Project ORAS OU Core-Building Competition (Round 12 - Setup Spam - Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BULKY TRICK ROOM

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp / Yawn

Cresselia (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Trick Room

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind / Baton Pass

This trick room core is based around Mega-Camerupt's ability to 2HKO pretty much everything and Cresselia's disturbing amount of bulk. The core has amazing defensive synergy, with each member's weakness resisted by another, save for m-rupt's 4x weakness to water and Cresselia's ghost weakness.
There are very very few things that can switch in on mrupt without getting 2HKO by fire blast and earth power. Ancient power is there for banded talonflame and balloon heatran on the switch. The last slot cripples bulky waters and forces a switch (in the case of yawn). I see some people use HP grass, but it really isn't necessary when this is possible:
252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: (42.9 - 50.4%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery... that's fat rotom.

Cresselia clearly is about as passive as you can get, but it is stupidly hard to take out. In this core it acts as the setter. These EVs stop avoid the OHKO from banded hoopa-u after burn damage, letting you burn it back. You obviously don't need this kind of bulk, but that is the upper limit. Can certainly move some back into SpD. I don't know how much experience everyone has against the RestTalk psychoshift set, but it transfers burn to physical attackers, and can transfer sleep status after a rest. A real PITA to take out.

Sylveon acts as either the cleric or a win condition depending on whether CM or baton pass is run in the last slot. Physically defense sylveon is deceptively fat and wont be OHKO'd by any scizor variant, letting it freely wish. Once steel/poison/fire is out of the way (which camerupt handles excellently), sylveon is free to boost with CM. If you are adventurous, you could drop protect and hope to pass CM to Mrupt.

Take a look at the defensive synergy here:
Camerupt
weaknesses: Water, Ground
resistances: Fire, Bug, Steel, Poison, Fairy, Electric (I),
Sylveon
Weaknesses: Steel, Poison
Resistances: Fighting, Dark, Bug, Dragon (I)
Cresselia
Weaknesses: Dark, Ghost, Bug
Resistances: Psychic, Fighting, ground (I)

Water and ghost are the only types not covered by a member of the core. Keldeo, unless it is specs, gets set up on by sylveon. Physical waters, can be burned by both camerupt and cress. Gengar is a threat to this core, so something like bulky ttar would be an awesome teammate.

Can I do two cores? Also want to do the offense tr of Hoopa-c, meloetta, pangoro...
I'm going to go ahead an include the second core here. Feel free to just discount it if only one core/round is allowed.

SPOOKY OFFENSIVE TR

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice / U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Hoopa @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot / Psyshock

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot / SD

This is an offensive trick room core that is also a Dark-Psychic-Fighting-Ghost core. Each of these pokemon hit stupidly hard and have great offensive and defensive synergy. Things to note are the two psychic TR setters in Hoopa and Meloetta. It might appear that this leaves you very vulberable to dark types, but it at worst a 50-50 for the TR setter. Consider: you have meloetta/hoopa in against some fodder; opponent switches to pursuit trapper as you TR; opponent dies to focus blast. If you see a sucker punch coming instead, switch to Pangoro. Sucker punch user is now dead.

Hoopa
Depending on the rest of you team, you can choose to set this up as what I like to call a suicide TR user. Against something relatively passive, click Nasty Plot, then, click TR. Congrats you win. If this isn't to your liking, run life orb over sitrus, and use psyshock instead of NP. Hoopa has solid special defenses that allow it to force out something like keldeo. As a ghost, hoopa switches in on the fighting attacks directed at pangoro, and can spin block (and force out) starmie.

Meloetta
Meloetta is a bulky version of hoopa, that is actually able to set up TR in the face of gengar. Without u-turn, it is hard walled by sableye, so it may be wise to forgo hyper voice or psyshock to let you pivot into pangoro in this case.

Pangoro
Pangoro is a sweet pokemon that just smashes through teams under trick room. Scrappy is preferred over its other abilities, so that you can hit mega sableye. Gunk shot lets it plunder fairies. You could run super power or drain punch over hammer arm, but the "speed boost" is nice, and the damage over 2 turns is roughly the same as SP. As with meloetta, pangoro can also act as an awesome pivot under TR. With based-parting-shot, you can gain lots of momentum, switching into hoopa or meloetta to take a fighting or fairy attack directed your way. SD is an option, too, but you might want to use lum berry in that case to stop prankster will-o from the inevitable sableye switch.

This core is heavily pressure by talonflame and other strong priority, but what trick rooms teams aren't? Something to deal with fairies and some hazard setting would be nice. Perhaps chomp + magnezone for partners?

Some stupid replay that shows how silly Hoopa is under TR
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-256877463

Last edited:
First time doing this, so please be merciful...

Taking Cofagrigus + M-Heracross

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Cofagrigus checks troublesome mons like Azumarill, M-Altaria, Talonflame and others by temporarily getting rig of their abilities or simply burning them, if possible, (it's also particularily hilarious to see Cofa eat up M-Lopunny's Fake Out before forcing it to switch out) for M-Heracross and can set up Trick Room, letting M-Heracross pave the way for an eventual sweep by another teammate (or even Cofagrigus itself). In return, M-Heracross checks Dark-types like Bisharp, T-Tar and Weavile for Cofagrigus while beneficiating from its Trick Room due to its lowered speed after MegaEvolving.

This is the only potent replay I got for now (viva la low ladder loca).
Thanks again DennisEG for building this team for me!!! Ü

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-320020448

Last edited:

Infernal

Banned deucer.

This core focuses on supporting Crawdaunt with Diancie and Cresselia.

Diancie's bulk allows it to set up TR reliably on many Pokemon. From there, it can do a few things. One is SR, which can sometimes be a little difficult to fit on TR teams. The other is Explode and provide a free switch in opportunity for one of your heavy hitters, like Crawdaunt here. This all aside, one thing separating Diancie from other TR setters is the ability to take on Talonflame. Between Taunt to mess with most TR setters and Brave Bird to bypass the effects of the move, Talon can be annoying to deal with for teams reliant on the strategy. As such, having a good response to the bird is crucial, and Diancie does the job well.

As stated above, after Diancie sets up TR, Explosion can be used. From there, you have the chance to bring in Crawdaunt for free and start ripping things apart. Crawdaunt is one of the most dangerous threats under TR and takes advantage of its effects well with its low speed and crazy power. There isn't a whole lot that enjoys taking a Knock Off or Crabhammer, and because of this you are able to pressure a good amount of teams once Crawdaunt is in. While TR is known to fare well against offense, it can sometimes struggle against more defensively oriented teams. That's another place Crawdaunt comes in handy as a TR sweeper, threatening these archetypes nicely. In sum, Crawdaunt wrecks stuff.

Things like Mega Venu are annoying for the two guys above. Cress helps with this issue and provides the core with another TR setter. Like Diancie, she is ridiculously bulky and sets TR reliably on the majority of things. Lunar Dance is really helpful to heal Crawdaunt back up and provide it with yet another free switch in opportunity to beat things up again. The tendency Cress has to lure in pkmn Crawdaunt can take advantage of, like Tar and Weavile, is also cool. Other than that, Cresselia's role is pretty self explanatory and she does it well.
Diancie @ Normal Gem
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Diamond Storm

I prefer Normal Gem, but Mental Herb is definitely an option over it.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Lunar Dance

I chose HP Fire Cresselia because Mega Scizor is one of the biggest threats to this core, and punishing it for trying to set up is key. I prefer Modest over Quiet for this reason, being faster than bulky Mega Scizor and 2HKOing back (50.1 - 59.4%). Having a -Spe nature isn't entirely necessary as Cresselia is slower than most things under TR and still able to Lunar Dance/TR reliably. Weakening Ferrothorn is also really helpful for Crawdaunt and because of how annoying the thing can be for this core otherwise.

Last edited:
Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Trick Room
- Memento

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Return

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room
Step 1: click Trick Room
Step 2: click Memento
Step 3: click Belly Drum
Step 4: watch things die

Prankster taunt prevents other taunt users ruining our day, plus prevent hazards, status etc., encore to lock a mon into recovery or setup move for even easier setup, memento to give Azu a free switch into a -2/-2 opponent for setting up. Once set-up, Azu has 2 turns left of boosted speed which usually means it's taking out 2 mons minimum, and aqua jet means it can continue the sweep after TR has worn off, as well as out-prioritising the likes of Talonflame under TR. Knock off is standard coverage and hits Ferrothorn, whereas return lures M-Venu. Victini completes a FWG core and deals with the mons which Azu can't always handle such as the aforementioned Ferro or Venu depending on the coverage move. It provides a secondary TR setter, wallbreaker, and cleaner - V-create is a literal nuke, plus, it effectively boosts speed under TR for cleaning purposes. Both Azu and Tini can perform wallbreaking and sweeping roles, they also have great offensive and defensive synergy and as such pair extremely well together.

Subjugator

Banned deucer.

This core may not seem very viable, but hear me out.I think that Exploud and Reuniclus have awesome synergy with each other, as Reuniclus has the bulk to set up Trick Room reliably, as well as absorbing most forms of status. Reuniclus checks many Fighting Types, and with Trick Room in effect, it can outspeed and pick the majority off with Psychic. Reuniclus has trouble with Dark, Ghost, and Bug Types, enter Exploud. Exploud is a pretty underrated Pokemon that uses its wide movepool and awesome power to defeat Ghost Types with Scrappy, as well as brutally injuring many of the Bug and Dark Types.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Speed
- Boomburst
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower/Surf

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Recover
-Shadow Ball

Thanks again to all submissions this week. Before we get on with the voting, I'd like to announce that -Magic- (formerly KidMagic) and gamer boy will be co-hosting the thread with me, which along with helping me when I'm busy will make sure that the themes are fresh and original every week! We will also start being a bit stricter with the requirements on the cores so just a heads up.

With that said, let voting commence! As usual you can vote for one or two cores, voting will end in approximately 2 days and gamer boy will be posting the next round. Good luck to all!

Core 1

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Heracross @ Heracronite
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
Nice Trick Room core. Offensive Trick Room Reuinclus is very good in such as fast paced metagame and can really turn the tides of a battle itself. It struggles with Dark-types seeing as how Bisharp can just use Sucker Punch to bypass Trick Room and some Dark-types have beneficial secondary typing to not auto-lose to Focus Blast. Or you could miss. So Mega Heracross is a devestating Wallbreaker under Trick Room and hits savagely hard. It also helps out with its weakness to Dark-types.

Core 2

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp / Yawn

Cresselia (F) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Trick Room

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind / Baton Pass
This trick room core is based around Mega-Camerupt's ability to 2HKO pretty much everything and Cresselia's disturbing amount of bulk. The core has amazing defensive synergy, with each member's weakness resisted by another, save for m-rupt's 4x weakness to water and Cresselia's ghost weakness.
There are very very few things that can switch in on mrupt without getting 2HKO by fire blast and earth power. Ancient power is there for banded talonflame and balloon heatran on the switch. The last slot cripples bulky waters and forces a switch (in the case of yawn). I see some people use HP grass, but it really isn't necessary when this is possible:
252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: (42.9 - 50.4%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery... that's fat rotom.

Cresselia clearly is about as passive as you can get, but it is stupidly hard to take out. In this core it acts as the setter. These EVs stop avoid the OHKO from banded hoopa-u after burn damage, letting you burn it back. You obviously don't need this kind of bulk, but that is the upper limit. Can certainly move some back into SpD. I don't know how much experience everyone has against the RestTalk psychoshift set, but it transfers burn to physical attackers, and can transfer sleep status after a rest. A real PITA to take out.

Sylveon acts as either the cleric or a win condition depending on whether CM or baton pass is run in the last slot. Physically defense sylveon is deceptively fat and wont be OHKO'd by any scizor variant, letting it freely wish. Once steel/poison/fire is out of the way (which camerupt handles excellently), sylveon is free to boost with CM. If you are adventurous, you could drop protect and hope to pass CM to Mrupt.

Take a look at the defensive synergy here:
Camerupt
weaknesses: Water, Ground
resistances: Fire, Bug, Steel, Poison, Fairy, Electric (I),
Sylveon
Weaknesses: Steel, Poison
Resistances: Fighting, Dark, Bug, Dragon (I)
Cresselia
Weaknesses: Dark, Ghost, Bug
Resistances: Psychic, Fighting, ground (I)

Water and ghost are the only types not covered by a member of the core. Keldeo, unless it is specs, gets set up on by sylveon. Physical waters, can be burned by both camerupt and cress. Gengar is a threat to this core, so something like bulky ttar would be an awesome teammate.

Core 3

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice / U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Hoopa @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot / Psyshock

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot / SD
This is an offensive trick room core that is also a Dark-Psychic-Fighting-Ghost core. Each of these pokemon hit stupidly hard and have great offensive and defensive synergy. Things to note are the two psychic TR setters in Hoopa and Meloetta. It might appear that this leaves you very vulberable to dark types, but it at worst a 50-50 for the TR setter. Consider: you have meloetta/hoopa in against some fodder; opponent switches to pursuit trapper as you TR; opponent dies to focus blast. If you see a sucker punch coming instead, switch to Pangoro. Sucker punch user is now dead.

Hoopa
Depending on the rest of you team, you can choose to set this up as what I like to call a suicide TR user. Against something relatively passive, click Nasty Plot, then, click TR. Congrats you win. If this isn't to your liking, run life orb over sitrus, and use psyshock instead of NP. Hoopa has solid special defenses that allow it to force out something like keldeo. As a ghost, hoopa switches in on the fighting attacks directed at pangoro, and can spin block (and force out) starmie.

Meloetta
Meloetta is a bulky version of hoopa, that is actually able to set up TR in the face of gengar. Without u-turn, it is hard walled by sableye, so it may be wise to forgo hyper voice or psyshock to let you pivot into pangoro in this case.

Pangoro
Pangoro is a sweet pokemon that just smashes through teams under trick room. Scrappy is preferred over its other abilities, so that you can hit mega sableye. Gunk shot lets it plunder fairies. You could run super power or drain punch over hammer arm, but the "speed boost" is nice, and the damage over 2 turns is roughly the same as SP. As with meloetta, pangoro can also act as an awesome pivot under TR. With based-parting-shot, you can gain lots of momentum, switching into hoopa or meloetta to take a fighting or fairy attack directed your way. SD is an option, too, but you might want to use lum berry in that case to stop prankster will-o from the inevitable sableye switch.

This core is heavily pressure by talonflame and other strong priority, but what trick rooms teams aren't? Something to deal with fairies and some hazard setting would be nice. Perhaps chomp + magnezone for partners?

Some stupid replay that shows how silly Hoopa is under TR
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-256877463

Core 4

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 248 / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
Cofagrigus checks troublesome mons like Azumarill, M-Altaria, Talonflame and others by temporarily getting rig of their abilities or simply burning them, if possible, (it's also particularily hilarious to see Cofa eat up M-Lopunny's Fake Out before forcing it to switch out) for M-Heracross and can set up Trick Room, letting M-Heracross pave the way for an eventual sweep by another teammate (or even Cofagrigus itself). In return, M-Heracross checks Dark-types like Bisharp, T-Tar and Weavile for Cofagrigus while beneficiating from its Trick Room due to its lowered speed after MegaEvolving.

This is the only potent replay I got for now (viva la low ladder loca).
Thanks again DennisEG for building this team for me!!! Ü

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-320020448

Core 5

This core focuses on supporting Crawdaunt with Diancie and Cresselia.

Diancie's bulk allows it to set up TR reliably on many Pokemon. From there, it can do a few things. One is SR, which can sometimes be a little difficult to fit on TR teams. The other is Explode and provide a free switch in opportunity for one of your heavy hitters, like Crawdaunt here. This all aside, one thing separating Diancie from other TR setters is the ability to take on Talonflame. Between Taunt to mess with most TR setters and Brave Bird to bypass the effects of the move, Talon can be annoying to deal with for teams reliant on the strategy. As such, having a good response to the bird is crucial, and Diancie does the job well.

As stated above, after Diancie sets up TR, Explosion can be used. From there, you have the chance to bring in Crawdaunt for free and start ripping things apart. Crawdaunt is one of the most dangerous threats under TR and takes advantage of its effects well with its low speed and crazy power. There isn't a whole lot that enjoys taking a Knock Off or Crabhammer, and because of this you are able to pressure a good amount of teams once Crawdaunt is in. While TR is known to fare well against offense, it can sometimes struggle against more defensively oriented teams. That's another place Crawdaunt comes in handy as a TR sweeper, threatening these archetypes nicely. In sum, Crawdaunt wrecks stuff.

Things like Mega Venu are annoying for the two guys above. Cress helps with this issue and provides the core with another TR setter. Like Diancie, she is ridiculously bulky and sets TR reliably on the majority of things. Lunar Dance is really helpful to heal Crawdaunt back up and provide it with yet another free switch in opportunity to beat things up again. The tendency Cress has to lure in pkmn Crawdaunt can take advantage of, like Tar and Weavile, is also cool. Other than that, Cresselia's role is pretty self explanatory and she does it well.
Diancie @ Normal Gem
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Diamond Storm

I prefer Normal Gem, but Mental Herb is definitely an option over it.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Fire
- Lunar Dance

I chose HP Fire Cresselia because Mega Scizor is one of the biggest threats to this core, and punishing it for trying to set up is key. I prefer Modest over Quiet for this reason, being faster than bulky Mega Scizor and 2HKOing back (50.1 - 59.4%). Having a -Spe nature isn't entirely necessary as Cresselia is slower than most things under TR and still able to Lunar Dance/TR reliably. Weakening Ferrothorn is also really helpful for Crawdaunt and because of how annoying the thing can be for this core otherwise.

Core 6
Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Trick Room
- Memento

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Return

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick Room
Step 1: click Trick Room
Step 2: click Memento
Step 3: click Belly Drum
Step 4: watch things die

Prankster taunt prevents other taunt users ruining our day, plus prevent hazards, status etc., encore to lock a mon into recovery or setup move for even easier setup, memento to give Azu a free switch into a -2/-2 opponent for setting up. Once set-up, Azu has 2 turns left of boosted speed which usually means it's taking out 2 mons minimum, and aqua jet means it can continue the sweep after TR has worn off, as well as out-prioritising the likes of Talonflame under TR. Knock off is standard coverage and hits Ferrothorn, whereas return lures M-Venu. Victini completes a FWG core and deals with the mons which Azu can't always handle such as the aforementioned Ferro or Venu depending on the coverage move. It provides a secondary TR setter, wallbreaker, and cleaner - V-create is a literal nuke, plus, it effectively boosts speed under TR for cleaning purposes. Both Azu and Tini can perform wallbreaking and sweeping roles, they also have great offensive and defensive synergy and as such pair extremely well together.

Core 7

This core may not seem very viable, but hear me out.I think that Exploud and Reuniclus have awesome synergy with each other, as Reuniclus has the bulk to set up Trick Room reliably, as well as absorbing most forms of status. Reuniclus checks many Fighting Types, and with Trick Room in effect, it can outspeed and pick the majority off with Psychic. Reuniclus has trouble with Dark, Ghost, and Bug Types, enter Exploud. Exploud is a pretty underrated Pokemon that uses its wide movepool and awesome power to defeat Ghost Types with Scrappy, as well as brutally injuring many of the Bug and Dark Types.
Exploud @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Boomburst
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower/Surf

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet Nature
-Trick Room
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Recover
-Shadow Ball

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Got about 15 hours left for voting before I post r11. There is currently a pretty clear leader, but any last votes could seal the deal for our runner up. Best of luck for the home straight!

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK so I'll end the round here. Congratulations to Bendiving for winning this week by an absolutely staggering margin (3.33x as many votes as second place) and to our runner up Hot dog pizza. Welcome to the hall of fame as of whenever Bendiving updates it, and commiserations to anyone who's core didn't make the cut.
Core 1: 1
Core 2: 3
Core 3: 1
Core 4: 2
Core 5: 2
Core 6: 10
Core 7: 2
Round 11
Theme: E Rank
Building condition: the core must feature at least one Pokémon who is not listed on the viability rankings.
Additional notes when building: please make sure that the Pokemon has a legitimate reason to be used over another Pokémon. Just because you are have to use stuff not on the VR, doesn't mean that you can fire crappy or 100% outclassed 'mons at us. Please explain the niche that your Pokemon has in the description of the core.

Please be aware that we will be omitting any cores that feature a Pokémon that we feel do not provide a solid enough niche to warrant their use over another Pokemon, and this includes if the description provided is not sufficient enough to convince us of the niche - so make our jobs easy and be detailed about why your Pokémon is worth using over something else.

I very almost gave you clues of Pokémon with niches, but that wouldn't be any fun would it? Best of luck to you all!
:mad:

Last edited:
Just a heads up that the rules in the OP have been updated to reflect the newer, stricter themes, & to ensure the continued high quality of submissions. Format is still the same. Carry on :]

SH*TMON OUT OF HELL
Spike Stacking Offense

Where's mah body (Glalie-Mega) @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Spikes
- Super Fang / Explosion
- Freeze-Dry / Weather Ball

Malthus (Keldeo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Tickle me elmo (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge / Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave / Taunt

Glalie is one of the only true wall breakers that can learn Spikes. Its explosion is also unparalleled in damage.

Glalie sets spikes, or obliterates whatever is across from it. Keldeo takes out the fires/steels/rocks that bother glalie. Thundurus handles burds and pressures opposing waters. Defiant on Thundurus threatens defoggers, and between it and keldeo, all spinners are forced out from spinning. Once all the grass and water types are out of the way, Keldeo is usually free to set up and win. Secret tier variant of this core is used on a rain team. Glalie uses weatherball (150 bp water lol), keldeo switches to specs, and thundurus can use thunder.

Glalie
Double edge is for killing things. spikes can be set against more passive things, and weak down keldeo's checks. Super fang and explosion are for crippling or destroying annoying things like mega scizor or various fatmons. Freeze-dry deals with slow waters that think they can switch in.

Keldeo
pretty simple set. Smacks everything that glalie can't. Acts as a switch in on opposing waters. Some HP evs could be tweaked for betters subs.

Thundurus
This is normally bisharp in this type of core, but that's lame, so here's thundurus. The bolt to glalie's beam.
The electric STAB can be whatever you like, since most waters are scared away, anyway, but wild charge destroys things that switch in expecting T-Bolt. Superpower and knockoff are nice coverage and smack stuff hard after a boost. The last slot can be t-wave for speed control for the 100-110 tier that bother glalie and keldeo, or alternatively, taunt for beating stally mons.

This core is still a little weak to burd spam, so TTar might be nice (weather ball would be 100 bp special rock type, eh). Mega Venusaur is also a pain if you run into a defensive variant, so pack some burds yourself.

Infernal

Banned deucer.

Rotom-W - Slurpuff - Mega Pinsir

I have seen some people make use of Belly Drum Slurpuff in OU before, and it can be a fun Pokemon to use when pulled off correctly. It works off the same idea as BD Azumarill: make use of its good typing to grab +6 and attempt to sweep afterwards. Slurpuff has two differentiating characteristics, however: Unburden and Drain Punch. The speed gain from Unburden is very useful to prevent several Pokemon from revenge killing you and stopping your sweep, while Drain Punch is helpful for recovery purposes and taking down the likes of Ferrothorn. The speed is especially something Azumarill wishes for, and is the main reason to ever consider Slurpuff over it besides the cool factor.

While fun, Slurpuff does have its issues. It's vulnerable to revenge kills from the likes of Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Excadrill, and BP Mega Metagross. Unlike Azumarill, +6 Slurpuff is still relatively weak and incapable of KOing Pokemon like Skarmory, Hippowdon, and defensive Landorus-T in one blow. This is where the other core members come in.

Rotom-W is a great check to all of the Pokemon mentioned, and does a good job of covering Slurpuff's issues in general. Volt Switch is also handy to provide free switch in opportunities for Slurpuff. Since Slurpuff isn't exactly the easiest Pokemon to bring in, this is helpful support. Mega Pinsir's brute strength places extreme pressure on the likes of Skarmory and several bulky grounds with its powerful attacks. Backed by SD, Mega Pinsir is more than capable of putting them in range for Slurpuff to kill later. Moreover, Mega Pinsir scares away Mega Venusaur, a big contribution since the gen 1 starter lives +6 Slurpuff's attacks and walls Rotom-W. Like Slurpuff, Mega Pinsir also appreciates the threats Rotom-W covers and the ability to be brought in for free by Volt Switch.

That's it! I really like the theme for this week because of how many fun options there are to explore o:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return
- Belly Drum

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Martin

In case you haven't worked it out yet I'm not Mr. Nice Guy like Bendiving is as I am not gonna like every single submission. IK I am truly evil >:D

On a more serious note, submissions have been a bit slow this week, and I kind of understand why tbh. W/e tho I have a core to submit as an attempt to maybe get activity up a bit.
Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 44 HP / 224 Def / 240 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Pain Split / Yawn
- Earth Power

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Grass Knot
#FreeWobbuffet
Before I start, I'd like to apologise for bending the rules a little by including a slash on Stunfisk's set. The reasoning for this is because they are both equally valuable assets for the core, so the one which is used is very much dependent on the makeup of the remaining three team members.

This is a revamped version of a core that I originally showcased in one of my RMTs back before the days of Wobbuffet's persecution ban. It is an offensive darkspam core featuring Stunfisk to fill multiple roles on the team. Things that your average darkspam team needs to cover includes VoltTurn, fast electrics, Thunder Wave and birds. In addition, filling the role of Stealth Rock user is an absolute must for such teams maximise the rate at which they can wear down each other's checks, and having something which can provide support by being on the field alone is extremely welcome to such teams. On most teams Helmet Lando-T or FatChomp will suffice to fill this role, but on frailer builds I have had success with this badboy due to a number of shortcomings that that twosome faces with regards to the role.

Firstly, Stunfisk is capable of acting as a guaranteed switch-in v.s. electrics due to the big three failing to 2HKO it with HP Ice before a boost and it taking a measly 40 BP hit from Grass Knot, making it an even weaker hit v.s. it than HP Ice. In addition to this, its access to Static allows for it to provide lots of passive support when used in conjunction with Rocky Helmet, being capable of very easily crippling physical attackers like Talonflame, Bisharp and Mega Pinsir which it commonly switches in on. Its access to STAB Discharge allows it to spread paralysis quickly without sacrificing the ability to combat Talonflame and Mega Pinsir consistently, and its capable of pressuring MMan and Raikou with its ground STAB. It's access to Pain Split also sets it apart because it allows it to take advantage of things which try to use it for a free switch-in (namely electric immunities, although resistances are also problematic - albeit pressured by Discharge's high paralysis rate and Static only adding to the pressure in the case of contact users) to heal and to put a dent into them, making it easier for them to be overwhelmed by its teammates. Yawn is also of note for its ability to help Stunfisk retain momentum v.s. stuff that tries to come in on it - namely Lati@s (helps you retain rocks and stops them using you for a free switch-in), Landorus (forces it to U-turn/switch out while providing a buffer against EQ, allowing Weavile to come in for free and guarantee a Swords Dance) and other miscellanious Defog/Rapid Spin users - and provide lots of support to Stunfisk's teammates - allowing for easy set-up.

Credit to -Magic- for the EV spread. It is better suited to the current metagame than the one that I had been using up until recently was due to the decline in AV Raikou usage making modest+152 offensive investment unnecessary for the most part. It hits 370 HP and the final defense jump point while maximising Stunfisk's SpD stat with what is left, allowing for very solid overall bulk and making it more consistent at being able to blanket check stuff repeatedly. I believe I have already covered the purpose of the moves, but Rocky Helmet and Static are musts due to the sheer amount of passive support that they bring to the table.

Now onto the sets of the darkspam core. Bisharp is a mixed variant with Grass Knot to lure and eliminate Quagsire consistently, which is otherwise a big headache for the core to face, and I have opted for Lonely because +Spe Bisharp is too weak for my tastes. The reasoning behind going -Def>-SpD is because there is actually a hit that it needs the extra points in SpD to take. I can't remember what it was but ages ago someone calced a load of shit and it needed it for the hit. As for Weavile, I opted for SD because it is a completely monstrous set which also takes advantage of the momentum that Yawn brings to the table to get free setup turns.
Mwahaha! I beat -Magic- to a Stunfisk core.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)