Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

p2

Banned deucer.
SD Pass is probably the most effective way to run it, but Sharpedo always works best as a late game cleaner when priority faster mons can't revenge kill it. It's usually paired with stuff to remove the likes of Azumarill, Breloom, Skarmory, just stuff that resists its stabs and is capable of ohkoing in return

Best way to run M-Sharpedo in OU?
Usally as a cleaner or endgame sweeper. Its really good at this job but due to its frailness usally only gets 1 shot at sweeping without healing wish support hence the term endgame sweeper.

Usually the set is Waterfall, Crunch, Protect, Aqua Jet/Hydropump. Basically come in late game. Protect for speedboost and then mega evolve to sweep

Edit: Crap ninjaed again. Curse you fleggumfl

SD Pass is probably the most effective way to run it, but Sharpedo always works best as a late game cleaner when priority faster mons can't revenge kill it. It's usually paired with stuff to remove the likes of Azumarill, Breloom, Skarmory, just stuff that resists its stabs and is capable of ohkoing in return
Piggybacking off of this, there used to be a core in the old Good Cores thread consisting of Sharpedo + Coba Berry HP Rock Serperior + Cheri Berry Natural Gift Gyarados. The idea was that Serp + Gyara could lure in a ton of Sharpedo checks and counters, such as Natural Gift Cheri Berry luring Ferrothorn, Serperior luring Talonflame, etc. If you're really into using lures, you could definitely take a look at jpw234's core, here.

Chansey outclasses Blissey almost fully and Lando getting banned put the final nail in the coffin, because Blissey was a more consistent answer to Lando because it could actually deal damage with Ice Beam
I dont even see that core, skarmory lost a lot of popularity...

the real question was, its viability stopped?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I dont even see that core, skarmory lost a lot of popularity...

the real question was, its viability stopped?
No, ChanSkarm (the 6th gen equivalent to SkarmBliss unless you hate Gothitelle and speedy Wobb) is still the primary defensive core seen on stall for exactly the same reasons its amazing in gen 4.

So, I've recently been playing a lot of OU, and I've been wondering which Mega mon I should use. Here's a summary of my team:

-CB Slaking
-Intimidate Salamence
-Willo+Hex Gengar
-Scrappy Pangoro
-Venusaur
-Slowbro

Now, I was wondering- should I make Venusaur or Slowbro my mega? Slowbro has insane Defense, but Thick Fat is an amazing ability that helps balance Venusaur's two main weaknesses. What do you guys think?

-CB Slaking
-Intimidate Salamence
-Willo+Hex Gengar
-Scrappy Pangoro
-Venusaur
-Slowbro
First order of business: Please don't use Choice Band Slaking. If you absolutely need a powerhouse dishing out strong normal type attacks, use Huge Power Diggersby, which doesn't have the terrible ability Truant and can break a lot of things well.

Could you also elaborate a little bit on how each Pokemon is meant to work as part of the team?

So, I've recently been playing a lot of OU, and I've been wondering which Mega mon I should use. Here's a summary of my team:

-CB Slaking
-Intimidate Salamence
-Willo+Hex Gengar
-Scrappy Pangoro
-Venusaur
-Slowbro

Now, I was wondering- should I make Venusaur or Slowbro my mega? Slowbro has insane Defense, but Thick Fat is an amazing ability that helps balance Venusaur's two main weaknesses. What do you guys think?
You dont really want to gift your enemy a free turn for boosting or switching in Keldeo/Terrakion because of truant.

Could you explain a bit how the team works?

Last edited:

-CB Slaking
-Intimidate Salamence
-Willo+Hex Gengar
-Scrappy Pangoro
-Venusaur
-Slowbro

Given that the purpose of this thread is: simple questions, simple answers, I'm going to simply say make Venusaur your mega, for the sole reason that normal Slowbro holds a lot more viability in OU than normal Venusaur (which only has a very small niche on sun teams). If you opt for a defensive poison/grass pokemon you're better off using Amoonguss (forming a nice regenarator core with Slowbro before mega evolving).

Now for the answers given to you above and detailed explanations about your team etc, I don't believe this thread to be the place to do that. Check out the Rate My Team forums (http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/oras-ou-teams.261/), in which you can seek help improving your team and you can provide detailed explanations about the role of each member on your team, and the raters will help you further.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Speedy Wobb is the best M-Cam partner outside of TR setters. TR Diancie lets u set up TR w/o stacking weaknesses w/ Wobb.

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 124 Def / 128 SpD / 228 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Tickle
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Raunchyislife

So I wanted to make a team with a Swords Dance Venusaur. Its main purpose is to lure in Heatran and KO it with Earthquake, but when the surprise value doesn't count in the match, I need Venusaur to perform best with other matchups. My question is: should I use a more offensive spread or a defensive spread? What threats should I EV it for?
Here is the set:
Venusaur@Venusaurite
-Synthesis (for longevity, since this set doesn't have giga drain)
-Swords Dance
-Power Whip (obligatory STAB)
-Earthquake

Here are the two I have been thinking about:
Adamant
240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spe
This spread hits the standard speed benchmark for mega Venusaur: outspeeding adamant Azumarill (this one only needs 16 in speed since it does not have HP fire). Other than that, it just hits as hard as possible.

Impish
248 HP/100 Def/144 SDef/16 Spe
This spread is the same as the one on the defensive set on the Smogdex. I like it because it can live a Psychic from Life Orb Alakazam and can take hits from other things on the physical side. However, while this is good for a defensive set, a SD set would not be able to set up on an Alakazam, so I'm not sure this is an important benchmark. In addition, the defensive set is often run with HP fire for Ferrothorn and Scizor, but the SD set can't deal with these.

Perhaps neither of these is ideal for this set. It's hard to use the guides on the smogdex to know what to prepare for because this set would have a slightly different set of checks and counters. I need an EV spread that allows Venusaur to set up on the widest variety of Pokemon while still being a reliable lure for Heatran, which the rest of my team will depend on it to remove.

I searched King's Rock and found nothing on it, but I thought it had been banned since gen 3, yet I just got fucked by a Shell Smash + Skill Link Cloyster with one. Have it and Brightpowder been legalized, and if so, what the fuck man.

I'm next to positive Brightpowder was at least. If King's Rock really isn't banned, it should be. 41% flinch rate is uncompetitive, and SG paraflinch with it is even worse. Just doing the math in my head, I think it's 75%, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm next to positive Brightpowder was at least. If King's Rock really isn't banned, it should be. 41% flinch rate is uncompetitive, and SG paraflinch with it is even worse. Just doing the math in my head, I think it's 75%, but I'm probably wrong.
1) From memory, Brightpowder was never banned, just frowned upon.

2) King's Rock + Skill Link gives 41 % chance to flinch but the only ones abusing it are Cloyster and Miccino. Both of them have minimal impact in OU.

3) King's Rock doesn't stack when the move already has a chance to flinch naturally.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)