Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why the standard TG manaphy isn't seeing much usage. With the rise of bulky teams it's fairly clear that it has a good matchup vs common things like slowbro + tran, and its speed is nice in that it eliminates all of the things that speed creep + speed base 70s, along with + speed base 80s. On top of that, it has the versatility to run rain dance TG and rain dance cm, while being able to cover a huge amount of things with its coverage (eball/ice beam/psychic/hp fire if you're style).

Well, I was thinking about using Sylveon instead of Clefable since ir hás a lot more offensive potential bit I'm not sure how to set it. I was thinking about this:

Ability: Pixilate
Item: Leftovers
- Hyper Voice
- Psychock/Toxic
- Shadow Ball/Toxic
- Wish
Evs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Spe

What do you guys think? Is this set good? Should I use Toxic? Is wish really a good move for it? Should I use something instead Psychock/shadow ball? Maybe Calm Mind? I've seem recommentadions about using Baton Pass with Choice Specs, why would that be worth instead just changing the pokémon?

Sorry for the amount of questions, thanks for reading.

Well, I was thinking about using Sylveon instead of Clefable since ir hás a lot more offensive potential bit I'm not sure how to set it. I was thinking about this:

- Hyper Voice
- Psychock/Toxic
- Shadow Ball/Toxic
- Wish

What do you guys think? Is this set good? Should I use Toxic? Is wish really a good move for it? Should I use something instead Psychock/shadow ball? Maybe Calm Mind? I've seem recommentadions about using Baton Pass with Choice Specs, why would that be worth instead just changing the pokémon?

Since you are running offensive sylveon, specs is the best option you have. Wish w/o protect is not very good imo because, it takes two turns. Moreover, without investment, you are not going to enjoy many hits, especially from physical attackers. As for calm mind, cleffable is better imho. However, Specs Sylveon is a nuke and has almost no switchins on offensive teams except for maybe heatran, but it is easy to take advantage of and wear tran down. :)

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

- Hyper Voice
- Psychock/Toxic
- Shadow Ball/Toxic
- Wish

Hidden Power Fire is a must-have if you run a Choice Specs set because it allows you to hit Steel-Types on the switch in. Baton Pass and Hyper Voice are self explainatory in this set. The fourth slot depends on what you prefer using. Be sure to include in the rest of your team, some Pokemon that can deal with Heatran and give a good support to Sylveon.

If you don't run the Specs set just use Clefable because it has better abilities than Sylveon and it can set up Calm Mind more easily than Sylveon does.

Last edited:
Hidden Power Fire is a must-have if you run a Choice Specs set because it allows you to hit Steel-Types on the switch in. Baton Pass and Hyper Voice are self explainatory in this set. The fourth slot depends on what you prefer using. Be sure to include in the rest of your team, some Pokemon that can deal with Heatran and give a good support to Sylveon.

If you don't run the Specs set just use Clefable because it has better abilities than Sylveon and it can set up Calm Mind more easily than Sylveon does.
Why fire and not ground to tackle steel AND poison? Scizor and Skarm too important?

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Why fire and not ground to tackle steel AND poison? Scizor and Skarm too important?
The aim of hp fire is hitting ferrothorn (in addition to Scizor and Skarmory that you've already mentioned). But, as I said, Sylveon's set depends on the rest of your team. You can put Sylveon (with hp ground) + Magnezone, but if Skarmory and Ferrothorn are holding shed shell, you can't KO them so easily.

Forgive my ignorance bit still I don't ser why using Baton Pass, if I was using Calm Mind that would make sense to me, but I'm not, so why should I use it? I'll post my team later when I get to my PC

p2

Banned deucer.
Forgive my ignorance bit still I don't ser why using Baton Pass, if I was using Calm Mind that would make sense to me, but I'm not, so why should I use it? I'll post my team later when I get to my PC
Baton Pass lets you gain momentum, it's like U-Turn or Volt Switch, except it's just non-damaging

Baton Pass lets you gain momentum, it's like U-Turn or Volt Switch, except it's just non-damaging
On U-turn or Volt-Switch you havê an advantage if you're faster, you'll damage tour opponent and place someone that would counter it, but Baton Pass don't do it and would rather be used when passing status boosts, I don't see any advantage of using it instead just switching unless it was supposed to use Calm mind. How is it supposed to gain momentum?

Slower U-Turn / Volt Switch can also be beneficial as you can bring in a frailer Pokemon without having it take damage. Baton Pass can be used on Pokemon such as Celebi to avoid being pursuit trapped. Baton Pass is nice because you can see who your opponent will send in, and choose the according Pokemon to deal with it. With Volt Switch, you rely more on prediction as you have to choose the Pokemon you switch to before the opponent sends in his mon.

Tricking

MALDINI
World Defender
On U-turn or Volt-Switch you havê an advantage if you're faster, you'll damage tour opponent and place someone that would counter it, but Baton Pass don't do it and would rather be used when passing status boosts, I don't see any advantage of using it instead just switching unless it was supposed to use Calm mind. How is it supposed to gain momentum?
Try to imagine this scenario: you put Sylveon against a Pokemon which dies to Sylveon and your opponent has a counter (in the rest of his team). So you are gonna switch predicting him to put the counter. But if you switch and your oppo doesn't, you just get outplayed and you get damage on the Pokemon you are going to switch in. While, if you use Baton Pass with Sylveon, you don't get particular damage if it stays in and you can put a better Pokemon to deal with the switch in (just in case he switches obv). Baton Pass is a safer way to switch for Sylveon.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Say you have your Sylveon in against a Conkeldurr. Your opponent has both a Heatran and a Venusaur on the opposing side. You know he's gonna switch out, but you don't know which one he'll switch to. You click baton pass as he switches out, and you see that he brought out his Heatran. Now you can just go out to your Keldeo, whereas if you were to switch out to your Keldeo directly there's the possibility that he would have switched to Venusaur instead.

Thanks for the comments, now I see how it could be useful, so what set would you recommend? I was thinking about this:

- Hyper Voice
- Psychock / Shadow Ball
- Wish
- Baton Pass

If it helps I can post my whole team

p2

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the comments, now I see how it could be useful, so what set would you recommend? I was thinking about this:

- Hyper Voice
- Psychock / Shadow Ball
- Wish
- Baton Pass

If it helps I can post my whole team
tbh, I'd say that offensive non-specs Sylveon isn't that good and it looks like you're trying to combine 2 roles which just looks really awkward. If you're going with offensive Sylveon, just use Specs and 3 Attacks + BP , otherwise for a cleric I'd rather use something like Clefable, or even a bulky water for that.

But a pastebin of your team would be fairly useful

I've been seeing a lot of discussion of a Tank Garchomp set utilizing Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet.

Could someone just give me an idea how it would be best played? Like, should it be used like Rotom-W as a general defensive tank, or is it usually meant to deal with specific types/some specific Pokemon?

Also, what would be good teammates to CB Tyrantrum and 4 attacks Mega Metagross?

tbh, I'd say that offensive non-specs Sylveon isn't that good and it looks like you're trying to combine 2 roles which just looks really awkward. If you're going with offensive Sylveon, just use Specs and 3 Attacks + BP , otherwise for a cleric I'd rather use something like Clefable, or even a bulky water for that.

But a pastebin of your team would be fairly useful
Here is my team:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/my-first-oras-competitive-team.3528482/

I updated it a lot from the first time I made it.
If you could enlighten me a bit, could I use BP after using a offensive move with a choice specs pokémon?
Is this set good? I think it would be better to discuss this on that post,
but feel free to do the way you want, your response is very helpful to me.

I've been seeing a lot of discussion of a Tank Garchomp set utilizing Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet.

Could someone just give me an idea how it would be best played? Like, should it be used like Rotom-W as a general defensive tank, or is it usually meant to deal with specific types/some specific Pokemon?

Also, what would be good teammates to CB Tyrantrum and 4 attacks Mega Metagross?
TankChomp is supposed to weak physical attacks to punish them. EG U-turn Lando, Fake Out/PuP MLop, Talonflame, it can even switch into pretty powerful attacks eg Gross if you need chip damage to KO

For Tyra/Gross look at this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores-check-post-676.3524713/page-28#post-6089588

Hello, i'm not really active in pokemon right now so I don't know what the current meta is like. But I've been watching SPL replays a few days ago and i noticed that in the lower tiers, Future sight has some usage. Is Future sight/Doom desire viable in OU? I think Future sight might be used to lure whatever steel/psychic/dark (or whatever steel resist for Doom Desire) pokemon your opponent has to tank a 120/140 BP move while tanking another move from your mon that's currently in battle. A set i have in mind is something like:

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Doom Desire/Future Sight
- Flash Cannon/Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/any other special attack you need for coverage
- Healing Wish/thunder wave or another filler

Well, this set takes away that super annoying hax that Jirachi makes but you get a 140/120 BP nuke that is boosted by life orb while Jirachi does not take recoil damage (iirc). I think there's a niche for these two moves.

I don't actually think that Sylveon is better than Clefable, even for the offensive presence. a Snowballing Clefable will always be more threatening than Sylveon, and having a mon weak to toxic spikes/hazards in general (magic guard is too good) in this "kill balanced teams" metagame is not really, specs = lot of hit and run, and you will die really quickly, and you don't want that if it's your only way to check CMSableye.

Now that Mega metagross is staying in OU, what are the next projected pokemon to go on the chopping block? Sorry if this isn't allowed to be asked here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)