Mechanics Ogerpon-Teal-Tera-Tera can exist

What type of bug are you reporting? Unsure

What is the bug?
You can get a Ogerpon-Teal-Tera-Tera mid-battle.

Are you able to replicate it? If so, how?
You can replicate this bug by using this team in a Custom Game (I found it in Broken Cup tho):

Ogerpon-Teal-Tera (F)
Ability: Embody Aspect (Teal)
Tera Type: Grass
- Ivy Cudgel
- Splash
- Tera Blast

As soon as you switch in, terastallize. This will turn you into Ogerpon-Teal-Tera-Tera.

I wanted to add something: I saw the stats being straight 99 (not HP), so this means that it has these stats:
HPAtkDefSp.AtkSp.DefSpeBST

And I also wanted to add that this cannot be achieved by any legal means, as you cannot terastallize an already terastallized Ogerpon.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Here's a replay and screenshot as well: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9customgame-2131800437.
1716853801761.png

This is technically a server-side bug, but there's no "correct" way to fix it. In-game, you can't start a battle with an already Terastallized Ogerpon. Probably the most reasonable options are:
  • Terastallize into Ogerpon-[form]-Tera again. That is, Ogerpon-Teal-Tera would terastallize into Ogerpon-Teal-Tera.
  • Prevent Terastallization for Ogerpon-[form]-Tera. So it just can't select the option at all. This would apply to Terapagos-Stellar as well.
  • Prevent Ogerpon-[form]-Tera from being brought to a battle at all, in a similar way to how we sanitize Gmax forms before they're brought to a battle. So a Ogerpon-[form]-Tera would become just Ogerpon-[form] when the battle begins. This would apply to Terapagos-Stellar as well.
Option 3 is probably best, but any of these solutions are fine, since it's made-up behavior that doesn't affect any official tier, even hackmons.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Although you can't start a battle with an already Terastallized Ogerpon, Anubis was kind enough to test editing the Ogerpon's form during the middle of the battle. Here's the clip: https://streamable.com/843iv7

In this clip, Anubis starts with a regular Teal Mask Ogerpon (Ogerpon-0). She then edits it to be Ogerpon-Teal-Tera (Ogerpon-4). Notice that Embody Aspect does not activate when sent out like this. She then edits it to be Ogerpon-Hearthflame-Tera (Ogerpon-6) and Terastallizes it. It becomes Ogerpon-Teal-Tera (Ogerpon-4).

So that means a few things:
  • Embody Aspect should not activate unless the user is Terastallized.
  • Hacked Ogerpon-[form]-Tera forms should be allowed to Terastallize.
  • Hacked Ogerpon-[form]-Tera forms will become whatever the Tera Type is for that Ogerpon.
Expanding on these tests with my own testing, Embody Aspect doesn't work unless the user is specifically a Terastallized Ogerpon. The game still softlocks if you try to Terastallize Ogerpon with a non-Grass/Fire/Rock/Water Tera Type. However, it will allow, for example, a Tera Water Ogerpon-Hearthflame holding Hearthflame Mask (Ogerpon-2) to Terastallize to Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera (Ogerpon-5). Doing so will change Ogerpon to Water-type, but still give an Attack boost, and Ivy Cudgel will still be Fire-type.

So the developer fixing this should implement their fix with these mechanics in mind. We obviously aren't going to allow softlocks though, so I would prevent any Ogerpon with a non-Fire, Grass, Water, or Rock Tera Type from Terastallizing in the battle as a compromise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)