- Recover

Volcarona @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Sp Atk
Rage Powder
Quiver Dance
Fiery Dance
Endure

Yes I know Krook's EV's aren't optimal. I'd imagine Toge's aren't either.

Regi is excellent & Volc & Toge had been great too. Jelli hasn't, I've not had any reason or opportunity to click anything but Water Spout. I brought in Venusaur for Gallade as the Mega and wasn't wholly impressed. I thought Krook's set worked well but it generally lacked power and bulk as it got worn down too quickly.

I'd like to keep Regigigas, Volcarona and Togekiss but I'd appreciate any comments & suggestions. I've got a bunch of stuff I can use so nothing is unreasonable.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For Togekiss, I'd run the standard Follow Me set, which can be found onsite under VGC analyses. Togekiss's big selling point is that its a pretty good redirector. I dont think Togekiss can relearn Follow Me via move relearner, so I can clone you one later if you want a0161613

Also not totally sure about Volcarona in this metagame. I haven't really seen any on the PS ladder or on battle spot triples today, probably because it doesn't offer as good of redirection support as Amoonguss, and is weak to a ton of stuff. If you wanna keep using it though, I'd replace Endure with Bug Buzz personally, as it lets you hit Krookodile hard.

As for Krookodile, if you aren't using Scarf, I'd use Earthquake / Knock Off / Snatch / Rock Slide. Snatch is the biggest selling point of a Krookodile without Scarf, since you can destroy opposing guards. Just make sure you don't steal your own Regigigas Wide Guard! Also of note, that set goes especially well with priority abusers such as Scizor or Talonflame.

On another topic, I would highly reccomend everyone go on the Triples ladder at the moment: tones of festive feud teams there at the moment! Also in a surprise twist, Regigigas has been doing well against regular triples teams... now I dont feel as bad for Master Balling that thing lol.

On another topic, I would highly reccomend everyone go on the Triples ladder at the moment: tones of festive feud teams there at the moment! Also in a surprise twist, Regigigas has been doing well against regular triples teams... now I dont feel as bad for Master Balling that thing lol.
They are indeed all over the place. I finally drew a high-ranking one and got a 1699 Japanese player, both of us using Festive Feud teams. I wish I'd saved it, but my battle videos were full.

Octillery was the last 'mon standing. Suuuuuper close. Other teams have been pretty easy so far.

Managed to complete all of the ten battles today - kinda. My opponent D/C'd on team preview for the tenth match, yet the server still logged me out after my ninth complete battle. Hopefully I can make up for it tomorrow.

Anyway, my current record is 8-1 W/L. Mega Gardevoir is a beast with the right support. I'm excited for what the next stage in the tournament brings. :)

EDIT: Apparently the D/C counted as a win in my favour. A bit disappointing, since they had an interesting team (although it was very Gardevoir weak so I understood the D/C). So now 9-1.

Last edited:
I'm currently 5-1, and the biggest thing I've noticed is there are a LOT of rain teams (4/6 so far). I know it's a small sample size so it might be a coincidence, but I'd recommend being well prepared for rain. Luckily I have sunny day meowstic. I'm just realizing how long triple battles take in-game, so I understand why it's only 10 battles/day for this competition.
Edit: Finished 8-2. My losses were to of all things, a mono-bug team and a destiny bond delibird. I should probably stop letting my guard down, because both I could have handled better

Last edited:
Do forfeits count towards the 3 necessary games for the PGL Delibird?

cant say says: no. play the damn games you butt

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5-1 so far but I could have won that game I lost if I had known Snatch also worked on my own team =/
It seems some people are competing only for the Delibird. I just faced a team of Wingull, Wurmple, Pansear, Ralts, Flabebe, and Azurill. I just couldn't continue after that.

I'm 5-1 so far but I could have won that game I lost if I had known Snatch also worked on my own team =/
It seems some people are competing only for the Delibird. I just faced a team of Wingull, Wurmple, Pansear, Ralts, Flabebe, and Azurill. I just couldn't continue after that.
Similar experience here i am currently at 5-1 aswell with 1 team instantly forfeiting the game and the other only consisting of pokemon that were probably not even level 50 originaly, i don't recall the exact team but some of them were fletchling magikarp and roselia. Anyways i also faced charizard x already which was a suprise because it actualy survived the first rockslide from my tyranitar but it was otherwise relatively useless. I hope i will face less of these instant forfeit teams once i reach a rank outside of the 1500's. So far i did enjoy the tournament a lot anyways. :)

This is my first time in an online competition so I was just asking if I can switch Pokemon out later in the competition because I saw this on the rules for the competition "If you register your Pokémon to your member ID during a competition, your Battle Box will be locked and you will not be able to change your Pokémon's moves or held items". Or does this just mean you can't do it while your online mid match? Also, are all online competitions like this?

This is my first time in an online competition so I was just asking if I can switch Pokemon out later in the competition because I saw this on the rules for the competition "If you register your Pokémon to your member ID during a competition, your Battle Box will be locked and you will not be able to change your Pokémon's moves or held items". Or does this just mean you can't do it while your online mid match? Also, are all online competitions like this?
Your Battle Box will be locked and it won't be when you'll unlock it.

After competition, on Monday, you'll go to Online Competition --> "There isn't online competition at the moment, do you want unlock your battle box?" > yes.

:D

So, I finished my ten matches today, went a healthy 8-2, still a little frustrated for the horrible, horrible hax in the last game (missed 4 Fire Blasts and a Rock Slide that managed to miss all three opposing Pokes), but that's how it is.

I've noticed a distinct lack of M-Gardevoir, I've only played against one. Everything else has been Charizards. Meowstic has been giving me some problems, I knew it was good but didn't prepare for it properly, that's my fault.

Still, I'm going to chalk this up as a good day, considering I've never played triples competitively before today.

Hey guys, I posted a Regigigas giveaway, feel free to get it! I also have some light strategy info, but not a whole articles worth.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zut-zut-zutt-merry-regigigmas-festive-feud-giveaway.3558152/
/Being Babbling

I have no idea how to link people without quoting but THANK YOU SO MUCH THEORYMON that Regigigas saved my ass countless times. In a few battles he ended up being my last Pokemon that wins the game from his sheer bulk and I got him out of Slow Start many times thanks to that. Also, thank you for your guide as I used to steer my way through the feud as people basically used almost everything you said to some degree.

Moving on, I played all 10 matches today I won 9 out of 10 and all of them didn't have any joke teams or disconnected but the first few made some terrible move choices but then again so did I as 60 seconds in a Triple Battle was pressure than I thought as I am used to 60 seconds in Double and Single battles because they are less pokemon to sort through but I did get better towards the end of my winning streak but I still need a ton of work in Triples.

Talonflame probably pulled the second most weight with Tailwind/Brave Bird then in 3rd Scrafty with his Rock Slide which absolutely wrecked Mega Charizard Y as it seems no one saw it coming but one guy but I used feint with Breloom so it worked out. Breloom did wonders with Spore, Mach Punch, and feint. Mega Gardevoir cleaned up pretty nicely and Serperior killed everything that didn't kill it first. Finally, Regigias survived nearly every battle and all the Knock off and Wide Guard support was great but I can't stress how much attacks it ward off from my other Pokemon as people kept trying to kill it but it just won't die. I would probably want to balance the weakness as two of my Pokemon are weak to fire and two are weak to fairy which are the sweepers of the format. And I would want my Scrafty to have a better nature and IVs as right now its Brave with 0 IV in speed which doesn't work as well with Tailwind. I would also want more ways to kill Fire and Fairy types but it seems I am doing just fine without them. But apparently my battle box is locked so I can't change anything.

As for what I saw, just as the person above me said, tons and tons and tons of Mega Charizard-Y so the choice to have Rock Slide on Scrafty with an Assault Vest was the best. Meowstic almost everywhere and he annoying as hell with his freaking Prankster and I wanted to squeeze the life out of him though he was suppose to be on my team originally but I had no time to breed for him. I saw Bisharp a few times but he practically was dead weight on most teams I fought against me. I forgot on multiple occasions that Togekiss was a also a Fairy type which lead to my defeat when it used Dazzling Gleam. I saw opposing M-Gardevior's but I usually killed them before my own came out. I also saw plenty of Talonflame's but I only 1 or 2 people actually used it for Tailwind support or at least didn't slam "A" Talonflame's first turn to outspeed everything they brought out. Surprisingly no Trick Room I saw a few enablers but none of them actually had Trick Room.

And that pretty much summarizes my first day. WHY REGIGIGAS WHY DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE SLOW START! I wish they would lower the required turns to like 1 or 2 instead of 5 because otherwise I can't use him outside of this festive feud and maybe in triples but idk. Q_Q

otherwise I can't use him outside of this festive feud and maybe in triples but idk. Q_Q
It's okay-ish in doubles and normal triples with exactly the same purpose, but the presence of heavy hitters like Kangaskhan and more viable Feint-users greatly reduces its usefulness. For that matter, there are better Wide Guard-users as well.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
After my first day I'm 9-1 just above 1600. Ended up not having time to breed my team so used stuff in my box with different moves geting a relatively similar team. Only 1 out of like 6 Charizards I faced was Y.

Also thank you Theorymon for giving away the Regigigas, it's bulk and T-wave have been very useful so far. (Blizzicane you tag people by typing @ and then their username)

I went 8-2 again on day 2. I saw a ton of smeargle teams today, including one scarfed one with fake out that completely caught me off guard. My other loss was to a 1700's player (on only day 2), which was my probably my most exciting battle, but unfortunately I lost at the very end to sucker punch druddigon. After a rainy day 1, I've now experienced what everyone else with a lot of charizard y's and not a single politoed (sorry about the false warning yesterday). Anyway good luck to everyone the rest of the competition.

So, I finished my ten matches today, went a healthy 8-2, still a little frustrated for the horrible, horrible hax in the last game (missed 4 Fire Blasts and a Rock Slide that managed to miss all three opposing Pokes), but that's how it is.

I've noticed a distinct lack of M-Gardevoir, I've only played against one. Everything else has been Charizards. Meowstic has been giving me some problems, I knew it was good but didn't prepare for it properly, that's my fault.

Still, I'm going to chalk this up as a good day, considering I've never played triples competitively before today.
I've seen a few, but Gardevoir is a bit frail on the defensive side, and with hard physical hitters like Talonflame and Charizard X allowed, I imagine that scared most people away from it as their main threat.

Anyway, I'm about 4 and 1 thus far. I'm having a blast with my team, but I know I won't keep winning since my it severely lacks balance. I'll more than likely play until I hit a bad streak.

If that doesn't happen, I'll keep playing.

Last edited:
I've seen a few, but Gardevoir is a bit frail on the defensive side, and with hard physical hitters like Talonflame and Charizard X allowed, I imagine that scared most people away from it as their main threat.
No doubt, I just thought I'd see more of it, STAB Pixilate Hyper Voice is just too good. I dunno, stroke me as an odd thing.

Shortly after locking the finishing my first day battle quota, I realized Entrainment Lilligant to pass Chlorophyll to Regigigas would have been beautiful, and of course I come up with that idea when there's nothing I can do about it.

Speaking of Regigigas, Theorymon, you are a gentleman and a scholar, Regigigas is a beast, has worked like a charm, but I've nothing else to add to the collective success story everyone else has had with it. Thanks, man.

I'll prolly be going with a trick room team for this, as well. Course, I'm trying a new team build currently, and I also have a Rain team which I've been having some fun with. Started breeding for the TR team, though.
I refuse to go standard/cookie-cutter even with my lack of triples knowledge and experience. >.>

I've been wondering (especially trying some of these "0 IV" strategies, myself)...how do you breed for 0 IVs? If someone is planning on using a 0 Speed IV Porygon2 (or Throh), or a 0 Attack IV Whimsicott...how do you breed for that without nerfing the other stats as well?
Sounds to me like legit breeding for a stat under 5 IVs in a stat would take longer than trying to breed for 6 perfect IVs (along with soft-resetting for the perfect competitive legendary, like Regigigas...which is why I'm probably not going to use it in the actual competition).
Most and Mattapod have TR Dittos and I have loads of TR spitbacks in my giveaway thread, with these catching the 0 speed is no less odds of catching 31 in all your other stats

/Being Babbling

I have no idea how to link people without quoting but THANK YOU SO MUCH THEORYMON that Regigigas saved my ass countless times. In a few battles he ended up being my last Pokemon that wins the game from his sheer bulk and I got him out of Slow Start many times thanks to that. Also, thank you for your guide as I used to steer my way through the feud as people basically used almost everything you said to some degree.

Moving on, I played all 10 matches today I won 9 out of 10 and all of them didn't have any joke teams or disconnected but the first few made some terrible move choices but then again so did I as 60 seconds in a Triple Battle was pressure than I thought as I am used to 60 seconds in Double and Single battles because they are less pokemon to sort through but I did get better towards the end of my winning streak but I still need a ton of work in Triples.

Talonflame probably pulled the second most weight with Tailwind/Brave Bird then in 3rd Scrafty with his Rock Slide which absolutely wrecked Mega Charizard Y as it seems no one saw it coming but one guy but I used feint with Breloom so it worked out. Breloom did wonders with Spore, Mach Punch, and feint. Mega Gardevoir cleaned up pretty nicely and Serperior killed everything that didn't kill it first. Finally, Regigias survived nearly every battle and all the Knock off and Wide Guard support was great but I can't stress how much attacks it ward off from my other Pokemon as people kept trying to kill it but it just won't die. I would probably want to balance the weakness as two of my Pokemon are weak to fire and two are weak to fairy which are the sweepers of the format. And I would want my Scrafty to have a better nature and IVs as right now its Brave with 0 IV in speed which doesn't work as well with Tailwind. I would also want more ways to kill Fire and Fairy types but it seems I am doing just fine without them. But apparently my battle box is locked so I can't change anything.

As for what I saw, just as the person above me said, tons and tons and tons of Mega Charizard-Y so the choice to have Rock Slide on Scrafty with an Assault Vest was the best. Meowstic almost everywhere and he annoying as hell with his freaking Prankster and I wanted to squeeze the life out of him though he was suppose to be on my team originally but I had no time to breed for him. I saw Bisharp a few times but he practically was dead weight on most teams I fought against me. I forgot on multiple occasions that Togekiss was a also a Fairy type which lead to my defeat when it used Dazzling Gleam. I saw opposing M-Gardevior's but I usually killed them before my own came out. I also saw plenty of Talonflame's but I only 1 or 2 people actually used it for Tailwind support or at least didn't slam "A" Talonflame's first turn to outspeed everything they brought out. Surprisingly no Trick Room I saw a few enablers but none of them actually had Trick Room.
And that pretty much summarizes my first day. WHY REGIGIGAS WHY DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE SLOW START! I wish they would lower the required turns to like 1 or 2 instead of 5 because otherwise I can't use him outside of this festive feud and maybe in triples but idk. Q_Q
You could have run a poke with Entrainment and given him a different ability? (smeargle, octillery and I think lilligent run the move)

After going 8-2 on the first day I chose a bad time of day to play today going up against 9 players from japan so am currently on 14-6 prob 3 of those losses where due to my misplay others were my jellicant getting triple teamed so it couldn't set up TR not bad for reasonably gimmick team and I keep coming up against M-Gardevoir teams so with my mega being TTar it's a bit of a slugfest..wish I was getting char-y as much as everyone else as they're easy wins lol!
So far so good tho, i'm running a team of poke I don't use to see how they are as I'm used to the format from maison play so using the tournament to see if any poke im using here would be better then ones im already using!

Last edited:
Currently 8-4 which is a brilliant record which I am very happy with considering everything. I didnt have the chance to test my team and there's a lot of theorymonning involved. I'm a little weak to Trick Room but have only seen one team that built around it. Gardevoir is everywhere (both forms) but I handle it really well primarily thanks to Scizor and Regi.

The surprise has been Acrobatics Eject Button Jolly Tornadus. While it hasn't stuck around long or done much. Acrobatics does a ton of damage when it's actually needed even if that's just a crucial one hit. I don't know if I would use it again though but with Prankster it usually gets a Tailwind and Taunt away which is always useful for what is largely a not-totally-fast team.

What I'm really happy with thus far is the combinations. Wide Guard from Regi, Quick Guard from Scizor, Reflect from bulky Serp, Priority Taunt from Tornadus and Gale Wings Tailwind from Talonflame. If a team was to focus on Regi and then hit hard with spread attacks (especially Rock Slide) then it would be a really tough fight. Luckily anything close has been taken out.

The really funny thing was that when I was trying to get back into the swing of things on the ladder, I was 0-9. I couldn't buy a win.

Currently 8-4 which is a brilliant record which I am very happy with considering everything. I didnt have the chance to test my team and there's a lot of theorymonning involved. I'm a little weak to Trick Room but have only seen one team that built around it. Gardevoir is everywhere (both forms) but I handle it really well primarily thanks to Scizor and Regi.

The surprise has been Acrobatics Eject Button Jolly Tornadus. While it hasn't stuck around long or done much. Acrobatics does a ton of damage when it's actually needed even if that's just a crucial one hit. I don't know if I would use it again though but with Prankster it usually gets a Tailwind and Taunt away which is always useful for what is largely a not-totally-fast team.

What I'm really happy with thus far is the combinations. Wide Guard from Regi, Quick Guard from Scizor, Reflect from bulky Serp, Priority Taunt from Tornadus and Gale Wings Tailwind from Talonflame. If a team was to focus on Regi and then hit hard with spread attacks (especially Rock Slide) then it would be a really tough fight. Luckily anything close has been taken out.

The really funny thing was that when I was trying to get back into the swing of things on the ladder, I was 0-9. I couldn't buy a win.
Pretty much the same for me. I don't want to jinx it, but this might be one of the best starts I've ever gotten off too in these things. Finger's crossed that it last.

And is it just me, or am I seeing loads of DC's upon the final knockout? I've gotten like 5 at least already.

Edit: And how many games is thing again? They're letting me play past my 20th game today. It seems like they're never clear on this since I saw the first post about records on Thursday night my time.

Last edited:
I've made a few mistakes and have gone 4-3 today, and I saw two pledge teams which were surprisingly good. It's nice to see a competition with several viable strategies. But now, just like the last competition I am unable to continue because "An error has occurred on the Pokemon Global Link server. Please try again" (trying again doesn't help). It is kind of ridiculous that this is happening for the 2nd competition in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)