SV OU Ogre-Demon-King (Bulky Offence)

Ogre-Demon-King
EDIT: Removed Ogerpon-Cornerstone and Added Ogerpon-Wellspring
Introduction
:sv/ogerpon-wellspring::sv/hoopa-unbound::sv/kingambit::sv/great-tusk::sv/scizor::sv/iron-valiant:
So with the drop of the new DLC, I found that Ogerpon was a pretty interesting Pokémon on cartridge, and thus I looked to incorporate it into my teams on Showdown! The fire mask was my initial go-to, being the obvious powerful choice, but with (then) whispers of an impending ban, I looked for something with a bit more longevity in the tier. I thus settled on the Rock-Ogerpon with its 100BP 100 Accuracy Rock move, and thus the teambuilding process began...

Teambuilding Process
:Ogerpon-cornerstone: (the ogre)
The base of this team, it was (in my opinion) the coolest looking mask, with a unique signature move in rock Ivy Cudgel.

:Ogerpon-cornerstone::hoopa-unbound: (the demon)
Next up on my team was Hoopa-Unbound, my favourite Pokémon which has since dropped to UU :( Nevertheless, I believe its Assault Vest variant had potential, and added it on as a capable mixed attacker (but primarily special).

:Ogerpon-cornerstone::hoopa-unbound::kingambit: (the king)
With the special attacking side covered, who better to go to than the king of OU as my main physical attacker, which doubles up as the tier's most infamous late game sweeper and a form of speed control with its priority Sucker Punch.

:Ogerpon-cornerstone::hoopa-unbound::kingambit::great-tusk:
Now with the core trio in place, I looked for complementary mons to support them, and Great Tusk was next in line, providing a defensive wall, hazard control and hazards all in one.

:Ogerpon-cornerstone::hoopa-unbound::kingambit::great-tusk::scizor:
I then noted the fairy weakness in my team, especially to Booster Iron Valiant, so Scizor was brought on with its priority Bullet Punch to decimate those speedy fairy attackers. I was also looking for a secondary hazard control, and Scizor fit the bill perfectly, even threatening out the hazard blocker Gholdengo and being immune to the new spiker Gliscor's Toxic

:Ogerpon-cornerstone::hoopa-unbound::kingambit::great-tusk::scizor::iron-valiant:
With the team almost complete, I looked for the last mon to round off as many weaknesses as possible. With Hoopa-U being the only special attacker on the team, I looked for a good speedy special attacker to help with speed control as well and picked out Iron Valiant, completing the current version of my team.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring::hoopa-unbound::kingambit::great-tusk::scizor::iron-valiant:
Following further testing of the team, I decided to replace Ogerpon-Cornerstone with Ogerpon-Wellspring, as my team appreciated a Water STAB to hit Gliscor and Landorus, as well as stand up to water type threats like Azumarill and Dondozo with its Grass STAB and Water Absorb, as well as provide a much needed ground resist.

The Team

:sv/ogerpon-wellspring:
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Ivy Cudgel
- Play Rough

Ogerpon-Wellspring replaced Ogerpon-Cornerstone simply because of its resistances, which were invaluable to my team, namely Ground and Water, for which I had no resistant switch-ins. Water Ivy Cudgel was also sorely needed, as prior to this my only super effective moves against threats like Gliscor:Gliscor:Landorus:landorus-therian:and Great Tusk:great-tusk: was Ice Spinner from my own Tusk. I swapped out U-turn for Swords Dance, converting Ogerpon from a pivot set to a setup set, which just seems to bring more value. My team also appreciates having another physical threat besides Kingambit which can setup +2 SD and threaten a sweep.

It is continues to be my lead of choice against Samurott-H :samurott-hisui:, being able to outspeed and 2HKO sash versions, or OHKO scarfed variants with Horn Leech. Horn Leech also hits water types like Dondozo:Dondozo: that would otherwise resist Ivy Cudgel, Play Rough hits Dragons for supereffective damage which would otherwise resist Ogerpon, such as Dragonite:Dragonite:.

It is tera-locked into Water, which means I would mostly tera it to boost Ivy Cudgel's damage, which after an SD could prove fatal to even neutral threats like Kingambit:kingambit:

+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 422-498 (105.5 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, its SpDef boost is also useful to boost its longevity, and shedding Grass type could be useful to resist neutral fire hits, or become neutral to Poison and Bug attacks.
:sv/hoopa-unbound:
Hoopa-Unbound @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 8 HP / 112 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Mild Nature
- Psychic
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

Hoopa-Unbound is one of my favourite Pokemon, but its middling 80 Speed and poor 60 Defence, combined with 4x weakness to U-turn, has sent Hoopa-U into UU :( However, it still hits incredibly hard both physically and specially even without boosts due to its base 160 Atk and 170 SpAtk, and can tank special hits incredibly well with 130 SpD + Assault Vest.

Mainly, this was brought on to check special threats like Ursaluna-Bloodmoon :ursaluna-bloodmoon:, Enamorus :enamorus: and Gholdengo :gholdengo:, as well as act as the team’s main Special Attacker/wallbreak Bulky Waters like Dondozo :dondozo: Toxapex :toxapex: and other Tera Water walls with Thunderbolt.

Vs Ursa-BM :ursaluna-bloodmoon:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 280-331 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Ursaluna-Bloodmoon Blood Moon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa-Unbound: 205-243 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not only does Hoopa eat a +1 Blood Moon off of a Modest Full SpA invested Ursaluna, it can 2HKO Ursa on its weaker SpD side with Psychic, or with Drain Punch on its Def side if Ursa Calm Minds after being hit with a Psychic.

Vs Enamorus :enamorus:
252 SpA Choice Specs Enamorus Moonblast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa-Unbound: 254-302 (83.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 316-372 (109.3 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The 8 HP EVs invested were solely to survive a Choice Specs Moonblast from Enamorus, so that Hoopa can KO back with a Thunderbolt.

Vs Gholdengo :gholdengo:
+2 252+ SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hoopa-Unbound: 234-276 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
120 Atk Hoopa-Unbound Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 356-422 (113 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Against Gholdengo, Hoopa U can eat a +2 Modest Gholdengo Make it Rain, while threatening an OHKO with Knock Off. Even if Gholdengo is Max HP rather than Speed, Hoopa would still 2HKO with Knock Off after taking +2 Modest Make it Rain.

Vs Dondozo :dondozo:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 374-440 (74.2 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It does have issues with SpD Dondozo, requiring a 3HKO with Thunderbolt, but dying in two turns to Liquidation.

Vs Toxapex :toxapex:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Psychic vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Vs Common Tera Water Mons
:garganacl:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 260-306 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:gliscor:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Gliscor: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Against Leads
:glimmora:
I usually lead Hoopa-U against Glimmora just to hit it with Psychic so as to not proc Toxic Debris. However, Lead Glimmoras are always sashed so it is likely that Hoopa will have to take poison from Mortal Spin since most sets run that.
:pelipper: :torkoal:
Against Rain and Sun, I usually lead with Hoopa against Pelipper and Torkoal as well, to threaten a Thunderbolt KO on the bird should they attempt a U-turn, or major Psychic damage on Torkoal to put it below 25% health.

Finally, Tera Fighting is to boost its Drain Punch damage to OHKO Kingambit :kingambit: and heal back to full even after taking a Supreme Overlord 5 boosted Sucker Punch.
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tera Fighting Hoopa-Unbound: 163-192 (54.1 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
120 Atk Tera Fighting Hoopa-Unbound Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 420-496 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Additionally, Tera Fighting lets it resist Bug, thus protecting it from U-turn pivots like Corviknight:corviknight:and threaten them back instead.
Some 50-50s it has is against Walking Wake:walking-wake:and Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:depending on their sets, having trouble with Choice Specs Wake under Sun, or mixed Iron Valiant, for which other mons on the team are better suited to counter.

Overall, its dual STABs of Psychic and Knock Off, with Fighting and Electric coverage make it very hard to switch into, especially since people may be unsure if it is Choice locked and similarly if Hoopa is physical or special. I find its unpredictability and sheer attacking power a great benefit to the team as this usually allows it to KO one or more major threats and leave weakened targets for the cleaners like Kingambit:kingambit:Scizor:scizor:and Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:to mop up.

:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Rounding off the Ogre Demon King core is none other than the infamous Kingambit. This is a typical Bulky Swords Dance set, with Full HP investment to tank as many hits as possible, and max Atk Adamant to maximise its damage to all targets, even those with resists. 4 EVs in Speed is simply to outspeed 0 Speed invested Kingambits (as rare as they are right now). Leftovers is there for passive recovery, and allows it to recover significant amounts of health during the Sucker Punch mind games, keeping it alive just a little bit longer.

Kingambit doubles in its role as a late-game cleaner as well as being the team’s premier physical set-up sweeper, teaming up with Ogerpon to wall break opposing mons on the physical side, while Hoopa-U:hoopa-unbound:and Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:handle the special side.

Swords Dance to boost attack and set-up, which in the late game can mean a death sentence for the opponent when combined with Supreme Overlord. Sucker Punch and Kowtow Cleave are its typical high damage priority and attack respectively that created the well known 50-50 mind games that Kingambit is known for. Iron Head in place of Low Kick to hit fairies like Clefable:clefable:Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:and Enamorus:enamorus:and Tera Fairy is a common tera type for walls. As an added plus, it hits Great Tusk for neutral damage. Countering opposing Kingambits would be left to other members on the team, namely Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:Hoopa:hoopa-unbound:and Great Tusk:great-tusk:.

Finally, Tera Flying turns its major weaknesses of Fighting and Ground into a resist and allows it one free Swords Dance (unless opponent predicts Tera Flying), which sets it up to deal massive damage, usually OHKOing almost anything that doesn’t resist its STABs.

:sv/great-tusk:
Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake

To complement the Ogre Demon King core, I added the second-most used mon in OU: the Past Paradox Great Tusk! This is a defensive set with full investment in HP and Defence to try and maximise its longevity when hit on the physical side and as a result, it eats even a +2 Supreme Overlord 5 Adamant Sucker Punch. It complements Hoopa-U well as it takes the physical hits, while Hoopa takes the special hits.

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 114-135 (26.2 - 31.1%) -- 11.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Additionally, Great Tusk also eats the U-turns that Hoopa-U really doesn’t want to take, and inflicts chip with Rocky Helmet in return. Rocky Helmet also provides supplemental damage to cushion the reduced damage from no Atk Investment.

Stealth Rock is the only form of hazards on this team, which can be useful depending on opposing team composition to get some important chip damage in, to make cleaning late game slightly easier. Rapid Spin is the all-important hazards clear, and the main reason why I added Great Tusk to the team. Earthquake is its primary STAB that doesn’t drop its defences, while still dealing respectable damage, and Ice Spinner hits pesky Flying types that Earthquake can’t touch, while being super effective against other Great Tusks :great-tusk:, Landorus-T :landorus-therian: and Gliscor :gliscor:.

Tera Water is to tank otherwise supereffective water and ice-type moves, and can even allow Great Tusk to survive special water and ice moves on its incredibly weak Special Defense, like Hydro Pump from Rotom-W :rotom-wash:.

:sv/scizor:
Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Defog

Scizor was originally brought on as a Fairy killer, targeting Booster Valiant :iron-valiant: and Scarf Enamorus :enamorus:, which otherwise runs through most of the team. 252 Atk is a given to maximise its attack, while 252 HP is to tank as many hits as possible (similar to Kingambit). The EV spread could probably be more optimised, but I’m not sure if it’s worth investing in Scizor’s Speed when it is already low at base 55. Heavy Duty Boots is to protect it against hazards and let it come in safely to Defog if needed.

U-turn lets it act as a utility pivot, to bring in the other threats on the team. Simultaneously, it also gets STAB-boosted damage from U-turn on opponents, which is invaluable on Grass type threats like Ogerpon, Amoonguss :amoonguss: and Torterra :torterra:. The pièce de résistance is Technician-boosted Bullet Punch, which is a great Fairy Killer, as well as a form of priority to revenge kill already weakened mons, or even get in some chip damage against sweepers. Defog was brought on to supplement Tusk’s hazard clear, and its Steel typing makes it immune to Gliscor’s Toxic :gliscor:, allowing it to safely come in on the new spike stacker. Knock Off is to threaten out Gholdengo :gholdengo:, who would otherwise sit in to block my Defog.

Tera Steel is simply to boost Bullet Punch’s damage :)

:sv/iron-valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt

The final piece of the team is Scarfed Valiant, as our Fairy STAB and speed control, as well as the secondary special attacker behind Hoopa-U :hoopa-unbound:. The spread is the typical Scarf Valiant with full investment in Special Attack and Speed. I chose Scarf over Booster Energy as I valued the flexibility in swapping it out while still retaining its speed boost.

Moonblast is the usual Fairy STAB, which is capable of 2HKO-ing Zamazenta :zamazenta:, which the rest of the team bar Hoopa finds it difficult to break through, especially if its starts boosting with Iron Defense.

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 260-308 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 88 Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 86-102 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 17.7% chance to 3HKO

Aura Sphere was the most reliable Fighting special physical move (Focus Miss just isn’t for me :(), allowing it to hit Steel types and OHKO Kingambit. Thunderbolt was to supplement the team’s damage against water types, whether tera water Gliscor/Garg or just Dondozo :dondozo: or OHKO Enamorus :enamorus: with Tera Electric. Trick helps against stall mons like Garganacl :garganacl:, Ting-Lu :ting-lu: or Dondozo :dondozo:, tricking them a useless choice scarf while likely grabbing their Leftovers recovery.

Tera Electric to boost Thunderbolt damage :D

Threats
Running my team through a teambuilder identified a major Fairy weakness, and no resists to fire or water threats :(

Fairies
:sv/iron-valiant::sv/enamorus::sv/hatterene::sv/clefable:
Primarily, I believe while this team does have a weakness to fairies, it has a counter in Scizor:Scizor:and plans for Iron Valiant and Enamorus, the two primary fairy threats in the tier. Clefable can be handled by Kingambit's Iron Head quite easily as well. Hatterene is also pretty slow and can be played around with Hoopa-U:hoopa-unbound:and follow-up from Scizor or Kingambit:kingambit:.

Fires
:sv/Heatran::sv/moltres::sv/iron-moth::sv/chandelure::sv/ceruledge::sv/cinderace:
The fire type threats in :Heatran::moltres::iron-moth::chandelure: all pretty much crumple to Hoopa-Unbound (be wary of U-turn on Moltres), with the only issue being Ceruledge:ceruledge:as it is a physical set-up sweeper for which I do not really have an answer to (but haven't really seen enough in OU recently to test it out).Cinderace:cinderace: is also commonly run nowadays, and primarily Tusk is my switch in to eat a U-turn or Pyro Ball, and get chip with Rocky Helmet or threaten it next turn with an Earthquake.

With my new addition of Ogerpon-Wellspring, its Water Ivy Cudgel also become a threatening alternative, and if it tera's, hard counters all the mons above.

Waters
:sv/dondozo:
I do think Dondozo is an issue, but it may be my lack of true counters to water types except Ogerpon:Ogerpon-cornerstone:that is exacerbating the problem, with either Ogerpon-Rock's Horn Leech or Thunderbolt from two frail attackers in :hoopa-unbound: and :iron-valiant: being my answer.

With the addition of Ogerpon-Wellspring, Dondozo is a non-issue, with Water-Absorb and Horn Leech allowing it to sit on a Dondozo fairly comfortably.

Flying
:sv/zapdos::sv/tornadus-therian::sv/corviknight::sv/sneasler::sv/roaring-moon:
With the addition of Waterpon, the team does become quite weak to flying type attacks, which seem rather rare nowadays, especially from actual flying types. Hoopa-U:hoopa-unbound:would be the primary counter to Zapdos, since it eats most of its attacks. Kingambit:Kingambit:is also useful against Tornadus, resisting its STAB, and can use Corvi as set-up fodder with Tera. As backups, scarfed Iron Valiant:iron-valiant:can threaten weakened flying types with a fast Thunderbolt, which can be boosted by Tera.

Tera Flying Sneasler and Roaring Moon both of which can boost with SD and DD Booster Energy respectively, are also worth a mention. Luckily, both are rather frail defensively, and the trio of Scizor:scizor:Iron Valiant:Iron-valiant:and Kingambit:Kingambit:can be interchanged to get chip/KO these threats with their priority or scarf.

Zamazenta
:sv/zamazenta:
Pretty much only Iron Valiant and Hoopa-Unbound again stand a chance against Iron Def Zama, with Hoopa crumpling to Zama in a maximum of two turns :( Either that or its brute force time with Tera Flying Kingambit Swords Dance x 3 + Iron Head. Definitely try to save Iron Valiant specifically for Zamazenta though as it resists the two attacks commonly run by ID+BP sets, namely Body Press and Crunch.

Conclusion
I think this team has some good potential, but I'm still learning the game in the low ladder (about 1400s range), and would like to see if there are any improvements which could be made to my second RMT team that my untrained eye couldn't spot :D (especially since my first RMT was a not that great foray with Hoopa and Roaring Moon...oops) Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Nice team, I also feel cornerstone mask looks the best.

I also looked at your threats, and i feel like Zapdos might work well for your team. That's what i think, al least.

If the calculator i have is correct (it might not be) Then zapdos has a 25% chance to OHKO ZAmazenta with max HP and no SpD investment with Tera it's guarenteed, and Zamazenta can't really hit Zapdos past a 4HKO unless it has Stone Edge.

Also the Dondozo matchup might be easier with ZApdos.

If the calculator i have is correct (it might not be) Then zapdos has a 25% chance to OHKO ZAmazenta with max HP and no SpD investment with Tera it's guarenteed, and Zamazenta can't really hit Zapdos past a 4HKO unless it has Stone Edge.

Also the Dondozo matchup might be easier with ZApdos.
Thanks for taking a look! I think Zapdos is an interesting prospect, and will definitely give it a try, but the concern with Stone Edge is definitely an issue since the Choice Band sets would definitely run SE. Was the suggestion for Zapdos to replace Iron Valiant?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)