SS OU Old Meets New, bulky offensive

Hi welcome to my rmt old meets new. With the introduction of the DLC we get some of the old staples of gen gone past back into out to meet up with the current staples and thankfully they can be used in tandem to make a newer stronger build for a new metagame in pokemon. The team is bulky offensive and with every team i make i start off with one pokemon and work from there and for this team it was cinderace. The teams went through quiet a few changes with azumaril being changed for slowbro as magearna joined the team, rillaboom swapping out for the bulkier tangrowth as it's scarf set was not particularly useful for the team and a grassy bulky regenerator made the team more obnoxiously self sastaining and we keep a nice fire/water/grasss core i was hoping for, with changes suggested by the hunter things changed up quiet a bit for the team to make it alot more offensively orinated over a prievously passive build.

Thanks for reading that bulky paragraph now it's on to the team!

Cinderace @ Heavy duty boots

Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt

Cinderace has gained it's hidden ability and with it's great speed and solid attacking stats backed up with a solid movepool it's prepared to clean up the meta by hitting as many pokemon super effective possible. Suggested by the hunter to handle threats like volcanora better as well as having a better overall synergy with the team the set changes to bulk up cinderace. The move choice is simple enough - Bulk up raises cinderaces attack and defence allowing it to set up sweep with the ability to change it's typing comming in handy to do so as it checks numerous threats, speaking of checking threats volcanora is quite the major threat in this meta and really high jump kick isn't 100% needed on this set to work so it takes it's place to better help with potential speedy threats like the fire moth, pyro ball is amazing fire stab thats accurate but with a beeef base power behind it and nice small chance of a burn, and finally zen headbut is great for dealing with the likes of topapex which otherwise can wall this set with haze or worse a burn. Heavy duty boots make for the item of choice as it allows cinderace to come in on hzards and not recieve any damage, which is handy given cinderace is weak to stealth rock and vurnerable to all.The nature and eves are pretty straight forward, we have a jolly nature to maximise speed as cinderace has a unquie tier of 119 speed outpacing much of the metagame and keeping speed at max ensures tieing with other cinderace at worst and the rest of the eves go into attack to maxmise damageoutput with a life orb to allow cinderace to flexably change it's moves at the cost of a little less damage than choice band and a little bit of chip damage.

Urshifu @ Choice Band

Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch

The newest addition to the pokedex, Urshifu can either be a dark/fighting or water/fighting, in this case he is a powerful wallbreaker with the former. Thanks in large part to the excellent coverage of dark type moves and the raw power of wicked blow which always lands a critical hit so it even ignores beefed up defence he makes for an excellent wall breaker with a choice band. The move choice is simple -Wicked blow is a given it's the main reason why this form of urshifu is so good, close combat is just a very powerful fighting stab that can be used to plow through teams with ease, poison jab allows urshifu to hurt fairy types that wall his stab, and sucker punch is stab priority move for a pokemon that falls shy of the crucial base 100 speed milestone this is very useful backed by the power of band stab plus 130 base attack. The nature chosen is jolly to outspeed pokemon of 96 speed and bellow with the rest of the eves in speed and attack to maximise damage output, tie with other urshifu's and aagin to outpace mainly the large amount of positive base 95 pokemon like kyurem-n. This pokemon and set was suggested by the hunter <3

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep powder

Slowbro is gone and it's nice to have physical wall tangrowth changes to a more physically oriantated set. Being able to handle top threats in the metagame like rillaboom with relative ease the set prooves extra useful as well in the absence of kommo-o on the team. The set is simple enough -Without assult vest tangrowth can now run sleep powder which is great for putting would be counters to sleep comming in to hurt the now not so specially bulky tangrowth on that side, knock off is useful for hurting pokemon by removing their items and psychic/ghost types too, sludge bomb hits fairies and other grass types too, in particular it makes tangrowth an even better check to rillaboom, and finaly we have giga drain which essentially a stab healing move for tangrowth that gives it more longevity. The relaxed nature was chosen as not to hurt the damge output of knock of as well as the speed investment on tangrowth not being nessisary with a speed neutral nature. The eves give maximium physical bulk to tangrowth along with it's defence + nature so they all go into Hp and defence with the leftovers in special bulk. This change was recomended by the hunter.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

The team is not a fan of volt turn cores and one of the best answers to this is excadrill, ontop of this he can also provide stealth rock and additional hazard removal for the team is need be althrough it's much less reliable than defog on mandibuzz on removing them so it exists merely as a bonus. The move choice for excadrill is standard on choice scarf sets- earthquake is a powerful stab while iron head is secondary stab that hits fairies rocks and ice types super effective, rappid spin is just extra hazard removal in a pinch as there isn't much need for rock slide on this set as it's rather weak ingeneral, and finaly we have stealth rock as the team needs it and forcing out these volt turn cores amongst other pokemon by grace of it's stellar typing allows excadrill to set it up often. The nature jolly helps excadrill outspeed as much as he can with a scarf as possible, with the rest of the eves in attack and speed to allow this and have damage output at maximium. Lastly moldbreaker is the ability of choice as the extra speed of sand rush is not needed as i'm niether running a sand setter nor is it nessary, while mold breaker allows him to destroy rotom-h a common part of volt turn cores which he would otherwise be walled by. exacadrill was recomended by the hunter

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Origonally when i had dracopult over kommo-o the team was looking to have issues with no ghost ressist and this guy was corviknight but wanting a ghost ressist which is still nice now for slowbro the metal raven left and the vulture joined. The vulture is a nice special wall for it's ability to tank many special threats, namely gengar, ageislash and dragopult and evn some phsical threats don't like buzz much either like exacdrill as a bonus. for the move choice we have - foul play as a way to make up for it's lack luster attack stat giving it a way to hit hard with it's dark stab, roost is great healing move and is one of the reasons that manibuzz doesn't mind giving leftovers the boot for heavy duty boots, U-turn allows him to keep up the momentum and switch out if he is threatened and defog is crown jewl for the team, we hate toxic spikes and stealth rock isn't nice for cinderace so getting rid of it so easily if it gets up is really nice. The eves allow madibuzz to tie with or outpace pokemon slower than 220 speed with the rest in maxed in hp and 160 in special defence to give good special bulk and pretty decent mixed bulk overall.

Magearna @ Leftovers

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Stored power

The final pokemon on the team was origonally an assult vest set but in order to get a set up sweeper for the team and the increased redundancy of assult vest set. The move choice is simple- swift gear allows magearna to get a nice boost in speed as it's normally teribly slow, it's typing makes it pretty easy to do this and it's mixed bulk too, ice beam plus aura sphere gives it insane coverage so when it's got off a swift gear any would be counter has to face it so frail counters beware, and Stored power allows it to take advanatage of the multiple boosts it gets in attack & speed with shift gear for powerful coverage move. A timid nature is chosen as magearna is slow as shit but it's special attack si already solid so being as fast as possible is more important than a modest nature to max special attack so as such for eves we keep them in special attack and speed at max to allow it to be as fast as possible and hit hard as possible under these curcimstances with a speed of 502 after a swift gear outpacing many scarfers out there that come short of 500 speed with a scarf. Changes recomended by the hunter

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to RMT! Very solid team you got there, although to me it seems a way too much passive as it lacks of fire power, therefore I tried to fix it.
First of all Cinderace
needs to run the Heavy Duty Boots instead of the life orb. Libero already offers more power to your attacks as they'll always turn out to be STAB. Consequently, I think now we can turn it to the good version, which is still one of the most scary threat in the current metagame.

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch / High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bulk Up

Actually, it is worth to spend some time on the the possible versions of this Cinderace. You'll later realise that my version of your team might work better than the original one, but Volcarona
turns to be a major threat, therefore you might need sucker punch much more than High Jump kick when it comes to deal with Volcarona itself. We will be back to the issue later though.
Moving through the team itself, I'd wholeheartedly recommend you to change your Tangrowth's
spread and therefore its set too.
Since the metagame made it possible for me to envisage a change of your physical wall, I think you could afford to run Rocky Helmet Tangrowth, not to make matters worse vs Rillaboom
, as your original team seems to struggle facing it.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb

Since i chose to remove Kommo-o, we run out of stealth rock setters plus we'd need a ground type to stop those annoying volt-turn cores which still sometimes are still in vogue. I chose, then, to run Excadrill.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This was another crossroads for me. Scarf Excadrill with stealth rock really seems kind of pointless, but it doesn't need rock slide when it comes to run the choice scarf in this metagame in my opinion ( also choice scarf Excadrill is actually really strange right now, but it can do some nice work vs Zeraora
. As a matter of fact Zeraora usage has lowered ever since both Tangrowth and Amoonguss
have been released, but Toxic could still be annoying for Tangrowth. Furthermore, Zeraora's special set still threatenes the metagame. )

Last but not the least, I'd change Slowbro, as you now lack of a wallbreaker with no need of boosts. Going beforehand back to the Volcarona issue though, you could either run Sucker Punch on Cinderace or you could run 20 attack EVs on Mandibuzz
. In this case Brave Bird would be preferable to u-turn, in order to hit volcarona. ( 20 Atk Mandibuzz Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 266-314 (85.5 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO, after few chip damages, it's pretty easy to knock it out.)

Now it's the time for the last change I previously announced.

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch

This beast will be your wallbreaker. Since it also has Sucker Punch you might prefer to run High Jump Kick on Cinderace (?), it's just a matter of going safer vs Volcarona also taking into account a chance to run u-turn on Urshifu to exploit some momentum.

You could also change Magearna's set and run Stored Power > Ice Beam and Aura Sphere > Thunderbolt, as it usually works better in the current metagame, but that's rather a personal opinion.

I hope you enjoy the team and the changes i made for you, if you have any question, knock to my door and I'll be there. :]

Last edited:
Thanks for your help bud i've creidted you in the new updated rmt, which includes the following changes

-Now larger text, font and in bold to make it easier for dyslexic people like me to read
-Added a splash of colour to make it more appealing overall to the eyes
-Added in the recomended changes by hunter
-updated the models to ones from serebii as they are larger with better detail and urshifu was not on the showdown sprite list when i looked anyways XD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)