ORAS UU Off To Pinker Places

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Hey guys, it's PDT here, and today I'm going to present a RMT made by myself and HigherPlaces . After I pm'd him and asked if he wanted to build, we brainstormed a pretty cool core of Heracross and Mega Ampharos. Coincidentally, both of those Pokemon's shiny forms were also PINK. We've done a bunch of testing, and managed to ladder up to just below 1500 with this team on two different accounts. Without further ado, here is Pinker Places.

Fabio (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Kicking off with the first member of the team and core, Defensive RestTalk Mega Ampharos has proved it's worth in the UU tier. With great bulk and devastating Special Attack(even uninvested), this Pokemon is a force to be reckoned with. We figured we needed a Flying and Fire check, and a slow Volt Switcher to get in Heracross safely, so Fabio perfectly fit the job. The RestTalk moveset allows Fabio to absorb status and heal itself without Wish support. Dragon Pulse hits lots of things for neutral damage, and Volt Switch nabs momentum. The EV spread maximizes Physical bulk while creeping Base 50 Pokemon like Donphan so that Ampharos can pick it off without taking an Earthquake. Amphy easily checks Pokemon like Crobat and Entei, both of which can easily kill Heracross. It's vulnerable to Ground however, which leads us to the other part of the core…

Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge/Earthquake

The second half of the core, Heracross. We wanted to go with a bit of a bulkier set because of the Tailwind support from Whimsi, and the ability to switch in on a few more Ground attacks, and Scalds, hoping to get the Burn to activate Guts. Swords Dance can pressure things like Zapdos, which would normally counter it, but a +2 Close Combat does a good 55% to a Defensive Zapdos. Stone Edge catches some Fire and Flying type Pokemon that may want to switch in, like Chandelure and Entei along with. Earthquake is more consistent, but then this set is walled by the ever so common Salamence and Zapdos. Earthquake also hits Poison types that give this set trouble. With this EV spread, 148 Speed creeps a Defensive Zapdos with 24 Speed EVs, the standard Smogon set. Now, this may seem like a nitpick, but Zapdos is the second most used Pokemon in the whole UU tier, and being able to outspeed it is huge. It also creeps 24 Speed Salamence, which is the most used Pokemon in the tier. NOTE: If you are not using Tailwind, use a spread of 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def with a Jolly nature. Leftovers provide extra longevity because of the lack of hazard control on this team and potential residual damage from a burn and poison. It’s shiny because the bright pink may cause the blindness on the enemy team(not really, although that would be interesting).​

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

A rather standard set, but Entei is one of the most potent wallbreakers in the UU tier. Choice Band while spamming Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed make this Pokemon extremely dangerous. Entei provides a late-game sweeper with the much needed priority. Entei also provides a mediocre Fairy switch-in, as Florges can just click Moonblast on the above two Pokemon. EVs maximize speed and power with the mandatory Shiny and Adamant nature. Entei and Heracross form a rather nice offensive core, as Heracross loves the Scald burns from Bulky Waters that give Entei trouble. Entei spreads the burns on many of its common switch-ins, and effectively wears them down for other Pokemon to clean up. I would say Entei is one of the most important members on the team, and wins the most games for us.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
-Calm Mind
- Roar
- Rest

Both Higher Places and I have agreed that Suicune is one of the most redundant members on the team, but we needed a bulky wincon as well as a safety check to many potent attackers throughout the UU tier. It provides a really nice Ice resist for a team where 3/6 members are weak to Ice.It utilizes Calm Mind and Roar to be a phazer and bulky wincon. Most games it isn’t used due to the other Pokemon that win the game for this team, but it is mainly a safety measure. Suicune has pretty good synergy with Mega Ampharos because of the Grass and Electric attacks that Fabio can easily take. Scald spreads more burns for skill, and the EVs are fairly standard that are stolen straight from Smogon. They maximize bulk while using a bit of Speed to hit a Leftovers number and outspeed other Suicune. If there is one Pokemon that might be able to be replaced, Suicune is the one, but we’ve tried and failed to find a suitable replacement for this Pokemon.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore/Giga Drain/Energy Ball
- Tailwind/Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

This Pokemon is so great on this team because the team is rather slow and Tailwind support is godsend for Entei and Heracross with the massive Power they have. We’ve had some debate over the exact set, but I’ve been running Encore and Leftovers, while Higher Places has gone for Energy Ball and Pixie Plate for more of an offensive presence. Whimsicott provides utility and momentum for the team, with a solid Dragon and Dark check for the team. Moonblast is obligatory STAB while Tailwind aids Entei/Heracross late game sweep. as suggested by Shiba, Stun Spore is a great option over tailwind for more permanent speed control and parahax is cool. Encore punishes set up sweepers and Energy Ball nabs some nifty KOs on Pokemon like Swampert, Suicune, and Mamoswine. U-Turn forms a VoltTurn core with Fabio, and nabs valuable momentum. This Pokemon is so versatile and is easily splashed onto teams with the incredible amount of utility provided. Also, who would want to attack a cute puffball of DEATH

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake

This set is really quite interesting. It’s a Specially Biased Mixed Defensive wall, with Stealth Rocks. This guy’s role is to switch in on Special attacks and gain momentum or set up Rocks. 30 Speed IVs get off the slow U-Turn for momentum, and EQ is good STAB for damage. 172 SpD EVs and a Careful nature allow Gligar to switch in on a Draco Meteor from Life Orb Hydreigon. The rest of the EVs are thrown into Defense to tank stuff from Mega Beedrill and the like. Roost is reliable recovery to sustain Gligar’s longevity. This Gligar is a bit weird but tailored to fit the team’s needs. The toss up between Defog and Stealth Rocks was a big one, but we didn’t need hazard control and access to Immunity was a big factor for Gligar. Many people assume that Gligar has Defog because of the lack of hazard control, and may try to Toxic it which gives Gligar a free turn.

Salamence- Whimsi can kill it but Fire Blast/Iron Tail can OHKO Whims back.

M-Aerodactyl- It’s easily killed under Tailwind but EQ variants pressure Amphy.

Nidoqueen/Nidoking- the coverage is insane, and it hits most of the team for super effective damage(although Entei OHKOs King w/ Sacred Fire)

Mamoswine- Great coverage and hits most of the team for Super Effective damage. Entei can force it out, but really no real switch-ins. It is easy to whittle down though.
We’re sure there are more but those are off the top of our heads.

Wins:
Losses:
Importable: http://pastebin.com/9PaUkgJu

More replays will be added later, but huge shoutout to all of the people that helped us test and improve the team! Also a big thanks to HigherPlaces for working with me, I know you have some irl problems but it was a lot of fun! Thanks for reading! Enjoy this RMT!​

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey PinkDragonTamer, cool looking team! Just have a couple of quick suggestions that you can try that would really help this team out
  • So first off, I feel that this team is rather passive and slow to be a kind of Tailwind based team. What I mean by that is like only Heracross and Entei (somewhat) can take advantage of it. That's why I'd like to recommend Stun Spore > Tailwind on Whimsicott, as it can provide a last ditch effort at stopping a set-up sweeper, or just paralyzing the other team in general is nice tbh. Also I wouldn't slash Encore with anything, Encore is essential on any Whims set imho.

• Taking off Tailwind on Whims opens up the possibility to run 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe and a Jolly nature on Heracross, which allows you to outspeed some key threats like Mamoswine, Feraligatr, and Gyarados. I would also think about running Knock Off > Megahorn and Facade > Stone Edge/EQ as it provides pretty complete coverage over Dual STABs.

• Lastly, I'd recommend using Bronzong over Mega Amphy. Even though this is your Mega, I feel that covering some of the biggest threats to your team, including Mence, EQ Gyarados, and the Nido twins are quite important. I've been using this specific Zong set and I think it could benefit your team. Running Zong also frees up a slot on Gligar, which can be changed to Defog.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    - Earthquake / Toxic

HP electric is a neat addition to this set as prevents gyarados from just setting up in its face and Bronzong usually has a moveslot to work with so why not :]: 0 SpA Bronzong Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 144-172 (43.5 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Other than those small changes, neat team! Good luck!

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Wow thanks Shiba ! Yeah the Salamence problem was getting really annoying and I think the change to Zong might alleviate it. Should Bronzong have max SpDef or is it better to run a mixed defensive set? Stun Spore will be considered, as it is more permanent, but it doesn't boost the own teams Speed, so they each have merits. I don't really agree with the Heracross suggestions because of the inability to kill things like Reuniclus and Cresselia more reliably. Also Heracross isn't really going to do anything to Gyarados, so I would probably just switch. Outspeeding Mamo is a big thing, but I really like the ability with the extra HP to absorb hits while setting up and come in on Scald, fishing for a burn. I can see where you are coming from and you made good points, I honestly think it's a matter of preference. Thanks for the rate! You brought up some really important problems for the team and fixed them :)

hi, so Shiba already made some important changes that you should consider. The Heracross suggestion is for the better since you're not always going to be facing Scald users (although you will more often than not) and the extra speed is very beneficial to get off hits before you are yourself.

On to my own suggestion, I'm going off of Shiba's rate. He left you without a Mega if you follow through with the suggestion and it's kinda mandatory to have one. You and HigherPlaces both agreed that Suicune is pretty redundant for the team, but you could try Mega Blastoise > Suicune. This change retains the values of a bulky Water-type while amping up your teams offensive presence a bit more to avoid passivity. Since you already have hazard control in Gligar and significant bulk on a whole on your team, you can run a more offensive variant. This allows you to run a Modest Nature with an EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe. A moveset of Hydro Pump / Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Aura Sphere would be sufficient for wallbreaking purposes. If you'd like you could run Scald > Hydro Pump if you favor accuracy rather than power.

Reactions: Sun

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, PinkDragonTamer. Really cool team that you've got coming along. Here are a few adjustments you can try out to improve it.

• I noticed that your team could still struggle against bulky waters. Heracross is prone to being worn down, as it is your primary switch-in to bulky waters. The damage that it takes from Scald, as well as the potential burn will limit the amount of times it is able to switch in. Whimsicott is only able to help with bulky waters if you're running Giga Drain or Energy Ball, and defensive MAmpharos isn't too helpful at all against Suicune when it lacks Special Attack investment and Thunderbolt. I suggest replacing Heracross with SD Toxicroak. This change would give you a much more reliable switch-in to Scald, since Toxicroak has the Dry Skin ability. The change also gives you a grounded Poison type to absorb Toxic Spikes, which could be very helpful, especially since your team currently lacks hazard control. Toxicroak's Poison typing helps your match up against fairy types as well, which the majority of your team struggles with. This would also give your team another priority move in Sucker Punch. CM+Roar Cune allows your team to beat bulky psychics, so the change wouldn't be too detrimental to your match up against those. It's good to note that a +2 LO Gunkshot does massive damage to and can even kill Reuniclus and Slowking. I'll leave some calcs below. Lastly, Toxicroak would greatly help your match up against a pretty big threat in Mega Sharpedo. Here's the set:

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 382-450 (90 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 367-433 (93.3 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

• The team is still pretty slow and Tailwind isn't the most reliable way to deal with this issue. It also seems like your team would have a ridiculously hard time against threats like Specs Chandelure and Mega Sceptile. As such, I suggest replacing Mega Ampharos with Pursuit Mega Aerodactyl. This change gives your team something with naturally high speed to help deal with faster threats such as Cobalion and a +1 Gyarados, and some slower threats such as the Nidos as well. Pursuit allows you to trap Chandelure, Alakazam and Mega Beedrill among other things. The team already has a solid check to fire types in Suicune, and MAero would retain the flying resistance. Also, dealing with offensive water types is one of the main reasons to run MAmpharos in the first place, but between MAero, Toxicroak, Whimsicott, Suicune, and Entei, the team would be able to handle them pretty efficiently. The last slot on the moveset is something that you could play around with. Each move has its perks. Roost helps maintain MAero's longevity, Wing Attack gives you another stab and allows you to hit grass and fighting types harder, Aqua Tail would be nice for ground types such as the Nidos, Mamoswine and Krookodile, and Hone Claws could turn MAero into a wincon. 40 Defense EVs would allow MAero to guarantee being able to live a LO Mamoswine's Ice Shard after rocks. Anyways, here's the set:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roost / Wing Attack / Aqua Tail / Hone Claws​

• I would highly recommend replacing U-turn with Defog on Gligar. You may miss having that slow U-turn, but I think that having a way to remove hazards is really important and much more beneficial for the team. Most of the team is grounded, so a layer or two of spikes could become a huge pain. Stealth Rocks takes 25% off of Entei everytime it switches in on them, which could really hurt, especially since Entei is your only switch-in to fairy types and takes ~20% from Moonblasts as is. Rocks would also take 25% off of MAero, given that you follow through with the above change. This change would also mean that you would have to change Gligar's ability to Hyper Cutter.

Other Options:
  • You could consider trying out Knock Off over Sucker Punch on Toxicroak if you're willing to give up the priority. Knock Off would help your team with various threats. The Nidos are a common switch into Toxicroak, so hitting them with Knock Off on the switch would make them much lesser of a threat by stripping them of their Life Orb. You would be able to hit Chandelure much more reliably since Sucker Punch is risky and Gunk Shot needs to be at +2 to have a chance at killing it. Also, a +2 LO Knock Off guarantees the OHKO on Slowking, has a much better chance at OHKOing Reuniclus, and can deal a ton to Cresselia while taking off its Leftovers as well. I'll leave some calcs below.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 398-468 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 411-486 (96.9 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 304-359 (68.9 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I hope you consider my suggestions, and good luck with the team!​

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Hi -Magic- I like your suggestion because you gave the team a Mega which I agree is really important. But with replacing Suicune we lose a Valuable bulky wincon and phaser which weakens the matchup against Bulky Psychic types. I decided to not to go with Bronzong because it's a huge momentum killer and honestly losing Volt Switch with a kinda passive Pokemon is annoying. Max speed Hera seems to be the consensus so I will probably make the change(Or maybe even change to Toxicroak)

As for Manipulative 's rate I actually agree with a lot of your changes and you made some really good points so I will test the changes and let you know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)