Battle Spot Offfensive BSS Team

Hey! I am brand new to Smogon forums, but do not worry, I have loads of battle experience. I've been testing this team in Showdown for the past few weeks and I want some suggestions before I breed it into the game. Anyway, this is a team centered around tricking your opponent and gaining massive momentum.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

This is obviously a mixed Koko, and the the only reason it is mixed is for the surprise. A Brave Bird can OHKO certain pokemon that threaten my team such as Spore Breloom and Quiver Dance Volcarona, along with gaining a little bit more coverage. T-Bolt and Dazzling Gleam are STAB, and U-Turn is for gaining momentum. Almost nothing switches in on Koko without taking a hefty amount of damage.

Espeon @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic/Future Sight
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

I chose Espeon over Tapu Lele for the huge benefit in the Speed Stat, and I love Speedy Pokemon. I also needed a reliable Z-Crystal user, and depending on the play style, Z-Future Sight can shatter (get it? Shattered Psyche?) opponents, and also give a little switching pressure if Espeon is about to die. Psychic is more reliable, however.

Bisharp @ Muscle Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Psycho Cut
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I needed a little more setup on my team, so I though of either Swords Dance Landorus-T or Swords Dance Bisharp. In the end, Bisharp can't be used without Swords dance, so I chose it. This is just the typical, everyday Bisharp, with the exception of a Muscle Band (cuz I can't run two of the same item in Battle Spot) and Psycho Cut. I chose Psycho Cut, of all moves, to hit common switching, mainly Lucario, effectively.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-T is scary in OU, and it's no different in Battle Spot Singles. There are just son many different sets to run: bulky rocker, double dance, flyinium z, etc. This is another good momentum and pressure giver, with both Stealth Rock and U-Turn. Earthquake is a must, and Stone Edge hits whatever EQ does not (usually).

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Double-Edge
- Shadow Claw
- Ice Punch

Beware getting a spot in UU within its first couple months of access surprised and pleased me. Bewear is just all around fun, and his effectiveness is nowhere near lacking. His typing is not the best, but his move pool is massive. Because he is a new Pokemon, not many BSS players know what Bewear does. This set is a complementary AV Bewear, to hit as hard as possible while retaining some bulk. Ice Punch is for Mega Mence and Landorus-T, which are sometimes troublesome for my team. Shadow Call destroys Tapu Lele and Aegislash, while also getting a good chunk of damage on any switch-in. The other two moves are the normal STAB combo.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I know, I know. Volcarona is by far one of the best mons in BSS, but I am using a lesser known variant. Its moveset is very predictable, but HP Ground cleans up what Volcarona's STAB cannot. I am running Swarm specifically to get knocked down to my Focus Sash in order to have a monstrously powerful Bug Buzz.

I feel energized just thinking about this team, and it really has put good work in Showdown. I would love comments. Thank you!

Hey! I am brand new to Smogon forums, but do not worry, I have loads of battle experience. I've been testing this team in Showdown for the past few weeks and I want some suggestions before I breed it into the game. Anyway, this is a team centered around tricking your opponent and gaining massive momentum.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Why U-turn over volt-switch?

Muscle Band makes no sense when Expert Belt exists.

But then I'd also question putting Bish here at all. You don't have a mega and any of the steel type megas could work. I'd suggest Luc or Maw.

Thx, I was thinking Lucario, but then I have would have two fighting types. If I did do lucario, I would run:

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

And I would swap Bewear for something like Defensive Pyukumuku to balance out weaknesses:

Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Protect
- Counter

Pyu isn't great. I thought it's whole niche was Soak....

Anyway, you've kind of skimmed over my point. I think a Mega is important. Metagross could work.

You have mons that could work pretty well with Mega Salamence, such as Tapu Koko and Volcarona; even Bisharp isn't that bad with it, so adding this pokemon could give an edge to the team.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost / Draco Meteor [with a Naive nature if using DM]
- Earthquake

Also, i'm a big big fan of Espeon and i respect that you are using it, but in this tier Espeon is by far outclassed by Tapu Lele as a damage dealer. Thanks to Lele's ability, its normal Psychic alone is just a little bit weaker than Espeon's Z-Psychic, and when using a Choice Scarf Lele becomes a scary revenge killer. Imo adding it over Espeon could be a good idea.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock / Focus Blast

Speaking about the rest of the team, i agree that Landorus is a great pokemon, with no exception in the bss tier, but if you decide to add Mega Mence i would switch it out for Cresselia, that would still help Koko with Levitate, Beware with its Psychic-type and work as your bulky powermon as well.

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Toxic / Psychic
- Lunar Dance / Toxic / Thunder Wave

Last thing, some minor changes i would make:
- Switch Muscle Band on Bisharp for a Life Orb or a Focus Sash
- If using LO on Bisharp, put Electrium-Z on Koko, using Thunder over Brave Bird having a good chance to 2HKO Porygon2 with the combination of Thunderbolt and Z-Thunder, since p2 could be a big problem for Mega Mence.
- If using Focus Sash on Bisharp, put a Firium-Z or a Buginium-Z on Volcarona, with Fire Blast over Fiery Dance if going for the first Z-item. Also, a Timid nature could be a better idea to outspeed those Timid Scarf Tapu Lele, but Modest Volcarona is still a good set.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly, there's a lot wrong with this team. I've been going over changes in my head to try and improve it but the end result is a completely new team which defeats the purpose of this forum. I'll go over what I don't like but the help i'll give will be very generalised.

Your Espeon set is terrible. Simple as that. You say you chose it over Lele due to its speed and you prefer fast Pokemon, well Modest Espeon is only 1 point faster than Timid Lele! Even if you chose to use a Timid Espeon, it would still be extremely lacklustre with the set it's using. Espeon's niche is Magic Bounce and using that as a lead with screens and/or Yawn, or being a really good Baton Pass recipient. Using it as your Z-move attacker is a waste. Espeon is one of those team-specific Pokemon so recommending a set for someone to use is really difficult, but some examples would be:
Espeon @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn
- Psychic
Baton Pass recipient]Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: depend on what you plan to pass it, but usually it's max hp/def because you're passing it speed boosts
Bold / Timid Nature (again it depends)
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fighting
- Substitute / Morning Sun
- Calm Mind / Baton Pass

Bisharp is really quite bad in battle spot, and lots of people who have played OU or whatever fall for this thinking that it's good. There are too many good Steel-types to name here. But yeah there just isn't a really good reason to ever choose Bisharp

Putting Leftovers on whatever may work in OU due to how many more turns there are in a battle, but that can't be said here. Your Landorus-T would benefit more from a Focus Sash or Sitrus Berry, however I would recommend changing it to Impish with a Rocky Helmet since you have literally no defense on this team.

Bewear is probably my favourite gen 7 pokemon so trust me when I say that it sucks because believe me I have tried to make it work. Like I said with Bisharp, there are so many Pokemon similar to Bewear that just completely outclass it. It's even worse in your team since you have literally nothing to switch into Fire or Flying types.

So anyway, it just looks like you chose 6 random Pokemon and tried to give them their best movesets. There's literally no synergy between the team and you lose to all the common pokemon / cores. I advise you to come hang out in our Battle Spot room on PS, or browse our Battle Spot forum for sample teams you can use, or even sign up for Battle Spot tutoring in the Battling 101 forum!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)