Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Mega metagross is staying in OU, what are the next projected pokemon to go on the chopping block? Sorry if this isn't allowed to be asked here.
Probaly Landorus-I as its really good right now, and In know that a few people want it suspected. However, their most likely just going to suspect test mega Metagross again...

So do people consider Magic Guard Clefable objectively better than Unaware?
In my team building process I value more unaware cleff. I leave magic guard if I need a balance check or I don't trust my Scarfers or u turners. Unaware stops cold a lot of stuff and almost no one dares to status a cleff.

Probaly Landorus-I as its really good right now, and In know that a few people want it suspected. However, their most likely just going to suspect test mega Metagross again...
Metagross staying after the test answered the question of "is he unhealthy for the current metagame", so there's no reason to test him again barring a huge meta shift.

Lando-I I'd agree with, just because on top of being incredibly devastating for Stall thing thing isn't dead weight against offense with that kind of power, coverage, and utility moves like RP and Knock Off.

Last edited:
Now that Mega metagross is staying in OU, what are the next projected pokemon to go on the chopping block? Sorry if this isn't allowed to be asked here.
This might be better in SQSA, but there hasn't been much discussion about future potential suspects because most of the things that were considered potentially suspect before the Meta can no longer be considered broken either because of metagame shifts or because we had new toy syndrome. Remember that when ORAS came out, a lot of people were nervous about M-Slowbro.

Regardless, we probably won't be getting back on the suspect wagon again soon, especially because Mega Metagross's not-banning (IMO, you may disagree) substantially raised the bar as regards acceptable power creep in OU and will probably make it harder to suspect things in the future from the precedent it set. It'll take about a month for the meta to settle in any event.

As always, there will be a few niche requests to suspect Stealth Rock and Scald. -_-

Metagross staying after the test answered the question of "is he unhealthy for the metagame", so there's no reason to test him again barring a huge meta shift.
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for later, and that's all I'm going to say about that because I don't want to re-litigate a test that just ended.

Lando is really strong right now, though. Either forme, really, even though Lando-I is ascendant at the moment: they tend to see-saw around S and A+ depending on metagame trends and either can be really difficult to deal with depending on playstyle.

I kinda feel like if SR is ever looked at, the suspect ladder is going to be Talonflame: The Metagame. You have a double SR weakness and you have no way to hit Rock types (except lol Steel Wing and lel Solar Beam), but you're still A+?

Normally it isn't but a short while ago Teeny Victory posted an offensive Doom Desire Jirachi that forces switches with Doom Desire and checking Fairies in the "Next Best Thing" thread. Here it is:

Jirachi @ Leftovers / Iron Plate
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Protect
- U-turn / Wish
- Psyshock / Hidden Power Ground
This set is actually good. Thanks for the link. Gonna try this one if I have the time. Taking almost half of a MMetagross's HP and getting at least 73% from non SpD Mega Sableyes looks awesome. And it's always good to see an offensive psychic that's not totally useless against Scarftar (You'll need mindgames though).

With metagross sticking around as it is, expect to see slowking around a lot. turns out, it's actually an incredibly useful pokemon that, while not filling the role of slowbro is incredibly effective nonetheless. Thanks to it resisting 3/4 of metagross's attacks and being too bulky for grass knot, it takes on metagross extremely well. It also checks pokemon like keldeo and heatran quite well. It's viable as a normal set, with scald/psyshock/twave/slack off, as well as an incredibly cool AV set. The AV actually has incredibly utility in OU, checking strong wallbreakers such as Zard y and Lando I.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 129-152 (32.8 - 38.6%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 156-184 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
it's no passive slouch, with power gem OHKOing zard y and scald nearly OHKOing lando i, not regarding a burn or if you have ice beam. it's not set up fodder either, learning dragon tail to phase potential set up sweepers like subdd gyarados. it's important to note azu and altaria still use you as set up fodder because of fairy typing. with mega meta here to stay, slowking definitely has a chance to earn a teamslot on balance teams.

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
With metagross sticking around as it is, expect to see slowking around a lot. turns out, it's actually an incredibly useful pokemon that, while not filling the role of slowbro is incredibly effective nonetheless. Thanks to it resisting 3/4 of metagross's attacks and being too bulky for grass knot, it takes on metagross extremely well. It also checks pokemon like keldeo and heatran quite well. It's viable as a normal set, with scald/psyshock/twave/slack off, as well as an incredibly cool AV set. The AV actually has incredibly utility in OU, checking strong wallbreakers such as Zard y and Lando I.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 129-152 (32.8 - 38.6%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 156-184 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
it's no passive slouch, with power gem OHKOing zard y and scald nearly OHKOing lando i, not regarding a burn or if you have ice beam. it's not set up fodder either, learning dragon tail to phase potential set up sweepers like subdd gyarados. it's important to note azu and altaria still use you as set up fodder because of fairy typing. with mega meta here to stay, slowking definitely has a chance to earn a teamslot on balance teams.
I agree with this post except for some points. I think it is set up fodder of everything with Substitute that doesn't suffer so much from Water-Type attacks because Dragon Tail is often too weak to break a Substitute. By the way I think it could surely be a nice teamslot in balanced teams (maybe the ones based on Regenerator Core).

By the way Slowking loses to +1 Metagross (if it gets the boost from Meteor Mash) because it gets 2HKOed. While, if Slowking hasn't full HP, it can get 2HKOed if switched in with Stealth Rock set. I don't think that Slowking can be considered a counter of Metagross because it isn't always reliable.

mega
What has everybody found to be a solid response to M-Swampert? I want to replace my Rotom-W with Lanturn so opposing Rotom-W don't give me hell, but that leaves me incredibly susceptible to a Mega Swampert sweep, as I need Azumarill alive at high health to have a chance to revenge. This thing is a monster late game under rain.
mega venu seems like a good response to mega swampert becuase of obv grass resistance and with enough defense investment it can easily handle an eq and OHKO with giga drain

mega

mega venu seems like a good response to mega swampert becuase of obv grass resistance and with enough defense investment it can easily handle an eq and OHKO with giga drain
I can't find the origional post, but If his mega slot is taken already, chestnaught does an excellent job at beating rain teams and sand teams. That niche is very valuable. Chestnaught not only brings spike support, but mega perts ice punch doesn't 2HKO factoring leftovers + spikey shield recovery damage. Meanwhile chestnaught can set up leech seed and Widdle away with spikey shield + leech seed damage to stay healthy, but more importantly, it can stall out precious rain turns. Its the best viable check that comes to mind because it can get worn down if it's your only physical wall, but specifically for mega pert, as well as swift swimmers, bar kingdra, chestnaught is a good answer.

What has everybody found to be a solid response to M-Swampert? I want to replace my Rotom-W with Lanturn so opposing Rotom-W don't give me hell, but that leaves me incredibly susceptible to a Mega Swampert sweep, as I need Azumarill alive at high health to have a chance to revenge. This thing is a monster late game under rain.
here it is. right in the FIRST page.
i guess the newbie who bumped it didn't see that there were a LOT of posts who already cleared this question.

i guess the newbie who bumped it didn't see that there were a LOT of posts who already cleared this question.
Ha, yeah I posted that right at the start of ORAS. M-Swampert ended up surprisingly underwhelming but it definitely decimates unprepared teams. Chesnaught was my go to answer at the time but I find it's naturally covered by lots of glue mons like Rotom-W for example.

I figured with a thread this popular it was a few pages back I checked the last 2 pages. My bad for answering a VERY old question.

Alright am i the only one wondering why mega slowbro isnt used as much? like it is seriously a huge counter to mega metagross and talonflame because it is easily one of if not the bulkiest mega that can do something offensive as well (sit down mega sableye).

Alright am i the only one wondering why mega slowbro isnt used as much? like it is seriously a huge counter to mega metagross and talonflame because it is easily one of if not the bulkiest mega that can do something offensive as well (sit down mega sableye).
0 SpA Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 240-284 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Talonflame's a fair point, but Sableye can use you for set up bait as well (though Slowbro is somehow faster) and wear you out with a guaranteed burn compared to you needing Scald, so that match up could go a few ways.

What do people think about the new buffs Feraligatr brings, and if it could be viable in the new Metagame (Sheer Force Life Orb Boosted 105 Attack) and having access to Dragon Dance.

I was thinking something like:
Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch/Earthquake/Superpower

This thing has ridiculous power and can easily steamroll teams after 1 Dragon Dance Boost, making it a great late game sweeper.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What do people think about the new buffs Feraligatr brings, and if it could be viable in the new Metagame (Sheer Force Life Orb Boosted 105 Attack) and having access to Dragon Dance.

I was thinking something like:
Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch/Earthquake/Superpower

This thing has ridiculous power and can easily steamroll teams after 1 Dragon Dance Boost, making it a great late game sweeper.
I'd definitely run Jolly on DDance Gatr. It's pretty important that you outpace Jolly M-Lopunny and M-Manectric instead of just outright losing to them. Gives you a better matchup against offense overall and the power is compensated with Dragon Dance anyways.

Slowbro is used in balanced/stall where you'd rather have a mega like Venusaur / Altaria etc than Slowbro, regen/lefties is amazing enough to not feel bad about lacking its mega-evolution, the CM set is still viable as a mega though.

I think a lot of people make the false assumption that Slowbro is a Mega Slowbro lite, when that's really not true. Due to higher base defense, Mega Slowbro can afford large amounts of Special Defense investment and still have a higher Defense stat. For some comparisons:

+6 0 Atk Mew Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Mega Slowbro: 134-158 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 0 SpA Mew Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Mega Slowbro: 254-299 (64.4 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 0 Atk Mew Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 0 SpA Mew Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 301-355 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Calcs are totally unreal scenarios, specifically made to show noticable difference in damage dealt to Slowbro. And that's all without getting into all the sets that MegaBro can viably run. Double Dance is a hugely overlooked threat, especially to teams that don't carry Toxic (see, most HO teams). Tanks sets are also sneaky underrated and Slowbro has great coverage between Scald, Fire Blast, Psyshock, Grass Knot and Ice Beam and gives balanced teams a lot of trouble (it can run through Hippo/Gliscor/Ferro/Tran and others with the right 3 move coverage). There's also CM-2 attacks which is a pretty good wincon. Its absolutely brilliant for balanced due to the sheer volume of threats it can check and its versatility (never thought I'd say Slowbro and versatile in the same sentence).

So yes, people are sleeping on MegaBro and you are not the only one picking up on it.

Last edited:
A quick question about the metagame: Has the viability and usage for Magnezone dropped recently? It still seems to be a reliable stop to Ferrothorn and Skarmory, but does it do much more from there? Has it been replaced or overshadowed in any way by Raikou, decreasing its role in the meta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)