Resource NUPL XI - Team / Set Dump

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

NUPL XI is reaching the very end, which means it's time to share your awesome teams / sets you came up with this season. Also any thoughts on the various metagames that were featured, play patterns, highlights, etc. Make sure to clearly mark the gen that your sets are for and you're gucci.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Oricorio @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dancer
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Roost

I liked using bulky oricorio back in sm pu so i thought to make it work this gen. Taunt is nice on it and what distinguishes itself from the others like coil sanda/eel and cm dudun.
here's a replay of it doing stuff
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-1890174656-lqzcbtirit4xezs8j9x63hnheyk6ojnpw

Scyther @ Protective Pads
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Trailblaze

Was tired of seeing the uturn into sanda take rh damage cycle so i put pads on scyther. Ultimately not rly worth it..

Appletun @ Eject Pack
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Recycle
- Apple Acid
- Recover

Faced this on ladder and this set is so good lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nu-700558

(Click on teams for sets)
:sneasel-hisui::sliggoo-hisui::sandaconda::appletun::jolteon::scyther: - L
Idea of this week was to bring a team that would be able to do well against an offense/HO team as this is what I expected Baloor, someone who had likely not played much SV NU, to bring. Sliggoo-H seemed good as it was able to disrupt a lot of the momentum that a HO team would have and potentially be a deadly win-con with Resttalk + Curse. Sneasel-H was originally Eviolite SD, but I decided to change it to Choice Scarf to potentially revenge kill a Tera Grass Trailblaze Scyther, or cripple an opposing Oricorio by giving it a Choice Scarf. Sandaconda was a fine physically defensive wall and hazard setter. Choice Specs Appletun seemed like a great way to catch my opponent off guard as Draco Meteor does not have many great switch-ins due to the lack of Steel Types. To round off the team, a Jolteon and Scyther were added for some speed control/hazard removal and pivoting.

:veluza::bombirdier::ursaring::scyther::jolteon::lilligant: - W
Pretty standard HO team; Bombirdier sets up hazards/uses Memento and then you go crazy. Every single member's role is just to break for the others. The reason for using this type of team was down to TPP's inexperience in SV NU and him likely being passed all of the teams that he had used, meaning that the team he would use would be in a similar style. Credits to Togkey, as she made the team completely on her own.

:houndoom::sandaconda::dudunsparce::rotom::sneasel-hisui::lurantis: - W
I knew coming into this that 5Dots had a bit more experience in NU compared to my other two opponents so I just decided to bring a Balance team. The Houndoom/Dudunsparce were originally a Pyroar/Umbreon, but in tests Oricorio proved to be a massive issue. TheFranklin recommended Dudunsparce as it was a very solid check to Oricorio due to it's massive bulk and ability to spread paralysis. Speed on Dudunsparce is to outspeed Oricorio after it is paralysed. Houndoom was used in turn for Pyroar due to me just wanting some type diversity. Sandaconda+Lurantis made a strong defensive core with the former giving hazards and the latter giving removal. Rotom/Sneasel-Hisui gave me the much needed speed control as my team was very slow at this point, both being able to cripple the opposition by giving their Choice items.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:flareon::bellossom::glalie::diglett::chimecho::metang:

This was my favorite team this NUPL. I've always been a fan of Sunny Day Bellossom because it's really easy to support teammates-wise and has a good few options for teammates outside of Diglett. SubPass Flareon has great synergy with it, as my game vs LpZ showed; Bellossom had a LOT of free entry against Pelipper and safely won the Chimecho exchange (without the critical hit, Bellossom still would've come out on top, but obviously not at nearly full health).

---

ADV NU is a fun tier play it more :D!

i signed up for nupl hoping to bench and be carried more or less but i also had a bit of an interest in learning sv nu since i hadnt really played any gen 9 tiers seriously up till then - i only played 6 games due to irl stuff, but i did put in a lot of effort this season overall so id like to at least talk about the teams i used.

doing somewhat of a dive into the tier it was pretty apparent how stupid specs zoroark is (a trend you'll be seeing in this post is that i try to build around pokemon that i find to be stupidly good), and watching some replays i thought that this set + sub np toxicroak was a neat combo to break shit down. coil eel was a pretty good wincon back then, and dragon tail is fun so i slapped it on here. sandaconda is sandaconda. this appletun set is kinda wacky, most sets that arent specs are...and drifblim is the hazard control. drifblim is a bad pokemon, it was shit at this time in the meta and the only reason it isn't completely unviable now is that resisting both of sneasels stabs while also fogging can be a valuable trait sometimes. this team was kind of a mishmash of things to break, but then nothing to really clean up later on. the game just ended up being, surprise, specs zoroark boxing, and my opponent actually had momentum on his team while i did not. if zoroark did not rise i would probably have whined and moaned about how it should've been quickbanned because god damn was this thing dumb.

speaking of dumb...dudunsparce. another mon that deserved a quickban back then and kinda still does now tbh, but we'll get into that later. this team is much more cohesive but still has its flaws, mainly opposing cacturne. main prospect was to get up spikes and go to town with dudunsparce, and the other mons are just the "pieces to be filled in" - wisp hex rotom is fun and the paras dudunsparce spreads benefit it as well. the main issues with this team imo were the tera types, you'll see this notably through dudunsparce's tera. my thought process was "fairy means eel cant dtail me", and not that fairy is awful, but poison is so, so much better, even now, because you dont have to worry about getting toxic'd, flip the mu against stuff like passi, croak, and later on sneasel, and a coil or two means you don't give a shit about sandaconda anymore unless it also has coil. i ended up bullshitting lily through stupid means, because thats what this mon does. it is not good for the tier! please get rid of it!

was very excited to use sneasel, because its speed tier is a blessing, and it has a lot of neat tricks it can use (dont use scarf please). i also wanted to use pyroar because our fire resists were basically vaporeon...and vaporeon...it's a really obnoxious mon to switch into, and has the benefit of outrunning scyther, but isn't super easy to fit on teams. this also had the very very good bomb set in knock sr, which is obviously very common now, because a) knock is good, b) uturn is good, c) it lets you run coil sandaconda, and d) its great at sponging random special hits, which i definitely valued especially after getting broken apart by cacturne the week before. sd sneasel can run coverage for drifblim, and eject pack is a great set as well, but eviolite trailblaze is by far and away my favorite as setting up on sandaconda is obscene and it makes you that much harder to revenge kill. encore cacturne is probably much better than sucker, another lesson i learned from the week before.

i decided to try to work with dudunsparce, again, this time leaning in towards a better tera type and using bite so that i can fully commit to the nonsense. sub np rotom is also something that i thought was pretty cool as a breaker, and tera fairy is great on it so you can give tera dragon rush sandaconda the middle finger. speaking of which, my assumption that it would be that set in my game really fucked me up (and also being surprised that it ran max speed) - ended up fucking around more tha nnecessary considering how good rotom was in that mu, and coupled with a stone edge miss i was out of the game. not much to say about this team otherwise, taunt bird is cool.

i decided to try my hand at using a sub np rotom, Again, except this time i wanted to mess with the fridge because, like our fire resists, our ice resists are not particularly fantastic. i also wanted to switch things up a bit and use a few mons i hadnt used before, because while you only have so many options, i figured it would be a good idea to use some new mons. i also noticed i had not used a water type whatsoever up to this point, and bruxish was the only one i had liked using. the game was basically click tera psychic fangs to win because beraldo's psychic resist was chansey. its a mon you can spam stuff with if positioned correctly, and theres not many safe switches to it. the umbreon set is w/e, i wanted to be a bit of a cheeseman.

i built quite a few teams for the semifinals week because there were / are a LOT of things that are silly in this meta. of course, i ended up settling on the one that did not have an obscene mu advantage. this was the first time using an electric that wasnt rotom since the beginning of the season, as jolteon got quite a bit better now that the meta was so much faster. grimmsnarl has a lot of sets it can use but this one seemed pretty cool to me because dark + fairy is difficult to switch into, and the other "priority" options give it some nice utility. im not sure if this froslass set is the best one, but its a great pokemon because of how good spikes are and how good its stabs are. sball is here because hex needs status to ohko hoopa. braviary is the auto win button of the week here, and muk gives tspike insurance and some priority. not good priority, but it can cheese some things with poison touch, and it does hit hoopa!

conclusion for the tier is that it's not the best. as i mentioned i think there are a number of mons that i consider to be Too Much that can just completely change the flow of the game with a single opportunity. this is either due to tera, very good stats, or both...but it is also just that our options are pretty dry. sandaconda is nigh mandatory on balance, though you can get away with camerupt sometimes, and our steel types are magneton and sliggoo (admittedly have not really used the latter). it just feels like there is little defensive responses which makes building a chore sometimes, though i think the current meta is more interesting than how it was at the start of the tour. it is fun to play, but if we got some other grounds or copperajah maybe? back things would be a lot more manageable. i tried a fair bit to diverge from the norm to an extent at least, but well i used some mons / cores often because it just felt like you had to sometimes. again though there is enjoyment to be had so i think overall this season was a positive experience. thanks for reading my rants

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
now that i'm through with my bwpl games too, i can post:

:seismitoad::eelektross::drifblim::miltank::pinsir::vileplume:
While I did like this team for many reasons, I think a strong part of its success when I brought to semis and then again in bwpl was the surprise factor of the composition. looking at this 6 I would probably assume it's rocks pinsir (though it could certainly also be rocks toad or miltank), but I would also assume rindo seismitoad and curse miltank, neither of which is correct. I would low key not recommend using this against anyone who might recognize that the team is now public and look up its sets because once you know what you're facing, I think the team gets quite a bit worse. It's also a spikes-less team, which I can't strongly recommend for general purpose use either. Still, had fun making and using it, and it won both games, so it can't be too bad!

:staryu::garbodor::exeggutor::golurk::zweilous::rotom-frost:
What I like about this team is that if it succeeds in getting a favorable matchup, it has every tool to keep momentum and just be downright oppressive to face. in tests, I felt like it was often close to game over at team preview. it certainly does have weaknesses, such as like a bulky gard (taunt wisp psychic signal beam), but not that many. I think it covers the meta pretty solidly and if you play well you probably won't ever even have to hit a blizzard. definitely recommend this for general purpose use and think people should experiment more with baby star. recovery on a spinner is very cool. also funny story, I explicitly brought TR Nature Power Egg to this game because it's a super offbeat set that's not on the dex and I figured would surprise my opponent who doesn't play a lot of BW NU... only for them to bring a full TR team that had the same mon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)