Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowbro is looking like a real pain in the ass. Btw, what do you guys think about Mega Swampert? A rain dance set could be real strong, one turn of setting up to become a beast. I predict him hitting OU, BL at least.

I can see myself sighing loudly and pressing forfeit against mega slowbro much more than I will against mega salamence.

Slowbro has been taking the same steroids as swampert.
I'm personally thrilled to see a few defensive Megas; I feel like GF has been trying their damnedest to make stall unviable as a playstyle, although that's probably useless kvetching on my part. M-Bro could be a problem, but its low speed and S.Def mean that strong special attackers might be able to break it, even after a CM. We might see a resurgence in everyone's least-used Choice item, Specs.

Slowbro is looking like a real pain in the ass. Btw, what do you guys think about Mega Swampert? A rain dance set could be real strong, one turn of setting up to become a beast. I predict him hitting OU, BL at least.
It will be a monster man. Swampert has so much going for it. It will be the star of every single rain team that will ever be created.

- Base 150 attack with rain boosted STAB
- Outspeeds everything in the rain (Immune to T-wave)
- Able to switch moves unlike most rain nukes
- Great movepool
- Incredible bulk + Amazing defensive typing

Definitely a top tier OU threat.

Last edited:
So I was wondering what happens on Showdown if X/Y megas are not transferable and if their stones are not found in OR/AS? Will there be separate tiers?

Maybe that's why there are so many new megas lol
I guess we'll see what happens. It's going to be annoying to play against a thousand teams with M-Mence in them though :/

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was wondering what happens on Showdown if X/Y megas are not transferable and if their stones are not found in OR/AS? Will there be separate tiers?
GF wouldn't do that as it'd piss off a lot of people. The Stone will more than likely be transferable if they aren't available in ORAS.

Megabro won't be CroCune 2.0 they said
Shell Armor will suck they said.

AND WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE THINKING MENCE WON'T BE UBERS?! It is faster than any other dragon ffs. And his Hyper Voice 2HKO MegaSlowbro. I mean come on!

A guily pleasure i had was restalk dd dtail. Who knows if this is posible to abuse with them fairies lurking around.
To be honest, I believe the ORAS meta will shift towards buffs and phazers, maybe your set will work, maybe TW+Roar+Roost, we can't say for sure, still it has to be debated.

The other offensive Megas lack, in my opinion, useful stuff. Coll M-Pidgeot can spam Hurricane outside the rain, but can he deal with undodgeable Stone Edge? Does his coverages are enough to make him at least B? or even OU? M-Loppuny has Fake Out who hits ghosts, that is also cool but has someone made the calcs? We see this 'promising' bullshit everywhere, just look at Electivire!

The non full offense Megas in the other hand seems to be made to wreck the meta as we know, M-Slowbro, M-Steelix, M-Sableye (who may not have the greatest HP but still has the Recover), M-Altaria, M-Audino... I believe this meta will be most cool to play since G2.

All these super powered pokémon... It seems as if 110 is the new 100 lol
All I want is a proper bird mega :'((( do I have to wait until gen 4 remakes??

in any build mence has to carry with Hypervoice/return/double edge, it's coverage is good but kinda limited (u have to sacrifice at least two slots, DDance/Aerilate benefit) this my friends IMO is what saves MMence from Uberland. Yes, he is extremely powerfull but his power comes with cost, u either has to sacrifice your Setup/recovery/coverage to be effective, Mmence is the best example of 4 moves syndrome, u can't make a Perfect reliable/bulk/mixed/great cover mence at the same time, u have to choose one of them.

Example ->

U can run

Salamence
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 152 Atk / 248 SpA / 108 Spe
Naughty/Lonely Nature Nature
- Double-Edge/return
- Dragon Claw/Outrage/coverage move
- Dragon Dance/roost
- Draco Meteor/fireblast/hypervoice/coverage move

ANY options u choose make Mence vulnerable to another set of counters.

double + claw + dance + hypervoice/meteor/fireblast

152+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 174-205 (42.4 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 152+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 261-307 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 152+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 348-409 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
152+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 148-175 (36 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 93-110 (22.6 - 26.8%) -- 33.6% chance to 4HKO

0 SpA Audino Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 236-280 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so either u die from 2 ice beams and deal some damage with return or double edges and dies from collateral damage + ice beam (not considering SR)
Ddance in front of audino is not a safe option too cause he has Encore/toxic/protect Wich mence is extremely fragile. MAudino can safely switch in in many situations and is immune to one of Mence stabs.

D Claw + Dance + return + roost

Now u have some reliability but Mslowbro can switch in and Ice beams the fuck out of u (or even setup with toxic/protect/calm mind) and u just lost the Mixed aspect.

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 144-169 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 240-283 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Salamence Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 80-96 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Slowbro: 165-195 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO (and if we consider the -2 buff it's not a 2HKO, ice beam tho is always HKO).
252+ Atk Salamence Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Slowbro: 92-110 (23.3 - 27.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 4HKO

Yeah Mence can always Switch and Ddances, but this possibility is a lot lower then Mmawile/Mlucario, the type + fragile to toxic/TW/WOW/Sr + rise of Spatk users makes this choice little riskyer.

Mence discussion is not as simples as some people think :)

To be honest, I believe the ORAS meta will shift towards buffs and phazers, maybe your set will work, maybe TW+Roar+Roost, we can't say for sure, still it has to be debated.

The other offensive Megas lack, in my opinion, useful stuff. Coll M-Pidgeot can spam Hurricane outside the rain, but can he deal with undodgeable Stone Edge? Does his coverages are enough to make him at least B? or even OU? M-Loppuny has Fake Out who hits ghosts, that is also cool but has someone made the calcs? We see this 'promising' bullshit everywhere, just look at Electivire!

The non full offense Megas in the other hand seems to be made to wreck the meta as we know, M-Slowbro, M-Steelix, M-Sableye (who may not have the greatest HP but still has the Recover), M-Altaria, M-Audino... I believe this meta will be most cool to play since G2.
Mega Aggron is way better than Mega Steelix in almost everyway, so I really can't see it being used that much

All these super powered pokémon... It seems as if 110 is the new 100 lol
All I want is a proper bird mega :'((( do I have to wait until gen 4 remakes??
Pidgeot is fine. It looks really good for UU and will probably be about as useful as Tornadus-T in OU, somewhere around B rank maybe. Plus Altaria has a shot at being a pretty versatile beastie. I love me some birds too, and the ones we got are solid even if they aren't Salamence or Slowbro quality Megas.

Food for thought:

252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 180-212 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

MegaBeedrill hits damn hard, but is still only a 2HKO on MaxDefMegaBro, even Adamant. Slowbro is insanely bulky and can't be critted so can boost with CM without fear, may make it a little too good for OU imo. Just my two cents.

Don't get me wrong is not like they're super bad, it's just that they're kind of underwhelming... oh well, i'm sure we're bound to get Mega Talon in a couple of years! :D

Can we talk about mega gyarados getting crunch? Will this help or is it redundant coverage?
Every time I have used mega dos (Which I admit is not that much) waterfall, eq, dd and sub/taunt has been perfect. Even on the purely offensive dd set wouldn't ice fang be better for coverage?

Can we talk about mega gyarados getting crunch? Will this help or is it redundant coverage?
Every time I have used mega dos (Which I admit is not that much) waterfall, eq, dd and sub/taunt has been perfect. Even on the purely offensive dd set wouldn't ice fang be better for coverage?
Crunch seems good with mega bro running around but ice fang would be nice for mega mence so... i guess it's up to you

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay so apparently Greninja gets Gunk Shot from tutors... This is pretty big IMO since it completely screws 2 of its biggest checks, Azumarill and Clefable. I don't think a fully physical set will be good at all, however, a mixed set with Gunk Shot may be a possibility. This one move really adds a lot to Greninja's versatility, narrowing down its list of checks making it harder to deal with. Heaven knows how many bulky offense teams I just slapped a SpD Clefable on to deal with Greninja, but :
0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 343-406 (87 - 103%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
What exactly am I supposed to use now, Chansey? Cresselia? I feel like a lot of balanced teams are going to have to stack checks to it which all lose to a certain coverage move, such as using Ferrothorn+Clefable+Mew, since I doubt any Greninja will run Gunk Shot+HP Fire+Dark Pulse. But yeah, this one tutor move really scares me, I don't know if I'm the only one here.

btw in the light of this new info I've revised where I think these megas will land :
MBeedrill : B+/A-
MPidgeot : C-
MSlowbro : A+
MSteelix : Unranked
MSceptile : B+
MSwampert : B
MSableye : A-/A
MSharpedo : B-
MCamerupt : B
MAltaria : A+
MGlailie : Unranked/D
MSalamence : S++
MMetagross : S
MLatios : S
MLatias : S
MLopunny : B+
MGallade : A+
MAudino : D/C-
MDiancie : A-/A

Last edited:
It'll be very limited in use, but crunch will need to be a thing for slowbro and is the best option gyarados currently has for ferrothorn.

Don't get me wrong is not like they're super bad, it's just that they're kind of underwhelming... oh well, i'm sure we're bound to get Mega Talon in a couple of years! :D
The lack of new moves for Mega Pidgeot really is a crime. Keeps it from being truly great, but it has enough to get by. It looks like a decently useful combination of offensive pivot/cleaner and offensive utility. Like Mega Manectric mixed with Mega Blastoise in a Tornadus Therian flavored package. UU will probably make a nice home for it. It hits a good speed tier and hits hard enough thanks to it's high power STAB. Far from garbage.

Okay so apparently Greninja gets Gunk Shot from tutors... This is pretty big IMO since it completely screws 2 of its biggest checks, Azumarill and Clefable. I don't think a fully physical set will be good at all, however, a mixed set with Gunk Shot may be a possibility. This one move really adds a lot to Greninja's versatility, narrowing down its list of checks making it harder to deal with. Heaven knows how many bulky offense teams I just slapped a SpD Clefable on to deal with Greninja, but :
0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 343-406 (87 - 103%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
What exactly am I supposed to use now, Chansey? Cresselia? I feel like a lot of balanced teams are going to have to stack checks to it which all lose to a certain coverage move, such as using Ferrothorn+Clefable+Mew, since I doubt any Greninja will run Gunk Shot+HP Fire+Dark Pulse. But yeah, this one tutor move really scares me, I don't know if I'm the only one here.

btw in the light of this new info I've revised where I think some of these megas will land :
MBeedrill : B-
MPidgeot : C-
MSlowbro : A/A+
MSteelix : Unranked
MSceptile : B+
MSwampert : B+/A-
MSableye : B+
MSharpedo : B-
MCamerupt : C
MAltaria : A/A+
MGlailie : Unranked/D
MSalamence : S++
MMetagross : S
MLatios : S
MLatias : S
MLopunny : B/B+
MGallade : B+/A-
MAudino : D/C-
MDiancie : A-/A
I think Glalie and Slowbro are a bit low while Latios is way too high. I just don't see a reason to use mega latios over the base form to be honest other than a gimmicky mixed ddance set that is outclassed by plenty of current dragons IMO.

Albacore I'm not really sure if Mega Latios will be that good. LO Latios does more damage outside of certain mixed sets, and I feel like the opportunity cost of a Mega Stone is just a little too much there.

Beedrill looks fantastic, frail...however fantastic. Adaptability x-scissor and poison jab is a great combo, along knock off and maybe sd. The only hump I really see him struggling to get over is he going to have to get over is the initial speed boost from mega evolving. Aside from that he sounds awesome.

Last edited:
I think Mega-Glalie is going to be best used as a suicide lead like Froslass is now. Set up some spikes, perhaps smack something with a body slam or whatever and then explode. Also, it's kinda funny to me that NP Cacturne might be one of the best Mega Slow Bro counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)