously blunder is fire and he has always had a knack for SM NU, so he should do really well, imo.
SM:. Evan. - His teams can be ass, but he's an alright player and should go a bit below even given the strong competition, but I think the big ifs are regarding activity throughout the entire tournament and potential ability to bring good teams, bc his ceiling is likely much higher than some other tier mains.
SM: Nat - Probably solid, should do alright with support.
ORAS: Ren-chon - Ren-chon is hella underrated and I actually expect him to break even, if not go positive. This was one of the best value picks in the whole draft imo.
BW: jake - Zeb is washed as shit, he'll go even because the field is full of dudes who don't play BW for shit, but don't be shocked if he fucks around by accident some games. Old man still got the touch, but he doesn't always have the full long-term thought process what I'm getting out of things.
DPP: Honko - Honko is always around, but never does amazing. With that said, he will put up a few wins probably, which is enough for 6k, and it's not really a hole in the line-up by any means.
ADV: Disjunction - Disjunction is solid and will go about even in this pretty strong ADV pool. He just needs to find time to prep when he's handling a buncha other stuff because I don't take him as a pick a team and play type to a successful extent.
Bo3: Hootie - Hootie's played like hella ass lately and he knows this as shit. He probably has some hella heavy ass chip on his shoulder, but if he doesn't take that into mind and just plays his game he'll do ok. I don't expect him to put up big numbers in Bo3 when he has to play BW and face fire ass competition tho.

subs: Kaori, Luck O' the Irish, AJB, Coconut - They're ok I guess. Coconut is mainly for the jerk, but Kaori can jerk and play p well I suppose. Idk much about AJB's activity, but if it's solid then he can be fire.

Overall: 5.5/10 -- Kinda mediocre throughout, but lacking any holes. I expect them to like 3-5 vs stronger teams and dominate the bottom teams, but ultimately struggle to make playoffs. They have a shot if they execute, but a lot hinges on the ability of Hootie to get everyone together and to care/apply themselves fully.

---------

Overall:
1. Reckless Rhydons
2. Busted Team Player Cats
3. Vibrant Vivillons
4. Klinklang Gang
5. Dilly Dilly Dewgongs
6. Listless Lilligants
7. Moneymaker Musharnas

2-3 and 4-5 had tiebreaks, but I broke them p much by who I felt was better. If I had to rate my team, I'd give us a 7/10 and put us comfortable in the 4, but honestly the entire top 4 is insanely close. I flip-flopped my top 3 a solid couple times in the process of doing this. Ultimately tho, Teddeh's roster is the best to me. Jerks will probably prevail at the end tho, so expect plenty from the 2/3.

bl

Last edited:
dodmen power rankings

formula: (# of neo nu council members) - (# of nu council members or jerk members)
Reckless Rhydons: +teddeh +lax +dodmen -0 = 3

Vibrant Vivillons: +0 -eternally -rozes -earth = -3

Krusty Krabs: +elodin -Finch -Kiyo = -1

Busted Cats: +0 -Stan soojung = -1

Moneymaker Musharnas: -raseri -sir Kay -1 for buying then trading meeps = -3

Klinklang Gang: +jake (0.5 for rotating) -hootie -disjunction = -1.5

Dilly Dilly Dewongs: +meeps = 1

Listless Lilligants: +0 -shadowtags (.5 for only being former nu council) = -0.5
ties are subjectively broken by me

Results:
1. Rhydons
2. Dewgongs
3. Lilligants
4. Cats
5. Krabs
6. Klinklangs
7. Vivillons
8. Musharnas

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
finch, you don't need to be so nice to me. I wouldn't have bought myself for 10.5k either lol.

Bughouse-Last Saturday at 7:03 PM

17:45:36 |c|Scrappie|It is now Dilly Dilly Dewgongs's turn to choose a player. Managers: thegoomy, honchkrow 17:45:37 |c|%honchkrow|.nom bughouse 17:45:38 |c|Scrappie|honchkrow from Dilly Dilly Dewgongs has nominated Bughouse for auction. Tiers: 17:45:38 |c|Scrappie|honchkrow[Dilly Dilly Dewgongs]: 3000. 17:45:39 |c|%honchkrow|.10.5 17:45:39 |c|Scrappie|honchkrow[Dilly Dilly Dewgongs]: 10500. 17:45:43 |c|%Teddeh|lol 17:45:44 |c|#Finchinator|LOOOOOOOOL 17:45:45 |c|#Finchinator|WAIIIIT 17:45:46 |c|Scrappie|5 seconds remaining! 17:45:47 |c|%LAX|what a bitch.. 17:45:51 |c|Scrappie|Dilly Dilly Dewgongs has bought Bughouse for 10500! 17:45:51 |c|%shadowtags|lolol

ok

what

YOU UPBID YOURSELF

BY 7.5K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)