Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Sorry to keep asking lmgtfy-tier questions, but I like to get it from y'all over other places on the internet:

1) Is the gender-specific color of the OT's name preserved in the transition from Crystal version to later games? It's not clear to me if there is any longer any gendered color in the trainer's name at all like there used to be (reddish for female, blue for male), anyway, but if there is I don't want to choose a feminine name if the game defaults to masculine, even if I doubt this is the case. The latest I've played is Gen 8's Pokémon Sword, and I don't see a gender color.

2) Is it as simple as beating the Champion and going back to the NPC in the forest (Kurt?) to get the item that triggers the Celebi encounter? This will be almost the only reason I'd play Gen 2 again.

EDIT: Also, it's too bad restore points aren't supported in the game. It would have made the incredible slog of aiming for shiny Celebi (if I go that far) much less difficult.

Sorry to keep asking lmgtfy-tier questions, but I like to get it from y'all over other places on the internet:

1) Is the gender-specific color of the OT's name preserved in the transition from Crystal version to later games? It's not clear to me if there is any longer any gendered color in the trainer's name at all like there used to be (reddish for female, blue for male), anyway, but if there is I don't want to choose a feminine name if the game defaults to masculine, even if I doubt this is the case. The latest I've played is Gen 8's Pokémon Sword, and I don't see a gender color.

2) Is it as simple as beating the Champion and going back to the NPC in the forest (Kurt?) to get the item that triggers the Celebi encounter? This will be almost the only reason I'd play Gen 2 again.

EDIT: Also, it's too bad restore points aren't supported in the game. It would have made the incredible slog of aiming for shiny Celebi (if I go that far) much less difficult.
I believe colors were chucked out entirely for OT names yeah

After beating the Champion you have to go into the Goldenrod Pokemon Center to pick up the GS Ball, then go to Kurt in Azalea to initiate it proper

The gender is still remembered internally but it is no longer shown on the summary screen since gen 6.

In today's crossword on Serebii, one of the hints is "It requires you to win Raid Battles to evolve".

Even with the answer, I don't understand why. Can someone explain?

Galarian Yamask

Link if you want to play: http://advent.serebii.net/01/crossword.shtml
From what a quick google search provided, they're referring to the Pokemon Go variant.
Requires you to win 10 raids with it while buddied before it will evolve.

In today's crossword on Serebii, one of the hints is "It requires you to win Raid Battles to evolve".

Even with the answer, I don't understand why. Can someone explain?

Galarian Yamask

Link if you want to play: http://advent.serebii.net/01/crossword.shtml
If you want to evolve it in Pokémon Go (the only current gen game where it is available), you need to win 10 raid battles while having it as your buddy.

Edit: ninja'd by a second

I don't know how that happens but I ev trained my mudkip in Platinum and several times when I train a pokemon, some EVs seem to be missing or stored somewhere else? I don't know how to describe it but I wanted to train it on 252 atk, 240 HP and 16 in Speed. I was certain I gave all the vitamins where they belong, then made it get Pokerus and started grinding to get 6 evs in speed, 140 in hp and when I went to train for atk, I grinded more than I needed to. Yet, Atk evs are missing.
I kept track on how many moves I used and it still doesn't add up. I checked if the atk evs are really 31? And before training I made sure if got Protein maxed out... What is going on?

It is not the first time this happened. It also happened with some other Pokemon I trained in the past. I thought I made some error. I just checked if the atk ivs are 31 and the judge in the game stats it is. So I do not get why I cannot max out the evs? No evs are given to other stats. I cannot have given it more evs than needed either because the hp and speed evs are correct. And if there were an error, one of those stats would be wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

Edit: Solved. Apparently I suck at math. My mind forgot to count times 2 for the Pokerus when beating up 3 Floatzal. 10 + 3 * 2 was in my mind instead of 10 + 3 * 2 * 2.

Last edited:
What are some good suggestions for a nature for the Lugia from XD: Gale of Darkness? It probably won't ever be used much in battle, but to make the best trophy of it I can, I'd like to have the best general nature I can get.

EDIT: Also: Are Lugia, Houndour, and some other Shadow Pokémon not RNG-able in XD: GoD? No version of PokeFinder I've seen carries an option for those Pokémon when I search for spreads.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
What are some good suggestions for a nature for the Lugia from XD: Gale of Darkness? It probably won't ever be used much in battle, but to make the best trophy of it I can, I'd like to have the best general nature I can get.
Timid or Modest would fit with that particular Lugia having offensive options in Psycho Boost and Hydro Pump, but equally Lugia's stat spread fits a more defensive nature like Calm or Bold too. I've never actually tried for a specific nature with XD's Lugia but personally I like Modest for this one (base 110 speed is fast enough to not need the nature boost so badly, and Modest lends itself to a Calm Mind set or something).

EDIT: Also: Are Lugia, Houndour, and some other Shadow Pokémon not RNG-able in XD: GoD? No version of PokeFinder I've seen carries an option for those Pokémon when I search for spreads.
Lugia can be RNG'd, it's just difficult and protracted; you'd have to catch it then lose the subsequent fight to Greevil. Not sure why Houndour has that result but IIRC Houndour is perfectly possible to RNG for since you snag it from Resix in a normal fight. I've caught it Timid before (not with perfect IVs): this thread goes into some detail about it but someone mentions having caught a good one, albeit via emulator.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonrng/comments/fv6j2t

Last edited:
Timid or Modest would fit with that particular Lugia having offensive options in Psycho Boost and Hydro Pump, but equally Lugia's stat spread fits a more defensive nature like Calm or Bold too. I've never actually tried for a specific nature with XD's Lugia but personally I like Modest for this one (base 110 speed is fast enough to not need the nature boost so badly, and Modest lends itself to a Calm Mind set or something).

Lugia can be RNG'd, it's just difficult and protracted; you'd have to catch it then lose the subsequent fight to Greevil. Not sure why Houndour has that result but IIRC Houndour is perfectly possible to RNG for since you snag it from Resix in a normal fight. I've caught it Timid before (not with perfect IVs): this thread goes into some detail about it but someone mentions having caught a good one, albeit via emulator.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonrng/comments/fv6j2t
Thanks, I think Modest is a fine choice. I was resistant to it at first for some reason, just thinking of Bold or Timid, but now that I see in print, Modest sounds great.

I'm using an emulator, so Lugia shouldn't be very hard to catch, but I'll have to faint it and defeat Greevil because I want to catch it in a Dive Ball (as it is the Diving Pokémon). But with the script I use, I can see Lugia's IVs and nature when battle begins, so it's just a matter of weakening it down, making a save state, and throwing the one Dive Ball I'll have about 200 times.

But anyway, somebody told me Lugia wasn't a shadow-locked Pokémon like I assumed. So I guess I will choose the XD/Colo option instead of the XD option in PokéFinder.

QuentinQuonce

Thanks, I think Modest is a fine choice. I was resistant to it at first for some reason, just thinking of Bold or Timid, but now that I see in print, Modest sounds great.

I'm using an emulator, so Lugia shouldn't be very hard to catch, but I'll have to faint it and defeat Greevil because I want to catch it in a Dive Ball (as it is the Diving Pokémon). But with the script I use, I can see Lugia's IVs and nature when battle begins, so it's just a matter of weakening it down, making a save state, and throwing the one Dive Ball I'll have about 200 times.
Ugh, why do I not emulate, this sounds wonderful

I did a run of Colosseum a few years ago where I caught the vast majority of Pokemon in that game with optimal natures (I wasn't too fussed about IVs) so I could have a set of all of that game's Pokemon largely untouched if I ever wanted to use them for any reason... been meaning to do the same thing with XD at some point, but it feels pointless if I'm not doing it the way you describe.

Ugh, why do I not emulate, this sounds wonderful

I did a run of Colosseum a few years ago where I caught the vast majority of Pokemon in that game with optimal natures (I wasn't too fussed about IVs) so I could have a set of all of that game's Pokemon largely untouched if I ever wanted to use them for any reason... been meaning to do the same thing with XD at some point, but it feels pointless if I'm not doing it the way you describe.
I haven't felt any moral qualm about emulating and using scripts since I began doing that with some games some time ago. Like cloning, it's something that has been supposed by some players to water down the Pokémon experience but that in my case actually enriches it so much so that it may be the difference between me playing and not playing. If it's not your thing, don't press yourself into doing it. Just don't be afraid based on somebody else's principles.

With that said, my experience with emulating Emerald twelve years ago was that getting the file to a flash cart (or whatever item it was) in order to trade it into retail Gen 3 cartridges was not as easy as people made it sound, and the whole process ultimately never worked. Maybe when I do it within the next few months it will be easier than it was back then. Maybe.

QuentinQuonce

I haven't felt any moral qualm about emulating and using scripts since I began doing that with some games some time ago. Like cloning, it's something that has been supposed by some players to water down the Pokémon experience but that in my case actually enriches it so much so that it may be the difference between me playing and not playing. If it's not your thing, don't press yourself into doing it. Just don't be afraid based on somebody else's principles.

With that said, my experience with emulating Emerald twelve years ago was that getting the file to a flash cart (or whatever item it was) in order to trade it into retail Gen 3 cartridges was not as easy as people made it sound, and the whole process ultimately never worked. Maybe when I do it within the next few months it will be easier than it was back then. Maybe.
Oh I'm completely the same. If people want to clone, by all means: I've cloned pretty much all of my Pokemon in games where that's possible. Just spreads the fun around as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for emulating though personally I wouldn't know where to begin, having only dabbled in it once or twice.

This forum needs some sort of blog function (if it doesn't already and I've just been unaware of it this entire time) so I can entertain you all with the story of when someone once spent their evening sending me and a friend death threats as a result of me having cloned a Ho-Oh. True story.

Oh I'm completely the same. If people want to clone, by all means: I've cloned pretty much all of my Pokemon in games where that's possible. Just spreads the fun around as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for emulating though personally I wouldn't know where to begin, having only dabbled in it once or twice.

This forum needs some sort of blog function (if it doesn't already and I've just been unaware of it this entire time) so I can entertain you all with the story of when someone once spent their evening sending me and a friend death threats as a result of me having cloned a Ho-Oh. True story.
I want this story regardless of blog function

I want this story regardless of blog function
Yes. Me too.

What got me to include cloning when I said what I said was a notification on Reddit that a moderator from a certain community had to step down and dismiss himself from that community, because it became known that recent he had traded someone else's Pokémon that turned out to have been cloned; the other mods concluded he would have been permabanned if he hadn't first stepped down.

That seems quite severe to me even by the rule that "cloning is unacceptable." The things I've seen get by on GameFAQs without a permaban have been quite a bit worse than that.

It wouldn't bother me as much if this was a fringe group, but it has a huge following evidently, and users were applauding the move by the mods to ban this activity.

Last edited:
Who was it that made a post on how to win easily at the Porto Marinada Auction? I don’t remember what the trick was and i can’t find the post again to check what it was

Who was it that made a post on how to win easily at the Porto Marinada Auction? I don’t remember what the trick was and i can’t find the post again to check what it was
You may be thinking about my post about spamming the legendary item auctions. The only reasons those are particularly gameable is that the price you have to pay depends on if there is a rich NPC present or not, and those are the only auctions that you can back out from that can be immediately replayed.

Does anybody here have experience linking a Pokémon game (like XD) on Dolphin to an Emerald or other game on VBA-RR or mGBA? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.

I'd prefer to link to VBA because that's what my file is on, and because I'm having difficulty making the save file I try to transfer to mGBA actually save permanently there. (I can get the save file to mGBA, but when I save and restart the game, it has disappeared.)

Does anybody here have experience linking a Pokémon game (like XD) on Dolphin to an Emerald or other game on VBA-RR or mGBA? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.

I'd prefer to link to VBA because that's what my file is on, and because I'm having difficulty making the save file I try to transfer to mGBA actually save permanently there. (I can get the save file to mGBA, but when I save and restart the game, it has disappeared.)
Dolphin has direct integration with a built-in version of mGBA. https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/07/21/integrated-gba/
Here's a wiki guide on how to activate it: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Integrated_GBA
I haven't used it personally but they seem to show off all the relevant multiplayer features as examples in the article (and stuff like the Bonus Disc).

Dolphin has direct integration with a built-in version of mGBA. https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/07/21/integrated-gba/
Here's a wiki guide on how to activate it: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Integrated_GBA
I haven't used it personally but they seem to show off all the relevant multiplayer features as examples in the article (and stuff like the Bonus Disc).
Thanks! I knew a bit about the integrated mGBA but not all the details. I have the Lua Core version of Dolphin, which seems not to have mGBA in it, so I'll need to open my old Dolphin Pokémon XD save on a new Dolphin version.

I'll also need to open my VBA-RR save in that mGBA, but every time I've tried to do it, it doesn't really save. Any tips for how to transfer a save to another emulator without it just resetting as soon as the game is turned off?

Thanks! I knew a bit about the integrated mGBA but not all the details. I have the Lua Core version of Dolphin, which seems not to have mGBA in it, so I'll need to open my old Dolphin Pokémon XD save on a new Dolphin version.

I'll also need to open my VBA-RR save in that mGBA, but every time I've tried to do it, it doesn't really save. Any tips for how to transfer a save to another emulator without it just resetting as soon as the game is turned off?
I haven't used VBA in a while but I thought the sav files would be compatible naturally. Otherwise I would suggest exporting the save as a Gameshark snapshot as a middleman and importing that into mGBA, then doing a manual save to have a sav file.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)