Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An offensive core I've been playing with success:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Substitute / Roost

Talonflame @ Shell Bell / Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I think this core is pretty basic. M-Altaria hate stuff like Ferro, Skarmory, Scizor, M-Venus, Amoonguss, Gengar. Which all is either "fixed" or set-up fodder for the mighty phoenix. Talonflame himself hates Heatran and Rotom-W, which M-Altaria can set up on or bop.
On M-Altaria: Return is a powerful stab that is used the majority of the time, and for a good reason. STAB+Pixilate boosted Return hits like a truck with a total of 195,65 BP! Earthquake is just for steel/poison/fire-types that eats up the Return. Dragon Dance is to make the bop bigger. And Sub is used for easier time setting up on pokémon that is relying on status like Rotom-W, non-Jolly Breloom, M-Sableye, Gliscor (to an extant), Alomomola and many other pokémon that isn't mentioned. It also prevent M-Alt from being revenge killed, which is really nice! Roost can be used to recover back the damage M-Alt has taken, but lives it really vurnable to incoming attacks. The set is to outspeed neutral natured base 70 at +0, Torn-T at +1, and everything but stuff like Sand Rush/ Swift Swimmers and Scarf base 110s like Latios at +2.
On Talonflame: BB and Flare Blitz is for damage, Swords Dance for increasing the Atk to scary levels. Roost is to heal of damage taken. The Spe Evs makes Talonflame outspeed Max Spe Raikou so u can bop it /w Flare Blitz, and to outspeed all Talonflame except max Spe Jolly variants. Shell Bell and Lefties for passive recovery. LO can be used for extra firepower, but the recoil isn't that nice.
Threats to the core is bulky Lando-T, Scarfed Tyranitar locked into Stone Edge, AB Heatran, Unaware users, faster opposing Talonflame. If M-Alt is unboosted, M-Diancie giggle at them both. Neither of them likes to switch into moves, M-Altaria doesn't have recovery (if running sub), and Talonflame is just kind of frail. So a Voltturn core fits really well together with this one. LO Gengar fits pretty well in by checking Clefable and M-Diancie. (Healing) Wish support is great as always for pokémon without recovery, Latias fits this role nice as it can defog hazards as well.
You have to be careful with SR and Hippodown who can wall both, so Starmie can be added on this core , I tried this core in a few team, the SR weakness is huge and you really need to keep your defogger/spinner for this core work well, Keldeo can beat Hippodown and has not SR weakness so he is very good to complete this core too.

Last edited:
You have to be careful with SR and Hippodown who can wall both, so Starmie can be added on this core , I tried this core in a few team, the SR weakness is huge and you really need to keep your defogger/spinner for this core work well, Keldeo can beat Hippodown and has not SR weakness so he is very good to complete this core too.
I'm aware of the SR, but didn't post it 'cause of almost all teams needs a hazard remover anyway, especially those w/ a 4x weakness. I haven't yet run into any Hippos, but that may be a threat yes. Thx for pointing those things out.

It works better w/ ninetails, but I also like growth Venusaur. It suddenly becomes this monster that just rips stuff apart after 1 boost
erm ninetails should never be used...At all.. its badly outclassed by zard-y and its really not good. Ive used zard-y+venu before and venu really shouldent boost at all. Just hit hard and get out when suns up.

Edit: could be just me but the dual weather core seems better then this. Might be just better to edit the dual weather post and mention venu (mostly as venu fits on it)

Last edited:

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
Offensive Core (hell even balance)
Bisharp+Landorus

(on mobile, no sprites ;n;)

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

This is a core that is a kind of 50/50 sort of working, but it works well when its built right, the basis of the team to cover these 2's weaknesses, landorus covering bisharp's, and vice versa, these two are severely countered by Keldeo, so thats something you have to think about. using Landorus-I as a lead is really very risky since its running no defense or anything to take hits, bisharp is used to ward away leads that landorus hates, like using bisharp to shoo away mamoswine, even the rare SR clefable. bisharp also acts as a starmie counter, running sucker punch and knock off, it shoos away the lead version, for other leads it 2hkos 196 Defense ferrothorn with low kick, and if you had some defiant boost its a 1hko. this core also bops bisharp, gothitelle, and magnezone because of landorus's coverage moves and bisharps 4 moves. landorus runs focus sash because it doesn't mamoswine or HP ice landorus-T, who bop it like crazy.

Last edited:
Offensive Core (hell even balance)
Bisharp+Landorus

(added the sprites for you)

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

This is a core that is a kind of 50/50 sort of working, but it works well when its built right, the basis of the team to cover these 2's weaknesses, landorus covering bisharp's, and vice versa, these two are severely countered by Keldeo, so thats something you have to think about. using Landorus-I as a lead is really very risky since its running no defense or anything to take hits, bisharp is used to ward away leads that landorus hates, like using bisharp to shoo away mamoswine, even the rare SR clefable. bisharp also acts as a starmie counter, running sucker punch and knock off, it shoos away the lead version, for other leads it 2hkos 196 Defense ferrothorn with low kick, and if you had some defiant boost its a 1hko. this core also bops bisharp, gothitelle, and magnezone because of landorus's coverage moves and bisharps 4 moves. landorus runs focus sash because it doesn't mamoswine or HP ice landorus-T, who bop it like crazy.
ok first off you icon hurts my eyes stop
I like this core, just not the movesets. The main appeal of running landorus with bisharp is that its able to pursuit the psychics that otherwise check/counter it (lati@s, celebi, cresselia) so landorus has an easier time punching holes in the rest of the team.
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Since most fairies are beaten by bisharp anyways, Lando now has focus blast to get rid of ferros and hits skarmory for a lot.

I'd also recommending running this with a keldeo check, because these two mons are hella weak to it. I'd recommend like, a starmie or a latios.
Hope this was something!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like this core, just not the movesets. The main appeal of running landorus with bisharp is that its able to pursuit the psychics that otherwise check/counter it (lati@s, celebi, cresselia) so landorus has an easier time punching holes in the rest of the team.
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Since most fairies are beaten by bisharp anyways, Lando now has focus blast to get rid of ferros and hits skarmory for a lot.

I'd also recommending running this with a keldeo check, because these two mons are hella weak to it. I'd recommend like, a starmie or a latios.
Hope this was something!
I don't think you need an HP IV of 29 on Bisharp if running Blackglasses, and you might want to consider an Assault Vest mention if you want to Pursuit Trap the Latis a bit more consistently.

Also I find the last paragraph to be hilariously ironic because Keldeo is a great partner to these 2.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah it's a strange phenomenon but often times a pokemon that counters another pokemon or a core works great with them too.

BTW I agree with OverlordDerp about non-obvious EV spreads. boltsandbombers actually said something pretty similar a few pages back:

When posting cores, please try to include an explanation of any ev spreads that deviate from 252 / 252 spreads.
Maybe this should be in the first post? Just a thought.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Uh boltsandbombers asked my opinion about the char-y venu core since I guess some people didnt agree with it? It's fine people use it all the time since ox put his rmt so let's not act like it doesnt exist lol. Put it under the weather cores section when that's up if it already isn't.

I don't think you need an HP IV of 29 on Bisharp if running Blackglasses, and you might want to consider an Assault Vest mention if you want to Pursuit Trap the Latis a bit more consistently.

Also I find the last paragraph to be hilariously ironic because Keldeo is a great partner to these 2.
oh haha sorry i just did it off habit yeah
but if you're running assault vest the set should probably look more like this

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

The evs allow you to never be 2hko'd by hp fire or ohko'd by hp fighting from latios, while still being able to deal a lot of damage.
And for the keldeo thing, keldbish was already a core iirc (correct me if im wrong) and I didn't want it to be too similar to an already existing core.

Anyways, here's a cool defensive core I've been using a lot recently

+
+

Here's a cool FWG core I've been using a lot and I've really started to like it. These three resist almost every type in the game, except rock, dark, and ghost. That's pretty cool! This core can beat a lot of top tier threats, like megagross, keldeo, bisharp, sand offense, rain offense, diancie, landog, non-bd azu, latis, and a lot more! Tangrowth is a cool glue that's really underrated atm and can get rid of ground and water types for heatran, and heatran absorbs status that really impacts the other two mons, gets rid of talon for tangrowth, and being able to decently handle grass types not named breloom (which tangrowth beats) for slowbro. Slowbro is there as just a glue, able to deal with fighting types and take advantage of unprepared or weakened teams. Some good partners for this core are heal bell users, particularly unaware clef, who can stop DD altaria with EQ, who's a big threat to this core. Heatrans EVs are used to outspeed adamant excadrill and mega scizor, the latter being a big threat to the other two mons. Slowbros EVs are used to avoid the 2HKO from Thundurus' T-bolt at +1, with 4 in speed to creep other slowbro, and the rest in defense.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Iron Defense

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion

Hi Smogon today i purpose a crazy core, Mega-Houndoom + Gothitelle! I remembered this core after seeing Recreant's Houndoom Analysis.
Why Mega-Houndoom ? Mega-Houndoom is a 115 base speed, so He can outspeed base 110 like Latios/Gengar/Metagross (rip)/Gallade; Outspeed Serperior/Scarf Magnezone and He has a speedtie with Starmie and Raikou. With nasty plot he can beat a big part of the meta and can break stall (:]); now with a Charizard-Y rise he has a power up thanks to Solar Power.
"During intense sunlight, Solar Power increases the Pokémon's Special Attack by 1.5×, but the Pokémon loses 1/8 of its maximum HP at the end of each turn."

So, 378 x 1,5 = 567 Special Attack
With Nasty Plot, 378 x 1,5 x 2 = 1124 Special Attack

This dog can kill anything with Fire Blast/Dark Pulse +2, and with Hidden Power [Ground] +2 can kill Specially Defensive Heatran, which is one of the best switch-in on Houndoom, so you can statup on opponent's switch and kill Heatran with HP ground.
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 396-468 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Diancie isn't a problem after a Nasty Plot Houndoom kill she easily with HP Ground, but he can kill also with a Fire Blast coupled with an Hidden Power [Ground]

252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 97-115 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 144-170 (59.7 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 284-336 (117.8 - 139.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Why I chosen Gothitelle as mate ?

Gothitelle can be a good mate for Mega-Houndoom because he can trap the things are annoying for Mega-Houndoom, like Chansey or Mega-Lopunny and another good partner can be Slowbro because he has an hard check of Mega-Lopunny and coupled with Spikes you can weaken Mega-Lopunny and put pression on opponent's Latwins with Mega-Houndoom.
Moreover this core beat so easily the stall, when Quagsire/Chansey are dead due to Gothitelle you can clean with Nasty Plot Mega-Houndoom!

Sets

Houndoom (M) @ Houndoominite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast

Dark Pulse and Fire Blast are the mainstream STAB, Nasty Plot is the move with which I can win in Late Game and HP Ground is the surprise for Heatran, because at + 2 I fuck it!

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Trick
- Psyshock

This is a classic set of Stallish Gothitelle (Rest,Trick,Psyshock,Calm Mind), trap and statup; really a good stallbreaker coupled with Mega-Houndoom, she can easily beat Clefable/Chansey/Quagsire; maybe the biggest check of Mega-Houndoom.

See you later, Smogon!

Last edited:

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Hope this was something!
my intention is for Low kick to counter magnezone switches, bisharp, weavile, and other things that hurt landorus or even bisharp. (thanks for sprites) (AND YOU BETTER SEIZE)

Hi Smogon today i purpose a crazy core, Mega-Houndoom + Gothitelle! I remembered this core after seeing Recreant's Houndoom Analysis.
Why Mega-Houndoom ? Mega-Houndoom is a 115 base speed, so He can outspeed base 110 like Latios/Gengar/Metagross (rip)/Gallade; Outspeed Serperior/Scarf Magnezone and He has a speedtie with Starmie and Raikou. With nasty plot he can beat a big part of the meta and can break stall (:]); now with a Charizard-Y rise he has a power up thanks to Solar Power.
"During intense sunlight, Solar Power increases the Pokémon's Special Attack by 1.5×, but the Pokémon loses 1/8 of its maximum HP at the end of each turn."

This dog can kill anything with Fire Blast/Dark Pulse +2, and with Hidden Power [Ground] +2 can kill Specially Defensive Heatran, which is one of the best switch-in on Houndoom, so you can statup on opponent's switch and kill Heatran with HP ground.
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 396-468 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Diancie isn't a problem after a Nasty Plot Houndoom kill she easily with HP Ground, but he can kill also with a Fire Blast coupled with an Hidden Power [Ground]

252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 97-115 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 144-170 (59.7 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 284-336 (117.8 - 139.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Gothitelle can be a good mate for Mega-Houndoom because he can trap the things are annoying for Mega-Houndoom, like Chansey or Mega-Lopunny and another good partner can be Slowbro because he has an hard check of Mega-Lopunny and coupled with Spikes you can weaken Mega-Lopunny and put pression on opponent's Latwins with Mega-Houndoom.
Moreover this core beat so easily the stall, when Quagsire/Chansey are dead due to Gothitelle you can clean with Nasty Plot Mega-Houndoom!

Sets

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast

Dark Pulse and Fire Blast are the mainstream STAB, Nasty Plot is the move with which I can win in Late Game and HP Ground is the surprise for Heatran, because at + 2 I fuck it!

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Trick
- Psyshock

This is a classic set of Stallish Gothitelle (Rest,Trick,Psyshock,Calm Mind), trap and statup; really a good stallbreaker coupled with Mega-Houndoom, she can easily beat Clefable/Chansey/Quagsire; maybe the biggest check of Mega-Houndoom.

See you later, Smogon!
As mentioned on Reccy's thread, at +2 you 2HKO Heatran with Dark Pulse anyway.
Also plz tone down your font sizes

my intention is for Low kick to counter magnezone switches, bisharp, weavile, and other things that hurt landorus or even bisharp. (thanks for sprites) (AND YOU BETTER SEIZE)
No no, I get that, just paired with Lando-I, pursuit's usually a better option. you can still beat mag and bish with Lando tho :/.

Sets

Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Trick
- Psyshock

See you later, Smogon!
Here's the normal goth sprite

Dark pulse still ohkos heatran at +2 lol (kurona said that while i was typing this welp)
Don't really get why you're running that weird gothitelle set, it requires a heavy amount of team support to remove dark types and you're better off running another attack over calm mind. Maybe thunderbolt, as this can weaken azumarill (and bulky waters in general but especially azu) which is one of houndooms biggest checks on offense.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
An offensive core I've been playing with success:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Substitute / Roost

Talonflame @ Shell Bell / Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I think this core is pretty basic. M-Altaria hate stuff like Ferro, Skarmory, Scizor, M-Venus, Amoonguss, Gengar. Which all is either "fixed" or set-up fodder for the mighty phoenix. Talonflame himself hates Heatran and Rotom-W, which M-Altaria can set up on or bop.
On M-Altaria: Return is a powerful stab that is used the majority of the time, and for a good reason. STAB+Pixilate boosted Return hits like a truck with a total of 195,65 BP! Earthquake is just for steel/poison/fire-types that eats up the Return. Dragon Dance is to make the bop bigger. And Sub is used for easier time setting up on pokémon that is relying on status like Rotom-W, non-Jolly Breloom, M-Sableye, Gliscor (to an extant), Alomomola and many other pokémon that isn't mentioned. It also prevent M-Alt from being revenge killed, which is really nice! Roost can be used to recover back the damage M-Alt has taken, but lives it really vurnable to incoming attacks. The set is to outspeed neutral natured base 70 at +0, Torn-T at +1, and everything but stuff like Sand Rush/ Swift Swimmers and Scarf base 110s like Latios at +2.
On Talonflame: BB and Flare Blitz is for damage, Swords Dance for increasing the Atk to scary levels. Roost is to heal of damage taken. The Spe Evs makes Talonflame outspeed Max Spe Raikou so u can bop it /w Flare Blitz, and to outspeed all Talonflame except max Spe Jolly variants. Shell Bell and Lefties for passive recovery. LO can be used for extra firepower, but the recoil isn't that nice.
Threats to the core is bulky Lando-T, Scarfed Tyranitar locked into Stone Edge, AB Heatran, Unaware users, faster opposing Talonflame. If M-Alt is unboosted, M-Diancie giggle at them both. Neither of them likes to switch into moves, M-Altaria doesn't have recovery (if running sub), and Talonflame is just kind of frail. So a Voltturn core fits really well together with this one. LO Gengar fits pretty well in by checking Clefable and M-Diancie. (Healing) Wish support is great as always for pokémon without recovery, Latias fits this role nice as it can defog hazards as well.
Please remove Shell Bell and I'll add the core.

Mix Really dont like that core, sorry. Doom already 2hkoes heatran at +2 and chansey isnt a problem for it because you should be running Taunt. There are many better teammates to handle the pokemon you listed for goth to help with. Also the formatting hurts my eyes, but thats besides the point.

Anyways, updated the archives; I'm pretty sure I got everything.
Added the weather cores section, so give that a look :)
Keep up the great work everyone!

jpw234

Catastrophic Event Specialist
This is a really good balance/semi-stall core for the suspect ladder and probably gets even better if Mega Metagross stays in the tier:

+
( +
)

Sets:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Latias (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

The true core here is Scizor + Latias. First of all, the sets for this core are very flexible. You can run basically any combination of sets and items between these two Pokemon and it will be very effective. Shown here is Bulky SD Mega-Scizor with Defog Latias, which is probably the most consistent - but you can go a lot of ways with this. Offensive Mega-Scizor is an option, Whirlpool / Reflect Type Latias would be good, you could drop the mega on Scizor for Lefties and use a different mega elsewhere on your team, or you could even put the mega stone on Latias and use the CM set since Scizor switches into most Dark types well. You can also swap Defog onto Scizor and use a 3 attacks Latias (EQ for Heatran maybe?). Like I said, lots of variation.

The real beauty of this core is in the typing. Between them, Scizor and Latias form a defensive core that shuts down just about every relevant special attacker in the tier. Latias' special bulk already handles a bunch of hard hitters like Keldeo, Thundurus, Landorus-I lacking Knock Off, Charizard-Y, Mega-Venusaur, Mega-Manectric, Heatran, etc. However, Latias has trouble with special attackers carrying Dragon, Fairy and Ice type moves (and Gengar). Scizor resists Dragon, Fairy and Ice, and beats threats like Diancie, Sylveon, Clefable, Kyurem-B, Latios and Gardevoir. These two Pokemon also offer a bunch of utility for balance or stall - Defog, Draco Meteor, a late-game cleaner, powerful priority and Knock Off in the sets presented, with the potential for U-Turn, TWave, Trick, etc. It's a very strong backbone that is incredibly flexible to build around, slotting in nicely on teams ranging from full stall to balance.

The natural companion to the Dragon/Steel core is a Fairy type, and Clefable fits nicely. I chose to include the standard CM set, which cleans up a couple of miscellaneous annoyances to the core like Fire Blast Garchomp, CB Dragonite with Fire Punch, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Fire Blast Tyranitar, while providing a late-game threat to sweep. The core helps out Clefable's sweep reasonably well, with Scizor bringing in Heatran and knocking off Leftovers to ease in wearing it down, as well as providing good switch-ins to Mega Metagross and Magnezone. Again, there's a lot of variable options here - in particular, an Unaware set would be great to give Wish/Heal Bell support and beat some setup sweepers.

As always with Latias, you have to play around Pursuit users if you aren't using Reflect Type. The core also appreciates some hazard setters supporting it to get in chip damage, but honestly what doesn't. Ultimately, Scizor + Latias is a ridiculously self-sufficient balance/stall core that serves as a blanket check to most special attackers in the tier (along with a bunch of physical ones) and provides a great backbone to build around.

Last edited:
erm ninetails should never be used...At all.. its badly outclassed by zard-y and its really not good. Ive used zard-y+venu before and venu really shouldent boost at all. Just hit hard and get out when suns up.

Edit: could be just me but the dual weather core seems better then this. Might be just better to edit the dual weather post and mention venu (mostly as venu fits on it)
Yeah, I know, and actually, I haven't played it at all since BW2, but zard only can set sun for five turns, and if you're setting up Venu, you're gonna want to stay in as long as possible.

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Charity Bowl IV Winner
Offensive Core: Bisharp + Crawdaunt

This is a pretty well known dark spam core so I'm surprised no one has posted about it before. It consists of two extremely hard hitting dark type pokemon which weaken each other checks and counters so the other one can win late game. One example of a pokemon which they seemingly lose to is keldeo, however a knock off from either crawdaunt or bisharp allows it to die to a +2 sucker punch later in the game. They're both SD in order to put the most pressure on the opponent and whittling the opposing pokemon before getting rid of their leftovers. The extra steel/water type are also extremely useful as it helps bisharp resist grass types which try to come in on crawdaunt such as ferrothorn. The water type is nice on crawdaunt as it allows it to allows it to beat faster fire type pokemon such as heatran or hit hippowdon for a lot. I'm using life orb on both of them in order to get the maximum damage output. Bisharp is running adamant as I don't feel jolly is necessary and the extra damage is extremely helpful while crawdaunt is running jolly in order to outspeed rotom-w.
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Offensive Core: Mega Lopunny + Excadrill

This core works on hitting similar checks in order for the other one to sweep. They can both boost up with power-up-punch or swords dance and hit pokemon such as hippodown or slowbro for the other one later in the game. These sets aren't completely set in stone as you can also run ice punch on lopunny if you want to lure in landot, or even frustration on exca in order to lure in rotomw. I feel the true greatness in this core is pup on lopunny however. This allows it to lure in pokemon such as hippodown, rotom-w, and slowbro for excadrill to clean up later in the game. Life orb on excadrill is for the most power and to really break the walls that walls lopunny. Some pokemon that work well with this are something that can take special hits and get up sand for excadrill, tyranitar is a good pokemon to go along with this core.
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch / Ice Punch

Excadrill
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide / Rapid Spin / Return
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin / Return

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hate to be that guy, and I like the core, but a few things. This core's hella weak to fighting types (namely keldeo, breloom, lucario, chesnaught, toxicroak, and kind of lopunny) maybe include something like a talonflame, lati, or maybe even an altaria? Maybe add something like that. Really choice concept though, really fun core to use on hyper offense.
I mean, its kinda obvious that its really fighting weak, I dont think its necessary to add another teammate for that since there are a ton of mons you could choose for that.

Charizard-X + Suicune + Jirachi Balence core

+
+

Alright
i found this core out while building teams and this is a pretty cool core i made that fits on bulky offence and balence teams. The way the core works is that Jirachi sets up stealth rocks to help aid suicune and zard x to wittle down mons due to how they force so many switches. On top of that jirachi is running body slam to help para faster pokemon to help aid the two slow sweepers out. Charizard X and suicune works very well together due to how zard hates dealing with stuff such as slowbro which suicune can set up on to some extent as well as remove special walls and grass types to help suicune set up better. This Core is really weak to azumaril due to how hall of the members can fall to one of its coverage moves. Zard is shut down completly by azu, suicune CAN try and burn it and rest the damage off but nothing more while rachi can only flinch it to death but risk the knock off. Teammates to beat azumarill such as thuderous and breloom come to mind as well as help break down stall more as well as bulky waters. Other teamates such as latias work great due how how she synergizes nice with zard but this makes you weak to dark types so lure clefable is a great to have as a teammate as well. Landorus t(and incarnate) also work nicely as they can help remove heatran and in landorus-i's case help break down bulky mons to help zard pull as mid-late game sweep off. Overall this is a pretty cool core and i think you should try it if you want to use Charizard-X.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Might as well post another core. Also if you dont mind answering boltsandbombers why was the dual intimidate core and d/f/s+f/w/g core with zard x not posted whats wrong with it so i can fix it.

Mega Altaria + Volcarona Offensive core

+

this is a pretty neat core ive been fiddling with and its pretty nice. In a way its alternative to the mega altaria + talonflame core but with more bulk. The way this core works is that volc removes fairies not named azumarill as well as steels that altaria might have trouble breaking past. The spread on volc turns volc into a more bulky sweeper rather then investing his evs in offensive stats. The spread allows volc to be 2ohd by azumarils aqua jet and have a 50% Chance to live azumarils waterfall This allows volc to continue sweeping even if a azumarill is in the way. Mega altarias job is to check heatran which hard walls volc as well as remove stuff like t-tar, terakion as well as rotom-w and other water types. The spread allows mega alt to outspeed max speed azumaril and speed tie with rotom-w with 44 speed evs. (if you want you can increase that so you outspeed those rotom.) The rest was put into hp. I recomend using serperior due to how it can help with the removal of water types as well as excadrill and tyranitar due to how well alt works in sand. Naturally hazard removal is Needed for volc so the best hazard removers to pair these two with are either excadrill or starmie. Volc works well with F/W/G cores so keep that in mind. Hippowdon also works nice with this core due to how its resist rock type moves and checks birds.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Quiver Dance

Last edited:
Birdspam v2.0

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine / Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Earthquake / Heal Bell / Refresh

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Steel Wing

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast / Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Or

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Superpower / Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Taunt / Knock Off

This Birdspam core sacrifices the immediate wrecking power that Staraptor and Mega Pinsir provide in return for more bulk in the form of Mega Altaria and Tornadus-T. As a result, it is more of a balanced core.

Defensive Dragon Dance Mega Altaria can used as a check to two things that gave the original Birdspam problems: Thundurus and Mega Manectric. She can avoid 2HKOs from Hidden Power Ice and set up on them. In fact, the EV spread she has can allow her to tank several moves, including but not limited to Choice Band Dragonite's Earthquake, Mega Charizard X's +1 Flare Blitz, and even Azumarill's Play Rough. Her ability to then set up a Dragon Dance and deal large amounts of damage with Pixilate Return makes her a great threat. Earthquake is used to deal with Heatran, while Heal Bell / Refresh allows her to be a team supporter or to remove her own status.

Choice Band Talonflame is self-explanatory. It basically revenge-kills almost anything you need it to revenge. With counters such as Tyranitar, Heatran, and Rotom-W out of the way, Talonflame can even clean up a weakened team rather easily. Be aware that it is quite vulnerable to getting itself killed via recoil.

Tornadus-T can either run a Life Orb set or an Assault Vest set. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The Assault Vest set gives it more longevity (and can tank a few hits) while the Life Orb has more immediate power. Hurricane is a preferred STAB of choice on the Assault Vest set, as Air Slash fails to nail many of the KOs that it wants. If the Life Orb set is used, then Air Slash can be considered, although the power difference is still noticeable. The second move on both sets are for coverage. Superpower and Focus Blast hit Tyranitar, Heatran, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, all which can check or counter either Mega Altaria or Talonflame. Do note that Superpower is more accurate than Focus Blast but fails to leave marks on Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Heat Wave hits Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn, but then Earthquake on Mega Altaria is required to get past Heatran. You can even run both a fighting and fire move if you want, but then you would have to give up U-Turn or Knock Off/Taunt, both of which have their advantages. U-Turn preserves momentum, while Taunt can help to break stall. Knock Off is used for removing items, and it also hits the Lati twins pretty darn hard while ruining Chansey's day.

Despite all this, the core still has it's weaknesses. While both Mega Altaria and Tornadus-T have nice switch-in opportunities, hazards will hamper their ability to switch-in, even with their recovery. Talonflame absolutely hates rocks, so hazard removal is absolutely necessary there. Wish or Healing Wish support makes their life easier, and Latias can thus be a great teammate with Defog and Healing Wish. A Rotom-W counter is also a good thing to have, especially if Mega Altaria isn't running Heal Bell. It can check Talonflame (counter if it is defensive), burn Mega Altaria, and has supereffective electric STABs for Tornadus-T. However, with proper prediction, Tornadus-T can Knock Off and/or Taunt an incoming Rotom-W, stripping it of it's useful item or preventing a Will-o-wisp and then U-Turn to a counter. Finally, the team lacks huge immediate power, as Mega Altaria require set-up, Tornadus-T isn't exactly an amazing nuke, and Talonflame is meant to revenge. This can make fighting stall a chore, especially Clefable, although between Mega Altaria's status removers and Knock Off/Taunt, stall can be worked around. Wallbreakers/Stallbreakers such as Choice Band Victini, Mew, and Landorus can be used to beat out these walls.

First core I made up, by the way. Hope you like it :)

EDIT: Mega Diancie may also pose a threat to the core. It has a 37.5% chance to OHKO Mega Altaria with Moonblast, forces out Talonflame not locked into Steel Wing, and OHKOs Tornadus-T with Diamond Storm. However, Talonflame can still check Mega Diancie, and if a Careful Nature is ran on Altaria, she can avoid the OHKO from Moonblast and can 2HKO Mega Diancie with either Return or Earthquake (one can run 124 EVs in attack to guarantee a OHKO with Earthquake after a Dragon Dance but do note that you do lose EVs in bulk and the defensive dragon dance Mega Altaria is still outsped after only single Dragon Dance. If you do this you're probably better off running a full offensive Dragon Dance set). Of course, running teammates that can counter Mega Diancie alleviates the problem better.

Last edited:
Okay, so here's a little duo I've been using lately for funsies.

Offensive Core: Tyrantrum + Landorus-T

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Head Smash
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Superpower

Landorus (Landorus-T) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Explosion / Knock Off / Swords Dance

Okay, so I'll be honest, I just made this core because I wanted to use Tyrantrum. I mean, it's one of the coolest Pokemon that Game Freak has ever designed, and its recoil-free Head Smashes are so powerful and fun to abuse. So I thought to myself, "What can Choice Band Tyrantrum smash?" The answer: everything. More specifically, it can lure in things like Chesnaught, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Landorus-T (basically general physical walls and sturdy Rock/Ground resists), hitting them all hard with either Head Smash, Outrage, or one of its coverage moves. Then I thought, "Hmm, what appreciates these guys being weakened or gone? Hey, maybe Rock Polish Landorus-T. No wait...Rock Polish Landorus-T with EXPLOSION! Yeah!" And thus this core was born.

Okay, so first you have Tyrantrum. The main goal with this thing is just to come in and spam Head Smash. Don't overthink it too much, just get in and toss around one of the most powerful attacks with no drawbacks in the game. Basically anything that doesn't resist it is going to be solidly 2HKOed (even Mega Slowbro if Stealth Rock is down), and if you anticipate a bulky Rock-resist like Hippowdon or Ferrothorn, you can toss out the appropriate secondary move to deal with them (it's honestly pretty insane when a Pokemon like Tyrantrum gets STAB Outrage and it's considered a secondary move, lol). You might not even have to worry about that, though, when CB Head Smash is doing an average of about 40% to standard Ferrothorn.

Once Tyrantrum has opened up a couple of holes in the opponent's team, it'll be a lot easier to set up a Rock Polish on Landorus-T and get a successful sweep. One thing I love about this set is that people generally expect to see the Choice Scarf and defensive sets, which together make up most of the Landorus-Ts running around in the metagame (and aren't too hard to keep in check), so they get a lot more comfortable about playing recklessly with their Tyrantrum/Landorus-T checks. Once they figure out that I'm running a Life Orb Rock Polish set, it's generally too late and they've lost their main switch-in. I know that some may prefer Double Dance with Leftovers, but I like Rock Polish with Life Orb for a couple of reasons. First, Life Orb-boosted Earthquakes and such are just naturally powerful, so I don't even have to set up Rock Polish for Landorus-T to be an offensive threat. This extra power also means that Landorus-T will have a somewhat easier time plowing through offensive teams without having to worry about setting up Swords Dance for that extra power. The second reason is that not running Swords Dance leaves me free to pick another move for that slot. There are a few options you could go with, but I personally like Explosion since you can often get one more kill/weaken one more thing significantly before Landorus-T goes down for whatever reason. I usually run this if I have a secondary win condition to take advantage of the further weakened team, generally something fast like Mega Lopunny or with strong priority like Talonflame. Knock Off is another cool option since it's just a good move for early to mid-game play, plus it hits a few things like Celebi and the Lati twins that wouldn't exactly be eager to switch into Tyrantrum and get KOed that way. However, Double Dance with Leftovers and a bulkier EV spread (can't remember the exact one I usually use) are perfectly legitimate options. Bottom line is to sweep with Landorus-T once Tyrantrum softens up the opponent's team, so whichever works best for you is fine.

Now, there's a few partners in particular that I find to be good with this little core. Healing Wish support is handy since it lets you play Landorus-T more defensively early in the game before healing it up and sweeping later. You'll also want something that resists types like Water, Grass, Ice, and Fairy, as neither Tyrantrum nor Landorus-T likes switching into strong moves of these types. That said, Scarf Jirachi is a cool partner since it carries a very fast Healing Wish and can take Ice, Grass, and Fairy moves for the duo. It also serves as a nice check to tons of stuff, which is good since you can't run the bog standard Scarf Landorus-T here for obvious reasons. In addition, Iron Head flinches are a great way to clean up a team that has been weakened by Tyrantrum's Head Smashes and Landorus-T's Earthquakes and Explosion. Mega Lopunny is another option here. Like Jirachi, it can carry Healing Wish support if you ever get an opportunity to use it. If not, then Mega Lopunny is another solid win condition that loves for generic physical walls to be weakened by Tyrantrum and Landorus-T. Offensive Mega Venusaur offers a couple of cool perks to this core. First, it switches in on the really bulky Rock-resists like Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Chesnaught that plague Tyrantrum quite well. Furthermore, its Grass typing prevents Ferrothorn and Chesnaught from healing up with Leech Seed (and its bulk/Poison typing stops Chesnaught's Drain Punch as well), which makes them much easier to wear down over time. It also takes Water, Grass, and Fairy attacks for the duo, and it doesn't even mind weaker Ice coverage moves either. In fact, that's one thing I like about this core: it doesn't utilize a Mega, so you've got a lot of freedom there with regards to which Mega you choose. One more thing you're going to want is obviously Stealth Rock support, helping Tyrantrum to more easily bust holes in teams and Landorus-T to sweep more effectively late-game. Ferrothorn and Heatran are two examples of Stealth Rock setters that can switch into some of the moves that really hurt Tyrantrum and Landorus-T, although keep in mind that you'll need something to switch into things like Keldeo (i.e. Latias, which can also offer Healing Wish support).

So yeah, that's about it. If there's anything else I need to add to this, just let me know!

Mandibuzz +Rhydon+Shedinja (Defensive core)
I have been using this core since X/Y and it's been working very well for me, even netting me occasional free win from rage quitting.

The basics behind this trio is that you play around immunities and resistance. Shedinja is obviously the centerpiece of the trio, taking damage only against 5 types, status, weathers and stealth rocks. Mandibuzz resists 2 of Shedinja's weakness and provides defog support. Rhydon provides resists every other move Shedinja is weak to, plus setting stealth rocks. Since Shedinja is immune to all of Rhydon's weakness and all of Mandibuzz weakness except rock, playing the core right really allows for astonishing resiliency.

Mandibuzz, Bold (Leftover) 252hp/252spef
-Defog
-Roost
-Foul play
-Taunt

Shedinja, Adamant (Focus Sash) 252atk/252speed
-Will-O-Wisp
-Confuse Ray
-X-scissor
-Shadow Sneak

Rhydon, Impish (Eviolite) 252Hp/252spdef
-Stealth Rock
-Megahorn
-Stone Miss
-Earthquake

landorus.gif
sharpedo-mega.gif

Offensive Core: Mega Sharpedo + Landorus Incarnate

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Poison Jab/Poison Fang/Zen Headbutt

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic/Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

The idea around this core is pretty simple. Landorus punches holes in teams and Sharpedo cleans up the remains. The reason I made this core is becuase I recently found out that shapedo is an really fun (and productive) pokemon to use, and Landorus is one of the best pokemon in the metagame (easy S rank). Balance teams can really have issues with this core, as can stall, and if offensive teams lack Talonflame or bisharp they are in grave danger of being swept by Sharpedo.

The Landorus set is the standard wall breaker set. The idea is to just to force some switches and and hit some stuff really hard, making it easier for Sharpedo to clean up later on. Earth power is mandatory, as it is landorus' go to stab move, and can hit really hard, without taking any life orb recoil. Focus blast is used to hit stuff like ferrothorn and Skarmoryhard, and can 2hko chansey after its Evolite is removed. Psychic is for mega venuaur, and flying types switching in on eseth power. However, Sludge wave can be used to beat fairy types, while giving Sharpedo the option to run zen Headbutt. Knock off is Landorus's only way of hitting Cressilia, and is great for nailing the eon twins, chansey and other bulky pokemon on a switch. The great thing about Landorus is that it can easily 2hko mega Sableye, which is the face of stall teams, which Sharpedo does not like dealing with.

Sharpedo is used to finish off weakened teams. It is important that you keep speed boost until you are certain you can sweep (not factoring in hax), and can be used to outpace offensive teams. Due to Sharpedos very powerful crunch, and hydro pump for pokemon frailer on the special side, Sharpedo is very threatning to many teams. Protect is is mandatory for gabbing a speed boost, and for allowing Sharpedo to safely mega evolve. Crunch is very consistent and powerful, and has a nice chance of weakening Defense, making certain bulky pokemon quiver. Hydro pump is for pokemon like bisharp that don't mind taking sharpdeos other moves, and hits physical walls such as Skarmory hard. Poison fang is for Azumarill, clefable and other fairies. However, if your running sludge wave Landorus, you might as well run zen Headbutt, for Keldeo and conkeldurr.

This core is threatended easily by talonflame, which can make short work of both these pokemon. Keldeo is very annoying, particularly if scarf, though it can't switch in on Landorus comfortably. Bisharp can revenge kill both these pokemon if weaken, though it must be wary of switching in. Set up sweepers such as mega Altaria make short work of this core, particualy if they predict sharpedos protect or if sharpedo lacks poison fang.

Answers to Talonflame are madatory partners to this core, so bulky or fast electrics are appreciated. Answers to bisharp and such are also nice additions, so pokemon such as counter Skarmory can be used. Set up stoppers such as Thunderus and Klefki work well this core, as they prevent a dangerous position for the core and the team. Finally, hazard support is very useful to have, as it soften ups pokemon, so Sharpedo has an easier time sweeping.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)