Metagame ORAS NU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Montsegur, taken over from Kavatika's original thread here

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the NU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in NU, for the sake of using it in NU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
Some ground rules as well:
  • You must test your set before posting it here. Don't post something just because it "might" work, post it because it does.
  • Include a readable format and description for all sets, explain what it does and why it's worth running in the metagame.
  • Don't post joke or troll sets, this is for serious and competitive sets only.
I'll be archiving sets I think are good enough to be included in the Hall of Fame down below, so make sure your post counts :toast:

---

Hall of Fame:

WishPass Leafeon by Soulgazer
Nonon (Leafeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

one of my favorite set for leafeon (well, for the meta before drops, but i am sure that it can still work). works very well on ~fat~ teams that would like wish support and a cleric, esp. teams with Garbodor, Mantine, etc. stuff that lacks real recovery, but able to beat what would force out Leafeon. there's honestly not much to say about this set besides that its rly underrated and that it works! EVs can be changed, I just need mine to outspeed Sawk but you can lower that to outspeed like 80s or 70s if you want.
Hex Rotom by Finchinator
(Rotom) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hex

This is the Rotom set I've been using on a couple of builds recently (specifically, on my teams vs FLCL for week two of SPL and Cased for week four of SPL) (PS: To those who asked, yes I did lie about the Rotom set I used week two so I could use it again in the future). Unfortunately, it didn't get much time to shine in either of those games, but Vileman and ium can confirm that this set is often effective.

With ground type SR users / special tanks (think Stunfisk, Rhydon, and even Torterra) being so common in the current metagame, having a pokemon that can render them, more or less, useless if things go well is really helpful. The idea behind this Rotom is to bluff choice (specs or scarf), Will-O-Wisp something like Stunfisk, Rhydon, Hariyama, Quagsire, etc. and then Hex them for a ton of damage. At worst, they switch out once burnt or don't take a ton from Hex and are still crippled and weakened while at best, the threat is totally neutralized thanks to Rotom. This opens up a path for some sweepers to clean late game that appreciate these pokemon gone. Specifically, I think Klinklang is the best partner as it cannot do much of anything with Stunfisk or Quagsire still alive, but most teams lack secondary answers to Klinklang and if they have them, then they're not solid counters like these grounds are. Other pokemon that can synergize well with this Rotom (in terms of taking advantage of the pokemon it cripples) are: Zangoose, Scyther, Mawile, and Bouffalant (sure there are others, but these just are off the top of my head). I elected to use Spell Tag (it's a clone of Spooky Plate for those who don't know what Spell Tag does) as it can help bluff Specs with Shadow Ball, bluff Scarf with Volt Switch, and power up Hex/Shadow Ball when I need them to hit pokemon hard enough. I know people like Cased and others have used Sub+Wisp+Hex in the past and I'm sure other variations of Hex+Status Rotom have been toyed around with, but I feel as if this is the best and surprisingly most uncommon variant of it in the metagame, so I encourage people who are curious to try it out and see how it does for them. In the Hide tags below I will post some many relevant calcs to show the effectiveness of this set.
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 174-205 (42 - 49.5%) -- 86.3% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 108-127 (26 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 118-141 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 172-204 (40 - 47.5%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 106-126 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 178-210 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rest Malamr is a bitch, so figured I'd throw this in)
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 109-129 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage (still cannot touch the best Assault Vest user in NU)
Focus Sash + Endeavor Vivillon by Brawlfest
Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance / Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Endeavor

Endeavor Vivillon is the only Vivillon to be using in my eyes. As most of the NU tier knows, Vivillon makes for a great offensive lead, capable of shutting down opponents with the most accurate Sleep Powder in NU, and getting early kills and sweeps in for its team after a single boost, especially with its accurate Hurricane as a STAB. However, Endeavor Vivillon takes this a step further, easily wearing down common threats it otherwise cannot touch such as Regirock or Probopass, opening massive holes for teammates such as Mawile to smash through. Energy Ball can be used over Quiver Dance to avoid having to waste Endeavor on shit like Rhydon. Endeavor really epitomizes Vivillon's ability to cripple the opponent's team in its entirety before the game even begins, and allows one to get the full utility out of a lead Vivillon.
Assault Vest Lanturn by Sweet Jesus
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Hidden Power [Fire]

Lanturn can play a similar role as hariyama even though it packs a lot less power. It's special bulk is slightly better than the already insanely specialy defensive sumo and assault vest also lets this big boy max out his offensive power. While it's special attack is nothing incredible, lanturn's coverage is pretty insane and scald and volt switch secondary effects make it even harder to switch in. The only things that usualy don't mind switching in are toad, quagsire and ferroseed. While lanturn is usualy too weak to make hidden power worth it, a full investment in special attack makes your specialy defensive boss a true pain to properly switch-in.

Hp grass is put first cause you might as well volt switch on ferro, but getting the kill on toad does require prediction as it will outspeed you so if you really want to play safe and your team struggles with ferro you might want to consider hp fire. I guess there's some speed investment that could be worth it but I don't play enough these days to really know what's worth outspeeding in his lower speed tier.

Couple o' calcs

252+ SpA Lanturn Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 288-340 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Vileplume Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 114-134 (29 - 34.1%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 166-196 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Offensive Garbodor by Blastral
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion

Max Attack Garbodor can actually pose as a decent offensive threat and lure while still being a reliable Spikes-stacker. Fully invested Gunk Shot is strong and in particular has enough power to 2HKO even bulky variants of Xatu (252+ Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Xatu: 165-195 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO) as well as 2HKOing stuff like Rotom after Stealth Rock. Explosion is great for just weakening physical walls and luring stuff that would come in for free against Garbo. The set is pretty customizable too: you can run Seed Bomb over either Explosion or Toxic Spikes if you hate Rhydon and Quagsire, and you can run Sash + Weak Armor on a suicide lead, but Garbo's typing is clutch and I like to make use of it throughout the game.
Lead SD Rampardos by Can-Eh-Dian
Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

I've been using lead Rampardos a lot lately on offensive teams to beat Lead Crustles and teams that rely on Xatu for hazard support and this is the set that i've been using. Swords dance is really cool on lead Rampardos because it can put an enormous amount of pressure on the opponent from turn 1, especially against more defensive teams. Adamant is used because you outspeed Jolly Crustle as Adamant Rampardos anyways and the extra attack can allow you to OHKO Regirock at +2 with Superpower.
Mixed Swellow by Brawlfest
Swellow @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Brave Bird
- U-turn / Roost

MixLlow is like my new favorite thing, because honestly in the current metagame Toxic Orb Swellow is simply too easily walled, and Specs Swellow's choice lock will never do. The great thing about this variant of Swellow is that it can abuse its decently powered Brave Bird to bait out amongst one of the most common pokemon in the metagame AV Yama for an easy OHKO after a little bit of prior damage, alongside many other traditional specially bulky pokemon Swellow wouldn't be able to get past. Furthermore, with a Life Orb it still retains a lot of the power Specs Swellow had, but also with the flexibility of running coverage such as Heat Wave or HP Grass to easily pummel through opponents, making it a lot more adaptable to the current metagame and with its blazing speed cutting off a lot of the tier's top threats.

4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 369-437 (86 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Flareon: 220-261 (66 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Swellow Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 363-426 (105.8 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Heat Wave vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 174-205 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Garbodor: 196-231 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Swellow Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 239-286 (57.7 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Electivire by hollywood
Electivire @ Life Orb
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 216 Atk / 56 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Hidden Power Grass

Electivire sounds so good on paper but usually sucks ass in practice. I built around this set a while back because I felt that the metagame wasn't sufficiently prepared for it, and it has lived up to expectations pretty well. Life Orb is basically necessary because running Choice Band doesn't really allow you to utilize Electivire's good coverage, and it gives it a harder time against bulky Ground-types. Life Orb recoil sucks on top of Wild Charge recoil, but there's no better alternative that gives you the same wallbreaking capabilities this set offers.

No Ground-type likes to switch into Electivire. Hidden Power Grass hits Quagsire for 81% minimum and always 2HKOes SpDef Rhydon after Stealth Rock, guaranteed by the 56 SpA EVs. Ice Punch takes out the rare Torterra and obviously has killer coverage alongside Wild Charge. Earthquake covers Lanturn, though few will try to switch in. 236 Speed with a neutral nature outspeeds Timid Mesprit. You can't outspeed Jolly Sawk or Kangaskhan without running a +Speed nature, and 236 neutral outspeeds Adamant variants of both.

Defensive Mega Audino pretty much shits on this set, so be sure to carry something specifically to kill it. You do 3HKO Mega Audino with Wild Charge, but in the process, you'll also basically die and probably won't end up doing much anyways because of Wish/Protect or Rest. Sheer Force Mawile is a pretty great partner because you can lure in bulky Ground-types with Electivire, while Mawile destroys Mega Audino.

Anyways, after about a week of having Electivire in the metagame, I thought it was pretty shit, but now I think it's pretty underrated, at least among good players.
Expert Belt + Taunt Sawk by Punchshroom
Sawk @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sturdy / Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt / Earthquake
- Taunt

I've been having a lot of success with Taunt Sawk lately. It manages to trip up almost every single defensive switch-in to Sawk while leaving them completely open to a number of annoying / dangerous Pokemon that can be good teammates for Sawk. Its most notable trait is denying recovery, which can prevent the likes of Vileplume, Musharna, Gourgeist, Quagsire, and Pelipper from getting off scotfree after taking Sawk's attack and forcing it out. It also thwarts status moves from Weezing and Gourgeist, while also stopping Garbodor from taking advantage of Sawk with entry hazards. While this can put Sawk at some risk, preventing these Pokemon from doing what they want can put yourself in a much more favorable position.

The beauty of Taunt Sawk is that there are a large number of Pokemon that can take advantage of the opponent that Sawk Taunts. The offensive Steel-types, aka Mawile and Klinklang, are eager to set up in front of the now helpless Vileplume, Musharna, and Gourgeist (Mawile resists Foul Play at least), while also covering for Sawk if they do decide to attack instead of heal. Sneasel very much appreciates having the physically bulky Pokemon like Pelipper and Weezing worn down before its sweep, and Taunt Sawk does an excellent job of keeping them that way; Sneasel can also come in on Musharna's STABs (or even Gourgeist's Foul Play if it carries Eviolite) and Pursuit trap, pretty much rendering the target unable to stand up to Sawk later.

Expert Belt is my item of choice. While Black Belt provides a stronger consistent boost to its super powerful STAB move, Expert Belt instead boosts Sawk's coverage moves against their intended targets. Most of Sawk's switch-ins still aren't bothered very much by Black Belt boosted Close Combat anyway, and few neutral targets appreciate a Close Combat in the first place. On the other hand, Expert Belt gives Taunt Sawk even better corebreaking ability than it already has. Calcs:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 144-170 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 170-202 (45.4 - 54%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 115-137 (30.7 - 36.6%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Musharna: 108-128 (24.9 - 29.5%)
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Knock Off vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 146-173 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 202-238 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 180-214 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Many of these KOes would not be attained without the help of Expert Belt: you won't 3HKO Musharna with 65 BP Knock Off, nor can u 3HKO Gourgeist with boosted Knock Off + 2 unboosted Knock Offs (subjecting Sawk to more unecessary damage). Although against the Poison-types, Expert Belt becomes slightly less necessary if one opts for Mold Breaker Earthquake (Black Belt would be the item of choice again).

Taunt Sawk can afford to be more reckless if weakening said threats helps set up your wincons, which is what this Sawk is primarily meant to do anyway; you can even have Sawk die in a blaze of glory if it means damaging said threats beyond repair. You can tailor this Sawk's moveset to your needs as well; this Sawk variant only mildly annoys Pelipper for example, but if weakening it is crucial to your gameplan (ex: SD Samurott), you can slap Thunder Punch on Sawk to sort yourself out.
Lum Berry + Rock Tomb Sawk by Sweet Jesus
Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Tomb

Standard unchoiced sawk with a lum berry over expert belt because sturdy often causes people to want to status sawk since they aren't ohko'ing him (and because the walls that switch into him have loads of status moves).
What's new though is rock tomb over ice punch which was only hitting colbur xatu and eggy. Rock tomb has been doing really well because it brings good coverage in terms of typing (and has good accuracy unlike other rock type moves) but it has this really nice secondary effect that reduces the amount of prediction sawk requires even more. Here's a couple of examples of situations in which rock tomb has been useful for me:

Opponent has a non scarfed missy/haunter/rotom, I have sawk in. Going for any standard sawk move could imply sawk will take big damage without dealing much (if any). Now with rock tomb, I'm sure to come out victorious! If he stays in, the target takes big damage and ends up slower than me. If he switches, whatever is coming in is instantly slower than me meaning I can use whatever move pleases me to KO the switch-in the next turn.

Opponent wants to take advantage that I have a sawk in to roost off some damage with scyther. Well I'm 1 hit away of having your scyther be slower than me which I will then proceed to ohko!

Opponent leads with sash vivillion. Whatever he does, at the end of the turn, vivillon is at 1hp and slower than me (lum berry curing sleep powder and confusion hax from hurricane)

Opponent leads with sash archeops wanting to endeavor me after he sets his rocks. Well not with rock tomb, he's gonna have to switch it out and keep that endeavor for later while my sturdy is still intact (though rocks are up so yeah got to get rid of that for sturdy).

So yeah, generaly speaking, rock tomb is just a great way of breaking sashes, hitting flyings and bugs super effective and playing safe on possible faster switch-ins since after a speed drop, sawk outspeeds everything but a handfull of scarf mons.
Wide Lens + Hypnosis Poliwrath by Karane
Poliwrath @ Wide Lens
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Hypnosis
- Vacuum Wave
- Focus Blast
- Scald / Hydro Pump

I was using this set quite a lot on the ladder when the tier was filled with balanced squads with mantines, pelippers and fast mons like tauros, floatzels etc. One gripe I had with offensive poliwrath is missed every f*cking move when it needed to. So I thought of this set as it provides a cool pivot for offensive teams that usually get rekt by the fast mons above. Hypnosis seems like a bad move to run but you basically get 2 chances to land it as people switch in their counter like mantine/pelipper/garbodor assuming the rest talk set. Hydro pump and Focus blast hit decently hard and vacuum wave checked common things like tauros, floatzels etc at the time. Idk if its that good anymore tho lol.
Future Sight Mesprit by Orphic
Mesprit @ Mind Plate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Future Sight
- Energy Ball
- Signal Beam

This thing is doing so much work for me right now, honestly, it's a lord. Future sight hits so hard, and dark types like Liepard don't switch into much offensive pressure if they attempt to block the Future Sight. Future Sight annihilates physical walls for Swellow, Zangoose, and other physical sweepers. Also people forget that you've set up an FS, and try to boost, then get bopped. It's so much fun, and definitely worth a try.
Miltank by marilli
Miltank @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Heal Bell / Stealth Rock

This set isn't new or creative: it's just really underrated. I've faced this type of set on the ladder many times, always did its job vs me, yet everyone was saying this set's bad. Miltank is bulky as hell and chews hits from a lot of "problem Pokemon" such as LO Tauros, Archeops, 1v1. Before you say this set is passive and shit, this actually doesn't lose momentum at all because of fucking Thunder Wave, which is an OP move. Lanturn doesn't like switching into Body Slams that much, Torterra / Rhydon can't actually do anything back unless they have SD, and almost no Torterra carry SD because they need 2 stabs and Stone Edge to hit Xatu unless CB which obviously can't SD. On more stallier teams u can just carry toxic over twave to speed this process up, but lets be honest twave helps on any team. Also carry a switch-in to fighters / stuff that use fight / dark coverage like malamar. This is the only issue given that these are also a lot of problem Pokemon (Sawk / Malamar, mainly) which i often carry a creative answer for, but many bulkymons need similar type of team support anyways so it's not like this is anything new. If Heal Bell on a more bulkier team, you can safely run RestTalk Granbull for recovery. On a team with more offense, Miltank can carry Stealth Rock which is great because you get to parahax Xatu which is always fun. There's so much this switches into in the current meta, and there's so little that can actually switch in on a paralysis (grounds / electrics / gurdurr / malamar) without being utterly crippled given that the meta is fast. Miltank is a threat, and not just on full stall.

252 HP makes HP even, letting me get more bang for my buck for using milk drink, which i'll be pressing a lot. 16 Speed also outspeeds neutral base 70s, actually put in a bit more speed because a lot of things creep around that, miltank can afford to spare like 20+ extra EVs in speed and still check all the necessary stuff, and going first with a para move really games the odds in your favor in just about everything. Sap Sipper is cooler on bulkier slowteams that can have issues with Lilligant if sleep powder hits every time. If not carry thick fat I guess. I know hollywood's just gonna claim this set as his but fuck him haha.
Toxic Klinklang by Chef Rice
Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Shift Gear

Sup guys I have a cool klinklang set to share with you all. Its pretty much the standard set but with toxic instead of return. Toxic is useful for poisoning Quagsire which is probably the best counter to Klinklang. Barrier Musharnas think they can setup on Klinklang and then they get toxic'd; synchronize doesn't work either because of Klinklang's immunity to toxic.

Last edited:
Samurott @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Modest Nature
252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Scald / Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- HP Electric

So basically I wanted something that lures in Mantine for Virizion and Camerupt, and HP Electric Samurott ended up being a mighty fine choice. I opted for Scald over options like Taunt/Superpower/Megahorn/Aqua Jet, because I wanted chip damage on things like Hariyama, Malamar and Audino, forcing the later two to Rest early is nice as well. This set pairs up really nicely with offensive grass types to help breaking through bulky waters.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in RU, for the sake of using it in RU.
Nice and copypaste.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald / Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

I've taken a liking to bulky Carracosta lately. It is a complete hardstop to most of the Normal- and Flying-type attackers in the tier such as Swellow, Kangaskhan, Tauros, and especially Archeops which people suddenly became less prepared for it for some reason; probably because Archeops checks the two offensive drops, and most Archeops stops in the tier find themselves large Virizion bait. However, Carracosta can fend off Virizion switch-ins with Zen Headbutt, which is a clean 2HKO, deterring future switch-ins and making it easier for teammates to KO.

What Costa offers over other Normal + Flying resists in the tier is Solid Rock, 4x Fire resist, plus its Water attacks which allow it to spread burns / provide priority (especially relevant against Archeops and Fire-types) respectively. Solid Rock allows Costa to comfortably wall the aforementioned physical attackers, with unSTAB Earthquakes simply bouncing off its tough exterior. To give you an example of how hard it walls the mons it is supposed to, unboosted Virizion's Close Combat doesn't even do half (40-47%). And that's not even with absolute maximum physical bulk, which I find to be largely unnecessary on Costa (192 hits a jump point; so does 232 btw but like I said unnecessary), while the extra Special Defense lets Costa take resisted special attacks, such as Scarf Eruptions and Vivillon Hurricanes, much more easily.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Aqua Jet

I don't actually like Shell Smash Carracosta in the meta right now; sure the aforementioned Zen Headbutt allows Costa to take out Virizion which resists its dual STABs but Barbaracle OHKOes Virizion with +2 Cross Chop as is and can outspeed Scarfers so :/. However, Costa does offer a pseudo-replacement for Kabutops which would be dearly missed on Rain teams. Sure, Costa lacks Rapid Spin, the speed necessary to outrun Choice Scarfers, and even less power (since it is forced to run Jolly), but if it is those dual STABs you're after then Costa is still your best bet right now (lol Swift Swim Relicanth w/o recoil-less Head Smash :P). While it is indeed slow, it has enough to outpace positive natured base 113s (which now encompass Archeops and Tauros instead of Serperior) in the Rain, as well as outrunning uninvested base 70s such as Mantine outside of Rain. Since the Rain does not count as a direct stat boost, it allows Costa to launch boosted Waterfalls on even Unaware Quagsire, which would wall the Shell Smash set to no end. While it doesn't completely fill the void left behind by Kabutops, it's still performs well enough in its place.

Last edited:
I mean if you dont use it alreads this is a P decent one.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Iron Head

Great lurer for MegaLix does about 50-60%
I dont know optimal EV spread but this is what I run..

I mean if you dont use it alreads this is a P decent one.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Iron Head

Great lurer for MegaLix does about 50-60%
I dont know optimal EV spread but this is what I run..
Sub knock off for sucker punch. Make ev spread max speed mawiles bulk is already poop

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Guess I've gotten all the use out of this thing that I could possibly ask for, so I'll post it now.

(Rotom) @ Spell Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hex

This is the Rotom set I've been using on a couple of builds recently (specifically, on my teams vs FLCL for week two of SPL and Cased for week four of SPL) (PS: To those who asked, yes I did lie about the Rotom set I used week two so I could use it again in the future). Unfortunately, it didn't get much time to shine in either of those games, but Vileman and ium can confirm that this set is often effective.

With ground type SR users / special tanks (think Steelix, Seismitoad, Rhydon, Camerupt and even Torterra) being so common in the current metagame, having a pokemon that can render them, more or less, useless if things go well is really helpful. The idea behind this Rotom is to bluff choice (specs or scarf), Will-O-Wisp something like Steelix, Seismitoad, Rhydon, Hariyama, Quagsire, etc. and then Hex them for a ton of damage. At worst, they switch out once burnt or don't take a ton from Hex and are still crippled and weakened while at best, the threat is totally neutralized thanks to Rotom. This opens up a path for some sweepers to clean late game that appreciate these pokemon gone. Specifically, I think Klinklang is the best partner as it cannot do much of anything with Steelix, Seismitoad, or Quagsire still alive, but most teams lack secondary answers to Klinklang and if they have them, then they're not solid counters like these grounds are. Other pokemon that can synergize well with this Rotom (in terms of taking advantage of the pokemon it cripples) are: Zangoose, Scyther, Sneasel, Mawile, and Bouffalant (sure there are others, but these just are off the top of my head). I elected to use Spell Tag (it's a clone of Spooky Plate for those who don't know what Spell Tag does) as it can help bluff Specs with Shadow Ball, bluff Scarf with Volt Switch, and power up Hex/Shadow Ball when I need them to hit pokemon hard enough. I know people like Cased and others have used Sub+Wisp+Hex in the past and I'm sure other variations of Hex+Status Rotom have been toyed around with, but I feel as if this is the best and surprisingly most uncommon variant of it in the metagame, so I encourage people who are curious to try it out and see how it does for them. In the Hide tags below I will post some many relevant calcs to show the effectiveness of this set.

252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 153-181 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Steelix: 213-252 (60.1 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 94-112 (26.5 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Steelix: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 243-286 (60.5 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 178-210 (44.3 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 150-177 (37.4 - 44.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Seismitoad: 109-130 (27.1 - 32.4%) -- 60.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 174-205 (42 - 49.5%) -- 86.3% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 108-127 (26 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 118-141 (29.9 - 35.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 193-228 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 172-204 (40 - 47.5%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 106-126 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 178-210 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rest Malamr is a bitch, so figured I'd throw this in)
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 109-129 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage (still cannot touch the best Assault Vest user in NU)

I know, its a thing from the past, but it still works pretty nicely:

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

The set is pretty self-explanatory, since it now is part fairy, its defensive typing is even better and with intimidate it should be easily able to set up a Substitute or a Swords Dance. Paired with some capable sweepers, it will work just fine. In NU the things, that like to switch in to mawile are for example Mega- Steelix, Mega- Camerupt, Quagsire, Seismitoad, Weezing and some more. Some bulky sweepers like Torrtera, Virizion, Hariyama or Feraligatr are decent receivers, but it depends on your team- structure. Hyper Cutter would be an option, if there were some Intimidate- users, that usually switch in on mawile (it has been a while since I saw someone use defensive qwilfish), but as long as thats not the case, Intimidate works a lot better.

Not a true NU mon, but definitely viable in this tier. I present, for your enjoyment:

Turbo Flarebae

Flareon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Flare Blitz
- Double-Edge
- Superpower
- Iron Tail/Filler

Pros:
  • Outspeeds common fast LO/non-scarf users like Heliolisk, Virizion, Typhlosion, and others.
  • Flash Fire provides safe switch in on monsters like Typhlosion, Ninetales, Megarupt, and more.
  • Has above average SpD, meaning it can take a switch on non-super effective/non STAB hits.
Cons:
  • OHKOing doesn't happen often, but SR damage goes a long way, and the high speed surprises most, meaning a second hit is often possible.
  • Can't take a phys hit at all. Especially STAB or supper effective.
  • Doesn't outspeed a lot of the common scarfers, like Sawk.
  • No switch initiative is limiting.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Confirmed Can-Eh-Dian alt.

I'd recommend running Baton Pass in the last slot as a way to gain momentum, pseudo volt switch.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Seismitoad @ Life Orb | Swift Swim
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest
Hydro Pump | Earth Power | Sludge Wave | Rain Dance

Swift Swim Seismitoad is really good in this metagame. Under rain, not much outspeeds it, and its coverage is good against the majority of the tier. Sludge Wave 2HKOs offensive Virizion, so if you catch it on the switch, it can't switch back in and live a hit under rain. Basically, it's an offensive Water-type that can beat Heliolisk and Virizion. Warning: Sludge Wave only does 45% to AV Ludicolo.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When I've used Seismitoed with Swift Swim in Rain; I find that it benefits more from having HP Grass in the final slot, and have Rain support provided for it (Liepard + Damp Rock for example). I've also found myself using SR in the last slot too - granted it was the only thing that could set rocks up and not die on that particular team. Which provided me with mindgames and avoid it becoming obselete once rocks went on the field.

@ Below - I didn't even realise it got grass knot :I

Last edited:

Quagsire @ Choice Band / Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb / Unaware
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Recover

I showcased offensive tank Quagsire for the first time in my 1k RMT, but honestly its utility spans far beyond a gimmick. I've used this set consistently on even serious teams as an amazing tank on bulky offensive and balanced teams, that hits surprisingly hard with its powerful coverage. Unlike Seismitoad, Quagsire can viably run a Choice Banded set due to its access to Waterfall, a key STAB move that lets Quagsire fully abuse its amazing offensive typing. Furthermore, it has far better bulk and access to recovery, making a tank set viable especially alongside Unaware, making for great threat check on bulkier teams that don't want to lose out on offensive presence. This set can also bait in and KO a lot of common threats. With a choice band equipped, it will be OHKOing Mantine with Stone Edge, 2HKOing Vileplume after rocks, 2HKOing MegaLix, 2HKOing Hariyama, and even can go as far as winning versus CroDino 1v1 due to its ability to 3HKO while outspeeding.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance / Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Endeavor

Endeavor Vivillon is the only Vivillon to be using in my eyes. As most of the NU tier knows, Vivillon makes for a great offensive lead, capable of shutting down opponents with the most accurate Sleep Powder in NU, and getting early kills and sweeps in for its team after a single boost, especially with its accurate Hurricane as a STAB. However, Endeavor Vivillon takes this a step further, easily wearing down common threats it otherwise cannot touch such as Mega Steelix or Probopass, opening massive holes for teammates such as SD Virizion or Mawile to smash through. Energy Ball can be used over Quiver Dance to avoid having to waste Endeavor on shit like Rhydon. Endeavor really epitomizes Vivillon's ability to cripple the opponent's team in its entirety before the game even begins, and allows one to get the full utility out of a lead Vivillon.

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Natural Gift
- Dragon Dance

Approved by Dat Blast as a true basedlord set. We all know that Rindo Berry Feraligatr is already a great mon, but honestly this takes full advantage of it. Not only does it still get the full use out of Rindo Berry when Natural Gift is unneeded to easily set up on grass types trying to take advantage of it like Virizion or Lilligant, but furthermore it gives Feraligatr a 80 BP Physical Grass Attack. This not only takes a huge chunk off of Quagsire leaving it susceptible to a kill from Waterfall, but lets Feraligatr smash opposing water types that it normally cannot get past such as Seismitoad, Poliwrath, and other Feraligatrs. Dragon Dance Gatr is actually better than SD in the current metagame as it helps you get past shit like Heliolisk, Jynx, and Virizion, and to be honest the priority Aqua Jet is kind of unneeded in the current fast paced game with little priority.

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Natural Gift
- Dragon Dance

Approved by Dat Blast as a true basedlord set. We all know that Rindo Berry Feraligatr is already a great mon, but honestly this takes full advantage of it. Not only does it still get the full use out of Rindo Berry when Natural Gift is unneeded to easily set up on grass types trying to take advantage of it like Virizion or Lilligant, but furthermore it gives Feraligatr a 80 BP Physical Grass Attack. This not only takes a huge chunk off of Quagsire leaving it susceptible to a kill from Waterfall, but lets Feraligatr smash opposing water types that it normally cannot get past such as Seismitoad, Poliwrath, and other Feraligatrs. Dragon Dance Gatr is actually better than SD in the current metagame as it helps you get past shit like Heliolisk, Jynx, and Virizion, and to be honest the priority Aqua Jet is kind of unneeded in the current fast paced game with little priority.
Was too lazy to post this

But isnt sd > dragon dance, i dont think +1 ice punch ohkoes heliogod, and u already beat virizion with ur berry

Was too lazy to post this

But isnt sd > dragon dance, i dont think +1 ice punch ohkoes heliogod, and u already beat virizion with ur berry
no because if you go sd you dont get ice punch lel

also who gives a fuck if you OHKO helio that thing is always worn down anyways

Last edited:

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Natural Gift
- Dragon Dance

I run a similar set with 164 speed and the rest dumped into hp- out speeds everything up to base 110, as there's not too much that can threaten it past that and the extra bulk is nice.

I also run liechi berry over rindo for a few reasons- an extra 20 base power for near ohkos on quagsire to avoid scald burns and an extra boost to attack should ground waters already be sufficiently weakened. The extra bulk plus liechi berry means that not only can you often get off an extra Dd, but an extra attack boost and torrent range, and a plus 2 speed plus 3 attack torrent Gatr eats souls. Liechi gatr is more offensive whilst rindo is more defensive

How bad does specially defensive kecleon sound?

Protean, careful nature @ leftovers
252 Hp, / 252 SpDef / 4 Def
Drain Punch
Recover
Thunder Wave / Toxic
Stealth Rock / Shadow Sneak (for protean shenanigans)

Thoughts?

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Hidden Power [Fire]

Lanturn can play a similar role as hariyama even though it packs a lot less power. It's special bulk is slightly better than the already insanely specialy defensive sumo and assault vest also lets this big boy max out his offensive power. While it's special attack is nothing incredible, lanturn's coverage is pretty insane and scald and volt switch secondary effects make it even harder to switch in. The only things that usualy don't mind switching in are toad, quagsire and ferroseed. While lanturn is usualy too weak to make hidden power worth it, a full investment in special attack makes your specialy defensive boss a true pain to properly switch-in.

Hp grass is put first cause you might as well volt switch on ferro, but getting the kill on toad does require prediction as it will outspeed you so if you really want to play safe and your team struggles with ferro you might want to consider hp fire. I guess there's some speed investment that could be worth it but I don't play enough these days to really know what's worth outspeeding in his lower speed tier.

Couple o' calcs

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 110-130 (28 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Lanturn Hidden Power Grass vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 240-284 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Lanturn Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 288-340 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Vileplume Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 114-134 (29 - 34.1%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 166-196 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Sad thing momo ain't in the tier this gen cause it would have been a cool combo. (miss you with all my
)

Last edited:
snuggle n dash (Rapidash) @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Low Kick
- Solar Beam
This rapidash is pretty damn legit as a lure. The obligatory flareblitzwildcharge aka recoilcity combo is good for switch ins like mantine and samurott and shit but thats just standard shit for your dash. the real lure is in power herb beam for bulky ground types. It may seem dumb at first because why not just run hp grass, but the thing is that solar beam will kill something that switches in, takes damage, then dies to grass move whereas hp grass doesnt get kills. low kick is simply for hariyama, and while i could run wisp and stuff i just want major damage done to yama since it can switch in on flare blitz allll day. low kick can also kill sneasel without taking recoil, and after a power herbremoval sneasel cant kill you with knock off while you ohko it. drill run may seem better for camel and fire types but low kick does more damage to the stuff it needs to hit, drill run does terrible damage. this set is realy just for hitting something hard withblitz/kick and then finishing it off with your solar beam.
8 SpA Rapidash Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 360-428 (86.9 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after low kick prediction for switch thats a kill
252 Atk Sneasel Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash (no item): 115-136 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO does nothing to you and you can ko with lowkick, which forces sneasel out every time
248 Atk Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 71-84 (17.1 - 20.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery plus the
8 SpA Rapidash Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 368-436 (88.8 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO means that seis cant switch into flareblitz plus solarbeam
248 Atk Rapidash Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 164-194 (38.2 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO it doesnt do that much but its just nice damage
248 Atk Rapidash Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 186-220 (56.1 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO not gonna lie kinda disapoint
8 SpA Rapidash Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 234-276 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO plus the
248 Atk Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sandslash: 151-178 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
8 SpA Rapidash Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 408-484 (103.5 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248 Atk Rapidash Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 292-348 (87.4 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock if they dont know you have wild charge I guess
you dont realy need to know other flareblitz and wild charge damages since low kick and solar beam are the main point of the set.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion

Max Attack Garbodor can actually pose as a decent offensive threat and lure while still being a reliable Spikes-stacker. Fully invested Gunk Shot is strong and in particular has enough power to 2HKO even bulky variants of Xatu (252+ Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Xatu: 165-195 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO) as well as 2HKOing stuff like Rotom after Stealth Rock. Explosion is great for just weakening physical walls and luring stuff that would come in for free against Garbo (especially Camerupt, which is straight OHKOed after like any prior damage). The set is pretty customizable too: you can run Seed Bomb over either Explosion or Toxic Spikes if you hate Rhydon and Seismitoad, and you can run Sash + Weak Armor on a suicide lead, but Garbo's typing is clutch and I like to make use of it throughout the game.

Time to innovate the metagame...

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spa
Bold Nature
- Heal Block
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Heal Block is really cool, and so far I think it's unheard of to use it. Heal Block lets you beat Mega Audino, preventing its wishes so it can't heal other teammates and prevents it from resting. The combination of Psyshock and Calm Mind lets you beat CM mega Audino and Xatu. Being able to beat Xatu and get up rocks is really cool since not many NU stealth rockers can get past Xatu. Heal Block can prevent some moves that would otherwise be really annoying to Claydol, such as Giga Drain. Pokemon like Vileplume, Tangela, Cradily, and Lilligant could normally do a lot of damage to Claydol. In Lilligant's case, Claydol can take a Giga Drain if it needs to, I thought this was worth mentioning since Lilligant is faster. Heal Block can prevent leech seed from healing the opponent (unfortunately you still take damage), which is useful for keeping Ferroseed low on health. I find this set works well on offensive teams who struggle with mega Audino. You could use Signal Beam for dark types or Rapid Spin instead of Stealth Rock, but meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)