Resource ORAS OU Sets Viability Rankings V3 - Thread Closed (See Post #147)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just one minor nitpick: Kyurem's Sub+Roost Rest is now in C Rank, but its set isn't (currently stated C-).

And one question: Togekiss' Nastyplot set is in B+, can you specify which one do you mean? In the Dex, there're two sets, the Stallbreaker Nastyplot Set (offensive), and the SpD Nastypass Set.

Thank you!

EDIT:
Same with M-Camerupt. Now in C- Rank, Set stated as C Rank. And Ditto is now unranked, but yeah. It's new.

That should be it, thank you. :)

Last edited:
Also, why doublade and aren't listed?
Doublade is listed now. Not sure if there's another mon missing or not. Let me know if there is.

Hey, just one minor nitpick: Kyurem's Sub+Roost Rest is now in C Rank, but its set isn't (currently stated as C-).

And one question: Togekiss' Nastyplot set is in B+, can you specify which one do you mean? In the Dex, there're two sets, the Stallbreaker Nastyplot Set (offensive), and the SpD Nastypass Set.

Thank you!

Edit: Same with M-Camerupt. Now in C- Rank, Set stated as C Rank. And Ditto is now unranked, but yeah. It's new.

That should be it, thank you. :)
Fixed Kyurem's and Mega-Camerupt's placements.

About Togekiss: Not really sure how to go about this tbh. The set I had in mind when I made the ranking was the stallbreaker set. Does the BP set warrant its own ranking? Interested to see what others have to say. BP Toge is frustratingly slow and the SR weakness hurts, but its bulk and typing are pretty great, and the BP set still maintains some of the stall breaking capabilities of the fully offensive set, so I could see it warranting an individual ranking.

Doublade is listed now. Not sure if there's another mon missing or not. Let me know if there is.

Fixed Kyurem's and Mega-Camerupt's placements.

About Togekiss: Not really sure how to go about this tbh. The set I had in mind when I made the ranking was the stallbreaker set. Does the BP set warrant its own ranking? Interested to see what others have to say. BP Toge is frustratingly slow and the SR weakness hurts, but its bulk and typing are pretty great, and the BP set still maintains some of the stall breaking capabilities of the fully offensive set, so I could see it warranting an individual ranking.
Mienshao

Why is there no mention of offensive Slowking sets? With the same offensive stats, the ability to run a +SpA nature and regenerator to offset life orb you have a potential wallbreaker/TR sweeper.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 220 SpA / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

Slowking @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room

Toxicroak can also run a (clearly inferior) greedy All-out attacker set with Ice Punch on teams that desperately lack coverage.

ScarfTran could probably go to A. Not exactly the most consistent set in the world but surprisingly effective. Probably needs to run Timid nowadays but huge high risk high reward potential. It can switch in on a ton of stuff in OU to some degree outside of Keldeo. Great for getting the jump on Metagross, Gengar, Diancie, Pinsir, and a bunch of other things that think that they can pick you off with whatever coverage they have. Of course the risk is that you switch into the wrong coverage move but overall solid omni-check to a bunch of stuff.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'd probably consider bumpin Scolis offensive set to B-. It's better than C+ just takes a bit of work to get it going with fat grounds around. I think Scarf Thundy-T should go to C simply for the fact Agility set is just way better if you want something for speed.

could these actually have the pkmn's name, it's impossible to search any set's viability v efficiently

Weavile: A- > A
Mega Medicham: B- > B
Tentacruel: B+ > B

Why is there no mention of offensive Slowking sets? With the same offensive stats, the ability to run a +SpA nature and regenerator to offset life orb you have a potential wallbreaker/TR sweeper.

Toxicroak can also run a (clearly inferior) greedy All-out attacker set with Ice Punch on teams that desperately lack coverage.
I'll add the offensive Nasty Plot set for Slowking. TR seems pretty niche, so I'm a bit skeptical about adding it. I'm just thinking that 100 base special attack without boosting (aside from LO) is pretty underwhelming, and something like Reuniclus could pull off an offensive TR set more effectively. If anyone has replays showing what TR Slowking can do, I would be open to adding it though.

Toxicroak's AoA set functions pretty similarly to the SD set - it really just comes down to choosing between coverage and boosting. Not sure they deserve separate rankings.

ScarfTran could probably go to A. Not exactly the most consistent set in the world but surprisingly effective. Probably needs to run Timid nowadays but huge high risk high reward potential. It can switch in on a ton of stuff in OU to some degree outside of Keldeo. Great for getting the jump on Metagross, Gengar, Diancie, Pinsir, and a bunch of other things that think that they can pick you off with whatever coverage they have. Of course the risk is that you switch into the wrong coverage move but overall solid omni-check to a bunch of stuff.
I agree. Done.

I'd probably consider bumpin Scolis offensive set to B-. It's better than C+ just takes a bit of work to get it going with fat grounds around. I think Scarf Thundy-T should go to C simply for the fact Agility set is just way better if you want something for speed.
Agree with both. Done.

could these actually have the pkmn's name, it's impossible to search any set's viability v efficiently
I'll try to figure something out.

Edit: Celticpride That's a really good idea. I'll just call it offensive.

Last edited:
theurbandear you coukd probably throw both Nasty Plot Slowking and Offensive Trick Room Slowking under some kind of "set-up Slowking" category as the EVs and movesets on the two are usually similar and Trick Room could be seen as a way of setting-up.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Probably want to separate Weavile's sets into SD and pursuit trapper, all being A rank (also possibly AoA with low kick)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Defensive mega Venusaur > A

The set is honestly on par with the offensive set, if not better. The reason being because it can live hits that the offensive set can't, with the biggest example being Landorus Is a earth power. Given that psychic is practically nonexistent at this point, having a mon that can beat it 1v1 especially on a balance team is incredibly important and often overlooked, since this requires SpDef investment (which is by no means a burden on Venu). Furthermore, defensive Venusaur is not nearly as pressured by "water spam" as the offensive set is due to the fact that it takes on average 20ish percent less from important attacks like scalds and play roughs, which gives it a buffer against these mons to be able to actually attack and not have to spam synthesis to stay healthy. This really comes into play when mega Venu gets burned. Moreover, defensive mega Venu takes on mons such as Mega Diancie and Bisharp much better than offensive variants because a random SpDef drop or iron head flinch won't spell its doom. Yeah it's hax but it's still something that can make or break a game, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Granted, the defensive set is much less threatening to its checks than the offensive set, but this issue is all but mitigated by the added defensive utility that is invaluable in many scenarios.
Reposting cuz I haven't seen anything on this

theurbandear you coukd probably throw both Nasty Plot Slowking and Offensive Trick Room Slowking under some kind of "set-up Slowking" category as the EVs and movesets on the two are usually similar and Trick Room could be seen as a way of setting-up.
Pretty much, yeah. Slowking has more "traditional" coverage over Reuniclus but the fact that you need to hide the set would have made it a solid ben gay rank.

AoA Tox I feel is strictly inferior to SD, and I feel that it deserves a mention as a "don't use that, use this" set.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is Espeon still ranked? GeoPass is genuine ass and Espeon isn't even ranked on the main rankings anymore.

Hey uh, so I noticed that a Pursuit Mega Metagross isn't listed (unless it's just merged with the AoA set), but even then, -Clone- has a Metagross analysis that actually has Pursuit MMeta as a separate set.

The togekiss analysis have changed a lot, now both defensive and offensive sets are NP sets, but i Guess here defensive is used to refere to the defensive paraflinch set right?

LO and Sub Punch should be listed on Emboar sets as they are easily Emboar's best sets, far outclassing choiced Emboar.
In fact these sets are the reason Emboar needs to get the hell out of D rank but every time it escapes people send it back in...

Rotom heat is c- rank now
That ranking change and others were made last night, and I just haven't got around to updating the OP yet. Not trying to be rude, but there's no need to clutter the thread with reminders/one liners like this. For the record, I promise I'm still keeping track of VR changes, and I'll add them when I can. However if I don't make a change for a couple of days or something, just PM me bro. n_n

LO and Sub Punch should be listed on Emboar sets as they are easily Emboar's best sets, far outclassing choiced Emboar.
In fact these sets are the reason Emboar needs to get the hell out of D rank but every time it escapes people send it back in...
I can see a LO set being usable, so I'll add that. I'm not familiar with Emboar at all though, so could you elaborate some on the SubPunch set? It just seems awfully team specific with the amount of support it would require. However, never used it, so I could be entirely wrong.

Skarmory: A- > A
Rotom-Heat: D > C-
Slowking: B > B+

I have lots of experience with emboar and yeah LO is definitely it's best set, followed by choice band. I really don't like scarf at all cuz it just takes away the whole point of using emboar which is being a wallbreaker. I haven't used subpunch but it didn't get a set on the analysis and it just seems mediocre cuz you lose out on a coverage move, either wild charge or head smash or sucker punch.

(Credit to Jaroda)

Emboar@Leftovers
Reckless
Adamant 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch

The set basically works like this. The threat of Reckless Flare Blitz forces a lot of switches, allowing for free Substitutes. From behind a Substitute, Emboar can fire off its extremely high powered STAB moves to fill anything switching in with regret. Plus, you have Sucker Punch which is also Terrific behind subs because they are forced to attack you. Sucker Punch can KO lots of common threats like Gengar, Latios and Mega Alakazam, which often try to revenge Emboar. Substitute on Emboar is a terrific thing, with Leftovers recovery making a massive difference in terms of longativity, given how many switches Emboar can cause. Focus Punch's power practically matches that of Reckless Flare Blitz, and doesn't force Emboar to switch out after use like Super Power or Hammer Arm. The set allows you to invest more in HP rather than speed, given that 2 of your moves aren't affected by speed, and Sub is easier to keep is you move second. That said, there is still enough speed to out run uninvested base 80s like Heatran and Mega Venusaur. Heatran in particular is good because non-Earth Power variants are free Subs, but sometimes stay in to try Toxic. The sets deadliness is undeniable against balance and bulky offense. Also many things on HO hate Sucker Punch, and are forced to try break your subs which you can get up against their leads and Bisharps. The flexibility to switch moves, far more longativity than any other Emboar set (to the point where it is hardly even an issue), Protection from Sub, ridiculously high BP STABs, being able to stay in after using Fighting STAB, as well as strong priority from Sucker Punch, actually leave very little to be desired. Imo this is Emboar's best set and Jaroda who 1st came up with the concept initially stated he would put it as high as B-.
Also worth noting that this set is the least comparable to Victini which I think is why people shot Emboar so low.

Here are some replays of Jaroda using SubPunch Emboar from the Emboar thread:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206392643
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206403818

Also I couldn't find any of my experiences with SubPunch Emboar, but these both showcase LO Emboar behind subs, and in both cases SubPunch would have performed better:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-208455615 - SubPunch Emboar would have Sucker Punched Chandy to keep Sub and gets 1 or 2 more kills before switching out, also would've been able to sustain itself enough to take Scizor and gets all 6 KOs.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-205488986 - Obviously Focus Punch would have worked far better than Super Power in this situation but it didn't matter.

So yeah, SubPunch should definitely be listed under Emboar sets, in fact I'd like to see it put as a C- set at least, but then it wouldn't make sense so long as Emboar remains D for some stupid reason.

The VR thread has a small update. Adding these changes in the morning cause I'm tired. I would assume that some other changes are incoming based on Lando-I's exit from the metagame, but we shall see.

Alakazam: B+ > A-
Mega Tyranitar: B- > B
Jellicent: Unranked > D
Meloetta: Unranked > D
Banette (Mega): Unranked > C
Medicham (Mega): B > B+
Doublade: D > Unranked

Here's a list of stuff to talk about. I just copied and pasted some stuff from the list from the main thread. n_n
Charizard X - Incredibly threatening at the moment to all sorts of team archetypes thanks to good bulk/typing paired with the raw power of Tough Claws.
Scolipede - Speed Boost is one the most helpful abilities in the metagame. Scol finds uses on hazard stacking/baton pass teams, but offensive sets seem to be on the rise as well.
Reuniclus - Reuni found a huge niche in BW, but its presence in XY/ORAS is on the rise as well. Good bulk, solid movepool, and an amazing ability are all in Reuni's favor, but a meh typing and low speed can hold it back.
Excadrill - Sand Offense is as strong as ever, and both scarf and defensive Drills have been on the rise as of late.

Edit: One more thing to talk about, Meloetta was recently added at D rank, but I have no idea what sets it runs. If anyone wants to clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)