OMPL VI Discussion Thread

Are you ready kids?
What better way to start off an OMPL discussion thread then with a good old fashioned treasure hunt! The goal of this hunt is to find the hidden clues I will create using a complex method. This might sound-EXtremely challenging, but there is an easy way to solve this. You must find these clues and use them to unlock the secret formula. The catch is: you will not know what the clue actually might be. I will hide it somewhere within this message, and the first person to solve this puzzle will win the grand prize! PM me on discord (bdov#8714) when you think you have the answer. Now squeeze that brain of yours and start searching! Remember this is supposed to be Just 4 fun so 1 want no one 2 cheat: fair and square.

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

Edit: adding some more info as people are having difficulty. the answer is ONE word. you may need to decipher a code but the way of doing so is in the message.

Last edited:
if this post gets 30 likes Laxpras has to do one last ompl for the bois will delete after as to not like whore.
However if anyone does want to support honest like whoring feel free to like this post.

There's definitely an interesting mixture of folks managing this year: TI who is no doubt hoping to continue his run of illustrious OMPLs, jrdn who will surely be of benefit to the teambuilding for their squad, Chloe who is so confident she doesn't need a co-manager.

Personally I am looking forwards to lengthening my streak of not getting drafted.

Who needs Stabmons when AAA is still around :]

As for thoughts... Uh... I just wanna get drafted. Pretty good teams name tho. Buyers Bewear is hella clever.

Around the time of last ompl is when i first started to play this game competitively I'm very excited to hopefully get the chance to participate this year. As far is the player pool is concerned while some may think that it being less deep is a negative I think it is a good opportunity for those less known people to step up and make a name for themselves, and I am looking forward to all the games. The managers this year are really fire I would consider most or all of them pals of mine and expect them all to do extremely good jobs. so this should be a pretty fuego ompl imo hf all.

oh and fuck your treasure hunt bdov

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hello everyone, I'm making custom logos of all of the teams. They do have a small price tag, though, if the leaders want to use them.

fivestar.png

cost: 200,000 deviantart points

bedroom.png

cost: giving up global administrator privileges

mbmr.png

cost: 1 single rof

hot.png

cost: a screenshot of durza saying hes off topic

hydrophobic.png

cost: making your ag player make teams without ho-oh

hellborn.png

cost: 1 week without mentioning "drampa"

buyer.png

cost: 2 bitcoins

treasuretown.png

cost: be called megayzard until ompl ends

(as requested by Zovrah)
ecstatic.png

cost: ban Zovrah

(prices are negotiable if i feel good that day)

I maintain a strict zero-tolerance for stealing. If I see you using my logos without paying, I will call the police on you so they can give you a hefty fine.

***150% of the proceeds will go towards making the shitposting shuckles team a reality***

Last edited:

pazza

Banned deucer.
I maintain a strict zero-tolerance for stealing. If I see you using my logos without paying, I will call the police on you so they can give you a hefty fine.

***150% of the proceeds will go towards making the shitposting shuckles team a reality***
what are u gonna do

FREE SHITPOST SHUCKLES

Screenshot.png

THIS TEAM CAN ONLY BE FORMED BY SHITPOSTERS
xavgb Anaconja smellslikememe tegrof19

steal it and u become a shitposter xd

MAMP

MAMP!
OFFICIAL OMPL TEAM NAME POWER RANKINGS

it's that time of year again! ompl has always showcased some of the very best and the very worst in team names, and this year is no different. join me on a journey through this turgid swamp of alliterating <adjective> <pokemon name> team names and we'll see how they stack up.

#1 - Buyer Bewears
somehow uselesscrab always has the best team name every year. this name is catchy, clever and charming. pun names can often fall flat, but this one has a subtlety to it that stands above the rest, and it flows nicely off the tongue. wonderful stuff.

#2 - Bedroom Blisseys
ti sent me fifteen dollars on paypal to put his team name at #2

#3 - The Five-Star Jolteons
gotta give some credit to the five-star jolteons for being the only team without an alliterative name. dare to be different y'all, alliteration is overdone, low-effort, and usually pretty cheesy. even though this name is very corny, it has a unique character to it that really makes it stand out.

#4 - Treasure Town Talonflames
a solid name overall. has a nice rhythm to it and sounds like an actual name that a sports team might have in the pokemon universe. normally i'm not a huge fan of alliteration, but the triple T here really appeals to me for some reason.

#5 - Hellborn Heliolisks
this one is in the middle because it's boring and i don't really have anything much to say about it. feels like they just picked a random mon and a random adjective that starts with the same letter. try to put some more heart into it next time, this team name has zero personality

#6 - Metro Boomin Mega Rayquazas
this name is way too long and i guess it's referencing a rapper or something? feels tacky overall. the flow of this name is improved enormously if you shorten it to just Metro Boomin Mega Rays - if this were the official name this team might be ranked higher

#7 - Hotshot Honchkrows
this one is ranked so low partially because it is super bland and generic but mainly because Head Honchkrows would have been so much better

#8 - Hydrophobic Hydreigons
when i think of the pokemon hydreigon, the first thing that comes to my mind is how much it really hates water, great name chloe

fr, this team name is a travesty on the same level as some of the ompl's all time lows, like 'zygomorphic zygardes', 'squirmy earthwyrms' (sic) and 'beta bagons'. a truly disgraceful effort.

-----

a pretty middling assortment of names this year. we've got a couple of real gems and a whole bunch of mediocre whatever. hoping for a bit more creativity next year.

free BIG BOOTY CELESTEELA

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
somehow uselesscrab always has the best team name every year. this name is catchy, clever and charming. pun names can often fall flat, but this one has a subtlety to it that stands above the rest, and it flows nicely off the tongue. wonderful stuff.
fr, this team name is a travesty on the same level as some of the ompl's all time lows, like 'zygomorphic zygardes', 'squirmy earthwyrms' (sic) and 'beta bagons'. a truly disgraceful effort.
The Zygomorphic Zygardes, managed by Piccolo Daimao and Uselesscrab

Hey, 2015 was a different time in OMs, okay?

Case in point: the King Kois were a promising new team led by a user who was not yet named after a Pokemon training mechanic, rortik was terrorizing the room through permalock evasion and hadn't yet become an inexplicable cult figure, and there was an unironic change.org petition to free Classic Hackmons. And I, in my infinite wisdom, thought it was a good idea to take a random botanical adjective I learned from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon years earlier and juxtapose it with the name of a Pokemon whose potential Game Freak had not yet fully realized, ignoring Piccolo's more sane suggestions all the while.

Now, I've completely moved on, and my team names are no longer extremely esoteric and bizarre, am I right? ...Right?

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, 2015 was a different time in OMs, okay?

Case in point: the King Kois were a promising new team led by a user who was not yet named after a Pokemon training mechanic, rortik was terrorizing the room through permalock evasion and hadn't yet become an inexplicable cult figure, and there was an unironic change.org petition to free Classic Hackmons. And I, in my infinite wisdom, thought it was a good idea to take a random botanical adjective I learned from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon years earlier and juxtapose it with the name of a Pokemon whose potential Game Freak had not yet fully realized, ignoring Piccolo's more sane suggestions all the while.

Now, I've completely moved on, and my team names are no longer extremely esoteric and bizarre, am I right? ...Right?
This made me realize that the Kois aren’t a team and that makes me sad.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
#3 The Five-Star Jolteons - DBW & Ransei

Ransei is one of the better managers, and he knows what he is doing when it comes to drafting (even with pepa)

#6 The Bedroom Blisseys - The Immortal
Yh yh 2-3 ompl win but he gets way too much credit than he actually deserves imo

#7 The Metro Boomin Mega Rayquazas - DEG & sedertz

Looking at the managers, it would prob be a fun team to play in but I doubt they have much chance compared to the rest. They'll prob just take one of the bigger names without looking too much into anyone

#1 The Hotshot Honchkrows - Jrdn & Snaquaza

The best team by far. With snaq's great leadership and jrdn's broken teams in aaa and mnm... Its kinda unfair to the rest lool

#5 The Hydrophobic Hydreigons - Chloe

She is nice ig, don't really know her that much when it comes to managing but I assume she is better than the other 2, but not the rest. Could very well be wrong tho. She did win 1 ompl after all

#8 The Hellborn Heliolisks - drampa's grandpa & OM room
Idk wat to say

#4 The Buyer Bewears - ScarfWynaut & Uselesscrab

:I

#2 The Treasure Town Talonflames - Leru & Megazard
A nice team. Zard's Ag shit will help a lot in this format and he is a p good leader

Last edited:
I know this is kinda early but a lot of BH players already signed up so here comes my possibly biased OMPL VI BH Drafting Guide! Not going to play this year but hope to spectate some great games!
The players in this section have past experience in OMPL and the BH tournament scene in general and are kept up to date with the current metagame. Needlessly to say, all managers are pretty familiar with them and their abilities. So if you want them on your roster, expect a good amount of investment in your auction!

E4 Flint or Klang (both didn't sign up)

highlighter
badlighter, nooblighter, or w/e you want to call him, you can't deny him a place at the top of this list. He's back and proves to be in good form recently. If you are an outsider, just watch his replays in his recent RMT: the way he plays Chansey in the game vs OD ON SALT already differentiates himself from all others that are not in the top 7 of this list.

morogrim
When morogrim is on, he is superb. The gut reliant side of him and the sometimes weird team choice (like last OMPL final) is exploitable, but this is my nitpicking and he is still ahead of the majority of the pool.

MAMP
MAMP the champ. Kept coming up with cool sets, and has a winning history in the past. As long as she is active and tries hard, she is in this category.

The players in this section have success in the recent circuit tournament scene, or in the past edition of OMPL / BH team tour. While their name isn't added to "the greatest BHers in history" they have the most potential to succeed. And they should cost you a tiny bit less than those in the section above. (Not guaranteed though)

Willdbeast
It's now the turn of the new BH Open winner to prove himself in the team tournament scene. Some claimed he has "exploitable weakness" in his building habit but that should be easily fixed by a teammate. What I like about will is the fact that he is guided by First Principle and is actually conscious of the choices he makes in team building.
And his humor should be a good asset to any team :)
(It's cool to see you grow buddy, hope you shine in this one 0.0)

SL42 (Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request))
The gimmick king with actually interesting gimmicks. You might claim that he has strange team choice and is not so reliable on the big stage, but I put him here with gut feeling. Some may complain that he complains a bit more than others when he loses: No one likes losing, esp. when the MU is bad, and that shows he is willing to claim victories. If he has decent teammate support to stop him when he goes over the line of using gimmicks, I can surely see him being successful.

jasprose
Jasp is one of the only two starters that had a positive record in BH last year (the other is Flint), and despite attempted quitting a bunch of times in the past months, he eventually stayed. Hope he can keep it going in winning OMPL games.

Quantum Tesseract
The new BH Open runner-up and a successful OM player all around. I put him at the bottom of the list not because I doubt his ability (and they are pretty close anyway) but mostly because he might be playing another tier. If he can avoid the over MU-reliant building habit he showed in last rounds of Open and get good assistance in building from a teammate, I can see him being a very successful pick.

These two sections above concludes my own pick of the 8 7 most worthy starters of the season. And nearly all of them are self-contained players who can both build and play at a high level. Surely I can foresee some other players pop up and take their places due to perhaps personal connection, or an amazing form during the tryouts, or even some of them landing on the same team.

Real Heat? God Player? Ladder Hero?
The players in this category have varying backgrounds. Some I am more familiar with and some not. While not in the top 7, they are players with decent metagame knowledge and ready to shine as well, just not with the top tour record that the top eight have. Unlike the two sections above, players here are alphabetized.

Adrian Marin
You might question me why Adrian isn’t in the tried and true veteran list. Again, I haven’t seen him playing on the tour scene for a while, and single-dimensionally using stall cannot be very successful in the current metagame. I saw a game in which he had a double regen core combined with a tina that actually loses to imposter due to free PP stall and not enough pressure. However, needless to say, he was and will possibly be a great pick.

aki0s
A good friend of mine that I failed to include on lists above but aki0s knows the meta well and can be a good asset in both building and the playing.

Duckymono Senior
A controversial player with a strong opinion and a history of bans. He had a chance of becoming a good player should he didn’t go through all the drama resulted from his attitude. Would you risk picking him? Only you yourself know.

Funbot28
Another good friend of mine that I failed to include in top two sections, partially because she is a versatile player and might end up playing something else. Admittedly her last showing of BH in OMPL wasn’t a great memory but she’s been kept up with the tier and is capable of competing with the best.

GL Volkner
Sadly, VoltDarkrai had a bad time last OMPL due to many factors, some out of his hand. (I still regret my team suggestion for Gmu to this date lol) Still a potential player and I bet he hopes to be a helper of Flint should they get on the same team. since Flint didn't sign up Volkner will fight with some alongside some other goons.

Halliday
While he has been inactive this year, he should be able to function decently as long as he tries hard to get back in form, since he is also a proved player in the tier.

motherlove
Motherlove, motherhate. Guided by First Principle, he definitely knows what he is doing. After a long period of inactivity, he appears to be rusty. But if he has been actively playing the tier he should easily be among the top four or five picks of the tier.

sugarhigh
Another proved player of the tier that basically goes inactive. Plus he might have WCOP to worry about. So yeah, if he tries hard in BH, he should be a fine pick.

The following players either had decent showings in some tours or in general appears to know the tier decently (disclaimer: “know the tier” is sort of arbitrary judgment by myself and could be very inaccurate). However, honestly, I don't know much about their BH plays partly due to my own inactivity, plus the fact that OMPL games are on a whole different level compared to ladder / other tournaments (esp. before semis). So you need to do the tryout with them yourself to figure it out.

Had some results in tournaments:
Hassin (Open) / Go0d (Spring Seasonal) / Akashi aka jeran (Open) / Whitephoenixac (Spring Seasonal) / Mark_K (Spring Seasonal) / MMagma (Spring Seasonal) / Balanced Freakmons (ladder)
The standards are: BH team tour (positive record in SM) / spring seasonal (made R6) / BH open (made R4) / Ladder (sample team provider / decent RMTs).

Honorable Mentions (sort of arbitrary):
Catalystic / PinkDragonTamer / Pikachuun / Magikingdra / Anaconja / pazza / Zovrah / loser2017 / SuperSkylake

For the players reading this:

Don’t feel offended if you didn’t get placed in the place you think you would deserve/didn’t make this list at all: this guide only include players who signed up (also excuse me if I missed your signup since I basically searched "BH" in the signup thread :v) and is heavily (if not solely) based on BH tour scene records starting 2017 (plus my familiarity with certain individual players). You might prove to the managers yourselves (through tryouts etc.) that you are the hidden gems ready to shine!

Honestly, should this thing exist in the last year, I can’t imagine me placed among the 6 starters. But luckily I got drafted and walked out with a neutral record, so believe in yourself and try your best in tryouts!

---
Will keep this guide updated when new noticeable players sign up!
Versions: June 8th, Finalized
Added new signups: Halliday / sugarhigh / motherlove / PinkDragonTamer
Removed: E4 Flint (didn't sign up) / Klang (didn't sign up) / RNG aka DMDW (didn't sign up) / Leru (managing) / Ransei (managing) / Scarfwynaut (managing)
Standardized Tournament mentions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)