Resource ORAS Creative & Underrated Sets v4 (REPLAYS REQUIRED!!!)

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Roost

I'd like to preface this post by saying that this set is not a meme. It pretty much functions as a normal spdef Skarmory would, but SD serves two key functions that enables Skarm to do things it otherwise couldn't. Firstly, and the reason why I came up with this set in the first place, is to better check/counter defensive pokemon like Clefable, Gliscor, and Venusaur. Normal spdef iron head Skarm may "wall" the aforementioned pokemon, but it can't actually kill them. With SD, Skarm can easily boost up and threaten to ohko or 2hko these defensive pokemon. The second role that SD enables is that of a breaker (yes... a breaker) vs slower teams, and sort of vs offensive teams as well. Flying stab is pretty damn good, and with a strong move like brave bird, Skarm can actually threaten quite a lot. For example, if Skarm sd's vs a Lando-T, then a team of Jirachi/Latios/Keldeo/Weavile/Gardevoir can't really switch in that well. For more bulkier teams, even stuff like Starmie and Talonflame (usual Skarm switchins) take upwards of 80 from a +2 brave bird. Brave bird is key for Skarmory's raw breaking ability, but iron head is still crucial to check the things it normally checks like Clefable, Diancie, Gardevoir, and even to an extent Tyranitar. As for EVs, SD only really makes sense with a spdef set, and the speed can honestly be however much you want to creep. The above evs outspeed 0 speed M-Sciz, but you can creep other Skarms as much as you want.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-413739148 (Turns: 69, 91, 111)
http://jskingboo.github.io/showdown/replays/OU-2016-10-06-abr-idmtubby.html (Turns: 1205, 1217, 1254)

Endeavor Diancie

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Endeavor
- Protect / Substitute

Endeavor Diancie basically breaks fat stuff, especially Chansey, since Diancie has low HP + high defenses. Obliviate suggested Substitute on this set over Protect, and although that makes getting off your Mega harder, it allows you to set up Subs on Pokemon Diancie forces out, and Sub + Endeavor also has synergy, by lowering Diancie's HP and having a shield for atks. The replays below are to give a better idea of what this set can do:

Now that ORAS comes to an end I wanted to share some of my favorite sets I've used/invented throughout this gen. Enjoy!

SubNP regular Hoopa

Hoopa @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I cannot believe how people have slept on this monster the whole generation! :o It's more versatile than people think and while I think a bulky SubNP sweeper is the best set it can also pull off more offensive sets like Choice Scarf/Specs or Life Orb, SubSalac or even offensive Trick Room.
This set makes use of Hoopa's huge sp.def. and thus invests many EVs in its bulk so moves like +0 Moonblast by Clefable, Volt Switch by Rotom some, weaker Scalds by bulky Waters (Slowbro, +0 Manaphy, Suicune) and many other moves don't break its sub and it can proceed to setup.
The most obvious comparison one can make to Hoopa in OU is Gengar but the thing about Hoopa is that it can take some strong attacks like LO Starmie's Hydro Pump or LO Thundurus's +2 Thunderbolt if needed and it has access to one of the best Setup moves to exist so it can actually afford to use Lefties instead of Life Orb to increase its longevity and power.
Taunt+3 attacks Gengar gets Life Orb stalled by smart switching and Sandstorm possibly, it also can get trapped by Scarftar/Weavile after having killed a 'mon (this applies to basically every Gengar variant without Sub)
Sub+3 attacks Gengar gets completely walled by Chansey and outstalled by sp.def. Zapdos
Taunt+Pain Split+double STAB Gengar beats Tele stall but has to forgo Focus Blast leaving it completely walled by Dark types (and trappable)
SubSplit Gengar with Focus Blast + STAB fails to break mixed def Clef if it runs Shadow Ball and using Sludge Wave on the 4th slot is not recommended because STAB Shadow Ball is the reason why Gengar is threatening in the first place, you can't hit Landorus for neutral damage and are walled by Sableye for example.
As you can see, in all of these scenarios Hoopa just performs better.

Chople TWave Magnezone

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Natur
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Old but gold. This set had its birth hour during last year's OLT's final cycles and has been the set I use on Magnezone by default since then. Contrary to what many people believe, it's not supposed to be your dedicated M-Zam/M-Garde check, its purpose is to not turn itself into setup bait for stuff like Zard-X, BD Azu and others. It also serves as a threat on its own and not as some sort of "hit or miss" supporting 'mon which is useless in matches where your opponent doesn't have a Sciz/Ferro/Skarm (at least that has been the understanding of Magnezone's role in OU back then). Chople Berry lets you fake the choiced item and cripple setup 'mons via Thunder Wave or severely damage them with your coverage moves (what most people didn't get was that Seel/Fire/Electric is a great combination (I can tell you by being a silent reader of the VR thread) only leaving you 100% walled by Gastro, Chansey and sp.def. Gliscor.
Secindary merit of the berry is to act as an emergency to 'mons carrying fighting type moves which would usually OHKO Zone e.g. M-Garde, (M-)Alakazam, M-Lopunny, Keldeo, non CB Terrakion, fast Superpower M-Scizor, LO Tornadus (Chople Zone tanks Hurricane + Superpower), Superpower Tyranitar & Dragonite, Mach Punch Breloom and Mega-Heracross.
While I do think Chople is the best item to use on Magnezone other items other than Choice Scarf/Specs are great too, like Assault Vest (shoutouts njnp) or Occa Berry alongside Mirror Coat to check Serperior (made by Cicada and FlamingVictini). :D

SubCM Cobalion

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

- Flash Cannon

I know FV already popularized this but I wanted to post this too because it's still kinda underrated and deserves more attention. :P
Basically, I wanted something that can abuse the drastic rise on usage of Amoonguss, RH Tangrowth, Weavile, Tyranitar, M-Scizor, Rotom-W and others. Scrolling through the list of fighting types I noticed I wanted to use Cobalion again after it has fallen from grace after the transition from XY to ORAS. SubCM is amazing because it sets up on so many 'mons and dedicated fighting type checks like Amoonguss and RH Tang don't break its sub.
As we all know from Lucario Steel/Fighting is very threatening because Steel type checks are not designed to check Fighting too (and if they are, they can't break the sub, as already mentioned), for example Clefable, Landorus, Heatran, Keldeo, Skarmory which can't switch into special attacking Cobalion.
Even though it's special defense base is not exactly overwhelming certain moves won't break your sub at +1 ( HP Fire Amoonguss, Volt Switch Rotom, Scald Suicune, defensive Scald Starmie 50% of the time, Lefties Leaf Storm Serperior) or +2 (Moonblast Clefable, Scald Manaphy, Thunderbolt M-Latias). While it performs best vs Bulky Offense its matchup vs Offense and Stall is not bad at all. It is able to check offensive 'mons like Weavile, Bisharp, Kyurem and Tyranitar; and opposing stall, let's take ABR's Weavile stall for example, only has Quagsire which walls Cobalion 1on1 (it can't switch into Focus Blast as it 2hko's), the best bet this stall team has to beat SubCM Cobalion is making it run out of Focus Blast PP (by switching around Quagsire and Sableye for instance, or spamming Recover with Quagsire) or hoping for Focus Blast to miss, an aggressively played Cobalion is still able to win though (example).
The only downside about using Cobalion is that it takes up your Steel slot which is usually your Diancie/Latios check and Cobalion can't switch into either of those. That means that you are restricted in your teambuilding. Also, Slowbro/Zapdos completely wall this set so make sure you have something that weakens both via Knock Off or Toxic/Burn.

Roar / Psycho Shift M-Latias

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind / Reflect Type / Psycho Shift
- Stored Power / Psywave
- Roar

Basically set up hazards and spam Roar, pretty basic but effective considering that most M-Latias checks are weak to spikes and don’t have reliable recovery (Jirachi, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Heatran, M-Metagross etc).
Roar also lets you check Vincune (which got crazy popular lately), CM Slowbro and if you run CM in the second slot you can also beat TWave-less Clefable.
Psycho Shift is also an interesting tech I’ve discovered when scrolling through its movepool, it comes in handy in so many matches because you can absorb burns/toxics from Scald Keldeo, Slowbro, Suicune; Wisp Rotom or Toxic Heatran and transfer it to another ’mon like Tyranitar or M-Scizor which would otherwise beat you.
Only use Psywave if you don’t run CM to deal consistent damage to Steels like Heatran/Sciz.
me vs Mix (friendly)
me vs AM (friendly)
me vs Vinc2612 (some OU tour)
me vs Finchinator (friendly)

RestTalk DD M-Gyarados

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch / Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Bulky RestTalk setup is nothing new, in fact this set is inspired by AM’s RestTalk / CM / Moonblast Clefable. Its sky high special defense and typing pre/after mega-evolving allows it to setup against several 'mons like non-Electric-move Clefable, Rotom-Wash, Latias, Keldeo, Slowbro, M-Sableye and Manaphy most notably. I prefer mono-Dark-attacking Gyarados because you don't get 100% walled by Ferrothorn and can get off higher damage against Manaphy and other waters which it is supposed to setup on. Mono Water is not bad at all though because Mold Breaker ignores Water Absorb. Thanks to Mold Breaker it is also able to break standard stall teams which rely on Quagsire/Clear Smog Amoonguss to beat Gyarados although you have to PP stall the latter and watch out for Counter Skarmory.
me vs Reymedy (Hoopa-U suspect tour)
me vs Mob Barley (friendly)
me vs AM (friendly)

AV Future Sight + Dragon Tail Slowking

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 192 SpA / 8 SpD / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Dragon Tail

- Psychic / Fire Blast

I usually prefer Slowbro over Slowking in this Tyranitar/Weavile infested metagame but there are 2 roles in which Slowking usually performs better than Slowbro--offensive tank with Assault Vest because it has an amazing special defense stat without investment and can afford to use an offensive spread and offensive/defensive Nasty Plot variants because Slowbro doesn't learn this move.
So this set utilizes Slowking's special bulk by using AV and two moves rarely seen on Slowking, namely Future Sight and Dragon Tail. Phasing move + Future Sight is a rare combination which can only be used by Slowking (Sigilyph and Grumpig too but the latter is unviable and the former has better sets if you consider to use it). Basically use Future Sight and phaze out your opponent's Psychic check by using Dragon Tail 2 turns after, and if you are lucky you can severely weaken or even OHKO the mon which randomly comes in (e.g.: use Future Sight, Dragon Tail on Latios and in comes Keldeo which dies to Future Sight). Spread lets you live ScarfTar Crunch from full + Sand damage and outspeed other base 30s (Amoonguss, Reuni, Slowbro).
This set also roughly checks the same stuff regular Slowking does like Keldeo, Heatran, Latios (although a bit more unreliable due to the lack of Slack-Off-recovery) and Manaphy, Reuniclus. You get walled by Clefable using this set so make sure your team can beat that.
me vs Gypsy (ladder)
me vs Ham (ladder)

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpD / 32 Spe
Gentle Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Body Slam / Foul Play / Hidden Power Fire
- Sludge Bomb

A lot of slower teams utilize Amoonguss as their main Water check but regular Amoonguss can't switch into TG Manaphy so this is a desperate attemp to not straight out lose to it. It lives +3 Ice Beam followed by +0 Ice Beam and obviously Clear Smog + Giga Drain isn't enough to OHKO Manaphy but it puts it into OHKO range of other moves like max attack Diancie Diamond Storm, LO Chomp EQ and others. One could argue that AV Tangrowth is better but a) Amoonguss is bulkier on the special side allowing it to take moves Tangrowth could not like LO Torn Hurricane or Timid Zardy Fire Blast if need be and b) Poison type alongside Clear Smog + Sludge Bomb lets it hard check Clefable and Breloom (although LO Superpower does a lot of damage because you don't have any def investment).
Body Slam, while it sounds really gimmicky, is supposed to para Torn / Clef / Zard etc. so you can still induce status even though you don't run Spore / Stun Spore. Foul Play and HP Fire are fine options too.
me vs Ban Manaphy (friendly)
me vs HQuaze (Smogon Tour)

Hope you liked it and sorry for any language errors!

edit: Also, SubEndeavor Diancie is a beast.

Last edited:
The moveset will be
- Wil-o-wisp
For burning one of his counter tath are pysicall attackerhow landorus and tyranitar scarf and mega and to make residual damage.
- Quiver dance
To rise the special attack special defense and speed, the special defenseto endure special attacks, the special attack to kill pokes swipe the team and the speed to attack faster.
-Roost
Roost to restore life
-Flamethrower/bug buzz
Here you can choose between flamethrower or bugg buzz
Item: Leftovers
To restore life residually because its better choice
Ability: Flame body
You have the 30% of possibilities to burn that is a very good choice if you know they would attack phisically
Evs
252 HP
132 def.e
124 def
bold
Those evs makes it endure a stone edge of garchomp,excadrillor landorus-t scarf if they are burned
keldeo specs only damage with scald 88.2 - 104.2% and kills with hydro pump it endures a draco meteor of a latios lifeorb 62.5 - 74%
Counters
Keldeo specs with hydro pump
M-tyranitar with stone edge
Stealth Rock becouse they damage it a 50%
Teams opcions
Defooger or spinner
to clean the rocks
A water,grass or fight type Pokemon to kill rock types
How M-medichamp, keldeo and breloom
Breloom
could be a perfect paryner becase its a grass fight Pokémonand it has priority with mach punch to kill rock pokemon.
Usage tips
it cloud be as a sweeper becase flamethower and quiver dance or as a deffensive.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-464201532
its team troll
The moveset will be
- Wil-o-wisp
For burning one of his counter tath are pysicall attackerhow landorus and tyranitar scarf and mega and to make residual damage.
- Quiver dance
To rise the special attack special defense and speed, the special defenseto endure special attacks, the special attack to kill pokes swipe the team and the speed to attack faster.
-Roost
Roost to restore life
-Flamethrower/bug buzz
Here you can choose between flamethrower or bugg buzz
Item: Leftovers
To restore life residually because its better choice
Ability: Flame body
You have the 30% of possibilities to burn that is a very good choice if you know they would attack phisically
Evs
252 HP
132 def.e
124 def
bold
Those evs makes it endure a stone edge of garchomp,excadrillor landorus-t scarf if they are burned
keldeo specs only damage with scald 88.2 - 104.2% and kills with hydro pump it endures a draco meteor of a latios lifeorb 62.5 - 74%
Counters
Keldeo specs with hydro pump
M-tyranitar with stone edge
Stealth Rock becouse they damage it a 50%
Teams opcions
Defooger or spinner
to clean the rocks
A water,grass or fight type Pokemon to kill rock types
How M-medichamp, keldeo and breloom
Breloom
could be a perfect paryner becase its a grass fight Pokémonand it has priority with mach punch to kill rock pokemon.
Usage tips
it cloud be as a sweeper becase flamethower and quiver dance or as a deffensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)