Resource ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core: Mega Diancie + Bisharp

I checked the archive plz dont kill me if its there

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bisharp @ Black Glasses / Life Orb / Lum Berry / Whatever
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

This is an extremely potent offensive core which applies pressure and also supports the rest of the team by helping win the hazard war. These days hazards are ubiquitous and being able to keep them off your side of the field and on the opponent's side of the field can be imperative to winning.

Although Mega Diancie is not particularly bulky and not a reliable preventer of Stealth Rock like Mega Sableye, it's still capable of preventing Garchomp from setting it up. Not only that, but the possibility of making an aggressive play directly into an opponent using Stealth Rock / Spikes has to be in the back of the opponents mind, thus exerting pressure even when it is not on the field. Diancie is extremely difficult for many offensive teams to switch into, especially HP Fire variants which nail Scizor and Ferrothorn super effectively.

Bisharp has been a hyper offensive staple for a long time and for good reason. It discourages Defog, SDs in the face of tons of things and revenge kills tons of potent threats such as Mega Alakazam and weather sweepers if they've been slightly weakened.

Between the two, your team will already be kinda set in terms of checking Latios which is one of the most common pokemon. In terms of offensive synergy, Diancie can threaten pokemon such as Garchomp, Keldeo, Mega Lopunny if at full HP (and Protect mindgames), Breloom, Charizard, Mega Sableye, Talonflame and Tornadus-T most of which are capable of checking Bisharp in some way or another. In return Bisharp checks the aforementioned Alakazam and weather sweepers, other fast offensive threats like Mega Manectric, Mega Metagross and Serperior (if weakened) as well as Clefable, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and other fatmons like Chansey or Cresselia which may hope to wall Diancie.

The core's weak to things like Scarf Keldeo, Mega Scizor, Skarmory, Mega Venusaur (to an extent, Bisharp can weaken it pretty badly), Gliscor and a few other things.

I've put HP Fire on this Diancie since I personally think it is better coverage than Earth Power even if it's weaker. Feel free to go either way but I felt that luring Scizor would be helpful. With Bisharp I prefer Black Glasses over Life Orb since it's often killing itself and Bisharp's longevity is extremely crucial for last mon standing scenarios or not being picked off by faster priority. Lum Berry is a fine option as well since Rotom-Wash is a nuisance but yeah up to team specifics really.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Team Pokepals I don't mean to sound pushy or to minimod (appologies if either of these are the case), but are you planning on updating the archive at some point? I come to this thread a lot to refer people to certain cores and its annoying having to search through three-ish pages of cores which haven't been put in the archive yet for anything that has been posted in the past month or so.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey Team Pokepals I don't mean to sound pushy or to minimod (appologies if either of these are the case), but are you planning on updating the archive at some point? I come to this thread a lot to refer people to certain cores and its annoying having to search through three-ish pages of cores which haven't been put in the archive yet for anything that has been posted in the past month or so.
Just updated it with stuff from the last 3 pages, and I sorta took a break to learn more about building and stuff like overloading checks opposed to thinking you get straight up walled by 1 mon, or how you can run another mon to help with checks, but then there's the fact that the opponent won't stay in when you send out whatever it is to kill it.

Some of the cores were kinda niche or advanced, and I wanna make sure new players that see this have an easy time building with stuff before attempting to build some harder stuff, so that kinda contributed to me taking some time off for this one.

Offensive Trick Room Core: Uxie + Belly Drum Azumarill + Nasty Plot Lucario

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration / Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
I'll break up the text into sections, I've written quite a lot. Relevant calcs are in each subsection.
Uxie is your lead on a team featuring this core, being dependable against everything but Mega Heracross and LO Hoopa-U (who hit that little bit too hard), sashed Breloom and Mega Sableye. Magic Coat allows you to reflect Taunts, Spikes and Stealth Rock, important in match-ups where the free turn is crucial (TankChomp being the prime example, if you bounce his rocks back he's going to want to set them again - giving you a free turn to Trick Room while he sets and then using Memento to bring in what you want before he can Dragon Tail). The defensive bulk means nearly all STAB super effective hits are 2HKOes, and most non-STAB super effective hits are 3HKOes.

Mental Herb allows you to set Trick Room in the face of threatening Taunt users (e.g. Gengar) where you don't want to run the risk of using Magic Coat, it also means you can take a Taunt from things like Talonflame and Tornadus-T (who only sometimes have it) then bounce it back turn two with Magic Coat. Against strong or super-effective pokemon (Gengar, Bisharp, ZardY etc.) go straight for Trick Room and then you can set Rocks faster then they can 2HKO (then bring in your check), or go straight for Memento if there's no need for rocks (no Sturdy/Multiscale pokemon, nothing particularly weak to it) or the need to nerf the opposing pokemon out-weighs your desire for rocks (ZardY).

Against something like Mega Diancie, you can Trick Room as it protects and then Memento or bring in something that can take Moonblast and which threatens (nothing in the current core, but do have the rest of your team for that). You can manually switch out Uxie in cases where you have a solid counter to the opposing pokemon, allowing him to be fodder when you need to make switches after Trick Room goes down.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie in Sun: 249-294 (70.3 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 242-289 (68.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 237-281 (66.9 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie: 273-322 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 330-390 (93.2 - 110.1%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO
96 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Uxie: 304-359 (85.8 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Azumarill is devastating under Trick Room, meaning there are little to no safe switches to be made around him and normally allowing for 2 OHKOes. At the +6 defeats his regular checks with ease (Amoonguss, Rotom-W, Celebi, Keldeo, Lati@s, Kyurem-B, Manaphy) as well as now beating a lot of priority users due to slower priority acting first (SpDef Klefki, Thundurus, Talonflame, Banded Scizor, Mega Pinsir, Bisharp etc.). Uxie's Memento allows him to set up on pokemon that are normally a threat (ZardY's Solarbeam, Zapdos's T-Bolt, etc.), opening many more situations where you can Belly Drum than in normal play. Azumarill is good against TankChomp at the -2 (at least now that Endure has died a death) as though he will take a lot of residual damage most priority users are useless against him as mentioned meaning he usually still gets his 2 OHKOes.

After Trick Room goes down, there's always BellyJet to fall back on - allowing for a sweep or heavy damage to a check. The EVs are for taking physical priority and hits better outside of Trick Room - super effective special checks will KO with or without moving those EVs to HP so they really are better left where they are. Frustration > Play Rough; it has perfect accuracy (which is great as you really need Azu to put in work), lures Mega Venusaur (who is almost guaranteed to switch if their last pokemon is -2/-2 from Memento and doesn't threaten) and at the +6 really doesn't deny you any coverage you would get from running Play Rough. The only situation where I think running Play Rough is an okay-ish idea is to let you tackle Shedinja/Mega Sableye more easily, which this core fails to do.

Do not set up Azumarill in situations where he is likely to get burned, play as aggressively as possible (for example when Mega Lopunny comes in on your last Trick Room turn uses Fake Out, he will switch afterwards to avoid the +6 Jet OHKO, so use Frustration/Knock Off on the switch out). Things this guy are weak against are Ferrothorn (if running Power Whip and Trick Room is up), Unaware Clefable and Mega Sableye, which is where Lucario comes in.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 291-343 (87.1 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Frustration vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 339-399 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 408-482 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Frustration vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 434-511 (103.3 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 342-403 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 271-321 (100 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 318-375 (92.7 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-2 160 Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 174-205 (50.8 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 152-180 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO
-2 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 182-216 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 156-185 (45.6 - 54%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 134-158 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 214-253 (62.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 148-175 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Azumarill: 224-266 (65.4 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lucario is my lead against Mega Sableye, and at min-speed is still naturally faster than and gets either 2HKOes or OHKOes on pretty much all of what stall has to offer (Mega Sableye/Unaware Clefable/Chansey/Skarmory/Quagsire). Though the combo of a Sableye's WoW burn and LO does not give Lucario the longest life-span, it's enough to weaken stall to the point of no return. All stall teams live and die on their defensive momentum - so do not be afraid to use Aura Sphere against a Mega Sableye, 99% of stall players are making that switch into Chansey or Skarmory when they see your +2 SpAtk and think about your likely move pool.

Under Trick Room, Lucario serves several important functions. He's a solid Bisharp check, who after SDing and/or receiving a Memento usually think they're invincible. The fact that no-one ever runs special Lucario with Vacuum Wave plays right into your hands as most players are thinking, "Well I can take ExtremeSpeed or Bullet Punch, and my +4 Sucker Punch is going to hit before Close Combat and OHKO, so I'm golden," giving you the upper hand. He can't be flinched, so players who haven't engaged their brain are in for a rude awakening when they Fake Out with MLop or MCham in an attempt to stall a Trick Room turn.

Above all else he takes burns from those thinking he's a physical attacker which Azumarill wouldn't appreciate (Rotom-W), and lures many Intimidate users like Lando-T who fall to his +2 special attacks. Ferrothorn while slower fails to do much meaningful to Lucario, again rounding off a weakness of Azumarill's. All of what applied to Azumarill applies here as well - falling back on priority outside of Trick Room, playing aggressively (boost on a Mega Diancie Protect on a final Trick Room turn to OHKO with +4 Vacuum Wave, expect the fighting weak pokemon he's brought following Trick Room to switch into Gengar so use Flash Cannon, etc.) and feel free to boost on some -2 super effective STAB hits (Heatran's Lava Plume).
252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 302-364 (94.6 - 114.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 407-481 (106.5 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 320-378 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 243-289 (80.1 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 351-413 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 456-538 (136.5 - 161%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Clefable: 374-439 (95.1 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252+ SpA Life Orb Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 238-281 (98.7 - 116.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
-2 0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 146-174 (42.5 - 50.7%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (103 BP) vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Lucario: 69-82 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Lucario: 226-266 (65.6 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The main weaknesses of the core are LO Hoopa-U and Mega Heracross (too strong for Uxie), sashed leads, Breloom, Serperior revenge kills, Shedinja with Mega Sableye and substitute users. While Breloom, substitute users, sashed leads and Serperior are definitely something to prepare for (Grass/Overcoat/Sleep Talk pokemon for the Breloom, sound/multi-hit move pokemon for the Substitute, lots of things for sashed leads, a bulky setter that can take +2 LO Leaf Storm), Hoopa-U, Mega Heracross and Shedinja with Mega Sableye aren't used as much so counter-plays here aren't as important. Hax is also a problem for the team to a larger extent than normal - critical hits ruin Uxie as a lead and also ignore the Memento stat drops, something to bear in mind.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-329158482 - After textbook Uxie lead plays, Lucario setting up in front of a -2 WoW Heatran, who switches out into a physical Gliscor which Lucario has lured. Lucario proceeds to KO 5 members of the team through aggressive playing (I wasn't bothered about the risk of the opposing Azumarill OHKO as I had Ferrothorn to follow up, and I play as though my team is expendable in the first place). Opponent is 1800+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-325156529 - Lucario acting as a lead and destorying a semi-stall team. Opponent is 1700+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-323880869 - Lucario acting as a lead against a Fake Out Mega Sableye. Wall-breaks enough for Uxie to come in and set up after Mega Sableye has fainted, leading to Azumarill setting up and getting the 2 OHKOes I've been talking about. After that his team is past the point of no return. Opponent is 1600+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-325167351 - Uxie Memento-ing on Mega Diancie. Lucario removing Ferrothorn as an obstacle again paving the way for Azumarill to do serious damage. Misplay towards the end where I forget Lando-T is banded, but with a little luck I pull the match back. Opponent is 1700+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-325280136 - After Uxie counter-plays a Klefki lead with Magic Coat, he does his usual set up against the Tyranitar switch. Azumarill comes in and cleans the entire team. Opponent is 1700+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-323845261 - Uxie Trick Rooming in front of Weavile and setting Rocks before he can 2HKO. An inexperienced player using Azumarill's ordinary checks against him (Manaphy and Talonflame) under Trick Room, leading to a forfeit when they're gone. Opponent is 1500+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-321950223 - Enough early game wall-breaking with Azumarill and Lucario for me to seal the match. Opponent is 1650+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-319331067 - Low ladder luring of a Mega Venusaur with Azumarill, I'll look out for a higher ladder more reputable proof of concept for Frustration.

Last edited:
I dont really agree with the sets and core overall. Special lucario is in general pretty bad because lucario loses out on its biggest niche for even being used in the tier with that being extreme speed. Not to mention Lucario is generally meh on tr to begin with when mega heracross is a thing and has more bulk compared to lucario of all things. Lucario on trick room is just weird period actually lol. Its not really something that can function on tr properly due to its lackluster bulk which is why mega heracross is better as a whole. uxie is eh as a suicidal tr setter when you got diancie but i guess its got a ok niche. Bd azu on tr sounds pretty medicore but i could be wrong.

Edit: idk what to say to the post bellow. Like really: Mega Heracross, while good on Trick Room, is walled by stall unlike Lucario and has overlapping weaknesses with Azumarill.

Last edited:
I dont really agree with the sets and core overall. Special lucario is in general pretty bad because lucario loses out on its biggest niche for even being used in the tier with that being extreme speed. Not to mention Lucario is generally meh on tr to begin with when mega heracross is a thing and has more bulk compared to lucario of all things. Lucario on trick room is just weird period actually lol. Its not really something that can function on tr properly due to its lackluster bulk which is why mega heracross is better as a whole. uxie is eh as a suicidal tr setter when you got diancie but i guess its got a ok niche. Bd azu on tr sounds pretty medicore but i could be wrong.
Mega Heracross, while good on Trick Room, is walled by stall unlike Lucario and has overlapping weaknesses with Azumarill (Unaware Clefable, Mega Sableye) - not what you want in a offensive core. It also has a strong case of 4MSS, as SD sets can't run both STABs as well as the Rock Blast and Bullet Seed coverage and non-SD sets are too prone to Intimidate. As mentioned, by running special Lucario you also have something to absorb burns, you have a powerful accurate steel STAB (75% on Iron Tail sucks, as does the power on Bullet Punch) and it can deal with those problematic pokemon that Azumarill doesn't like. Further, I'd say you don't really need to have good bulk on Lucario for it to do its job - stall isn't going to be hitting it outside of Trick Room, faster things aren't going to be hitting it under Trick Room and slower things which are going to be hitting it for the most part do sucky damage (Ferrothorn) or are handled by Azumarill. Even though the expectation is that everything on Trick Room has to have crazy bulk, you can definitely make exceptions to that rule for pokemon who aren't going to be taking many/any hits in the first place.

Uxie is a better lead than Diancie because it lacks the x4 steel weakness. That weakness means that if you want it as a dedicated lead you have to run sash, meaning you can't run Mental Herb - opening a can of worms against Taunt users that you don't have with Uxie. Against stuff with Bullet Punch, even if you run sash, you don't get the almost assured two set-up turns Uxie gets. Personally, I would (and have) used Carbink as it has Sturdy and you can run Mental Herb on it too, however that Bullet Punch problem is still there and both Carbink and Diancie with sash have an even worse problem than that - Iron Head has a 30% flinch chance. This means that 30% of the time when they are the lead against Bisharp, you can kiss any set up good-bye. Uxie is unequivocally more reliable as a lead, not to say Diancie is terrible but I think it has more problems than Uxie and Explosion does not put the momentum squarely in your hands like Memento does as if you KO and then you get a bad match up you've not really made any progress.

I'm not really sure how you can say Azumarill is mediocre on Trick Room - for many teams it can be unwallable for 2 turns then at least deal heavy damage on the third if not take out even more pokemon. How many teams appreciate 2-3 of their pokemon no longer being there? Anything legitimately that is impossible to check let alone counter for a couple of turns is in its essence very good offensively.

The point of an offensive core is to have offensive synergy. Uxie/Azumarill/Lucario have more offensive synergy than Uxie/Azumarill/Mega Heracross as the former is able to handle more team archetypes than the latter, and the former has wall-breakers which can actually set up on different pokemon to one another which the latter does not (Mega Heracross cannot really set up on a WoW user just like Azu). I think the replays speak for themselves, the majority being top half of the ladder and demonstrating the core working in the exact ways I've detailed (Lucario/Azumarill working in tandem to eliminate each others checks, or just working by themselves to wipe out whole sections of a team).

Last edited:
Mega Heracross, while good on Trick Room, is walled by stall unlike Lucario and has overlapping weaknesses with Azumarill (Unaware Clefable, Mega Sableye) - not what you want in a offensive core. It also has a strong case of 4MSS, as SD sets can't run both STABs as well as the Rock Blast and Bullet Seed coverage and non-SD sets are too prone to Intimidate. As mentioned, by running special Lucario you also have something to absorb burns, you have a powerful accurate steel STAB (75% on Iron Tail sucks, as does the power on Bullet Punch) and it can deal with those problematic pokemon that Azumarill doesn't like. Further, I'd say you don't really need to have good bulk on Lucario for it to do its job - stall isn't going to be hitting it outside of Trick Room, faster things aren't going to be hitting it under Trick Room and slower things which are going to be hitting it for the most part do sucky damage (Ferrothorn) or are handled by Azumarill. Even though the expectation is that everything on Trick Room has to have crazy bulk, you can definitely make exceptions to that rule for pokemon who aren't going to be taking many/any hits in the first place.

Uxie is a better lead than Diancie because it lacks the x4 steel weakness. That weakness means that if you want it as a dedicated lead you have to run sash, meaning you can't run Mental Herb - opening a can of worms against Taunt users that you don't have with Uxie. Against stuff with Bullet Punch, even if you run sash, you don't get the almost assured two set-up turns Uxie gets. Personally, I would (and have) used Carbink as it has Sturdy and you can run Mental Herb on it too, however that Bullet Punch problem is still there and both Carbink and Diancie with sash have an even worse problem than that - Iron Head has a 30% flinch chance. This means that 30% of the time when they are the lead against Bisharp, you can kiss any set up good-bye. Uxie is unequivocally more reliable as a lead, not to say Diancie is terrible but I think it has more problems than Uxie and Explosion does not put the momentum squarely in your hands like Memento does as if you KO and then you get a bad match up you've not really made any progress.

I'm not really sure how you can say Azumarill is mediocre on Trick Room - for many teams it can be unwallable for 2 turns then at least deal heavy damage on the third if not take out even more pokemon. How many teams appreciate 2-3 of their pokemon no longer being there? Anything legitimately that is impossible to check let alone counter for a couple of turns is in its essence very good offensively.

The point of an offensive core is to have offensive synergy. Uxie/Azumarill/Lucario have more offensive synergy than Uxie/Azumarill/Mega Heracross as the former is able to handle more team archetypes than the latter, and the former has wall-breakers which can actually set up on different pokemon to one another which the latter does not (Mega Heracross cannot really set up on a WoW user just like Azu). I think the replays speak for themselves, the majority being top half of the ladder and demonstrating the core working in the exact ways I've detailed (Lucario/Azumarill working in tandem to eliminate each others checks, or just working by themselves to wipe out whole sections of a team).
Normally, I don't frequent much in this thread, but I just want to point out everything wrong here. Foremost, Heracross's role in OU is it being a premier stallbreaker with exceptional-enough bulk, allowing it to be used on less committal team builds. Specially-based Lucario does have the incredibly slight advantage of not being vulnerable to Intimidate, but when you consider that Heracross can run Swords Dance and still be frightening outside of Trick Room, then said advantage becomes negligible. (That said, burns are still hugely problematic because Lucario will be losing 22% of its HP every turn it attacks, preventing it from wallbreaking properly, let alone sweeping). If you want a Special Trick Room abuser, you certainly have lots of better choices than Lucario, such as Dragalge, Mega Ampharos, Slowking, Reuniclus, and Heatran. I do, however, agree with Uxie being a good TR setter (U-turn / Memento tremendously set it apart from Diancie) and Azumarill being good on TR builds solely by virtue of its strength and Fairy typing.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
props to jojo for thinking outside the box with that core. nice to see some nonstandard stuff every once and a while.

anyways instead of arguing with each other incessantly over semantics on what is good and bad, why not just leave something be? you don't have to tell someone why you think that their core isn't good all the damn time. while the tr core jojo posted isn't the greatest thing ever, he has proof of it working. just leave it be. all this arguing does is clutter the thread needlessly. i can personally tell you that if something is utter shit, it will either be deleted or comments or needless posts saying why its shit will be deleted by the mods. this shit is what makes the vr thread cancer and frankly we don't need more threads like that. this shitposting stuff really needs to stop.

fucking move on and leave it be.

this message was sponsored by the OU CC Alumnus Association of Smogon(TM)

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Clone, stop criticizing other peoples' cores unless you post a constructive way to improve them.

brb deleting nonsense

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Adding on to what Clone said above (which I approved), this ain't the VR, so quit shitposting on the thread. I'll deal with the core later, but as a rule of thumb, it's not necessary for everyone to post their opinion on a core, whether it be good or bad. I got better things to do than get spammed by 1 liners.

Out of the 25 posts on this page (including this one), there's only 3 cores and 22 non-core posts with a number of 1-liners making up that 22, so I would more than prefer it be the opposite way around, with people posting more cores and less posts that bash on a core. If a core had major notable flaws, then let the person who posted that core know about it in a friendly way instead of filling up this thread. It helps make the core more effective (which is what we want), and avoids unnecessary arguments. So yeah, just do that and you'll be golden.

Last edited:

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Skarmory and Tyranitar provide a really solid hazard controlling core. Skarmory's set is more a general guideline than anything else, as the exact moveset and spread will depend a lot on what your team can or cannot handle. What's important, though, is Spikes. Skarmory is able to set Spikes against a ton of threats, which notably include Excadrill, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, all of whom are really common right now. Scarf Tyranitar makes for a great partner, being able to Pursuit trap Latias, Latios, and Starmie, who are some of the more common forms of hazard removal right now. Tyranitar's presence forces hazard removers into a bad spot: do you remove the hazards and lose your mon, or do you opt to leave hazards up on a double switch (or in Starmie's case, go for Hydro Pump / Scald burn) in order to avoid getting trapped? This situation can be made even more awkward if you happen to be running something that appreciates the removal of Latias / Latios / Starmie, such as Keldeo (who loves Spikes btw), Mega Manectric, Breloom, and the like. This core generally fits fairly well into balanced teams, or at least teams with a reasonable defensive core, where Skarmory can fit in and isn't punished as much for sitting around.

Replays (also teambuilding ideas)
TheEnder vs. cosine180
CrashinBoomBang vs. ben gay - Skarm is running Stealth Rock over Spikes due to teambuilding constraints but ultimately serves the same purpose.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Gonna drop some cool cores that I've been using.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Work Up
- Hurricane
- Refresh
- Roost

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Toxic

Mega Pidgeot is a really underrated mon in the current metagame, and while it does receive a massive amount of competition from Tornadus-Therian, it still has a niche in 100% accuracy Hurricanes and the ability to be one of the coolest stallbreakers with Work Up. Stallbreaker Mega Pidgeot is a really cool set and the only set really worth using with Mega Pidgeot as it uses what in my opinion is it's best niche over Torn-T. It can break stall really nicely, as it beats common stall mons like Mega Venusaur and even Chansey easily thanks to Roost, Work Up, and Refresh preventing TWave and Toxic from ruining it. Sadly, thanks to only having one STAB move, Work Up Mega Pidgeot can't do too well against offense due to Flying STAB alone being walled by a lot of stuff. Excadrill makes for a great offensive partner for Mega Pidgeot, as with it's Scarf set (which is super underrated right now as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer), it can revenge kill threats like Mega Manectric and Heatran that pose a threat to Mega Pidgeot. It also has a bit of surprise factor, as most people will assume that the Excadrill is the specially defensive set due to not being run on a Sand team, and aren't prepared for a Scarf Excadrill outspeeding their weakened Mega Lopunny or Choice Scarf Heatran and killing it. It can also provide Rapid Spin support for Mega Pidgeot, but it's pretty unreliable at that, making Toxic an option if you run another hazard remover like Starmie or one of the Lati's. Mega Pidgeot also can break down bulkier teams for Excadrill to clean easier, as with Scarf it can't break through certain walls. Good partners for this core include Celebi, who can check Water, Ground, and Fighting types for the core and pass stat boosts to Mega Pidgeot or Excadrill, or be a threat on it's own with a more offensive set. Hazard removers like Starmie are also good partners to remove Stealth Rock for Mega Pidgeot. In particular, Latias can check Electric, Water, and Grass types while also providing Healing Wish support to give one of the two members a second chance at life. Hippowdown can check Electric types and add Stealth Rock support and Sand support, allowing Excadrill to use it's Sand Rush set. Offensive SR Garchomp is also a decent partner for more offensive teams using this core, as it can help break down walls like Hippowdown and Ferrothorn for Excadrill, but it stacks an Ice weakness. Klefki helps check Weavile and helps set up Spikes. And last but not least, Keldeo adds a check to Weavile and Fire-types wile wallbreaking effectively for the two. Overall, this offensive core is a really cool core that can work pretty well in the current metagame, and I hope you like it!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330680255 A replay of the core, I played sort of badly but I was really tired. But yeah, Excadrill helps pressure the opposing team a bit, especially the Mega Mane, and through some lucky Rock Slide flinches, and thanks to a very lucky Hurricane crit, Mega Pidgeot wins the game.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Work Up
- Hurricane
- Refresh
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock
- Memento / Stone Edge / Toxic

Similar to the above core, but this core uses Dugtrio to trap stuff like Tyranitar and Heatran for Mega Pidgeot to run through teams easier. Dugtrio's a pretty cool mon in general, as while it's very frail and is sort of niche, it can use that frailty with Focus Sash and Reversal to really hurt some teams. It also can use Stealth Rock to help support the team, which is quite useful. Hazard removal is very important for the core, as Dugtrio needs it's Sash to be useful, as it dies to any hit pretty much, so teammates like Latias and Starmie are appreciated. Teammates that can bring in the core members through U-Turn or Volt Switch, like Landorus-Therian and Raikou are appreciated as well. Raikou also serves as a good Electric check as well. Something that can check Ice types like Mamoswine and Weavile, who threaten this core greatly, like Azumarill and Scizor, are good partners as well. Scizor can also bring in Dugtrio via U-Turn. Overall, this core is pretty cool as well and I hope you like it!

P.S. You can use AoA Mega Pidgeot with U-Turn to bring in Duggy safely, but stallbreaker is really the only way you should use Mega Pidgeot imo.

Now for the last core!

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Crunch
- Superpower

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Earth Power

I know someone posted a core like this, but it wasn't very detailed so I decided to take a crack at it. Mega Tyranitar is an underrated threat in the current metagame, as it's bulk and cool coverage options make it a big threat to a lot of underprepared teams. Celebi pairs very well with Mega Tyranitar, as it deals with Water, Ground, and Fighting types that threaten Mega Tyranitar, while Mega Tyranitar can also support Celebi by using Flying and Fire types as set-up bait. The set for Celebi is sort of up to your preference, but imo the best set to go with Mega Tyranitar is the Nasty Plot + 2 Attacks set, which helps break down bulkier teams for Mega Tyranitar to sweep. The extra coverage move on Celebi can really help the core with certain threats, I use HP Fire to lure in Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn and bop them at +2 (It also breaks down Skarmory) , but Earth Power helps Celebi break non-Air Balloon Heatran and Bisharp, so it's up to your team and preference mostly. Good partners for this core include VoltTurn users such as Landorus-Therian and Raikou to help wear down the opposing team. Landorus-Therian can also check physical attackers like Bisharp and Mega Lopunny and provide Stealth Rock for the core. Heatran pairs well with this core as it checks Grass types like Mega Venusaur and can provide Stealth Rock support, break bulkier teams with Magma Storm, or revenge kill threats with Choice Scarf. Overall, this is a pretty cool core, and I hope you like it! ;)

EDIT: If you use Earth Power over HP Fire on Celebi be sure to use the normal 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe EV spread since you don't need to make up for the lost Speed IV.

Last edited:
Ill drop something as well.

Mega Diancie+Cm Latios Offensive core

+

Really basic core right here. Pretty much what this core does is bait in steel types such as scizor and ferrothorn for cm latios. This core takes advantage of how diancie's typical switch ins are 4x weak to fire type moves and lures them in. Once these two are removed cm latios can come in and start ripping apart the opposing team now that their ferrorthorn and Mega scizor are gone. In return Cm latios is capable of seriously weakening mega diancie's checks with +1 draco meteors. Another benefit of this core is how cm latios can really pressure stuff like clefable as well as win the cm war against other fat mons such as crocune. Its also nice how cm latios can weaken heatran a bit for diancie which needs to rely on diamond storm for beating it. This is a great offensive core for teams that love having fat teams weakened+ways of putting a ton of offensive pressure on opposing teams. Despite being capable of luring in a removing scizor its still a massive threat to this core however so make sure then when using this core you have stuff like Sd rocky helmet landorus-t or fast heatran just in case. Pivots are really important for this core also as diancie and latios want free chances of coming in. This makes things like rotom-w and scarf landorus-t solid partners. Iron tail AV torn-t gets a special mention here as opposing Mega diancie can be a pretty huge issue for this core. Av metagross also works pretty nice here. Some form of defensive backbone can work wonders here if you want a more balanced team. Tangrowth works well in that case. Choice scarf and specs keldeo make for great partners here as scarf keldeo can revenge threats such as +1 mega gyarados while specs keldeo can also weaken threats further for mega diancie. Checking weavile and bisharp is also nice seeing as those two can prove to be annoying to this core.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Calm Mind

So, this is my first real post on the site since the long break I took (excluding a few PS technical issues I reported). After taking a few months off to focus on a really difficult semester at university, I came back to PS a couple months ago. Since then, I've come across this core, which is an extremely effective one. Normally, I play HO or BO, but I've actually been running semi-stall to test this one. I checked the lists and it doesn't seem to be there, so here it is.

Defensive Core: Gastrodon + Heatran + Skarmory

+
+

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect / Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes / Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Taunt

Gastrodon is not the most common sight in OU (as evidenced by the fact that he's RU), but he does bring a fair amount of utility for teams, thanks in large part to his two useful immunities, and the fact that switching into water attacks gets him a nice boost to Scald, which lets him wear down teams a bit faster. Scald is the attacking move that you'll be using the most, in order to fish for burns. Earthquake gives a Ground STAB, and also lets Gastro have a chance at doing something to CM Clefable. Toxic allows him to poison setup sweepers and more defensive pokemon, putting a lot of pressure on those teams. Recover is pretty obvious, as reliable recovery is never a bad thing. The spread provided above maximizes Gastro's physical bulk, allowing him to take a surprising amount of punishment on the physical side. Don't overestimate Gastro's bulk however. While he can take some punishment, he is not by any means a world-class physical wall.

Heatran is probably the most variable member of the team. By variable, I mean that most of Heatran's sets could actually work here. Which set you use depends on what type of team you're trying to build. For a more proactive balance team, you might want to use something like the offensive rocker set, or the stallbreaker set. I chose the special wall set, because I was going for semi-stall. Also, from my testing, it seems to contribute the most out of the sets to the core. The set is pretty standard, Lava Plume to fish for burns, Toxic to cripple other things, Stealth Rock, and either Protect to scout, PP stall, and stall for Leftovers recovery, or Taunt to shut down other hazard setters and stall mons. Heatran synergizes well with Gastrodon, having a 4x resistance to Gastro's only weakness, and Gastro neutralizing water attacks aimed at Heatran.

Skarmory is another one that has a few different sets that can work. However, due to the fact that, as mentioned previously, Gastrodon is not a great physical wall, the physically defensive version seems to be the best choice. Even then, you have the choice about whether to make it a spike setter or defogger set. Both are very effective, depending on what your team needs. As far as items go, I prefer Rocky Helmet, since Skarm is gonna be your switch-in to most physical attackers, allowing you to pressure them with additional damage. However, Leftovers are perfectly fine if you'd prefer the passive healing. Skarm is what really seals the deal regarding type synergy in the core. It neutralizes ground attacks aimed at Heatran, and provides a relatively decent, though far from perfect, switch-ins to fighting types that trouble Heatran. Gastro and Tran, meanwhile, can neutralize the fire and electric attacks aimed at Skarm If you're running a non-specially defensive Heatran, you could run specially defensive Skarm instead, but you can expect a bit of a drop in terms of how well the core takes attacks.

Add that all up, and you have a core that can cause immense problems for a wide variety of teams. This core can be used on stall, semi-stall, or balance teams effectively. It does have a few weaknesses, however. First of all, Mega Diancie can be a huge pain to the core, thanks to Magic Bounce and a wide variety of coverage that can deal a fair amount of damage to this core. Also, while Keldeo is partially walled by Gastro, the Specs set's Secret Sword deals a surprising amount of damage to it. Often it will come in on Heatran, and leave you in a situation where you have to switch out without know whether it's going to use Scald/Hydro or SS. Running Protect on Heatran can mitigate this, but it's still not a perfect answer. Not only that, but Manaphy outright wrecks this core, having Tail Glow for boosting its special attack to high levels, Scald for smacking Heatran (and Skarm doesn't do much better), and Energy Ball for Gastrodon. There are other checks and counters, but these are the ones I saw the most in testing the core.

Useful partners would include Mega Sableye (for great Knock Off, Will-O-Wisp, and Magic Bounce utility, and for being fairly bulky and being immune to fighting attacks), Clefable (for being Clefable...more specifically, for being a decently bulky mon that can take out fighting types and opposing MSables, serving as a great defensively oriented win condition, or for providing excellent cleric support), Hazard Removers like Starmie and the Latis (if defog is not run on Skarm), Mega Venusaur (for being a bulky offensive mon that provides some extra offensive power while still synergizing well with the main core on the defensive side), and many, many others. Really, there are very few things in OU that can't work fairly effectively with this core. Just make sure you have a win condition, and you're fine.

Sadly, I don't have a really good replay of this core in action, since nearly all of the battles I've tested it in have been marred by being against shitty teams, my opponent deciding to ragequit way too early for the core to be properly shown off, one or both players getting a shitton of hax, or me making misplays with it. Nevertheless, I think this core's synergy is clear enough to stand on its own for the time being. In the meantime, I'll work on getting some good replays with it, and post them here when I do

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text, I got a bit carried away.

Last edited:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast/Signal Beam/Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Calm Mind
+
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

So basically I came up with this like 2 or 3 months ago, when TDK jokingly asked me what i thought his teams were generally weak to. After checking around his replays a bit I came to realize that a lot of his teams p much had nothing for this core. Then i started testing it and realized how deadly it can really be. After zone traps the likely rachi or msciz reuni just goes ham on a shit load of teams, be it balance or offense. Reuni in general is just a pain for a lot of teams at the moment, honestly. Offense generally tries to respond it with some sort of sd mon or dark one, which prob won`t be able to do the job as long as u play ur cards well enough, and a lot of balance ones kinda just lose lol. After seeing ender bringin it in SPL(against tdk, ironically enough) i realized ppl might finally start noticing how strong this can be so just felt like posting. Give it a try! I`m sure it won`t disappoint you.

Bulky Mega Scizor + CM Raikou + Landorus-Therian

+
+

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

This is a simple, probably obvious, and effective core. These three cover each other's weaknesses well and keep up momentum with voltturning. The main point of this core is to take care of Mega Scizor's resists so he can just SD up and BP to victory. Lando is here to kill/weaken steel and fire types (into BP range) and get hazards up on all the switches that are bound to happen. Raikou checks water types that would otherwise destroy Scizor and Lando (Keldeo lol) and also for taking out birds so Lando can use EQ more freely. Raikou is also a backup wincon for those games that Scizor either dies in or has a really bad matchup in. Raikou and Lando are also good for switching into Twaves for Scizor and the rest of the team so you don't have to worry about all those paras.

This core is weak to rain and its partners definitely need to help against that. Mega Venusaur with HP Fire is really dangerous as well. Serperior can be dangerous if it gets boosted up enough. Mega Sableye is pretty strong as he can burn the two physical mons, and the CM set can setup pretty freely against any of the three. I can't really think of anymore right now, but if I do or if you see any, I'll edit them in.

Good partners for this core are Talonflame, Tornadus, Keldeo, and Azumarill.

Talonflame can check mega-Venu which can be pretty annoying with HP Fire, as it can take on unboosted Scizor and +2 sometimes as well. Talonflame also checks Keldeo, in case something happens to Raikou, and deals with Ferrothorn, which bothers the core with leech seed + protect stuff. Talonflame can also deal with Kingdra after it has been weakened a bit. Talonflame wrecks Volcarona too in case it gets a quiver dance up. Tornadus is also an option as it can run Heat Wave and deal with everything Talonflame can in most situations, while also recovering health on the switch from Regenerator. Torn doesn't deal with Kingdra as good as it will have to take a hit in the rain before hitting it, and Torn can only survive a Hydro Pump if it hasn't taken SR or much prior damage that regenerator hasn't recovered yet. Also Torn must be the AV set to take a hit. This also adds another ground immunity besides Lando. Raikou loves this. Azumarill is a great option for a partner, because what team doesn't appreciate a fairy. c: CB Azu is the preferred set to just deal heavy damage and work more towards that Scizor sweep (or the backup Raikou sweep). CB Azu can also deal with Volcarona, help with the the Latis, and take care of Keldeo. Azu is a good counter to Kingdra too. Keldeo is a good option as well as it gives your team fighting coverage to help against dark types, while adding more pressure on steel types for Scizor.

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

A standard M Metagross set. Everything is usual, except maybe pursuit. Pursuit is there to trap Lati@s, which gives keldeo trouble.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

A standard keldeo set. Scald is the main stab move, secret sword is for dark and normal types, h pump is to 2hko and icy wind is to 2hko common switch ins such as lati twins after the speed drop.

This is a really good offensive core. Metagross checks Fairies, M vena, the lati twins which gives keldeo trouble. It is also a fascinating wallbteaker. Thus keldeo can fulfill its role well. Its a good offensive core.

Short Baton Pass Offensive Core

Charizard-Mega-X + Celebi

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Aiming the trend that stall has a rise (tho still not very popular rn) in metagame these days,I figured out this core to take the advantage of its lack of hi-speed pokemon and offensive pressure.
This core itself is quite self-explanation,Celebi's potential threat against bulky Water-Type,Rock- and Ground-Type can provide a good chance for Zard-X to be Baton Passed in,a +2 Zard-X can easily rend many stall or semi-stall team that is not prepared.
Zard-X can run Dragon Dance for more viability against the whole metagame,but in case that Celebi is prevented to BP by Taunt users (such as Talonflame),a DD Zard-X is often well-walled than SD set by stall team.

How Powerful a +2 Zard-X is:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 255-301 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 390-460 (92.8 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 336-396 (87.5 - 103.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Gastrodon: 441-519 (103.5 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 327-385 (85.6 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Weakness:
Fast Taunt Users
(With max Speed investment)
:
They can taunt off Celebi from using Baton Pass to pass SD out,all can safely switch in towards Celebi.
To overcome this disadvantage,a predicted no-boosted Baton Pass to have another teammate in and check these two is quite useful,this works out just like VoltTurn pivot.
A Gliscor without Taunt/Being faster than Celebi can be easily ignored with BP into another physical attacker and choked.

Mega Altaria
& Heatran
:
They can survive +2 Zard-X (Heatran can be KOed by Earthquake),and can both switch into Celebi,which makes them huge threat toward this core.
A second BP target is needed.Beware Heatran can run a Timid Taunt set to prevent Celebi to Baton Pass.
SD Zard-X itself has a tough time to breakthrough these 2 too.

Quagsire
:
It can wall Zard-X quite well,except the potential Will-O-Wisp set.Its switch-in needs no prediction,since whenever it switch in,Zard-X is +0,lol.
The biggest threat against short Baton Pass strategy.

Last edited:
Gonna drop this core for you guys:

Manaphy+Kyurem-Black Offensive Core

Now this is somthing ive been using recently and man is it good. The whole point of this core is that tg rd manaphy breaks a ton of things for scarf kyurem-black. Although despite this a life orb kyurem-black can be run instead. I just run scarf on this core because manaphy breaks stall while kyurem-black Cleans up offensive teams. Anyways this core is great for breaking down slower teams simply thanks to the offensive pressure of manaphy+kyurem-black. One of the main plus's of running splash plate on manaphy is the extra boost in power. With the splash plate scald becomes a 96 power water type attack thats almost as strong as hydro pump! What this does is allow manaphy to break unaware clefable and chansey at +6 in the rain 2hko'ing both. This makes for a great lure because of that. On top of splash plate manaphy can 2hko kyurem-black at +3 without the rain which is pretty huge. In return kyurem-black can pick off the remaining threats with scarf outrage or help wallbreak for a 3rd mon. Overall this is truly a terrifying offensive core. As for partners mega lopunny works fairly well because lop loves a weakened team. Specs Magnezone makes for a great partner hiting really hard and also trapping and removing ferrothorn which otherwise annoys this core to hell and back. Landorus-T makes for a solid partner providing rocks and gives free switch ins to manaphy and kyurem-black. Hazard removal from latios/excadrill is nice here as kyurem-black is weak to rocks.

Manaphy @ Splash Plate
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Here's a core I've been working on. (I usually post cores every 2 days :P but I did some extensive work on this one)

Mega Beedrill (All-Out-Attack) + Hoopa-Unbound + Lead Swords Dance Garchomp
Attack Spam Core

Sets:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage

[Explanation to the Core
]
Let me explain each Pokemon closely and in detail.

Garchomp sets up rocks and offers immediate or offensive pivoting via SD and stabs. Once he dies, I keep up the pressure to Hoopa-Unbound and make dent on teams (and using other mons to make dents). Once theyre done, Mega Beedrill comes and cleans up late-game.

So...
Garchomp (Beginning/ OffensivePivot)
Hoopa-Unbound (Middle/ Mid game wallbreaker)
Mega Beedrill (End/Late game Cleaner)

Weaknesses:
-Fast Offensive Pokemon and Teams like Sand Rush Exca Weavile Mega Lopunny and Talonflame annoy this core.
-Bulky Steel Types like Skarmory and Mega Scizor annoy and may wall and Beat this core.
-Burn RNG annoys this core, like Will-O-Wisp or Scald.

Reccomendations:
-Offer Some more Offensive Pressure while countering or at least checking Sand Offense or Weavile like Azumarill, which can do both.
-Since Steels annoy you, Magnezone can really save your butt from getting walled. Or Heatran (like Magma Storm or Scarf) if Burns are a problem for you.
-Defog isn't necessary but a Ground Immunity perhaps. Pokemon like Landorus-Therian or Latios can offer Defensive Backbone while still attack hard.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a core I've been working on. (I usually post cores every 2 days :P but I did some extensive work on this one)

Mega Beedrill (All-Out-Attack) + Hoopa-Unbound + Lead Swords Dance Garchomp
Attack Spam Core

Sets:
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage

[Explanation to the Core
]
Let me explain each Pokemon closely and in detail.

Garchomp sets up rocks and offers immediate or offensive pivoting via SD and stabs. Once he dies, I keep up the pressure to Hoopa-Unbound and make dent on teams (and using other mons to make dents). Once theyre done, Mega Beedrill comes and cleans up late-game.

So...
Garchomp (Beginning/ OffensivePivot)
Hoopa-Unbound (Middle/ Mid game wallbreaker)
Mega Beedrill (End/Late game Cleaner)

Weaknesses:
-Fast Offensive Pokemon and Teams like Sand Rush Exca Weavile Mega Lopunny and Talonflame annoy this core.
-Bulky Steel Types like Skarmory and Mega Scizor annoy and may wall and Beat this core.
-Burn RNG annoys this core, like Will-O-Wisp or Scald.

Reccomendations:
-Offer Some more Offensive Pressure while countering or at least checking Sand Offense or Weavile like Azumarill, which can do both.
-Since Steels annoy you, Magnezone can really save your butt from getting walled. Or Heatran (like Magma Storm or Scarf) if Burns are a problem for you.
-Defog isn't necessary but a Ground Immunity perhaps. Pokemon like Landorus-Therian or Latios can offer Defensive Backbone while still attack hard.
Protectless Beedrill really struggles to mega v.s. anything tbh given that it is killed by a slap from a feather, so I'd stick it in the fourth slot and slash KOff and Drill 'cause they're team-specific anyway, meaning it doesn't lose any effectiveness in terms of attacks while it gains the ability to actually function v.s. any remotely offensive team (which is the reason you'd use it over another 'mon in the first place).

edit: greninja'd

Protectless Beedrill really struggles to mega v.s. anything tbh given that it is killed by a slap from a feather, so I'd stick it in the fourth slot and slash KOff and Drill 'cause they're team-specific anyway, meaning it doesn't lose any effectiveness in terms of attacks while it gains the ability to actually function v.s. any remotely offensive team (which is the reason you'd use it over another 'mon in the first place).

edit: greninja'd
Then again, Protect less Mega Beedrill is for lategame, not to pivot. Garchomp is my pivot

Hey, so I really like this core, put you'd really be better of running Protect > Drill Run and Pursuit > Knock Off. If you're running Mega Beedrill you pretty much HAVE to run Protect to make sure you Mega Evolve safely and gain your blazing Speed Tier. Pursuit is honestly a lot better than Knock Off if you aren't running Magnezone support since it'd like Shed Shell on Skarm gone, but no Zone is present :( Pursuit is a nice option since it allows you to trap obvious switchout's for cheap damage and to nap lovely damage on fleeing Latios / Gengar so they can't just go to TankLando and you impale yourself on it. Oh and run Choice Band Hoop-U instead. It's jesuss and breaks down a lot of defensive cores for Beedrill. :)
Magic, that's true but magnezone makes this team all the more a staple if u read my recommendations section

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic, that's true but magnezone makes this team all the more a staple if u read my recommendations section
1. Knock Off is bad, really it is. Pursuit is just so much better since you trap shit
2. You don't need both Knock Off and Drill Run. If you struggled with Heatran you can run Drill Run, but you don't. Like Chomp and Hoopa can handle that
3. Protect is necessary. All of Smogon and beyond knows that. Right "here" if you don't believe me

Last edited:

TPP

Head TD
Alright, so thanks to someone for deleting a ton of their posts, just about every core is now a page off and now located a page before from where the link sends you. So now, all of those cores (including ones from the ones located in the previous thread) need their links to be fixed, and I would greatly appreciate some help with that, cause there's 1 me, and a shit ton of cores with links to fix.

Thanks

Edit: Big thanks to Infernal for fixing the links for all the current cores! I'll be working on the old cores, but everything else should be good now :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)