[on site] Tips and Tricks: 3rd Generation

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd suggest changing it to 'Legendary Beasts' instead of 'Legendary Dogs'.

Magmortar also should not be listed in Emerald tips, as it didn't exist then.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gonna html this (I'll make these changes too)

For example, if you want to evolve your Feebas into a Milotic, then use can use some Pamtre berries to to make Pokeblocks and then feed them for Feebas.
This sentence is kind of awkward. (also use can use is a typo) I would change it to:

For example, you can use Pokeblock made from Pamtre Berries to evolve your Feebas into Milotic.

Under Mirage Island
One of the most rare things
Should be rarest I think. Later on in the same paragraph you say "most rare" again.

There are instances where you say "Firered" and it is supposed to be FireRed according to mingot. (and LeafGreen too)

Have the roamer's in your Pokedex
Delete the apostrophe (this is under the Legendary dogs)

Under the "Togepi Egg" heading you call the islands "Sevi", you missed an "i" (it's Sevii Islands).

To get to them, go too Island 5, then head north until you reach Resort Gorgeous.
to > too

Shadow Pokemon are unlike normal Pokemon, so they might have things that normal Pokemon don't.
I would change this to "Shadow Pokemon are different from normal Pokemon in several ways, including:" and just delete the next part of the sentence.

If he says "That stat is relatively good" then the best IV is between 0 and 15.
If he says "That stat is quite impressive" then the best IV is between 16 and 25.
If he says "That stat is outstanding!" then the best IV is between 26 and 30.
If he says "It's flawless! A thing of perfection!" then the best IV is 31.
I would add commas after the quote.
(By the way, Magmortar is still in the section on Flame Body/Magma Armor)

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Yeah I still haven't updated it, I'll just fetch a screen shot of the EV ribbon woman. So you're going to HTMLize this? That would be great! If you spot any errors, then just change them yourself, all of what you pointed above is right. I'll edit the OP in while.

EDIT: Actually, I think it would be a better idea to sort out what the IV guy says into a table. "If he says.." first column, and "then the best IV..." in a second column. What do you think?

Thank you very much Jimbo!

@Havak: fixed, thanks!

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's a patch of land east of Pacificdlog in Ruby\Sapphire (but not Emerald) where you could ride a bike into the tides and the tides would push you back on land. This was a very easy way to level up Pokemon in the Day-Care if you held down Left on the D-pad with a heavy object overnight.

This trick also worked with riding an Acro Bike up the mud slopes. Once again, not in Emerald.

I don't have an emulator save file up that far, though.

On a side note, this let Pokemon earn more experience than their maximum at L100. I always wondered what would happen if I let it sit in the Daycare long enough for the experience counter to roll back to zero.

There's one TV news report that I feel it should be noted: The Blend Master.

He's an old man that shows up in the Contest Hall of Lilycove City after watching the TV broadcast that announces him. He's standing next to a Berry Blender and you can make Pokeblocks with him. Doing so with good berries will get you high level pokeblocks with little effort.

It should be noted because this is probably the best way to get good pokeblocks to evolve Feebas.

This looks very good Malfunction! However, I did spot a number of smalls errors so I'll just get to the point and fix errors in those areas. Edits are in red and comments are in blue.

Çapitalization of "Berries"

• Getting Some Hidden Berries
Along the R/S games there is quite some hidden Berries (capitalize all terms related to "berry"). Below is a list of the locations of some of them.

Talk to the Berry master's wife and tell her what she wants to hear:
The real selling point of Mirage Island, however, is that it is the only place were you can get a Liechi Berry, one of the rarest Berries in the game
4. The Blend Master

The Blend Master is an old man that shows up in the Contest Hall of Lilycove City after watching the TV broadcast that announces him. He can be found standing next to a Berry Blender and you can make Pokeblocks with him. Doing so with good Berries will get you high level Pokeblocks with little effort. This can be helpful when you want to get good Pokeblocks to evolve a Feebas
I ran a lowercase "berry" search and those were the only ones that seemed to be there, so that's great!

Spelling and Other Errors

• Capturing the Legendary Beasts
In FireRed and LeafGreen, after defeating the Elite Four, one of the Legendary Beasts (not sure if "Legendary Beasts" should be capitalized) will be roaming around Kanto. Depending on your starter, only one of the beasts can be found.
Method
  1. Fly to Viridian City, and head up to Route 2, near the entrance of Virdian Forest Pokemon Day Care.
Other Pokemon worth mentioning are Pokemon with the Soundproof ability, such as Mr. Mime, which are not affected by moves like Roar.
Trainer #67 at MT.Battle
Golduck: 2 Points
Gorebyss: 2 Points
Ampharos: 3 Points
Magneton: 2 Points
total: 9 Points
(remember to put a space between these two)
Trainer #68 at MT.Battle
Gloom: 2 Points
Vileplume: 3 Points
Sunflora: 2 Points
Total: 7 Points
Trainer #69 at MT.Battle
Girafaric: 2 Points
Kirlia: 2 Points
Lunatone: 2 Points
Kadabra: 2 Points
(Remember to add the total points given)
SPECIAL DEFENSE
Trainer #71 at MT.Battle
Kecleon: 1 Point
Ledian: 2 Points
Dustox: 3 Points
(Remember to add the total points given)
The 'Ultimate Egg Move Parent'(,) Smeargle, is without doubt the best Pokemon for breeding egg moves onto new Pokemon.
Thus, next to Ditto, Smeargle is the second most important breeding tool within the game. It is a must have for any competitive breeder.
A Pokemon that is at 1 HP and asleep has the highest chance of being caught
Synchronize: If a Pokemon with this ability is leading your party, then there is a 50% chance that any Pokemon you encounter will have the same nature as your Pokemon. Pokemon with Synchronize include Espeon, Umbreon, Natu, (correct me if I'm wrong:) Abra, Mew, and Ralts
  • Unlocking Repeat and Timer Balls
After clearing the Rusturf Tunnel with Rock Smash, speak to the Devon corporation Employee on the Rustboro Side exit(;) he will give you one of the balls, and inform you that the Rustboro Pokémart will sell both the Timer and Repeat Balls.
2. Pokemon Swarms
Sometimes, you will hear about outbreaks of some Pokemon like Seadot and Nuzleaf on their respective Routes. If you mix records with R/S, you might hear about a swarm of Surskit, a Pokemon that doesn't normally appear in Emerald.
This glitch is easily one of the best glitches any of the Pokemon games has ever had. It can be used to clone up to 6 Pokemon at a time and a huge number of Items at once. To attempt this glitch you have to first beat the Elite Four and unlock the Battle Frontier. Once there, head to the Battle Tower, and follow the following steps:
  1. Once inside the Battle Tower, head to the PC (on the far right).
  2. Deposit any Pokemon/Item you want to clone (If you want to clone items, select the "Move Pokemon" option, and then make any Pokemon in the PC hold the item you want cloned). If you want to clone anything that is already in the PC, you don't have to withdraw it and then deposit it again. Just make sure anything you want to clone is inside the PC.
  3. Turn off the PC, then Save the game.
  4. Turn on the PC, and withdraw any Pokemon or Items you want Cloned.
(In red are the capitalized words "Items". For most of the guide you used "items" [not capitalized], so I'd suggest you decapitalize the words here in red.)
Those are all the errors I spotted. Everything else is very nicely done and very informative. Great job Malfunction :)

edit: Actually you don't need to edit these in if you don't want to; i took care of it!

twashedit: I have cached the edit - the changes are now on-site.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This glitch is easily one of the best glitches any of the Pokemon games has ever had. It can be used to clone up to 5 Pokemon at a time and a huge number of Items at once.
You can't deposit the last Pokemon in your party in the box to do the trick.

Well, technically, you can clone 6, but you end up sacrificing something else. Basically, after the "deposit and save" step, you deposit the Pokemon you have in your party and withdraw the 6 Pokemon you want cloned, but the Pokemon you just deposited is lost forever.

Would the Nugget Bridge trick also be handy?
Depends. What is it?

Malfunction

nice desu ne
@Erodent: Great! Thank you very much for that!

@OmegaDonut: Yeah, what you said it right. I just didn't want to say that you need to 'sacrifice' a pokemon to clone 6 at once as that can mix up beginners.

@RSEFRLG: It's not really a trick, it's something you have to do to move on with the game.

This looks great mingot, thanks!

EDIT: Just checked the link again, it's broken >.>

EDIT2: Cool, thanks Erodent ^_^.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)